FE32B561-36C0-434E-99FE-0AE190539E98 (resized).jpeg
20240421_113637 (resized).jpg
20240421_113742 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
A2C5810D-0FBA-475E-AEB2-2CB8350FF12B (resized).jpeg
788F7707-7AC0-4755-B0B8-C5C3A2B47980 (resized).jpeg
4A517E8A-0288-4AB1-8AAF-BA383D4907E9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #91 Rush song list Posted by Bill2112Rush (2 years ago)

Post #1378 RULES. Link to RUSH Rulesheet Posted by Av8 (2 years ago)

Post #1389 TECH: SWITCHES. Lockdown bar action button not working - fix Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1818 MOD: SOUND. Amp DIY upgrade for RUSH Posted by TinyBlackDog (2 years ago)

Post #2123 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Shooter lane adjustment to stop rattling ball launch Posted by Coyohtay (2 years ago)

Post #3107 TECH: SOUND. Headphone Jack no-boot when installed workaround Posted by AUKraut (2 years ago)

Post #3632 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Scoop losing track of balls. Posted by Schwaggs (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11308 1 year ago

Hello all! I'm considering picking up a Rush Pro and was wondering: How many people here love the game but aren't big fans of the band? I think Rush the band is fine, but I'm not a "big fan". The pin has shot well when I've played it, and I figured it'd be something different to own.

Also, I've seen mention of color blindness making it a bit harder to play. I've red/green color blind, and really hate not knowing what I'm shooting at Wonka has been a bit frustrating at times.

#11316 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Have you tried the EnChroma glasses? Seems like they would give you enough color separation to be able to enjoy both games.
https://enchroma.com/collections/indoor-color-blind-glasses
The Panoramic XL version of the indoor glasses are down to $183 right now:
https://enchroma.com/collections/indoor-color-blind-glasses/products/panoramic-xl-matteblack-cx1indoordt-plano?variant=39658212261951

I took their online test a few years ago to see if I'd be a good fit. "Unlikely" was the result, despite knowing how cool it'd be to say "Excuse me while I put on my Pinball enhancement glasses..."

2 weeks later
#11700 1 year ago
Quoted from finman2000:

Rush is not in the production plan for 2023. Interesting decision...

It seems like there's plenty of stock everywhere. There's no point in making more if there's no need, and people are still clamoring for other pins that aren't available.

#11766 1 year ago

Alright folks, I'm one day and twenty games into my Rush Pro. First off, I think the music of Rush is fine, but I've never been "into them". John Borg is my favorite current designer (goodbye Pat, happy retirement, come back soon!). And, I've played hundreds of pins and owned about a dozen or so. This one is somehow different, but I can't put my finger on it.

Previously, I played maybe ten games on it at a show. That's it. My new mode of buying pins is "I wonder how that will feel playing at home. Let's find out". I have no idea what I'm doing when I'm playing, other than "hit the blinking shots". Yes, I have the Tiltforums rulesheet printed and ready to read...when I yield. Maybe in a week, maybe more. I like to figure things out myself to start, but this one is still quite a mystery to me.

This pin feels GOOD. Like, "I don't understand why it feels -this- good, but it does." Better than any Stern I've played in the last few years. Now, I know I'm high on that New Pin Feeling, but this is different. Despite still not really knowing what I'm doing, everything feels satisfying. Especially the dead-end shot. Why does that shot feel so good? Don't know, don't care. It does. I've played a hundred games on Godzilla and have never felt this good shooting the ball around. And Godzilla is The Greatest Game Ever Made, And Ever Will Be, Amen! (or so I'm told)

So anyways, there's my $.02. I know you all like the game, otherwise you likely wouldn't be on this thread reading these words. I like the game, too. But there's something...different...that I'm especially loving. And as I look up at the 236(!) pages of existing thread, I just remembered this is the first pin that I didn't read the ENTIRE owners thread before buying. Maybe you're all gushing all the time. Maybe this is all old news. Maybe it's my Bourbon Pear Cocktail talking. Whatever it is, I'm happy I discovered this pin. Game on!

1 week later
#11906 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Absolutely.
My worry is we do see some weakness in sales for machines so I wonder if things will pick up, or if we have seen a top in pinball demand?

I don't want to derail this thread into a "pinball bubble" thread, but think about where pinball demand was 20 years ago. And then 10 years ago. And then 5 years ago. It's skyrocketed. Could it continue to skyrocket? Sure. But when interest in established things skyrocket, it historically has dropped sharply at some point. This isn't a comment on pinball, just simply the ebb and flow of the popularity of already established things.

#11945 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Eventually I most likely will get a Pro. Love the game, love the band. Next pin will probably be a Spooky. Always wanted a TNA or Rick and Morty. Don't get me wrong, Stern has made decent games in the past, but I kind of feel they have lost their soul as of late.

As someone who sold a Halloween and bought a Rush a month later - good luck. You're selling a Toyota to buy a Saab. Their customer service is extra responsive, which is great because their pins are poorly engineered and built. Fun games? Yes. Lots of soul? Yes. Made well? Well....

#11992 1 year ago
Quoted from johnnytruant:

It was actually direct from Amazon without a 3rd party seller, if you can believe it (I had a ton of rewards points, + free shipping and 5% back from my CC). Sat on the listing for a couple months until I saw one pop up a few weeks ago.
I saw Cooltoy's video on his simple/pain-free experience buying a pin on Amazon and thought I couldn't go wrong:
It is interesting though, at some point this 300lb box has to surface somewhere... right?
I was just taken aback by the admission from Ceva that they had been trying to find it for the past few days but have zero idea where it is, and that there was nothing else they could tell me. Sort of reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where the dry cleaner finally admits he shrunk one of Jerry's shirts.

Be careful about that 5% rebate from the CC - I find it doesn't apply to these pin purchases. If you look at the pics, the 5% back is clearly showing on the chair, but not the pin. If you see one with that 5% rebate, I'm all ears!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
#12004 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I think the difference is the GZ is not sold by Amazon. The stern store ones are sold by amazon, so probably would qualify, but they drop out of stock pretty quickly.

Every single pin I've seen so far (including all the ones showing up in "The Stern Store" today and days previous) is lacking that 5% rebate label. There was a Godzilla Premium in the Stern Store for $9k a few months ago that got me VERY excited considering the 5% rebate...but the rebate wasn't listed.

If they ever have it, I'm...you know, quite interested

#12026 1 year ago

I think I fixed it, but I'm still curious to hear input on this. During a manual plunge the ball appeared to veer left into the upper right flipper about 30% of the time. I think I found the culprit - my plunger was misaligned a tiny bit to the right. I've adjusted the plunger and now it is 98% better. My question though is: What's really making the ball appear to make a hard left into the flipper? There's nothing on the right to bounce off of. The guides on the left are positioned correctly per the sticky at the top of this thread. I can't figure out what would cause that veering.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HHhGc1V_98eGTJkSD2f_DfHU3SbFuKbn/view?usp=sharing

#12031 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

The pro vs premium discussing rages in every modern Stern forum. I think for Rush, both fantastic games.

I think this is almost always the case. I haven't found a Premium yet that I thought was leaps and bounds better than a Pro, but it's an option for people which is great. I will say I just discovered last night that the dead end shot on the Rush Premium doesn't naturally bounce back to the flipper. I LOVE that shot, and just seeing it shoot up the habitrail makes me sad after having played the Pro. Again, thankfully we have choices!

#12076 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

The ninja lights are just amazing, cant believe how cool they are. One piece of advice, instructions say get someone to help you install the light strips, I didn't, but help would of made it a 15 minute install.

I would have replied sooner but I was busy seizing. Those look cool, but I wouldn't be able to stand watching someone play a game like that!

#12158 1 year ago
Quoted from trt8ian:

Hope this is not too off topic, but I would like opinions of Rush owners. Had my Rush LE for over a year and LOVE it. It’s my first pin, and my question is, is there other pins out there as cool and challenging as our Rush? Thinking about picking up a second. Any theme is a consideration, thanks.

Many! My biggest recommendation is to play them first. Others here recommended Iron Maiden, but for me it's near the the bottom of modern pins. John Borg designed this game - you may want to check out his other pins. I just sold my Metallica Pro and that's a Top 5 game for me.

#12206 1 year ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

My question is on the reworked scoop. It seems overly tight with the 2nd gen stern protector on there. Is there a way to open it up a little more?

I thought the same thing when first I saw it, but I've found it to be a surprisingly open shot as-is. Have you played it yet?

4 weeks later
#12702 1 year ago
Quoted from ian866:

No offence, but why did you continue to spend money with a company who you perceive to be not taking your claim seriously ?

I think that's a reasonable question that I ask myself often. For me, almost every manufacturer has been hit or miss for service (Spooky has been the only one that's been 100% great) but especially Stern. And yet, I still buy NIB from them despite swearing "Never again!". Why? Because it's either "Give that company who serves me poorly my business and get their game, or not...and not get that game". And they have games I really really want that I can't get used for a reasonable price. Contrast that to Ford and my local Ford dealer who did a TERRIBLE job with a new car I had - I plan to never buy a new Ford or use that dealer ever again. But it easier, because there are so many other options that I want equally or more.

I imagine when the used market calms down a bit I'll be more used-exclusive.

1 week later
#12792 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

One of the challenges with the cube ones is it's not as obvious to get it 100% parallel to the slope of the playfield. Rotate it even ever so slightly, and it will read off

This can't be stated loudly enough. I rest it on a trimmed paint stirrer across the flippers to make sure it's 100% parallel. I find eyeing it to be extremely difficult.

#12846 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Metallica has always been my longtime fav Stern but RUSH is slowly creeping… just a fun, well rounded excellent game.

I sold my Metallica and a month later bought my Rush. Metallica is a top 3 game for me, and I still love it. But I feel like Rush is like a warmer, fancified Metallica - a lot more going on, and super flowy.

#12875 1 year ago

I have a specific question the Premium owners here: Do you -like- the features of your Premium? Not to be confused with "do you like the pin overall", I mean do you like the clock, the moving ramp, etc? With most pins I actually like the Premium upgrades, but specifically on Rush the moving ramp and clock do nothing for me, and the changing of the dead end shot to the upkick-into-habitrail I actually like less.

And, this isn't trying to bash on Pros vs Premiums - I'm just trying to get people's opinions about the Premium features of the pins they own and see if there's something I'm missing.

#12900 1 year ago

So I was trying to figure out what awarded an extra ball and saw that "eight ramp shots" would qualify it. I didn't believe it, because eight ramp shots would be waaaay too easy. So I decided to test it out.

And yeah, after trying non-stop for half an hour, I can confirm it's true.

#12917 1 year ago
Quoted from doublestack:

And most of us still laugh and just shake our head.

Shooter lane pics were the first sign of the home rich guy collectors that came into the hobby years ago. No one ever cared what the shooter lane looked like before the LE crowd came along.

I think it's just one more piece of the Condition Puzzle, like number of plays. There was an Aerosmith for sale recently that was showing 2k plays...and a horribly, blackened beat up shooter lane. Clearly the number of plays wasn't accurate. Or, they cranked up the trough power to hear it eject over the cranked up music (that's a thing, right?).

#13104 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Right, you wish everybody would stop buying toppers. So you can buy a topper.
That's not how it works!!! If everybody stops buying toppers, they'll stop making toppers.

He didn't say he wanted everyone to stop buying toppers, he said -overpriced- toppers. And if everyone indeed did do that, they'd simply offer cheaper toppers. But, that's not what the market wants. They clearly want $1700(!) toppers.

Quoted from Schwaggs:

Just because it has a motor and some pulleys shouldn’t make it a $2k topper.
I’m hoping $1k or less with that BOM.

I think topper pricing has less to do with BOM and more to do with what they can sell it for. Unlike a pin, I think they could sell these toppers for half off and still make excellent money. But instead people are gobbling them up for $1700. And if they sell out quickly, they're not going to be "only" $1700 next time. In the general world of irrational valuing and pricing, I put pinball toppers near the top of the list.

#13160 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Dude, this is true for all things pinball (and really for everything over the long term). The BOM is irrelevant to the final price of the machine.

The manufacturers bet on how much we will pay for a machine. From that they calculate the margin they want. Whatever is left is what is available for the BOM.

This is only slightly simplified/hyperbolized.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Demand and BOM both effect the pricing, but differently for toppers and pins.
I think if the BOM of a Stern Pro goes up 10%, they'll be increasing the price mostly BECAUSE of the BOM.
I think if the BOM of a topper goes up 10%, it will be irrelevant - they'll be increasing the price mostly based on what they can get for it.

2 weeks later
#13584 1 year ago
Quoted from brzezicki:

I"m thinking of putting some foam on the metal behind the through to stop it from bouncing. but just wondering if everyone's eject goes STDM or if it's just me?

Mine does this maybe 20% of the time. No visible broken welds, everything feels tight, but I haven't tried the "turning it counterclockwise from underneath" exercise. I guess that's next.

#13619 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I've been noticing sometimes in multiball I'll lose one of my balls when the scoop shoots it down the middle because the ball save is not active on the scoop eject during multiball

Am I the only one that has a magical machine that DOES have the ball save on during multiball? Pre and post update. I've heard several of you say and confirm it shuts off during multiball, but I can tell you with 100% certainty my ball save indeed works during multiball. Often, to my unwarranted benefit. Perhaps it's because I increased the time from 1s to 2s?

#13681 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

Ok…I’m posting this just as a discussion…I’m not complaining. I absolutely love this game!! I’m a very average player but I did the update and read that it was suggested to reset the high scores. My GC was 958 million. I reluctantly reset them. Now….I can hardly get to 100 million!! Maybe I really do suck but it’s frustrating. Or maybe it’s just a run of bad luck. I’m using the same strategy for as before. My question is, is the adjustment of the scoring that drastic? What is the reason for them to adjust the code and scoring so drastically? I own several modern Stern games and have did numerous code updates. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one downgrade points so much. Maybe I just don’t understand how code is written and adjusted for scoring.

I haven't seen any difference in my scoring, but I'm also paying zero attention to record colors as I'm color blind and it's quite difficult to keep track of. Your drop seems drastic! 100B doesn't seem very high (no offense). Just for giggles, try focusing on "getting good" at just one thing to see what happens. I love activating the drum by dropping the three instrument targets, hitting the pops a million times to increase that value (my record was around 500k/pop) and then getting the ball behind the top right flipper to start that scoring. 500k a pop can lead to some big scores fast! Who needs colored records!

I know you're not asking "why isn't my score higher in general", but maybe you were (inadvertently?) chasing high scores via some scoring that they've diminished. After a few dozen game I'm not seeing it here for me.

#13788 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Maybe I'm just old, maybe I'm just cheap, but maybe I'm simply one of the sane people here...
I think the game sounded just fine from the factory.
I did upgrade the backbox speakers by swapping in the speakers out of my Rick & Morty, after I found a pair of slightly larger, brand new speakers at a thrift store for $7.50/pair that would fit in R&M but not in Rush. I also hooked up a sub, another thrift store find. I will admit it sounds noticeably better, and for under $20. I'm completely happy with it.
However, I have trouble entertaining the possibility that a $400 aftermarket speaker/amp setup would sound twenty times better than that!
Sorry, but I have to wonder how much of the claimed improvement in sound is attributable to good ol' confirmation bias. On my setup, too, sure, but especially on a game where someone just spent a pretty penny on all new speakers and an amp. It's just too reminiscent of goofy audiophiles claiming vinyl is superior, tube amps sound better, that kind of thing. You guys do realize this music is played back from digital, right? The horror!
Though I suppose $400 is a drop in the bucket in this age of toppers approaching two large. (Don't get me started on that goofball thing! Couldn’t they have at least made the gears not move so spazzily and sloppily? Looks dumb to me... I have several EMs that cost me less combined than that topper would!)
I don't think I want the expression lights, either. They flash along with the music, right? Well, I have enough trouble concentrating on pinball while such great music is going, trying not to lose balls due to excessive "air drumming" on the flippers. That would be all I need, being sucked into the music even harder with an excellent but extraneous light show!
In summary, when I want to just listen to Rush, my go-to device is certainly not my pinball machine!

The way I see it is the upgraded speakers will absolutely sound better. Costing 5% of what the whole machine cost, would it add 5% more enjoyment? Maybe, but not likely for me.

I've had killer audio systems at home and in my car, and this is what I've come to realize: Once you appreciate and get used to something, you care an awful lot less about upgrading it. I don't imagine people who have only heard a modern stock pin saying "Man, this really needs to sound better." Just like how practically nobody bought a pin and thought "Man, you know what this needs? Something on top of the backbox." without first seeing toppers. I don't fault anyone for wanting those things, but the fact that they're hyped up and normalized in our circles absolutely effects our impressions of them. For me, the only real exception is bass you can feel. During every game of a bass-heavy pin (Heist and Halloween come to mind), I appreciate it. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if everyone's upgraded sound slowly reverted back to stock over time, few would notice.

#13809 1 year ago
Quoted from upsfeedr:

Just was wonder what does Everyone have the flipper power set at?
thanks

Stock, and everything feels perfect.

#13916 1 year ago
Quoted from brzezicki:

I doubt the old rails are worth much I have 3-4 of them taking up space in my basement from when I used to swap out all my rails with the full armor.

You may want to post this fact in the JP Home Pin owners forum. They've been known to trim them and use them. I don't know if they're economical to ship, but they may find homes there.

#13934 1 year ago

When I see all of you get excited and you can't stop talking about buying $140 (or $180!) shooter knobs, or $1700 toppers, I shake my head and think "Wow, this is absurd and ridiculous!".

Then I remember I excitedly own and can't stop talking about my half dozen pins worth $3k-$11k/each, and I'm sure many of my friends and family shake their heads and think "Wow, this is absurd and ridiculous!".

Thanks for the perspective, mirror!

#14051 1 year ago
Quoted from kool1:

Well if it's all true the last few NIB around will probably get snapped up soon.

I think a reason they're possibly discontinuing them is there's likely more than "a last few" out there. Automated has had stock continuously for months.

Quoted from Boslaw:

For mine personally, it’s due to heavy ribbing. You can find a few posts from me earlier in the thread about this. Stern promised me a new playfield last August but I can’t get any status on when I’ll receive it despite repeated emails from me and my distributor.

It took me two years to get a replacement playfield for my BKSOR, with many false updates along the way. I wish you luck!

#14106 1 year ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

I know this has been talked about and I have tried some fixes in the past. What are tips to dial in the scoop so it decreases the amount of time it shoots straight down the middle.

I loosened the mounting screws, rotated it hard, and tightened them. Zero improvement.
I placed some washers underneath the scoop to "definitely" fix the problem. That seem to help for about 20 ejects, now it's back to STDM half the time. (I haven't checked underneath yet to see if those washers shifted, but that's unlikely)
It seems inconsistent, and a bit frustrating to "fix" it over and over and continue to have the same problem.

#14137 1 year ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Have you taken a look at lowering the eject power some to see if that has any effect?

Turned it down. Turned it up. It changes it, but it doesn't make it any better. I'll have to look into the bending method, but as I try to imagine the surrounding metal this seems like the wrong place for that. Orbits, yes. Here, I'll be curious.

#14154 1 year ago

ANOTHER observation/solution regarding STDM scoop ejects: The coil that shoots the ball out of the scoop isn't 100% square with the scoop (at least on my machine). If the plunger isn't hitting the ball straight up the scoop to begin with, that's a bit of a problem. I loosened the screws to not only the scoop but also the coil and firmly rotated them to be as inline as possible. It was miniscule movement, BUT, it's now working 100%. I also removed the washer solution and put the power back to 185.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
#14240 12 months ago
Quoted from madangelo:

other than the new shooter rod that I am waiting for, I'm pretty much done spending money on machines and accessories.

We understand where you're coming from. We know your heart is sincere. Having said that, here are three immutable facts:

1) You're a liar, liar.
2) Your pants are on fire.
3) Said pants are hanging. On a telephone wire.

#14349 12 months ago
Quoted from Big_Whoopin:

OK, I missed this. Stern has an official "fix" for the inner loop? I mean, I'm working fine with the Ninjacamp one and have the bigguybbr design already printed in case I want to try that, but I hadn't heard of Stern releasing anything. Have a kit number?

Yes, it works great. No, I don't have a part number. Something that (oddly) no one seems to talk about is if you have an issue with the pin, Stern will actually help you. They have that inner loop fix. It takes less than five minutes to install, and has worked 100% for me since installation.

On one hand, I'm always amazed people will buy a $7-$10k piece of equipment and then spend more money fixing issues vs putting it on Stern. On the other hand, I got sick of trying to "fix" the rattly plunge and bought the $20 mod. I hated doing that, but it's a 98% fix and no more contacting Stern about "is my shooter rod aligned".

#14517 11 months ago
Quoted from flofixer:

Although I could easily afford to buy the topper, I probably wouldn't feel good about paying close to 20 percent of the cost of a machine (maybe more if you bought a pro) for an accessory that would only cost 200 to 300 dollars to produce.

I agree 100% and I think your logic is, indeed, super solid. If others really, truly find value in it (or any other purchase) that's great, have at it. But it appears a lot of people -don't- see the value, and yet are still buying it. Well, toppers and lots of things in the world in the last few years. But spending 20% of the core price of an item on an "upgrade" is rarely worth it to me.

Having said all that, around 2010 I did put a supercharger on my 2000 Miata, which was probably 30% of the value of the car. Worth every penny!

#14560 11 months ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I wish I'd hear something from CoinTaker....

Famous last words from several people I've talked to in the last year or so. I used to do a majority of my business with them but it's hard when the communication is so poor.

#14608 11 months ago
Quoted from tominator:

I also ordered an EL kit when they were announced. Was told “late April “… still no kit.
I am in Canada though so maybe the sled dog team is slower than usual getting it here.

Well, it's less of a team and more of a dedicated individual.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14610 11 months ago
Quoted from Drussksu:

I love them too. I have them on my Led Zeppelin which is also my all time favorite pinball machine.

Wait, YOU'RE the one guy that loves LZ?

Kidding aside, I'm curious how/why you like it. I've only played a dozen games on location and liked how it played, but I understand not everyone likes an open playfield.

#14746 11 months ago

Doubled my previous post-update high score tonight. Proof that even if you're color blind, have a difficult time knowing the rules, and still don't understand the "collecting records thing", you can Escape the Black Hole in Cygnus X-1 IF your superpower is "keeping multiballs alive".

PXL_20230531_032749300.jpgPXL_20230531_032749300.jpg

#14810 11 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Agreed. Mine arrived undamaged, but it sure isn't packaged in any way shape or form to go through a shipper packaged the way it is. There's just foam on the ends (kind of) and bottom. Nothing on top. It should either be packaged protected completely or be put in another box with packing peanuts or similar.

I've received NIB pins from Stern with literally no packing on the bottom. Just wood against cardboard. It was a miracle that it arrived unscathed.

1 week later
#15065 11 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Sorry to piggy back off of this, but I just got the game. Are there times when the ball is " supposed to" just go through the Time Machine without it being caught by the magnet? I see that happening sometimes.

I don't think I've ever seen the ball cleanly shoot through the Time Machine without at least an attempt to grab it.

#15122 11 months ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

Howdy guys. Experiencing a weird problem and curious if anyone else has seen it.
Pressing the action button does not switch the lanes. It makes the noise but the flashers do not indicate a change, nor does the coil fire. Everything checks out nominal in test.
Thanks!

In case it's not clear (like it was for me the first few times): When you press the button, the playfield lights "swing" from side to side, I -think- there's a noise, but the coil won't fire to actuate the gate until the ball is up there. Then it fires as-needed.

2 weeks later
#15406 10 months ago
Quoted from ExSquid:

Found it ! Look pretty straight forward .

If you're super nervous about any repair/modification, just take a picture of Every. Single. Part. at every step. Remove a nut, take a pic holding it next to where you removed it. Then keep going. When you're reassembling, just look at your pics in reverse. It might be overkill for most, but it makes it incredibly difficult to get stuck in the process.

#15463 10 months ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I’ve set a precedent from day 1 with no drinks in my game room.

I read and re-read this several times and still don't understand.

#15553 10 months ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Happy to join fellow Rush owners. I picked up a Premium last Friday. Loving it!
It’s been playing great. I think my only issue so far is the right orbit. I would say 50% of the time the ball gets hung up on the area where the upper flipper orbit shot exits into the right orbit…if that makes sense. Is there an adjustment that can be made to one of the metal guides or do I just need to work on cleaner shots?
Thanks everyone!

I'm not sure where it's getting hung up. Once I enter the right orbit it will definitely make the orbit no problem. Can you provide a picture?

#15572 10 months ago
Quoted from Damagio:

This is my issue exactly! it seems to bounce off the right guide and into that Fork circled in the picture.

That's odd. I paid attention to mine last night and if it enters that orbit, it never hits that. But I guess tiny variances in the pins might cause some to do that.

#15582 10 months ago

I think Rush is the first pin I've owned that I really haven't tried too hard to progress through the main modes. After almost 500 games I still just like going after what feels fun at the time - often building the drum value and then activating that. I got it to 600k a pop once - that was exciting for about twenty seconds

#15625 10 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I'm discouraged by the pinball industry as a whole. It's dark and unhealthy. The modders and the pinheads are the only light.

Alright, forgive me for saying this, but what if the problem is...you? And by you I don't mean you, but our hyper active awareness of the problems that exist. You're probably the most active person on this thread, and I'd say by default are neck deep into the issues on here. It's like anything else - if you surround yourself with a problem 24/7 it's likely going to seem like a bigger, more widespread problem than it really is. Are there problems with Rush? Yes. Stern? Yes. Distributors? Yes. The industry? Yes. But, as a whole, are they all pretty awesome? Yes.

I'd guess in the last 500 posts, there are more mentions of accessory "problems" than anything else. Just like the news. Is that really an accurate description of the Rush experience (or the world around us)? No. It's just a small facet. Granted, when it's happening to you directly, it feels worse. But it's still a tiny detail.

Perception:
PROBLEM WITH TOPPER
PROBLEM GETTING TOPPER
SHOOTER LANE BUBBLES
UNRESPONSIVE DISTRO
UNRESPONSIVE STERN
PROBLEM WITH TOPPER
PROBLEM GETTING TOPPER
SHOOTER LANE BUBBLES
Rush, and the pinball industry as a whole are awesome
UNRESPONSIVE DISTRO
UNRESPONSIVE STERN
PROBLEM WITH TOPPER
PROBLEM GETTING TOPPER
SHOOTER LANE BUBBLES
UNRESPONSIVE DISTRO
UNRESPONSIVE STERN

Reality:
RUSH AND THE PINBALL INDUSTRY AS A WHOLE ARE AWESOME
I have a substantial problem with x

#15632 10 months ago
Quoted from zebpin61:

All you billion+ players can skip this post: I'm embarrassingly proud of my 541 million high score today while lamely playing through the rule set. Had nearly 400million on the 1st ball but couldn't get close to that allusive billion point club... yeah, someday. [quoted image]

If you got 400 million on the FIRST ball, that could easily have been a 1-1.5B point game if you just played ball 2 and 3 like ball 1. I know, easier said than done. But excellent regardless!

#15668 10 months ago

I crack myself up. On one hand, I consider myself pretty decent at Rush now. I've got about 50-75% of the rules figured out. Then tonight, I'm on ball three in The Spirit of Radio (I think) and as the ball drains I hold the Weapon button as a last resort. My 220M score almost doubles from a 196M point Weapon.

On one hand, I'd kinda like to know why on earth it was THAT high. On the other, I kinda don't care. Something to do with colors and records and multipliers I bet...the parts of the game I don't have a grasp of yet! Nothing like ending with an awesome score and not really knowing why...

1 week later
#15779 9 months ago
Quoted from HangGlider2:

I just thought that Foo might be better in the gameplay department, haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Play it. It's a neat game. It feels like an Elwin - lots of loopy shots that are non-traditional. I liked it, despite not being a huge fan of Elwin's flow. It is very different than Rush.

Quoted from vikingerik:

I think Foo blows away Rush in every department except the music. Rush's flow is clunky, the geometry is weird, every shot isn't quite in the sweet spot from its flipper, while Foo has the buttery-smoothest flow ever.

And this is why HangGlider2 should play Foo, because I think Rush is buttery smooth. Like, I played LOV with my nephew for his first time, and then played Rush for his first time - we laughed at how different they were, and how much more refined Rush was (and I like LOV). I didn't originally answer the question because I haven't played a Premium Foo yet, but I think they compliment each other.

#15788 9 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

How much of this geometry narrative could be differences among actual Rush games? Do pins of the same model vary THAT much??

I've played two Rush pins that played HORRIBLY compared to mine. And I played a Wonka that an extremely knowledgeable and well respected owner/event coordinator had that, again, played pretty bad. I can't put my finger directly on it, but I'd say having all the coils set correctly and everything "right" in terms of rubbers, small adjustments that get out of whack, etc, make a huge difference over time. NIB? I think they likely all feel great overall.

2 weeks later
#16062 9 months ago
Quoted from InteractivePinball:

Hi all,
If you have a Rush Pro check out my latest mod!
https://nitropinball.com/collections/stern-shop/products/rush-ramp-in-stock[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

So on one hand, this looks pretty cool. I'm not into modding at -all-, but I think it's neat to cleanly change the ball path so dramatically like that via the mod. On the other hand, I love how the dead end shot feels and would never change it!

2 months later
#16810 6 months ago

Anyone with a Pro update their code and now have what sound like Premium callouts? I'm getting a lot of references to the time machine ramp/bridge being up which I don't remember before.

1 week later
#16922 6 months ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

The Kenwood KFC-13665 5.25" speakers are the ones used in the LE. They are my standard upgrade for Stern. Work great.

I switched to the 5.25" Kenwoods and regret not getting the Kickers or something better. They are definitely better than stock, and I literally hear things I didn't hear before, but they still don't sound "right".

#16924 6 months ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

I also upgraded my sub to the following. The combination of Kenwood backbox and this sub did great. No complaints on my end.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HJ0S88

And yeah, I have that exact same sub too . But if you're happy, that's all that matters. I've tinkered with the EQ a LOT and still feel like the sound is a bit "sucked out".

#16983 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Thinking about a Premium or a Pro, and read the thread from a solid year ago.
Looks like people have more issues with the Premium extra features? Is Pro just an overall stealthier, easier machine to maintain and not break?
I've played the Pro on location, and really dig it!

I very much like the Pro. For me the Premium adds extra complexity and not enough reason to spend an extra $2500. Try to find a Premium to play, but if you like the Pro that's a safe bet for you.

#17004 6 months ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

I know the timers can be adjusted manually in menus AND adjusted to be active during MB as well. It’s just that I prefer to play my pins on default factory settings, so if they could increase that timer a bit it would be fantastic.

I hear you and feel similarly. I set mine to...2 seconds?...because I don't think the default settings are assuming you're getting ANY STDM from the scoop. But we do, so this is how to offset it. In the end, it rarely saves a non-SDTM shot so I feel like it's close enough to the intention of the default settings. On a related note, keep trying to fix the alignment of the scoop for the SDTM problem. For me, it's occasionally loosening the mounting screws and rotating it a hair to get the scoop more inline with the coil under the playfield.

#17022 6 months ago
Quoted from Big_G:

I knew I had to hit the targets to win, but someone said hitting the ramp increases the time you have to hit all of the targets. Is that true?

Yes, definitely. If the count down is happening, and you hit that ramp, all the values go up and the timer pauses (or resets?). It's a fun but infuriating mode because despite my best efforts I've never, ever hit that bottom target intentionally. If the ball is at the right flipper I usually aim for the instrument drops and it'll ricochet over to the Rush standups.

#17050 6 months ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Anyone ever had a issue with the side scoop being very low powered? Whenever the side scoop launches the ball it barely can make it to the upper flipper ( only if i have it set to max power . 255) . Most of the time it just easily lobs out of the scoop and hits the RUSH targets above the slingshot. I tried increasing the power up to 255 max and it really made a little difference but still mostly just lobs out of the scoop.

Look under the playfield. I have a Pro so can't directly comment on this specific situation, but if the side scoop is anything like the bottom scoop it means the coil is hitting ball via preferably a straight line out of the scoop. Look under the playfield and make 100% sure that path is straight and clear. Mine was slightly crooked and I needed to rotate the scoop and coil a bit to make them line up. Any time you bump the coil strength up to max and it's still not working right it pays to pause and figure out what else might be wrong.

#17083 6 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Apparently, Alex Lifeson likes Rush!

It looks like "All the Alex Lifesons" likes Rush. "He" liked it three times.

2 weeks later
#17207 5 months ago
Quoted from orangedude71:

I’m curious.. what shot do most people find the hardest on this game. For me personally, the right ramp is my kryptonite. I can hit the left and right side of it all day long, but getting it up the ramp seems to elude me about 90% of the time.

The target behind the instrument drops on my Pro. Whenever it's time, I have to psyche myself up a bit because I know it's not -that- hard of a shot to hit, but...

As for that right ramp, I can hit it all day long I've come to find some shots for some people are super easy or super hard for no apparent reason. I can repeat the jump ramp on No Fear over twenty times in a row - but I had a 5% success rate hitting one of the (similar) orbits in TMNT.

#17221 5 months ago

Proof that it's always worth ending a game "on a good note": After putting in a dozen games on AIQ I decided to move on to Rush to finish. I could NOT get a good game in, which drove me nuts. But I have a rule: Always end on a good (or at least fun) game. And I did. Before I officially reached ball two, with the help of an extra ball or two I doubled my previous GC score and completed Cygnus Books 1 and 2 (my first time for Book 2). It was bonkers. By the time I got to ball three I was at year 2100 and quite frankly didn't know how to progress to 2112. I could have stopped and done some research, but what's the fun in that? So I finished out the game and had a good time. I told my wife it was "the best game of pinball I'd ever played". Especially awesome when during the previous ten or so games I played I didn't even break 50M.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#17266 5 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

What you can't do is make progress in a wild chaotic multiball. It's not Godzilla or Star Wars where uncontrolled balls will find the shots for you. You have to catch as many balls as you can and slowly work accurate shots with one remaining ball.

I find the exact opposite. My only similar "problem" was that was I was too distracted by other shots and wasn't continuing to focus on the mode during multiball. I really really hate cradling during multiball and never do it, and seem to progress through modes fine on-the-fly IF I can keep my focus.

#17268 5 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

So other than your negativity everything else you say is helpful.

If it's honest and sincere feedback, I'm all ears. If it's 18 posts about a clunky Time Machine, then that's a problem.

I think If there's any place for someone... especially an owner...to share opinions about a pin, it's in the owners forum.

#17299 5 months ago

With all this mention of "sweets spots" and "facts", I think it's worth noting the two aren't related. Finding something sweet is an opinion. I find Rush to have the best flow of any modern Stern. The right ramp is super smooth and easy. If someone disagrees? Cool. We have different opinions. But they're just that - opinions. And I'm totally ok with that.

1 week later
#17391 5 months ago
Quoted from Photopin:

For those of you who have made it to Book 2 and 2112- Seriously, what do you have your game set on. I consider myself a pretty decent player and the best I've ever done is, one time I got 5 modes completed after playing for nearly an hour straight. Most of my games run around 40 minutes and I'm lucky if I can complete 3 modes in that time.

I was in the same boat and this is what I found: Once the mode started, I'd start shooting the song mode shots but then something else would start and I'd get distracted by those shots. Every. Single. Time. Once I decided to focus only on making the song mode shots, I got to book 2 and a new high score. Another small detail: I often have a drink or two while playing at night, and I realized my play was much better consistently if I didn't drink. On all my games.

#17423 4 months ago
Quoted from tscottn:

my pitch is set just within the two lines of the level.

Do yourself a favor and buy a digital level. Those bubbles can be comically off - I've seen pins at the correct pitch have the line going through the middle of the bubble.

#17432 4 months ago

We're gonna need some more back story here. This sounds like an impossibility (though I believe you). It's like me telling you my buddy went to a golf course he's never played on and hit five hole in ones while catching a bear cub that fell out of a tree and then a local cheerleading team emerged from the trees to celebrate.

Details please!

Quoted from Cudaman:

Just had a friend and his two freshman in college boys over tonight to play a few games. His one son played Rush for the first time ever. He made it to 2112 on the first ball and was only 3 shots from completing it. He beat book 1 twice and book 2 once and finished with 9.81B.

#17464 4 months ago

Alright, I've thought you all crazy for spending $500 on expression lighting. Then I played my new LZ Premium at home for the first time with the lighting. And now I get it. It's synced perfectly with the music and gameplay, and is pretty cool.

Still not $500 cool, but pretty cool

1 week later
#17505 4 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Another way to guess is from how many weeks Rush ever spent on the production line. There were approximately 6 weeks when it was the current machine on the line, judging by reports on the Stern production thread here during 2022. Stern's old factory claimed 500/week capacity. So that also comes to roughly 3000 total.

I think most of what you said is helpful but the 500/week capacity stat is tricky to use. If they were ONLY making Rush it might work (assuming they're working at capacity). But they also may have had another game or two on the line. Either way, you're right, there's no way to tell for sure.

3 weeks later
#17587 3 months ago
Quoted from CrashJT:

Ask them about the part. Usually they want you to talk to the distributor.

I think this is fine advice, but for what it's worth I've contacted Stern...hundreds?...of times and only needed to contact the distributor once. I find it's a needless step 99.9% of the time.

#17611 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

RUSH TOPPER - my RUSH topper quit working . Belt had come off due to small allen screw loosening up and causing pulley wheel to fall off . See pics .

Tell me that "belt" isn't just a playfield rubber. That would be hard to believe.

#17620 3 months ago
Quoted from Photopin:

Okay, I think this forum may have set a record. I don't think I've ever seen this many posts about getting a topper to work correctly.

Over the last two years, there's been 360 mentions of "expression lighting". Super cool if you want to talk about all things expression lighting, over and over and over. If you're not? It makes you want to stop following a group for awhile and just check in on occasion due to the saturation.

1 week later
#17640 3 months ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Is this expression lighting a game changer?

Based on comments, 90% here will say yes. I'm a no. Cool? Yes. Worth the money? No. But if you're an LE customer, we may value things differently.

#17656 3 months ago

I'm always interested when I see engineering fixes like this. I wonder, why didn't Stern make this small tweak? Did they run out of time to optimize the design? Was it "good enough"? Or is there a reason the designed it exactly like they did? We'll likely never know, but good job improving the flow regardless.

#17665 89 days ago

Skill shot/programming question: What, exactly, ends your ability to accomplish a skill shot?

Sometimes the ball leaves the shooter lane, hits no other switches, I let it drain, and then pops back into the shooter lane ready for another launch. Over and over. Other times, the seemingly exact same conditions cancels the attempt and auto-launches. Any ideas what the difference is?

#17671 88 days ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Three total hits of the switch higher up in the plunger lane. After that you lose the skill shot privilege. The idea is that you can fall short of plunging to the upper flipper and try again, but after three tries, you're done.

Quoted from Apollo18:

It’s Two switch hits, and you lose the skill shot.

Quoted from tktlwyr:

3. The upper switch in the shooter is hit on the way up, back down and up again.

Quoted from GrooTheWanderer:

Just counting along with the last few posts - it has to be at least 4 hits...

I can tell you two issues with all of these answers. They make sense, but:
1) There have been times the ball leaves the shooter lane, hits zero switches, and then immediately autolaunches.
2) There have been times the ball leaves the shooter lane, hits zero switches and repeats literally a half dozen times allowing me seemingly unlimited attempts. Comical when it's happening, but confusing when it doesn't seem to be consistent. I feel like it's a programming glitch. The switches appear 100% fine.

#17688 84 days ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

While it did function, For me it is the real estate it takes up - blocks ball paths and I hated it.

I don't think I've ever thought "Those rubbers/whatever got in the way". I agree it looks funky, but I like it.

1 week later
#17723 73 days ago
Quoted from Rexdeanrds:

Any tips for aligning the scoop kickout? It's been perfect beeline to the right flipper for drop catches until recently. Now it's a STDM almost every time.
Tried adjusting power and adjusting the "Stern fix" fins. Is there anything to be bent or repositioned to ensure the kick stops going STDM?

I have two solution, one is more painful and maybe unnecessary:
1) Loosen that whole assembly from under the playfield and twist it firmly in one direction and then tighten the screws. This worked for about 50-100 plays for me before the problem returned again.
2) Make sure the coil is firing straight into the scoop eject. On mine, the two are slightly out of alignment (per Stern) and they recommended taking the screws out, aligning it better and then re-screwing into the bottom of the playfield.

I did one, but not two because oddly the problem went away on it's own. Hopefully you get yours figured out!

#17743 71 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

However when I got it home, it has this weird bad sound. It sounds like the speakers blew out but sometimes seems ok, however if bass hits it is bad.

I've had 3-4 Sterns have a poorly mounted sub. The woofer mounting surround is compressed which allows the cone to hit the grill at the bottom of the cabinet. Unmount the sub (or just loosen the nuts holding it in) and see if the noise continues. They'll send you a new sub if that's the problem. It's a poor design.

1 week later
#17786 60 days ago
Quoted from Photopin:

Has anyone said anything about hidden Easter Eggs in the game? I know Rush liked to put them in stuff like their concert DVDs and pinball programmers like to sneak them in now and then. Seems a perfect fit to have hidden Easter Eggs in this game.

They may not really be Easter eggs, but there are several call outs that are ripped directly from the Metallica pin. When I pointed this out at release I was ridiculed for making the observation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
WilliPinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 16.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 194.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Virginia Beach, VA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcyallen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1?tu=arcyallen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.