main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (8 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider exflexer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Summary

FIXES

Slimmer Registration Fix (1st Gen Mech)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread#post-3117783

Flippers go into a low hold state.
-Make sure to check the EOS for proper gap.
-EOS switch logic updated 1.04.

Left up kicker is kicking the balls straight down the middle.
- Decreasing power setting to 20 will kick the ball to the top of the left sling.

Subway ramp the ball doesn't feed cleanly to the right return lane.
-Small stainless steel diverter flap is pertruding slightly causing the ball to skip. Adjust the flap by bending it slightly.

Full plunge causes the ball to not to feed cleanly
- Replace the orange spring with a green one. Double check the shooter rod alignment.

Drop Targets
- Backhand as direct shots will result with the target not dropping. If you can't live with it replace the springs with these http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4251 (These PBL springs can cause the drops to machine gun because of the tension)

Book Stacking Captive Ball Sticking
- Metal rail on the left side needs bent slightly outward from the base. Gauge of the rail needs to be thicker to reduce fatigue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/2#post-3122317

Ball Hoping Over Guide Rails
- Try adjusting the pitch of the game. If it is still an issue there is always this giant thing http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4255

Ball times are short
- Play better

#2 8 years ago

So far I have seen two issues.

Left Flipper high power will cut out and only the hold power will be present. Checked all connections an everything is okay. Could be a coding issue.

Slimmer does not always register. There is a specific test for slimmer but its only a motor test. Nothing registers in the standard switch test but during a game test hitting slimmer with a baseball bat will activate it.

#6 8 years ago

Here is a breakdown of slimer. It looks like 5 is the actuator plate and 10 is the switch board. I'll disassemble tomorrow to see what the actual adjustment is.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#10 7 years ago

So here is how the mech works. It works like a tilt bob! The braided wire registers as a switch hit when it leaves or touches the actuator plate.

#11 7 years ago

In the end I have fixed the sensitivity issue by moving the braided wire from the side to the middle. See the before and after.

#13 7 years ago

I did test the nudging to make sure that slimmer wasn't registering hits. He is not.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

edit you answered as I way typing.
Middle/ over the connector is the new/correct position?

I have no idea what the spec is supposed to be from stern. Running the cable over that connector worked in this case. The only thing I see that could be bad is vibration from the cable stressing out the connector for the flasher board. The black plastic on top keeps everything snug.

There doesn't seem to be any type of adjustment other that cutting the wire ties and the shrink tubing to adjust the length of the braided cable.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

You had to cut the shrink tubing for the pictures you showed or that was just a suggestion? I don't see any wire ties in your before and afters but I might be missing them
Thanks for the info!

No for what I did not have to cut into the shrink tubing or snip wire ties. That was only some outside thinking if the issue was with the length of the exposed cable. I'm curious to hear if Stern tech support has any suggestions or recommendations.

#35 7 years ago

As far as the wonky left flipper. I swapped node boards 8 and 9 since they are the same models on this game and the issue hasn't come back. Going to get a replacement node board from my distributor.

#66 7 years ago

The flipper issue is going to be addressed with a code update coming out in the next week or so.

#110 7 years ago

Had another issue creep up not a big deal. When shooting the train ramp the ball would not feed correctly to the end of the ramp. Instead it would smack into the corner of the lower ramp and exit via the containment hole. The bracket for the mini-divertor moved causing the stainless steel flap to protrude slightly. Bent the stainless flap back to flush and it resolved the issue.

1 week later
#235 7 years ago

As far as the drop targets they have to be backhanded.

I have noticed that after the code update one of the drop targets will stay up if there is a multiplayer game.

#240 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's defects in the insert itself.. pretty common.. and what CPR buyers have had to learn to accept long long ago.

It is not a defect. It is part of the leveling process where the playfield is sanded flat after the inserts have been installed. The fissures in the insert are more apparent on larger inserts especially if they are clear.

#324 7 years ago

I summarized the issues fixed and issues outstanding on the first post. It's always disappointing to see how these self-help threads get. Also can Captain remove the 20 tagged machines that has nothing to do with this thread? It would be appreciated.

#325 7 years ago

Besides the fixes someone please made a plastic protector set especially for the slings. There is already a massive crack in the left slingshot plastic. This is a location machine so wear and tear is expected. Clear, blue, or purple would look sweet.

IMG_0992_(resized).JPGIMG_0992_(resized).JPG

#328 7 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

stern sells em on their site

Sweet thanks perryd I had no idea!! Ordered!

#331 7 years ago

Sorry CaptainNeo it seems someone signed up as CaptainNeo2 and started adding them. My mistake.

#350 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

There are many people complaining of this problem, and no one from Stern has responded or addressed it yet. I do see Dwight and Jared visit this site and have commented a few times - I think it would be fair and not asking too much to see someone from Stern comment on this matter here on Pinside.

I'm sure the easiest fix is going to be programming the 3X standup as a compensation hit during the slimmer mode.

#391 7 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

I just twisted/bent the scoop a little to force the ball to the right.

The most reliable adjustment to this has been tuning the VUK value down to 20 and letting it bounce off the top of the left sling.

1 week later
#440 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just checked, looks like they updated the Pro manual. It is now reflecting a new design, similar to the Prem/LE model's Slimer mech. Anyone care to see if Stern will replace existing Pro Slimer mechs with this new design? See below screenshot from Pro manual:

I can't wait to see what has changed. From the drawing that was included in the first make-shift manuals it isn't really an exact representation of the ball and cabling.

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

There is a tech bulletin about the switches doing this for previous games I.e Metallica, kiss etc on sterns site and says to tweak the switch. They should definitely address this also in code

The switch has been adjusted and the issue still exists so I'm assuming that this will need to be corrected in the next revision of code.

#522 7 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Just got my GB today and if I'm reading the posts above correctly, it appears that I have the new Slimer.
Put an extra ball in the captive ball track next to the ghost target and I'm about to fire up my first game.

Looks like from the picture you also got a thicker gauge wireform.

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

'm guessing wire replacement should be easier, just unclip and snap ne on on???

Usually with wire forms you have two types. Barbed and non-barbed. With both types you have to take extra caution when removing them as you can damage the playfield. In the case of Ghostbusters if they did increase the gauge then you would have to pry the old one out, pre-drill a slightly larger hole, then pound in the new rail.

#545 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Can't believe people are even suggesting taking a hammer to their brand new pinball machines

Working on pins isn't for the faint of heart.

#573 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

can we get it without the center post? that is just silly.

You don't have to install the center post if you don't want to. The center post thing is really dumb. The people actually installing a center post in their game is ever dumber. Sometimes pinball is hard.

#592 7 years ago
Quoted from JEFFPINS12:

Sorry we are all not as talented and as good at pinball as you

Hilarious!

#595 7 years ago

This happened at first but had resolved itself after about the first hundred games. I learned how to short plunge and start a mode fast because of it! Haha

#625 7 years ago
Quoted from imharrow:

See post 63 (I think). Apparently replace with red spring fixes launch issues.

Added this fix to the list.

#626 7 years ago

Stern posted the 1.05 software for the LE's the other day. The LE's are coming!!!!!

#642 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

My plunger already has a red spring though if that is what is being discussed. And even if I replaced it the auto plunge doesn't use the spring so it would still happen on ball saves and at the beginning of multiball. I need a real fix with whatever is being collided with.
Also after about 50 games my Book Stacking ball guide is bent badly and the ball is stuck. Has the extra ball fix been working for people?

People are replacing the red/orange spring with a green one. The ball seems to be hitting the bottom of stay puft then doesn't make it around the orbit.

#660 7 years ago

Every pinball manufacturer has their issues some maybe more than others. BLY/WMS games had issues too just most people on Pinside weren't in the hobby or didn't own machines then. Just from 91 to 99 there were 31 officially documented service bulletins from BLY/WMS. I remember games would be un-boxed and they wouldn't even turn on!

#662 7 years ago

An update for people experiencing the issue with the drop targets for the Scoleri brothers. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4251

#665 7 years ago
Quoted from TxJay:

I believe you are a little off on your comparisons. B/W didn't charge 10K for a pinball machine even if you factor in inflation rates. Stern's quality has not improved ( if not gotten worse)?

I think your comparison is off because I'm not sure what 10K Stern pins you are referring too.

1 week later
#686 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Just received my fresh new Node board right from Stern yesterday. And when I saw "fresh" I mean node board complete with jumper wire and hot glued on resistor

JJP does the same thing. I'm not surprised.

#687 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Drop targets are tricky. If you put a stronger spring on then you risk the target not being able to stay up when reset. The drop mech will wear and get easier to drop over time and the stronger spring will cause the drop to machine gun in reset often.

Although I agree with this I will say that Stern identified this with TWD. The spring used on the woodburry drop target which is a blue spring is stronger than the red springs they use on all the other drop targets. The GB manual doesn't have the drop target assembly included so I can't cross reference the part to see if they are the same.

3 weeks later
#737 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The diverter rarely works on the one we play on location. Some have suggested it is an issue with the top switch of 3 on the left ramp.

Try moving the diverter flap with your hand so that the bracket is closer to the coil. Then move the ball up the ramp and see if the diverter moves.

#738 7 years ago

I installed the PBL upgraded springs on the Scoleri brothers targets and they drop 100% of the time now. We shall be how long the drop or the drop lip holds up with the increased spring strength.

#739 7 years ago

Whatever you do don't install the upgraded springs from PBL on the Scoleri targets. Drops are machine gunning because the spring tension is to much.

#743 7 years ago

So the original springs that are installed on the targets are the stronger blue springs. This is the same spring installed on the woodburry drop target in TWD. I have tried moving up a couple windings but there wasn't a change. I did stretch the PBL springs a little because I felt the tension would break the hook on the drop target. They are pretty powerful. Well about 60 games later there is an issue with the targets machine gunning. At this point people can live with just backhanding the targets.

#746 7 years ago

Number 1 - issue has been noted before. This is evident in gameplay when hitting the left scoop and it doesn't always award you the shot but it will kick the ball out. This has to be a coding thinh.
Number 2 - adjust the kickout power down to 20 to kick to top left sling

1 week later
#789 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

know prob from the begining, easy solution is : change spring with some more powerfull

Don't do it you will end up with target latching issues. Just backhand the shots.

#792 7 years ago

GB has been on route since day 1 and the Scoleri targets still don't drop unless you backhand them. Good advise otherwise.

#822 7 years ago

Are you using standard flipper rubber? Because GB is definitely to fast for silicone or urethane. The game should slow down a little as it gets played but its still quick as hell. If you didn't already buy them get the sling protectors on ASAP.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

15,699 (OBO)
17,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Temecula, CA
17,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 39.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider exflexer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread?tu=exflexer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.