20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 297.
#2701 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Can we get an adjustment for hold voltage on the flippers? I'm really getting sick of losing the ball because the s-e-a targets bounce back with such force that it pushes the flipper down and drains. I also noticed that changing the stage to do the kick out doesn't work on my game. Now i see two balls in there and it still kicks out the scoop (I was attempting to have it kick out the stage so less chance of the sdtm from the scoop)

One of the balls you see in the stage is "an illusion". It's not a loose, playable ball, but part of the assembly and the "magic".

#2702 6 years ago

I really liked the use of magnets in the theatre of magic as far as the spirit ring and magic trunk effect.

Anything like that planned for Houdini?

Don't get me wrong I'm all in on Houdini, can't wait to get mine maybe before xmas.

#2703 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

One of the balls you see in the stage is "an illusion". It's not a loose, playable ball, but part of the assembly and the "magic".

Its a bummer to share that magic, but indeed fake ball there in mech.
You can see it in test mode by opening curtain and run that coil in test.

#2704 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Its a bummer to share that magic, but indeed fake ball there in mech.
You can see it in test mode by opening curtain and run that coil in test.

I learned it firsthand trying to diagnose a stage problem. While running through the tests, I thought a ball had gotten magnetized - REALLY MAGNETIZED because I couldn't budge it out of the stage - until I counted and realized it was an "extra" ball and part of the mech.

#2705 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I really liked the use of magnets in the theatre of magic as far as the spirit ring and magic trunk effect.
Anything like that planned for Houdini?
Don't get me wrong I'm all in on Houdini, can't wait to get mine maybe before xmas.

Ive been seeing some neat magnet action on ball from the hands from time to time, swirling, hard toss, they work great. In seance ive had some mean ball drains from lower magnet, but thats pinball.

#2706 6 years ago

Ive been seeing some neat magnet action on ball from the hands from time to time, swirling, hard toss, they work great. In seance ive had some mean ball drains from lower magnet, but thats pinball.

I'm selling my Tom to make room for my Houdini, I liked it that much at TPF!

Just waxing nostalgic I guess.
I have put barely 20 games on my ToM in the last 5 years.
But the cool magic tricks on ToM was what drew me it, not the shallow game play.

I think the houdini, once I get it will make me forget about Tom readily.

Plus the creepy houdini eyes are mesmorizing!

#2707 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

an we get an adjustment for hold voltage on the flippers? I'm really getting sick of losing the ball because the s-e-a targets bounce back with such force that it pushes the flipper down and drains

See if this setting helps..stopped that from happening on my game

Flipper Hold Boost

Use if you are finding flippers are being knocked down, can happen with a lower
power situation or with flippers power set
overly
strong
. Will add some buzz to the flippers.
Available in settings.

#2708 6 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

See if this setting helps..stopped that from happening on my game

Flipper Hold Boost

Use if you are finding flippers are being knocked down, can happen with a lower
power situation or with flippers power set
overly
strong
. Will add some buzz to the flippers.
Available in settings.

Thanks. I didn't see anything like that when I looked I'll check it out.

#2709 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Can we get an adjustment for hold voltage on the flippers? I'm really getting sick of losing the ball because the s-e-a targets bounce back with such force that it pushes the flipper down and drains. I also noticed that changing the stage to do the kick out doesn't work on my game. Now i see two balls in there and it still kicks out the scoop (I was attempting to have it kick out the stage so less chance of the sdtm from the scoop)

looks like Mailibu-SS gave you the answer. I don't find this to be an issue, but I guess I don't keep flippers up after flipping. Also be sure to not set your flipper strength stronger then it needs to be. You need to find the right balance between strong enough to make the ramp and not so strong that hitting the narrow targets results in airballs or super fast bounces back to the flippers. In some cases you may find having the left flipper a notch stronger than the right gets the right balance.

As far as the stage exit, that feature will not currently work due to a stage change that was made for production, a longer story for another day.

There is a ball save on the scoop. Clearly it is too short and will be longer in the next code update.

We have identified an unexpected behavior with the p-roc control system that is causing some consistency issues with the catapult and possibly the scoop (although the biggest issue on that is having the scoop, power and flat rail properly adjusted). I have made some code changes to work around this behavior, and based on initial testing it seems to have resolved or at least significantly minimized the issue. I have shared the changes with Scott Danesi, who has seen some similar issues on TNA, and I am waiting for his feedback. I am working through some other tweaks will be needed as a result of this change, and assuming the testing does not uncover new issues, these changes will be in the next release.

As a reminder, current code version is 18.2.27 (18.2.25 is basically the same unless you use 5 ball play). You can see what version you are running during boot up and by going to the API Cockpit (service menu).

#2710 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

looks like Mailibu-SS gave you the answer. I don't find this to be an issue, but I guess I don't keep flippers up after flipping. Also be sure to not set your flipper strength stronger then it needs to be. You need to find the right balance between strong enough to make the ramp and not so strong that hitting the narrow targets results in airballs or super fast bounces back to the flippers. In some cases you may find having the left flipper a notch stronger than the right gets the right balance.
As far as the stage exit, that feature will not currently work due to a stage change that was made for production, a longer story for another day.
There is a ball save on the scoop. Clearly it is too short and will be longer in the next code update.
We have identified an unexpected behavior with the p-roc control system that is causing some consistency issues with the catapult and possibly the scoop (although the biggest issue on that is having the scoop, power and flat rail properly adjusted). I have made some code changes to work around this behavior, and based on initial testing it seems to have resolved or at least significantly minimized the issue. I have shared the changes with Scott Danesi, who has seen some similar issues on TNA, and I am waiting for his feedback. I am working through some other tweaks will be needed as a result of this change, and assuming the testing does not uncover new issues, these changes will be in the next release.
As a reminder, current code version is 18.2.27 (18.2.25 is basically the same unless you use 5 ball play). You can see what version you are running during boot up and by going to the API Cockpit (service menu).

Thank you for your suggestions Josh. Good to hear that you are still making improvements. I'll give them a try tonight.

Is there an option to enable restart of a game if the first ball did not go as planned? I use this frequently on Williams and stern games in a home environment, but it didn't work when I tried it on Houdini yesterday.

#2711 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Is there an option to enable restart of a game if the first ball did not go as planned?

Currently disabled, I'm not comfortable that it properly resets things.

#2712 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Thank you for your suggestions Josh. Good to hear that you are still making improvements. I'll give them a try tonight.
Is there an option to enable restart of a game if the first ball did not go as planned? I use this frequently on Williams and stern games in a home environment, but it didn't work when I tried it on Houdini yesterday.

Open coin door, go to menu, exit menu. Start next game. We got quite good at it.

#2713 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Any ETA on the next code release?

#2714 6 years ago

I must be the lucky one with #77 as I have only had two ball drains from the scoop in over 120 3-ball games.

There has also been very few ball scoop ejects that haven't made it out on the first try...

Looking forward to some kind of MATCH feature..hopefully...

And the catapult accuracy has been pretty darn good too. I'd say over 90% of making the trunk shot.

#2715 6 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I must be the lucky one with #77 as I have only had two ball drains from the scoop in over 120 3-ball games.
There has also been very few ball scoop ejects that haven't made it out on the first try...
Looking forward to some kind of MATCH feature..hopefully...
And the catapult accuracy has been pretty darn good too. I'd say over 90% of making the trunk shot.

Our catapults have been like 99.9% accurate, but the scoop is a different story. Wild fluctuations in power on the eject.

#2716 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Any ETA on the next code release?

I expect to button it up and start some 'field testing' by end of next week. Hard part is drawing a line in the sand and stopping adding/fixing/modifying things. Maybe if you guys stopped asking for stuff I'd be able to do that.

#2717 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I expect to button it up and start some 'field testing' by end of next week. Hard part is drawing a line in the sand and stopping adding/fixing/modifying things. Maybe if you guys stopped asking for stuff I'd be able to do that.

rosh please take your time I would like everything smoothed out before I get my game this xmas!

#2718 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Give us whatcha got and then we can start this dance all over again.

#2719 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thank you for making the game great.
I think on behalf of all current owners, and future buyers....we dont mind if you update and improve for years ro come. Same as Jersey Jack does. No Pressure.
I personally would love for the knocker option in future update. Not hard to buy standard Bally/ Williams knocker and run a couple wires and install. Or perhaps this is an item and kit available in the AP shop in future.

#2720 6 years ago

Has anybody figured out the rules yet ? How do you get the Houdini letters ?

The only issue I have had is the catapult by the trunk would not make the shot into the wireform ramp. I lowered the coil setting and it works perfect now.

#2721 6 years ago

I personally would love for the knocker option in future update.

I expect at some point we will offer one. First is getting the shaker motor kits available. For knocker there are a couple of different ways we can go about adding it and we need to assess the pros and cons of each.

Quoted from murfe88:

Hold both flippers in to see the progress map, that will shed some light. Seven different areas of the game, each has a letter associated with. In most cases you need to start, collect or complete X of those items (for seance you need two jackpots and for Trunk MB you need a super jackpot). Also check settings for options which will shed more light and also will let you make it easier to earn them (not that the master magician mode is in the game yet).

#2723 6 years ago
Quoted from murfe88:

I’ve collected the rules from the different sources (TWIP, manual, TPF presentation and watch streams). I was thinking about posting to tiltforums rule sheets if anyone is interested.
Hopefully people would add to them as it is a wiki. Pretty good start so far.

#2724 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I’ve collected the rules from the different sources (TWIP, manual, TPF presentation and watch streams). I was thinking about posting to tiltforums rule sheets if anyone is interested.
Hopefully people would add to them as it is a wiki. Pretty good start so far.

Yes please! That’d be super helpful.

#2725 6 years ago

Houdini Rules
Current Version: 18.2.27

Playfield Design, Mechanics: Joe Balcer
Engineering: Jim Thornton
Rules, Programming, Animation: Josh Kugler
Artwork, Animations: Jeff Busch
Music, Sound: Matt Kern
Sculptures: Matt Riesterer (Back Alley)
Animation: Ish Raneses

Rules compiled from the following sources: This Week in Pinball, Josh Kugler, SDTM, Konjurer, et al.

THE GOAL:
The goal of Houdini is to become the Master Magician and make it to the Master Magician wizard mode. You to the Master Magician Mode by spelling H-O-U-D-I-N-I. Each of the 7 letters of Houdini correspond to the 7 major areas of the game.

Becoming a Master Magician is very difficult due to the depth of the ruleset. You have to complete 20 modes, 5 combos, collect 8 awards, collect jackpots from 2 multiballs, and complete 3 mini-wizards modes. Simple, right?

The difficulty of getting to the end of the game can be adjusted in the settings so that Houdini letters are easier to achieve.

Progress towards the Master Master mode can be seen on a cool dashboard display by pressing both flippers before plunging. You can also see progress and by the chain link inserts on the playfield. Each major area of the game is represented by a different color as noted later in this document. Progress towards the end goal impacts your end-of-ball bonus.

OVERVIEW:

Skill shot – shoot moving red target for skill shot, shoot moving green target for super skill shot

10 Stage Modes
Vanishing Elephant
Chinese Water Torture
Indian Needle Trick
Walk through Walls
Handcuff King
Milkcan Escape
Metamorphosis
Bullet Catch Multiball (video mode using the upper catapult)
Straight Jacket Multiball (reverse/inverted flipper mode)
Card King (video mode)

Mini Wizard Modes
Movie Binge - complete all 5 Movie Modes
Great Jail Escape - complete all 5 Jail Escape Hurry-Up Modes
Ultimate Secret Mission - complete all Secret Mission Combos

Master Magician Mode
For the Master Magician (Wizard) Mode, you must collect all the HOUDINI letters by:
Complete all 10 Stage modes
Complete all 5 Movie Modes
Collect eight items from the Magic Shop
Complete all 5 Jail Escape Hurry-Up Modes
Complete all Secret Mission Combos
Earn a super jackpot during Trunk Multiball
Earn a certain number of jackpots during Seance Multiball

Drain Modes
There are two modes that are set up at the outlanes that can revive your ball.
Return from Beyond
Escape Death

STAGE MODES
Color Code: Red

The stage modes are started in two ways. Bashing the theater curtain 3 times or by going through the Back Stage Alley shot hitting the red target at the back of the pops.

Vanishing Elephant — Three ramp shots move elephant into the crate, then stage to show crate empty.
Ramp 3 times
Stage

Chinese Water Torture — KeyLane to lower into tank, either orbit to close curtain, stage to open curtain and set Houdini free.
Key Lane
Either Orbit
Stage

Indian Needle Trick — All switches score X, magic and red standup targets increase value. Houdini pulls needles out of his mouth as shots are made.
All switches
Red Standups to increase values

Walk through Walls — To move Houdini through the wall, shoot one of the left shots, then one of center shots, then right shots.
Left Shot
Middle Shots
Right Shot

Handcuff King — Shoot the pops, every X hits results in a handcuff or chain being thrown out, hit it enough time to totally free Houdini. The number of handcuffs on Houdini and the number of pops needed to shed a handcuff is adjustable in the Feature Settings.
Hit 3 Pops to shed a handcuff
Shed 5 handcuffs

Milkcan Escape — Three shots through the lower left loop will lower him into milkman, rollout the screen and then show him free. This can be the most lucrative of the stage modes.
Milkcan Loop 3 times

Metamorphosis — Shoot trunk to lower Houdini into the trunk, then orbit to close curtain, then stage or trunk to open curtain to set Houdini free, and Bess then in the trunk.
Trunk
Orbit
Stage

King of Cards — A video mode where you are throwing cards (known as scaling) through moving hoops. The longer you hold the flipper in before throwing, the higher it will go, so you need to time it both for when you start and release your press. As you make shots, the hoops move faster, making three of the smaller hoop, will then light the smaller hoop for extra ball. It is possible to make both hoops with a single throw, which will double their value.

The length of time in this mode is adjustable in the Feature Settings

Straight Jacket Multiball — You have the option of ‘reversed flippers’ (left flipper button controls right flipper, right controls left) or ‘reversed and inverted flippers’, where flippers are reversed as described, but they are inverted, which means they are the up position and then drop when flipper button is pressed, so they become ‘release to flip’. Jackpots are doubled when inverted. A feature will soon be added that if you are ‘chimping’ the flippers (e.g. just hitting both at the same time) during this mode will result in a reprimand and the jackpot value will be reduced.

Hint: cross your arms so that your right hand is on the left flipper button and left hand is on the right flipper button. Your brain will work as intended and you should be fine.

Hint: Once you feel comfortable with the reversed flippers, try the “reversed and inverted” a few times. It is worth big points and it’s actually not that difficult.

Bullet Catch — Shoot trunk to lock a ball in upper catapult, then shoot moving target to lock in the site (and jackpot value which is decreasing while you try to hit the moving shot). Locking the site fires the gun, to get into a two ball MB. Then continue to hit the trunk shot (right inner loop) to lock and fire the gun again to score jackpots.

MAGIC TARGETS

The Magic Standup Targets help you in different ways depending on the current state of the game. Hitting a magic target can add escape letters, séance letters, or film letters. Hitting a target can also advance you a step during a Stage Mode or Movie Mode. The magic targets also engage the magnets.

MOVIE MODES
Color Code: Blue

There are five modes based on Houdini’s movies. These modes are presented in black and white with an old film look and have a piano accompaniment. Failing to complete results in the film ‘burning’. One is a type of add-a-ball Multiball. Complete all five for Houdini letter. Completing all five will also start the Mini-Magician Mode called Movie Binge. You don’t have to complete each movie mode but how well you did at each mode will impact your scoring potential in Movie Binge.

Terror Island (Scoop, ramp, scoop, ramp) — Free the woman from the safe that was thrown in the ocean, then go back for the treasure.

Haldane of Secret Service (all about the spinner) — Escape the waterwheel. Each shot makes it spin faster until it breaks free

Master Mystery — Features Q The Automaton, the first ever movie robot, stop him from getting the woman or getting to the weapon — left orbit, right orbit, left orbit, right orbit. You only have X seconds to complete the next shot in the sequence, making it resets the clock (but less time that previous shot).

Grim Game — Move Houdini from plane to plane to rescue the woman (orbit, ramp, orbit)

Man From Beyond — This is a add-a-ball kind of mode. First bash the stage to free Houdini from the Ice (where he was frozen for 100 years), this will then put a second ball in play. Then shoot orbits X times to free him from his restraints in the insane asylum, another ball is put into play, then all the GI and Inserts turn off, except for three shots (and a moving ‘spotlight’ running through inserts). Only one of the three lit shots will pay off, you can figure out which by sneaking a peek at the display and spotting Houdini when the spotlight is on him. Shooting the correct shot scores a jackpot, and then Houdini will randomly move between the three shots.

NOTE: For most of the stage and movie modes, you can also hit one of the two ‘magic stand-ups’ targets, which are located on either side of the lower playfield to advance a step through the mode. When not in a mode, these targets will assist you in other ways, based on current state, typically adding ESCAPE, SEANCE or FILM letters. They will also trigger the magnets under the hands which will then twirl and throw the ball. There is an optional ball saver (controlled via settings), when the magnets are triggered via the targets (and when not in seance mulitball). Also, for most stage and movie modes, once the timer gets to 10 seconds or less, you can shoot the spinner to add time to the timer. You can up to 10 seconds to the timer.

JAIL ESCAPE HURRY-UPS
Color Code: Green

Spell E-S-C-A-P-E via stand-up targets begin a Jail Escape Hurry Up. Complete all five to earn a Houdini letter. Complete all five for the Great Jail Escape mini-magician mode.

E-S-C stand-up targets are shootable but the A-P-E letters are not. Use the pop bumpers and indirect shots to hit the A-P-E stand-ups. Complete X to earn Return From Beyond, also possible to earn Extra Ball if enabled in settings. Can be random or easy to hard based on settings. Complete all five for mini-magician mode.

SECRET MISSION COMBOS
Color Code: Pink

Houdini was rumored to be a spy for the US government - hence the secret missions! Each secret mission is a combo. Each combo gets progressively harder to complete. There are five different combos to complete. The secret missions are considered to be the hardest objective in the game to complete.

Secret Missions start at the scoop. Only one secret mission is active at a time. Complete it and you can then start the next. Complete all five for a mini-magician mode and a Houdini letter. The next shot in the sequence will be identified with a flashing purple arrow. If the sequence is broken, it will go back to the first shot of the sequence. They get harder as you go.

Combo Mission 1: chain together the ramp and scoop shots for 25,000
Combo Mission 2: chain together the right orbit and scoop shots for 50,000
Combo Mission 3: chain together the ramp, right orbit, and scoop for 75,000 and lits extra ball at the scoop
Combo Mission 4: chain together the right ramp, right orbit, lock shoot and scoop for 100,000
Combo Mission 5: chain together the milkcan, ramp, right orbit and scoop for 250,000

OUTLANE DRAIN MODES
Complete the task, continue your ball, fail and ball ends. The modes are:

Return From Beyond
You get 30 flips to spell seance (via mini stand-up targets). Earned by scoring X jackpots during seance multiball.

Escape Death
You get 30 seconds to spell ESCAPE (via stand-up targets). Escape Death is the harder of the two to complete. Earned by completing X jail escape hurry-ups.

You can also earn/light the outlane drain modes at Magic Shop. If earned there it will bounce from side to side with flippers. If earned via Seance or Escapes, it will not move. If you have earned one plus magic shop version, then both outlines are lit. You can only earn each once per game.

MAGIC SHOP “MYSTERY AWARD”
Color Code: Yellow

The Magic Shop is the place to get mystery awards. You’ll need to collect 8 items from the shop to get to the Master Magician Mode.

The magic shop is opened by the spinner. Once the Magic Shop is open for business you can get something from the shop by entering the “gobble hole” under the ramp. The direct shot to the gobble hole is through the Stage Alley lane through the pops. You can also bank it in off the theater curtain or use the pop bumpers to bounce it into the hole.

There are also Easter eggs at the Magic Shop that poke fun at some of American Pinball’s friends and competitors.

Magic Shop Awards:
Virtual Ball Lock
Extra Ball Lit
Playfield Multiplier
20 second Ball Save
Milkcan Multiplier Advance
Return from Beyond Lit
Escape Death Lit
Big Points (various amounts)
Hold Bonus
Bonus Multipliers (various award)
more???

There are settings to also you to earn a HOUDINI letter more easily or even multiple letters.

STACKING

You can stack multiballs on both stage and movie modes as well as other multiballs. You do have to start the modes first. Stage modes and movie modes can not be stacked with each other. Once a multiball is running, you can not start a movie or stage mode. Jail Escapes, starting of Secret Missions and Magic shop visits can occur if a mode is running, but not if multiball is running.

MULTIBALLS

Trunk Multiball
Color Code: Turquoise

By default the lock is lit at the start of the game. Stage Alley shot will lit the lock on subsequent locks. Shoot the right inner loop to catapult a ball into the trunk for each locked ball. Lock three balls in the trunk to start the Trunk Multiball. Three shots are lit for jackpots, complete those then shoot trunk (via inner loop) to score super jackpot and re-light jackpots. Super Jackpot will earn Houdini letter.

Seance Multiball - 3 ball
Color Code: Teal

Spell S-E-A-N-C-E to light at the scoop. The magnets will engage in this multiball. Spell seance to score jackpots, spell in order for super jackpot (very hard). Gets harder to light each time. Two jackpots during Seance Multiball will earn you a Houdini letter.

STACKING

You can stack multiballs on both stage and movie modes as well as other multiballs. Stage modes and movie modes can not be stacked with each other. Once a multiball is running, you can not start a movie or stage mode. Jail Escapes, starting of Secret Missions and Magic shop visits can occur if a mode is running, but not if multiball is running.

MILKCAN PLAYFIELD MULTIPLIERS
Color: Orange

The Milkcan loop (lower left loop) is a difficult shot that feeds the left inlane. Shooting the milkman loop feeds immediately followed by the ramp will increase the playfield multiplier for X seconds. Each time this 2 shot combo is hit advances the multiple from 2X to 3X to 4X. Starting a mode via Stage Alley with a max milkcan multiplier gives 8X scoring.

#2726 6 years ago

Tilt Forums won't let me post them there for some reason. Here is a link to a Google document. Feel free to leave comments and corrections and I will update the document until I can get this posted to Tilt Forums.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aE5RKe7v1XG6X0COCBoqWD1soqM6882SYVsa7aQvMMk

#2727 6 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

I had this happen on my game..the E switch is getting stuck closed depending on how it is hit(pushed to the left).And hitting it again usually frees it up.The switch stack needs to be tightened up somehow....since there are riveted together not sure what to tell you
I cannot give you a solution as my E switch and N switch were reversed and once I switched them that problem has stopped so far

I will look at that. Thanks.

#2728 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Houdini Rules
Rules compiled from the following sources: This Week in Pinball, Josh Kugler, SDTM, Konjurer, et al.
THE GOAL:
The goal of Houdini is to become the Master Magician and make it to the Master Magician wizard mode. You to the Master Magician Mode by spelling H-O-U-D-I-N-I. Each of the 7 letters of Houdini correspond to the 7 major areas of the game.
Becoming a Master Magician is very difficult due to the depth of the ruleset. You have to complete 20 modes, 5 combos, collect 8 awards, collect jackpots from 2 multiballs, and complete 3 mini-wizards modes. Simple, right?
The difficulty of getting to the end of the game can be adjusted in the settings so that Houdini letters are easier to achieve.
Progress towards the Master Master mode can be seen on a cool dashboard display by pressing both flippers before plunging. You can also see progress and by the chain link inserts on the playfield. Each major area of the game is represented by a different color as noted later in this document. Progress towards the end goal impacts your end-of-ball bonus.
OVERVIEW:
Skill shot – shoot moving red target for skill shot, shoot moving green target for super skill shot
10 Stage Modes
Vanishing Elephant
Chinese Water Torture
Indian Needle Trick
Walk through Walls
Handcuff King
Milkcan Escape
Metamorphosis
Card King (video mode)
Mini Wizard Modes
Master Magician Mode
For the Master Magician (Wizard) Mode, you must collect all the HOUDINI letters by:
Drain Modes
Return from Beyond
Escape Death
STAGE MODES
The stage modes are started in two ways. Bashing the theater curtain 3 times or by going through the Back Stage Alley shot hitting the red target at the back of the pops.
Vanishing Elephant — Three ramp shots move elephant into the crate, then stage to show crate empty.
Ramp 3 times
Stage
Chinese Water Torture — KeyLane to lower into tank, either orbit to close curtain, stage to open curtain and set Houdini free.
Key Lane
Either Orbit
Stage
Indian Needle Trick — All switches score X, magic and red standup targets increase value. Houdini pulls needles out of his mouth as shots are made.
All switches
Walk through Walls — To move Houdini through the wall, shoot one of the left shots, then one of center shots, then right shots.
Left Shot
Middle Shots
Right Shot
Handcuff King — Shoot the pops, every X hits results in a handcuff or chain being thrown out, hit it enough time to totally free Houdini. The number of handcuffs on Houdini and the number of pops needed to shed a handcuff is adjustable in the Feature Settings.
Shed 5 handcuffs
Milkcan Escape — Three shots through the lower left loop will lower him into milkman, rollout the screen and then show him free. This can be the most lucrative of the stage modes.
Milkcan Loop 3 times
Metamorphosis — Shoot trunk to lower Houdini into the trunk, then orbit to close curtain, then stage or trunk to open curtain to set Houdini free, and Bess then in the trunk.
Trunk
Orbit
Stage
King of Cards — A video mode where you are throwing cards (known as scaling) through moving hoops. The longer you hold the flipper in before throwing, the higher it will go, so you need to time it both for when you start and release your press. As you make shots, the hoops move faster, making three of the smaller hoop, will then light the smaller hoop for extra ball. It is possible to make both hoops with a single throw, which will double their value.
Straight Jacket Multiball — You have the option of ‘reversed flippers’ (left flipper button controls right flipper, right controls left) or ‘reversed and inverted flippers’, where flippers are reversed as described, but they are inverted, which means they are the up position and then drop when flipper button is pressed, so they become ‘release to flip’. Jackpots are doubled when inverted. A feature will soon be added that if you are ‘chimping’ the flippers (e.g. just hitting both at the same time) during this mode will result in a reprimand and the jackpot value will be reduced.
Hint: cross your arms so that your right hand is on the left flipper button and left hand is on the right flipper button. Your brain will work as intended and you should be fine.
Hint: Once you feel comfortable with the reversed flippers, try the “reversed and inverted” a few times. It is worth big points and it’s actually not that difficult.
Bullet Catch — Shoot trunk to lock a ball in upper catapult, then shoot moving target to lock in the site (and jackpot value which is decreasing while you try to hit the moving shot). Locking the site fires the gun, to get into a two ball MB. Then continue to hit the trunk shot (right inner loop) to lock and fire the gun again to score jackpots.
MAGIC TARGETS
The Magic Standup Targets help you in different ways depending on the current state of the game. Hitting a magic target can add escape letters, séance letters, or film letters. Hitting a target can also advance you a step during a Stage Mode or Movie Mode. The magic targets also engage the magnets.
MOVIE MODES
There are five modes based on Houdini’s movies. These modes are presented in black and white with an old film look and have a piano accompaniment. Failing to complete results in the film ‘burning’. One is a type of add-a-ball Multiball. Complete all five for Houdini letter. Completing all five will also start the Mini-Magician Mode called Movie Binge. You don’t have to complete each movie mode but how well you did at each mode will impact your scoring potential in Movie Binge.
Terror Island (Scoop, ramp, scoop, ramp) — Free the woman from the safe that was thrown in the ocean, then go back for the treasure.
Haldane of Secret Service (all about the spinner) — Escape the waterwheel. Each shot makes it spin faster until it breaks free
Master Mystery — Features Q The Automaton, the first ever movie robot, stop him from getting the woman or getting to the weapon — left orbit, right orbit, left orbit, right orbit. You only have X seconds to complete the next shot in the sequence, making it resets the clock (but less time that previous shot).
Grim Game — Move Houdini from plane to plane to rescue the woman (orbit, ramp, orbit)
Man From Beyond — This is a add-a-ball kind of mode. First bash the stage to free Houdini from the Ice (where he was frozen for 100 years), this will then put a second ball in play. Then shoot orbits X times to free him from his restraints in the insane asylum, another ball is put into play, then all the GI and Inserts turn off, except for three shots (and a moving ‘spotlight’ running through inserts). Only one of the three lit shots will pay off, you can figure out which by sneaking a peek at the display and spotting Houdini when the spotlight is on him. Shooting the correct shot scores a jackpot, and then Houdini will randomly move between the three shots.
NOTE: For most of the stage and movie modes, you can also hit one of the two ‘magic stand-ups’ targets, which are located on either side of the lower playfield to advance a step through the mode. When not in a mode, these targets will assist you in other ways, based on current state, typically adding ESCAPE, SEANCE or FILM letters. They will also trigger the magnets under the hands which will then twirl and throw the ball. There is an optional ball saver (controlled via settings), when the magnets are triggered via the targets (and when not in seance mulitball). Also, for most stage and movie modes, once the timer gets to 10 seconds or less, you can shoot the spinner to add time to the timer. You can up to 10 seconds to the timer.
JAIL ESCAPE HURRY-UPS
Spell E-S-C-A-P-E via stand-up targets begin a Jail Escape Hurry Up. Complete all five to earn a Houdini letter. Complete all five for the Great Jail Escape mini-magician mode.
E-S-C stand-up targets are shootable but the A-P-E letters are not. Use the pop bumpers and indirect shots to hit the A-P-E stand-ups. Complete X to earn Return From Beyond, also possible to earn Extra Ball if enabled in settings. Can be random or easy to hard based on settings. Complete all five for mini-magician mode.
SECRET MISSION COMBOS
Houdini was rumored to be a spy for the US government - hence the secret missions! Each secret mission is a combo. Each combo gets progressively harder to complete. There are five different combos to complete. The secret missions are considered to be the hardest objective in the game to complete.
Secret Missions start at the scoop. Only one secret mission is active at a time. Complete it and you can then start the next. Complete all five for a mini-magician mode and a Houdini letter. The next shot in the sequence will be identified with a flashing purple arrow. If the sequence is broken, it will go back to the first shot of the sequence. They get harder as you go.
Combo Mission 3: chain together the ramp, right orbit, and scoop for 75,000 and lits extra ball at the scoop
Combo Mission 4: chain together the right ramp, right orbit, lock shoot and scoop for 100,000
Combo Mission 5: chain together the milkcan, ramp, right orbit and scoop for 250,000
OUTLANE DRAIN MODES
Return From Beyond
You get 30 flips to spell seance (via mini stand-up targets). Earned by scoring X jackpots during seance multiball.
Escape Death
You get 30 seconds to spell ESCAPE (via stand-up targets). Escape Death is the harder of the two to complete. Earned by completing X jail escape hurry-ups.
You can also earn/light the outlane drain modes at Magic Shop. If earned there it will bounce from side to side with flippers. If earned via Seance or Escapes, it will not move. If you have earned one plus magic shop version, then both outlines are lit. You can only earn each once per game.
The Magic Shop is the place to get mystery awards. You’ll need to collect 8 items from the shop to get to the Master Magician Mode.
The magic shop is opened by the spinner. Once the Magic Shop is open for business you can get something from the shop by entering the “gobble hole” under the ramp. The direct shot to the gobble hole is through the Stage Alley lane through the pops. You can also bank it in off the theater curtain or use the pop bumpers to bounce it into the hole.
There are also Easter eggs at the Magic Shop that poke fun at some of American Pinball’s friends and competitors.
Magic Shop Awards:
Virtual Ball Lock
Extra Ball Lit
Playfield Multiplier
20 second Ball Save
Return from Beyond Lit
Escape Death Lit
Hold Bonus
more???
There are settings to also you to earn a HOUDINI letter more easily or even multiple letters.
STACKING
You can stack multiballs on both stage and movie modes as well as other multiballs. You do have to start the modes first. Stage modes and movie modes can not be stacked with each other. Once a multiball is running, you can not start a movie or stage mode. Jail Escapes, starting of Secret Missions and Magic shop visits can occur if a mode is running, but not if multiball is running.
MULTIBALLS
Trunk Multiball
By default the lock is lit at the start of the game. Stage Alley shot will lit the lock on subsequent locks. Shoot the right inner loop to catapult a ball into the trunk for each locked ball. Lock three balls in the trunk to start the Trunk Multiball. Three shots are lit for jackpots, complete those then shoot trunk (via inner loop) to score super jackpot and re-light jackpots. Super Jackpot will earn Houdini letter.
Spell S-E-A-N-C-E to light at the scoop. The magnets will engage in this multiball. Spell seance to score jackpots, spell in order for super jackpot (very hard). Gets harder to light each time. Two jackpots during Seance Multiball will earn you a Houdini letter.
STACKING
You can stack multiballs on both stage and movie modes as well as other multiballs. Stage modes and movie modes can not be stacked with each other. Once a multiball is running, you can not start a movie or stage mode. Jail Escapes, starting of Secret Missions and Magic shop visits can occur if a mode is running, but not if multiball is running.
The Milkcan loop (lower left loop) is a difficult shot that feeds the left inlane. Shooting the milkman loop feeds immediately followed by the ramp will increase the playfield multiplier for X seconds. Each time this 2 shot combo is hit advances the multiple from 2X to 3X to 4X. Starting a mode via Stage Alley with a max milkcan multiplier gives 8X scoring.

Or just watch the SDTM Deluxe review with J Kugler

#2729 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Houdini Rules
THE GOAL:
OVERVIEW:
10 Stage Modes
Vanishing Elephant
Chinese Water Torture
Indian Needle Trick
Walk through Walls
Handcuff King
Milkcan Escape
Metamorphosis
Card King (video mode)
Mini Wizard Modes
Master Magician Mode
Drain Modes
Return from Beyond
Escape Death
STAGE MODES
Ramp 3 times
Stage
Key Lane
Either Orbit
Stage
All switches
Left Shot
Middle Shots
Right Shot
Shed 5 handcuffs
Milkcan Loop 3 times
Trunk
Orbit
Stage
MAGIC TARGETS
MOVIE MODES
JAIL ESCAPE HURRY-UPS
SECRET MISSION COMBOS
OUTLANE DRAIN MODES
Return From Beyond
Escape Death
Magic Shop Awards:
Virtual Ball Lock
Extra Ball Lit
Playfield Multiplier
20 second Ball Save
Return from Beyond Lit
Escape Death Lit
Hold Bonus
more???
STACKING
MULTIBALLS
Trunk Multiball
STACKING

Thank you for your write up. I can tell it took some time. I learned a few things that I hadn't learned elsewhere

#2730 6 years ago

Thank-you,Rosh,I can hardly wait for the full package!! Art Blades,shaker,Magicglass,and another code for clarity!!! You guys rock! Also thank-you konjuror,I had no idea of half the features you have so deeply described!!

#2731 6 years ago

Soldering on quick disconnects? That certainly isn't best practice. Why?

Houdini Kludge.pngHoudini Kludge.png

#2732 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Open coin door, go to menu, exit menu. Start next game. We got quite good at it.

If you have PinRemote™ you don't need the key to open the coin door. Just your cell phone and the operator PIN...

#2733 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

If you have PinRemote™ you don't need the key to open the coin door. Just your cell phone and the operator PIN...

Turning the key is cheaper and fast enough.

#2734 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Turning the key is cheaper and fast enough.

For many users: yes it is. My MMR Orcs don't have LED glowing eyes and that is fine for me. Different needs & wants.

#2735 6 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Soldering on quick disconnects? That certainly isn't best practice. Why?

Why solder on quick disconnects? So that the connection doesn't fail in use. This type of connection isn't necessarily better when it comes to a pinball machine, lots of vibration. IIRC, I think it was WOZ that used quick disconnects on the flipper coils. Female side of the connection would eventually shake off of the spade, not good.

#2736 6 years ago

Yeah, great explanation. A lot of vibration in that catapult to rattle the screws out!

#2737 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Yeah, great explanation. A lot of vibration in that catapult to rattle the screws out!

I just discovered one screw was out of my lower catapult switch. Found it in the back of the cabinet.

I also saw the optic sensor came out again from the scoop. The playfield is so tight underneath you have to be real careful putting it back down.

#2738 6 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

I had this happen on my game..the E switch is getting stuck closed depending on how it is hit(pushed to the left).And hitting it again usually frees it up.The switch stack needs to be tightened up somehow....since there are riveted together not sure what to tell you
I cannot give you a solution as my E switch and N switch were reversed and once I switched them that problem has stopped so far

My right E switch contacts were too close together. Easy fix. Thanks again.

#2739 6 years ago

Bought this today to ease the sting of the wait over the next several months...

F39D4A0B-F88D-4413-BB00-6379FF58C962 (resized).jpegF39D4A0B-F88D-4413-BB00-6379FF58C962 (resized).jpeg

#2740 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

At the rate things are going, you probably have time to buy the Chinese version and learn to read the language......... (it was tongue in cheek folks...)

#2741 6 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

At the rate things are going, you probably have time to buy the Chinese version and learn to read the language.........

You’ve probably never bought a game from Spooky, Dutch Pinball, Heighway, Zidware etc. American Pinball is doing a great job for anyone not named Stern pumping these out. Look how long it’s taken Spooky to make 100 TNA’s.

#2742 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericc123:

You’ve probably never bought a game from Spooky, Dutch Pinball, Heighway, Zidware etc. American Pinball is doing a great job for anyone not named Stern pumping these out. Look how long it’s taken Spooky to make 100 TNA’s.

Lol, the only problem with your example is Many of the OEMs you listed have only delivered Promises and false hope. API is doing it slow and steady but in a Forward direction! Stern on the other hand while Fast follows the ship it now and figure it (fix, failure, code) later. Does not make for a happy client in most cases.

#2743 6 years ago

API is doing an amazing job getting these made each week at a steady pace. Another batch went out this week and more pinsiders will be posting next week about it.

#2744 6 years ago

API is doing an amazing job getting these made each week at a steady pace. Another batch went out this week and more pinsiders will be posting next week about it.

Any idea what number they are up too? Last I heard they were over 100 pins shipped and that was over 10 days ago.

#2745 6 years ago

API has done an amazing job,in a very short time.The game is amazing and well worth the wait!!

#2746 6 years ago

And it’s great to see the feedback is being incorporated right back into the game. I am glad a lot of the diehards got their games early and were able to articulate feedback - I don’t think I would have been able to do that. Rosh is pumping out the changes like crazy!

#2747 6 years ago

Houdini @ MGC (Midwest Gaming Classic)
There will be 4 Houdini's to play, stop by the Pincades/? Booth to play and check out the show specials and add on's.

JT

#2748 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Read that cover to cover as it was a Christmas present from my wife - was one of the convincing items in deciding to buy this game. The AP team did a phenomenal job keeping true to the man. You'll love the book

#2749 6 years ago

Can anyone let me know how you backhand the trunk lock shot? I've tried and can't seem to get it. I could see it being possible if I adjusted my flippers to be angled up more.

#2750 6 years ago

Mine is on a truck and will be here next week! Super excited, got to play a little on one up here at Pinball Jones in Fort Collins and loved it. Tight shots and kicked my butt, everything I want in a machine. Couldn't figure out much on modes but that is part of the fun for me I don't read much into the rules or things until I have the game. Couldn't get 3 ball locks in a game to save my life.

Any quick checklist of items to check or adjust that are common on unboxing?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/55 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.