Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Playfield damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #8 Insert damage assessment. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #34 How to sand your new inserts flat. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Post #35 Cleaning old glue out of the insert holes. Posted by vid1900 (11 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider la_porta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3048 8 years ago

Vid, I just got my first machine, and I have been reading over your guides. Incredible work, and I commend you on being gracious enough to share this with everyone. My Firepower board isn't too bad at all, the only real wear that needs to have paint applied to it are the areas the the ball has worn down as a result of cupped or sunken inserts. At this point, it is nice enough that I don't want to pull everything and clear over the play field. I just want to make localized repair. I saw elsewhere someone uses either polycrylic or that other stuff that you recommended to "build up" the inserts and then sand them down. I'm scared to death of sanding them down...and the paint around it as well. I figured it might be easier to pull them out as per your guide, touch up the paint on the actual insert itself, and then coat the top of them with this leveling compound. After it had dried, I was hoping to use your method for leveling new inserts to fit to get it flat, and then re-install and glued it.

So the short question is: do you think this could work? Any downsides to it?

Here's an overview of the play field, you can see around the multiplier lights there are a few touchups that I need to do, but that overall it's not bad.

IMG_0782_(resized).jpgIMG_0782_(resized).jpg

#3050 8 years ago

I'd love to...perhaps I can find a spare play field and use that as the basis of a restoration, so that I don't jeopardize what I already have. Specific to firepower: how would you suggest painting any of that insane, splatter-pattern planet?

#3074 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did the old owner brush varnish on the playfield?

Kind of appears that way in the photos, doesn't it?

1 week later
#3105 7 years ago

Vid: any experience with Liquitex or Spectratex paints? They are available locally for me.

#3113 7 years ago

Vid, any experience with this type of wax? Trying to find local stuff.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#3116 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Is the Liquitex thin enough to air brush without thinning?
I've got some of their paints, but they are thick and take a day to dry.
-
I've got a few bottles of Spectra-Tex, not too many opaque colors available from them at my DickBlick store, but the ones I have seem fine.

I took pictures of the bottles. They say on them that they are all for airbrushing. Roughly the same price as what you recommended, but they are locally available.

IMG_0809_(resized).JPGIMG_0809_(resized).JPG

#3125 7 years ago

Vid, from a theoretical standpoint on pricing: say I sent you my Firepower play field, which has minimal wear, and all I wanted was new inserts with decals, leveled, and the play field cleared to seal in all of the original graphics, how much would something like that go for?

#3128 7 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

One of the highest rated brands of detail products on the market. I detail cars professionally and use their entire line of products. I use it on all of my machine's

Thank you! I'm going to pick some up tonight.

#3135 7 years ago

I'm getting a pretty good condition spare Fireower play field to restore, so I can take my time. Since it's a spare, most items are off it already and I'll be taking off whatever is left. I will photograph my current one to use as a template. As far as screw holes, your drill bit method looks awesome...is it also possible to get a thin, round metal file in there to achieve the same effect? The two pics I have of the field I'm getting are here:

#3137 7 years ago

Point well taken, may need multiple bit sizes I suppose. I must say, I am encouraged by all of your work here, thank you!

#3138 7 years ago

So Vid, I've been reading your guide, and I think I have the order of what I need to do things in for my Firepower. Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Strip play field of everything and clean over with naphtha.
2. Use magic eraser and 91% isopropyl to remove the 1980s Williams clear coat.
3. Fill in divits and other areas with bonds and sand.
4. Remove/repair inserts. Lower proud inserts, and use 2PAC to fill the bowed ones. Sand to the level of the table.
5. Lightly sand the play field to give tooth to upcoming layers.
6. Rub all over with tack cloth.
7. Spray light coating of 2PAC
8. Make the updates with Createx colors, install waterslide decals. Check all look good with Naphtha.
9. Install star roll over protectors for overspray.
10. Coat with 2 or 3 coats of 2PAC, sanding in between
11. Enjoy your work.

#3147 7 years ago

You beat me to posting the pic. Been thinking of it for a few days.

#3165 7 years ago

Vid, what about all the "nastiness" that sometimes creeps in between the inserts and the play field? Theres usually white gunk which I assume is glue + old wax of some sort, but it leaves an unsightly white ring. Most of the Firepower decals will have a black outline which would hide this, but is there anything else to be done about that crud?

1 month later
#3307 7 years ago

Vid, just a general question regarding lacquers: I saw what you said regarding lacquers being "too hot" for other paints. What about Model Master gloss clear lacquer that I use for my models? I have sprayed it over enamel, acrylic, lacquer, and decals with thus far no issue ever. Perhaps it is different than those Minwax types in being specially made to play well with everything? Would there be downside to using this type of thing at all, especially for a first, sealing coat between the original paint and spraying Createx touch up? I ask because, like many others, I am limited in what I can do for shooting clear...meaning the rattle can "will harden in the can in 48 hours" stuff. This is because I have only one pin, and will only need to do this once. I don't want to start the clock on the can for an initial coat, rush to spray the Createx, etc...because we all know what a rush job will achieve. I'd rather save the 2PAC for the final coats once the Createx and decals are in place. Would this be feasible/advisable?

#3309 7 years ago

Appreciate the prompt response...thanks!

6 months later
#3921 7 years ago

Vid, regarding the HP scanner, if we are unable to find one for a reasonable amount, and we, oh, might have an old flatbed lying around, do you think that it would be possible to use? Take the closing cover off, flip it over, and fire away?

#3929 7 years ago

Any of you guys used anything like this to scan graphics? Seems like it could be a cheaper alternative if used correctly, especially if it's on a bare play field that you can just scan straight on:

https://www.amazon.com/MSRM-Portable-Document-Scanner-Include/dp/B01BZYME1M/ref=pd_day0_229_4

#3934 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, when I tried it on a playfield, I clamped a Drywall T-square across and scanned with 20% overlap.
I let Photoshop do it's Photomerge to put the scans back together.
Although I was super careful, it was nowhere as good as the HP, because you could see where some lines were not straight.
Best scanner is still the Cruse:

Damn...that thing is insane.

#3938 7 years ago

I would assume that if I'm scanning to make a decal of a small 1"X1" area...none of these would be that bad.

#3940 7 years ago

That is pretty cool...I'd never have thought of that.

#3979 7 years ago

Did you happen to use setting solution for the decals? Did you coat with anything before? I plan on using a very thin coat of clear spray lacquer that I use for my models to seal the decals. I know for sure that stuff doesn't wreck decals, and it also stays clear.

2 weeks later
#4035 7 years ago

Hi Vid, after doing all the work on the electronics of the game, I am now turning to restoring my extra playfield that I purchased. It's in fairly good shape, inserts all are in pretty good condition, and there are minimal issues with the graphics. I took some photos in partial sunlight so that you can see what I am dealing with. I have removed almost all of the pieces on the play field. IMG_3572 (resized).JPGIMG_3572 (resized).JPG

Close up, you can see that most of the inserts are practically level, if even slightly proud, they are easily pushed back down. Slight cupping, very slight, which I think can be easily filled with your clear method. Otherwise, the pitted areas around the inserts, is it better to leave them as-is, and try to fill around them with bondo, or just remove them (as they need to be re-glued anyway) and fill the sides, paint, and reinstall them?
IMG_3574 (resized).JPGIMG_3574 (resized).JPGIMG_3576 (resized).JPGIMG_3576 (resized).JPGIMG_3573 (resized).JPGIMG_3573 (resized).JPGIMG_3575 (resized).JPGIMG_3575 (resized).JPG

As you can see, my young daughters also want to help!

There are a few areas that the paint has been scratched out, either by removing the metal cover from the ball return or something else. They don't look that bad. Lastly, the shooting lane doesn't look too bad. There's a few rough areas of grain, would these be best off filled?
IMG_3580 (resized).JPGIMG_3580 (resized).JPGIMG_3578 (resized).JPGIMG_3578 (resized).JPGIMG_3577 (resized).JPGIMG_3577 (resized).JPG

My final question: This thing looks like it has, as you have previously stated, the most pathetically thin coat of clear, if anything. 91% alcohol and the Magic Eraser, I'd assume?

Thanks for your help.

#4037 7 years ago

That's true, you are right. Longevity wasn't the plan.

3 weeks later
#4102 7 years ago

Vid, the mylar by my bumpers on the replacement play field I am working with looks like it was taken off long, long ago. There is still some adhesive residue on the play field. Do you think that will come off with the flour/alcohol method you prescribe, or being so dried out will it be especially tenacious?

1 week later
#4135 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Hard to say because you don't know what kind of adhesive was used.
Always start with the least invasive (flour alcohol) and move up to Naphtha, or whatever

I have to say, on the old adhesive, and the still-applied pop bumper mylar I just removed...the flour and alcohol method made it almost too easy! I practically wiped the stuff off to a smooth finish underneath! That is an awesome method, for sure.

Here is another question: all those little stars on my Firepower's black space areas are somewhat yellow...what a bitch to try and frisket/spray all those! No one is doing that i assume...is there an alternative way?

1 week later
#4160 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes, I clear the whole playfield before I even start painting to lock in loose fibers and see if it fills in planking.
That can save a lot of work when it turns out you don't have to paint a section.
Try to use the same clear over the inserts that will end up being the topcoat. That way the tensions are the same over and under the insert decals.

Vid, do you do this right after taking the old top coat off? Is it ok to do that prior to leveling/replacing inserts and all of that? I'd just love to get some clear on the paint so that way I can lock the old paint in in case I make a mistake with the Createx when I start with that.

#4162 7 years ago

Ok I was thinking maybe even a mist coat, but that makes sense.

#4163 7 years ago

When you guys come across inserts that are otherwise ok beside ruts and streaks in them from ball motion, do you just remove them (or leave in) and sand/polish the surface?

#4167 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

NEVER take inserts out unless they are broken AND you have it's replacement IN HAND.
Sand the surface to rough it up for the clearcoat.
Don't worry about ruts and streaks in the plastic itself, they just fill in with clear.

I follow you with not taking them out unless broken...only two I need to replace are faded badly. My question is for the ones that are in there and have the old clear over them. Despite what you have said about the clear on the 1980s Williams games...this Firepower field has some tenacious clear over at least the inserts. I have been using 91% alcohol and ME. My question is: how long does it take you to get this stuff off on your average play field of this era? I've been working at it for several hours, and I'm still not sure how to tell if I have it all off.

On the inserts themselves, the ruts on them are just part of the old clear. On one, I managed to get to get the clear off after much ME and scrubbing...but also removing a good portion of the surrounding paint, as you can see in the picture. The 50,000 insert was scrubbed clean, sanded with 500 grit, and then clear was dropped in it. The 30,000 has not been touched for comparison. Is it supposed to take that long sanding off these things? Anyone have a faster method? This will take weeks at this rate! Are you supposed to just re-paint the surrounding area on all of them?

I threw in two pics of the 3000 w/Lit insert which I am working on now (before and after), you can see the small crescent of the clear still on it...as well as the expanding paint loss!

IMG_1666 (resized).JPGIMG_1666 (resized).JPGIMG_1667 (resized).JPGIMG_1667 (resized).JPGIMG_1668 (resized).JPGIMG_1668 (resized).JPG

#4169 7 years ago

The cear that is on the inserts makes such a haze that even putting clear over it doesn't magically make theninsert appear clear from below. To make the insert look clear, all the old clearcoat has to come off (at least on my game). The rest of the play field is being stripped of clear coat and sanded.

#4172 7 years ago

Quite interesting, Vid. You make an excellent point. I had not quite considered that. I'm going to rethink this...

#4173 7 years ago

Alright, so after considering everything, and having come this far, I am basically all in: got my Createx and Frisket, just ordering some 2PAC now. I want to make this thing nice. The only thing that I do not have the resources for is spraying the 2PAC...kids, lack of space, weather, etc...it's just not happening. So my hybrid solution is this: I'll foam brush it on as I would polyurethane (unless you guys think it will eat the foam) and get it as smooth as possible for the first coat, and then the overcoat for the decals, sanding in between. Then, for the final coat and buffing, I'll bring the board to the local auto body guy and have him do that part.

#4175 7 years ago

Good call on the test. No reason I can't see how it goes on some spare wood.

#4177 7 years ago

Not aerosolizing the particles. The off gassing of fumes under a vent is different that spraying the actual stuff all over the place. I do see what you are saying, however. It would awful as the final coat. I certainly wouldn't do that.

#4180 7 years ago

I didn't read through all of it, but, good lord, that is one heck of an experience! I am sorry that it was just that tough to do!

#4184 7 years ago

Agreed with the mist, I learned that the hard way with model decals that were cheap back when. I think I may have found a solution, however.

One additional question: I saw that, prudently, you said to wear the respirator when filling inserts, etc, with 2PAC. I'm assuming the bunny suit and all that is not required, just enough time for the 2PAC stench to dissipate.

#4203 7 years ago

I know this has probably been beaten to death over the years, but the old links just don't work anymore: anyone know a good source of the plastic primer online somewhere? I can't be sure if what I am finding is the right stuff.

One more question, Vid: you said you do your insert repair prior to laying down clear, which is what I am attempting to do. How is it that you can fill the inserts with 2PAC, and then sand them down without sanding down the paint on the play field? I am sure you can be very, very careful...but is there any other way at all? I already have removed the old top coat with ME & EtOH.

#4209 7 years ago

Just what I thought...thank you for the confirmation.

2 weeks later
#4235 7 years ago

Anyone tried to bleach white, opaque inserts? I have one or two that are much more yelllow than the others. I know some people in the computer resto world have bleached gray plastic cases back to gray from having a yellowish tinge.

#4259 7 years ago

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, they sell Createx in-store.

#4292 6 years ago

Vid, I re-glued a few inserts after removal and sanding, and some sunk in about 1/2 a millimeter or so, very slightly, but you can see a bit of a wood ring around...can I somehow paint that a bit, and drip in clear? Or, should I put the clear on, and then just use the new decals to cover over that?

#4308 6 years ago

I know I was hanging in suspense as I scrolled down...

#4317 6 years ago

For inserts with chips and small gouges on them, will the process of leveling with 2PAC fill those in so they are unnoticeable? Or should they be sanded down to remove that and flatten it out before using the clear?

1 month later
#4496 6 years ago

Vid, when you talk about wiping in the paint on, say, a black background, would you do that prior to a lockdown coat? Or would you do it after?

1 week later
#4532 6 years ago

Ok, so I think that I might have screwed this one up. On my FP, I re-glued the extra ball insert after some pretty serious sanding. Unfortunately, I got interrupted by my nephew after gluing, and the thing sunk quite a bit after the epoxy dried. Here are some pictures of the results:

IMG_3791 (resized).JPGIMG_3791 (resized).JPGIMG_3793 (resized).JPGIMG_3793 (resized).JPGIMG_3792 (resized).JPGIMG_3792 (resized).JPG

Now, of course, it is glued in place. Is this too deep to paint the sides, fill with 2PAC, and later on place the key line decal and hope for the best? Or, can I do that and have it look decent? Do I need to chisel this thing and it's epoxy out and order a new insert?

#4540 6 years ago

I just wanted to comment on the main topic of this thread: good vs. bad restorations. I was at Pintastic today, and I saw examples of both. One machine that I saw had one of those really awful repairs that Vid talks about: there was a crater worn in the center of the play field, and the "repair" consisted of someone using crude paint to fill in the artwork over the crater...without fixing the depression itself!

On the flip side, there was a beautifully restored Strikes and Spares. I was really impressed with the play field and shooter lane. Check out the pictures below:

IMG_3803 (resized).JPGIMG_3803 (resized).JPGIMG_3804 (resized).JPGIMG_3804 (resized).JPGIMG_3807 (resized).JPGIMG_3807 (resized).JPGIMG_3806 (resized).JPGIMG_3806 (resized).JPGIMG_3805 (resized).JPGIMG_3805 (resized).JPG

It also played really well. I'd have bought it if I had the money. Very well done. This was the first time I was at this type of show, and I could see Vid's words played out in front of me regarding good and bad repairs.

#4552 6 years ago

An order of operations question here: Once I do a lock-down coat of clear, do you sand that and lay down the createx, or the createx will lay down right over it? After the createx is down, do you sand it and the rest of the play field before putting down the next clear layer? After that, do you recommend putting a thin layer of clear over all paint before putting on decals? I'd figure doing that would make sense since decals do best offer a gloss surface.

#4566 6 years ago

I'd have to guess that those are probably mold spots. That's what they look like to me.

#4575 6 years ago

Last clear question, I hope!

After laying down the decals, I know you suggested a mist coat before the final coat or two. Once the decals are down, can you spray right over the last layer and the decals without prep? It would seem that you would want tooth for those last layers, but how could one sand if decals were just applied? Would t make sense to me.

#4576 6 years ago
Quoted from No_Skill:

I just wanted to say thanks for all the great advice in this thread. I've wanted to try my hand at a restoration for a while and I just finished up my first project (Old Chicago). I'm really happy with the results and I've learned a lot through the process. Of course, I can see every little flaw I made, but I think it turned out pretty good for my first effort.

Microscopic flaws only you can see or not... it's a hell of an improvement over where you started!

#4578 6 years ago

Can't wait to see it back in the machine. My Firepower project feels like it will take forever.

#4584 6 years ago

Vid, the number paint on my inserts isn't that bad, but I am planning on decaling over it anyway. If I sand the inserts for painting, will this ruin the graphics underneath if too zealous? Or do you suggest just sanding clean all inserts and re-decaling everything?

1 week later
#4602 6 years ago

Vid, would you recommend laying decals over inserts that already still have their paint on them? For instance, if an insert has a perfectly legible "F" over it, and looks ok, is there any point to putting a decal over it, or is that overkill? Would it make sense to if the letter is ok, but, as on most decals, the key lining is crappy and could use a new ring of black over it?

#4604 6 years ago

How about gouges like this on top of inserts? Should I just sand and fill with clear? Or should I take off all of the top, including paint, and get it back flat?

IMG_3840 (resized).JPGIMG_3840 (resized).JPG

IMG_3841 (resized).JPGIMG_3841 (resized).JPG

#4608 6 years ago

Yes! I promise I wasn't going to sand flat! Thanks for all the guidance.

#4616 6 years ago

Hey everyone, I wanted to recommend a heat gun that I have had a lot of good success with: The Wagner Furno 700.

https://www.amazon.com/Wagner-0503070-Furno-Heat-Tool/dp/B01M7OT2EM/ref=sr_1_2

It is very forgiving for any user, as the temperature is set directly by degree in a wide range, not just "Low-Medium-High" settings that you can easily use to char your project. Comes with 4 or so adaptors to direct the hot air where you want it. Very versatile, and well made, too.

#4635 6 years ago

Any suggestions as to how I can clean out all of the crud inside the teeth of my star inserts? I've been trying to floss things in and out of there, but it's not going very well.

#4644 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Get a set of fine conical brushes for cleaning airguns at Harborfrieght $1.99
https://www.harborfreight.com/5-pc-airbrush-cleaning-brushes-68155.html

Working beautifully...thank you!

1 week later
#4703 6 years ago

Looking back, I saw a post regarding when you are all finished, waiting a full month before sanding and shooting the final layer of clear. Is that right?

1 week later
#4724 6 years ago

I'm going to be doing 2K Spraymax on my Firepower restoration soon...I'll let you know how it goes!

1 week later
#4759 6 years ago

Vid, I just managed to fill in my inserts with 2PAC. Some got overfilled in the process...I hope that isn't a big issue, but on the large "hot dog" inserts, it was necessary to fill in the gaps between the play field and the inserts.

IMG_3855 (resized).JPGIMG_3855 (resized).JPGIMG_3859 (resized).JPGIMG_3859 (resized).JPG

Second, I was wondering something else while doing the filling. In theory, once the whole thing is sanded flat and wiped with Naptha, couldn't one just fill up the entire play field with eyedropper 2PAC? Or would this cause far too thick of a layer for what we are shooting for?

#4763 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

How do you get that perfectly flat without touching the paint around it?

Good question...ill be finding that out soon enough...

#4764 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It would waste a ton of 2PAC and take a ton of time.
One guy sent me pics of where he clearcoated with 2PAC applied with a brush! He finally got it sanded flat, but he wasted a quart of clear, and a week's time.

Yeah, sounds like a huge PITA. Always thinking of "what ifs." Now that the stuff has partly cured, I noticed some pin-hole size bubbles in a few of them that weren't there before. I assume I can just sand that out. All n all, mixing the stuff and using the eyedropper wasn't bad. You weren't kidding with needing the glass jars and droppers, though. The stuff is reactive!

#4766 6 years ago

As for sanding it down after, whats the best way to sand it flat, but not start sanding down the paint around it?

#4770 6 years ago

I see what you are saying. So, I can actually just degloss the entire playfield, insert areas and all, and spray the clear. Then, once the whole thing has hardened, sand down the lumps flat with somewhat impunity because all the paint is now covered with clear...makes sense.

One last thing: I noticed yesterday that the playfield had a slight bowing in the center. Is there any good way to make the entire thing flat, or will it just naturally do that once it is back in a cabinet?

#4772 6 years ago

Have an illustration of that? Such as where to clamp?

#4775 6 years ago

Yeah, it isn't horrendous. I think it can be put back. I took a picture of it with my level over it. You can see the slight gap:

image1 (resized).JPGimage1 (resized).JPG

#4777 6 years ago

It would work out great...only he said "while you clear"...not sure how I can work the two for one!

#4780 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's not bad at all.
Put the wood rails on the back, clear, allow to dry.
Latter when you put the game back together, your rails go on the face of the game - like normal.

I see what you are saying: attach them on the flip side, upside-down, and they should straighten it out being screwed in/clamped.

#4786 6 years ago

So, I am starting to degloss the table. Some of the insert fill is so bulbous, that it is leaving a ring of still glossy paint around the fill that is hard to get at. Any tips for getting into that small area?

1 week later
#4820 6 years ago

Quick question, Vid. My 3x insert somewhat sagged from heat and developed lines in the plastic itself. I figured that would go away when I filled with 2PAC, but they seem to only have been accentuated. I tried getting into them while deglossing with the steel wool, but it looks like they are really far under there. What to do about this? Any way to stop this in the future?

0BAFFDD0-A9E8-4A71-8600-842354A9491D (resized).jpeg0BAFFDD0-A9E8-4A71-8600-842354A9491D (resized).jpeg

#4823 6 years ago

Thanks, I used the chisel method plus sanding. I got past the old clear, sanded off the ink, and now the insert appears clear without blemish. Just have to drip in clear and try again. Thank you!

#4826 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

La Porta what kind of clear are you using?

This is the stuff I have. Got it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00H9MF6Y2/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp

#4828 6 years ago

Firepower. The only resto I will ever do! Lots of work involved...fun, but I have little kids. Difficult to find time for using 2PAC and such!

#4838 6 years ago

Actually, what he recommended to me was to insert fill first, then spray your first coat. After having just filled them, it makes sense to me why.

#4848 6 years ago

So I finally got down to it, and got my "booth" set up, got dressed up in a ll the gear (minus the gloves in the pic), and sprayed the thing. The SprayMax 2K worked pretty good; it was hard to see how much I was spraying because it was kind of dark, and I wound up with some of that whiteness in places that comes from too heavy spray. I'm fairly certain it will go back to clear as it cures as other things do. Vid, I'll keep you updated, and thanks for all of your help!

IMG_1997 (resized).JPGIMG_1997 (resized).JPGIMG_1996 (resized).JPGIMG_1996 (resized).JPGIMG_1999 (resized).JPGIMG_1999 (resized).JPGIMG_2001 (resized).JPGIMG_2001 (resized).JPG

#4858 6 years ago

Vid, I am knocking down the mounds over my inserts after filling with clear and spraying my first lockdown coat. 500 grit is taking hours to take down the mounds sanding with the hand drywall sander. Can I use 220, or do you think that is a bit too aggressive?

#4862 6 years ago

Alex, you and I appear to be on parallel tracks...

#4869 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Carefully spot-sand the mounds with 500 until the are just a crunt-hair above the rest of the playfield, then give the whole playfield a deglossing with 1000.

Yeah, I learned this one the hard way by accidentally sanding off a tiny spot of the planet on the play field today. I was wondering how the heck to sand down those mounds with 220 on the big drywall sander. I guess Vid didn't mean to use that big thing over the huge mounds...

#4870 6 years ago
Quoted from alexmogil:

We're parallel except for the bad job I'm doing. Parallel only in the sense that my railroad track is quite crooked. But I did see you post the other day and wondered if I was sleep posting again! I am cribbing off your work, believe me.

Yours is coming out nicely as well. I see you have all new jeweled inserts, that was pretty ambitious. I screwed up a little tonight myself, a product of being a bit too ambitious I suppose, but nothing that can't be fixed I feel. Do you have your own dedicated thread for this?

#4880 6 years ago

Vid, things have been coming along pretty well with my Firepower. Got the first coat of clear down, and sanded the filled inserts almost flat. A few things I did kind of bass ackwards: used the flat sander to take down the inserts and inadvertently reduced the clear around them to nothing, exposing the surface again. I assume that isn't too big of an issue since I will be clearing over it again...but the inserts (some of them) are still ever so SLIGHTLY higher than the surface. Better to try and cut them down a bit now by hand, or just do the extra clear layer and then sand them down?

Also, after the next coat of clear, I'll be doing the decals. Reading through your guide a few times now, it would appear that I should leave the surface clear, lay down the decals, then sand everything around the decals for the next layer to stick to. If I remember, you said to NOT sand under where the decals will be because of decals adhering better to a glossy surface.

As an aside, I just started mixing and using my Createx to repair the play field...you are so right, this stuff is so easy to mix, match, and put down. It's a blessing!

#4885 6 years ago

Thanks for the clear sanding tips. My next question is that I am still trying to understand what is the best way to go about doing the decals. Let’s assume for argument sake I just laid down a layer of fresh clear after doing my paint touch ups. From what I understand, I should then lay down all the decals, and once they are set, sand the entire table flat again EXCEPT right over the decals. Then, I should spray a mist coat of clear, wait about 15 minutes, then spray a full coat after. Is this correct?

#4888 6 years ago

Is my shooter lane bad off, or does it look reasonably acceptable?

2F0762C5-58F7-4263-932B-9FFEA64114C0 (resized).jpeg2F0762C5-58F7-4263-932B-9FFEA64114C0 (resized).jpeg

#4890 6 years ago

Thanks, plan to soon. Appreciate all of your help.

#4895 6 years ago

The time between laying down a coat and needing to sand before another varied between products, I know, and varies with temperature, etc...but any relative time for the SprayMax 2K? Roughly 12 hr? Temperature around here is anywhere between 50-70 degrees F this year...unusually warm.

http://usa.spraymax.com/fileadmin/download/spraymax/spraymax_tmb/TMB033_US.pdf

#4909 6 years ago

I think my shooter lane came out pretty good after blending in the putty:

IMG_2083 (resized).JPGIMG_2083 (resized).JPG

#4911 6 years ago

No issue for you then. I left my GI sockets in place, so I put the bulbs in, as per the guide, to keep the clear from fouling the electrical contacts inside. If you have no sockets, you need no bulbs.

#4913 6 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

I'm trying to avoid mistakes .

I can’t tell you how many questions and repeat questions I’ve asked in this thread. Don’t want to make more mistakes than I already have.

#4952 6 years ago

Vid's thread has now become centenarian.

#4959 6 years ago

Vid, I just laid down my third coat of clear after flattening the play field. Decals are next. My question is how long is long enough for the clear to cure before doing the decals? If I want to spray ASAP so I do t have to sand, obviously there is a window between when I can do the decals, and when is too late to spray the clear without sanding. The SprayMax I’m using says it has a flash time of 12 hours at 60 deg F, close to what it is here now, if that helps.

Alternatively, this paragraph from your guide is intriguing:

“Since you need to clear coat over the decals, sand the whole playfield down to 1000 grit so the next layer of clear has some "tooth" to adhere to. Since you can't sand the decals, you need to do this BEFORE you install them.”

Does that mean I can place decals over a 1000 grit sanded, napthaed, and then tack clothed playfield? Or am I reading that wrong?

#4960 6 years ago

Here is another, more urgent question: apparently, a few bubbles I thought I got rid of created pin-sized holes in my new clear coat. I payed it down about 3 hours ago: can I use a toothpick or something with 2PAC to fill them in and have it melt right in?

49CE23E3-3690-488F-8246-B0B3E84FECDD (resized).jpeg49CE23E3-3690-488F-8246-B0B3E84FECDD (resized).jpeg

#4966 6 years ago

Ok, need what I hope is a quick answer here: I just laid down my decals over my last clear layer. That was 3 PM (for the clear). I'm getting up at 7, less than 24 hours after the last clear. I plan to just shoot right over it, so I don't have to sand around the decals. Question is: I should NOT use naphtha this time, just a tack cloth, right? The naphtha I figure would destroy the decals. Also, the little water spots on the play field from putting the decals on: leave them, or attempt to wipe up with a wet towel?

#4979 6 years ago

First, I would like to thank Vid and all others that have helped me thus far on my play field restoration. I am virtually done as of now, and I couldn't have made it this far without all of you.

Decals are placed, last coat of clear is on. The only issues I have are very, very tiny specs that I think are microscopic bubbles that have lifted up on two or three of the decals. You can see them in the last two pictures (one is the "SHIELD ON" indicator; the other is the right outline "S"). Do you think I can leave them as-is, and they will be ground down by ball motion, or should I fix them? If fix, can I use miniature sanding pads/novus to just spot fix them, or do I need to do the whole play field flattening/buffing routine? If the latter, I'd probably farm it out to a body shop!

Lastly, is the last coat too thick in everyone's opinion, or is it just right?

I am very pleased with the results. Again, Vid, I could not have done all of this work without your guide and your expertise. Thank you again!

IMG_2111 (resized).JPGIMG_2111 (resized).JPGIMG_2115 (resized).JPGIMG_2115 (resized).JPG

IMG_2121 (resized).JPGIMG_2121 (resized).JPG
IMG_2110 (resized).JPGIMG_2110 (resized).JPGIMG_2119 (resized).JPGIMG_2119 (resized).JPGIMG_2120 (resized).JPGIMG_2120 (resized).JPGIMG_2122 (resized).JPGIMG_2122 (resized).JPGIMG_2116 (resized).JPGIMG_2116 (resized).JPG

#4982 6 years ago

Thank you, and I want to! Even if they cause little upraised dimples on the surface it is ok?

#4987 6 years ago

Is it possible to do those grits straight by hand, then do the polish with novus 2 and 1? I know I’ve done that on my car before and it worked well.

#4989 6 years ago

I'll see...I do have a sander, im just deathly afraid of cutting all the way through. Kind of hard to do at 2000 grit though, I suppose.

#5000 6 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

agreed, that does not look like an easy restore to try on your first try. No matter what anyone thinks, there is a long learning curve to doing this.

It took me a lot of reading, breathing, sighing, re-doing, and praying to get the results I did.

#5004 6 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Porta, your playfield looks amazing! Did you have a thread with progress pics and steps or just what you posted along the way here?

My thread is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-portas-firepower-rejuvenation

As for the waterslides, I had pretty good fortune with them matching up on mine. For instance, my "2X" multiplier graphic was partially scraped off, and I was able to line up the new one over it and have it look great. I had somewhat less success with my "4" arrow, partly because the new font was just slightly more narrow than the old, but it still looks good in my opinion. I can get a closer pic of it when I get home tomorrow.

#5017 6 years ago

Vid, looked over your sanding and buffing tutorial. How long does 2PAC need to cure to do this? It’s been 4 days since the last coat.

#5020 6 years ago

Sniff test...I like it.

#5021 6 years ago

Probably a silly question: when you make up the liquid for wet sanding...where do you apply it? Directly to the PF? How much? I assume you don't flood the thing off the bat.

#5025 6 years ago

Well, I did the wet sanding, polishing, and waxing last night. I certainly brought down the high spots and made everything uniform. However, I never really seemed to get rid of all the sanding tracks for some reason. I didn’t skip any grits. Maybe I didn’t buff long enough? If it’s stuck like this, I’m fine with it: I think ittl look good when installed. From what ou said, Vid, eventual ball swirl is inevitable, right? Isn’t this basically what that will look like?4BEE5060-E1DF-46B6-8F41-DB56F350A812 (resized).jpeg4BEE5060-E1DF-46B6-8F41-DB56F350A812 (resized).jpeg9B8E7328-29EA-41CE-BFCD-A634BCABB6F2 (resized).jpeg9B8E7328-29EA-41CE-BFCD-A634BCABB6F2 (resized).jpegB4066DF7-DD9F-46CD-8E32-413AB901D538 (resized).jpegB4066DF7-DD9F-46CD-8E32-413AB901D538 (resized).jpeg5029E52B-16F9-4F9F-A6AD-C1053C869E12 (resized).jpeg5029E52B-16F9-4F9F-A6AD-C1053C869E12 (resized).jpeg5029E52B-16F9-4F9F-A6AD-C1053C869E12 (resized).jpeg5029E52B-16F9-4F9F-A6AD-C1053C869E12 (resized).jpeg

#5032 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

La Porta,
I think you need another Cabinet to go with that other PF.

Is that a compliment on the playfield, or an insult on the cabinet?

#5041 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Looks like the clear is not fully hard yet.
2pac should look like glass.

Oh well...I guess what is done is done. What can I say? At an angle it’s shiny, and it’s flat. I’m happy. Guess I can’t fix it.

#5052 6 years ago

Well, hot damn! I used a different product, hand buffed with terry cloth, and got back my shine!

AF1D74B2-387D-418B-8FE6-78697B31F58C (resized).jpegAF1D74B2-387D-418B-8FE6-78697B31F58C (resized).jpeg

#5054 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Harbor freight HVLP gun on sale until 10/31 $9.99

That’s a sweet deal. HF always has awesome stuff.

#5074 6 years ago

TO be honest, when the clear was down, I kept mixing and trying, mixing a little more and trying again, etc...add a little red, add a little blue...all until I had it right. It took an hour or more sometimes for me to get the color right. All done with Createx.

#5083 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Thanks, I don't need to touch up the inserts. I figured this would be the game plan (no pun intended). So spray the lockdown layer, live with the raised areas, paint new art, then another layer and level?
BTW, I'm really loving how the inserts are looking under the 2pac. SHINEY, SMOOOOOOTH and the flat black Createx key lines came out wonderful.
but Dayum this is a time consuming project. I'm doing my best to not rush the process, it's a tall order though. patience patience, patience........

Vid is right about that. I was worried, too, but I overfilled, dripped some, etc....Once you spray 2PAC over it, you flatten it all out sanding and you can't tell any different. You will be just fine.

#5099 6 years ago

2K SprayMax is another alternative for those doing it on their own.

#5122 6 years ago

Two questions for anyone:

1. Anyone know a good source of the rubber barrel nuts for holding on the plastics?

2. What is the best way to get the rivets out of the metal lane guides that hold them into the side wood?

#5125 6 years ago

lets assume I don't have fancy aircraft-grade stuff....mini pry-bar might work?

#5129 6 years ago

Although it looks like a huge pain, that blue area might be better off being masked and sprayed a whole color.

#5135 6 years ago

Thanks. I should just assume that there is a "Vid's guide to X" for almost every topic out there!

#5136 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

pinball life sells them. you can get them in all kinds of colors too.

Having a tough time. I can find the original style nylon acorn nuts, but not the rubber barrel slip on/off type. Do you have a link>

#5149 6 years ago

For some reason, I'm unable to find the posts about clear lifting off inserts, and using the "GIANT HORSE SYRINGE" to re-adhere it. Can anyone point me to Vid's post on that?

EDIT: I got it.

#5157 6 years ago

Hey, that looks real good!!

#5159 6 years ago

Hey it's one of those things where if you at least paint ALL of the areas the slightly off color, no one will notice. As Vid has said, every game has faded to a different degree, and none of them will look exactly the same. That's one reason I never went crazy trying to make all of the white areas on my Firepower look like new (except the GI areas).

#5168 6 years ago

just repainted all the “wood” area so it all matched. Here’s a pic:

DD1A4608-77E7-4F7B-9E9A-72149C2743BC (resized).jpegDD1A4608-77E7-4F7B-9E9A-72149C2743BC (resized).jpeg

#5174 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, just clear wood.
Take an Xacto, scrape the dirt out of the cracks.
Test with a wipe of Naphtha to make sure the cracks look clean while wet.
Don't fill (or else slow balls will get stuck), just clear over the clean cracks.

So you’re saying on my firepower restate, the balls are
Going to get stuck?

#5177 6 years ago
Quoted from psd4me:

Yes if they are going slow they will get caught on the lower edge of the slot. I take a small round file if necessary and knock that edge down when redoing pf's.Those on your pf were done at the factory. Mike

Nice to know after the fact...

Not sure I want to file into the brand-new clear coat and paint. Perhaps I will see how it goes...

#5179 6 years ago

Vid, can you shine in on my options for the roll-over lanes? Will this be a huge problem? What are my options realistically on a just refinished play field?

#5182 6 years ago
Quoted from packie1:

Looks very nice. Can't wait to see the clear. Don't forget after your clear is applied, you need to let it sit to harden. I know Vid recommends waiting until you can't smell clear anymore. I agree as well. The temptation to jump back into it is great but you must resist young Padawan.
Mike

I agree. Also, make sure that it's warm where you are. The stuff cures by endothermic reactions (takes heat in).

#5187 6 years ago

I️ purchased new wood for my rails, since the stuff on mine was cheap with veneer over it.

#5198 6 years ago

Left my new rails as unpainted wood, they look incredibly similar to the originals:

85F555A4-A192-4973-99AD-E20ABD9F9C4E (resized).jpeg85F555A4-A192-4973-99AD-E20ABD9F9C4E (resized).jpeg

#5200 6 years ago

I️ didn’t. I️ was thinking about it, but I️ figured that either way it wouldn’t stop the balls from over time wearing slight ruts in them. Where the machine is stored it’s moisture controlled so I’m not too worried there, either. I’ll show how I️ lined up the holes in my thread. Re-creating the holes was the hardest part.

#5203 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I'm sure of that. Did you glue down the new rails? Looking at my old rails, there was obviously glue on the bottom side, even though they came off very easily.

Interesting. No glue residue on mine...only screws. Perhaps someone took precautions on yours?

#5210 6 years ago

Vid, would you be able to link me to your pop bumper and flipper rebuild topics? I can’t seem to locate them.

#5225 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Thanks, that was my game plan, I was looking for confirmation. I'm thinking that since I'll have limited time to go to the body shop, pick up some premixed 2pac, drive home and fill the low spots before it bricks, that I'll block sand the PF as it is to show the low spots, then go get the 2pac and fill.
The shop recommended wet sanding. Oh, and now I'm helping the guy at the shop buy his 1st pinball machine!
The force has been with me so far.

I definitely had some areas more raised than others. Vid isn't fooling when he says that sanding cures everything: no matter how many bumps, ruts, etc there are...another layer of clear over a properly roughed surface makes anything else imperceptible.

#5232 6 years ago

My PF was already just slightly sagging, probably due to years of leaning against some wall somewhere. That is why I went with the real hardwood rails on the side: when I clamped them to the sides, I could see the side of the play field actually get drawn up into the rail. Using something stronger than the play field wood itself is very helpful.

IMG_2219 (resized).JPGIMG_2219 (resized).JPG

#5235 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I knew this was going too well.....
While sanding the final layers of clear, I sanded through the clear and into the paint in a few small spots. Luckily most of the spots will be under plastics or rails, but there are a couple places (maybe 1/4" round areas) that will be on the playing area. I've touched up the paint, would you recommend airbrushing clear over those spots, dripping clear on them, or laying down 1 or 2 more wet coats on the entire pf?
TIA

It happened to me as well. Just touch up the paint below as necessary, and when you do the next full coat of clear it will be fine.

#5237 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

I'm going to have to have the auto body shop do that.

I was curious...why is it you aren't going the 2PAC route on your own again? I didn't do the whole compressor/HVLP gun route myself because it was too much. I used the SprayMax 2K paint which was much more doable. It took me probably two months to convince myself that I could do it and actually go for it...but it worked in the end.

#5242 6 years ago

Well, I realized that I made an error: I noticed that the 50,000 insert was dimpling in a tad after clearing (this is a month after spraying) and I was trying to figure out why. On inspection, it suddenly became clear: I FORGOT TO EPOXY THOSE THREE MULTIPLIER INSERTS! Thank God that nothing too serious happened, and that they haven’t pulled away. I am going to glue them immediately. Just serves as an example to others: double check all inserts prior to shooting clear!

DD19E212-F013-4AD8-8348-4F59BD8CE5E6 (resized).jpegDD19E212-F013-4AD8-8348-4F59BD8CE5E6 (resized).jpeg

#5245 6 years ago

Vid, do you have a guide to apron restoration?

#5255 6 years ago

Well, I've had a little bit of an issue with my clear drying. I used a pretty significant amount to fill in over one insert that was in pretty low from the lever of the play field. After my last coat of clear, sanding, etc, everything was nice and smooth. Now, 1 1/2 months later, it seems to have sunk in about 1 mm or less. You can feel it with your finger, see it in the light if you look the right way, but it does not affect the trajectory of the ball (thankfully). The decal is intact, there is no separation of the clear, I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't run my finger over it. Could this be due to a prolonged drying time for the clear even past when it was hard, causing "shrinkage" of the clear underneath?

635902767525306405-1268433585_shrinkage-poster1 (resized).jpg635902767525306405-1268433585_shrinkage-poster1 (resized).jpg

#5259 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Auto painters call that dieback or shrinkback.
They will clear over a small scratch, and then months latter, the clear shrinks unevenly, telegraphing the scratch slightly into the surface.
We are using A LOT more clear on a playfield than an auto guy uses, so we get more dramatic dieback.
If you have the time, allowing the clear to shrink a few months, and THEN sanding the final coat flat, usually avoids dieback altogether.
(it's another great reason to fill all your cupped inserts at the very beginning of your restoration - it gives them more time to shrink.....)

Wish I'd thought go that before...however it won't affect play, so it's ok for me. The decal also stayed well. Thanks for the tip.

#5267 6 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Spraymax high gloss, 2 pack 33.00 and free shipping on amazon. Got mine yesterday, it's the real deal. CTI Industrial is the seller if you don't want to go thru Amazon, still free shipping according to the advertisement came with the spray.
amazon.com link »

This is what I used. Good stuff...easy to use, spray lays down smooth. Used with another brand of 2PAC I used to fill inserts, no reactions. If you buy a 4 or 6 pack, it’s more expensive obviously, but saves with bulk prices.

1 week later
#5287 6 years ago

What you are doing is what I did: I made a sample, dried it, tinted, dried again...took at least an hour per color. Trial and error.

#5292 6 years ago

Question: my apron leaves scratches on the play field when removing it...and it appears that it happened in the same place on both that I had (on both sides, more the right) where the little hooks catch onto the metal plates that are screwed to the play field. How do I get rid of this problem? sand the heck of the little tabs under the apron? Adjust them somehow?

#5295 6 years ago

Excellent. I have some left over. Thanks for the idea...thats great!

#5315 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The wood of the playfield rails is no longer sealed.
Dust and filth are in the wood itself.
I'd remove those rails, sand them down to clean wood, and seal with poly or lacquer
Lacquer is a good choice because you can tone the wood so it does not look too fresh.

Is it good practice to seal them in general? Of course, I didn't seal mine that I just installed...

#5322 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sealing wood is good.
Keeps coil dust from invading the grain and it looking trashy, and makes the wood more stable.

Guess I’ll hit the blue tape and polycryllic!

#5325 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Take the rails off and do all six sides.

That would be the best plan, of course. One issue: one screw head sheared off underneath the play field...how the heck am I supposed to get that thing out??

#5330 6 years ago

Wow, that's unbelievably cool! I assume then fill with wood putty and re-drill a new hole. How does one re-create the recessed space for the heads to sit flush on the underside?

1 week later
#5360 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi all,
As per Vid's recommendations for polishing an em pf, I just buffed and polished my Mini Pool.
Afterwards, all I could do was stand and stare at it. I think I mumbled some exclamations which shall not be repeated here! I can even almost overlook the mistakes that I made during the process so far, although one of them is really bugging me. It does look great though. Thank you for all of the help and encouragement.
I do have a few questions, the first has been answered in the topic, but I've seen conflicting thoughts. When do you suggest waxing? Obviously I want to wax before populating the pf. I've seen some people that say wax after polishing, and others that say wait a few weeks for outgassing. The shop that shot the clear says tells their customers that it's safe to wax almost right away as they use an oven to cure the 2pac.
Another question is, and I'm sure this has been answered to, and I'm sure that I bookmarked the page, but my computer crashed and I lost a bunch of info, how to reinstall metal ball guides.
Yet one more question......Vid, when do you have time for anything else? You have so many topics on Pinside, and are responsive to all of them. I'm sure I speak for the community when I say thank you.
-W

Hey man, that really came out nice! I am glad that you are happy with the result! I, too, can always find SOMETHING else that I should have done...but at some point, you need to be ok with it as it is.

1 week later
#5397 6 years ago

While this is somewhat outside of play fields, how does one go about restoring brushed metal parts, such as coin doors? To my knowledge, sanding and buffing will just produce a mirror: the brush strokes will disappear. Is there a way to maintain or recreate them?

#5405 6 years ago

DT, I have to say that it really came out nice. Best of luck on the electrical issue. Any chance you might bring it to Pintastic in MA this summer?

#5429 6 years ago

If you are using a Mac, Pixelmator is the way to go.

3 weeks later
#5468 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

OK, so...I went on eBay and bought myself one of those nifty HP Scanjet frame scanners - still in the box! Awesome!
Buuuuut.....the software is so old at this point, no Mac can run it. (It's Power PC, and OSX hasn't run that type of software in several generations.)
Would be GREAT if somebody had some sort of plugin/workaround...until I can find a solution, I've got myself a useless piece of landfill fodder. Argh, hate this kind of thing.

I'll bet you that you can just use Preview to scan. I have a scanner that is over a decade old, and it is just instantly recognized in the "Import..." option in the File menu when the scanner is connected and has power to it. Give it a try; you will likely not need the proprietary software are all.

#5474 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Vuesan doesn't work. I think the problem is that the scanner is TWAIN, and mac's don't support TWAIN anymore. Perhaps use an old mac maybe, something with Snow Leopard or earlier (I'm guessing at the OS that will work).
I use Parallels with the HP software. It's a pita, but it works.

I'd go this route...or Boot Camp if you can find a free/cheap Windows copy. What kind of Mac are you using?

#5487 6 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Vid,
I see a while ago you posted a link for the HP4670 Windows 10 driver. That link is no good now and HP isn't making the driver available anymore. Do you happen to have the driver file?

Might want to fire this off into Vid's restoration thread.

1 week later
#5509 6 years ago

Vid,

I’m wanting to spruce up my stainless steel a bit. Is it ok to buff with blue compound and not run a huge risk of taking off the brush strokes in the metal?

#5512 6 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Q: Would I be nuts to use a rattle can automotive clear to do my clearcoat on my main playfield to seal and cover all my decals?

Other than filling inserts, my entire play field project used nothing else other than SprayMax 2k clear from the can. Worked perfectly.

1 month later
#5615 6 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Though not a big deal, if you fill them it turns out nicer and you won't have to scuff inside all those divits for each successive coat of clear.

Indeed, scuffing then up was kind of a pain.

3 weeks later
#5674 6 years ago

Vid, on my FP that I just restored, I get a few airballs now and again that hit the glass. I know that due to some game design, this can be common (i.e. multi ball balls colliding). However, sometimes I get them when the balls come down quickly through the middle and hit the anti-cheating bars under the flipper bats. I tapped them down as far as I could during the play field repopulation, and I am not really wanting to put them in any further for fear of cracking the clear. I'll include pictures of them...they seem pretty far down, is this something that just happens occasionally or do these things need adjustment somehow?

IMG_2469 (resized).JPGIMG_2469 (resized).JPG

IMG_2470 (resized).JPGIMG_2470 (resized).JPG

#5677 6 years ago

That’s vids exact method documented in this thread...it does indeed work great.

#5707 5 years ago

I'd assume letting it fully cure as is, then sanding it down until wrinkles are gone.

#5730 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

One last comment/thought before I take this freak show back to my restoration thread - it's a sunny 65 here today. Simply moving the playfield outside into direct sun has kicked up the surface temperature of the playfield to 106F and rising in just 15 minutes. NOW I can really smell the solvents.

Nice job! I had sprayed mine inside my shed, which gets pretty hot even with the windows open in the sun. I think that's the only reason why I didn't have a similar outcome as you did.

#5749 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

vid1900 curious about your thoughts on technique in regards to airbrushing. If you take a look at a situation like this:

Just to add in my two cents, see my post in my resto thread below to see what I did:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-portas-firepower-rejuvenation/page/4#post-4190584

I really scraped back around those areas to make sure there was no remaining flakes or rust underneath.

#5751 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Any reason not to use frisket vs. masking tape? If I can't blend in a color, I'll probably have to re-do the graphics/lettering, which shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't think my posts were very clear when I put them up: when doing the black areas, I did mask the entire thing with frisket and cut around the areas to be sprayed.

3 weeks later
#5804 5 years ago
Quoted from Strummy:

Any thoughts on this product? The can is only good for one use. The hardener gets injected into the can when ready to use.
USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat Aerosol amazon.com link »

I can vouch for it: that’s what I used in my Firepower restore. Worked beautifully just as advertised. I’d recommend buying a six-pack, that’s about how many cans you will need.

#5811 5 years ago
Quoted from Langless28:

Did you ever go over if it was a good idea to do a light foam brushing of clear over waterslides, let it cure, light sand if there are bubbles then proceed with hvlp clear over the whole play field to reduce risk of destroying the decals?

Vid recommends two very, very light dust coats, 15 minutes apart, prior to shooting over them. It worked well for me. Otherwise, it may straight up melt the decals.

1 month later
#5855 5 years ago

Just have to say a huge thank you to Vid and for this thread. I just won the best in show for early 80s SS at Pintastic New England with my Firepower that I restored. People swore it had to be a CPR playfield in there because of how well the clear came out! Between this thread, pop bumper rebuilding, and system 6 bulletproofing, you helped make it all possible! Thank you!

1BFC2FB5-C178-42FF-8E0B-99D731654788 (resized).jpeg1BFC2FB5-C178-42FF-8E0B-99D731654788 (resized).jpeg
#5859 5 years ago

Many thanks, everyone!

I've got a play field restoration type question now though: so, my FP got a few hundred plays on it at the show. It exposed a weakness in my repairs: The ball trough to shooter lane area that the ball hits, I filled it in with epoxy putty as filler, painted, then cleared it. Apparently, the putty does not hold up well after a few hundred poundings on it from the ball trough:

IMG_4109 (resized).JPGIMG_4109 (resized).JPG

As you see, the repair has crumbled under repeated bashing, but the overlying strip of clear is holding it together. Obviously, this will not stay together forever and needs to be repaired. I already took the step of ordering a protector from Cliffy that I will place over it so it won't happen again. However, I am not one to half-a*s things, and I want to repair the field underneath properly. I know that "spot-clear" does not work per your earlier posts. So, what should I do? Use bondo instead after opening the wound more, then sanding level? Or is there something better and more cosmetically appealing that you would suggest?

#5863 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I don’t think there is much that would stand up to direct ball hits in a corner very well so I think I would watch very closely to the ball eject and see what it is doing and then try and make an adjustment if possible to keep the ball from slamming the edge.

I'll make a video of it later on and you tell me what you think. I'm not 100% sure I know what you are describing, so perhaps that will help.

Either way, I still need to figure out how to fix the thing.

#5865 5 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

Are you sure this is the filler getting slammed or could there also be a separation between the clear and the wood?
What I'd do if it was my game is do is touch up with some clear, add thick mylar over the area and cut a custom stainless steel protector that extends a bit and wraps over and hides the damage area.

SS protector is on the way from Cliffy. I'm pretty sure that it's the epoxy: the strip of clear on top is pretty adherent, and the epoxy is kind of caving out from the sides (looks like the cracks in the picture).

#5866 5 years ago

Ok here is the video of the ball coming out from a few angles. The thing really has cratered into a hole to the wood now, as can be seen in the attached picture. I know I need to fill it in, just what will look/be best I don't know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmczc1fje7fed6c/MVI_4114.MOV?dl=0

IMG_4115 (resized).JPGIMG_4115 (resized).JPG
#5869 5 years ago

Cliffy on the way, I think that is about the only way to go as you described. I'd love Vid's 2¢ on this as well when he returns!

#5871 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gently round over your edges (that's known as "easing the edge") before painting and clearcoating.

I recall you saying "you can't spot clear" over something...so with the rest of the play field in fine condition (and already cleared), how should I go about fixing this one spot?

#5873 5 years ago

So I guess ill fill with the epoxy again, paint to match, sand the area, clear again (I think I have to use a small brush, although that makes you cringe), and then sand to match and polish. I guess it's the best I can do.

#5874 5 years ago

By the way, at a seminar that I was at during Pietistic, the TNT guys said something that would make you cringe: that LEMON PLEDGE works well on older EM play fields as wax...

3 weeks later
#5906 5 years ago

Vid, I've got a question regarding my trough kicker rebuild that I did:

Well, I installed my cliffy protector and replaced my shooter lane ball eject cam arm, and have two problems. One is that the cliffy is too wide by 1/16 inch or so...what I mean by that is if I move it to fit properly over the ball trough, it impeeds the straight firing of the ball by a hair...not Motoblur in play, but will eventually scratch up the balls. If I align it with the shooter lane, then it covers part of the ball trough and impeeds the balls getting all the way to the end of the trough. I’m worried about the latter because...
Now that I changed the cam arm (and coil spring sleeve), the ball rockets out of the trough like a bat out of hell. The problem with that is it is colliding with the underside of the apron and sometimes not even making it into the trough. I’ve tried adjusting the lane width at the exit to no avail. I had a new spring I bought for the mechanism as well, but that put even more power behind the ball. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong adjusting these things. Anyone have suggestions?

2fc91fc007d09aab9aa88ac57bdcdfbf4b7152ef (resized).jpg2fc91fc007d09aab9aa88ac57bdcdfbf4b7152ef (resized).jpg58805b5e500825c7c61c52bfed4483fe31e6dac2 (resized).jpg58805b5e500825c7c61c52bfed4483fe31e6dac2 (resized).jpg6880d33cd26b1c779235ae8925cd55e80fbfb796 (resized).jpg6880d33cd26b1c779235ae8925cd55e80fbfb796 (resized).jpg8b78376f00f6b9e0d54f24ad53e95984470d295a (resized).jpg8b78376f00f6b9e0d54f24ad53e95984470d295a (resized).jpg
#5909 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes you have to bend the arm to make sure it is hitting the center of the ball.
A tiny bend makes a BIG difference, so take it easy till you figure out how it works.
Work the mech by hand with the apron off so you can watch.

I assume you mean bend it laterally, not increase or decrease the amount of curvature it has.

#5914 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes you have to bend the arm to make sure it is hitting the center of the ball.
A tiny bend makes a BIG difference, so take it easy till you figure out how it works.
Work the mech by hand with the apron off so you can watch.

This thing is driving me absolutely batty. So, I also referenced the arm that was in there originally to see how it was set. It was actually purposely bent in towards the top of the playfield. So, I tried the same thing. This does help a little, but the ball still is not clearing the apron fully. I tried your suggestion, Vid, and made sure that the arm was dead center on the ball. This made it much worse, and the ball couldn't even clear the housing, causing it to repeatedly smash into the apron and back into the trough, over and over until I'd restart the machine. I switched back to the original spring with less tension, which also helped...but that's just because it is worn out. I also replaced the plunger as someone else suggested...no help there.

I'm not sure what to do with this thing. One thing I can tell you which seemed a little wonky: the flat edge of the arm that contacts the ball, only the lower part of it makes contact. This was where the old one was worn down and why I replaced it...is there some other way to adjust it other than just bending the arm left and right?

#5916 5 years ago

I think the mech is ok (lined up with original holes). Exact same plunger, stop was in good shape so I kept it. The one way gate is there, but it is before any of this (it comes before where the three balls line up waiting to be hit into the shooter lane). It is correctly positioned.

I think the best thing I can do is shoot a video of all this in action and get some 360 degree coverage of the mech. I'll give that a go tonight. Thank you for all your patience with me.

#5917 5 years ago

Ok, I've got the movies uploaded. The first is the ball ejecting with the arm bent way up towards the top of the playfield. It does come out, but still contacts the lip of the apron. Second movie is of the mechanism, how it lines up with the ball, and how it was bent. I then bent it back to hit the middle of the ball, as you had suggested. Third movie is the ball getting stuck, ramming up on the apron. The fourth and final is how it looks with the apron off. The thing takes off like a rocket as you can see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h3oz14bxgnlvg2r/MVI_4155.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/34rj0e7ht3nwem8/MVI_4156.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k60r3dr8xm3yduz/MVI_4157.MOV?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hb33ac77vxx0pps/MVI_4158.MOV?dl=0

#5921 5 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions. The cliffy I took off to experiment; no difference. As for the spring, I did order one from Marco same number as specified in the 1980 Williams part manual, and although tighter, matches my old one exactly. Maybe the arm is the issue... but it is the same as what was there. I’ll get a list of exactly what I ordered later

5 months later
#6316 5 years ago

Those Brother printers are awesome. I have one, and I printed my Firepower decals on it. Crazy cheap for toner.

1 year later
#6845 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Any thoughts on how to fill these gaps around the inserts prior to clear coating? Almost every insert on the playfield has this kind of space around it. Thinking maybe a syringe full of paint. Maybe super glue. Just don’t want to deal with dripping clear with an eye dropper with gaps that wide after laying down the first coat.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The best options, as others said, is clear. You don’t even need to “fill” them necessarily, just have a continuous surface between the insert and table. When I restored my FP (which it appears yours is as well), getting the surface smooth was achieved by putting on the “lockdown” coat of clear before doing any other restoration (after insets leveled/epoxied and original top coat removed). Then, using glass eyedroppers to drip 2PAC onto the insert. It won’t drip between, it will make a smooth surface. Sand this down as per vids instructions. It worked great for me. Later on, when you apply your decals, it will hide any appearance of gap under the clear.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider la_porta.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration?tu=la_porta and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.