main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 91.
#651 7 years ago

My GB won't be too far away now. I recall hearing Stern pinballs are rubbish. Why I don't know. Firstly to the nib stern guys, do you recommend replacing the nib balls immediately or not? Secondly, is there better balls than others as GB has 12 balls. Thirdly, should I replace the 6 captive balls or only the trough ones? thanks

#652 7 years ago

Yes, trash the Stern balls. I put 6 of the "so-shiney" balls from Pinball Life into the through and then bought 4 green glowballs from Mezel to put in the left captive and 2 pink glowballs to put in the center captive. After the issues with the bending rail, I put another regular ball in the center captive. Total count is 13 balls.

#653 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Yes, trash the Stern balls. I put 6 of the "so-shiney" balls from Pinball Life into the through and then bought 4 green glowballs from Mezel to put in the left captive and 2 pink glowballs to put in the center captive. After the issues with the bending rail, I put another regular ball in the center captive. Total count is 13 balls.

thanks for the advise

#654 7 years ago

If your GB is an Le or premium, make sure what you're replacing the balls with says it's safe for games with magnets. Otherwise your balls will get magnetized in no time

#655 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

If your GB is an Le or premium, make sure what you're replacing the balls with says it's safe for games with magnets. Otherwise your balls will get magnetized in no time

thanks will do

#656 7 years ago

So after years of throwing out the new pinballs that stern puts in the machine, it now looks like they ran out of those old nasty balls. My GB had very nice pinballs in the machine and in the captive areas, a quick polish and they shine very nice.

#657 7 years ago

Yep, the pinballs in the GB of my friend looked fine. The captive balls needed a shine however which only took a few
Minutes

#658 7 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

So after years of throwing out the new pinballs that stern puts in the machine, it now looks like they ran out of those old nasty balls. My GB had very nice pinballs in the machine and in the captive areas, a quick polish and they shine very nice.

They've always looked fine. They came with some coating on them. Some glass cleaner and they look great. Always have since I've been around from 2009 to now. I'll admit that if you don't clean them they look pretty cloudy like older balls. The ones for ghost busters looked to have come pre cleaned.

#659 7 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Great ... a new pinballmachine with nice looking and shiny pinballs. Great ! After my trouble with GoT i am cured from buying STERN NIB .. but if they use new, nice and shiny pinballs now .. mhhhh

#660 7 years ago

Every pinball manufacturer has their issues some maybe more than others. BLY/WMS games had issues too just most people on Pinside weren't in the hobby or didn't own machines then. Just from 91 to 99 there were 31 officially documented service bulletins from BLY/WMS. I remember games would be un-boxed and they wouldn't even turn on!

#661 7 years ago

exactly. Plus there were tons of blemishes in the cabinets and playfields. ops didn't give a shit. Collectors these days would have a cow, if they saw the mismatched marker touchups we used to get in the B/W 90's days. Pinball is no place for the anal collector.

#662 7 years ago

An update for people experiencing the issue with the drop targets for the Scoleri brothers. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4251

#663 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

An update for people experiencing the issue with the drop targets for the Scoleri brothers. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4251

Awesome that's definitly a must from all the reviews/reports.

But it would be nice to see Stern step up and do this in house before the games leave the factory, it's another design flaw cmon Stern "you" should be fixing it

#664 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

exactly. Plus there were tons of blemishes in the cabinets and playfields. ops didn't give a shit. Collectors these days would have a cow, if they saw the mismatched marker touchups we used to get in the B/W 90's days. Pinball is no place for the anal collector.

I believe you are a little off on your comparisons. B/W didn't charge 10K for a pinball machine even if you factor in inflation rates. Stern's quality has not improved ( if not gotten worse) as their cost goes up and they continue to cut corners on the builds. But hey, as long as you have people that will buy anything new that Stern comes out with, where is their incentive to change?

#665 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I believe you are a little off on your comparisons. B/W didn't charge 10K for a pinball machine even if you factor in inflation rates. Stern's quality has not improved ( if not gotten worse)?

I think your comparison is off because I'm not sure what 10K Stern pins you are referring too.

#666 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

But it would be nice to see Stern step up and do this in house before the games leave the factory, it's another design flaw cmon Stern "you" should be fixing it

Is it really a design flaw? Not everyone has this problem. Right out of the box, sure - I had some direct hard hits not drop the target - but as the machine has broken in over about 100 plays (or less) I've only seen a rare few times now. ...not sure that really qualifies as a design flaw that stern should stop the line to fix.

#667 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I believe you are a little off on your comparisons. B/W didn't charge 10K for a pinball machine even if you factor in inflation rates. Stern's quality has not improved ( if not gotten worse) as their cost goes up and they continue to cut corners on the builds. But hey, as long as you have people that will buy anything new that Stern comes out with, where is their incentive to change?

game only have increased in price because you guys line up for games you never played. As long as your wallets keep coming out, the price will keep going up. Has nothing to do with build quality. Never will be. It's how much you guys are willing to pay. Flaws remain consistent over the decades.

#668 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Is it really a design flaw? Not everyone has this problem. Right out of the box, sure - I had some direct hard hits not drop the target - but as the machine has broken in over about 100 plays (or less) I've only seen a rare few times now. ...not sure that really qualifies as a design flaw that stern should stop the line to fix.

In my opinion, a "drop" target that doesn't drop when it's hit is clearly not designed/working right, so yeah it is an issue Stern should be addressing, if it's simply a stronger spring required then they don't need to stop the line to fix the issue just use a stronger/better quality spring rather than the springs there probably using out of happy meal toys to save a buck.

#669 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

In my opinion, a "drop" target that doesn't drop when it's hit is clearly not designed/working right, so yeah it is an issue Stern should be addressing, if it's simply a stronger spring required then they don't need to stop the line to fix the issue just use a stronger/better quality spring rather than the springs there probably using out of happy meal toys to save a buck.

Ever played a bally? Lol

#670 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ever played a bally? Lol

Bally Bricks. It's Pinball.

#671 7 years ago

Thank you, I've been holding my tongue on Bally's to see how knowledgeable some people are. Play a space invaders and hit the left three straight on, hard and see those little babies refuse to fall. Weaken them a little and they fall while the ball is no where near them.

#672 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Ever played a bally? Lol

I was being specific to GB, it's 2016 and pins are far more expensive now surely if we can send people to the moon we can finally get a drop target that drops

#673 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I was being specific to GB, it's 2016 and pins are far more expensive now surely if we can send people to the moon we can finally get a drop target that drops

Why are expectations so different because it's GB? Maybe if people realized drop targets aren't always perfect in dropping in any hit. Try the TNT targets on AC/DC... they brick a lot too.

I didn't have any problem with the GB games I played.. because I aimed to hit the targets more from the side.. because I was avoiding the sucker drains.

#674 7 years ago

GOT LOL targets brick too. Oh and so do my LW3 targets. Oh and my Big Game targets. Actually the only one that doesn't brick is my one classic Bally (EBDLE). Haha

#675 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Pinball life will have the pinball universe kits in 2 weeks

The Pinball Universe kits are now on the Pinball Life webpage. Just ordered mine.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4255

#676 7 years ago

Wish it was just the height extenders really don't want a center post or super bands thought everyone uses Titan competition rubbers now

Edit just ordered mine

#677 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

GOT LOL targets brick too. Oh and so do my LW3 targets. Oh and my Big Game targets. Actually the only one that doesn't brick is my one classic Bally (EBDLE). Haha

My Gottlieb Atlantis targets drop perfectly!

#678 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Cool just post back when you get it so we can time it. They told me today they'd "send mine out" so just curious.

Still haven't got mine...but the holiday weekend boned everything up

#679 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why are expectations so different because it's GB? Maybe if people realized drop targets aren't always perfect in dropping in any hit.

My expectations are not different with GB, if I'm buying something doesn't matter what it is, I expect it to work and do what it's supposed to do within reason, like you said drops don't always drop but with a good clean shot it's always nice if they do, without launching your ball over the outlines of course

My point and I probably didn't make it clear initially, was if the fix is simply a stronger/better spring then why aren't stern using a stronger/better quality spring out the box? For the price of a Stern pin I don't think asking for a more suitable spring is a big ask, especially if it improves the gameplay of a main feature - I love drops/pop up targets mid playfield so I personally would like them to be up and down and involved with a game as much as possible

#680 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

My expectations are not different with GB, if I'm buying something doesn't matter what it is, I expect it to work and do what it's supposed to do within reason, like you said drops don't always drop but with a good clean shot it's always nice if they do, without launching your ball over the outlines of course
My point and I probably didn't make it clear initially, was if the fix is simply a stronger/better spring then why aren't stern using a stronger/better quality spring out the box? For the price of a Stern pin I don't think asking for a more suitable spring is a big ask, especially if it improves the gameplay of a main feature - I love drops/pop up targets mid playfield so I personally would like them to be up and down and involved with a game as much as possible

Drop targets are tricky. If you put a stronger spring on then you risk the target not being able to stay up when reset. The drop mech will wear and get easier to drop over time and the stronger spring will cause the drop to machine gun in reset often.

The way the targets work is there is a shelf that the target rests on. When the ball hits the target, it knocks it back away from the shelf. The spring pulls the target down. If the ball is coming at the target too quickly, then the target will bounce back and then back into the shelf so quickly that the spring didn't pull it down to be below the shelf before it bounced back causing the target to not drop. The flippers in ghost busters are incredibly strong. A good strategy is to back hand the targets not shoot them straight on. Also, the targets are super risky shots. I'd avoid a direct shot regardless or you should expect some fast drains.

For anyone that wants a stronger spring, you dont need to buy anything. Just get some needle nose pliars and take your existing spring, unhook it, stretch it a little, and reattach it in the middle. As the targets break in you can reattach the spring as it is today.

#681 7 years ago

Things like Springs I will wait a 100 or so games before any replacements to see how things break in

#682 7 years ago

Potential improvement to fix Slimer hits. I made a wedge that fits inside under the Slimer ball so when the Slimer is hit from the side, the angle deflects it off the actuator plate. Then I added a spacer on top of the ball so you can but the plastic back on and tighten it down to hold the wedge in place. Play testing now.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#683 7 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Potential improvement to fix Slimer hits. I made a wedge that fits inside under the Slimer ball so when the Slimer is hit from the side, the angle deflects it off the actuator plate. Then I added a spacer on top of the ball so you can but the plastic back on and tighten it down to hold the wedge in place. Play testing now.

Intrested to hear if this is working.

#684 7 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

I'm wondering since you are Mr. Mezel himself, have you tried to get Stern to give you the new designed mech instead of rigging the bad design up? I'd think you have some pull over there to make it happen?

#685 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Cool just post back when you get it so we can time it. They told me today they'd "send mine out" so just curious.

Just received my fresh new Node board right from Stern yesterday. And when I saw "fresh" I mean node board complete with jumper wire and hot glued on resistor

#686 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just received my fresh new Node board right from Stern yesterday. And when I saw "fresh" I mean node board complete with jumper wire and hot glued on resistor

JJP does the same thing. I'm not surprised.

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Drop targets are tricky. If you put a stronger spring on then you risk the target not being able to stay up when reset. The drop mech will wear and get easier to drop over time and the stronger spring will cause the drop to machine gun in reset often.

Although I agree with this I will say that Stern identified this with TWD. The spring used on the woodburry drop target which is a blue spring is stronger than the red springs they use on all the other drop targets. The GB manual doesn't have the drop target assembly included so I can't cross reference the part to see if they are the same.

#688 7 years ago

Pinball life springs fixed the scoreli brothers. They dont brick anymore and drop easily with any contact. Longer spring in picture is old spring and way weaker then new spring

20160608_124514_(resized).jpg20160608_124514_(resized).jpg

#689 7 years ago

Wish I had ordered these with my pbu kit.....

#690 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Wish I had ordered these with my pbu kit.....

I originally made the stock springs shorter but they still werent strong enough. These new springs are 3x stronger and made the scoleris fun again instead of "oh shit scoleris again", i was hating when they would pop up with stock springs

#691 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I originally made the stock springs shorter but they still werent strong enough. These new springs are 3x stronger and made the scoleris fun again instead of "oh shit scoleris again", i was hating when they would pop up with stock springs

Makes you wonder why Pinball Life had to figure this out and JT didn't when designing the game and play testing it. Not to mention the other issues like the original Slimer mech, outlane ball jumping issue, bent captive ball wire guide, etc.

#692 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Makes you wonder why Pinball Life had to figure this out and JT didn't when designing the game and play testing it. Not to mention the other issues like the original Slimer mech, outlane ball jumping issue, bent captive ball wire guide, etc.

No idea but id assume they didnt do any real testing. I solved all the issues you listed. Original slimer reads perfect with a few adjustments, outlanes covered with pinball universe clear pieces, added extra ball to book stacking captive ball, and the pinball life springs fixing drop targets. Ive only had the ball jump the flippers once with all the fixes, the ghost target that activates slimer shoots airball back if hit to hard. Maybe a padded target would fix it.

#693 7 years ago

Feel the same way too about the drop targets...they pop up and crap, here comes a drain. I figured it was worth $ 2 to order the springs with the PBU plastic kit. Also ordered the mod power board to run the Mezel under cab leds (should work to power the ColorDMD display for SIGMA green) and also got the shooter lane SS protector plate.

#694 7 years ago

Where do you get the shooter lane protector set?

Thanks,

#695 7 years ago

accidental post.....

#696 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Thanks,

Do folks think the shooter lane protector is necessary for home use (though playing the hell out of it)? My dealer advised against it, but I definitely want this one to last.

#697 7 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

Do folks think the shooter lane protector is necessary for home use (though playing the hell out of it)? My dealer advised against it, but I definitely want this one to last.

Mylar on it is all you need IMO. If you put nothing, you'll definitely get wear that starts around 500 plays

#698 7 years ago

Anyone else get their GB pinblades shipped from Stern like this? Seems like there could be a better method.

#699 7 years ago

My GoT blades came like that. I rolled them once in the opposite direction to reverse the curve. No issue with install whatsoever.

#700 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Thanks,

Pinball Life.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2120

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.95
5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Belle River, ON
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 103.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.