Pinside_forum_1762038_386370 (resized).jpg
IMG_3141 (resized).JPG
PXL_20240304_203555066 (resized).jpg
20240301_160448 (resized).jpg
20240301_131123 (resized).jpg
IMG_2646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3299 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

143 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 176.
#5701 5 years ago

Evercoat Edge 2.1 102740 base with 102744 medium catalyst. I got it from a local auto body paint store.

20180429_065128 (resized).jpg20180429_065128 (resized).jpg
#5702 5 years ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

Evercoat Edge 2.1 102740 base with 102744 medium catalyst. I got it from a local auto body paint store.

It does not look cured.

Did you measure the ratios EXACTLY?

Did it get sprayed in too cold a temp?

If you put your nose up to it, does it still smell like solvent?

Let's see a pic of the gloss of the playfield. If it's not fully cured, usually you can't get it to buff out to a full mirror.

#5703 5 years ago

I know there's some smart printer folks here. Here's my frustration. Just bough a new Canon MF632Cdw laser printer. It prints great. EXCEPT.... The colors are completely different than the original scan.

Not as noticeable in the picture but the (what is supposed to be) white in the checker pattern is MUCH darker than the original in real life. The picture difference doesn't show this well.

The green is a completely different color of green.

I've ran the auto adjust twice, where the printer prints a rainbow then scans it to determine the difference between original and product.

Is my expectations of scanning/color matching to much? I know it would be impossible to be exact, but this isn't even close.

Thoughts?

printer test original (resized).jpgprinter test original (resized).jpg

printer test print out (resized).jpgprinter test print out (resized).jpg

#5704 5 years ago

Make sure you have the correct color profiles installed for printer and screen.

#5705 5 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Make sure you have the correct color profiles installed for printer and screen.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean... How do I do this?

If you can, PM me instead so we don't clog up Vid's thread (any more)

Thank you for any and all input!

#5706 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It does not look cured.
Did you measure the ratios EXACTLY?
Did it get sprayed in too cold a temp?
If you put your nose up to it, does it still smell like solvent?
Let's see a pic of the gloss of the playfield. If it's not fully cured, usually you can't get it to buff out to a full mirror.

I agree that it is not fully cured. It has a decent shine, but I would not describe it as a mirror finish. I had chalked that up to lack of polishing experience but now it seems like it not being fully cured is probably the real issue. Here is what it looks like:

20180429_091014 (resized).jpg20180429_091014 (resized).jpg

I can barely smell the distinct clearcoat solvent stink but there is a faint whiff there if I press my nose right up onto it.

As for measuring, I use these little disposable medicine cups:

20180429_091132 (resized).jpg20180429_091132 (resized).jpg

I fill it to the top 4x for the body and once for the catalyst. I have been careful about temperature. Our weather has been a tad too cold for this stuff, so I've been heating the workshop up with the woodstove and getting everything up to 70-75 degrees. I measure ambient temperature with the thermostat for my wall mounted a/c unit and surface temp of the playfield and clearcoat containers (which I agitate regularly to try to ensure that the clear in the container is the same as the container itself) with an infrared spot gun.

I am starting to wonder, though, about temperature fluctuations 6-8 hours and beyond after application. I do not keep the workshop at a steady temperature since the wood stove is the only heat source. I wonder if the fact that later on in the curing process the temperatures range from 50-60 at night to 70ish in the daytime is slowing down the full cure too much?

Now that I am once again depopulating the topside, I can see that it is the posts that were smaller in diameter at their base and star posts that had significant band tension on them that caused the worst of the clearcoat damage. That said, even standard star posts with no tension left ring marks in the clear. Here are a couple more examples:

20180429_093044 (resized).jpg20180429_093044 (resized).jpg

20180429_093347 (resized).jpg20180429_093347 (resized).jpg

I am no longer intent on trying to salvage this without shooting another layer or two of clear to repair it. It seems like the bad wrinkles probably need to be cut out and the area filled with eyedropper applications of clear, block sanded and cleared again? And what about the areas that just have halos from slight lifting of the clear? I have no clue how best to approach those.

#5707 5 years ago

I'd assume letting it fully cure as is, then sanding it down until wrinkles are gone.

#5708 5 years ago

How many hours of cure time did it have before you started populating it? Seems strange it is so soft.

#5709 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

How many hours of cure time did it have before you started populating it? Seems strange it is so soft.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of three weeks.

#5710 5 years ago

Urethanes are peculiar about temperature and below 60 they often will not dry at all. Ive seen stuff that can still be finger printed the next day.

#5711 5 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean... How do I do this?
If you can, PM me instead so we don't clog up Vid's thread (any more)
Thank you for any and all input!

It gets messy, real messy. You have to set up color calibration throughout your workflow, from scanner to monitor to printer to inks to paper. It requires a combination of software and hardware to do it “right”. Some of the hardware gets expensive, such as the monitor calibrators. The pros also use expensive high end monitors that are made for accurate color representation. You can get things somewhat close on your own with freely available or cheap tools, but the less accurate the entire system is the more trial and error you will need.

There are also certain colors that might have been laid down with specialty inks that you will never be able to replicate with digital printing such as inkjet or laser. This will lead you to the wonderful world of gamuts.

There are lots of references on the webs to help, here is a decent one.

https://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/features/creative-software/how-get-consistent-colour-from-screen-print/

Some gamut info, there is plenty more to google.

http://blog.imagesmith.com/2011/06/22/color-printing-101-the-rgb-cmyk-spectrum/

#5712 5 years ago

It seems like the bad wrinkles probably need to be cut out and the area filled with eyedropper applications of clear, block sanded and cleared again?

Yep, while they are still soft, cut those wrinkled and ghosted areas out and let the playfield fully harden.

#5713 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep, while they are still soft, cut those wrinkled and ghosted areas out and let the playfield fully harden.

After I do that, what do you think about putting the playfield back in the cab with the glass on and sitting it out in partial sun in the afternoons (it's been in the high 70's/low 80's here lately) to kick up the temperature to get it to cure better? I'd babysit it with the spot temp gun to be sure it didn't get overly hot.

#5714 5 years ago

I agree that it is not fully cured. It has a decent shine, but I would not describe it as a mirror finish. I had chalked that up to lack of polishing experience but now it seems like it not being fully cured is probably the real issue. Here is what it looks like:

I can barely smell the distinct clearcoat solvent stink but there is a faint whiff there if I press my nose right up onto it.
As for measuring, I use these little disposable medicine cups:

I fill it to the top 4x for the body and once for the catalyst. I have been careful about temperature. Our weather has been a tad too cold for this stuff, so I've been heating the workshop up with the woodstove and getting everything up to 70-75 degrees. I measure ambient temperature with the thermostat for my wall mounted a/c unit and surface temp of the playfield and clearcoat containers (which I agitate regularly to try to ensure that the clear in the container is the same as the container itself) with an infrared spot gun.
I am starting to wonder, though, about temperature fluctuations 6-8 hours and beyond after application. I do not keep the workshop at a steady temperature since the wood stove is the only heat source. I wonder if the fact that later on in the curing process the temperatures range from 50-60 at night to 70ish in the daytime is slowing down the full cure too much?
Now that I am once again depopulating the topside, I can see that it is the posts that were smaller in diameter at their base and star posts that had significant band tension on them that caused the worst of the clearcoat damage. That said, even standard star posts with no tension left ring marks in the clear. Here are a couple more examples:

I am no longer intent on trying to salvage this without shooting another layer or two of clear to repair it. It seems like the bad wrinkles probably need to be cut out and the area filled with eyedropper applications of clear, block sanded and cleared again? And what about the areas that just have halos from slight lifting of the clear? I have no clue how best to approach those.

how did you apply the clearcoat ? , 2 or 3 light layers with 5-15 minutes inb2in ? or maybe you applied too much of a clear resulting in a thick layer ?

#5715 5 years ago

Mist coat with 10 minute flash time followed by a wet coat. I don't remember how many total coats are on there. Four, I think, applied days apart. I think it is both thick and too cold as an average temperature and hence not fully cured.

#5716 5 years ago

Is this the first time you have used this clear?
What is the mix ratio? I would get a real mix cup from the place you bought it instead of the little cups. They have markings on them for all the different ratios available.
Something seems off here. I have cleared many playfields and I have never seen anything like that on a playfield that has been sitting 3 weeks. But I'm also not a professional.

#5717 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Is this the first time you have used this clear?
What is the mix ratio? I would get a real mix cup from the place you bought it instead of the little cups. They have markings on them for all the different ratios available.
Something seems off here. I have cleared many playfields and I have never seen anything like that on a playfield that has been sitting 3 weeks. But I'm also not a professional.

You might not be a pro but your work is on par with one. I used this same clear on a prior project. It worked fine. The significant differences between this project and the last are average ambient temperature (lower in this case) and total layers of clear (more in this case).

#5718 5 years ago

After I do that, what do you think about putting the playfield back in the cab with the glass on and sitting it out in partial sun in the afternoons (it's been in the high 70's/low 80's here lately) to kick up the temperature to get it to cure better? I'd babysit it with the spot temp gun to be sure it didn't get overly hot.

Do the directions for that clear say you can cure it with an IR (inferred) lamp?

#5719 5 years ago

Also, I'd try to sand off 2 of those layers, then let it harden.

It might clog the sandpaper, but thinning it out will probably allow the deep layers to cure much better.

Then put down a THIN top layer.

Don't feel too bad, I got some reproduction playfields from overseas that had WAY too much clear on them. They all had to be sanded back; it was ridiculous.

#5720 5 years ago

I'm not sure about infrared curing but the label indicates normal forced curing of 30 minutes at 140F.

I agree about sanding it back. It's WAY too thick. I've surgically removed the worst wrinkles by heating slightly with a hairdryer and scoring with the xacto knife. What comes off looks like a clear washer roughly 1/32" thick.

Approximately how much liquid volume of clear do you normally apply per layer? I've been mixing a total of 5 fluid ounces and typically have just a tiny amount left in the gun after spraying.

20180430_094850 (resized).jpg20180430_094850 (resized).jpg20180430_095622 (resized).jpg20180430_095622 (resized).jpg
#5721 5 years ago

That looks thicker than a standard piece of mylar.

#5722 5 years ago

I usually shoot 2 thin layers about 1 hour apart if I'm doing a clear only job.

Restoration work might have different very thin layers just to lock down previous work, then the 2 top layers.

#5723 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I usually shoot 2 thin layers about 1 hour apart if I'm doing a clear only job.
Restoration work might have different very thin layers just to lock down previous work, then the 2 top layers.

How thin is thin? Do you have a rough sense of the total liquid volume of clear you usually shoot per coat?

#5724 5 years ago

This is waaaay too thick for sure !! I use approximately 180 - 200 ml for the whole clear coat process ( 1 light and + 1 wet )

#5725 5 years ago
Quoted from phototamer:

I use approximately 180 - 200 ml for the whole clear coat process

+1

Edit: (now that I have the hang of the cheap HF HVLP)

#5726 5 years ago

Do you have a rough sense of the total liquid volume of clear you usually shoot per coat?

I'd have to measure, but I usually do a bunch of playfields with a single load in the gun.

#5727 5 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

+1
Edit: (now that I have the hang of the cheap HF HVLP)

Okay thanks - I'm in that ballpark. I've been mixing roughly 170ml and always have a tiny bit leftover.

I think the bottom layers just were not fully cured as I put on subsequent layers. Combine that with low temps after the initial set and I think that explains it.

I've got the worst of it cut out. Vid, I like your reasoning on sanding. I'm going to go that route.

Thanks for all the good questions and suggestions. It has really helped me think this through, hopefully to a point of understanding, definitely to a point of having confidence in my repair approach.

#5728 5 years ago

One last comment/thought before I take this freak show back to my restoration thread - it's a sunny 65 here today. Simply moving the playfield outside into direct sun has kicked up the surface temperature of the playfield to 106F and rising in just 15 minutes. NOW I can really smell the solvents.

20180430_125201 (resized).jpg20180430_125201 (resized).jpg
#5729 5 years ago

I can really smell the solvents.

The nose knows!

#5730 5 years ago

One last comment/thought before I take this freak show back to my restoration thread - it's a sunny 65 here today. Simply moving the playfield outside into direct sun has kicked up the surface temperature of the playfield to 106F and rising in just 15 minutes. NOW I can really smell the solvents.

Nice job! I had sprayed mine inside my shed, which gets pretty hot even with the windows open in the sun. I think that's the only reason why I didn't have a similar outcome as you did.

#5731 5 years ago

Should there be concern about fading the colors in direct sunlight?

#5732 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

Should there be concern about fading the colors in direct sunlight?

Only if it was going to live out there long term. A few afternoons in the sun won't hurt decent quality pigments like these.

#5733 5 years ago

Approximately how much liquid volume of clear do you normally apply per layer? I've been mixing a total of 5 fluid ounces and typically have just a tiny amount left in the gun after spraying.

I havent done a lot of clearing in my very short career (1 playfield....). But the one i did turned out great.
I have never mixed and sprayed more than 2-3 fl-oz in one session. Generally more like 2. And always gave it a week or two before next spraying session.

But a lot of sessions with sanding in between. Probably 8 or 10.

I am a BIG proponent of many very thin coats. Weather its clear or paint.
Works for me.

#5734 5 years ago

What's the best way to tackle a hairline crack and some ghosting on an insert?

It's a first run WW CPR playfield and had additional clear done by HSA. It sat in my closet for the last 4 or 5 years so it's fully cured.

I guess I exerted a little too much pressure when I was re-populating the topside and it cracked the clear and ghosted the insert. You can see it starting at the disc and it traveled up to the top of the insert.

Whirlwind Insert (resized).jpgWhirlwind Insert (resized).jpg

#5735 5 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

What's the best way to tackle a hairline crack and some ghosting on an insert?
It's a first run WW CPR playfield and had additional clear done by HSA. It sat in my closet for the last 4 or 5 years so it's fully cured.
I guess I exerted a little too much pressure when I was re-populating the topside and it cracked the clear and ghosted the insert. You can see it starting at the disc and it traveled up to the top of the insert.

Wow, that must be some hard clear!

See if HSA will send you a few ounces of the clear they use, and then do a normal drip and fill with eyedropper.

The clear is usually super thin, so it will probably wick into at least part of that crack.

#5736 5 years ago

Hi guys!
I have a wh2o with some planking and raised inserts w minimal paint loss.
My goal is to clean it up as best possible and put a playfield protector on it to prevent future wear and tear.
My question is what is the best way to get this grime out of the planking cracks?
I took one of the cracks and used novus 2 w a magic eraser... which helped a little but not enough.
I do have some namptha i could try, but was curious on suggestions.
Thx guys! U rock!

8987DC13-9F59-4FE5-B681-E2143F75B22A (resized).jpeg8987DC13-9F59-4FE5-B681-E2143F75B22A (resized).jpeg

CDBCC4D6-1268-41A8-9CB5-5161BDB4467D (resized).jpegCDBCC4D6-1268-41A8-9CB5-5161BDB4467D (resized).jpeg

#5737 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Hi guys!
My goal is to clean it up as best possible and put a playfield protector on it to prevent future wear and tear.
My question is what is the best way to get this grime out of the planking cracks?

That game must have been stored in an unconditioned space (like a garage).

Nothing will clean it.

Even if you took a dental pick and scraped out any grime, it would still be a dark crack.

You will have to put paint into those cracks, let it 1/2 dry, then wipe it off against the grain (so it stays in the crack).

#5738 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

starting at the disc and it traveled up to the top of the insert.

Wow, that must be some hard clear!

See if HSA will send you a few ounces of the clear they use, and then do a normal drip and fill with eyedropper.

The clear is usually super thin, so it will probably wick into at least part of that crack.

Yes, it's definitely hard stuff, but looks gorgeous compared to my other CPR PFs. I was surprised it craked, but then again that insert is so close to a weak spot on the PF.

But thank you for the suggestion, I have sent them an email and hopefully I can get a small sample to try and repair.

#5739 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Hi guys!
I took one of the cracks and used novus 2 w a magic eraser... which helped a little but not enough.
I do have some namptha i could try, but was curious on suggestions.
Thx guys! U rock!

Vid is , as usual , right . You could try some white paint in the cracks first . This way the actual final color will cover the imperfections much better .

#5740 5 years ago

Vid u agree on the white paint down first?
Also cleaning the playfield and painting the cracks... do u think that just putting a playfield protector over it is the best/easiest/cheapest way to handle the situation?
Thx again!

#5741 5 years ago

vid1900 curious about your thoughts on technique in regards to airbrushing. If you take a look at a situation like this:

apron_example (resized).jpgapron_example (resized).jpg

You'll see there is pretty typical wear and tear around the lower right edge of the apron. My instinct here would be to:

1) Scuff up with 800 (maybe wet?) for the entire apron
2) Clean w/ naptha
3) Mask off everything but the burgundy area around the outside of the apron white stripe
4) Mix paint to match (Createx) and airbrush everything unmasked
5) Cure with a heat gun
6) Repeat 3-5 for every worn out area
5) Spray with matte clear (possibly sand w/ 800 again, clean, and spray again, depending on how it looks.)

Reading through your thread, a couple things concern me. First, I notice other restorers often replace an entire color. That seems impossible given the Bally script and tiny black lettering around the middle of the apron. Second, if I re-do the burgundy...I probably have to re-do the black and the white striping... and at a certain point, you fall down this black hole of repainting everything but the black lettering. That's fine but then you're left with these rectangles around the lettering, right?

I just want to hear how you might approach this. Before reading this thread I might have painted the worn out areas with an airbrush and NOT replaced an entire color, just the worn areas, then cleared to finish.

#5742 5 years ago

Rub on lettering? Water slide (might show edge)?

my inexperienced 2¢

#5743 5 years ago
Quoted from DropTarget:

Rub on lettering? Water slide (might show edge)?
my inexperienced 2¢

Well, similar to decals, you can paint and clear over sometimes and really reduce the edge effect. What bothers me about doing that, though, is my lettering and paint around them is absolutely perfect and unworn. It would be such a shame to lose it.

#5744 5 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Also cleaning the playfield and painting the cracks... do u think that just putting a playfield protector over it is the best/easiest/cheapest way to handle the situation?

You just have to decide on how far you want to take the restoration.

You can just leave the cracks. They won't get any worse if you keep it in a heated building.

Or you can paint and restore the playfield.

Or you can just buy a brand new playfield.

#5745 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

First, I notice other restorers often replace an entire color. That seems impossible given the Bally script and tiny black lettering around the middle of the apron.

The black lettering is great, because you can do a waterslide decal to replicate.

Much easier than yellow or orange lettering.

The clearcoat dissolves the waterslide decal itself.

#5746 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Well, similar to decals, you can paint and clear over sometimes and really reduce the edge effect. What bothers me about doing that, though, is my lettering and paint around them is absolutely perfect and unworn. It would be such a shame to lose it.

You could computer color match the color, then just spot repair the chips.

Not perfect, but the apron is generally not a well lit part of the game.

Mask off a straight line, right at the bend/break, and just paint the front of the apron to cover the ball trail.

#5747 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The clearcoat dissolves the waterslide decal itself.

Just to clarify: Are you saying that the waterslide decal would dissolve, leaving the ink behind, making it flat...or that you shouldn't clear over the decal?

Quoted from vid1900:

You could computer color match the color, then just spot repair the chips.

You think this would be a better approach than mixing Createx opaque paints? Not dissing The Home Depot's color match technology, just the paint.

#5748 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

Just to clarify: Are you saying that the waterslide decal would dissolve, leaving the ink behind, making it flat...or that you shouldn't clear over the decal?

The clear dissolves the decal, so yes, you have to clear over it.

You should also cut the decal as close to the lettering as you can.

Quoted from jsa:

You think this would be a better approach than mixing Createx opaque paints? Not dissing The Home Depot's color match technology, just the paint.

When I'm painting cabs, I just computerize the latex paint color in the highest quality paint the store stocks.

I love rolling a cab or head on a dolly into the center of the store.

If the apron is toasted, I paint that with the same paint as the cab - then clear over it for durability.

If the apron is a common color like black, I just powdercoat it myself.

#5749 5 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

vid1900 curious about your thoughts on technique in regards to airbrushing. If you take a look at a situation like this:

Just to add in my two cents, see my post in my resto thread below to see what I did:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-portas-firepower-rejuvenation/page/4#post-4190584

I really scraped back around those areas to make sure there was no remaining flakes or rust underneath.

#5750 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If the apron is toasted, I paint that with the same paint as the cab - then clear over it for durability. If the apron is a common color like black, I just powdercoat it myself.

Just my luck, my apron is a unique color totally different than any other color on the playfield, rails or cab. Still, I can bring it in and paint match it as an option to get close to the color and clear over the latex.

Quoted from La_Porta:

Just to add in my two cents, see my post in my resto thread below to see what I did:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/la-portas-firepower-rejuvenation/page/4#post-4190584
I really scraped back around those areas to make sure there was no remaining flakes or rust underneath.

Great post, thank you. I think my current plan is to stare at it for a stupid amount of time and decide what to do next. I'm fine doing some detailed masking. Any reason not to use frisket vs. masking tape? If I can't blend in a color, I'll probably have to re-do the graphics/lettering, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 8,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 176.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/115 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.