20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 297.
#10251 4 years ago
Quoted from stevebighead:

Ordering my NIB today! My understanding is the speakers are set up differently. Can I still hook up an external sub? Do you owners find an external sub helps on this machine?

If it uses the same audio amp it should be simple. I built my own speaker and added a phono jack in the bottom of the machine
My game has the Lepai amp
310-308_ALT_1 (resized).jpg310-308_ALT_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_2224 (resized).JPGIMG_2224 (resized).JPG
IMG_2207 (resized).JPGIMG_2207 (resized).JPG
I mounted a phono jack from inside the cabinet
IMG_2216 (resized).JPGIMG_2216 (resized).JPG
From the bottom it is recessed so as to never be impacted when transporting the machine

#10252 4 years ago

I felt like my Houdini was playing a little "stiff". I slightly loosened the front leg bolts. What a difference! Gunching is more fun now, although I am getting more tilt warnings...

#10253 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

If it uses the same audio amp it should be simple. I built my own speaker and added a phono jack in the bottom of the machine
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
From the bottom it is recessed so as to never be impacted when transporting the machine

That's a nice installation. Very clean looking.

#10254 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very nice! I'm curious what your output wiring from the amp to the phono jack looks like? I have the amp wired to my Polk sub but the output is very low and muffled compared to other pins. I've played with the low pass and volume on the sub already. I wonder if an external low pass filter would help?

#10255 4 years ago

Are there any settings in the new software to put a ball save on when you hit séance targets? Every effing time I hit one it flies back and drains 50% of the time! So frustrating lol!

#10256 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Are there any settings in the new software to put a ball save on when you hit séance targets? Every effing time I hit one it flies back and drains 50% of the time! So frustrating lol!

Flail Harder!

#10257 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Mine is still running strong!

I had an issue with dead shots in the scoop, but Josh diagnosed it and is fixing. I also saw some delays on callouts that werent happening in the old code. I am playing the 4.19 code for now.

#10258 4 years ago

Still no response to my support email or service ticket. I guess they're just completely offline now.

#10259 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Still no response to my support email or service ticket. I guess they're just completely offline now.

Probably doing what they can from home.

I wish there was a better answer. In spite of everything they are still doing what they can.

LTG : )

#10260 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

doing what they can.

I might add. I am hoping none of them got sick. Things are tough enough as it is.

#10261 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

Still no response to my support email or service ticket.

Was it for this ?

"Anyone know if they are reading/answering support emails right now? I sent an email asking about getting the skill shot fix kit a couple days ago but I haven't heard anything."

With the lockdown, maybe they can't send parts. Techs working from home usually can't get to the factory.

I know it would be nice to at least know they got your information and will get to it when they can.

Maybe email them again ?

#10262 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Was it for this ?
"Anyone know if they are reading/answering support emails right now? I sent an email asking about getting the skill shot fix kit a couple days ago but I haven't heard anything."
With the lockdown, maybe they can't send parts. Techs working from home usually can't get to the factory.
I know it would be nice to at least know they got your information and will get to it when they can.
Maybe email them again ?

Emails are getting through.

But its taking a week or more.

Be patient.

#10263 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

Very nice! I'm curious what your output wiring from the amp to the phono jack looks like? I have the amp wired to my Polk sub but the output is very low and muffled compared to other pins. I've played with the low pass and volume on the sub already. I wonder if an external low pass filter would help?

I come direct off the amp and adjusted the amp settings as best as I could. My bass is not real deep or loud but still provides a nice accent. I don't use a powered sub either.

Quoted from GSones:

That's a nice installation. Very clean looking.

Thanks, My father was a German machinist who was always fabricating things.

#10264 4 years ago

Bug: entering in high scores erases one of the letters (example: enter in ABCD it’ll post ABC). Anyone else experience that?

#10265 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

Bug: entering in high scores erases one of the letters (example: enter in ABCD it’ll post ABC). Anyone else experience that?

Sadly, ever since I adjusted the rules to increase the difficulty, the opportunity to enter a high score has not presented itself...

#10266 4 years ago
Quoted from megaladon:

yes, known bug in beta, although normally it puts a = where the last letter goes. Will be fixed in next beta update

#10267 4 years ago
Quoted from seenev:

PM with the email address used on the ticket so I can check on it.

#10268 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

yes, known bug in beta, although normally it puts a = where the last letter goes. Will be fixed in next beta update

Thanks Rosh! This game is a tough one but satisfying when I finally figured out one of the shots it’s like my world opened up!

#10269 4 years ago

Okay, so I have never been able to figure this out, and I’ve had the game for about one and a half years (or longer).

Other than seeing the the stage modes on the small screen, is there a way to see how many you have completed? With the ball locks, the two locks on the playfield light up when each is locked.

Anything light up on the playfield to you know the number of completed stage modes?

#10270 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Okay, so I have never been able to figure this out, and I’ve had the game for about one and a half years (or longer).
Other than seeing the the stage modes on the small screen, is there a way to see how many you have completed? With the ball locks, the two locks on the playfield light up when each is locked.
Anything light up on the playfield to you know the number of completed stage modes?

hold the flipper down for the starus screen.

I do it before launching a ball sometimes.

#10271 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I'm not in front of the game, but don't the links of the chains show your progress in the Jailbreaks/stage modes/movie modes/etc?

#10272 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm not in front of the game, but don't the links of the chains show your progress in the Jailbreaks/stage modes/movie modes/etc?

I'm not near my games either during this nightmare so I can't look but IIRC the chains only show progress on Escape Missions (green), Movie Modes (blue) and Combos (Purple).

#10273 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm not near my games either during this nightmare so I can't look but IIRC the chains only show progress on Escape Missions (green), Movie Modes (blue) and Combos (Purple).

Correct.

hold the flipper down for the starus screen.
I do it before launching a ball sometimes.

Correct, hold flipper button for status screen.

#10274 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Thanks for the info. I figured out the links system for escapes and movies (not combos-so bonus info there), but figured there must be something similar going on for the stage modes. I will employ the flipper method going forward. Thanks again.

#10275 4 years ago

After the new beta code update I am finding Houdini reboots before it gets to the last ball during "Clear Houdini's Balls". Is anybody else experiencing this?

#10276 4 years ago
Quoted from tlukka:

After the new beta code update I am finding Houdini reboots before it gets to the last ball during "Clear Houdini's Balls". Is anybody else experiencing this?

PM rosh and see if he'd like the error log.

#10277 4 years ago
Quoted from tlukka:

Edit-these are Beta code issues.

Hummm.....haven't seen it because, i haven't tried that yet. I will also double check this one in a bit.
I had a Pm with a ball drain question. I know ive been on this thread awhile, but your always better off posting on this group Club thread for faster, group effort.
Ball drain taking awhile to register, say 10-15 seconds. Ive seen this few times, maybe a tracking issue.

#10278 4 years ago
Quoted from tlukka:

Have not heard about this, I'll check it out.

So, I have to ask, how often are you "clearing Houdini's balls"?

#10279 4 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Edit-these are Beta code issues.
Hummm.....haven't seen it because, i haven't tried that yet. I will also double check this one in a bit.
I had a Pm with a ball drain question. I know ive been on this thread awhile, but your always better off posting on this group Club thread for faster, group effort.
Ball drain taking awhile to register, say 10-15 seconds. Ive seen this few times, maybe a tracking issue.

Should never be more than a few, unless the game thinks there is a "lost ball", in which case it will wait an extra five seconds to see if the lost ball was found and is in play. If it takes 15 seconds, I'd like to see the log.

#10280 4 years ago

Playing a bit of Houdini on the Beta code this week.

Still no annoying issues, or anything worse than before.

One thing, I was cryng about the ramp being used as just a decoration, impossible to make etc...

Ok, I broke down and raised my left flipper power 1 notch...

Amazing difference!!! I can actually make the ramp fairly consistantly from a cradled position.

This comes with getting way more stage rejects from the left flipper.
Balls rocket off it like it was rubber lol.

Stage alley 2x lane no longer drops in cleanly etc.. much harder to hit, ball is travelling faster.

Keylane easier to hit!

As a solution, just make the stage from the right!

Its not perfect but then again it wasnt before lol.

So far this has opened up my game dramatically from where it was.

So, just like many other games, asymmetric flipper settings

Enjoying it again for the first time in a long time!

#10281 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Have not heard about this, I'll check it out.

So, I have to ask, how often are you "clearing Houdini's balls"?

lol... Not often. I was putting the Q mod in last weekend and I tend to clear balls before I lift the playfields. It's a good habit.

#10282 4 years ago

One thing, I was cryng about the ramp being used as just a decoration, impossible to make etc...
Amazing difference!!! I can actually make the ramp fairly consistantly from a cradled position.
Stage alley 2x lane no longer drops in cleanly etc.. much harder to hit, ball is travelling faster.
Keylane easier to hit!

What is your left flipper set at now? And right?

And was Kirkland Rum involved in the festivities?

#10283 4 years ago

Keylane easier to hit!

I did the same thing with the left flipper and can consistently make the ramp. There was a time when I just could not make consecutive shots on the ramp. The best I have made so far is 5 in a row. The ramp and loop shots can really help out in the bonus scores.

#10284 4 years ago
Quoted from tlukka:

lol... Not often. I was putting the Q mod in last weekend and I tend to clear balls before I lift the playfields. It's a good habit.

There is a passive stop to keep them from coming out of the trough into the shooter lane, but it is never a bad idea to remove them.

Quoted from sgorsuch:

The best I have made so far is 5 in a row. The ramp and loop shots can really help out in the bonus scores.

Consecutive ramps or loops act as a multiplier for the ramps or loops bonus, so getting 5 in a row, then makes your ramps 5 x total ramps when calculating a bonus, so consecutive ramps or loops early can continue to pay dividends. You can have 15 total ramps, then make 5 in a row, and now you are getting 100 ramps in the bonus calculation. Those shots also both have progressive scoring, so that 5th shot is pretty lucrative (50K) and the sixth would be 100K, it then resets back to the start.

#10285 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What is your left flipper set at now? And right?
And was Kirkland Rum involved in the festivities?

Switched to Kirkland Scotch Whiskey for its medicinal qualities....for the duration....

#10286 4 years ago

Keylane easier to hit!

I also raised the left flipper to recently to 24. It seems to make my scoop shot harder more than anything else.

#10287 4 years ago

Will someone explain pleae how movie binge works? The numbers start at 3 and goo up as you make shots, then go down as you make shots. Occasioinally one of the posters looms at you. I notice it adds balls after certain shots. Just not sure what is happening. Thanks.

#10288 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Will someone explain pleae how movie binge works? The numbers start at 3 and goo up as you make shots, then go down as you make shots. Occasioinally one of the posters looms at you. I notice it adds balls after certain shots. Just not sure what is happening. Thanks.

I love this question. 2nd...Rosh??

#10289 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I love this question. 2nd...Rosh??

Movie binge can be incredibly lucrative and probably the easiest mini-wizard to reach, especially if you are have a groove on the inner loop.

Off the top of my head . . .

Each movie is mapped to one of the main five shots.
You need to complete three of those shots to collect the movie (that is when it zooms)
The value is what you scored on the movie * number of balls in play
movie values and shots needed are shown on screen
another ball is put into play (once per movie)
Collecting all 5 movies, scores 250,000, and 'resets' the shots, now requiring double the number of shots to collect a movie.

You obviously don't go for your highest scoring movie first, but try to get a few balls in play to get the multiplier up. I try to work across the shots to get them all down to 1, and then quickly add balls and collect.

#10290 4 years ago

Hey all, mine shipped with the code below.
Is it pretty straightforward to download right to new beta or do I need to take another step first? Ty!
55FD96F3-A8E1-4B67-8FE9-34AC062AD36D (resized).jpeg55FD96F3-A8E1-4B67-8FE9-34AC062AD36D (resized).jpeg

#10291 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Hey all, mine shipped with the code below.
Is it pretty straightforward to download right to new beta or do I need to take another step first? Ty!

I'd read the instructions in the manual. Page 9-175. If you don't have the manual, you can download it from american-pinball.com just to familiarize yourself of the process. Doesn't look hard.

#10292 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

You can go straight to beta, however, you will need to modify the file name since you are on very old code. After downloading the file remove the version info from the file name, so the file is just named . . .

houdini-gamecode.pkg

Then just follow the standard instructions on how to update code. This is the only time you will need to change the file name.

#10293 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

There is beta code for Houdini that has been in test for a couple of months. I had hoped to release it officially last month, but, I have not been able to carve out time to respond to a few issues that were found in the beta. Right now my focus is on getting HW code ready for submission to Mattel for approval.
I'm not sure when I'll get back to Houdini, could be a week or two, could be a month. Overall the issues with the beta are pretty minor, and no doubt this code is a nice improvement from the last release. Since there is going to be a delay before it will be official, and given that the issues raised are relatively minor, anyone who wants to install the beta code is welcome to do so . . .
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yYNutTlgBKa5EgKbSkk8IxSNift2tIPp

Most current beta above. ^^^^^^^^^^^
Expand that post open.

#10294 4 years ago

Love this game and my game has 130 plays, is it normal? Never owned Nib over the 20yrs lol, 1st picture is it what to expect on Nib games? One is a larger pockmark that I can feel with my finger. 2nd picture just a 20 mod for gold tmolding adds class. Thanks Eric for the Houdini marquee to match!

E19AC62A-15D7-4BEF-A1A6-03849E3D0F58 (resized).jpegE19AC62A-15D7-4BEF-A1A6-03849E3D0F58 (resized).jpeg80B41EA1-ACCD-43A9-904B-283D480768E9 (resized).jpeg80B41EA1-ACCD-43A9-904B-283D480768E9 (resized).jpeg
#10295 4 years ago

That gold moulding POPS.

#10296 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

That gold moulding POPS.

Only 20 bucks on amazon!

#10297 4 years ago

Can you send me the link?

#10298 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Can you send me the link?

20ft Roll of 3/4" Plastic... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G7FQTS9

#10299 4 years ago

Ordered.. Ill try it out. Thanks!

#10300 4 years ago
Quoted from HarryReimer:

Ordered.. Ill try it out. Thanks!

Yeah no problem just be careful when you pull the original off don’t put it too fast or you might tear at the wood. I need to add a little wood glue toward the end to make sure it stays in place but looks perfect. What do you think about the gouges? I know there’s thousands of post about it but if you can feel it with your finger is that a concern?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 206 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/206 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.