DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lodgingdolphin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17703 6 years ago

I just got my Alien today from CT and so far so good. The head was fairly simple to install, but it didn't boot up the first power on. The screen froze on text saying is was booting the kernal or something like that. I turned it on and off and then it booted up fine. It's needed a few adjustments. The air lock scoop was taking several tries to kick the ball out. A quick adjustment to metal flap fixed that. Also adjusted the slingshot switch, some stand ups, and a switch in the xenomorph head that checks the extents of the tongue. The right 180 ramp sits below the playfield level significantly. A weak shot that doesn't make it can get stuck up against the edge of the playfield. It took tilting out to get the ball loose. I'll have to investigate that to see what can be done. All the lighting appears to be working correctly.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it and my only real concern is future issues and support.

#17705 6 years ago

My backbox and side art light up fine. Played a half dozen games or so tonight. Almost got the hypersleep multiball once, but missed the third lock shot and drained on ball three. I wasn't having any issues making it up that lock ramp with clean shots. How did you hook up the subwoofer?

#17707 6 years ago

No beacons or shaker. Here is a pic. The game is now covered in plastic as I’m in the middle of a basement remodel.

F56296E2-5ED7-4985-A79A-71CA2CDF0747 (resized).jpegF56296E2-5ED7-4985-A79A-71CA2CDF0747 (resized).jpeg

#17714 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

When you boot up your game and just let it sit (attact mode) does your alien mech make a buzzing noise (glass off to hear it)? My alien has worked fine but it does make a noise before playing. Once I start, with the glass on, I can't hear anything let alone when music plays.

I'm pretty I heard this noise when I had the glass off and was adjusting switches. I'll have to check again to confirm.

Quoted from delt31:

so I noticed tonight that when I press my flippers it causes some of the lower lamps to change color.

I didn't notice that, but I wasn't looking for it while I was playing either. That's another thing I will have to check for tonight when I get home from work. In the video you posted I saw that the magnet didn't hold the ball for the xenomorph to eat it. Does that happen a lot for you? It happened twice so far on mine.

#17772 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so I noticed tonight that when I press my flippers it causes some of the lower lamps to change color. I'm not sure this is normal. You can see it in my video below. Right flipper turns on almost all the lights around on and off colors. Left seems to just enable some lights on the bottom right.
Any owners confirm if yours change color too when pressing flippers? Seems odd:

Mine does the same.

#17835 6 years ago

delt31 Do your start and launch buttons light up? I've never seen my light up.

#17840 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Quoted from Indypin:and on the outside was a small note stating something about "before you power up the machine, be sure to replace these fuses

I didn't notice a bag with fuses on mine. Luckily I didn't throw away any of the packaging yet.

#17855 6 years ago

I'll check for the fuses tonight. I guess I also need to see if there is something disconnected for my button lights.

#18060 6 years ago
Quoted from swenny:

Wish I could tell everyone how great Alien is. Unfortunately, after spending several hours setting it up, cleaning the filthy metal ramps, mylaring the relevant areas and finally grinding off a burr on one of the ramps that was exactly where a pinball would hit it, I got ready to turn it on and play for the first time. Started up fine, went into test mode and the tongue came out and stayed out like this. Switch test showed a stuck switch, but without any documentation it's hard to know what to do.
I guess now I wait until Monday and see if I can find some tech support. Disappointed to say the least.

I had the same issue. I removed the xeno head and adjusted the normally closed switch that opens at both extents of the tongue rod. The switch arm on mine was bent and wouldnt open up properly. There is a screw on the back end of the tongue rod that was in too far. The gap it made was too small and I think that’s what screwed up the switch. Now it works great every time.

3 weeks later
#18662 6 years ago

Lower left flipper shoots the ball to the far left saucer. The ball kicks out to feed to upper left flipper. Nail that shot up through the chestburster lane right into the lit chestburster target towards another lifecycle completion. The ball rolls back down the chestburster lane to feed the upper right flipper. Then hit a clean shot up the hypersleep ramp for a ball lock. IMO, one of the most satisfying combos in pinball. It's not easy, but I've done it on several occasions. I've only started hypersleep multiball a few times, but that's a good thing. It has some amazing sounds when it begins and the rarity of starting it is what gives the pin a "just one more game" feel.

#18664 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

How about that sound and accompanying video of the Alien when you complete Lifecycle? You can feel the slime coming out of it's mouth it's so sick. I've also got that mb only a few times (life cycle and hypersleep) Wich makes it special when you get it.

I've only completed three life cycles once so far. I agree, ambush and sentry gun multiballs are fairly common so it's nice having a few others that are more difficult to reach. Do you know the rules to the rescue mode? I've started it a few times, but don't really understand the rules associated with it. Actually, is there a decent rulesheet out there somewhere? I've seen green and yellow shots lit during ambush and I don't know what they mean.

#18668 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I also want to know about rescue as I've seen the same but no idea how I scored it. I know it's happening bc the game plays this really spooky music and I'm able to hit the xeno which I believe it moves it's jaw after I do so. It'sa really cool mode.

I recall hitting some shots during rescue and I believe it called out crew members names. Not to be confused with crew member name call outs during Combat Drop. I think you start rescue by dropping the APC targets a number of times. Not exactly sure on that either. All this Alien talk...I might need to go home sick from work...cough cough.

#18675 6 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

OK, while I've generally just been giving little snippets of info about game features, I'll actually throw out full information on Rescue, because it's not well explained on the game... this is something that needs to be made more clear.
Rescue is a hybrid hurryup/frenzy feature. It's started by completing the APC drop targets *in order* (A, P, C) X times (X is operator adjustable, and gets harder [and more valuable] after each Rescue). You'll know you're doing them in order because the APC inserts will light gold instead of green as you drop targets. When Rescue begins, a point value will start counting down (a hurryup). While this hurryup is going, completing the APC drops again (doesn't have to be in order) will boost the hurryup value and continue the hurryup.
Shooting the Xeno during the hurryup will collect and freeze the hurryup point value, which then becomes the switch value for a switch frenzy... i.e. all switches are worth this value, for a timed period. You can extend the Rescue timer as much as you want by hitting the Xeno. However, there is a catch: you're not awarded the frenzy points directly... they go into a pot. You must complete the APC targets again (doesn't have to be in order) to complete the Rescue and collect the pot. So basically: feel free to extend the timer forever and keep racking up crazy frenzy points, but don't drain or time-out before cashing out the APC drops or it all goes bye-bye. Rescue is stackable in any order with everything except All Out War, so clearly it's most valuable when played with a multiball... although errant balls might complete APC before you want and end the Rescue early, so be careful.
(At some point I had a "duh!" moment and noted a rule enhancement where cashing out the frenzy by completing the APC drops in order should award extra value... that isn't the case in v1.02 but will be in a future version.)
There is a narrative around this feature, with the APC bringing in the Marines, who get into a firefight with Xeno killing a-plenty, but it only matters if the Marines can escape again on the APC... hopefully we'll be able to present more of that narrative in future code updates.
Enjoy!

Great explanation. I've noticed that sometimes the drop targets light up gold and now I know why. Looking forward to getting back into Rescue with this knowledge.

1 month later
#19441 6 years ago

I’m following the heighway instructions but I can’t get the update to load. Any trick to this not mentioned in the instructions? I have he newer computer and it’s currently on 1.02.

#19468 6 years ago

Still have the same issue after buying two new usb Sandisk drives. Still reboots as 1.02 after attempting update.

#19479 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Yeah, you put the .upd file on the thumb drive.

I have the tar file now. how do i go about getting the upd file out?

#19489 6 years ago

I just downloaded the new upd file from Heighway and success! V1.1 installed and working great! What a frustrating day though.

#19502 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

So I'm still at work but I've read about alot of folks having problems. As a Windows user what is the trick?

Heighway fixed the file. You should be all set of you download it now. It’s a great update too.

#19510 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Did the code fix the bug around raising in game lights brightness causing side lights on cab turning off? Sorry haven't installed yet back at work

That is fixed according to the readme file. I haven't personally tested it out yet.

2 weeks later
#19721 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

There was 'disco flicker'on this unit, but it was barely noticeable, unlike the example Buffalo streamed.

That was my game that streamed recently and that flicker has greatly improved with the new code, which came a few weeks after the stream. It's too bad the timing didn't work out better.

#19763 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

There are reports of a couple of games where the scoop was shooting the ball out so hard that is was hitting the top and then slamming right back down on the edge of the hole...no playfield could survive that. Mine never did that...sounds like most of the others didn't either. I played mine with no protection for a while...then added the Cliffy when he came out with one...mine looks brand new.

Mine had this issue with the kick out from the scoop. I noticed it pretty early on and adjusted the scoop hood to correct it. I also added mylar and eventually a cliffy protector.

2 months later
#20489 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

My game is now officially 'un-playable'.

Check to see if the balls have become magnetized. I had some serious issues with that until I found some pinballs that worked. The game would spit out too many balls and/or end early during regular play or end early during MB. If that isn't the issue perhaps there is a loose connector on the trough opto boards. It would be worth checking the switch test for those.

The Xeno tongue sticking out is an issue with the 1.1 code. When that happens I would turn off the game and manually push the tongue back in place until the switch was triggered. That issue is corrected in the next code update, which hopefully is released soon. In the meantime you can disable the tongue in the menus.

#20491 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

MOTHER F*CKER!! Just as I posted the above - started another game and got two ball spitting out on ball one.....grrrrrr...

Did you take out the balls to see if they are magnetized?

#20501 6 years ago
Quoted from violinfather:

My other complaint is the trough on the airlock which sometimes fails to kick out a ball when I inadvertently shoot two balls into it during multiball. Maybe I can adjust the power on the trough kickout. It eventually does kick the balls out but it takes a little time.

Sounds like you have the old airlock scoop design. You should request the new one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

9,799 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lodgingdolphin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=lodgingdolphin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.