IMG_3996 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240328_211148666_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20240328_211151343_HDR (resized).jpg
closeup-ic-polarity (resized).jpg
PXL_20240328_000548967 (resized).jpg
17115827208782280267193227941655 (resized).jpg
20240314_090413 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

35 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #15 Coin reject image Posted by tomdotcom (11 years ago)

Post #16 Strategy Posted by tomdotcom (11 years ago)

Post #37 Easter Eggs Posted by pinster68 (11 years ago)

Post #78 Easter Egg - SUN (High Score) Posted by DeathHimself (11 years ago)

Post #124 Moon - Green Lit Insert - Diverter is Active Posted by Rum-Z (11 years ago)

Post #145 Castle Lock Ramp Adjustment Posted by Doot77 (11 years ago)

Post #158 PAPA video tutorial Posted by DeathHimself (11 years ago)

Post #266 Prototype Slingshot Plastics - Hex installed (Photos) Posted by GRB1959 (11 years ago)

Post #306 Left side Castle plastic - For Sale Posted by GRB1959 (11 years ago)

Post #378 BSD backbox LED chart Posted by MrBellMan (10 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7739 3 years ago

To test the Homepin 24" opto board VERY easily follow this:

(1) Remove board from machine
(2) Connect the two left pins of J1 & J2 with a jumper wire, short them together (see pic)
(3) Apply 12V to J3 (+ and GND are clearly marked on the board next to the connector)
(4) The green "Beam Test" LED should be ON
(5) If the green LED is NOT on, adjust the trim pot (centre of the board) about 10 degrees either way until the green LED DOES come on

If the above doesn't work the board is possibly faulty (rare but anything is possible).

If the board works as it should with the above test, you probably have faulty TX or RX opto devices, broken wires between them and the board, or faulty connectors in those wires.

It isn't easy to look at the TX LED glowing using a phone or camera as this circuit does not work in the usual manner. The TX LED is switched at approx 50% duty cycle and at about 40Khz (see pic) so the TX LED will be much dimmer than a standard opto TX/RX circuit.

Some might be wondering why the additional "Beam Test" green LED is mounted at an angle on this PCB - When the board is installed in a BSD, you are able to see this green LED through the open door and easily test the beam without even removing the glass (see pic).

This board is designed to be "stand alone" meaning it can easily be tested fully on its own and does not need any of the machines diagnostics to fault find.

Another point often misunderstood is this 24" beam uses standard opto TX and RX LEDs as used everywhere else in the machine. They ARE NOT special types at all, it is the way in which they are used by this circuit that makes the operation of the circuit different but the TX and RX parts are exactly the same so please don't go looking for "special optos" for replacements, they are just common types.

22705 (resized).jpg22705 (resized).jpg22707 (resized).jpg22707 (resized).jpg40k (resized).jpg40k (resized).jpgfromfront1 (resized).jpgfromfront1 (resized).jpg Added over 3 years ago:

*that's 10 degrees either side of THE FACTORY SET POSITION*

#7754 3 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

My new optos and Home pin board came ups today . so bench test was good with new opto parts . bench tested old Home pin board no dice . I wonder if i can send it in for repair .

Did you try the adjustment I mentioned in my previous post?

2 weeks later
#7795 3 years ago

A fuse needs to at least have one end free of the clips to measure with a meter.

Forget about measuring in circuit and also forget about "it LOOKS good" - that doesn't mean a thing, you HAVE to measure it with a meter set to resistance and it should come in well under 1 ohm - virtually a short circuit.

#7805 3 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

Anyone know the proper diode orientation across the shooter coil lugs? I’m guessing it should have one, unless someone before thought this was a convenient spot to just blob one on...
This thing just keeps coming up with hacks and surprises, haha [quoted image][quoted image]

The band end of a diode across a coil ALWAYS faces the 'hot' side. That is the side with the 50V supply voltage which is (in your example) the thick purple/yellow wire.

The diode hanging there on your coil is connected the correct way around without one end connected of course.

#7808 3 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

The game plunges without it, and I’m not getting any other switch errors...weird. I guess I’ll go ahead and solder it to the other side and see what happens.

You should measure it first to make sure it isn't shorted. Leaving it off can (and probably will) damage the driver transistor. If you have a new one just replace it - they are very common and cost pennies each. 1N4007 is what you want if you don't have one but a 1N4004 is as good if you have that.

#7815 3 years ago
Quoted from ky-pin:

i thought that the two lug coils don't require a diode because they are mounted on the board?

Technically that's correct but there is no harm, and arguably some good, that can come from adding a diode right at the source of the high back EMF.

3 months later
#8170 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I might take you up on that.

I saved a picture from a post somewhere in the distant past (below).

You can test the opto board for go/nogo simply by unplugging the two opto connectors and adding a shorting link across the two pins as shown.

Doing this will tell you if you have an opto fault or a problem on the board.

Picture shows a Homepin board BUT I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work exactly the same way for an original board.

Jumper Wire (resized).jpgJumper Wire (resized).jpg
#8172 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

The receive circuit is sensitive enough that you can also just lay a finger across all the pins. But even if this test fails in switch test, it doesn't tell you necessarily that you have a board problem. On the stock 24 opto board there isn't a beam test LED like on the homepin version so you could still have a connector/harness issue back to the main board. However you can hook up an LED to do the same thing between the col and row connector pins if you were testing the game on the bench.

Sure, but the pic I posted is a "quick & dirty" way of getting a go/nogo without any fuss and without even removing the board from the machine.

3 months later
#8545 2 years ago
Quoted from paulie484:

Tech question:
I believe I may have a faulty EMI filter
Can I use a 10A version over the original 5A version ?[quoted image][quoted image]

Absolutely no problem whatsoever to fit a higher rated part over the original. in fact, the machine (in the USA) uses an 8A mains fuse and that tells me straight away that the filter originally fitted (5A) is UNDERSIZED for the job and a 10A should have been used originally.

3 months later
#8758 2 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

By any chance would you have a link to the parts needed? (24 board home pin etc.)
Thanks in advance

https://www.pinballlife.com/24-opto-replacement-board-a-15646.html

$89.95

#8776 2 years ago
Quoted from BigGav:

Thank you. Im just following the wires and where they would be and going to purchase a new knocker and go from there

This one will work perfectly and it's only AU$22

https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/knr-001.html

knocker (resized).pngknocker (resized).png
6 months later
#9278 1 year ago
Quoted from LeeChaolan:

Thanks for the detailed info. I ran a switch test with everything back in to see and The Ball on Magnet T3 82 Opto is flashing between open and closed rapidly. If I put my hand in font of the beam it stops.

I found this somewhere;

"Short these two pins together to test this Homepin replacement BSD opto board. The green LED should light and the adjustment pot on the board can be fine tuned to ensure the green LED is solid."

It looks to me like this takes the optos out of the picture and allows you to set the board sensitivity or something like that without unknown or flaky optos or opto wiring and plugs causing possible problems?

22705 (resized).jpg22705 (resized).jpg

#9299 1 year ago
Quoted from paulie484:

I am looking at putting in some upgraded 5.25" speakers in my BSD

Why? The difference will be negligible to NONE!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pins4u.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bram-stokers-dracula-clubmembers-only?tu=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.