New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 158288)

Ghostbuster Issue Thread

By exflexer

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,469 posts
  • 528 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 149 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 713 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

SwitchStatus (resized).jpg
TroughSwStatus (resized).JPG
screen-capture-1 (resized).png
0255267F-B344-4A63-AF52-98DC3187BF9D (resized).jpeg
1331CF7A-01AE-4406-9820-04400DCCBD5F (resized).jpeg
4108cb973a95ea7af25aed4b17fca9ebd79e350b.png (resized).png
15FB2563-1183-47AE-9CAD-29E28F48CE76 (resized).png
3E7F33D8-B885-40E3-9F8B-D3DEB2864FFA (resized).png
A4C49F70-C0D9-4E25-BF1A-2B738D764708 (resized).png
360A39C8-0C7C-413F-A84E-F2F5E058E086 (resized).png
IMG_4482 (resized).JPG
Ramp Postr (resized).jpg
Ramp Post (resized).jpg
IMG_20200225_234132 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200127_105230 (resized).jpg
Node 8 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

55 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Opening post with OP's index of topics Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Post #11 Photos of original slimer design Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Post #426 Images showing the redesigned Slimer mech Posted by kpg (4 years ago)

Post #430 Pro manual updated to reflect the new slimer mech Posted by kpg (4 years ago)

Post #528 Photos of the Pinball Universe kit installed on GB Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Post #565 Link to Pinball Universe Upgrade kit (Germany) Posted by sirlonzelot (4 years ago)

Post #630 GB 1.05 code posted and readme details! Posted by PinB (4 years ago)

Post #662 Link to Pinballlife's alt springs for the Scoleri brothers targets Posted by exflexer (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phbooms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#380 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I'm a bit puzzled by the bent rail to the right of the ghost target. We played league last night where they have two GB pro's. I know on one the audits are around 600 games played and I would think similar numbers on the other one. These rails were not bent on either game. What's the root cause?

Look at the black roof over the newton balls end. Is it bent down at all?

#405 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Sounds like that pin is set up too steep. The two I play on location the right ramp works fine and have never seen the left scoop throw the ball down the center. And I've played them both over 50 times each.

I agree.

#417 4 years ago

Im in contact with 2 guys at Stern in regards to the wire rail and the newton ball black roof bending, both trapping the ball on some tables. Ive only had the wire rail bend in trapping ball but my roof is bent down also but not trapping ball. They didnt say anything about production but did say they were re engineering the newton ball roof and wire rail.

#419 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Did they also mention the re-working of the Slimer mech? Sounds like they are only re-doing the Slimer mech on the Pros, and not LE's.
I am interested to see what the new design is for the wireform & roof for the captive ball setup, last I heard engineering was looking into the issue but didn't have a solution yet. I'd assume this is why a lot of Pro's were delayed until July. It would be nice if there was an official PSA from Stern, but I guess this is good enough for now. I am very happy Stern is addressing this now, and not like how they have addressed the GoT issues.

No they didnt mention or ask about the slimer mech. Mine works good with cable zip tied down between the 2 wires so i didnt complain about it. Direct good hits always register for me and soft hits dont which i feel is how it should work, basicly no luck shots and when you do shoot at him you can feel whether or not it was a good shot even before it hits him. My slimer looks slightly to the left and everytime i try to make him look straight he goes right back to looking left.

#456 4 years ago
Quoted from flyusa007:

Yeah it does seem like a cost move or something. I emailed with them and they are very responsive and helpful. I actually offered to buy the new mechanism but they didn't say anything to that. I just thought it would be better for me to have the best mechanism or the newly designed one. I love my GB Pro and this is my first dealing with a new Stern pinball and I'm so happy with my game and their support so far. I have never owned a new game before and only older games from 70's and 80's. The new Spike system and light show is amazing. GB has such great sound. I'm looking forward to buying more games from Stern. I really like the look of the JJP games but they are so much more expensive and I'm not crazy about the two themes they currently offer. Whoever does a new Star Wars Pin I will definitely have to buy that one too!

Im trying to buy the new slimer mech also. Quite embarrassing when my friends play the game and slam slimer and he doesnt register. I tightened the springs by 10 or so loops for Scoleri popups and there working alittle better but they still shoot ball back at you just not as bad. Anybody know where to add washers to make them lean back some?

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from flyusa007:

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the drop targets. My two Scoleri pop up targets have worked perfect from day one. Guess I got lucky there. Yeah sometimes my slimmer still don't register either but he seems much better after moving the wire. I have noticed it takes a nice direct hit to him to make him register which I kind of like it like that. I have kind of been hoping he breaks so I can take a picture and Stern will send me new mech lol. Wish I knew a solution for your drop target problem. While I was waiting on my game to arrive I was reading through these forums and hoping I didn't have all these problems. Seems like most of them can be easily fixed though or are minor.

My drop targeys worked perfect first 50 games then started bricking shots and ball bounced over flippers everytime. Now that i adjusted springs they go down when hit but ball almost flys over flippers still. Slimer also used to work better. I moved the cable between the wires right out of the box. At first he would register on most good hits but has gotten to the point where 1 out of 6 hard direct shots registers. I talked to Stern today and was told to contact my distributor for replacement.

#464 4 years ago

Now im not sure what to think. I torn into the mech alittle and found that the metal plate with the nut somehow reads when the ball hits slimer. I initially thought the metal cable grounded into the metal plate to rgister a slimer hit but it doesnt. Can anybody explain to me how this metal plate reads when the ball hits slimer? I put it all back together and now he works on every direct hit. Not sure if they didnt have the long screws going up from bottom were loose and how long he will continue to work correctly.

20160520_135753_(resized).jpg
20160520_141514_(resized).jpg

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Can you try explaining it a different way? Your picture just looks like the Slimer mech, I can't see what is different.

He loosened the 2 top nuts. I dont see how this can help unless it made the metal plate move more. I can only see that helping if the 2 long bolts coming up through mech were loose from factory. Seemed that when i had it all apart when i would push the metal plate down it would register a hit.

Quoted from tpir:

Please do! I am reaching out to my distributor as well. I don't mind paying up but I am not going to deal with that old Slimer mech if I don't have to.

My distributor has contacted Stern to get me the new mech. Im CCd on email so we will see how it goes soon

#473 4 years ago

So i played a 4 player game by myself to activate slimer as much as possible. I thought i had it sorta fixed by tightening the 2 bolts running up through the mech but still doesnt work right. So i took the black cover completely off and played and he did seem to work better. So i put 2 extra washers under the cover to give cable more slack. See how that goes but at this point im over the defective mech.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'm sure Stern will make it right if you complain enough.
It's not just about a thicker cable they used- the design is completely different. On your mech (the older design) the cable pretty much just lays down and 'falls' into the hole of the mechanism.
With the new design, the wire is actually suspended perfectly flush in the middle of the hole, with that new anchor piece you see on the top plate now. That's the fix itself, that piece just holds the wire completely in the middle of the hole, vs it laying into it, bent. Customer support can tell you to adjust it all you want, by it laying in the hole and repeatedly hitting Slimer, it will just require you to re-adjust all the time as that cable will never stay in place properly. They need to replace *all* of the previous mechanisms in my opinion.
Example, cable laying into hole:

vs. anchor holding it perfectly straight and secured into middle of hole:

Your completely right! I was told by Stern it was done to put a thicker cable in but i see now that its a completely different design. Thanks for clarifying this to me. Now that ive had it apart almost a dozen times to make "adjustments" im just over the entire old mechanism. Hopefully now that my distributor has stepped in Stern will back up my warranty and send me the redesigned mech.

Plus my slimer is turned to the left and the leds barely shine on him. Sucks they put this defective mech out then not even a month later come out with full redesign. They should be contacting there distributors and sending out to every old mech owner a redesigned one.

#480 4 years ago

Quick update on new mech situation. So my distributor got through to Stern and Sterns response is the new mech is basicly the same as original with only a few parts different. They say there going to send the original part # 500-9989-00 out to me. i will be returning the parts if they do. Why would a company make a new designed part within weeks of release and try to act like the original isnt defective. Id be more then happy to pay for the new mech if that was possible.

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from adamgacek:

Just got my GB today and if I'm reading the posts above correctly, it appears that I have the new Slimer.
Put an extra ball in the captive ball track next to the ghost target and I'm about to fire up my first game.

Thank you for posting pic of new designed mech. Gave me more ammo to back up my claim against Sterns unwillingness to send me the new design. Now they cant tell my distributor that its the same basic mech and my distributor will back me up more with your photo.

Side note had my best game so far last night faulty slimer and all. 750 million and my buddy got 2 back to back 1billion games. Besides the games slimer Issue i love it!

#598 4 years ago

Pinball life will have the pinball universe kits in 2 weeks

#605 4 years ago

My games been playing good with tightened up springs on scoreli drop targets and washers added to slimer. Slimer reads 8 out of 10 good hits now average and drop targets drop without bricking ball over flippers now. The wire rail for book stacking has needed bent out 2x and is bent now but not trapping ball anymore, wondering if the wire rail on other side has bent alittle now but havent checked.

Gameplay is great when fully in the zone and tough as hell when not fully focused. 1 billion point games 2x on my table so far.

Now wheres that 1.05 code update?

2 weeks later
#688 4 years ago

Pinball life springs fixed the scoreli brothers. They dont brick anymore and drop easily with any contact. Longer spring in picture is old spring and way weaker then new spring

20160608_124514_(resized).jpg

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from Flato:

Wish I had ordered these with my pbu kit.....

I originally made the stock springs shorter but they still werent strong enough. These new springs are 3x stronger and made the scoleris fun again instead of "oh shit scoleris again", i was hating when they would pop up with stock springs

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Makes you wonder why Pinball Life had to figure this out and JT didn't when designing the game and play testing it. Not to mention the other issues like the original Slimer mech, outlane ball jumping issue, bent captive ball wire guide, etc.

No idea but id assume they didnt do any real testing. I solved all the issues you listed. Original slimer reads perfect with a few adjustments, outlanes covered with pinball universe clear pieces, added extra ball to book stacking captive ball, and the pinball life springs fixing drop targets. Ive only had the ball jump the flippers once with all the fixes, the ghost target that activates slimer shoots airball back if hit to hard. Maybe a padded target would fix it.

1 week later
#734 4 years ago
Quoted from Knox_Amusement:

Just received our springs. They feel way too strong. I fear the targets won't reset properly over time with them on. Wonder if there's a happy middle someplace. Have the decided to re-invent the drop target every time they make a machine?

At first the left drop target on mine would pop up and any movement on table would make it drop but after week or so of playing the target works right. The springs must stretch out some after they get some game time. Maybe can put the drop targets in up position overnight to help springs stretch quicker.

3 weeks later
#769 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I think some of the LEs shipped to Overseas still had low sitting guides. Earlier Production. The game I have has the total height of about 5mm off the playfield.
I bought the Laser Cut Cover set, just in case, but still plan on installing for appearance as well.

Just measured my Pro outlane guides. 15mm to the top of them and 10mm gap between them and playfield. I installed the clear outlane covers from pinball life and have had the ball push between the outlane and plastic cover 1x since installed a month ago almost.

#771 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Here's a pic of the Slimer bug. It happens almost every time he comes down. He leaves before the 3rd hit and you can't finish the mode. There's now way to deal with it other than to start a new game and hope it doesn't happen the next time or play around it (which sucks). It continues to play the "Chase Slimer Away" music from ball to ball, but ending the mode is impossible.

Have you tryed downloading the most recent code and reinstalling it on your game?

#773 4 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I have the most recent code, but I haven't tried a re-install.

Id give it a try cant hurt.

1 week later
#841 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not always. I'm playing an early run slimer on location today that direct HARD hits aren't registering. It's hard enough to light the modes, if he's not registering when you clip him and or hit him dead on at full speed, that's just too mean.

The cables to tight making it so the actuator plate can not swing downward enough. Easy fix. Center the cable between the 2 wires and use a twist tie not a zip tie and add washers under black roof plate. The cable needs to have play and not be pinched.

Also on the Pro during mball the modes stay active but on LEs maybe not but i havent played a LE yet

1 week later
#899 4 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

The one on the right. There were reports of that wire bending because of the ball hitting it when trying to shoot for the target that activates Slimer. Pinball Universe has even got a mod for it to prevent it and some people are also putting in a second loose captive ball to prevent it.
My wire is really massive so I wondered if Stern has changed the gauge of the wire.

Can you post a picture? Its not the wireform holding the newton ball, its the wire rail that is next to the ghost symbol.

#910 4 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

If you look 12 posts up (last picture) then you see the piece of metal right of the G H O S T targets. That piece is bending for some owners, locking in the loose ball that is behind the captive ball so the target cannot be shot anymore.

You misunderstood me. I was asking for you to post a picture of your wire rail so i can compare if its thicker.

3 weeks later
#1170 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Heres a fun one.
No issues on toobin insert. Left my glass off for 3 days working on it and the white lines on both edges are now there.
45 days in.
Humidity, with the glass off?

Glue curing and shrinking under the playfield and insert dropping maybe?

#1196 4 years ago

You want this piece from cliffy. This is before i repaired the shooter lane and installed the left cliffy.

20160706_115449 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from xyntec:

- In spook central mode I still had to make one shot but then started SF MB, and even when I made the shot it did not count, after MB ended the shot was lit again but I was just too late to make it, so I had to start the mode again, are the modes stopped during MB??

Was the one shot the left orbit shot?

1 month later
#1601 4 years ago

just received my empty box for playfield replacement from Stern

#1614 4 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Any photos you take to document this be great to see and would help others who have to walk through this process.

Sorry already packaged up and ready to ship in morning. Was really easy disconnect 3 wire connectors and pull the playfield. 6 pieces of foam from Stern, 1 for each corner and 2 for the middle and slide into the box.

Quoted from Hdmike444:

How bad was your playfield, I'm just curios what the replacement plan is, if the playfield needs to be trashed or are they going to swap all with ghosting, chipping etc.

I have 4 ghosted inserts with 2 of them dropping badly and they all keep getting worse overtime. Shooter lane and drain hole also are damaged.

1 week later
#1765 4 years ago

Just got a call from freight company that my replacement playfield will be delivered tomorrow. Thats way faster then i expected. So got the email from Stern 2 weeks ago that they were sending a box. Last Tuesday i think it was i dropped box off at UPS and now 1 week later replacement is already going to be here.

#1796 4 years ago

brand new replacement playfield

20161123_111014 (resized).jpg

#1799 4 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

** Notice the left scoop as an updated plastic extending over it. The tab is all green and not white.

i put tape under there like Todd Tuckey showed in his video.

#1804 4 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Am I seeing things or does your replacement field have the spelling error ?????

Yeah its spelled wrong just like my April playfield was.

#1816 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Whose your distributor? How did the playfield replacement go?
Besides a phone call from Gary Stern, nothing has happened with my shitty GBLE playfield. Trent from Tilt has no idea what's happening either except "keep waiting"
I sent an email to Patrick Powers and Gary Stern a few weeks ago and got no reply.

Automated was my distributor. Stern sent me a email saying they were starting replacement program and to expect a empty box to send back with my defective playfield. 5 days later got the empty box and next day sent it in with playfield. All in all it took about 15 days from email saying program was starting till i got my new playfield here.

Id recommend calling again and talk to Pat to see if they even started the LE replacements yet. I talked to Pat other day and he said they had a few Pros getting ready to send out in conversation but no mention of LEs so im just assuming they havent started replacing LEs yet since you havent heard anything yet.

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Has anyone mylar'd the scoleri brother holes.... not really into cliffys on those.

I did on my old playfield and will do it again once i get some more mylar.

#1915 4 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I did this last night and also adjusted the targets to be as flush as possible(they are flush in the front but down maybe a 1/32+ in the back)
My first game and I still get bricks! Any thoughts
And is anyone else's targets uneven on the top?

Try hooking 20 spring coils and see if that helps. Keep trying different amount of coils until you find sweet spot for your table. If they start machine gunning back off a few coils and they should be good then

#1951 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Can you tell me what issues you have read using the PBL replacements?

The drop targets on mine would machine gun with the PBL springs. It would usually do it during Storage Mball.

1 week later
#2061 3 years ago

REPLACEMENT playfield with 40 plays ghosting already...

20161213_161812 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phbooms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside