main-qimg-70f0cc5a9d7263efec90c4b221738a5b (resized).jpg
IMG_4729 (resized).jpg
IMG_4732 (resized).JPG
IMG_4731 (resized).JPG
SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 91.
#801 7 years ago

Just played a few games on my GBLE and noticed that my Ecto Goggles didn't seem to be functioning properly. I finished my game, turned it off and re-started it.
When the game turned on, the screen read: 'Updating Node Board Runtime' (underneath it shows the numbers 1 8 9). Next screen says: 'Update Failed'. Please power cycle game. (Not sure what that means). At the same time, my Ecto Goggles flickered during this error message. During gameplay, the ghosts come on intermittently and no longer dissolve.

After all of this happened, I thought I would try a factory reset. Well, that seemed to be a mistake as after the reset, the game became glitchy: the subway ramp no longer locked balls, Slimer became finnicky and the trough didn't seem to be reading balls properly.
Aside from a possible Ecgo Goggles issue, is it possible the software has now been compromised.
This is all so disheartening after a few amazing weeks of owning this game. (I posted this in the other GB thread as well).
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

#802 7 years ago

Update on the plunger issue: green spring did the trick. Thanks guys!

#803 7 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

Just played a few games on my GBLE and noticed that my Ecto Goggles didn't seem to be functioning properly. I finished my game, turned it off and re-started it.
When the game turned on, the screen read: 'Updating Node Board Runtime' (underneath it shows the numbers 1 8 9). Next screen says: 'Update Failed'. Please power cycle game. (Not sure what that means). At the same time, my Ecto Goggles flickered during this error message. During gameplay, the ghosts come on intermittently and no longer dissolve.
After all of this happened, I thought I would try a factory reset. Well, that seemed to be a mistake as after the reset, the game became glitchy: the subway ramp no longer locked balls, Slimer became finnicky and the trough didn't seem to be reading balls properly.
Aside from a possible Ecgo Goggles issue, is it possible the software has now been compromised.
This is all so disheartening after a few amazing weeks of owning this game. (I posted this in the other GB thread as well).
Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Call stern support or your distro.

#804 7 years ago

Yep- plan on calling Stern today. I've never seen a factory reset cause these issues before. Thx.

#805 7 years ago

Quick update: both Chas at Stern support and the service department at my local distributor have indicated that I will likely need to replace my Node Board 8. The board is being sent immediately under warranty. This should remedy my issues as they are all interconnected to this particular board.
Both Stern and my distributor were very quick to assist.

#806 7 years ago

Ah those tricky node boards! Yep I had a bad one myself and Chas fixed it up pretty quick with referbed one.

#807 7 years ago

Is anyone having issues with when mass hysteria starts the flipper die? I had a regular at one of my locations tell me this two different times now. First I thought it was a fluke but seems it has happened again. I started mass hysteria once and the flippers didn't reverse no matter what I did.

Anyone else having mass hysteria issues?

#808 7 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Is anyone having issues with when mass hysteria starts the flipper die? I had a regular at one of my locations tell me this two different times now. First I thought it was a fluke but seems it has happened again. I started mass hysteria once and the flippers didn't reverse no matter what I did.
Anyone else having mass hysteria issues?

I know this may sound crazy, but maybe reversed flippers have kicked in as they are supposed to. Your customer might be flailing away at the right flipper button and seeing nothing happen on the right side while the left one is going crazy. Thus the thought that it has died.

Maybe?

#809 7 years ago

My wife was playing today, and thought the same thing....

#810 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I know this may sound crazy, but maybe reversed flippers have kicked in as they are supposed to. Your customer might be flailing away at the right flipper button and seeing nothing happen on the right side while the left one is going crazy. Thus the thought that it has died.
Maybe?

I told him they reverse and he said neither side was doing anything. I guess it's possible but why would they not reverse when I started it with the glass off?

#812 7 years ago

New code ?

#813 7 years ago

New code. I was going to call Chaz at Stern tomorrow and ask his opinion, and more then likely reload 1.05 onto the machine.

#814 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah those tricky node boards! Yep I had a bad one myself and Chas fixed it up pretty quick with referbed one.

What is the cause of this? Has stern figured anything out yet? I can see this becoming rather costly for owners if the node boards keep going after warranty...

#815 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

What is the cause of this? Has stern figured anything out yet? I can see this becoming rather costly for owners if the node boards keep going after warranty...

I'll take Overly Cheap Components for the Sake of Tiny Margin Increases for $100, Alex.

#816 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I'll take Overly Cheap Components for the Sake of Tiny Margin Increases for $100, Alex.

Yes but something has to be causing the failure. It can't all be crap components can it? Are they really using that bad of components?

#817 7 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Yes but something has to be causing the failure. It can't all be crap components can it? Are they really using that bad of components?

I don't know if they know, but I know many of the board come back to people with resistors added onto the boards (Don't worry, because they did it after the board failed it isn't a "hack").

#818 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

exactly. Plus there were tons of blemishes in the cabinets and playfields. ops didn't give a shit. Collectors these days would have a cow, if they saw the mismatched marker touchups we used to get in the B/W 90's days. Pinball is no place for the anal collector.

I'll bet they weren't paying 8 thousand dollars for one either.

#819 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I'll bet they weren't paying 8 thousand dollars for one either.

Of course they weren't. It was 20 years ago. Inflation is real. There was also more demand in the early 90s, more machines were sold, margins were better so they could make less per machine. Then everyone (except Stern) went out of business or got out of business because the market changed.

With machines, shit happened then, shit happens now. Main difference is the number of collectors buying NIB, and the instant info internet age. A problem happened back then, an op fixed it, and maybe complained to his distrib or fellow ops. Now everyone hops onto a message forum and raises hell.

Quoted from Syco54645:

Sounds like Node 8 boards can have problems, lots of people having to get them replaced. My guess is future revs of the boards will be better, just like the Metallica magnet boards or X-men aux boards.

#820 7 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

I've noticed on my pro now, every so often (1 out 5 times) when I get a left ramp shot that the diverter kicks down into the storage facility eject, when the ball lands in the hole, sometimes it'll wobble out of the hole before the kicker knocks it out. not sure if maybe my table just needs levelling again, or of something in the process of the ball making its way down there is happening too fast and it doesn't settle nice in the eject hole. will keep an eye on it. I always felt like maybe that hole needs a piece of mylar in a few places, seems to be a bit of bare wood exposed that could break down over time.

Mine does this too. When I first set mine up I had the playfield at around 7.5 degrees and the ball was falling out of the storage facility often. I adjusted to 7 degrees and its better but it still does it occasionally, just a case of bad design in my opinion.

#821 7 years ago

These air balls are huge, balls goes everywhere smashing into everything !

Look where the ball got stuck this time, top of the ramp and I had to remove the glass the get the ball

unspecified_(resized).jpgunspecified_(resized).jpg

#822 7 years ago

Are you using standard flipper rubber? Because GB is definitely to fast for silicone or urethane. The game should slow down a little as it gets played but its still quick as hell. If you didn't already buy them get the sling protectors on ASAP.

#823 7 years ago

Just put a Pro on location last Monday.
Slimer mech has the fix and is working great.
Scoleri Bros. are working really well.
Just today I lowered both outlane posts and now the left and right drains are very manageable.
Also took a small safety tork screwdriver and a hammer and tapped up the two outlane wireforms from the playfield underside about 2/8 of and inch.
No more balls flying over the rails now unless they are airborn to begin with.

Left scoop is dangerously close to ejecting right down the middle and just barely hits the right flipper.
May need to adjust it but right now it is not to bad.
This game is a blast and I can't wait to get my Premium for my house.

#825 7 years ago

I physically bent the top part of the left scoop down and cranked up the coil power and now it feeds more reliably to the right flipper. We'll see if it stays that way.

#826 7 years ago

The scoop power was simply lowered on the one on route near me and it consistently feeds the left flipper for a dead bounce to the right flipper.

#827 7 years ago

Yeah, but that scoop is supposed to feed the right flipper. Just like the right scoop is supposed to feed the left flipper.

#828 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yeah, but that scoop is supposed to feed the right flipper. Just like the right scoop is supposed to feed the left flipper.

Interesting. As long as it doesn't go down the middle I'm okay with it.

#829 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The right saucer on the pro is great because you can just let it dead bounce safely off the left flipper and easily catch it on the right every time.
Have not tried it on an LE yet.

#830 7 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Are you using standard flipper rubber? Because GB is definitely to fast for silicone or urethane. The game should slow down a little as it gets played but its still quick as hell. If you didn't already buy them get the sling protectors on ASAP.

Yes I am, I have dropped the back some more to slow things down. Ball smashes the glass more than once and I am waiting for an earth shattering kaboom. On a side note the Slimer hits the black playfield ramp when it swings across and goes back into position, whats the go with this so that it doesn't hit the ramp when swinging.

Thanks

#831 7 years ago

One thing that I'm sure will be fixed with code is that when you're in a mode and go into multiball you lose the mode.

It should run concurrently with the multiball or start back up when the mutliball is over in my opinion.

#832 7 years ago

I posted on a separate thread, but just to share, I had crazy slimer action, that was a result of the board connection coming a little loose. It wasnt visibly apparent, I thought I had a boom/set screw issue, but much like TWD, a shaker may be the culprit.
Re seat.....and back to normal.

#833 7 years ago

I'm getting lots of phantom hits on Slimer. Time to poke around.

#834 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I havent done this yet...should you or anyone else see a way to raise slimer a mm or 2, please do share.
Also, has anyone seen the LED inside? Im guessing its on a board.

I ask as Slimer is extremely UV reactive! nothing else in the game is, and Im wondering if I can get that "glow".

#835 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Which revision?

#836 7 years ago

about slimer, i think its hard to talk/share experience, as we all have "different" feeling about it

i want mine making contact ONLY if its a direct powerfull center hit
as example, dont want to get contact for an unwated soft touch from a side or a ball simply falling from the bumpers...

and at the moment lets admit its working as that

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Which revision?

It's the newest style of Slimer. It just started with the phantom hits. Apparently no version is foolproof.

#838 7 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

about slimer, i think its hard to talk/share experience, as we all have "different" feeling about it
i want mine making contact ONLY if its a direct powerfull center hit
as example, dont want to get contact for an unwated soft touch from a side or a ball simply falling from the bumpers...
and at the moment lets admit its working as that

Not always. I'm playing an early run slimer on location today that direct HARD hits aren't registering. It's hard enough to light the modes, if he's not registering when you clip him and or hit him dead on at full speed, that's just too mean.

#839 7 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

One thing that I'm sure will be fixed with code is that when you're in a mode and go into multiball you lose the mode.
It should run concurrently with the multiball or start back up when the mutliball is over in my opinion.

Are you sure? Just watched a guy take who brought the dog into MB and was getting mode shot awards.

I also could've sworn I started spooked librarian last night before MB and when Mb was done that mode was completed.

#840 7 years ago

I have a topper issue. When I plug it in, I get the update node failure others have mentioned. When I plug the machine in back the way it came the game plays fine. I'm going to try and replace the rj45 coupler but I don't have faith that will work? Anyone else got any clues? It seems a little silly I need a new node 8 board just run the topper?

#841 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not always. I'm playing an early run slimer on location today that direct HARD hits aren't registering. It's hard enough to light the modes, if he's not registering when you clip him and or hit him dead on at full speed, that's just too mean.

The cables to tight making it so the actuator plate can not swing downward enough. Easy fix. Center the cable between the 2 wires and use a twist tie not a zip tie and add washers under black roof plate. The cable needs to have play and not be pinched.

Also on the Pro during mball the modes stay active but on LEs maybe not but i havent played a LE yet

#842 7 years ago

Modes do stay active on the LE.

#843 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Modes do stay active on the LE.

Thanks, that makes sense. Good news!

#844 7 years ago

Yeah I assumed they stayed active during MB and usually just time out due to the frantic-ness of MB.

#845 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Of course they weren't. It was 20 years ago. Inflation is real. There was also more demand in the early 90s, more machines were sold, margins were better so they could make less per machine.

By my armchair financial analysis regarding inflation, new Williams pins were around what you'd pay for a Stern pro now. FWIW.

#846 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I havent done this yet...should you or anyone else see a way to raise slimer a mm or 2, please do share.
Also, has anyone seen the LED inside? Im guessing its on a board.
I ask as Slimer is extremely UV reactive! nothing else in the game is, and Im wondering if I can get that "glow".

You'll find a grub screw at the top of the slimer shaft. Loosen, adjust height and tighten. Very simple

#847 7 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Are you sure? Just watched a guy take who brought the dog into MB and was getting mode shot awards.
I also could've sworn I started spooked librarian last night before MB and when Mb was done that mode was completed.

I'll happily be wrong here. There's so much going on in multiball it's hard to to tell. I know a few times I've entered MB with a few shots remaining and when I came out the mode insert was not lit at all..maybe I just missed the shots during MB and it timed out.

#848 7 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

By my armchair financial analysis regarding inflation, new Williams pins were around what you'd pay for a Stern pro now. FWIW.

Yup... 3 to 3.6k is around 5.3k today. Nowhere near the 7k and up some models are priced at... but the market seems to accept it so what can ya do?

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

You'll find a grub screw at the top of the slimer shaft. Loosen, adjust height and tighten. Very simple

Thank you. I couldnt get the screw loose, but will try again.

#850 7 years ago

Having issues with my subway ramp. The ball does not always pop up from under the playfield. I can see it teeter back and forth looking down into the exit.

The game will go into a ball search and the ball eventually gets ejected from the lower right scoop. Game is set at exactly 6.5 degrees.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 29.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 4,531 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 91.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbuster-issue-thread/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.