20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 297.
#651 6 years ago
Quoted from pbu:

Houdini was at Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo and was *very* playable. I had my equipment with me and thanks to Josh at American Pinball I think we now have the first real gameplay video!:
» YouTube video
To be completely honest, this wasn't a game that was really on my radar until I got the SFGE and saw and played it. This is an extremely well put together machine that plays well, and even with the early code was absolutely intriguing. This is a game I'm going to be keeping my eye on going forward as I'm excited to see where it is by the end of the year.

The reverse the arms thing doesn't help me at all. Everything still feels backwards.

#652 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

The reverse the arms thing doesn't help me at all. Everything still feels backwards.

Yup, same on drunk multiball on CCC. Brain knows the arms are crossed and compensates.

#653 6 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

Where's the water torture figure? Wasn't that on there earlier?

You are probably thinking about the cheap piece of plastic on the jpop version of the playfield, that was scrapped. You will find the chinese water toture tank not he backglass, we looked at putting one not he playfield, but for a variety of reasons we chose not to.

Quoted from Mr68:

I do agree the water-torture feature is paramount for this game and I'd surprised if it were to be left off.
(Get on it Josh)

Started working on the water torture mode yesterday.

Quoted from transprtr4u:

Would love too see a under play field picture of this game!

Someday, but the underside of 'hand wired' prototypes are not something we would want to show off. Plenty of things still changing.

Quoted from Ricflair:

Why another playfield with a "phone-looking" device?

It is the marquee over the theater, and has a few uses, it shows next illusion/escape to be performed at the stage, the current status as far as which illusions/escapes have been performed and it is where the timer is displayed when performing an illusion/escape. It is possible it will go through some modifications.

Quoted from Mr68:

Fantastic video from what I saw of it. 2.5 hours is way too much video for me but I watched quite a bit of it.

The first or second player up has a pretty good game and hits on a good range of the features, so, if you got through the first 20 minutes or so, you probably got a good feel for the game as it stands now, with 36.47% of the code completed.

#654 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Quoted from BorgDog:

Yup, same on drunk multiball on CCC. Brain knows the arms are crossed and compensates.

It worked the very first time and every time for me and very naturally. Funny thing was the time I excitedly yelled at a friend of mine to quickly cross his arms when the game suddenly changed over. He played multiball brilliantly but repeatedly kept saying out loud, "How the hell am I doing this?", "How the hell am I doing this?"

#655 6 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

Where's the water torture figure? Wasn't that on there earlier?
That's his most-known trick. Gotta be prominent on the playfield. Please!
Maybe i just can't see it for some reason. But that's way more known than the milk container i am seeing on there.
Why another playfield with a "phone-looking" device? Don't recall this on earlier playfields. A lot of people don't care for that on "Dialed In' - why is it here too? I sure hope this doesn't beat out the water-torture figure from being there.

Its there. It is one of the modes that will show up in this display. The bezel on display looks a little like the tank, zoom in to see bolts.
DI Phone ruined this innovative idea. Star wars bezel is just black right now and really doesnt work. This Houdini is the best display and bezel ive seen. The Hobbit display qnd book is pretty good to.

20170521_182409 (resized).jpg20170521_182409 (resized).jpg

#656 6 years ago

I want to state again that I'm totally in on this game and altough I'm also in on TNA and Star Wars (last one allready ordered) I really dig Houdinis overall 'package' the greatest. (I like the art, the playfield layout & toys, the steampunk art composition - altough hand drawn would be better - , the sound - about everything.)

Only thing I'm still waiting for is a suggested retail price for europe -> germany.
(And that's the reason I got a Star Wars for the moment; I'm sure I'll have to whit for still quite a while for that to happen, whereas I allready have a date & a price for my SW.)

But I'll be there when you are (and exchange rates won't kill me)!

#657 6 years ago

If that "phone" looking device Eric pictured goes into a fullscreen lit-up chinese-water-torture look when it's in that mode - SICK!!!!

#658 6 years ago

We had a great time hosting American Pinball & Houdini at our booth recently via NW Pinball Show. This is one of my favorite shots from the weekend (Todd MacCulloch & Jolly Backer). Thanks to everyone that stopped by to visit and play Houdini. We can't wait until this bad boy hits the production line! Contact me if you want on the list (no deposit). Thx!

[email protected]
www.NITROPINBALL.com

ToddMac&JollyB (resized).JPGToddMac&JollyB (resized).JPG

#659 6 years ago

OK. Picky feedback. The curtain movement is unnatural. It needs to move from to top. This is a big part of the animation.

#660 6 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

OK. Picky feedback. The curtain movement is unnatural. It needs to move from to top. This is a big part of the animation.

"Unnatural" is that it doesn't 'wave' or 'swing', but if it's opening sideways or up depends on the theatre (most have both). XD

#661 6 years ago

I would personally suggest they keep adding things and not change/undo the things they have already Done! Keep moving forward it looks great so far!! Yes I want this game sooner than later! lol

#662 6 years ago

Curtain's fine IMO. They have plenty to work on yet that matters. It'd be dead simple to offer a choice of curtain opening in a polish update after it ships if they want to.

#663 6 years ago

This has actually already been improved from the previous version in which the curtain moved entirely to one side only.

I think I like it as it is so that you're not waiting for the score at top to be the last thing revealed (if it was raised instead).

#664 6 years ago

I have a question rosh!

I've just seen the panel with Joe Balcer and noticed in the early skethces that there's a magnet area marked at Houdinis hands on the playfield.

Is that in the game? - That'd be awesome but didn't see it yet in the gameplay video snippets.

#665 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I have a question rosh!
I've just seen the panel with Joe Balcer and noticed in the early skethces that there's a magnet area marked at Houdinis hands on the playfield.
Is that in the game? - That'd be awesome but didn't see it yet in the gameplay video snippets.

There are magnets by the hands and his head that move the ball in SEANCE mode, if that's what you're asking.

#666 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There are magnets by the hands and his head that move the ball in SEANCE mode, if that's what you're asking.

Yes, that was what I wanted to know, thanks.

Game continuously gets more awesome!

#667 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Yes, that was what I wanted to know, thanks.
Game continuously gets more awesome!

You need to full-screen it to see well, but the SEANCE mode magnet action is shown a bit here:

Closeup of that mode:

And the cool 3/4 PF length basket shot is shown here:

Closeup of that shot:

#668 6 years ago

Closer magnet action and catapult can also be found on our fly-by video.

#669 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Closer magnet action and catapult can also be found on our fly-by video.
» YouTube video

Got it. Updated the post with direct links to the point in the video that shows those two modes closer.

#670 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Got it. Updated the post with direct links to the point in the video that shows those two modes closer.

Thanks man. Pretty great game from what I experienced on it.

#671 6 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Thanks man. Pretty great game from what I experienced on it.

Yep. Pretty rough at PAGG, but there's potential for days and lots of good ideas already represented. Looking forward to this one.

#672 6 years ago

Impressive, really like the music and sfx, gameplay looks fast and fun.

#673 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You need to full-screen it to see well, but the SEANCE mode magnet action is shown a bit here:
» YouTube video
Closeup of that mode:
» YouTube video
And the cool 3/4 PF length basket shot is shown here:
» YouTube video
Closeup of that shot:
» YouTube video

Thx.

#674 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I have a question rosh!

Quoted from PinMonk:

There are magnets by the hands and his head that move the ball in SEANCE mode

We knew we needed magnets so we worked it out to that we could also design it into the art as far as putting the magnets in his hands, which enhances the effect as sometimes you will see the ball jump between hands during seance multiball. There are three magnets, and they are used at other times as well

#675 6 years ago

Let the super jackpot call outs be spectacular. A true reward for achieving them, like in LOTR and GOT!

Thanks!

#676 6 years ago

It would be easy, fun even, to program the curtains to swing naturally as they open or close. Just start with the top only moving, then a little more with the next iteration, etc. Then play with the step sizes until it looks realistic. It will be worth the effort.

#677 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

It would be easy, fun even, to program the curtains to swing naturally as they open or close. Just start with the top only moving, then a little more with the next iteration, etc. Then play with the step sizes until it looks realistic. It will be worth the effort.

in most cases, there is a quite a bit of movement within the curtain

#678 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

in most cases, there is a quite a bit of movement within the curtain

Guess I should have looked closer for myself, I thought it sounded static. Probably hard to look super realistic when it has to whip open and closed quickly so as to not hold things up!

#679 6 years ago

I'm confident in Josh's ability and will allow him to make the "Curtain Call". Take a bow, Josh.

0bd90fca8b18fbc397e5886e3aabc92f (resized).jpg0bd90fca8b18fbc397e5886e3aabc92f (resized).jpg

#680 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

I'm confident in Josh's ability and will allow him to make the "Curtain Call". Take a bow, Josh.

Python pin is next! You heard it here folks!

What a frickin awesome theme that would be

#681 6 years ago

Python pin would be great. Big foot stomping the ball!

#682 6 years ago

Tilt warning: "Nudge, nudge!"

#683 6 years ago

Need more Houdini news bump...

#684 6 years ago

I have my Houdini news!!
This will be the only NIB game i buy this year!!
I just hope its under my Christmas tree!
Santa, ive been a good boy this year.

#685 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have my Houdini news!!
This will be the only NIB game i buy this year!!
I just hope its under my Christmas tree!
Santa, ive been a good boy this year.

LOL

Not .. <i>exactly</i> the type of news I was hoping for...

2 weeks later
#686 6 years ago

Will Houdini be at Cal extreme in 2 weeks?

#687 6 years ago

I think everyone will be surprised to see some games way before the end of the year. Contact us to get on the list for an early game

[email protected]

#688 6 years ago

Who will be the distributor in Europe?

#689 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinbally_1968:

Who will be the distributor in Europe?

Is there an european distributor for any pinball machine/ company?

As far as I know RS Pinball from Austria got in touch with them,... but then again: Austria
(For our US-Friends: Austria != Australia)

#690 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

As far as I know RS Pinball from Austria got in touch with them,... but then again: Austria

Everybody knows that you are just proud Arnold Schwarzenegger comes from your motherland Australia. I hear Austria is nice too mate.

#691 6 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

IMG_0733 (resized).pngIMG_0733 (resized).png

#692 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Everybody knows that you are just proud Arnold Schwarzenegger comes from your motherland Australia. I hear Austria is nice too mate.

I'm from neither. XD

#693 6 years ago

i would buy one once they are played by people for a few months and they are in stock, it looks great. just dont ever want to preorder even with a very small deposit!

#694 6 years ago

Look for Houdini hitting the streets soon (fall)... by streets I mean some pre-production games on location not just in Chicago but on east coast as well courtesy of PinballSTAR. Time to add the east coast to the pinball testing grounds, Chicago has had that monopoly long enough ! ; )

Stay tuned... things are happening... production line being built... parts coming in...

PinballSTAR is an American Pinball / Houdini distributor. Email us to get on the pre order list. A refundable $ 250 deposit gets you in line !

Joe

IMG_3982 (resized).PNGIMG_3982 (resized).PNG

#695 6 years ago

Any local guys in Chicago see factory workers or help.wanted ads yet? Wonka needs workers at some point. Sub assembly starts well before production.

#696 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Look for Houdini hitting the streets soon (fall)... by streets I mean some pre-production games on location not just in Chicago but on east coast as well courtesy of PinballSTAR. Time to add the east coast to the pinball testing grounds, Chicago has had that monopoly long enough ! ; )
Stay tuned... things are happening... production line being built... parts coming in...
PinballSTAR is an American Pinball / Houdini distributor. Email us to get on the pre order list. A refundable $ 250 deposit gets you in line !
Joe

Joe do you know where some of the locations will be at this point? I'd love to put some quarters into this game actually on location

#697 6 years ago

Going to try and get a Chicago location started
WIll post more info soon!!
Pincades
AP Dist.
Jesse T

#698 6 years ago

What is the latest with Houdini? Will it be shipping with the same layout shown at the shows like TPF and SFGE? Some of those shots seemed really tight to me.

#699 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

What is the latest with Houdini? Will it be shipping with the same layout shown at the shows like TPF and SFGE? Some of those shots seemed really tight to me.

Yes, there are tight shots. But, they flow great and are not hard to achive. Game plays awesome.

#700 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yes, there are tight shots. But, they flow great and are not hard to achive. Game plays awesome.

I played it in allentown and it felt like a "grower" to me. Tight shots are way preferable to cheap drains (I'm looking at you, Doctor Who!)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.