20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 297.
#601 6 years ago

All this talk of Houdini reminds me of the rather awesome Kate Bush song about Houdini... she plays the wife that slips him a key with her kiss before each underwater escape:

warning: this is the beginning of her "art rock" period and may not be for everybody

#602 6 years ago

rosh/jim/jolly/joe -

had the op to play Houdini and speak with both Jolly and Jim @ pin a-go-go. given your upcoming shows this weekend, I have a suggestion that may improve player experience when playing Houdini. as you are aware the lower pf is not well lit. in addition, your flipper bats are black rubber with a rust orange ornament. they are set against pf art which is black/dark purple. they do not stand out for the player. they are dark against dark in the poorest lit area of the pf.

the first two images below are from pin a-go-go. the second set of two are from Allentown, in well lit conditions. I didn't consider the Dixon hall poorly lit, but as you can see it was not easy to see the flippers. furthermore, for a game that offers play features of reverse and reverse/inverted flippers it's important for the player to be able to see which flipper has been activated by a push or release of the flipper button.

I believe your players/customers will have more fun playing if you can better contrast the flippers from the pf. my suggestion is to replace the black rubbers with white or yellow. if the entire bat itself is black rubber consider swapping them out for a lighter color.

houdini1 (resized).jpghoudini1 (resized).jpg
houdini2 (resized).jpghoudini2 (resized).jpg
houdini3 (resized).jpghoudini3 (resized).jpg
houdini4 (resized).jpghoudini4 (resized).jpg

#603 6 years ago

I talked to Penn & Teller briefly about the then new Houdini book postulating he may have been a spy. Penn said it was far-fetched but an interesting book. I felt the same. This one is the best i've read, and i've read them all:

https://smile.amazon.com/Houdini-American-Self-Liberator-Eclipsing-Sensation/dp/0060169788/ref=sr_1_8

I still don't like the "Spirit" board in the pin. He spent so much of his career dispelling the lie of conjuring up spirits. He wouldn't have spent one minute on a quija board. If you can't find anything better, at least putting an "X" thru the thing might make a statement that would reflect him truthfully, or write "FAKE" on it - that would be a real statement.

The way it is, it links him to the very things he stood so steadfastly against.

#604 6 years ago

Forgot about that book.....Indeed a very informative read!

Great that you shared!

I have no doubt in my mind he was a "spy", but to the extant.....well, maybe romanced enough today
as the word gives sultry meanings.

I always found his voice interesting.....spaced vocalization, but wonder if people would listen to him today:

His fathers background and childhood, is familiar to me, growing up with a Matriarchal Rabbi in the family background.
Knowing his religious upbringing, his personal battles with this and his wife, the spirit world had roots prior to the social
phenomena, when with new technology, and social awakening, the public became obsessed talking with the dead.

I wonder if we will see this focus and believe ever come back in mass some day.....can you imagine?

Theres a magic auction this weekend, listed on Ebay, with a few pieces, autographs, assigned to him.

I tried a few times to see Copperfields collection...no luck...anyone here have the pleasure?

In those that played the game, since I havent seen the modes, can you share?
Any that are Magic Trick oriented, or any Video modes?

(More in the line of Pinball Magic, than ESP guessing on GB)

#605 6 years ago

Houdini makes Star Wars look really bad.

#606 6 years ago

Maybe I'm touchy because my surname starts with a Q, but it's Ouija, not Quija.

Oui (French for yes) + ja (German for yes)

#607 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The company is called "ACCOUTREMENTS"?! This must be a pinside gag

They are based here in Seattle, their retail store is called Archie McPhee's and it's a crazy place to visit. That's the brand the manufacturer a ton of their toys and decorations under. Great stuff!

#608 6 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Forgot about that book.....Indeed a very informative read!
Great that you shared!
I have no doubt in my mind he was a "spy", but to the extant.....well, maybe romanced enough today
I always found his voice interesting.....spaced vocalization, but wonder if people would listen to him today:
» YouTube video
His fathers background and childhood, is familiar to me, growing up with a Matriarchal Rabbi in the family background.
Knowing his religious upbringing, his personal battles with this and his wife, the spirit world had roots prior to the social
phenomena, when with new technology, and social awakening, the public became obsessed talking with the dead.
I wonder if we will see this focus and believe ever come back in mass some day.....can you imagine?
Theres a magic auction this weekend, listed on Ebay, with a few pieces, autographs, assigned to him.
I tried a few times to see Copperfields collection...no luck...anyone here have the pleasure?
(More in the line of Pinball Magic, than ESP guessing on GB)

Even in that voice link you sent, he goes to great lengths to explain that there "is nothing supernatural" in what he is about to do. That was SO important to him. Please do something about the "Spirit" board in the pin - maybe write "Fake" or "Exposed" across it.

The recording is poor and makes his voice sound different than what we would hear in-person, obviously. I bet that was a way they talked in such contexts in his day. He'd sound different in cadence today just being a product of our times. It would be really cool if someone copied his voice and some of his sayings in the new pin - like they did with Elvis.

Also, Houdini was extremely fit. I don't know if people realize how fit the guy had to be, and was.

Thanks for posting this!

#609 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

if the entire bat itself is black rubber consider swapping them out for a lighter color.

We have moved to a purple for the flipper rubber here in the office. I'll mention it to Joe so if we a set he can bring a set out. Not sure that is the best color, but certainly provides more contrast.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I always found his voice interesting.....spaced vocalization

It was like a 'carnival barker' kind of patter, which certainly fits with his early career and the way performances of this nature were done at the time. You will notice that when Houdini speaks in the game, we have replicated that patter of speech, and even added some static, to capture the feel. Houdini only talks when performing illusions, the rest of the time we have a 'narrator'. There are very, very few recordings of his voice.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

although this is debated, my take is, if he was a spy, not like he wold have been talking about it. Accordingly, we have included this in the game as a set of 5 combo shots. You start a 'secret mission', and that combo remains active until you complete it, you can then start the next. Whatever the next shot in the sequence is, it is lit bright purple, it then resets to the first shot, once the combo sequence is broken).

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

There are two sets of modes, there are 10 started at the stage, which are based on his illusions and escapes. One of these will be a video mode, tied to his ability to toss playing cards (known as 'scaling'). There are then 5 modes tied to his movie career, one for each of the movies he did. They are presented in Black and White, with an old film look to them, to help indicate it is a movie mode and to capture the feel for those old movies -- which all but one pretty much suck. Bit of trivia, Mastery Mystery featured 'Q the Automaton', which was the first robot to ever appear in a motion picture. The term robot was not coined until a year later.

Hopefully soon we will get around to do some video of game play, we just don't have the right setup yet.

Quoted from Ricflair:

I still don't like the "Spirit" board in the pin. He spent so much of his career dispelling the lie of conjuring up spirits. He wouldn't have spent one minute on a quija board. If you can't find anything better, at least putting an "X" thru the thing might make a statement that would reflect him truthfully, or write "FAKE" on it - that would be a real statement.

Obviously including his very strong belief in the after life, and his desire to contact those from the beyond as well as his debunking of those who he believed were fakes and conning people, had to be included in the game. We choose the spirit board as a way to capture that aspect, since it is a recognizable symbol of that arena. In addition, since it was a spirit board that led to the end of his friendship with Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle (which I assume everyone here knows wrote the sherlock holmes stories), it seemed an appropriate symbol. So, while I understand your point, I do think our use of it is appropriate in capturing that aspect of his life. We do plan to have some trivia screens in the attract mode, so we will provide some further background around this.

#610 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Obviously including his very strong belief in the after life, and his desire to contact those from the beyond as well as his debunking of those who he believed were fakes and conning people, had to be included in the game. We choose the spirit board as a way to capture that aspect, since it is a recognizable symbol of that arena. In addition, since it was a spirit board that led to the end of his friendship with Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle (which I assume everyone here knows wrote the sherlock holmes stories), it seemed an appropriate symbol. So, while I understand your point, I do think our use of it is appropriate in capturing that aspect of his life. We do plan to have some trivia screens in the attract mode, so we will provide some further background around this.

I knew rosh would have a good explanation for this - him and Joe have spent countless hours going over Houdini's legacy - there's no way they'd overlook something as obvious as this. Let's go guys, I want one!

#611 6 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

Even in that voice link you sent, he goes to great lengths to explain that there "is nothing supernatural" in what he is about to do. That was SO important to him. Please do something about the "Spirit" board in the pin - maybe write "Fake" or "Exposed" across it.

To make one more comment on this, he was a very strong believer in the afterlife and spent a lot f time in hopes of being able to communicate to his mother in the great beyond. He also had a secret phrase he shared with his wife Bess, so that she would know it was really him if she tried to connect with him via a seance. Magicians gather every year, at his grave site, on the anniversary of is death (halloween), to performa a seance, so, it is an interesting thing that he was a strong believer, yet spent so much time debunking fakes.

#612 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

To make one more comment on this, he was a very strong believer in the afterlife and spent a lot f time in hopes of being able to communicate to his mother in the great beyond. He also had a secret phrase he shared with his wife Bess, so that she would know it was really him if she tried to connect with him via a seance. Magicians gather every year, at his grave site, on the anniversary of is death (halloween), to performa a seance, so, it is an interesting thing that he was a strong believer, yet spent so much time debunking fakes.

I've always wondered about this too - the best I could come up with is that Houdini may have been skeptical about the supernatural en masse, but reserved the right to be wrong. My speculation is he only debunked actively/aggressively the people he felt were obvious fakes. His secret password and the seances also were really good publicity for him, even after his death. Gotta protect the brand!

I love Mrs. Houdini's quote after she stopped doing the seances: "Ten years is enough to wait for any man." LOL

#613 6 years ago

At some point in his life he became convinced that we could not make contact with the dead, nor could they with us. That is different from believing in an afterlife - it just means that there is no contact. So one can hold both views reasonably like he did, it seems to me.

I see where the spirit thing relates that, and while i think it needs to be adjusted to show that he debunked that medium harshly and with fervor, it certainly won't stop me from buying the pin. Thanks for hearing me out.

I agree, he skeptically gave Bess a key word or phrase so that she would know if he found a way.

I am "psyched" about this pin!!!

#614 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

...Bangerjay had done a tilt bob helmet for his olympics. Where the tilt bob was suspended from a helmet a foot in front of your face, and you had to hold your head still to not tilt. I watched my buddy CraigC play a 10 minute game and never tilt, and I could not last 15 seconds (of course I was drinking tequila).

That's awesome! I've got to rig something like that up.

#615 6 years ago

The Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show is happy to announce we will feature the Northwest debut of Houdini this weekend at the show! Houdini will be in the Nitro Pinball booth the entire 3 days of the show on free play, so get your game on!

Saturday, June 10th, from 11am-12pm, catch Joe Balcer and Jolly from American talking on the seminar stage! Along with designing Houdini, Joe Balcer was also a pinball designer for The Simpson’s Pinball Party, Apollo 13, South Park, Star Wars Trilogy and Starship Troopers. Hear Joe talk a little about his past and game design, as well as game development at American Pinball and what it took to get a working prototype together in just 4 months! Hear about Houdini's current status, American's future plans, and bring a question or two for a Q & A with the audience! For those of you that can't make it, the talk will be live streaming on the web at:
http://www.nwpinballshow.com/live-stream

The 2017 Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show takes place June 9th - 11th at the Tacoma Convention Center in Washington State! The show features over 400 pinball and arcade machines from the 1950s to today, tournaments, world record high score attempts, vendors, seminars, guest speakers, raffles and prizes. This convention draws 4,000 collectors, players and fans of classic coin-op games.
This is our 10th show! Expect more games, more tournaments, more vendors, more speakers and lots of cool things to see and do! All 400+ games at the show will be on freeplay the entire weekend!

Joe Balcer (resized).jpgJoe Balcer (resized).jpg Houdini Playfield (resized).jpgHoudini Playfield (resized).jpg
2017 final flyer big for pinside (resized).jpg2017 final flyer big for pinside (resized).jpg

#616 6 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

The Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show is happy to announce we will feature the Northwest debut of Houdini this weekend at the show! Houdini will be in the Nitro Pinball booth the entire 3 days of the show on free play, so get your game on!
Saturday, June 10th, from 11am-12pm, catch Joe Balcer and Jolly from American talking on the seminar stage! Along with designing Houdini, Joe Balcer was also a pinball designer for The Simpson’s Pinball Party, Apollo 13, South Park, Star Wars Trilogy and Starship Troopers. Hear Joe talk a little about his past and game design, as well as game development at American Pinball and what it took to get a working prototype together in just 4 months! Hear about Houdini's current status, American's future plans, and bring a question or two for a Q & A with the audience! For those of you that can't make it, the talk will be live streaming on the web at:
http://www.nwpinballshow.com/live-stream
The 2017 Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show takes place June 9th - 11th at the Tacoma Convention Center in Washington State! The show features over 400 pinball and arcade machines from the 1950s to today, tournaments, world record high score attempts, vendors, seminars, guest speakers, raffles and prizes. This convention draws 4,000 collectors, players and fans of classic coin-op games.
This is our 10th show! Expect more games, more tournaments, more vendors, more speakers and lots of cool things to see and do! All 400+ games at the show will be on freeplay the entire weekend!

You left off WOZ and TH from Joe's impressive resume! (don't let him forget he had to work on Baywatch and turned into a great game despite the crap theme!)

#617 6 years ago

Josh.....we need a Houdini at dpo expo 2017.

#618 6 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

Northwest debut of Houdini this weekend at the show! Houdini will be in the Nitro Pinball booth

Any news Nitro..
Hows the Houdini reception?

#619 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Any news Nitro..
Hows the Houdini reception?

Has been a line at Houdini since the show opened, sometimes short, sometimes longish, but always somebody waiting to play. I played a couple (short cause I suck) games, looks good, lots of shots, cool stuff.

#620 6 years ago

Yes, has Great tight shots and lots of them. This machine has combo's all over it. Looking forward to code developing by say, Expo in Oct.

Quoted from BorgDog:Has been a line at Houdini since the show opened, sometimes short, sometimes longish, but always somebody waiting to play. I played a couple (short cause I suck) games, looks good, lots of shots, cool stuff.

There was similar line all weekend at PAGG to.

#621 6 years ago

Houdini has been a hit at SFGE with a consistent line so far. I played it once so far and enjoyed it.

#622 6 years ago

I played Houdini at TPF in March and again today at NWPAS. Feels like the code has taken a giant leap forward, it's a fun pin but man are those shots especially on the right side tight. Not sure if it has that 'one more game' appeal but definitely will play again tomorrow and see if I can find it.

#623 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballwil:

Josh.....we need a Houdini at dpo expo 2017.

Yes and i will be taking my piggy bank and take it home with me
There is no way you are leaving with that houdini pin at DPO,if i touch it,it's mine.

#624 6 years ago

I got to play Houdini a couple of times today at the NW Show and was very impressed. A very cool looking game that was fun to play as well!

I also was fortunate to be able to attend American Pinball's presentation at the show and liked what they had to say regarding the game. I will be keeping tabs on Houdini as a potential purchase in 2018!

#625 6 years ago

Want to thank all of you that came by to play Houdini at SFGE and PinballNW. I really enjoyed talking with so many of you at SFGE and appreciate all the kind words about Houdini, as well as ideas and suggestions. Also want to thank those that came to our seminar, and were willing to list to me talk for an hour (especially since its as dinner time), but hopefully you found the jeopardy style of our talk fun, and heck, free T-shirts are always great.

While there was always a line at SFGE, they were not so long that I'm pretty sure anyone who wanted to play, was able to get a chance with out too long a wait and I certainly saw many players coming back to play again and again. I want to think Flip N Out pinball for hosting us and the SFGE staff, who were great hosts as well. Also want to thank Marco specialities for giving me a nice comfy stool on Sunday so I could sit but still talk to those on line and while playing, since my legs had turned to jello by that point. Also want to thank Nitro for hosting Houdini, Joe, Jolly and Dhaval up at the NW show.

I only have the stats for SFGE, but there were over 450 games played when I left Sunday afternoon, and the catapult fired with 96% accuracy. I won't have data from the NW show until the machine makes it way back to us.

The great folks from pinball undesirables, did stream Houdini play for about 3 hours. They have given us a copy, and we will pull some sections of it and post it in the not too distant future, so those who have not seen Houdini in person can see some game play. We probably need to hide the faces of those playing to protect their identities, so will take a little bit of time until we convert the format, crop, edit, etc.

Now back to the code . . .

#626 6 years ago

This games look amazing hopefully it plays as well as it looks!

#627 6 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

This games look amazing hopefully it plays as well as it looks!

It does. It needs polish as expected but the lay out the flow and the ideas in code just seem to indicate this company has been building for many many years! Joe thanks for the game now you have to convince the better half!

#628 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

While there was always a line at SFGE, they were not so long that I'm pretty sure anyone who wanted to play, was able to get a chance with out too long a wait and I certainly saw many players coming back to play again and again.

I heard good things about the number of orders placed at the show, congrats!

#629 6 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Joe thanks for the game

Joe only reads pinside when I point him at stuff, so I'll pass it along. I know he enjoyed talking with you and others out there in the pacific northwest. I heard you and a pretty good game when you played, and glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Quoted from Aurich:

I heard good things about the number of orders placed at the show, congrats!

As everyone knows orders are going to distributors and not us, but feedback I've heard from our distributors after each show has been great as far as what they are hearing from their customers and the numbers putting down deposits and/or putting their names on the list. That kind of feedback only further fuels our desire to make this a kick ass game.

While we obviously can't take every suggestion or idea and fold it into the game, I do get some great ideas from talking to folks, wether for modes, or features or voice calls, etc (often on ow to help make the objectives more clear). When you live and breathe the game all day, every day, and know it like the back of your hand, shows provide a great way to see the play of the game through the eyes of others. I think I had wrote down about three dozen ideas based on conversations or just watching game play relative to making things better. So, again, I want to thank those that took the time to talk and give me their thoughts. For those at the NW show, or at SFGE, who did not get a chance to talk with me, feel free to PM me with your thoughts.

#630 6 years ago

I played the game multiple times over the weekend at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show and rapped with Joe, Jolly and Dhaval a bit about the game and company. The game was really well received, the line was usually 5-10 people deep the entire show save for a few times. I bet it got a ton of plays and only went down once for a short bit. There was quite a bit of buzz going around about it and people talking about buying it. Really impressive first game and great integration with the monitor in the back box... I really liked the curtain and audience heads in the backglass making the monitor not look like a straight up rectangle too, it was the best framing I've seen of any game with an lcd screen in the backglass. Can't wait to play Houdini out on location when it's released. We really appreciated American bringing it to our show and people to talk about it.

#632 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Is there an eta for release?

Let's not start THAT!

#633 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The great folks from pinball undesirables, did stream Houdini play for about 3 hours. They have given us a copy, and we will pull some sections of it and post it in the not too distant future, so those who have not seen Houdini in person can see some game play. We probably need to hide the faces of those playing to protect their identities, so will take a little bit of time until we convert the format, crop, edit, etc.
Now back to the code . . .

Save yourself some trouble and put a sign beside or above the game on a banner that states that if people play they acknowledge that they can be filmed for promotiobal purposes and forfeit the right to compensation. $30 saving you hours of editing video.

#634 6 years ago

Save yourself some trouble and put a sign beside or above the game on a banner that states that if people play they acknowledge that they can be filmed for promotiobal purposes and forfeit the right to compensation. $30 saving you hours of editing video.

Unfortunately that's not good enough in the US - you have to have proof (aka a waiver) that the person knows they were being filmed and knows their image would be used for promo purposes. Otherwise they could sue and argue in court they "didn't know they were being filmed". Yes this has happened.

#635 6 years ago

Just figured with all the talks on the game lately, I would throw this out there again. $100.00 preorder deposit gets you on the pre order list for a Houdini. Fully refundable. remember no tax if delivered out side of my state IN.
Pincades
219-924-(PINS) 7467

#636 6 years ago

A lot of recent conversation about proprietary boards/operating system and it has become a legitimate concern regarding one of the struggling new company's. I'm hoping Houdini will be using a P-Roc system much like TBL did for possible future needs. And if so, I'm also wondering if code will be open source.

My apologies if this has already been covered. I'm very interested in the game as everything so far has hit my sweet spot.

#637 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Let's not start THAT!

I just never heard of any so i was just wondering. Sorry for farting in your humidor LOL.

#638 6 years ago

Last I heard, American Pinball was working towards release by the end of this year.

#639 6 years ago

Save yourself some trouble and put a sign beside or above the game on a banner that states that if people play they acknowledge that they can be filmed for promotiobal purposes and forfeit the right to compensation.

Footage was already taken, so too late for that. Of course, anyone playing it had to know it was being recorded/streamed, since not like you can miss the cameras. Regardless, we need to crop/edit it, so not a big deal, just a matter of when do I get around to it.

Is there an eta for release?

We plan to be shipping games before the end of the year. So far we continue to be on track for that.

Quoted from Mr68:

I'm hoping Houdini will be using a P-Roc system much like TBL did for possible future needs. And if so, I'm also wondering if code will be open source.

Houdini will be using the P-roc system and unlike TBL which used the P-roc but then created their own driver boards, we are using the ones the 'P-roc' driver, switch and Led driver boards. Not sure if TBL is using P-roc or P3-Roc, which is slightly different.

While I continue to give back code to the pyprocgameHD-SkeletonGame, the foundation of the system and the same that TNA is using, we have not made a decision if the game code will be open source, but I would not bet on it.

#640 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

A lot of recent conversation about proprietary boards/operating system and it has become a legitimate concern regarding one of the struggling new company's. I'm hoping Houdini will be using a P-Roc system much like TBL did for possible future needs. And if so, I'm also wondering if code will be open source.
My apologies if this has already been covered. I'm very interested in the game as everything so far has hit my sweet spot.

Good question, I was talking with Joe at the show, but forgot to ask about the boards.

#641 6 years ago

Thanks Rosh!
By end of the year.
That's what I heard strait from the source at PAGG, and they were saying the same thing at NWPS 2 weekends ago.
But, its ok, lets be patient and let them release a complete game, time tested, and complete code.
I will be buying one for sure. Yes id like it by christmas, but if its next spring, im ok with that to.
Lets have the team take there time and not hammer them if it takes longer.

#642 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

While I continue to give back code to the pyprocgameHD-SkeletonGame, the foundation of the system and the same that TNA is using

This is one of the things I admire about you and others who do the same. Speaks well of your company too.

Quoted from rosh:

we have not made a decision if the game code will be open source, but I would not bet on it.

I totally get it from a business stand point and I won't be dissuaded either way. I love everything I'm hearing so far.

#643 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I've always wondered about this too - the best I could come up with is that Houdini may have been skeptical about the supernatural en masse, but reserved the right to be wrong. My speculation is he only debunked actively/aggressively the people he felt were obvious fakes. His secret password and the seances also were really good publicity for him, even after his death. Gotta protect the brand!
I love Mrs. Houdini's quote after she stopped doing the seances: "Ten years is enough to wait for any man." LOL

Houdini indeed debunked many frauds. Believe it was his wife(?) who went to seances under the fake name of 'Frances Raud'.
Frances Raud = F. Raud = FRaud. Get it..? A clever play on words- and she would help expose the fakes.
Regarding the fraudulent spiritualist mediums, Houdini uttered one of my favorite quotes: "Anyone can talk to the Dead. But they do not listen."

#644 6 years ago
Quoted from rammstein99:

Houdini indeed debunked many frauds. Believe it was his wife(?) who went to seances under the fake name of 'Frances Raud'.
Frances Raud = F. Raud = FRaud. Get it..? A clever play on words- and she would help expose the fakes.
Regarding the fraudulent spiritualist mediums, Houdini uttered one of my favorite quotes: "Anyone can talk to the Dead. But they do not listen."

ha! I never heard that, that quote is awesome. I did know his wife acted as a reverse plant but hadn't heard the name before. that's great!

#645 6 years ago

Houdini was at Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo and was *very* playable. I had my equipment with me and thanks to Josh at American Pinball I think we now have the first real gameplay video!:

To be completely honest, this wasn't a game that was really on my radar until I got the SFGE and saw and played it. This is an extremely well put together machine that plays well, and even with the early code was absolutely intriguing. This is a game I'm going to be keeping my eye on going forward as I'm excited to see where it is by the end of the year.

#646 6 years ago

Wow this is a really nice video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. Nice game, looking better each time!

Quoted from pbu:

Houdini was at Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo and was *very* playable. I had my equipment with me and thanks to Josh at American Pinball I think we now have the first real gameplay video!:
» YouTube video
To be completely honest, this wasn't a game that was really on my radar until I got the SFGE and saw and played it. This is an extremely well put together machine that plays well, and even with the early code was absolutely intriguing. This is a game I'm going to be keeping my eye on going forward as I'm excited to see where it is by the end of the year.

#647 6 years ago

Fantastic video from what I saw of it. 2.5 hours is way too much video for me but I watched quite a bit of it.
This pretty much seals the deal for me on this machine. I'll be coming out of my NIB hibernation for this one.

#648 6 years ago

Where's the water torture figure? Wasn't that on there earlier?
That's his most-known trick. Gotta be prominent on the playfield. Please!
Maybe i just can't see it for some reason. But that's way more known than the milk container i am seeing on there.

Why another playfield with a "phone-looking" device? Don't recall this on earlier playfields. A lot of people don't care for that on "Dialed In' - why is it here too? I sure hope this doesn't beat out the water-torture figure from being there.

#649 6 years ago

Would love too see a under play field picture of this game!
Interesting to see how far this game has come since its debut

#650 6 years ago
Quoted from Ricflair:

Why another playfield with a "phone-looking" device? Don't recall this on earlier playfields. A lot of people don't care for that on "Dialed In' - why is it here too?

I think Alien is doing this phone feature also and you are the first person I've heard complain about it. I happen to love it and can see great possibilities for its use.

There's only so much real estate to work with on a playfield. If you wanted the water-torture or something else, it could be displayed on that screen and become ingratiated into game play. For example, beat the mode, the animation begins with the glass on the torture chamber breaking and you flood into multiball.

I do agree the water-torture feature is paramount for this game and I'd surprised if it were to be left off.
(Get on it Josh)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.