20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 297.
#10101 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

My houdini.
Last update:
4-7-19
Anniversary coming up.
I really want some fixes.
I love this game, its never leaving!
(Yes im drinking...)

Same...

#10102 4 years ago

Isn't the last update code version 19.10.24? (10/24/2019) Why not update?

My houdini.
Last update:
4-7-19
Anniversary coming up.
I really want some fixes.
I love this game, its never leaving!
(Yes im drinking...)

#10103 4 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Isn't the last update code version 19.10.24? (10/24/2019) Why not update?

That's a beta release, not available on the site. That code has not been made live, even though it's been 6 months! ( I know Josh has been busy on HW)

#10104 4 years ago

Is the code update dead in the water now that folks have left AP?

I still feel this is an underrated game, it provides a good variety of game play for my small collection.

#10105 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Is the code update dead in the water now that folks have left AP?
I still feel this is an underrated game, it provides a good variety of game play for my small collection.

Josh Kugler led the herculean effort to code this game - I believe he's the only developer who has ever worked on it (I think? Maybe Ferret has helped out, but I think he started with Oktoberfest) . anyway Josh is still at AP. -AND- Barry who is now at JJP is still helping out on AP questions, which is mind-blowing.

#10106 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Josh Kugler led the herculean effort to code this game - I believe he's the only developer who has ever worked on it (I think? Maybe Ferret has helped out, but I think he started with Oktoberfest) . anyway Josh is still at AP. -AND- Barry who is now at JJP is still helping out on AP questions, which is mind-blowing.

Barry is an amazing Guy. Jack was lucky to nab him.
Yes, Barry helped out on a question yesterday. Im sure Jack has no issue with his continued support of AP. Jack is also that kind of really good guy. These companies are in this together, continued support builds a foundation for great games.
Code update. I will not speak for Josh, but do know he is continuing to support Houdini and working on next code release. Its in beta now and when life gets back to normal a little Im sure we will get it.
I wish all our pinball community safe passage through this crisis. Everyone just stay inside and play pinball.

#10107 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I will not speak for Josh, but do know he is continuing to support Houdini and working on next code release. Its in beta now and when life gets back to normal a little Im sure we will get it.
I wish all our pinball community safe passage through this crisis. Everyone just stay inside and play pinball.

Well said.

Definitely a time for patience, not only bc of the obvious but also bc AP is trying to get HW out the door and support Oktoberfest.

I would be surprised if Josh got this far and just left the beta hanging. I think it would drive most of us crazy to be so close to a major milestone at work and not get it done. Patience ...

#10108 4 years ago

Barry is an amazing Guy.

Yes. One of the best if not the best.

Jack was lucky to nab him.

Yes. JJP was fortunate for that. Pinball in general too, that he didn't end up in a different industry.

I will not speak for Josh, but do know he is continuing to support Houdini

Didn't he post recently he only has a Hot Wheels at home ? So programming for a different game might be hard to test since the factory is likely closed by the state for the virus.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Barry who is now at JJP is still helping out on AP questions, which is mind-blowing.

What helps pinball, helps everybody. Helps every company. I don't stick to just CGC games of JJP games, if I can help.

LTG : )

#10109 4 years ago

IMO Houdini is their best game released to date. A code refresh may spur some demand if things go back to normal and they decide to build more.

#10110 4 years ago

Is there a mode where the GI turns off?

#10111 4 years ago

There is beta code for Houdini that has been in test for a couple of months. I had hoped to release it officially last month, but, I have not been able to carve out time to respond to a few issues that were found in the beta. Right now my focus is on getting HW code ready for submission to Mattel for approval.

I'm not sure when I'll get back to Houdini, could be a week or two, could be a month. Overall the issues with the beta are pretty minor, and no doubt this code is a nice improvement from the last release. Since there is going to be a delay before it will be official, and given that the issues raised are relatively minor, anyone who wants to install the beta code is welcome to do so . . .

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yYNutTlgBKa5EgKbSkk8IxSNift2tIPp

#10112 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There is beta code for Houdini that has been in test for a couple of months. I had hoped to release it officially last month, but, I have not been able to carve out time to respond to a few issues that were found in the beta. Right now my focus is on getting HW code ready for submission to Mattel for approval.
I'm not sure when I'll get back to Houdini, could be a week or two, could be a month. Overall the issues with the beta are pretty minor, and no doubt this code is a nice improvement from the last release. Since there is going to be a delay before it will be official, and given that the issues raised are relatively minor, anyone who wants to install the beta code is welcome to do so . . .

Amazing Josh thank you so so much.
Hope you and your Family are fine.
Take all the time you need and don't stress your self.
Thank for your Support!

#10113 4 years ago

That's a great gesture mate, thank you. I'll wait, but still.

#10114 4 years ago

Can't wait to give the new code a spin!

#10115 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks Josh!

Will install it now.

#10116 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Well, there you go. Josh came in with a big mic drop, I mean code drop.

#10117 4 years ago

Just downloaded the 1.52 Gig file. Thanks Josh, will give it a go.

#10118 4 years ago

Looking to buy this pin as there are some really good prices right now. Had been considering Dialed In but that would cost at least $1000 more. For those of you who have played both how does Houdini stack up in the Home environment?

#10119 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Looking to buy this pin as there are some really good prices right now. Had been considering Dialed In but that would cost at least $1000 more. For those of you who have played both how does Houdini stack up in the Home environment?

Haven't played Dialed In enough to be able to compare the two but as a Houdini owner for quite a while now I think this game is ideal for a home environment. I personally don't think it would be as good on location as it takes a while to figure out the rules and shots but once you do, it's a blast. Additionally, it is really good looking and solidly built. For a few minor issues that I've had, API's tech support was second to none (you can see their support and visibility all over this thread). For the right price, I don't think you can beat it.

#10120 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Haven't played Dialed In enough to be able to compare the two but as a Houdini owner for quite a while now I think this game is ideal for a home environment. I personally don't think it would be as good on location as it takes a while to figure out the rules and shots but once you do, it's a blast. Additionally, it is really good looking and solidly built. For a few minor issues that I've had, API's tech support was second to none (you can see their support and visibility all over this thread). For the right price, I don't think you can beat it.

I bought both DI and Houdini around the same time. They were both COMPLETELY different games obviously, but both fun in their own way. DI stayed here for about a year... Houdini hasn't left. I may buy DI again some day when prices go down (LOL) a bit. You are absolutely right about the rules. The game is so packed it does take a little bit of figuring out.

#10121 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

I have both games and I’d probably give the edge to Houdini. The modes are refreshing and the shots are tight. Whilst the current iteration of the code the game is a little talky but in saying that it’s also part of its charm. Everything fits with the theme and the game looks beautiful. I like all the multiballs especially man from beyond as it builds with shots, although I think there is a bug with that mode as I can never seem to find Houdini (if anyone can chime in here that’d be great). At the end of the day it’s personal preference if you’re not a fan of tight shots I’d advise against Houdini

#10122 4 years ago

Thanks for these inputs, I have been leaning towards Houdini just wanted to hear from people who have played/owned both. I think I'm convinced. Want a challenging hard game. Gonna pull the trigger.

#10123 4 years ago

I'm installing the beta code tonight. Curious to see what the changes are.

#10124 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I'm installing the beta code tonight. Curious to see what the changes are.

Yeah me too I’ll be downloading it shortly

#10125 4 years ago

Update installed perfectly, no issues so far.

GOD I love this game!

#10126 4 years ago

The new code has a great lightshow. It's hypnotic...

#10127 4 years ago

First game on beta code, the lightshow is definitely nice. I saw a ball tracking issue after stacked trunk/seance multiball where the multi ended with 2 balls in play. One then went into stage so I let the other drain and it ended my ball. One thing may have been "fixed" is the ability to get 2 extra balls on the same hoop in king of cards?

My flippers are nice and strong throughout. If the ball tracking issues could be fixed I feel this game is a gem.

#10128 4 years ago

New code while waiting for Houdini to arrive is exciting!
I purchased a few items from AP store, does anyone know if they are currently shipping parts and have received an order? Didn’t think about that.

#10129 4 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

First game on beta code, the lightshow is definitely nice. I saw a ball tracking issue after stacked trunk/seance multiball where the multi ended with 2 balls in play. One then went into stage so I let the other drain and it ended my ball. One thing may have been "fixed" is the ability to get 2 extra balls on the same hoop in king of cards?
My flippers are nice and strong throughout. If the ball tracking issues could be fixed I feel this game is a gem.

I think those are some of the issues Josh mentioned that came up in the beta.

One other thing - the ball lock switches under the ramp are not always positioned well to detect the ball. Make sure you test those. They are a pain to get aligned correctly - the frontmost one (where the first ball will reside) was letting the ball drift just a little bit to the side, so it was not contacting the switch consistently. Check the ball guide and see if you can gently bend it inward if this is a problem.

#10130 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

does anyone know if they are currently shipping parts

According to their Facebook page, and with Illinois shut down. I don't think anything is going out.

#10131 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

According to their Facebook page, and with Illinois shut down. I don't think anything is going out.

I know they are working on a plan so that parts can ship. My guess is it will be a once a week thing where someone goes to the factory alone and does the pick, pack and ship. If I get more info I will pass it along.

#10132 4 years ago

Sorry if this has been asked before but are all the production lines shut down at Chicago Gaming, Stern, JJP & AP?
Wondering if they allow every other work station to keep the required 6' or more distance....

#10133 4 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Sorry if this has been asked before but are all the production lines shut down at Chicago Gaming, Stern, JJP & AP?

Since Illinois is shut down. I suspect CGC, Stern, and AP production lines are down. JJP moving from NJ to Chicago shut their line down. No idea if the new one in Chicago is up or not. If it is, it would be down too.

#10134 4 years ago

Thanks all for the info!
I figured it may take them some time.

#10135 4 years ago

I’m seeking help or advice on my Trunk Multiball. Once the third ball is locked, I get the animation and sounds for the start of Trunk Multiball. However, only one ball is put into the Playfield. If I drain that ball, 2 balls come out. Once both of those are drained, a ball search begins and then I get a new ball.

Does anyone have ideas what could be causing this, and a possible solution?

Thanks in advance.

#10136 4 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Does anyone have ideas what could be causing this,

Just a thought. Any chance the balls are magnetized and not rolling into position right ?

#10137 4 years ago

I’m seeking help or advice on my Trunk Multiball. Once the third ball is locked, I get the animation and sounds for the start of Trunk Multiball. However, only one ball is put into the Playfield. If I drain that ball, 2 balls come out. Once both of those are drained, a ball search begins and then I get a new ball.
Does anyone have ideas what could be causing this, and a possible solution?
Thanks in advance.

Is this a change on how it previous performed or is this a new game to you? If a recent purchase, make sure you have the most recent download. You can even download the new beta, which I’ve been running for a number of months without incident.

#10138 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I bought the game NIB in November (with current code loaded). It just started doing this earlier this week. I will change the balls.

Thanks everyone and stay safe.

#10139 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I bought the game NIB in November (with current code loaded). It just started doing this earlier this week. I will change the balls.
Thanks everyone and stay safe.

Have you lifted playfield recently?
If so, this to me sounds like an opto issue in the seance scoop. Even if you haven't lifted playfield they, or one could have gotten loose over time.

#10140 4 years ago

I had a similar problem with the opto in the subway.

#10141 4 years ago

I tried the Beta but had too much ball confusion. Shots to the scoop to activate first combo missions resulted in the ball just sitting in the scoop and never coming out. This happened at start of 3 games. I like the new light shows but I don't think this is playable yet.

#10142 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I tried the Beta but had too much ball confusion. Shots to the scoop to activate first combo missions resulted in the ball just sitting in the scoop and never coming out. This happened at start of 3 games. I like the new light shows but I don't think this is playable yet.

I have about 50 games on it and have no problems.

This is interesting!

#10143 4 years ago

I have about 50 games on it and have no problems.
This is interesting!

That is odd. I must 50-75 games on it. One reset caused by a weird, one in a million, convergence of tasks and accomplishments, which Josh will fix for the next release.
Otherwise it’s been great.

#10144 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Sounds like something else is going on. Next time it happens, go right into switch test and see what it shows for the scoop, also send me the log.

#10145 4 years ago

Hey hey... I just joined the club. Any advice for a new owner?

#10146 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Welcome aboard. Awesome game

Check out posts beginning with #10084. Lots of tips Re your question. Have fun

#10147 4 years ago

Ive upgrades to the beta and I’ve had some balls end after a fair waiting period too. It seems like the ball tracking issues haven’t been quite resolved yet. I’ve gone into switch test and it showed all 6 balls l. I had a reset when in coil test and I ejected 2x balls one after the other.

#10148 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Have fun and the shots will come.

Oh ... and "keep your nose clean"!

#10149 4 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Ive upgrades to the beta and I’ve had some balls end after a fair waiting period too. It seems like the ball tracking issues haven’t been quite resolved yet. I’ve gone into switch test and it showed all 6 balls l. I had a reset when in coil test and I ejected 2x balls one after the other.

Do you have the upgraded power supply?
You might have loosly fitted wires in the wall-nuts?

Resets might be power related.

#10150 4 years ago

We've got a few people in this thread now talking about the ball tracking issues with beta code. I was solid for many months and had tracking issues within 1 game of beta, I think it's fair to say the code still has some bugs that need to be resolved. It's one of my favorite pins and I really hope it can be sorted out eventually.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 203 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/203?hl=bankshot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.