Topic Stats

• 4,193 posts
  • 493 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 hours ago by Rydhia
  • Topic is favorited by 140 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 634 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0132 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20181006-072857_Chrome (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20181006-072844_Chrome (resized).jpg
GB Switch Test (resized).jpg
IMG_20180304_174524 (resized).jpg
Print (resized).jpg
cale scolari (resized).jpg
drop target alt (resized).jpg
IMG_1703 (resized).JPG
20180804_165622 (resized).jpg
20180804_165426 (resized).jpg
13AB20DE-3A78-424E-8E2A-8309F49962DE (resized).jpeg
received_10160723852695603 (resized).jpeg
20180720_213838 (resized).jpg
20180720_213818 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180722_091709 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 4193 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 84.
#3901 8 months ago
Quoted from LowScores:

Ack! It made it two games. Now he isn't registering movement of location again.
Another thing I noticed, is sometimes when I'm in the testing mode...I move into the slimer tests and cant get them to start. It doesn't reagister to do the test with the +, -, enter or even the start button.
I reboot the game and then the test works, but his location fails

I'd try reflowing the solder to the optos, then.

#3902 8 months ago

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in this thread but what do I check if my auto plunge is weak?

It's weak about 80% of the time at various levels of weakness. Started happening about a week ago.

Thanks.

#3903 8 months ago
Quoted from pinden007:

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in this thread but what do I check if my auto plunge is weak?
It's weak about 80% of the time at various levels of weakness. Started happening about a week ago.
Thanks.

Manually check the auto launcher by moving it with your hands and make sure it isn't binding or feels like it's dragging in the coil sleeve.

Check the ohms (resistance) of the auto launch coil to see if the coil is weakening. There's a chart online with "normal" resistance ranges for most kinds of coils.

Slo-mo film an auto launch with your iphone and see if the auto-launcher is hanging up on something OR if the ball is launching unevenly and bouncing off each side of the shooter lane, slowing it down.

#3904 8 months ago

Decided to pull the trigger and purchase the Swinks standup target brackets. Can't watch to try them out !

#3905 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Well we're going to find out, because I just bought two to try ($17.50 each, shipped) on the GB Premium we have on the route. I'll add these, remove the shield and report back.

Hey vireland, did you ever install those angled target brackets? How'd that turn out? Seems like a really nice upgrade over the ugly clear plastic airball protector - curious how these worked out for you...

#3906 8 months ago
Quoted from andre060:

Hey vireland, did you ever install those angled target brackets? How'd that turn out? Seems like a really nice upgrade over the ugly clear plastic airball protector - curious how these worked out for you...

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I completely forgot to follow up. Yes, it stopped all the huge ball jumpbacks (like ones that would go over the flippers, etc) and the ball is nowhere near as wild hitting the targets. I removed the protector and it's working fine.

The only real negative (which is not related to the targets) is that protector kept the ball down longer as it started up the ramp, so without it, you sometimes get rocket-launched balls that go off the ramp and into the area behind Gozer. That ramp really needs a clear half-funnel on it to keep the ball on the ramp.

They're expensive, but they do work for the most part. A substantial improvement, and as such, I expect Stern will rip it off soon enough.

#3907 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yes, it stopped all the huge ball jumpbacks (like ones that would go over the flippers, etc) and the ball is nowhere near as wild hitting the targets. I removed the protector and it's working fine.
The only real negative (which is not related to the targets) is that protector kept the ball down longer as it started up the ramp, so without it, you sometimes get rocket-launched balls that go off the ramp and into the area behind Gozer. That ramp really needs a clear half-funnel on it to keep the ball on the ramp.

Great feedback, thanks!

Quoted from vireland:

A substantial improvement, and as such, I expect Stern will rip it off soon enough.

I would expect Stern to improve their brackets yes. Would you prefer their didn't and left the air-ball prone ones on?

#3908 8 months ago
Quoted from andre060:

Great feedback, thanks!

I would expect Stern to improve their brackets yes. Would you prefer their didn't and left the air-ball prone ones on?

If they take a good idea to improve their game that a pinhead/fan designs, I would prefer some kind of financial consideration at the very least to the lay person that bested their paid engineers and took the time and effort to improve their games instead of just ripping it off.

#3909 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Oh, yeah. Sorry, I completely forgot to follow up. Yes, it stopped all the huge ball jumpbacks (like ones that would go over the flippers, etc) and the ball is nowhere near as wild hitting the targets. I removed the protector and it's working fine.
They're expensive, but they do work for the most part. A substantial improvement, and as such, I expect Stern will rip it off soon enough.

That's great to hear. Personally I've been planning on covering the entire ramp with a piece of plastic that has some sort of graphics on it. That huge, plaine, stainless steel ramp is a bit of an eye sore on an otherwise beautiful game.

#3910 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

thanks heaps for chiming in and giving your honest feedback vireland and am glad that they made an improvement which I was getting worried that no one was reporting back, thanks heaps for the feedback but also what you do on pinside as often see you offer alot of help for people especially the noobs.

as for my theory and results show it is the target design that is the issue, so the ball protectors never sat well with me as they are taming the problem instead of solving the target / air ball problem

as for the price, yeah I am sorry as shapeways makes up a huge part of the cost and it is a little dearer because these are 3d printed in metal

#3911 8 months ago
Quoted from ArcadiusMaximus:

Decided to pull the trigger and purchase the Swinks standup target brackets. Can't watch to try them out !

thanks for the support

#3912 8 months ago

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I didn't see any "fixes". The storage facility multiball lightshow needs to be toned down. When I lose balls in this mode, most just roll down the middle off of a flipper because I didn't even see the ball. Has anybody come up with any ideas that are easily implemented?

#3913 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Manually check the auto launcher by moving it with your hands and make sure it isn't binding or feels like it's dragging in the coil sleeve.
Check the ohms (resistance) of the auto launch coil to see if the coil is weakening. There's a chart online with "normal" resistance ranges for most kinds of coils.
Slo-mo film an auto launch with your iphone and see if the auto-launcher is hanging up on something OR if the ball is launching unevenly and bouncing off each side of the shooter lane, slowing it down.

Everything looks and feels good when I manually check the launcher.
I can physically see the launcher snap slow and weak when it happens

The resistance reading for that coil (23-800) was 3.9.
Does this link suggest I should be getting 4.2? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AE-23-800
Is a 3.9 reading mean it's causing my issue and needs to be replace?
I know nothing about this stuff - today I opened my multimeter package I bought over a year ago. lol

Edit: found this link too (3.6): http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5001-00

Maybe someone could check their reading for me?

Thanks.

#3914 8 months ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I know this has been discussed in other threads, but I didn't see any "fixes". The storage facility multiball lightshow needs to be toned down. When I lose balls in this mode, most just roll down the middle off of a flipper because I didn't even see the ball. Has anybody come up with any ideas that are easily implemented?

I wind up adjusting my stance when I get SFMB so the lights aren't hitting my in the eyes. I crotch down to about the height of 7 year old and play the mode. It's helped tremendously. Silly, but it works.

#3915 8 months ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Does this link suggest I should be getting 4.2? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/AE-23-800

Edit: found this link too (3.6): http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/090-5001-00

I know nothing about this stuff - today I opened my multimeter package I bought over a year ago. lol
Thanks.

#3916 8 months ago
Quoted from pinden007:

Maybe someone could check their reading for me?
Thanks.

The coil chart here suggests 4.2ohm is the usual resistance for that coil:
https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

But 3.9 isn't that far off (less than 10%), and also wouldn't explain why it's intermittent. If the coil were bad/weak, you'd expect it to be consistently so. Does this happen more once it's warmed up (later in a session)?

#3917 8 months ago

Hey all - did a recent 'first pinball machine' repair for a drop target failure that wouldn't 'rise'(Nunzio Scolari)...glad I ordered the part (plastic that supports the lift)pretty proud of myself.

anyway, next on my Todo's is checking the right bucket (I think that's called a bucket?) About 30% of the time the bucket doesn't detect the ball and the system starts a ball check. Eventually it pop's out the ball...Can anyone point me in the right direction for seeing what may be the issue?

Any info appreciated - thx

#3918 8 months ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Hey all - did a recent 'first pinball machine' repair for a drop target failure that wouldn't 'rise'(Nunzio Scolari)...glad I ordered the part (plastic that supports the lift)pretty proud of myself.
anyway, next on my Todo's is checking the right bucket (I think that's called a bucket?) About 30% of the time the bucket doesn't detect the ball and the system starts a ball check. Eventually it pop's out the ball...Can anyone point me in the right direction for seeing what may be the issue?
Any info appreciated - thx

Your switch probably has come loose or fallen down. It's common.

#3919 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Your switch probably has come loose or fallen down. It's common.

Thanks - so any guidance or existing direction on fixing I can reference? I saw some folks mentioning a spring tension issue but not sure if related to this.

#3920 8 months ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Thanks - so any guidance or existing direction on fixing I can reference? I saw some folks mentioning a spring tension issue but not sure if related to this.

Has the Tech menu item on your diag menu flagged the ball lock as a problem yet?

#3921 8 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Has the Tech menu item on your diag menu flagged the ball lock as a problem yet?

I went through the menus and couldn't find anything indicating a problem...The Technician Alert says 'No Technician Alerts' - is there something else I need to check?

#3922 8 months ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

I went through the menus and couldn't find anything indicating a problem...The Technician Alert says 'No Technician Alerts' - is there something else I need to check?

No Technician alerts is what I was looking for.

So that means the problem isn't "that bad" yet. So just lift the playfield and look into the bottom of the "scoop" area on the right. There's a switch there. Check to make sure the switch body is firmly attached, if not, screw it in hand tight.

If that's fine you just need to bend the arm of the switch out a little more so it makes contact sooner and longer when a ball comes in. Put one finger near where the switch joins the body (or bending it up might pop the switch blade off the plastic nubs on the side) and press that tight while gently bending the other end away from the switch body a little more. You won't need much, so only do a little at a time.

Then test it by going into switch test mode and dropping a ball in to see if the switch registers on the screen. If not, repeat the bending a little more.

#3923 8 months ago

I picked up a new in box GB Pro in December 2017 (July 2017 prod run)
The air balls were quite ridiculous as everyone here knows (Why Stern/Trudeau went with the straight angled target bracket is beyond me).
I switched out both left ramp standup targets with this type & the air balls have been pretty much eliminated:

large (resized).jpg

#3924 7 months ago

I think the only advantage of the newer targets is they keep the target straight and the disadvantage of the older ones are they tend to then learn over after multiple hits, but the angle is the key, hence the re-work on the base bracket that I pursued.

#3925 7 months ago
Quoted from conserx:

I picked up a new in box GB Pro in December 2017 (July 2017 prod run)
The air balls were quite ridiculous as everyone here knows (Why Stern/Trudeau went with the straight angled target bracket is beyond me).
I switched out both left ramp standup targets with this type & the air balls have been pretty much eliminated:

did you swap the whole thing?

#3926 7 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

The coil chart here suggests 4.2ohm is the usual resistance for that coil:
https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html
But 3.9 isn't that far off (less than 10%), and also wouldn't explain why it's intermittent. If the coil were bad/weak, you'd expect it to be consistently so. Does this happen more once it's warmed up (later in a session)?

Hasn't happen the last 2 sessions. Maybe it was a fluke.

#3927 7 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

did you swap the whole thing?

I left the actual target switches in place & swapped the rest over (Mounting bracket, Back plate, Screws)
I figured if that style of bracket is used on the ramp entrance targets on games like Metallica & work fine then why not on GB also.
After 400 games they haven't bent.

#3928 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

I think the only advantage of the newer targets is they keep the target straight and the disadvantage of the older ones are they tend to then learn over after multiple hits, but the angle is the key, hence the re-work on the base bracket that I pursued.

Yeah the older style target brackets are prone to drifting & leaning over to one side, The slot on the newer targets prevent that.
Dumbfounded as to why these newer Stern target brackets are set to 90 degrees & not 85.

How can I get a couple of your target brackets Swinks? I'm based in Australia also.

#3929 7 months ago
Quoted from conserx:

Yeah the older style target brackets are prone to drifting & leaning over to one side, The slot on the newer targets prevent that.
Dumbfounded as to why these newer Stern target brackets are set to 90 degrees & not 85.
How can I get a couple of your target brackets Swinks? I'm based in Australia also.

hey conserx check out the link below
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksgb&sort=newest
everything is made at Shapeways and charge $15USD to Aus

#3930 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

hey conserx check out the link below
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinksgb&sort=newest
everything is made at Shapeways and charge $15USD to Aus

Ive got these to install also.

I'm kind of hoping that once these are in I can take of the PET airball deflector as it looks pants.

Neil.

#3931 7 months ago

installing mine this week (one today and one when the other one turns up as I forgot to order two!). Will give feedback.

Neil.

#3932 7 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

No Technician alerts is what I was looking for.
So that means the problem isn't "that bad" yet. So just lift the playfield and look into the bottom of the "scoop" area on the right. There's a switch there. Check to make sure the switch body is firmly attached, if not, screw it in hand tight.
If that's fine you just need to bend the arm of the switch out a little more so it makes contact sooner and longer when a ball comes in. Put one finger near where the switch joins the body (or bending it up might pop the switch blade off the plastic nubs on the side) and press that tight while gently bending the other end away from the switch body a little more. You won't need much, so only do a little at a time.
Then test it by going into switch test mode and dropping a ball in to see if the switch registers on the screen. If not, repeat the bending a little more.

Thanks Vireland...I'm two for two on pinball repair attempts...these instructions were perfect to explain and what to avoid. (i.e. breaking the metal switch)

#3933 7 months ago
Quoted from brandonx76:

Thanks Vireland...I'm two for two on pinball repair attempts...these instructions were perfect to explain and what to avoid. (i.e. breaking the metal switch)

Vireland knows his sh*t!

#3934 7 months ago
Quoted from WolfManCat:

I have had my GB LE for about 2 weeks now. Just guessing but it probably had been played around 100 games. Its been reset since or I would check the counter.
As I posted in the spikes issues thread, my machine came DOA. Stern and I narrowed it down to a bad cpu. Replaced that and all was operational.
A few days ago the ecto goggle had a major malfunction. My wife and I were playing the night before without any problems. Switched it on the next afternoon and noticed the image on the goggle started up blank white. Played a round and actuated the hologram. Instead of your usual projected ghost animation, it just rapidly rotated through every ghost in its memory bank. Received replacement board today, installed and functions normal. Yay!
Also, after a few members mentioned ghosting on their playfields I checked mine and sure enough I can see separation on Tobins, Super Jackpot, and on a couple other lights.
Despite these problems I have nothing bad to say about Sterns customer service. They were patient, very responsive to returning my calls and obliged my request to expidite replacement parts.
Its a bit dissapointing though to buy 1 of 500 machines and have to deal with the kind of problems we are experiencing. It seems to me to be a quality control problem. Possibly these units aren't being tested as vigorously as they should be before being shipped. Just a thought.
Its for sure one of the funnest pinball games I have played in a while.

Its been a while since I made this post and never followed up.

Stern ended up sending me an RMA box for my ghosting playfield and had a brand new one back to me in about a month and a half. Pretty quick turn around at at no cost to me. Stern gets bashed on quite a bit but if you ever have to deal with service they are very responsive and understanding.

#3935 7 months ago

So installed my Swinks brackets the other day. And had plenty of shots ( bricks mostly ) to the stand ups. Not even a hop from the ball ! Trust in Swinks. Put those brackets in and get that ugly piece of plastic out ! Best "mod" you can buy.

#3936 7 months ago

So installed my Swinks brackets the other day. And had plenty of shots ( bricks mostly ) to the stand ups. Not even a hop from the ball ! Trust in Swinks. Put those brackets in and get that ugly piece of plastic out ! Best "mod" you can buy.

Awesome, I appreciate the feedback and glad others are getting the same results

#3937 7 months ago

Did you buy just the brackets or wedges as well?

#3938 7 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Did you buy just the brackets or wedges as well?

would be the bracket as it tilts the target 5 degrees and lifts the target up 2mm which then keeps the ball under the target rivet

#3939 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

would be the bracket as it tilts the target 5 degrees and lifts the target up 2mm which then keeps the ball under the target rivet

Ok thanks!

#3940 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

Correct bought just the brackets.

#3941 7 months ago

me too, they are brilliant - taking that annoying plastic airball protector off makes the game flow so much better.

#3942 7 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

me too, they are brilliant - taking that annoying plastic airball protector off makes the game flow so much better.

great to hear, thanks for the feedback.

#3943 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

great to hear, thanks for the feedback.

thanks for going to the effort of making them.

#3944 7 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Sounds like a good product, may pick a couple up myself. Is the install pretty easy?

#3945 7 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sounds like a good product, may pick a couple up myself. Is the install pretty easy?

yes, just undo a few screws and swap the new bracket for the old and re tighten and you are back to business.

pg 77 post # 3817 has a few photos of the steps.

#3946 7 months ago
Quoted from swinks:

yes, just undo a few screws and swap the new bracket for the old and re tighten and you are back to business.

Nice, thanks for the info. I will be ordering a couple for sure.

#3947 7 months ago

swinks

Would you consider making these brackets for Bally/WMS games? There are some targets on my Demo Man that I still get crazy airballs from even after I installed brand new reinforced target brackets.

#3948 7 months ago
Quoted from gweempose:

swinks
Would you consider making these brackets for Bally/WMS games? There are some targets on my Demo Man that I still get crazy airballs from even after I installed brand new reinforced target brackets.

it is doable but just need to know what ones as currently only have 2 running game GB and CFTBL so don't have much to go to. send me a pm.

#3949 7 months ago

Strange issue came up last night. Game was acting weird (could not get a mode to start even after bashing the ghost target), after the game, I noticed something else odd: The Nunzio Scoleri insert was staying lit all the time.

Powered the game down, powered the game up. Same issue with the Scoleri insert (but could start modes fine playing a game)

Ran through all the lights in test mode, everything looks fine. The Nunzio insert pulses (like the others in test) but just stays on before and after.

Raised the PF and found the LED. + side is brown-blue, I followed that to CN4 on Node 8C. No shorts that I can see, the wire looks solid, nothing loose.

Looks like Node 9 is what controls that lamp (and the ghost target). Wondering if that board is F'd up. Just reached out to stern support so will wait to see what I hear back.

#3950 7 months ago

Has anyone had trouble with slimer not going up or down? Won't work in test either. GB pro.
The little board the slimer motor wires go to has a green led and a red led on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.99
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 34.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Avon, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 11.99
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 69.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 199.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 49.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 93.00
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 4193 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 84.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside