Topic Stats

• 6,932 posts
  • 574 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by Micky
  • Topic is favorited by 222 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,123 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

81187B63-C0AF-4214-BEF9-DB5726F9AAF0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190920_175215 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190920_174611 (resized).jpg
bsdglass3 (resized).jpg
bsdglassmirror (resized).jpg
bsdcpr (resized).jpg
20190831_104258 (resized).jpg
20190906_164519 (resized).jpg
20190803_052132 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
20190802_194328 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG
20190803_051548 (resized).jpg
20190803_051543 (resized).jpg
20190811_180226 (resized).jpg
bsdd (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

31 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 6932 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 139.
#1951 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:

Phishrace, awesome thanks that's what I kind of thought. I tested the shooter lane switch (with finger and a ball) in switch edge test and it works fine. Is it possible that it would still be flaky and not trigger the sound clip? I also sometimes get a switch 41 (ball trough) error. It appears the balls aren't rolling across the trough switches like they should sometimes. Could that contribute to the shooter lane switch problem maybe? Thanks everyone!

Likely your trough switch that is causing the issue. Check for grooves in the trough, magnetized balls and adjust/ replace switch 41. Remove the apron and roll a ball slowly over each trough switch while in switch test for starters.

#1952 5 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Likely your trough switch that is causing the issue. Check for grooves in the trough, magnetized balls and adjust/ replace switch 41. Remove the apron and roll a ball slowly over each trough switch while in switch test for starters.

So I figured out the intermittent ball plunge sound. I took the apron off and watched what was going on in the ball trough/shooter lane. So it turns out the solenoid that launches the ball is sticking after the ball launches which continues to hold the shooter lane switch down. The machine doesn't know the ball has launched and so the sound clip never triggers. Do you know what would cause it to stay out and not retract?

#1953 5 years ago

So I figured out the intermittent ball plunge sound. I took the apron off and watched what was going on in the ball trough/shooter lane. So it turns out the solenoid that launches the ball is sticking after the ball launches which continues to hold the shooter lane switch down. The machine doesn't know the ball has launched and so the sound clip never triggers. Do you know what would cause it to stay out and not retract?

Try cleaning it first. Replace the sleeve if it looks nasty. Make sure all the brackets are tight.

#1954 5 years ago

As AO already said, replace the coil sleeve and clean everything around the coil/solenoid very thoroughly. Whatever the coil sleeve is, get another 5-6 of them. Getting lots of coil sleeves in one batch makes shipping less painful. Most of the time, a machine has 5-6 of the same kind of coil sleeve.

#1955 5 years ago

So I have a new problem as of today when I was going to go try to fix my shooter coil hahha. When I went to turn on the game only half of the GI comes on! The whole lower half is out. It was working fine last time I had it on. I put in LEDs a few days ago, maybe that has something to do with it?

#1956 5 years ago

C

Quoted from MikeTangoIndia:So I have a new problem as of today when I was going to go try to fix my shooter coil hahha. When I went to turn on the game only half of the GI comes on! The whole lower half is out. It was working fine last time I had it on. I put in LEDs a few days ago, maybe that has something to do with it?

Check the connectors on the power board. Could just be getting crisply or need a reset. If they look good, check continuity...maybe you broke a wire when you were installing LEDs...

#1957 5 years ago

So I have a new problem as of today when I was going to go try to fix my shooter coil hahha. When I went to turn on the game only half of the GI comes on! The whole lower half is out. It was working fine last time I had it on. I put in LEDs a few days ago, maybe that has something to do with it?

One of the most common issues, j120 and j121 on the driver board, near the bottom left. You will see brown or black in the connectors. Repin with molex connectors and trifurcon pins.

#1958 5 years ago

Also make sure you didn't short one of the sockets to something else when installing LEDs. If you did, you may have blown the fuse for that section of GI and possibly blown all your LEDs (like I did).

#1959 5 years ago

Awesome! Thanks for the responses I'll look at all of those places.

#1960 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

C

Check the connectors on the power board. Could just be getting crisply or need a reset. If they look good, check continuity...maybe you broke a wire when you were installing LEDs...

Quoted from Atomicboy:

One of the most common issues, j120 and j121 on the driver board, near the bottom left. You will see brown or black in the connectors. Repin with molex connectors and trifurcon pins.

Man you guys are good! hahah. It was just as you said, the J120 connector. It was a little crispy (actually broke in half when i was pulling it out) and kinda burnt. I reconnected and wiggled the wires a little to test it out and the lower GI came back on. I will order some molex connectors. Thanks again!

#1961 5 years ago

Trying to get my BSD back in form, any help is appreciated.
I am having a couple issues related to the castle optos.
Ramp shots or secret passages are randomly triggering when the ramp is not hit.
This leads to extra points or bats starting on its own.
Also, the castle release post only works when 2 balls are in the castle lock.
If only one is there, the post drops and pops back up too quickly to allow the ball to release.
Are these issues related?

After some digging, it looks like the castle opto 2 was replaced at some point without a shielded piece.
In switch test, everything works as it should.
The castle optos have been working fine for about a year and have just recently started acting up.
I have attached some photos so you can see what I'm talking about:

image-3.jpeg
image-2.jpeg
image.jpeg

#1962 5 years ago

Woo whee. I can't imagine the patience it took to get that opto out of there if you left the habit trail in place!

#1963 5 years ago
Quoted from movingpictures:

Trying to get my BSD back in form, any help is appreciated.
I am having a couple issues related to the castle optos.
Ramp shots or secret passages are randomly triggering when the ramp is not hit.
This leads to extra points or bats starting on its own.
Also, the castle release post only works when 2 balls are in the castle lock.
If only one is there, the post drops and pops back up too quickly to allow the ball to release.
Are these issues related?
After some digging, it looks like the castle opto 2 was replaced at some point without a shielded piece.
In switch test, everything works as it should.
The castle optos have been working fine for about a year and have just recently started acting up.
I have attached some photos so you can see what I'm talking about:

Sounds like opto 1 is starting to flake out. Put it in switch test mode and start wiggling both the emitter and receiver around to see if you can get the switch to trigger. Chances are the leg of the diode has broken and is making intermittent contact due to vibration. You can also use your cell phone camera to see the light coming out of the emitter and if that goes on/off then you know it's bad.

#1964 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Sounds like opto 1 is starting to flake out. Put it in switch test mode and start wiggling both the emitter and receiver around to see if you can get the switch to trigger. Chances are the leg of the diode has broken and is making intermittent contact due to vibration. You can also use your cell phone camera to see the light coming out of the emitter and if that goes on/off then you know it's bad.

Just tried this and I cannot get the opto to trigger without properly blocking its path.
No amount of wiggling of the optos or the habitrail itself would cause a mis fire.

Any other suggestions?

#1965 5 years ago

Eureka!

Further prodding has just revealed:

Touching the solder points on the back the black part of castle opto 3 on the blue board causes a mis fire.
Is this the transmitter or receiver?

Plan of action is to reflow solder on the two points connecting the opto to the blue board.
Correct or no?

#1966 5 years ago

Sounds like a good start to me.

#1967 5 years ago

Intermittent optos means the optos (receiver and emitter) are both working, but there is a connection issue, which usually is the solder connections for the opto itself. Just reflow them all, all three, both sides, otherwise you’ll likely be doing it again soon for another. This should resolve the issue.

#1968 5 years ago

Hey guys, quick question. What all have you or would you chrome on your BSD aside from the usual lockdown bar, side rails, legs, and wire forms? Any smaller pieces specific to BSD?

#1969 5 years ago

I don't think there's really anything else metal on there other than the bars that lift the two ramps. Maybe the entry ramp itself?

#1970 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I don't think there's really anything else metal on there other than the bars that lift the two ramps. Maybe the entry ramp itself?

Good call on the entry ramp! I was watching pinballmiked's video on MB and he had chromed a bunch of extras like the metal stand offs, hex posts, etc. But there certainly seems to be less visible metal on BSD than on say MB.

Anything else?

#1971 5 years ago

Reflowed solder on the opto board and problem solved!
Even the disappearing castle lock post is functioning properly now.

One more issue to resolve to get this thing playing 100%:

The drop target.
Have a look at this - what a strange piece in the reset plate assembly !

photo-4.JPG

The issue I am having is the drop not falling with enough force to trigger the microswitch.
I have used a leaf switch adjuster to fiddle with the switch arm and haven't been able to get it to click.
I also notice the switch plate has some play and I can move it around.

Should I replace the microswitch or maybe it is the rusted spring not having enough tension?
I tried removing the spring so the drop stays up, but then you can't access video mode.

#1972 5 years ago

is the target rubbing against the slot in the playfield? if not remove the assembly and clean all parts,replace spring and reset plate. g.l.joe

#1973 5 years ago

Have a look at this - what a strange piece in the reset plate assembly !

A penny?! Yeah, I think that whole assembly is due for a rebuild when you see things like that. Get a new spring while you're at it.

#1974 5 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

is the target rubbing against the slot in the playfield? if not remove the assembly and clean all parts,replace spring and reset plate. g.l.joe

The switch arm seems to be floaty and besides not triggering, it also can get stuck on the drop target screw.

Quoted from aobrien5:

A penny?! Yeah, I think that whole assembly is due for a rebuild when you see things like that. Get a new spring while you're at it.

Where do you see a penny? That looks like a regular old fashioned house key.
Actually not all that much different than the pic in the manual (#8) ... hehehe

photo-4 copy.JPG

I will try to find the proper reset plate assembly, swap the spring, and probably a new microswitch as well.
That should work ... I hope.

#1975 5 years ago

marco should have the parts you need.check and see if the key is for the backbox.ha ha joe

#1976 5 years ago

Found the reset plate and spring, but the part # for the microswitch yields no results.
Can I use any standard microswitch ?

Thx

#1977 5 years ago

Where do you see a penny? That looks like a regular old fashioned house key.
Actually not all that much different than the pic in the manual (#8) ... hehehe

LOL, I didn't see the part sticking through the back. hilarious.

#1978 5 years ago

if you can remove the actuator arm you can. joe

#1979 5 years ago

Found the reset plate and spring, but the part # for the microswitch yields no results.
Thx

You silly goose.....

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-SMSB

#1980 5 years ago

Thanks

#1981 5 years ago

I also notice the switch plate has some play and I can move it around.

That play is at least part of your problem. Can't have any play. With the power off, and the playfield raised, reach around and knock down the drop target to determine the best position for the switch when tightened into place. Repeat if needed. You likely don't need to adjust (bend) the actuator. Just tighten the switch in the proper position. If either hole is stripped, you may need to replace the bracket or add nuts to the back of the screws. Either way, switch should have zero play.

Thx

Part number for switches are listed on the switch location page of the manual. And no, any old microswitch won't work. Needs the long actuator.

#1982 5 years ago

Thanks fishrace.
Picking up a new reset plate and spring soon.
Then I'll get to fiddling with your advice.
Cheers

#1983 5 years ago

Ok I need a few pieces on my bsd and figured id ask here first I need the plastic thats above the 3 bank targets below the pops and I need the plastic shroud behind the grave marker that covers the light houseing and wires . Pm me if you have extras thax

#1984 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ok I need a few pieces on my bsd and figured id ask here first I need the plastic thats above the 3 bank targets below the pops and I need the plastic shroud behind the grave marker that covers the light houseing and wires . Pm me if you have extras thax

I got the center plastic from Little Shop of Games, but they don't seem to have anything for BSD available right now, though maybe I was looking in the wrong place. Never used these guys before, but they seem to have that together with the sling plastics (which have also been tricky to get hold of in the past).

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/plastics-fuer-bram-strokers-dracula-p-768.html?language=en

Pick up some protectors for all those if you haven't already, as well. Broke the center plastic within three months of owning the machine and haven't broken one in years with the protectors on. It's worth it.

Don't know the last time I saw a shroud for the coffin anywhere, but if they're out there it would be cool to know about. Mine is beat up and could stand to be replaced.

Good luck with your hunt!

#1985 5 years ago

So, here's a fun idea.

Recently, I acquired a GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition. Needless to say, this lil guy has quite the video capturing power. Some of the videos I've recorded are simply staggering.

I'm thinking about doing some diagnosis videos for BSD and other games I own. Basically, as I fix a problem, I would do a video of the problem I had, the things I did to diagnose the problem, the solution, and location/fix of said solution.

Would anyone be interested in this? I am not going to be doing on a time interval basis; it will be "as it happens" kind of videos. I would also be doing this to demonstrate the GoPro's capabilities as it is EASILY the best hands free camcorder I have ever dealt with - period. Plus, with two hands free, it would be much easier to show and explain a problem, testing, diagnosis, prognosis, and eventual solution.

I did some recording of a game or two of BSD tonight in the dark with the GP on a head-strap unit, and if it wasn't such a shaky mess - because let's be honest, few of us remain 100% still when playing pinball - I'd upload it for everyone's enjoyment/chagrin/easy mocking of me. Next time, I am going to record with the lights on as I am sure it will be far easier to see the action of the game. I am considering getting a tall enough tripod for the GP, or maybe I'll mount it from the ceiling for a bird's eye view - how to do that I am still working on. If anyone has any ideas, please by all means, share! If I can find a way to mount the GP on the ceiling, I'd gladly do it and record a couple games for anyone's enjoyment/chance to criticize my playing/etc.

I've wanted to do something like this in the community for a little while now. Originally, the GP was bought for other things like car videos, but I got to thinking about its use in pinball, and I figured why not. Didn't cost too much for the accessories I needed - mainly the head mount unit.

I'm uploading a preview video of the GP at 1080p @ 24 FPS. It is going to take a while, so I'll post it in the morning. It will give an idea of the video quality that I would like to become the standard when I record future videos.

#1986 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Would anyone be interested in this?

Hell yeah!

#1987 5 years ago

hi new pin , put in the search box - the pinball camera rig club. joe

#1988 5 years ago

Thanks for your responses, guys !

Here is the sample video at 1080p, 24 fps. This sucker by itself was 307 megs o_O ...

#1989 5 years ago
Quoted from joe2012:

hi new pin , put in the search box - the pinball camera rig club. joe

Thank you! To PinballHelp's credit, I am going to do this setup:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-pinball-camera-rig-club-tips-on-building-and-shooting-pinball-videos#post-1095650

#1990 5 years ago

Got my clear coffin ramp plastics from Jason. No longer rejecting any of the shots!
Finally my beloved BSD works as it should.
I had to remove the whole coffin to assemble it, but that is a small price to pay.
1 hour later I was on my way.

Now onwards to a question. I have the lightning flippers on my game. My best score is 100 mill.
A weak score.... So my question, should I replace the flipper bats with ordinary ones?
Or just practice more?
I know that the game is too brutal for my GF and friends.
So I am think of doing that to make it more enjoyable for all (myself included)
What would you do?

Axl

#1991 5 years ago

Changing the flippers doesn't take long, so why not swap them out for blood red bats and black rubbers? I think that was the combo it was designed to have. Someone will chime in with the correct combo I'm sure.

You can always go back to the lightning flippers if you start cranking out 1 Billion plus games on the regular.

#1992 5 years ago

N0s is correct. Do what makes it most fun for you. Blood red bats aren't easy to find though.

#1993 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Got my clear coffin ramp plastics from Jason. No longer rejecting any of the shots!
Finally my beloved BSD works as it should.
I had to remove the whole coffin to assemble it, but that is a small price to pay.
1 hour later I was on my way.
Now onwards to a question. I have the lightning flippers on my game. My best score is 100 mill.
A weak score.... So my question, should I replace the flipper bats with ordinary ones?
Or just practice more?
I know that the game is too brutal for my GF and friends.
So I am think of doing that to make it more enjoyable for all (myself included)
What would you do?
Axl

Put the regular blood red bats on....lightning bats weren't intended for it.

#1994 5 years ago

Hey guys

I'm looking to LED my BSD.
Anyone willing to share some pics.

I'm looking for some inspiration.

I like to do my lighting set up custom and not use a kit.

Thanks

M

#1995 5 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

Hey guys
I'm looking to LED my BSD.
Anyone willing to share some pics.
I'm looking for some inspiration.
I like to do my lighting set up custom and not use a kit.
Thanks
M

I suggest you search this thread.

#1996 5 years ago

It's 40 pages!

#1997 5 years ago

But yes I will continue searching.

#1998 5 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

It's 40 pages!

Topic search at the top of the page allows you to search within the thread so we don't make it 80 pages by reposting all the info again.

#1999 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Topic search at the top of the page allows you to search within the thread so we don't make it 80 pages by reposting all the info again.

Holy crap ...... do you know how many times I've perused this thread looking for something....going through like 36 pages D: ???? I had no idea you could search within a thread

#2000 5 years ago

Quick question guys, which pivot nut is correct for BSD?

IMG_20140922_185001_063.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Sale Pending!
Sunset, SC
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carlyle, IL
There are 6932 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 139.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside