DAEFCFC0-B275-498B-97BA-5E4E403F1D5E (resized).jpeg
352FF1BE-6845-456D-8C15-1CD54C3E6629 (resized).jpeg
396F82D7-E6B4-4172-964B-0D5D041A46EB (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
thumbnail (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 289 of 290.
#14401 27 days ago

If anyone has any Houdini mods they no longer need/want, shoot me a PM. Picking one up this weekend.

#14402 27 days ago

Anyone looking for a loaded Houdini that doesnt want to pay 8k new Cash or trade. Huo loaded with mods and all upgrades. Easy garage pick up in Delaware or meet for trade.

#14403 26 days ago

What an awesome way to kick off the weekend! After bringing this beautiful pin home just before the holidays, I finally had an amazing game. Spelled Houdini and got into master magician. Over 47 min of playtime. That was a BLAST!!!

0DD2D98D-14FD-44B3-A6F1-BB1ADBE1B3C8 (resized).jpeg
#14404 22 days ago

Having a fair amount of clean shots to the milkcan loop bounce directly back onto the playfield instead of bending around the sharp elbow to the inlane. Seems that lowering right flipper power helps but doesn’t solve this. Any advice is appreciated.

#14405 21 days ago

Drop dead foam?

#14406 21 days ago
Quoted from jacksparrow0112:

Having a fair amount of clean shots to the milkcan loop bounce directly back onto the playfield instead of bending around the sharp elbow to the inlane. Seems that lowering right flipper power helps but doesn’t solve this. Any advice is appreciated.

I bent the loop/altered it a bit so its not so sharp in the corner.

#14407 18 days ago

Big shoutout today to Ericpinballfan for hooking me up with his amazing planchette mod. Looks great on the game and nails theme integration. He is also great to work with. Can’t stop looking at this thing. 10 out of 10!

80E5C976-7153-4CD8-B96C-187B1BB5F941 (resized).jpeg
#14408 18 days ago

Big shoutout today to Ericpinballfan for hooking me up with his amazing planchette mod. Looks great on the game and nails theme integration. He is also great to work with. Can’t stop looking at this thing. 10 out of 10!
[quoted image]

It is a nice mod. I think most of the Houdini mods are nice in that they seem pretty tasteful and integrate nicely into the game. One of my favorites is the facade at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1080-the-mod-couple/01864-api-houdini-api-grand-theater-3d-facade-makeover-mod

#14409 18 days ago

[quoted image]

Grab the Flashinstinct target decal set. They really add to the finishing touch look. Cheap too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1054-flashinstinct/01503-houdini-target-amp-metal-guide-decal-set

#14410 17 days ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Grab the Flashinstinct target decal set. They really add to the finishing touch look. Cheap too.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1054-flashinstinct/01503-houdini-target-amp-metal-guide-decal-set

Can you post a couple pictures of them installed?

#14411 17 days ago

[quoted image]

Blushing emoji. Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate all my costumers and proud of how many Houdini's I've been able to improve.
Lifetime Warranty too!

#14412 17 days ago

Hey guys:

Quick question about the Houdini knocker kit.

I know I will have to change the settings to physical knocker but does this physical knocker activate more frequently than the standard 'digital sound' knocker?

I don't mind the standard 'digital' knocker that my Houdini currently has but would buy the physical knocker kit if it activated more frequently and for various modes.

Thanks.

Roger

#14413 17 days ago
Quoted from Stebel:

I bought a set of them and after I received it, didn't install since they are very thin, like paper, and do not have any impact cushion like some other sets do. They look like they will wear out pretty quickly. I could imagine me cleaning sticky residue off of all the targets a few months after I installed it once they wore out, so I decided not to use them. I have a set for free if anyone wants it....

#14414 17 days ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hey guys:
I know I will have to change the settings to physical knocker but does this physical knocker activate more frequently than the standard 'digital sound' knocker?
I don't mind the standard 'digital' knocker that my Houdini currently has but would buy the physical knocker kit if it activated more frequently and for various modes.
Thanks.
Roger

Update: For match features, the software just sends the knocker signal to a hardware driver instead of a sound event. But as Eric points out below, it can be used for other events as well, where the startling sound might be distractive but the physical knock feels more integrated.

#14415 17 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

No, it activates the exact same number of times with the same purpose. The software just sends the knocker signal to a hardware driver instead of a sound event. Same logic otherwise.

But, the knocker works great with several of the mods, especially the elephant and ball lock.
Knocker is a great upgrade to Houdini.

#14416 17 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

But, the knocker works great with several of the mods, especially the elephant and ball lock.

… and the Bullet mode, especially when you have multi-ball going. In my humble opinion this is the best use of a knocker I have seen. I thought the rather minimal investment was well worth it. Josh hit it (almost said “knocked it’” - but I’d never be that corny) out of the park with that bit of programming.

#14417 17 days ago

I bought a set of them and after I received it, didn't install since they are very thin, like paper, and do not have any impact cushion like some other sets do. They look like they will wear out pretty quickly. I could imagine me cleaning sticky residue off of all the targets a few months after I installed it once they wore out, so I decided not to use them. I have a set for free if anyone wants it....

For what it’s worth, I’ve had this set installed for years without issue. No peeling or any other issues. I decided to not put the seance ones on for aesthetic reasons, but installed the rest.

#14418 17 days ago

My Houdini came with those stickers installed 4 or 5 years ago. They are still in fine shape

#14419 17 days ago

Looks like I was the first to respond so I want to thank Mark for the generous offer.

#14420 17 days ago
Quoted from rogerdodger:

Hey guys:
Thanks.
Roger

Thanks for the responses guys..... Much appreciated...

Roger

#14421 17 days ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Not quite right, on Houdini, besides match and replay the knocker is only used for bullet catch. It really adds to it if you set up the right jackpot shot, but that its the only place it is used. The shaker on the other hand is used in quite a few places (elephant, ball locking, seance, pops, escapes) and I highly recommend it.

On Oktoberfest the knocker gets a bit more use (duck hunt, target shooting, bumper cars). In Hot Wheels uses it for Loop Crash Multiball. The thing with the knocker, is you want to be very selective and judicious in using it.

#14422 17 days ago

Clever use of a solenoid that had a single purpose in pinball for 6 decades. Great stuff Josh

Quoted from rosh:

Not quite right, on Houdini, besides match and replay the knocker is only used for bullet catch. It really adds to it if you set up the right jackpot shot, but that its the only place it is used. The shaker on the other hand is used in quite a few places (elephant, ball locking, seance, pops, escapes) and I highly recommend it.
On Oktoberfest the knocker gets a bit more use (duck hunt, target shooting, bumper cars). In Hot Wheels uses it for Loop Crash Multiball. The thing with the knocker, is you want to be very selective and judicious in using it.

#14423 17 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thank you again and again for you have done for Houdini.
Are you still involved in pinball?

#14424 16 days ago
Quoted from wolftownjeff:

Thank you again and again for you have done for Houdini.
Are you still involved in pinball?

I worked on rules, story, script, code and directing on AP's next game, but yes, I am working on pinball things besides that. I'll be able to share more later in the year.

#14425 16 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

I worked on rules, story, script, code and directing on AP's next game, but yes, I am working on pinball things besides that. I'll be able to share more later in the year.

That’s good to hear. I own a Houdini and the rules and functionality of that game are great. Pinball wouldn’t be the same without you.

#14426 15 days ago

I have the modfather acrylic color changing LED topper that came with my game I’d like to sell. Not necessarily a huge topper guy. First $175 offer takes it ($225 new). Shoot me a PM with any questions.

BCC77458-857E-4438-BDA0-8ED76277BB47 (resized).jpeg
#14427 15 days ago

Hi everyone,
I have a big problem with mine.
when I play, in full part my Houdini reboots and restarts.
have you ever encountered this problem.
I am in France and sorry for my English.
Dominique

#14428 15 days ago
Quoted from Dom69:

Hi everyone,
Dominique

Is your have a newer build or an older one?

Go you have the upgraded power supply?

What version is the code on your game?

#14429 15 days ago
Quoted from Dom69:

Hi everyone,
Dominique

Mine occasionally does this too when playing a long game with a good score and I have the upgraded PSU.

#14430 14 days ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

Mine occasionally does this too when playing a long game with a good score and I have the upgraded PSU.

THis happens because your settings can only handle 2-3 free games. Ill have to find the email from the tech that left the company a few months ago. But I sent him logs on my best game crash and he said you had to change something in replays. Ill have to find the email....

edit....found it....Dave said I had to change "Replay Levels" If it is set to 4 or more it needs to be set to 3 or less..

#14431 14 days ago

Still no leaks on a new AP game? Geez

#14432 14 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

THis happens because your settings can only handle 2-3 free games. Ill have to find the email from the tech that left the company a few months ago. But I sent him logs on my best game crash and he said you had to change something in replays. Ill have to find the email....
edit....found it....Dave said I had to change "Replay Levels" If it is set to 4 or more it needs to be set to 3 or less..

That's great news. I have that happen only with whopping scores. I will make that change.

#14433 13 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

OK thanks for that and I will check those settings.

#14434 12 days ago

Lots of distributors still selling pre-reservations on Houdini, so they must have a batch of those coming this year too…

#14435 12 days ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

OK thanks for that and I will check those settings.

I have changed that setting to 1 and it seems to have fixed that problem of resarting when long game with high score. Thanks!

#14436 12 days ago
Quoted from Optimiser:

I have changed that setting to 1 and it seems to have fixed that problem of resarting when long game with high score. Thanks!

Glad it works. Have a loaded Houdini if anyone wants in. I like the game but really want wonka for my next pin

#14437 12 days ago

Lots of distributors still selling pre-reservations on Houdini, so they must have a batch of those coming this year too…

I sure hope so! I’ve got orders in for Houdini and Hot Wheels. I’ve been wanting Houdini for a couple of years now. Hot Wheels wasn’t something that was on my radar, until getting to play one at IAAPA Expo last November, and, wow, it was really great fun. I’m not sure which one I’m looking forward to the most now!

#14438 11 days ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Seems like if AP knows this, it would be easy to push out a bugfix update that limits replay levels so people who are unaware of how to fix the issue don't think their machine is defective.

#14439 11 days ago

New owner questions:

My game was made 3/18, so I assume I need the power supply fix. Do you still receive a credit when ordered? I'd like to get the eos and knocker, so a credit would be good.

Has anyone wired in an external sub? As there's no sub in the game, I assume this would be a big upgrade. My assumption is I'll have to just split the amplifier input and take that to the sub.

How do you upgrade the code? I put the newest code on a usb and it says copying for a brief second, then it just has a message that the update succeeded (even though it didn't). Pic:

8669312B-6E43-41D2-8473-C308E9B7680A (resized).jpeg

#14440 11 days ago
Quoted from Damonator:

New owner questions:
My game was made 3/18, so I assume I need the power supply fix. Do you still receive a credit when ordered? I'd like to get the eos and knocker, so a credit would be good.
Has anyone wired in an external sub? As there's no sub in the game, I assume this would be a big upgrade. My assumption is I'll have to just split the amplifier input and take that to the sub.
How do you upgrade the code? I put the newest code on a usb and it says copying for a brief second, then it just has a message that the update succeeded (even though it didn't). Pic:
[quoted image]

The Amp has a sub out on it.

You never know about the power supplies.

Post a pic of yours to be sure.

#14441 11 days ago
Quoted from Damonator:

New owner questions:
[quoted image]

Looks to me like you're saving settings and scores to usb. The download should be from api, to the USB stick. Turn the game off... Insert USB and turn the game on. It should download the code from there. Sorry if this is redundant or I misunderstood...
Edit... Also you do still get a credit from api. Agreed with previous poster... Post a Pic of the power supply

#14442 11 days ago
Quoted from Soundkillr:

Looks to me like you're saving settings and scores to usb. The download should be from api, to the USB stick. Turn the game off... Insert USB and turn the game on. It should download the code from there. Sorry if this is redundant or I misunderstood...
Edit... Also you do still get a credit from api. Agreed with previous poster... Post a Pic of the power supply

Yes - I downloaded the latest PKG file from API to a freshly formatted USB stick then inserted into the game. There's a brief flash that says "downloading update" or something then I get the message above (and the update doesn't work).

Pic of power supply:

528960D4-FB0D-4D20-88CD-F05244F44767 (resized).jpeg

#14443 11 days ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Yes - I downloaded the latest PKG file from API to a freshly formatted USB stick then inserted into the game. There's a brief flash that says "downloading update" or something then I get the message above (and the update doesn't work).
Pic of power supply:
[quoted image]

You have and old original "toroid" power supply.

Try a different USB stick.

I use Kingston and SanDisk ones and they have worked for me. The Kingston ones seem to have the best compatibility across devices.

#14444 11 days ago
Quoted from Damonator:

How do you upgrade the code? I put the newest code on a usb and it says copying for a brief second, then it just has a message that the update succeeded (even though it didn't).

Congrats on your new game!

Not having the update "take" is usually a problem with the filename. Since you're coming from a very old build (that maybe has original software?), make sure the name of the update package on the USB stick is "houdini-gamecode.pkg" -- with no date or "(1)" or other such oddities in the name.

If you're still having problems, refer to this document to verify that your USB stick is formatted the way the game expects:

http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-2/USB-drive-formatting-procedure.pdf

Hope this helps!

#14445 11 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Seems like if AP knows this, it would be easy to push out a bugfix update that limits replay levels so people who are unaware of how to fix the issue don't think their machine is defective.

Does anyone have a pic of the setting we are supposed to change? Replay levels are under what catagory?

#14446 11 days ago

Settings > Replay (looks like a starburst) > Replay Levels -- keep it less than 4, and you should be OK.

#14447 11 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Congrats on your new game!
Not having the update "take" is usually a problem with the filename. Since you're coming from a very old build (that maybe has original software?), make sure the name of the update package on the USB stick is "houdini-gamecode.pkg" -- with no date or "(1)" or other such oddities in the name.
If you're still having problems, refer to this document to verify that your USB stick is formatted the way the game expects:
http://s4.american-pinball.com/img/support/2021-2/USB-drive-formatting-procedure.pdf
Hope this helps!

That was it! The version I downloaded from API had the version appended to the file name. Renaming it to houdini-gamecode.pkg worked great. Thank you!

#14448 11 days ago
Quoted from Damonator:

That was it! The version I downloaded from API had the version appended to the file name. Renaming it to houdini-gamecode.pkg worked great. Thank you!

Yay! Thanks Ferret !

#14449 11 days ago
Quoted from Damonator:

New owner questions:
[quoted image]

I used a Pinnovators pin sub kit($35) and a nice Sony external sub. It dramatically sounds better.

#14450 10 days ago
Quoted from Damonator:

Great, glad I could help!

FYI, that was just an anomaly when upgrading from very early software. You shouldn't have the same problem again if/when we release any future code updates.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westtown, NY
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
Decals
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro
Pinball Machine
6,600 6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Hartford, CT
$ 7,245.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
There are 14,476 posts in this topic. You are on page 289 of 290.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/289 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.