20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 297.
#2251 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Who gives a rat's ass whether Kaneda likes it or not? Play the game and make up your mind for yourself.

And taking it one step further... "Play <INSERT GAME NAME HERE> and make up your own mind for yourself!" Way too many people need to be told what games are good.

#2252 6 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

Just listened to Kaneda's review of Houdini and I thought it was very fair. Kaneda hated BM64 and now owns one so he'll have a better day with Houdini once he finds one where he can hear the music and callouts and it is set up properly. I think it's fair to say that not everyone is going to love it. I did. I really loved it.
I do think the tight shot reputation is WAY overblown. It like a self fulfilling prophesy thing. It looks tight and so therefore when I brick a shot it feeds into that expectation that its so tight that you're never going to find the shot.
Every machine worth playing has tough shots! I have a KISS and everyone bitches about the right ramp being impossible to hit. Once you figure out how to backhand then you hit it every time. Yet, the orbit through the bumpers is impossible for me to hit. And when I do connect with that shot it feels freaking great. Now if KISS made the completion of every mode dependent on that left orbit I would hate the game. Like Houdini, KISS gives me other paths to take to get around that shot. It makes the game fun and challenging to get through. Do you really want a game that every shot is equally as easy to hit?

So, how do you backhand right ramp on KISS?! Only done it accidentally...

#2253 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Seems to vary from machine to machine. We had a Premium on route where you could pretty easily do it on demand. I have an LE where it's essentially impossible and only happens every now and then by accident. I have no idea what accounts for the difference, and since I played both, it was clear to me that there WAS some kind of difference.

#2254 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Haha this is perfect. Why isn’t there a Z in the initials? I know you talked about this before, but I never figured it out.

It's a shame the No lightning bolts bonus got taken out.

#2255 6 years ago

Any news on the Side Blades rosh ?
Have been checking the AP store everyday and still not on the site to purchase

#2256 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Any news on the Side Blades rosh ?

They're an option for pre-installed now, for sure. $99 to add them at the factory.

Magic Glass $295, Mid March.

Shaker Motor - Lost somewhere on a boat in the Pacific, apparently. No word.

#2257 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This from VividPsychosis’ post about the tight Houdini shot. Literally the same instructions for the KISS shot!!!

“backhand is literally at the top of the flipper. After trapping, just release flipper and the rehit it. Only let go long enough so that it doesn't hit the bottom of the sling. Once you get it down, you will prefer the backhand over the forehand, everytime. Its like butter and hits the shot clearly, unlike my backhand to the left stage lane.”

I nail it 95% of the time on KISS. I’m guessing Houdini will be the same. You need to let it drop for just a fraction of a second to clear the bottom of the sling.

#2258 6 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Haven not seen sales guy around the last few days. But if you don't see them on the store in the next day or two just email [email protected]

Quoted from aobrien5:

It's a shame the No lightning bolts bonus got taken out.

Was a little too much of an 'inside joke' to keep on there for the long run and hopefully plenty of folks got a chuckle along the way before we pulled it off, but, we did stick to the no Zs in the game (in the high score you are putting it in, not us), well actually somewhere on the playfield . . . . Rosh sits backs and chuckles as he knows Houdini owners will now be searching the playfield

Quoted from PinMonk:

Shaker Motor - Lost somewhere on a boat in the Pacific, apparently. No word.

Jim, the guy who needs to finish up some engineering on the shaker motor kit has been doing final machine review/testing, once we are comfortable that others can preform that work he will get back to it. While not every game has been 100% perfect out of the box, I think you all have seen that overall there have been few issues and that is a result of Jim and Joe reviewing and adjusting every machine before they go into the box.

#2259 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I think you all have seen that overall there have been few issues and that is a result of Jim and Joe reviewing and adjusting every machine before they go into the box.

Think it's near impossible to build on mass with no issues , that being said ... The quick build time, and the almost instantaneous addressing of even the smallest of issues... Gives AP a lot of credit for their accomplishment!
Pinball is hard , however communication between customer and manufacturer in this case is beyond reproach!

#2260 6 years ago

Got notice of shipment ....cant wait.
I had a feeling it would be the week I would be tied up at work lol. Typical pinball timing for me lol.

#2261 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

however communication between customer and manufacturer in this case is beyond reproach!

#2262 6 years ago

Here is another good video of game play. Always amazes me when you watch a really good player make it seem so effortless. Pretty impressive scores considering he did not know the rules or strategy.

#2263 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Here is another good video of game play. Always amazes me when you watch a really good player make it seem so effortless. Pretty impressive scores considering he did not know the rules or strategy.
» YouTube video

Thank you rosh for posting and the compliment

As I spoke about during the stream I really like the theme and flow of the game. Lots of fun modes and the 30 flip limit to spell seance was really cool. Yes we did notice some bugs but honestly I am very excited for what this game will become. Great work so far I enjoyed myself thoroughly!

image1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpeg

#2264 6 years ago

Got our blades installed yesterday. Very nice.

1D9BCC3B-D332-40D3-9C53-DBB392E18F23 (resized).jpeg1D9BCC3B-D332-40D3-9C53-DBB392E18F23 (resized).jpeg

3B3DBA01-4253-4A53-8C2E-434950AF90BF (resized).jpeg3B3DBA01-4253-4A53-8C2E-434950AF90BF (resized).jpeg

#2265 6 years ago

Side blades are now on AP'S site for purchase.

#2266 6 years ago
Quoted from 6point5degrees:

Side blades are now on AP'S site for purchase.

Thanks, just ordered a set.

#2267 6 years ago

Pincades is in the building @ Louisville arcade expo
Come on by and play Houdini

20180302_111237 (resized).jpg20180302_111237 (resized).jpg

#2268 6 years ago

I don't like mirror blades at all. These blades look very nice on this game.

#2269 6 years ago
Quoted from cwales:

Got our blades installed yesterday. Very nice.

Those look awesome

#2270 6 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Pincades is in the building @ Louisville arcade expo
Come on by and play Houdini

I’m sorry but that LOTR is Over the Line Donny! Nice setup!

#2271 6 years ago

I had the opportunity today to see a friends Houdini unboxing and assist with helping set up the game as well as play a few games on it. What a cool game, here's some of my initial impressions.

Value: You are getting a lot of game for $7k compared to the competition. I would say that a Houdini offers as much value as a Stern LE for about $1000-$1500 less (depending on Stern LE and features). The powder coat on Houdini blows the powder coat quality from Stern away, it has a very nice high quality (and textured) feel to it. Also, the real backglass on Houdini is impressive and is something typically only seen on today's game that cost another $1k+. Houdini doesn't feel or look like a standard model game.

20180303_140259 (resized).jpg20180303_140259 (resized).jpg

Build quality: Build quality seems especially good on this game. The cabinet quality is top notch and is used with what appears to be a high quality plywood similar to JJP games (no particle fill like Stern...). Also, the black side interior of the game isn't the typical spray paint job by Stern but rather some type of laminate or other coating similar to that found on JJP games. Thanks American Pinball for also putting the power button in the traditional and easy access location.

20180303_141315 (resized).jpg20180303_141315 (resized).jpg

Features: This game is packed with features for the price and interactive ones at that. The main catapult shot worked perfectly out of the box and after a dozen or so plays we really didn't encounter one issue. There's a subway, two catapult shots, magnets, metal habit rails, mini LCD toy, rotating stage to, etc. The game is loaded.

20180303_133239 (resized).jpg20180303_133239 (resized).jpg

Attention to detail: I was very impressed to find the covers for the spotlights to be painted to match the powder coat, that's a nice touch. It was also surprising to see the weegie board piece made out of actual wood. The purple flipper bands on purple post covers also standout. I noticed that the warning information on the back of the backbox is silk screened on versus the stickers that JJP is now using. Overall there's a lot of nice extra touches spread throughout the game.

20180303_133617 (resized).jpg20180303_133617 (resized).jpg
20180303_133649 (resized).jpg20180303_133649 (resized).jpg

#2272 6 years ago

Panzer, nice review, Thanks.
Im about 10 days out from getting mine.
The excitment builds.

#2273 6 years ago

PanzerFreak enough toys??

#2274 6 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

panzerfreak enough toys??

Yes! I think I may be ordering one of these.

#2275 6 years ago

Plenty of toys! I concur with PanzerFreak.
Lots to do, feels like a quality built machine, solid. Has that “heavy” solid feeling like a JJP or Williams. Very tight shots, but keep you coming back for more. You get a lot of pinball for the price. I found it very entertaining, and the catapult lock shot....awesome! Blows Aerosmith out of the water.

#2276 6 years ago

Got my houdini for little more than a week now.

Can anyone tell me what's your coil setting for the upper catapult? for the past 30 games or so it doesn't make it, most of the time it just hit the upper entrance/ring and falls back down on the plastics or in the orbit, i know someone said something about it not too long ago.

#2277 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Got my houdini for little more than a week now.
Can anyone tell me what's your coil setting for the upper catapult? for the past 30 games or so it doesn't make it, most of the time it just hit the upper entrance/ring and falls back down on the plastics or in the orbit, i know someone said something about it not too long ago.

Does it have the famous shooter housing mod yet? What color?

#2278 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Does it have the famous shooter housing mod yet? What color?

not yet, laser cutting everything.
it will probably be yellow amber to match the steam punk look.

but i already have a mod installed (prototype) still waiting for more parts, will let everybody know when it's ready.

#2279 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Can anyone tell me what's your coil setting for the upper catapult? for the past 30 games or so it do

Had the same issue , put a 1/4 spacer to lift up the wire form now works flawlessly. Mine was always hitting the top of the form ...

#2280 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Had the same issue , put a 1/4 spacer to lift up the wire form now works flawlessly. Mine was always hitting the top of the form ...

Could you post a pic of this, area? Thanks

#2281 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

thanks for the infos. yeah that's exactly my problem.

what's your coil setting?

#2282 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Could you post a pic of this, area?

Sure....
Coil setting "8"

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2283 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Sure....
Coil setting "8"

yeah, make sense.
if i remove the first screw it goes back up to it's natural position about 1/4" higher.
also the ex post is a little to the left, had to push it to the right a little so the screw doesn't go sideway (i can see that in your picture).

made a 1/4" spacer, problem fixed.

not a big of a deal but they should add a 1/4" spacer.

wired ramp entrance (resized).JPGwired ramp entrance (resized).JPG
wired ramp entrance fixed (resized).JPGwired ramp entrance fixed (resized).JPG

#2284 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

Or just use a taller hex standoff to begin with.

#2285 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Or just use a taller hex standoff to begin with.

That was my next question. Whats the height of that hex post?

#2286 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

In the big scheme of things , minor issue! Now that they think they may be an issue , I'm sure it will most likely be corrected!
Biggest reason that this is my first NIB is how AP communicates and resolves issues!
If the can do this in under 2 years , can hardly wait to see what they achieve in 5 years!

#2287 6 years ago

Want to make a quick introduction, Barry Engler BarryJ is the service manager here at American Pinball, and has decided to join the craziness that is pinside. Guess he figured he would rather hear about things directly vs me relaying the info.

Lets try to be nice and not scare him off

#2288 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Want to make a quick introduction, Barry Engler barryj is the service manager here at American Pinball, and has decided to join the craziness that is pinside. Guess he figured he would rather hear about things directly vs me relaying the info.

Barry can you talk to the warehouse to get mine shipped soon!

#2289 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Want to make a quick introduction, Barry Engler barryj is the service manager here at American Pinball, and has decided to join the craziness that is pinside. Guess he figured he would rather hear about things directly vs me relaying the info.

Rosh....can you buy Heighway Pinball please....

#2290 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Barry can you talk to the warehouse to get mine shipped soon!

Quality takes time. We are doing our best to get games out the door. I even help on the final line. It's worth the wait

#2291 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Quality takes time. We are doing our best to get games out the door. I even help on the final line. It's worth the wait

I believe it! You guys are doing a stellar job. This whole process has been executed so well, and the additional scrutiny put on the whole process means no stone left unturned. Really amazing. Josh and Joe Balcer really impressed me talking with them at PinFest last year and you could tell how proud they were, it was all over their faces. It comes across in the game too. Hurry! Haha

#2292 6 years ago

Put a few games in on Houdini over the weekend in a home environment.

I really enjoyed it. Its not an easy game, but the tight shots are rewarding.

Fit and finish was excellent. Game was solid right out of the box, catapult and all. The art package, animations, and attention to detail are very refreshing.

I see one in my future.

#2293 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Rosh can you buy DP and get the Lebowskis out please

#2294 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Speaking of which, are you going to change the hex standoff to a slightly taller one so the ball makes the shot into the wireform more reliably? (Pictures posted earlier in this thread)

#2295 6 years ago
Quoted from Guzz4851:

Plenty of toys! I concur with PanzerFreak.
Lots to do, feels like a quality built machine, solid. Has that “heavy” solid feeling like a JJP or Williams. Very tight shots, but keep you coming back for more. You get a lot of pinball for the price. I found it very entertaining, and the catapult lock shot....awesome! Blows Aerosmith out of the water.

Yeah I agree, shots felt great and there's a good blend of challenging and easier shots. I've been reading what I can find about the games ruleset and it seems like a very deep objective based ruleset.

I just placed an order today on a Houdini with the side art blades, looking forward to getting it in maybe a few months.

#2298 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Speaking of which, are you going to change the hex standoff to a slightly taller one so the ball makes the shot into the wireform more reliably? (Pictures posted earlier in this thread)

Actually the standoff is the right height. Being a wire ramp there are slight differences between wire ramps and different ramp runs. A different wire ramp might sit perfect were yours does not. Regardless, what you need to do is adjust the coil strength.

With that being said...........Our preliminary manual is available on line under the "SUPORT" tab, select resources and download the manual.

Go to section 3-10...bottom of page and follow the "TO CALIBRATE COILS AFTER MOVING OR RE-LEVELING HOUDINI" section, LMK if there are any problems, but modifying the ramp should not be needed!

#2299 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Actually the standoff is the right height. Being a wire ramp there are slight differences between wire ramps and different ramp runs. A different wire ramp might sit perfect were yours does not. Regardless, what you need to do is adjust the coil strength.

Haven't got ours yet, but I'll bear this in mind...

#2300 6 years ago

Welcome Barry!
So does this mean we will 2 AP reps dealing with all the questions?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14,818 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 297.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread/page/46 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.