main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (7 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (7 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (7 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 91.
#1 7 years ago

Summary

FIXES

Slimmer Registration Fix (1st Gen Mech)
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread#post-3117783

Flippers go into a low hold state.
-Make sure to check the EOS for proper gap.
-EOS switch logic updated 1.04.

Left up kicker is kicking the balls straight down the middle.
- Decreasing power setting to 20 will kick the ball to the top of the left sling.

Subway ramp the ball doesn't feed cleanly to the right return lane.
-Small stainless steel diverter flap is pertruding slightly causing the ball to skip. Adjust the flap by bending it slightly.

Full plunge causes the ball to not to feed cleanly
- Replace the orange spring with a green one. Double check the shooter rod alignment.

Drop Targets
- Backhand as direct shots will result with the target not dropping. If you can't live with it replace the springs with these http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4251 (These PBL springs can cause the drops to machine gun because of the tension)

Book Stacking Captive Ball Sticking
- Metal rail on the left side needs bent slightly outward from the base. Gauge of the rail needs to be thicker to reduce fatigue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/2#post-3122317

Ball Hoping Over Guide Rails
- Try adjusting the pitch of the game. If it is still an issue there is always this giant thing http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4255

Ball times are short
- Play better

#2 7 years ago

So far I have seen two issues.

Left Flipper high power will cut out and only the hold power will be present. Checked all connections an everything is okay. Could be a coding issue.

Slimmer does not always register. There is a specific test for slimmer but its only a motor test. Nothing registers in the standard switch test but during a game test hitting slimmer with a baseball bat will activate it.

#3 7 years ago

These exact issues have been already brought up on the pros! Unbelievable!!

#4 7 years ago

Following

#5 7 years ago

On One of the review threads, is a 10 minute adjustment for slimer.
Factory installed gap needs adjusting.
I would imagine, as they learn this at the factory, they will adjust.

No help on the flipper, although others have mentioned power issues, and leaned toward EOS Switch.

Im sure plenty of answers will come.

No they shouldnt be there, Yes, perfection is what is always wanted.
Stuff happens.

#6 7 years ago

Here is a breakdown of slimer. It looks like 5 is the actuator plate and 10 is the switch board. I'll disassemble tomorrow to see what the actual adjustment is.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 7 years ago

The biggest issue I have is that I don't have my LE yet.

#8 7 years ago

There was a post in the review thread about fixing Slimer: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-my-half-ass-review/page/4#post-3112941

Might make sense to you I can't visualize what is being tie wrapped based on the breakdown but please post pictures if you make the same fix!

#9 7 years ago

When hitting the drop targets on mine at least 50% of the time the ball will just bounce off the target and it will stay up. Sometimes this happens 4/5 times in a row. Would love to hear any idears on how to fix this.

#10 7 years ago

So here is how the mech works. It works like a tilt bob! The braided wire registers as a switch hit when it leaves or touches the actuator plate.

#11 7 years ago

In the end I have fixed the sensitivity issue by moving the braided wire from the side to the middle. See the before and after.

#12 7 years ago

edit you answered as I way typing.

Middle/ over the connector is the new/correct position?

#13 7 years ago

I did test the nudging to make sure that slimmer wasn't registering hits. He is not.

#14 7 years ago

Great and Easy Fix!

Send to Stern, or Jared!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I did test the nudging to make sure that slimmer wasn't registering hits. He is not.

Thanks will try today!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

edit you answered as I way typing.
Middle/ over the connector is the new/correct position?

I have no idea what the spec is supposed to be from stern. Running the cable over that connector worked in this case. The only thing I see that could be bad is vibration from the cable stressing out the connector for the flasher board. The black plastic on top keeps everything snug.

There doesn't seem to be any type of adjustment other that cutting the wire ties and the shrink tubing to adjust the length of the braided cable.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

I have no idea what the spec is supposed to be from stern. Running the cable over that connector worked in this case. The only thing I see that could be bad is vibration from the cable stressing out the connector for the flasher board. The black plastic on top keeps everything snug.
There doesn't seem to be any type of adjustment other that cutting the wire ties and the shrink tubing to adjust the length of the braided cable.

You had to cut the shrink tubing for the pictures you showed or that was just a suggestion? I don't see any wire ties in your before and afters but I might be missing them

Thanks for the info!

#18 7 years ago

Stern has been building pinball machines for what, 30 years? And problems as simple as this are still being shipped like this from the factory? Unbelievable that someone can fix it in a few minutes here on Pinside, but the professional designers, testers, and factory assembly workers don't catch this or fix before it is boxed up.

I find that crazy, and there is no excuse for that.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Stern has been building pinball machines for what, 30 years? And problems as simple as this are still being shipped like this from the factory? Unbelievable that someone can fix it in a few minutes here on Pinside, but the professional designers, testers, and factory assembly workers don't catch this or fix before it is boxed up.

How do you know his wire didn't shift during shipping or after a bunch of games? It's not a big deal / fix. If you find this crazy, I'd love to hear your opinions on politics!

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from DerekParsons:

How do you know his wire didn't shift during shipping or after a bunch of games? It's not a big deal / fix. If you find this crazy, I'd love to hear your opinions on politics!

If you haven't noticed, many people have complained of this problem- in fact, almost everyone who has received GB has complained about Slimer not registering all the time and also drop targets not dropping.

As for politics, how is that relevant to a pinball machine and its quality control? Shall we talk religion while we're at it too? How about sports too, why not

#21 7 years ago

Manufacturing is just that manufacturing. You are going to have problems. Heck look at how many recalls car companies have and they produce many times that of Stern pinballs.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If you haven't noticed, many people have complained of this problem- in fact, almost everyone who has received GB has complained about Slimer not registering all the time and also drop targets not dropping.
As for politics, how is that relevant to a pinball machine and its quality control? Shall we talk religion while we're at it too? How about sports too, why not

And how long has Stern been making GB? A week, maybe 2? Now they know about this issue and for the next 3-5 years they make the pin, it will be corrected. To expect them to catch EVERYTHING out of the gate, now that's crazy. Settle down my friend. It's a good thing we brought it to their attention. No need to slam them. At least they are shipping pins within months of reveal. Anyone else doing that?

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I agree. They should stop making these Pros IMMEDIATELY.

And start manufacturing the LEs.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I agree. They should stop making these Pros IMMEDIATELY.
And start manufacturing the LEs.

Now that I agree with !!

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from DerekParsons:

And how long has Stern been making GB? A week, maybe 2? Now they know about this issue and for the next 3-5 years they make the pin, it will be corrected. To expect them to catch EVERYTHING out of the gate, now that's crazy. Settle down my friend. It's a good thing we brought it to their attention. No need to slam them. At least they are shipping pins within months of reveal. Anyone else doing that?

Yeah.. definitely Kaneda.

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Would love to hear any idears on how to fix this.

Time is on your side. They will respond better as they get worn in. Metallica drops were the same. For now, I just make sure to graze them with shots instead of direct hits.

If you are impatient, you could remove/add washers to adjust the angle of the drop.

#27 7 years ago

maybe future runs will be able to rotate that connector to give more clearance.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I wouldn't blame the workers on the shop floor. Most are likely minimum wage temps who've had an absolute bare minimum of training. It isn't their fault. Management and people higher up the payroll absolutely are to blame, and the incorrect wiring position is really shitty.

#29 7 years ago

I have put a bunch of games on a local pro and the only issue with it was the typical Stern drop target issue. I had to hit them twice to drop them almost every time. Should be a easy fix to where you just shorten the spring.

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If you're looking for perfection you may want to rethink this hobby.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

You had to cut the shrink tubing for the pictures you showed or that was just a suggestion? I don't see any wire ties in your before and afters but I might be missing them
Thanks for the info!

No for what I did not have to cut into the shrink tubing or snip wire ties. That was only some outside thinking if the issue was with the length of the exposed cable. I'm curious to hear if Stern tech support has any suggestions or recommendations.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Yeah.. definitely Kaneda.

Did the underoos give him away

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Did the underoos give him away

Hahah i have no idea. I'm certainly not checking some dudes underoos.

#34 7 years ago

I also ran that wire above the connector for slimey and it works great. I used a zip tie to make it stay put. Easy fix.

#35 7 years ago

As far as the wonky left flipper. I swapped node boards 8 and 9 since they are the same models on this game and the issue hasn't come back. Going to get a replacement node board from my distributor.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

When hitting the drop targets on mine at least 50% of the time the ball will just bounce off the target and it will stay up. Sometimes this happens 4/5 times in a row. Would love to hear any idears on how to fix this.

I assume the drop targets are the same as past drop targets in other games. The one in my ST did the same thing - hard hits rarely registered. Found out it was a common Stern issue and came across this MET thread with the same issue. Only a spring adjustment and super easy to do. Best part is that it costs nothing. My target has since been working almost perfect for many, many plays.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unplayable-drop-targets-metallica-pro-anyone-have-a-fix

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

As far as the wonky left flipper. I swapped node boards 8 and 9 since they are the same models on this game and the issue hasn't come back. Going to get a replacement node board from my distributor.

Wonky flippers on this game (with version 1.0 software) are due to the way the software was written to handle when the end of stroke switch is 'open'. Ideally, the stroke switch should be closed when at rest. However once in a while, it doesn't close quite right after a flip. So for the next flip the switch is already open. Every game before this one, the software could properly compensate for this inaccuracy, and likely you would never know if the switch is registering correctly or not. This game is different. The software does not properly compensate for the incorrect reading of the switch. You can simulate this manually. in switch test mode, you can lightly seperate the switch open and press the flipper button. You will get the very weak flip. I tried this on game of thrones. It does not behave this way. I reported my findings to Chaz at Stern, and I'm guessing it will be addressed in a software update now that they themselves can replicate the problem. In the mean time because I am dealing with a game on location, I soldered a jumper wire to keep the switch closed. I need the game to work and customers are getting weary. If it was in home use, maybe you have a jumper wire with aligator clips that you could use until the software is indeed update to properly handle this issue. Or you could try adjusting them. I'm sure it would be difficult though just because of the nature of how these switches operate. I wish they were normally open. Hope this helps folks out with their new GB. Was super annoying to say the least.

-Jeff

#38 7 years ago

If you tilt while holding flippers up, they stay locked on until the ball kicks out. If you tilt on ball three with the flippers up, they stay locked on through the following attract mode. If you hold a flipper up when a ball drains, it stays locked on until next ball is kicked out. All of this seems to be going on when GI is off in between balls, during tilt, or at the end of game.

#39 7 years ago

These flipper issues are a complete joke. Amazing stern did not figure out this crap during testing.

I assume that when you jumper the eos you are just letting the software cut the high power?

I did a similar thing with KISS, and just bent the eos switches out of the way when I had issues, then everything was fine.

#40 7 years ago

Very happy to hear about the dead flip le show on the 5th of May

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Very happy to hear about the dead flip le show on the 5th of May

I can't find anything about that on Dead Flip's Twitter, Facebook, twitch, etc- where did this info come from? It doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

#42 7 years ago

It's supposed to be the 4th

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

It's supposed to be the 4th

Any links to that announcement by Dead Flip?

#44 7 years ago

Our local one after an end of ball drain, it will immediately fire your next ball and not give you a skill shot opportunity. Not sure if anyone else has seen that. It did it twice on me in about 6-7 games.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from D_Graunch:

If you tilt while holding flippers up, they stay locked on until the ball kicks out. If you tilt on ball three with the flippers up, they stay locked on through the following attract mode. If you hold a flipper up when a ball drains, it stays locked on until next ball is kicked out. All of this seems to be going on when GI is off in between balls, during tilt, or at the end of game.

Great details. I noticed some of this behavior as well.

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Any links to that announcement by Dead Flip?

Is was suppose to be on there last twitch broadcast not sure where they archive those

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Is was suppose to be on there last twitch broadcast not sure where they archive those

Here's the latest one, just skimmed through it, and no GB LE streaming mentioned: https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip/v/63392130

EDIT: around the 14:00 mark he does mention next wednesday it will stream

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

Manufacturing is just that manufacturing. You are going to have problems. Heck look at how many recalls car companies have and they produce many times that of Stern pinballs.

Depends on the car manufacturer. Most car manufacturers follow the six sigma process for individual parts, which is usually around a 5.99 (meaning maybe one out of a million parts come in non-compliant). If drawings are toleranced appropriately, and parts come in pre-inspected (IE meets print), and the designer does proper stackup, and parts are designed so it can't be assembled wrong (poka-yoke), there should almost never be an issue.

I don't know it's fair to compare the two anyway. It's much easier to put in flaw prevention when you're building a million cars a year, it's a little harder when you're making 5,000 pinballs before the next model is introduced to the production floor.

#49 7 years ago

Love the Lean Sigma references!

#50 7 years ago

Subscribed!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.