By exflexer

1 year ago

Stats

• 3,660 posts
  • 442 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Spelunk71
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 578 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20171205_075840 (resized).jpg
IMG_2744 (resized).jpg
slimer optos (resized).png
gb-slimer opto-wheel (resized).png
slimer mech2 (resized).jpg
76955886-C51B-4551-A21A-392CB94D31E1 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20171110_205619 (resized).jpg
slimertestfailed (resized).jpg
19249931_10159661305845061_1793762682_o (resized).jpg
slimer mech2 (resized).jpg
IMG_3165 (resized).jpg
IMG_3160 (resized).jpg
IMG_3162 (resized).jpg
IMG_4264 (resized).JPG
IMG_4263 (resized).JPG
IMG_3956 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 3660 posts in topic. You are on page 5 of 74.
#201 1 year ago

My other observation is that it seems much easier to collect ghosts now, and the multipliers seem to be more plentiful. Also, better jackpots that dont seem like cheap points.

#202 1 year ago

Man the design of the slimy mech is pure CRAP! I did the suggested fix to move the wire to the center and zip tie, but after about 4 days of location use the slimey figure starting twisting out of alignment and it was going off even when hitting the flippers.

So now I'm back to the crappy way Stern sent it out. It's just unacceptable they can't QC their designs better.

#203 1 year ago

This is starting to worry me. It was dead straight when I got the game. I wonder if there is enough room to install a few posts instead and just have rubber stretch between the two? Not sure if the newton shot would still work...

IMG_1263_(resized).jpg

#204 1 year ago

Stern said to bend back at the base. But I said it's just going to re-occur and needs a better fix IMO ?

#205 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Stern said to bend back at the base. But I said it's just going to re-occur and needs a better fix IMO ?

It did, and it does. Mine was bent as well. Straightened it, and within 10 games it was bent back in again. Mine also has a weak right flipper that progressively gets weaker as I play. I'll have to call Stern on Monday for that.

#206 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Hopefully they put in a thicker gauge wire form for later runs. Would be an easy enough mod for someone to come up with.

#207 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Hopefully they put in a thicker gauge wire form for later runs. Would be an easy enough mod for someone to come up with.

yea but the playfield will have to be drilled to handle the thicker gauge wire. It should be the size they use for the outlanes.

#208 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yea but the playfield will have to be drilled to handle the thicker gauge wire. It should be the size they use for the outlanes.

That's true. This is something a neophyte to pinball (sorry Neo ) at home is not going to want to do. Hopefully Stern swaps in thicker wire forms pronto. Otherwise this could be an issue for every machine sold. Actually how could it NOT be an issue on every game? Don't all three variations use the same gauge wire?

#209 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

This is starting to worry me. It was dead straight when I got the game. I wonder if there is enough room to install a few posts instead and just have rubber stretch between the two? Not sure if the newton shot would still work...

Does anyone else think it strange they didn't put a plastic over that capative ball area on top of the black metal? Just seems unusual to me to leave it looking like that.

I have tweaked mine a bit to get it play better, remaining problems below;

Drop targets, - I have played around with the spring tension but they still may as well be posts when hit hard and squarely. Has anyone fixed theirs?

Slimer - seems to have become much less sensitive since code update, only a good straight shot registering.

Check your shooter lanes, mine and at least one other that I know of has already chipped clear coat where the ball pops into the shooter lane, probably not fully hardened.

#210 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Check your shooter lanes, mine and at least one other that I know of has already chipped clear coat where the ball pops into the shooter lane, probably not fully hardened.

Put Mylar over the shooter lane and in the center drain hole. No more chipping.

#211 1 year ago

I am sure Cliff will make a shooter set soon. Anyone message him yet?

#212 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

That sure is a very weird design choice by Stern.
That guide is positioned to take hits like e.g. the ball deflector/guide to the right side in front of the mode start hole on STTNG. It will take SERIOUS hits especially as players will use it as a bank to make indirect shots to the ghost target to reduce STDMs. Outlane guide thickness is the least they need to install there end even that will be critical over time.

#213 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

This is starting to worry me.

I can't believe they let games ship with this. Every day I've had to bend it back, and my game has been on location since Tuesday afternoon. Probably a matter of time before it breaks due to work hardening from the bending. That wire had to get the hell bent out of it during play testing in-house let alone on test games on location. Ridiculous that they wouldn't have beefed it up before shipping. Looks like I may be making a trip to the hardware store for some beefier wire to retrofit in as a solution.

#214 1 year ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I can't believe they let games ship with this. Every day I've had to bend it back, and my game has been on location since Tuesday afternoon. Probably a matter of time before it breaks due to work hardening from the bending. That wire had to get the hell bent out of it during play testing in-house let alone on test games on location. Ridiculous that they wouldn't have beefed it up before shipping. Looks like I may be making a trip to the hardware store for some beefier wire to retrofit in as a solution.

Why bend it back? Wouldn't it eventually just get to a point and stop bending?

#215 1 year ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Why bend it back?

Because it traps the captive ball, the stand up target never registers, and the drop targets then never come up.

#216 1 year ago

Stern better not ship LE's with this problem - seeing as how it's obviously a design flaw and they read the forums. They need to address this quick as this is a pretty big factory defect.

#217 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

Stern better not ship LE's with this problem - seeing as how it's obviously a design flaw and they read the forums. They need to address this quick as this is a pretty big factory defect.

Just so we're clear one one thing: pre-ordering an LE is basically begging to have a new game show up that's likely to have some issues.
If you're not cool with that (and many aren't, so don't take that as a dig), I would suggest you sell your LE spot, and wait for a Premium.

I'm posting this now so that in a month, when you get your LE, and you're posting all sorts of nonsense, I can say I told you so.

See you in a month!

#218 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

I agree,

This "fix" should be installed on all machines....immediately.

#219 1 year ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Because it traps the captive ball, the stand up target never registers, and the drop targets then never come up.

Thanks, i looked closer and see that can be an issue. We get ours this week and are having a launch party on May 14th and ive been keeping an eye on this thread.

#220 1 year ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

It did, and it does. Mine was bent as well. Straightened it, and within 10 games it was bent back in again. Mine also has a weak right flipper that progressively gets weaker as I play. I'll have to call Stern on Monday for that.

If your right flipper gets weaker as you play, there's a good chance it's your EOS switch on the right flipper coil not working correctly. Look at how both flippers work, it sounds like the EOS switch activator isn't making contact correctly.

#221 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Just so we're clear one one thing: pre-ordering an LE is basically begging to have a new game show up that's likely to have some issues.
If you're not cool with that (and many aren't, so don't take that as a dig), I would suggest you sell your LE spot, and wait for a Premium.
I'm posting this now so that in a month, when you get your LE, and you're posting all sorts of nonsense, I can say I told you so.
See you in a month!

Really, is that how you make excuses on Stern's behalf, by blaming me- the customer who's spending $8,000? Man, GTFO here with your crap

#222 1 year ago
Quoted from stangbat:

What if for a location "hack" you put a second captive ball in there. One will get stuck at the top one at the bottom but there should be enough space for them to still hit and hit the target. Just until stern hopefully fixes this issue. Games definitely shouldn't have been shipped like this.

test_(resized).jpg

#223 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What if for a location "hack" you put a second captive ball it there. One will get stuck at the top one at the bottom but there should be enough space for them to still hit and hit the target. Just untill stern hopefully fixes this issue. Games deffinatly shouldnt have been shipped like this.

That's actually not a bad idea right there. I understand games shipped will have issues you need to tweak or adjust out of the box, but this is not a simple fix and clearly falls in the "design fail" category and one must wonder how this passed Stern's internal testing.

#224 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

Really, is that how you make excuses on Stern's behalf, by blaming me- the customer who's spending $8,000? Man, GTFO here with your crap

There's no excuses being made. I don't think Stern should release new pins with any issues at all.
I'd also like to expect that they would send a technician to my house to fix any little thing that's not perfect, after I pay the cost on any new pin.
However... that's not the case. Nor is complete code at time of release.
So those people who complain about things that they knew they were likely to get into are more than just a little ignorant.

If issues like this are likely to bother you, you're much better off selling your LE spot at a profit right now, and waiting for a Premium.
That's all.

#225 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

If your right flipper gets weaker as you play, there's a good chance it's your EOS switch on the right flipper coil not working correctly. Look at how both flippers work, it sounds like the EOS switch activator isn't making contact correctly.

EOS switch was checked & adjusted days ago. I'm more inclined to think it's a faulty node board.

#226 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

There's no excuses being made. I don't think Stern should release new pins with any issues at all.
I'd also like to expect that they would send a technician to my house to fix any little thing that's not perfect, after I pay the cost on any new pin.
However... that's not the case. Nor is complete code at time of release.
So those people who complain about things that they knew they were likely to get into are more than just a little ignorant.
If issues like this are likely to bother you, you're much better off selling your LE spot at a profit right now, and waiting for a Premium.
That's all.

I get there will be problems NIB, already had that experience with my MET. But I was able to successfully fix it after they sent parts and got it up and running.

This wire form bending issue is clearly not a simple fix - it needs a larger gauge wire form, which requires drilling the playfield- or even a 3-leg wire form which requires drilling the playfield.

This issue has nothing to do with standard NIB issues, this is a design flaw, plain and simple.

#227 1 year ago

I think it's apparent that Stern didn't put much testing on GB. Something this obvious would have been spotted.

This will NOT be a simple fix down the road.

#228 1 year ago
Quoted from DerekParsons:
At least they are shipping pins within months of reveal. Anyone else doing that?

Months? Friggen Alien pin over a year now. If I hear about Licensing restrictions one more time...

#229 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

What's up with those "arrow" inserts? Do they have plastic shavings or dust on the under side, or is that something permanent that makes it past insert inspection?

image.jpeg

#230 1 year ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Looks like I may be making a trip to the hardware store for some beefier wire to retrofit in as a solution.

Would a smaller ball bearing work instead? Just spit ballin' ideas.

Mine went on location Friday night. I go to collect in 20 minutes, so will have a peak at it.

#231 1 year ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

That's all.

Waiting for a Premium isn't the answer. GoT Premiums had the same issues as the LE models...

#232 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Waiting for a Premium isn't the answer. GoT Premiums had the same issues as the LE models...

No arguing there, but ACDC Premiums didn't have cloudy windows, and I've found that the Bicycle Girl Ramp on my TWD is more stable than the one I had on my TWDLE.

In general, I'd say it's definitely safer to give Stern more time to get some of the bugs worked out when they're building games.
Anyone buying a Metallica now shouldn't have the same issues that original owners had either, as they've improved the Hammer board.
Sure, there may still be some issues, but a much lower rate.

#233 1 year ago

Mine also has a weak right flipper that progressively gets weaker as I play.

You might try swapping left and right flipper button leaf blade switches, just to be sure one doesn't have a weak connection with the contacts on the end.

LTG : )

#234 1 year ago

A heavier wire from can be made and milled thinner where it goes into wood.

#235 1 year ago

As far as the drop targets they have to be backhanded.

I have noticed that after the code update one of the drop targets will stay up if there is a multiplayer game.

#236 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

This issue has nothing to do with standard NIB issues, this is a design flaw, plain and simple.

Even if you call it that... its not uncommon to have games ship with designs that do not stand the test of time or living in the wild. Its why we've had 'service bulletins' forever, and modifications that ship after games, etc. You and this 'our games better be flawless.. it's $8k!!' need to pay attention a bit more to the industry that this is.. an industry that built games for operators.. people who could service their own stuff and distributors, who were expected to be service agents to those operators. If an engineering or production problem comes up.. they issue service bulletins and make parts available. End of drama

Want a simple example kind of like this one? The post next to the ring ramp on LOTR. Or how about the arwyen plastic on LOTR? Or the ramp entrance on StarTreks.. or the Sparky Coil issue on MET.. or The spinner disk issues with KISS..

The best example lately is the crappy transistors they switched to causing games to blow flipper transistors just from holding the flipper too long. A critical failure that would take games down on route entirely and required board work to get back online.

This is part of buying games. If you aren't comfortable with it.. buy later runs.

#237 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I think it's apparent that Stern didn't put much testing on GB. Something this obvious would have been spotted.
This will NOT be a simple fix down the road.

Even if the fix is install a thicker wire.. it's an easy fix. Expand hole with larger drill bit.. insert new guide. Or if a new solid ball guide is used, as long as they use the existing mount points... it's easy to make holes larger.

#238 1 year ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

What's up with those "arrow" inserts? Do they have plastic shavings or dust on the under side, or is that something permanent that makes it past insert inspection?

It's defects in the insert itself.. pretty common.. and what CPR buyers have had to learn to accept long long ago.

#239 1 year ago

I understand now.

Insert Crackle - The process they are using to make the plastic insert puts VOIDS in it. Later when sanded, it shows up.

#240 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's defects in the insert itself.. pretty common.. and what CPR buyers have had to learn to accept long long ago.

It is not a defect. It is part of the leveling process where the playfield is sanded flat after the inserts have been installed. The fissures in the insert are more apparent on larger inserts especially if they are clear.

#241 1 year ago
Quoted from stangbat:

We will need to bitch to stern so they can come up with a retrofit. Great to talk about it here, but the more people complain the better chance of us early adopters getting a half decent fix. I've already sent a mail about all the rediculous QC issues.

#242 1 year ago
Quoted from exflexer:

It is not a defect. It is part of the leveling process where the playfield is sanded flat after the inserts have been installed. The fissures in the insert are more apparent on larger inserts especially if they are clear.

Fissures in the plastic that are EXPOSED by the sanding. The sanding doesn't create the cracks/fissures/etc, simply expose them and of course the sanding is necessary for insert leveling. Its all a by product of the inserts themselves.. not the sanding.

#243 1 year ago

I don't have my LE being made yet
But will send Stern a email about these concerns also

They need to stop production and fix the problem first

#244 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

It just occurred to me that Stern will "fix" this problem by updating the software so that if it causes a service alert from not having switch activations, it will compensate by using the left side captive balls to trigger those modes.

#245 1 year ago

LE's always get the design shafts. Problems are figured out, and corrected on premiums. You see. LE's are sold and you guys line up for them before they are even made. What incentive do they have to worry about fixing anything? That's already money in the bank. It's the premiums that will sell and keep on selling. Those are the ones that need to have attention paid to them, so they can keep selling them, release after release. But don't worry. LE buyers have that nifty plaque.

#246 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

You might try swapping left and right flipper button leaf blade switches, just to be sure one doesn't have a weak connection with the contacts on the end.

Actually, what I did was take an alligator clip and direct short the right EOS switch. Played a few games and everything worked fine. Pulled the alligator clip off, immediately lost full power intermittently to right flipper. Even though EOS contacts appeared good, and they were making good contact, and it was FACTORY BRAND NEW, ultimately something about the right EOS switch was defective. Installed a new one on the game this afternoon and problem was resolved.

#247 1 year ago

Even though EOS contacts appeared good, and they were making good contact,

I'm sure they were. But the rivet at the end of the blade wasn't making good contact with the blade it was fastened to. One side, or the other. Or both.

#248 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

LE's always get the design shafts. Problems are figured out, and corrected on premiums. You see. LE's are sold and you guys line up for them before they are even made. What incentive do they have to worry about fixing anything? That's already money in the bank. It's the premiums that will sell and keep on selling. Those are the ones that need to have attention paid to them, so they can keep selling them, release after release. But don't worry. LE buyers have that nifty plaque.

Although I see your point and am not disagreeing with you, that's pathetic though.

#249 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

Although I see your point and am not disagreeing with you, that's pathetic though.

yes it sucks. Pinball is just one of those hobbies where you do NOT want the first ones. I always want as close to the last one made of any game. Those usually have all the fixes worked out.

#250 1 year ago

Anyone encountered a bug where the game asked you to enter initials for Terror Dog several games on a row, showing scores way higher than your overall score?

Pro on location today claimed I got 88 million for Terror Dog, my score was around thirty million and I hadn't even started Terror Dog that game.
Similar behavior during several games today.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Plastics
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Machine - For Sale
Naperville, IL
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 3660 posts in topic. You are on page 5 of 74.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside