Topic Stats

• 4,440 posts
  • 519 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by Rager170
  • Topic is favorited by 148 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 703 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4482 (resized).JPG
Ramp Postr (resized).jpg
Ramp Post (resized).jpg
IMG_20200225_234132 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200127_105230 (resized).jpg
Node 8 (resized).png
C7EC193A-FD74-4DE0-9F4D-C3126E05D879 (resized).jpeg
564490C6-944B-41B6-9606-ECFA2D4ED963 (resized).jpeg
D864302A-8C2C-48A2-9FB6-84A8DCDD72D5 (resized).jpeg
Drop-target-assembly500-9960-00-01 (resized).jpg
file2 (resized).jpeg
file1 (resized).jpeg
file (resized).jpeg
20190922_151526 (resized).jpg
20190922_194026 (resized).jpg
IMG_6764 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (4 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (4 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (4 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 4 years ago

Stern has been building pinball machines for what, 30 years? And problems as simple as this are still being shipped like this from the factory? Unbelievable that someone can fix it in a few minutes here on Pinside, but the professional designers, testers, and factory assembly workers don't catch this or fix before it is boxed up.

I find that crazy, and there is no excuse for that.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from DerekParsons:

How do you know his wire didn't shift during shipping or after a bunch of games? It's not a big deal / fix. If you find this crazy, I'd love to hear your opinions on politics!

If you haven't noticed, many people have complained of this problem- in fact, almost everyone who has received GB has complained about Slimer not registering all the time and also drop targets not dropping.

As for politics, how is that relevant to a pinball machine and its quality control? Shall we talk religion while we're at it too? How about sports too, why not

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I agree. They should stop making these Pros IMMEDIATELY.
And start manufacturing the LEs.

Now that I agree with !!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Very happy to hear about the dead flip le show on the 5th of May

I can't find anything about that on Dead Flip's Twitter, Facebook, twitch, etc- where did this info come from? It doesn't seem to be listed anywhere.

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

It's supposed to be the 4th

Any links to that announcement by Dead Flip?

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Is was suppose to be on there last twitch broadcast not sure where they archive those

Here's the latest one, just skimmed through it, and no GB LE streaming mentioned: https://www.twitch.tv/dead_flip/v/63392130

EDIT: around the 14:00 mark he does mention next wednesday it will stream

#52 4 years ago

Stern quality control and testing department is like

31824593_(resized).jpg

EDIT: thanks for the downvotes. Absolutely zero sense of humor around here.. must be real fun people to hang with!

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Very common on 80's Bally's. The hold power isn't strong enough to keep the flipper up against a fast ball so it dips until the EOS switch closes, at which point the high power turns on and the flipper goes back up.

What was the resolution to that problem? I hope they fix the Slimer registering issues, drop target rejects, and flipper problems that many people are experiencing before shipping any LE's out.

#65 4 years ago

I understand there will be adjustments needed when coming out of the box, I am just hoping it wont be down for 2-3 weeks like my NIB MET was. That sucked. Glad to hear some of these fixes are pretty simple, I am just surprised how many of the same issues exist for multiple people. Hopefully the premium/LE's mechanics, toys, etc are assembled and tested fully before leaving the factory, and nothing serious will need to be addressed. It was a huge bummer unboxing and setting up MET, just to have to leave it turned off for weeks awaiting parts for it. It's been great since, and thankfully Stern's tech support and warranty came through.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

this is exactly right. In this hobby there is no such thing as perfection. That's why it's important you guys learn how to tweak and fix your own shit. Stuff gets banged around a bunch in shipping. They can't test every game for hours on end. They hit slimer a couple of times. he registers, they move on. It's the way it works. Otherwise they will be shipping games as fast as JJP.

So, can you explain how bent wire forms happen during shipping and what is "banging" against it while it's in the box?

How about the flipper hold power problem?

The drop targets needing adjustment out of the box?

How about my bad sparky magnet, broken/snapped off VUK switch for the snake, along with a bad jaw mechanism that wouldn't go down 5/10 times on my NIB MET?

Those things should be caught at the factory, and not just chalked up as things that happen in shipping, sorry. There are way too many reports of the same problems with GB, and when they all share a similar story, you can't just pass blame onto the shippers.

I'm not expecting perfection, just better quality testing/inspections prior to shipping out multi-thousand dollar commercial toys. The more people make excuses on Stern's behalf, the less inclined they are to make positive changes in the factory.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

My distributor said they've noticed similar hold problems on a couple of their games they've been showing at the Calgary Expo this weekend.. definitely sounds like software now.

I know I get downvoted any time I'm critical of Stern's QC process, but how is it possible to defend the fact that they shipped these games with so many flipper issues? If it is software based, who gave the approval to ship the game with an obvious defect right out of the gate? Is that not something to criticize here, for games that cost this much brand new? I mean, either they knew this was a problem and didn't mention this and shipped anyway, assuming people can update later, or they just didn't test the game enough to know of the problem. Either way, not good.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I agree. Stern is clearly duping us, the consumer.
We need to find another hobby and stay away from pinball.
You go first. I'm right behind you, promise!
Seriously, it's your approach that's getting you the downvotes. Others are pointing out issues and how to fix them, working together. You seem to be of the mindset that throwing stones will get things done.
Your call, but it's f'n annoying to read your constant moaning.
Pinball is about having fun. If you can't see it from that angle, you're either in the wrong place, or may wish to change your mind frame.
All that being said, it has been seen time after time that waiting a little while for some of these bugs to be worked out is not a bad option if, like me, you'd prefer not to have to tackle these issues yourself.

So many sensitive people on here, it's crazy.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I agree. Stern is clearly duping us, the consumer.
We need to find another hobby and stay away from pinball.
You go first. I'm right behind you, promise!
Seriously, it's your approach that's getting you the downvotes. Others are pointing out issues and how to fix them, working together. You seem to be of the mindset that throwing stones will get things done.
Your call, but it's f'n annoying to read your constant moaning.
Pinball is about having fun. If you can't see it from that angle, you're either in the wrong place, or may wish to change your mind frame.
All that being said, it has been seen time after time that waiting a little while for some of these bugs to be worked out is not a bad option if, like me, you'd prefer not to have to tackle these issues yourself.

So funny how hypocritical you are. You are calling me out for being opinionated about Stern's technical issues, but you have no problem being critical and moaning about JJP about the Hobbit here on this post.

Pot calling the kettle black, perhaps?

image_(resized).jpeg

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Omaha Nebraska, Big Johns Billiards. Pro last night played great. Although Ball guide wire on side of captive ball bent and held the captive ball just like others said. Looks like Stern needs to reinforce the wire or figure something out. That guide gets slammed.
magicchiz

So is this a shipping issue as others mentioned, or a possible design flaw? Are we going to be asked to bend this ball wire guide periodically? Another thing I'm surprised that wasn't caught during the testing process.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I notice that two of the downvotes I received for this post were from accounts registered on the date they made the downvotes, and which have been immediately blocked / suspended. Kaneda's really blowing through those alts ...

No worries, I've embraced downvotes from the cool club here on Pinside. If you say something one guy doesn't like, and are downvoted- then everyone sees it as fair game and starts piling on. Subsequently, if some well-known guy posts and gets upvoted, then they all gang up like groupies and upvote everything that person has to say. It's all good.. its like the 6th grade over here

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

wow...
Guess Stern should look into installing thicker ball rails.

Shh.. don't say that, let the cool guys come in here and tell you it is a shipping problem, or since its pinball that is an acceptable flaw.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

I am new to pinball, much like yourself, but one thing has become clear real quick. There are those who tinker, live and breath pinball, and then there are those who do it by credit card. I prefer the tinkerers.

Considering I've repaired and installed every single mod or part on my machine myself, I'm not understanding your point. I just want a 100% working machine when paying $8,000 cash, not credit card, for a new in box machine that doesn't take 3 weeks to get parts from Stern to be playable (like what happened with NIB MET) or have apparent design flaws I must find ways to compensate for.

Is that too much to ask or hard to accept?

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from windsoreight:

We had an issue with one of the 2 we had. The left Outland switches were all wired wrong. Easy fix but caused weird ball save issues.

.... You sure the wiring issues werent caused during shipping like some people suggested in this thread

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

The rail jumps we had seemed to come at an angle and be at the impact with the immediate front of the wire guide.
Is this how others are seeing?
How about a clear rubber dot?
or a quick dot off a glue gun?
Should be enough to stop the ball from becoming air borne.

All perfectly fine questions that should have been asked by the design and testing team at Stern.

#159 4 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

This... And if that's not enough, I'm sure someone could make them that have longer stems going into the playfield.

Maybe Stern will make them, and put them on the accessories page of their website for $29.99

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

One thing that needs to be fixed is the reverse flipper switch back at the end of Mass Hysteria. I always lose my ball because I drain down to one ball and either the flippers don't switch back to normal for several seconds, or I plan for them not switching back right away and then they do and I still drain. Watched it happen to another player today too. Need to add a ball save or something to compensate for that.

Or just add the option to disable stupid reverse flippers any way. Why kill an otherwise awesome multiball mode by crippling it with reversed flippers?

#167 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's what CCC does.

Cause it's like haunted and stuff.

Yeah, well I want to un-haunt the flippers then... Dwight, give the option to us please!

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Have you never made it to The Simpson Pinball Party Mystery Spot??

Yeah !! I didn't like the reverse flippers there either.. such an awesome game, but man, I just don't like reverse flippers

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yup. That's always the way I feel when I get it on TSPP. Who wants to contort themselves and play the multiball with your face practically pressed against the glass? Interesting gimmick to get through maybe...twice... then it's like "make it go away".

Exactly - it's cool, and I get the novelty of being "different", but let me disable it after it gets old. I won't look forward to the mode if I know I have to do some dumb contorted arm move to play like in TSPP.

If they want to be cute with "haunted" effects, take cues from WOZ and just make the flippers not hold, or randomly fire off like they are possessed. Reverse flippers are lame

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from JoshODBrown:

The bricking on the drops is kind of annoying now, i have to think strategically when they pop up, i know i don't want to nail them hard, so i either graze them, or hit softly to deal with that.

I wish instead of drop targets they would have done what MM did with the trolls.. but instead, the Scoleri brother heads.

MM-trolls-small_(resized).jpg

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Simple reason they didn't - cost is about 10x.

I figured - but then again, maybe it would have been best to not include them on the machine if it didn't fit in the budget. I don't think i've read one positive comment about them, and only negative. I am hoping the modders do this up with some type of lit targets that are angled and will offer better bounce backs.

#189 4 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

More left flipper woes: Playing on location, I got to "We Came, We Saw, We Kicked Its..." mode, I had 2 balls cradled on the left flipper, my 3rd ball kicks out from the scoop to the left flipper & automatically knocks the left flipper down draining all 3 balls all at once. I blame myself.

#betatester

#216 4 years ago

Stern better not ship LE's with this problem - seeing as how it's obviously a design flaw and they read the forums. They need to address this quick as this is a pretty big factory defect.

#220 4 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

It did, and it does. Mine was bent as well. Straightened it, and within 10 games it was bent back in again. Mine also has a weak right flipper that progressively gets weaker as I play. I'll have to call Stern on Monday for that.

If your right flipper gets weaker as you play, there's a good chance it's your EOS switch on the right flipper coil not working correctly. Look at how both flippers work, it sounds like the EOS switch activator isn't making contact correctly.

#221 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

Just so we're clear one one thing: pre-ordering an LE is basically begging to have a new game show up that's likely to have some issues.
If you're not cool with that (and many aren't, so don't take that as a dig), I would suggest you sell your LE spot, and wait for a Premium.
I'm posting this now so that in a month, when you get your LE, and you're posting all sorts of nonsense, I can say I told you so.
See you in a month!

Really, is that how you make excuses on Stern's behalf, by blaming me- the customer who's spending $8,000? Man, GTFO here with your crap

#223 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

What if for a location "hack" you put a second captive ball it there. One will get stuck at the top one at the bottom but there should be enough space for them to still hit and hit the target. Just untill stern hopefully fixes this issue. Games deffinatly shouldnt have been shipped like this.

That's actually not a bad idea right there. I understand games shipped will have issues you need to tweak or adjust out of the box, but this is not a simple fix and clearly falls in the "design fail" category and one must wonder how this passed Stern's internal testing.

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

There's no excuses being made. I don't think Stern should release new pins with any issues at all.
I'd also like to expect that they would send a technician to my house to fix any little thing that's not perfect, after I pay the cost on any new pin.
However... that's not the case. Nor is complete code at time of release.
So those people who complain about things that they knew they were likely to get into are more than just a little ignorant.
If issues like this are likely to bother you, you're much better off selling your LE spot at a profit right now, and waiting for a Premium.
That's all.

I get there will be problems NIB, already had that experience with my MET. But I was able to successfully fix it after they sent parts and got it up and running.

This wire form bending issue is clearly not a simple fix - it needs a larger gauge wire form, which requires drilling the playfield- or even a 3-leg wire form which requires drilling the playfield.

This issue has nothing to do with standard NIB issues, this is a design flaw, plain and simple.

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

LE's always get the design shafts. Problems are figured out, and corrected on premiums. You see. LE's are sold and you guys line up for them before they are even made. What incentive do they have to worry about fixing anything? That's already money in the bank. It's the premiums that will sell and keep on selling. Those are the ones that need to have attention paid to them, so they can keep selling them, release after release. But don't worry. LE buyers have that nifty plaque.

Although I see your point and am not disagreeing with you, that's pathetic though.

#251 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes it sucks. Pinball is just one of those hobbies where you do NOT want the first ones. I always want as close to the last one made of any game. Those usually have all the fixes worked out.

I hear ya man - just unfortunate there's no faith in the Stern QA and testing process that people in this hobby have to expect defective products with new releases. I get it though.

I'm curious how Stern will handle this wire form bending issue though. The LE's aren't on the line yet, and they obviously know of the problem by now- lets see if they just ignore it and keep the production going with the problem or hit the pause button and fix it on the line for current Pro's and LE's. If they don't, that's just a bunch of crap

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

you have to understand... the business is ALWAYS about keeping the production line going. Designing games does not make money, testing games does not make money, only boxing games up and shipping them does. So it takes a BIG problem to say STOP the line. If its something they can address after the fact, there is less reason to stop the line and stop shipping stuff.
Stern has been in this current quagmire about parts funnel slowing them down, but normally you don't stop the game production unless the stuff has really hit the fan. Games can be retrofitted, software can be written, but you can't pause the expenses meter that is always churning.
Stern is a lot more dynamic than the big guys used to be.. but they gotta be shipping games.. and shipping/building games is something you can only do based on prior scheduling/forecasting/ordering of parts.. so their options are limited.
The TL;DR - unless the sky is falling, you don't stop the line, you retrofit after the fact and plan for future change orders for later builds. Don't stop the heart of the company.

That's why the have multiple lines making many games- why not just pause the like making the one game with the problem, fix it, restart line? The heart of the company is not a single game, which is why they have many in production at any given time.

If they can pause a production line to fix just about every modern consumer electronic device, automobile, etc... Why can they not to the same with a Ghostbuster's pinball machine? To just run a business cranking out machines with known manufacturer defects is just bad business, and is not cool to the customer- why does anyone feel the need to defend this?

Also, if the game can be fixed via retrofit - and they are unwilling to stop the production line, why not do the retrofit at the factory prior to boxing and shipping? Is that too much to ask, because "Pinball hobby"?

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from AliciaC:

Damn KPG - we must have pressed send at the same time, but our thought process is identical

Exactly man ! 13-14+ years ago I worked at Flextronics while they made PCB's for the original Xbox 1. Many times the line was paused to implement fixes and changes, then restarted. PCB's were junked it it was reported to have an issue, as obviously fixing the product *before* it hits consumers homes was the key.

I guess in the pinball hobby people are more lenient and complacent with what seems to be a higher defect rate and lower build quality expectation. Stern probably doesn't care much as they read Pinside and see all the guys with up votes making excuses on their behalf, and they know we can't pack up the machine and go into a retailer and ask to switch for a new one or get a refund. Imagine if Stern made these things for Costco? (They may have at one point if I recall) - Costco would tell them to piss off once they saw the level of issues out of the box.

Fact is, many people are right here- you need to set expectations for many issues, defects, failures, and problems with games out of the box. For a company with 30+ years of experience with pinball machines being on their production line, I find that extremely disappointing considering most of these problems should have been caught during the testing process. From lights being miswired, or not wired at all, to broken switches being installed, flippers not working, etc etc it's not the hobby itself with the problem.. It's the questionable management of a consumer electronics production line that happens to build pinball machines. Not a shining example of American / US made products at all.

I literally cannot recall a Chinese made electronic product or device that had physical defects out of the box that I've purchased in a LONG time... Yet, here on Pinside.. The advice is to literally wait months to purchase the machine, not be part of the hobby, or just expect shoddy quality out of the box. Amazing, considering how expensive these things are now.

#263 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

and yet, they didn't fix the one major problem they had. Overheating and causing cold solder joints on the graphics and processor chip. SO people had problems down the line.

Well, that issue never occurred with Xbox 1. That was the Red Ring of Death (RRoD) issue on the Xbox 360, which the ones that had the problem were built on a different production line then the original XB1.

That issue hurt the image of Microsoft and Xbox, and cost them a substantial amount of money to resolve. It was determined cost and time savings measures on the production line were at fault, and look what happened- the consumer got screwed, it hurt the business and image of Microsoft and Xbox, and it cost them a lot of money to fix after the fact.

But somehow this is the 'norm' and expected with Pinball.

Guess my point is that instead of making excuses on Stern's behalf and being ok with mediocre testing and build quality, we should raise our voices and have some backbone and maybe they'll revise their production line build and testing procedures, and improve their products as a whole. Now, wouldn't that be nice? Why not encourage them to improve, and not make excuses on their behalf like 90% of the people here do?

All I know is I don't want my GB LE to sit turned off for 3 weeks like my NIB MET did while I awaited new parts. The whole "wait for premiums/they will be built better and without issues" didn't work in that case, as my MET Premium was built in Nov 2015.

I can repair 90% of a pinball machine on my own, that's no problem. I just can't be one of the people here making an excuse for poor testing and defective products at this price point, sorry. So downvote my criticism like what's done before, but by accepting this just allows more consumer frustration and less motivation for Stern to revise their production methods and improve the product that we, the consumers, spend $5-8,000 on.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Well who was complaining about product delays just 2 weeks ago? And aren't you one of 500ish people that said "shut up and take my money" as soon as you saw a picture of a game? Who wanted they urges satisfied at all other expenses?
If you want to start talking about sending a message and encouraging something... You better start with a look in the mirror and changing your own behavior.
Money talks... Not customers that buy blindly over and over no matter what you do.

LOL - typical Kool-Aid drinker talk around here.

Once again, it's my fault for wanting to support Stern and pay them $8,000 for a pinball machine that they have had 30 years of experiencing building similar ones, but with different art and sound work.

What an idiot I am to expect it to work out of the box.

It's "My Fault" I expect a working and properly tested product out of the box.

How dumb I was to expect my NIB MET to work back in December- TWO YEARS after the first one rolled off the line- but no, it was dead for 3 weeks after I pulled it out of the box.

But go ahead, accumulate those up votes by once again pointing the finger at the CUSTOMER who buys products from Stern and keeps them in business.

#269 4 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

I'm guessing most people here actually do agree with you but are just getting tired of your broken record approach to complaining. I get your frustration, but I'm also tired of reading about it every second post.

seeing as you are one of the 5 people who constantly downvote my posts, you do know I'm simply responding to people who defend a broken QA process and am sticking up for those who have also been affected by poor quality testing and build quality. Sorry for being the one with the balls to speak up on behalf of consumers.

Sometimes it takes a broken record to get things fixed.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This isn't consumer electronics.

It's not consumer electronics?

Then why don't you tell Stern to update their LinkedIn Profile and change it from "Consumer Electronics"

image_(resized).jpeg

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I thought this was a GB issues thread, not a Stern issues thread?

Stern designs, manufacturers, and is trusted to properly test and fix issues with GB prior to shipping GB.

So yes, Stern issues most definitely = GB issues.

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Actions speak louder than words.. put your money where your mouth is. Else you're just whining.

So, spending $15,000 on brand new machines with Stern in a few months isn't "putting my money where my mouth is" ? I think ive paid enough to complain. What other actions would you like to see happen? The funny thing is you feel the urge to always comment and reply to me, yet, you have no skin in the game and havent put YOUR money where your mouth is by purchasing a GB. Why are you even in this thread anyway?

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Stern will address and fix issues that come up. They stand behind what they make. It's pinball! Just relax....

I can definitely say that about Stern, which is why I wont take the advice of "Jvspin" above and cancel my LE order. I'm already paid in full, and want the machine. I feel great about financially supporting Stern (and pinball as a hobby) and buying this machine that I have wanted for almost a year. Giving advice to not buy products from Stern if you are unhappy is not the right advice to go about it - I do not even tell people or attempt to sway from a purchase.. that's the wrong way to go about things, by trying to punish a company and not buy product from them - or essentially boycotting them. No point, and that is not my intentions.

When my issues with MET came up, I have to say that Chaz at Stern pulled through on the support hotline, and they did ship me the parts and I got it up and running. Sure, I had to spend 2-3 hours of my time soldering and doing repairs on a brand new machine, but I have to say that the customer support experience was excellent. This is why I am fine with still buying the machine. My criticism is on the build quality and testing procedures. Where they lack in pre-shipping testing, they make up in customer service. I will state I would have definitely not purchased another machine had their customer service not been up to par, and my experience with Chaz and the service department gave me the confidence to buy another NIB from Stern.

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Mental "issues" don't count?

So, now we are going down the road of personal and inflammatory attacks? Got it. Guess that's how you get upvotes and "atta boys" from your online friends here on Pinside and win the popularity contest.

#287 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I count two posts on this page alone that are actually on topic. Can we keep this to actual issues with people's games so that current owners and potential future owners have somewhere to reference fixes for any issues they might have?

Calling to stay on topic, yet looking at all off-topic posts you have consistently up-voted them. So which is it.. do you want to get on topic, or continue to support the off-topic posts?

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

but why shouldn't they do even less and further increase their profit margins until they actually see an adverse affect on their sales?

Who's side on you on here? This statement is completely anti-consumer and makes me question your motives here. I am glad I do not run my business with this mentality, or I wouldn't be in business and make a good enough living to afford to pay Stern for pinball machines in the first place. I have found quality service with exceptional product offerings is what keeps me successful and in business, not the lowest accepted quality products and service possible to maximize my profits.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

If people would choose to hold Stern to a higher standard, it might get done.

Amazing concept!

#301 4 years ago

Well, clearly I am amongst blue collar workers who punch in / punch out, Mon-Fri, 8-5pm. I am a business owner, and think like a businessman. I have an MBA that I worked very hard to get, and I am only applying my business experience and education when I think and speak about production lines, business, customer support, etc. Having run a successful business well over a decade, but always putting the customer first- and thinking first and foremost about quality, customer satisfaction, etc. BEFORE profit.. I'll stick with that mentality as our annual year-over-year revenue has only exponentially increased since we opened our doors this way.

The mentality that Stern should squeeze ever penny of profit OUT of the customer, so they can survive.. instead of squeezing every ounce of quality INTO the product is not something that should be encouraged, or expected. Clearly, I am amongst a different crowd here. I'll use this example of business mentality when I am hosting next weeks entrepreneur meeting and see what my colleagues think. I am sure to expect more educated and well thought out responses.

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Group A : Knows the past, knows what to expects, spends money with that expectation
Group B : Knows what they want, spends their money, then expects the world to bend to their perception
Group B thinks they know how to survive in the Coin-Op industry... yet have never done it. There are countless people who have TRIED and failed.. so as flawed as you think Stern's practice is, it's keeping them afloat and growing, while everyone else struggles to even ship product. Running a business is not the same as running any business.
All we are saying is... Stern is a well known commodity.. no one has any sympathy for you when you throw money blindly at Stern and simply chose to ignore Stern's history and practices, then come around pouting how you can't believe it is this way. And instead of speaking with your wallet, you keep throwing money at them hoping that they'll listen to you more because you're a big spender.
If you haven't paid any attention to Gary Stern.. you might want to watch a bit more of his past talks and interviews. The man is set in his ways and his opinion of what the market is and how to run a business. Your mantra of 'standing up to them (after you've given them your money)' is pretty funny. You're dealing with a company lead by a guy who has lived in the semi-sleezy commercial coin op world his entire life. It's gonna take more than a few pinside campaigns to make a dent in that.
What matters to Gary is what SELLS NOW.

Dude.. I have zero idea where you are going with this.. asking "the world to bend with your perception" .. "throwing money blindly at Stern"

You are blowing this way out of proportion.

All I am suggesting is Stern test their machines better before shipping, replace the bendy wireform with a stronger one, and maybe make sure the Slimer registers.

Option A, Option B, who gives a crap. Test products before shipping.. SIMPLE.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Kpg and flynnibus... do you guys have jobs? How do you find the time to constantly bicker on here?

Presently, I do a better job of employing and creating jobs as my own "job".. that allows me the free time to post here and have a pretty kick back lifestyle that doesnt require me to perform specific assigned tasks for paychecks. Took a long time to get to that position, but it does feel great to provide almost 50 people with full time jobs to put food on their tables.

Quoted from Pinballlew:

Does anyone else here feel that Stern does a pretty good job with quality control at present? Am I the only one. They do test each and every game before shipping from my limited knowledge. Their tech support seems great. They deal with problems that people may have. I mean I know they are not perfect but for what they do they seem to do a great job. I think in all Pinball Manufacturing you are bound to have issues. I have not seen a manufacturer that hasn't and it seems to me that a lot of their machines do not have any issues after shipment.

I think where Stern lacks in QA they most definitely excel in customer support and service which is why I am purchasing the machine. I also found JJP's customer service to be pretty good as well.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Get a room in the "basement" and go at it, gloves off...that will clean up this thread and focus on actual tech problems rather than he said she said philosophical business decisions.

Thats thats a GREAT idea right there man !

Quoted from iceman44:

It's a joke, lighten up Francis, not directed at anybody in particular.

Sorry read it the wrong way, just used to the small group of Pinside gangsta's jumping me with keyboards and mouses in hand whenever they get a chance.. these guys are tough!

Midget_gang_(resized).jpg

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from ExtremePinball:

Ok, I don't know you, and you don't know me. However, this style of interaction is exactly why you are going to continue to experience negativity on this forum. I'd estimate that 95% of the posters on here DO NOT operate pinball machines in a commercial environment. So your "business" related arguments, although spot on, will not gain support in this forum. I know, I've tried.
Personally, as a business owner, and a commercial pinball operator, I agree 100% with your concerns regarding quality control. In my businesses, I always strive to be the absolute best that I can be, and do the absolute best that I can do. If a game isn't working 100% or better, it doesn't go out. Quality over quantity. Integrity over profit. In just 6 short years, I've gone from a garage startup with no experience, to the largest arcade operator on the Las Vegas strip.
I buy a minimum of two (a pro & LE) of every Stern in production. So I agree that there is simply no excuse for problems like the ball launching off of Bicycle Girl ramp on WDLE/Prem, or for GoT LE/Prem orbit issue or for GB pro wire-form bending inward and preventing the book stacking captive ball from working no matter how many times I straighten it back out. This is a failure to properly test their prototypes before building the final product for sale. Those are design problems inherent in the product, with no causation from outside forces. All of those problems were observable and identified by myself within the first 5 games from NIB. I'm still trying to fix the multitude of problems with my NIB GB pro before I can set it up at NYNY. This costs me money and time. Again, as a business owner, and as a person who earns part of their living by providing the best pinball experience, in the best condition possible, for EVERYBODY to enjoy, my equipment needs to operate at its absolute best. So ultimately, I agree with you, No excuses.
Now, on the other hand, as a regular guy, as a pinball fan, as an avid collector, as an extensive modder.... eh. I'm just having fun, dude. This is my hobby. It's not like life/death. I get that sometimes sh!t slips through cracks and it may require me to fix it before I can play it. Or even perform a factory modification to fix something accidently overlooked at the factory. So what if I have to spend some time on it, I'm waiting for my skin blades & aftermarket mods to come in anyway. It's just pinball, man. Chill.

Points taken, and well written post man. I don't know you, but I like what you wrote and you make sense in a non-condescending and hostile way which is much appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry to derail the thread. Like ExtremePinball said, this is mostly a hobby for us, and talking business instead of the game itself is no fun and I get it

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Not sure if it's been mentioned before (probably have but it bears mentioning again), but the GHOST standup should also count as a Slimer hit. In one Ghostbusters Pro on location here we are already seeing Slimer hits failing to register in mass quantities. The game is hard enough without having to shoot Slimer 5-6 times for a single shot to register and the game isn't a lot of fun if you can't get into a scene. With the operator of this particular machine, it will take a long time for this to get fixed. They still haven't fixed the stuck up diverter gate for the right orbit or the stuck book stacking captive ball that is stuck because the wire rail to the left of it bent in from shots to the GHOST target.

There are many people complaining of this problem, and no one from Stern has responded or addressed it yet. I do see Dwight and Jared visit this site and have commented a few times - I think it would be fair and not asking too much to see someone from Stern comment on this matter here on Pinside.

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The companies used to do such things.. until people treated them so poorly they left. Try asking on their facebook page

They should really do what a lot of other companies do then, open their own support forums and have someone designated to post tips and suggested fixes for known problems, and moderate their own forums. This is very common nowadays, and may even help offset some of the load that the support team handles, and provide a proper medium for official PSA's and other useful information for customers.

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

It's not hard to foresee somewhere in the $500-$1000 range.. All for a $50-$100 tv.

I'm ok with paying more then current prices if there is an LCD, and the products go through more testing and are an overall higher quality product. Totally cool with that.

#364 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Stern used to have a forum on their site. Didn't last very long for a lot of the same reasons.

Quoted from LTG:

It was a good forum. Spammers hacked it. Hundreds of worthless posts not pinball related. They were knocked out, and back in a minute. It was shut down then.
It would be nice to see it return. Spammer free of course.
LTG : )

That is unfortunate. Sounds like the forum software was not properly implemented though. Maybe they could just start a FB Group and set up some employees as admins of that group where questions and posts can be made officially from Stern regarding NIB fixes, software bugs, etc.

This way they could keep marketing efforts on their normal FB page, but have a "Stern Pinball Owners Group" on Facebook that can allow discussion and feedback of their products, and official communications and fully moderate it any way they choose. No development costs of a forum, no website programming and hosting fees, forum software licensing costs, spammers, etc. As they choose who is allowed to join and who can stay.

Just thinking out loud..

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Stern is a little too, um, sensitive to feedback for that group to work out well in the long term.

True- I've also noticed some unprofessional and snarky replies on their FB page, which is vastly different then how most other companies handle their social media presence. Although at times there are some funny responses, there are ones like this that come off pretty rude.. So I guess you have a point... It would probably just be used as a way to beat up customers a bit like what happened with this guy

image_(resized).jpeg

#382 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffsgames:

Yeah, it seems like they like to tell people to "play better" instead of addressing concerns. This is the kind of thing that happens in an industry where the customers treat their suppliers like rock stars and honor them as special guests at shows. Tends to lessen the need to provide ultra-high customer service.

Reminds me of when the iPhone 4 had that antenna-gate issue where when you touched the antenna with your palm it would drop the call.. and Steve Jobs said "you are holding it wrong" Needless to say, Apple lost that lawsuit.

#406 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I read a post in another thread stating GB Pro's won't ship until June now.
Maybe the delay is due to an attempt to resolve GB issues?
If games won't arrive till July & code isn't complete & there's issues with slimer, short outlanes & bent wire forms why push the money out of your account today?

I mentioned it on the "Real Ghostbusters Thread" a couple days ago, Stern has paused production of the Pro's (and maybe the LE/Prem too) in order to "re-work the Slimer mechanism" and have the engineering dept. at Stern come up with a resolution on the wireform bending problem.

Originally I was told May 16th for LE production, this was last month, so if we don't see LE's on the line tomorrow or early this week then it seems they are likely reworking the Slimer mech and wireforms on the LE's as well. I don't care, I just want a machine that works without these problems, and I am ok with waiting a little longer because of that.

I wonder what they will do to address the machines that people already have though?

#412 4 years ago
Quoted from andre060:

Curious if your distributor has asked you for payment on your LE yet?

Yeah, about a week ago - paid in full. Trent @ Tilt

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Is this official from Stern or just a rumor?

From Stern

#418 4 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Im in contact with 2 guys at Stern in regards to the wire rail and the newton ball black roof bending, both trapping the ball on some tables. Ive only had the wire rail bend in trapping ball but my roof is bent down also but not trapping ball. They didnt say anything about production but did say they were re engineering the newton ball roof and wire rail.

Did they also mention the re-working of the Slimer mech? Sounds like they are only re-doing the Slimer mech on the Pros, and not LE's.

I am interested to see what the new design is for the wireform & roof for the captive ball setup, last I heard engineering was looking into the issue but didn't have a solution yet. I'd assume this is why a lot of Pro's were delayed until July. It would be nice if there was an official PSA from Stern, but I guess this is good enough for now. I am very happy Stern is addressing this now, and not like how they have addressed the GoT issues.

#426 4 years ago

This is from the Prem/LE manual- looks like a better designed Slimer mech. I'm assuming this is either a revised version from what's on the Pro, or was made for the Prem/LE to begin with, but I'm willing to bet this will be implemented in the Pro's going forward. Definitely seems like a better design.

image_(resized).png

Also, here is a picture of the Prem/LE from when GB was announced, seems at some point they changed the Slimer mech, possibly due to more play testing. Looks like the very early games will have this older designed mech. You can see the lack of the additional pendulum type piece that sits on the Slimer mech top plate.

image_(resized).jpeg

#430 4 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Anyone looked at the pro manual what does it show in there?

Just checked, looks like they updated the Pro manual. It is now reflecting a new design, similar to the Prem/LE model's Slimer mech. Anyone care to see if Stern will replace existing Pro Slimer mechs with this new design? See below screenshot from Pro manual:

2016-05-17_1402_(resized).png

vs old design:

1411eb27e8c571b495d6ea65e462e34ef3fd9994.jpeg_(resized).jpg

#445 4 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

It amazes me that this and the Slimer bash toy would have made it through any sort of testing without showing similar effects, in fact, if you go look at the Dead Flip LE video, this rail is bent too and not allowing the captive ball to register.

Well, that explains that then. You had both Dwight and JT standing there, playing the machine, and they didn't even realize the captive ball wasn't working- or chose to ignore it. No wonder the problem exists, they are apparently clueless or could care less.

#452 4 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Stern's cheap don't think they would have redesigned it if they didn't know it would be a problem.

I have to laugh, they redesigned it after a few weeks in production and now they tell the customers with the old ones that the old design works better and is more sensitive, so they won't have to ship the new one out. That's so funny. Why did they redesign it then?

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

So i played a 4 player game by myself to activate slimer as much as possible. I thought i had it sorta fixed by tightening the 2 bolts running up through the mech but still doesnt work right. So i took the black cover completely off and played and he did seem to work better. So i put 2 extra washers under the cover to give cable more slack. See how that goes but at this point im over the defective mech.

I'm sure Stern will make it right if you complain enough.

It's not just about a thicker cable they used- the design is completely different. On your mech (the older design) the cable pretty much just lays down and 'falls' into the hole of the mechanism.

With the new design, the wire is actually suspended perfectly flush in the middle of the hole, with that new anchor piece you see on the top plate now. That's the fix itself, that piece just holds the wire completely in the middle of the hole, vs it laying into it, bent. Customer support can tell you to adjust it all you want, by it laying in the hole and repeatedly hitting Slimer, it will just require you to re-adjust all the time as that cable will never stay in place properly. They need to replace *all* of the previous mechanisms in my opinion.

Example, cable laying into hole:

2016-05-20_1404_(resized).png

vs. anchor holding it perfectly straight and secured into middle of hole:

2016-05-20_1405_(resized).png
2016-05-20_1405_001_(resized).png

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Quick update on new mech situation. So my distributor got through to Stern and Sterns response is the new mech is basicly the same as original with only a few parts different. They say there going to send the original part # 500-9989-00 out to me. i will be returning the parts if they do. Why would a company make a new designed part within weeks of release and try to act like the original isnt defective. Id be more then happy to pay for the new mech if that was possible.

I think their unwillingness to send you the mechanism is because it may be complicated to change out, or there might be more parts needed that are costly. Not cool, but I still think you should make some more noise and they'll replace it..

#487 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah that's what I thought...no game code listed on Stern...am I missing it?
http://www.sternpinball.com/games/ghostbusters/pro

Weird they pulled the code from the site.

I might have it downloaded (v1.04) that I can send u via Dropbox link if u want it

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Just got my GB today and if I'm reading the posts above correctly, it appears that I have the new Slimer.
Put an extra ball in the captive ball track next to the ghost target and I'm about to fire up my first game.

Cool you got the new setup, but have to say, that looks totally unfinished. Looks like a crimp connector.. wow. Such a nice looking playfield and game itself, but the entire Slimer mechanism looks bad- from the split plastic wire loom w/ zip tie, to the crimp connector and exposed bolts, its a pretty big eyesore on an otherwise impressive playfield.

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from flyusa007:

Wow that new mechanism does like strange. Kind of rigged looking on top. I bet it reads perfectly though compared to our old design Slimmer's.

Seriously, why is there a dangling wire up top, zip tied to a wire loom meant to *hide* wiring?

I do not think this is the final designed replacement mech.

This looks like a fixed version that was rigged to work on a previous playfield. Like they cut the wire right on the spot and installed the new mech, complete with a half ass crimp connector.

I bet we see a different iteration. This looks different then the mech that was on the Dead Flip LE video.. EDIT: looked back, and it looks the same.. complete with dangling wire on it.

Also,

Looked at the video again and saw the wireform on Stern's LE was so bent, the captive ball doesnt work. Got this screen grab. How was Dwight and JT sitting there playing a game with this problem, and not addressing it? This is the problem and right where this will cause an issue, I circled where the ball was repeatedly hitting and where it just happens to be severely bent where the captive ball couldn't register:

Screen_Shot_2016-05-20_at_8.21.55_PM_(resized).png

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Hmmm.... When I called Chas @ stern last week with concerns about the Bent wire on the captive ball.He said someone sent him a picture of the bent wire."But the game we play all the time here @ stern is not bent".

LOL

Too funny. So JT, Dwight, and now Chas are unable to see the bent wireform everyone else saw on Sterns GB LE machine. Perhaps Stern needs an in-house optometrist ?

#503 4 years ago

Would it help (or even be possible) to install a rubber post sleeve right on the metal form where it is prone to bending? Would there be room for the captive ball to still move? Maybe bending the metal outwards, then putting a post rubber would prevent it from bending again. Just a thought.

#526 4 years ago

Can't believe people are even suggesting taking a hammer to their brand new pinball machines

I'm sure there's a better way guys. I bet Stern may even be installing better metal rail guides at this point. I will definitely not be hammering shit on my new GB machine, that's for sure

#532 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I will email them but I don't even know if they speak English ,we can only hope someone will import these kits for usa .

Does this solve the ball hopping the guides? How well does that center post work?

#540 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Center post mods make me and baby Slimer cry.

If you are using the old mech, Slimer would only be able to cry about 60% of the time though.

Quoted from TheLaw:

- After less than 100 plays -
I've had issues with Lighting on nodes 9a/9b/9c. These are basically all the middle and upper lights on the game, and they just do not work other than a pulse of light every few seconds. The pulse USED to be good at least...so you could see which shots were lit after a couple seconds. Seems the issue is getting worse and the flicker is much lower now. Sucks, but hey at least you can play the game.
After around 30 games yesterday the ghost metal guide got bent of course, but then seems like node 9 driver section crapped out as well. Now the pops, lock post and other coils do not work at all, making the game unplayable

Sorry to hear man. I bet Chas @ Stern gets you up and running pretty quickly though. Check your fuses too, regarding the pops/post/coils/etc.

Did you have a second ball in the captive ball area by any chance?

#546 4 years ago
Quoted from exflexer:

Working on pins isn't for the faint of heart.

I don't mind working on pins, I actually enjoy adding mods, maintaining, and overall tinkering with pins. I just don't want to start hammering wire guides that could directly affect the playfield on one little slip up. I get issues will be there out of the box, but hammering wire guides is something I don't want to do fresh out of the box, and I am willing to bet many other people feel the same way.

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

With the Slimer cable it seems they should have used a tensioner like a bike brake cable. Spin the wheel and adjust cable sensitivity.

I believe the new mechanism uses something similar to this idea.

#582 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

If you look closely at that mod, the post attaches to the plastic. Looks like the playfield is untouched and not drilled.

Only a moron would drill the playfield. You are right, its suspended on a plastic.

1 week later
#684 4 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Potential improvement to fix Slimer hits. I made a wedge that fits inside under the Slimer ball so when the Slimer is hit from the side, the angle deflects it off the actuator plate. Then I added a spacer on top of the ball so you can but the plastic back on and tighten it down to hold the wedge in place. Play testing now.

I'm wondering since you are Mr. Mezel himself, have you tried to get Stern to give you the new designed mech instead of rigging the bad design up? I'd think you have some pull over there to make it happen?

#691 4 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

I originally made the stock springs shorter but they still werent strong enough. These new springs are 3x stronger and made the scoleris fun again instead of "oh shit scoleris again", i was hating when they would pop up with stock springs

Makes you wonder why Pinball Life had to figure this out and JT didn't when designing the game and play testing it. Not to mention the other issues like the original Slimer mech, outlane ball jumping issue, bent captive ball wire guide, etc.

#722 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

i've said this like 100's of times, and I think people don't know what the hell i'm talking about. They would rather throw money at mods, since mods is all they know.

Actually, I think people would rather expect Stern to have already acknowledged this problem and ship their games set up the correct way from the factory, rather then hammer some shit on their playfield to fix this issue. Sad there is a "mod" for this design problem to begin with. If someone is hammering on their new pinball machine and causes a problem, I doubt Stern will be there to fix or replace whatever was damaged while trying to raise the guides. Just my $0.02

1 month later
#865 3 years ago
Quoted from embryon:

I want to try different out lane pst settings to see how the game plays on my LE. The left hand post looks easy to move but the right one will hit a metal plate holding a plastic. This area is taken up also by the ramp. Has anyone moved this post and could you please explain what you had to do. If there's too much dismantling involved, I may leave that one. Thanks in advance

Can you take a pic of this? That sounds like a design flaw, and very stupid if that is the case.

#883 3 years ago

Out of the box on my LE, the Scoleri brothers work perfectly- no adjustments needed. I even have the stronger springs which I won't even bother installing. Maybe Stern has fixed them.

#903 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Yes, I just adjusted and tweaked slings further.....found my sweet spot!
Coils at soft did cut down airballs, and I think the last piece, the target and ramp cover plastic, will fix all,
or close enough.
I believe the excess air balls have been tamed with solutions!

What setting are your slings at? Mine are at 45 and they work great.

I had the coils on soft, but I think thats what caused the ball to stay in the poppers for almost 2 minutes the other day. Now they are on normal and things seem to be working fine now. Way too much popper activity with the Soft coil setting.

I need something to calm down the airballs off the left ramp though- its insane! Airballs over everything, and even right over the flippers! HUGE airballs.. way more then any other pinball machine I have ever played.

#904 3 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

To put an end to the huge airballs almost hitting me in the nuts I fixed up a quick plastic and used it to fill in the bare area in front of the city.
Not a single airball since!!
This is bound to help a little towards less ghosting I hope without the big hits .[att=3273664,749949 caption=

Wow - someone please make a plastic like this and sell to me! I will exchange cash for your efforts LOL

#913 3 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I made this as a one off by hand, but seeing that it works so well and People want to purchase ill look into getting a small batch laser cut, feel free to drop me line.
Art " oldpinguy" reached out and offered to hook up a Stateside manufacturer and help get some of these produced. First though a Digital file needs to be made for cutting.
Keep busting for now !

Here's what I did using a spare Star Trek LE Vengeance ship plastic.. totally rigged it up, but it has reduced air balls by 90%! I will use this until a better looking solution is available.

3411f8a3d1fc7b9661a4540a3f13f63ecb6e8d24.jpeg_(resized).jpg

277f50fc72e43804b74454e642a251e59c6c07f2.jpeg_(resized).jpg

#915 3 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Has anyone tried bending the ramp targets downward to try and help with airballs?

Yes- I tried that first and it barely helped. Putting a plastic above the ramp is the only solution for those crazy airballs.

#926 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

im getting two balls in the shooter lane a bunch of times. I think the ball is getting launched back into the trough, then shooting two out, or its not going all the way out then putting two the lane. Also, when the ball auto launches, it launches it too fast and it smashes against the back of the game or off stay puft, and even shoots it back down the shooter lane again. I set the coils to soft, which seems to help a bit, but still getting the two balls and time to time too hard of auto launches.

Also check the optos and make sure they are tightened down and aimed correctly. I've had an issue it thought a ball wasn't ejected properly and it ejected a second time, because opto didn't properly see the eject.

#937 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballlew:

That is not a Ghostbuster issue that is a Player issue LOL

I beg to differ, the gap kind of hurts the fun aspect of the game to non-professional players. My wife, kids, and friends didn't like the ridiculous center drains and initial impressions weren't good. Put the PBL center post kit and it made everyone happy. To each their own.

#946 3 years ago

The Pinball Universe Kit is a MUST. I makes it a much better pin. Has both outlane help and SDTM if you want. Best $42 you can spend!

Seriously man. It's crazy to see people force themselves to struggle with the gap and crazy lightning speed SDTM's and not use the center post kit. It's as if they are afraid to be made fun on here on pinside. It makes the machine more fun and it's still hard as hell. Why sit here and talk about getting rid of the pin when this $42 kit makes it much better for the casual player? My wife and kids play it no problem and have fun with it now that the kit is installed.

#951 3 years ago

I'll break into CrazyLevi mode here a little despite being in "the Honeymoom period" of GBLE.
Without that kit, I'd want to smash the glass.
The brutal outlanes and larger flipper gap do not mesh AT ALL with the speed and air balls from this game.
Boy it could've been brilliant, but without that kit, it's a really crappy experience compared to what they could have done.
I mean, we're talking TFLE carelessness, here, with airballs, and stuck balls.

Totally agree here dude.

Thing that sucks is that the PBL kit doesn't truly fix the balls hopping the lane guides either. I've had some great games going then boom, ball jumps over the lane guides and even PBL Lane guide extenders, straight into the drain. Totally brutal game at times. Without the center post to make it someone fair and even out the design quirks, I don't know how long I'd keep interested in it as it's just ruthless in the way it can end your ball.

#953 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Just finished a bunch of games with the wife!
First pin I have ever had that has given her the "Just one more Game" Feeling! Yes! Took a lifetime!
No More Airballs, stuck balls, and cheap drains!
Playing like it should....smooth and fast!
Happy household here playing away!

Nice !! Out of curiosity, what pitch do you have the game set at?

#980 3 years ago

The top guys at Stern have to be stressing out and losing sleep over this.

This game is a huge success and they were licking their lips with the sales numbers...

Now they see 60%+ playfields having issues that may need to be replaced.

The numbers are so high even their legal team is likely getting involved, because if they don't make it right something like this is elegible for legal action from customers.

I am hopefully it won't get to that point, but they really have to be stressing about how much money they were making off this game, to how much it's going to cost them to fix all these games they have kept shipping- even with knowing there was a problem this entire time.

#1002 3 years ago

The clear coat on the add a ball insert is now starting to crack. I guess we'll play the hell out of this playfield and watch it get destroyed, might make a better case to get Stern to replace the playfield.

JT might have to sign 250+ playfields again at this rate. They weren't kidding when they said it was an LE/Limited Edition model. I really hope its only limited to the LE's. Later on, no one will even want to buy a GBLE because of this ghosting problem.. they'll just buy a premium and not deal with it.

I know this will significantly affect their next major release, who is going to want to be an early LE adopter after all of this?

2016-08-08_21.13.57_(resized).jpg

#1006 3 years ago

Also starting to have lots of little issues like switches going out of adjustment and not registering, and now Slimer is registering shots automatically at times - only after about 100 plays or so. The build quality is extremely disappointing for a brand new pinball machine.

After being extremely pleased with my JJP Hobbit machine for the same price as this machine- I've decided no more Stern NIB, only JJP from this point on. If I want a Stern, I'll buy on the second hand market where I can fully inspect the machine before purchasing.

#1008 3 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Is your Slimer mech the original one? If nothing is coming out of the top of the plastic, it's the original one. If so, it will do that because the cable doesn't have enough space to curve. You can add washers under the plastic and that will give a little more space to curve as much as it should. That will help, but probably won't 100% fix it.

It's an LE so it has the "improved" one

#1013 3 years ago
Quoted from Monte:

Fantastic! Enjoy! Take a brake from Stern and this post.

Right on bro, what should I do with this brake, now that I have taken it?

brakes_(resized).jpg

#1052 3 years ago

Every one I've seen, including mine, is like this. Even the one in Flippers in NC (they have every Stern LE over the years).
Headscratcher.

I have a matching pair of rails. So stupid that they did this.. looks like they were short on parts and used some rails from the parts bin hoping people wouldn't notice or care.

#1082 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Thought I'd add to and update my ghosting documentation from the Real Ghostbusters thread here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-stern-ghostbusters-speculation-thread?tu=mt45#post-3272765
Back then I had just one ghosted insert ...
Sad to say today, just a short while later, I'm up to SEVEN total ghosted inserts. I sent an email to Stern more than a week ago.
No response. Not a peep. Dissapointing ...

Hey man - after a lot of emails, calls, posting on here, etc - Gary Stern personally called me today. They are aware of the problem and planning a "Program" that distributors/dealers will utilize to make all of this right.

Here's a link to my earlier post in another thread that goes over my conversation w/ Gary:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-stern-are-you-serious/page/65#post-3298045

#1089 3 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I too received a very nice phone call from Gary Monday evening.
I had sent a direct (but polite) inquisitive email about a week ago where I voiced my curiosity and concerns about the current playfield situation.
They are aware of everything and I was told a plan will be announced in the upcoming days. He was not able to go into details since I personally believe he wants his distributors to hear his plans first...then his customers which makes sense to me.
Based on my call, I could sense that he is taking this situation INCREDIBLY serious and has probably been pulling all nighters with his teams formulation the best way to fix the current problems and right the ship so they can quickly go back to cranking out new games.
-Ran

Awesome !!! Really happy to hear this.

Could you also post this conversation w/ Gary in the "Hey Stern are you serious?" Thread?

Thanks !

#1109 3 years ago
Quoted from atariaction:

Just got me GBLE last night. 396/500. August 2/2016 date on back.
Before turning on we checked all connectors and most of the nuts and screws on the topside. There were several connectors that needed to be pushed in fully and several nuts/screws that needed turns (not bad overall).
I did notice someone at the stern factory busted out the sharpie to cover up some damage to the head trim.
We played about 30 games last night.
Slimer: I do have "Slimer drag" and the beginnings of wear on the metal. He registers hits 97% of the time so I'm happy with that. Going to try the Mitch washer fix.
Ghosting: I see 2 inserts ghosting so far.
Drop targets: I needed to lower both of them as they were above the playfield a bit. No big deal. They drop just fine. No issues there.
Negative reinforcement insert: correct spelling
Guide rails: Not sure if mine are the original height or the new height but we had several balls hop over.
Full plunge feed: I do get some rejects but I think a green spring solves that from what I have read so no biggie there.
I did add mylar to the side rails to prevent the lockbar from damaging them.
Lollypop rails. I have the mismatched pair.
Odd issue: One time an airball got stuck on the left plastic. The ball save kicked in and the vibration freed it but shortly after the display read "resetting" or "shutting down" or something like that and the machine reset itself. At the time of the reset Slimer was to the far left which looked odd since I had never seen him that far left before. Not sure if that is relevant or not. After the reset, the high scores we had just put up were deleted. Anyone have this happen? and/or know what the heck happened?
Airballs: Check. Plenty of those.
Captive ball wireform: I think mine is fine. Can someone let me know if mine is the original gauge. I think I read newer GBLE's have a thicker gauge wireform.
Missing screw/washer: After about 5 games a screw and washer came flying from somewhere. 3 of us looked diligently for 5 min and could not find where they belong?
Subway ramp: So far so good.
Playfield damage: See the pic with the negative reinforcement on ESP ability insert. Not sure what is going on there?
Let me know what else to look for or if I missed anything. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Wow man. Terrible condition out of the box. Whatever is going on in that negative reinforcement pic is surprising- I can't believe this thing made it out of the door at Stern.

Definitely start the communication with your distributor about making this right.

#1130 3 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

heres what the playfield looks like when you try to move the outlane posts!

Pathetic. This is such a huge problem that I can't even fathom how long it will take to make this right with all of us.

3 months later
#1814 3 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

brand new replacement playfield

Whose your distributor? How did the playfield replacement go?

Besides a phone call from Gary Stern, nothing has happened with my shitty GBLE playfield. Trent from Tilt has no idea what's happening either except "keep waiting"

I sent an email to Patrick Powers and Gary Stern a few weeks ago and got no reply.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kpg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside