20180426_162959 (resized).jpg
76C6C594-C5E2-42C3-B0BA-DC6FB65B5334 (resized).png
33583E42-C6C2-435C-B301-C95470FBEA1F (resized).png
IMG_1470 (resized).jpeg
20230531_171203 (resized).jpg
20230530_210512 (resized).jpg
0F6D3A86-9F6A-43B3-A1FA-F4155ECAB32A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

41 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #145 Houdini Pinball initial flyer Posted by HighProtein (7 years ago)

Post #184 Initial reveal at TPF Posted by SilverballNut (7 years ago)

Post #190 Introductory Price of Houdini Posted by 1iblind (7 years ago)

Post #198 Initial Pictures of Machine Posted by lllvjr (7 years ago)

Post #229 Playfield Close-Up Pics Posted by bigd1979 (7 years ago)

Post #284 Machine feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #312 More feature details Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #385 Double switch lane picture Posted by pinballrockstar (6 years ago)

Post #420 Pinball show appearance schedule for Houdini Posted by rosh (6 years ago)

Post #434 Houdini pics from Allentown show Posted by PinballSTAR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ltg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

377 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ltg. You are on page 1 of 2.
8 months later
#1406 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Dilly Dilly to the Magician amongst us!

LTG : )

#1421 6 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

Where to get it?

Contact them : http://american-pinball.com/

http://www.pinballstar.com/ Lists the game. Also posts here on Pinside as Pinballstar

#1437 6 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

(rosh now sits back and waits for suggestions to be thrown out)

Magician pulling a rabbit out of the hat, rabbit goes "poof" and turns into match number.

#1466 6 years ago

How about Houdini returns as a zombie and chases numbers around and the one he catches and eats is your match number.

#1474 6 years ago

Drop a safe in the water. Match number escapes in a bubble and when it rises above the water it pops and reveals the number.

1 month later
#1825 6 years ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

In the factory photos , what is the difference between a HOU1234 and a HOU1234D

Maybe a difference between export and Domestic ?

1 month later
#2546 6 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Can the flipper power be increased

Yes it can. You should have mentioned this issue to them so they could adjust it.

#2628 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Anyone else experiencing inconsistencies with general coil strengths? Lower canon, scoop, flipper strength all seem to change from game to game.

Makes me wonder if your power to the game is fluctuating ?

1 week later
#2799 5 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

where did that come from?

Is there a captive ball anywhere that you didn't install ?

#2849 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Where is this switch so I can see why it's stuck closed? I must be blind as I don't see a switch or opto
on either wire ramp exit.

Might not be at the exit, might be on the way there. Like the optos I circled in MT45's picture.

645793d3569a46d4d4a46e7e12182031299ece64 (resized).jpg645793d3569a46d4d4a46e7e12182031299ece64 (resized).jpg

#2858 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

So does a switch go red in switch test if it doesn't see activity in so may games, like Bally/Williams?

So many games or so many balls.

#2899 5 years ago

Looks like that plastic needs to be farther over to the right. Or raised up a little. See my yellow arrow.

22cc8dbc9c6ba4337ee01c1c0c6f603e3e5e9ba7.jpeg (resized).jpg22cc8dbc9c6ba4337ee01c1c0c6f603e3e5e9ba7.jpeg (resized).jpg

#2902 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is there something on the ramp stopping the ball?

Look closely, it is stuck under the edge of the plastic under the ramp. See my yellow arrow.

#2905 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The one in your pic is hanging a little too low and needs to be bent up a bit.

Excellent. I missed the switch in the picture.

#2923 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

This whole AP team are taking this to the next level.

If you get the chance to see them at a show. Talk to them. They have some really great people working there. I was lucky enough to ride with 3 of them from TPF back to DFW, and spend time chatting and enjoying life.

#2929 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Sure wish I would have run into you at TPF - always wanted to say hello.

I'm sorry we didn't meet. I was right down the row from Houdini camped out at the remakes.

Good Lord willing and the creeks don't rise. CGC will send me again next year.

#2959 5 years ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

What do you say!!!!!!1

If you mean me ? I believe American Pinball already has Josh and Jeff, both are active here.

#2960 5 years ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

What do you say!!!!!!1

My gosh. You bought a Houdini.

Don't worry, I'll help if I can.

#2978 5 years ago

Are the audio settings available in the game settings?

Check page 3-13 in the preliminary manual. There are some settings. No idea if they are what you are looking for.

#3078 5 years ago

I definitely need some of those Houdini posters for my game room!

Keep an eye on Ebay for Circus Posters. Not originals.

#3080 5 years ago
Quoted from pinden007:

There were a lot of times tonight where the ball bumps into the bumper put no action.

When you adjust a leaf blade switch for the pop bumper. Power off. Look at it below the playfield. A plastic rod sticks down from the pop bumper skirt and pushes a plastic spoon fixed to a lead blade. Be sure the rod is centered on the spoon. ( on an older game be sure the rod isn't worn or spoon is dirty where the rod rides ) Then the spoon blade should just be resting on the rod, not pushing it. The shorter bottom one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't.

A little tweaking and you'll have it working great.

#3095 5 years ago

It sounds like is going in the right direction.

It sure is. I think it's going to be one of the great games for collectors and players on location. Never get tired of it. And occasionally kick you in the nuts like TZ can.

#3107 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Has anyone ever got the ball stuck at the entrance to the game?

That's weird. I don't have a game to check. But it looks like the ball is sitting at the gate that would prevent it from going back to the shooter lane. When I enlarge the picture.

I'm sure they'll have an answer for you.

#3109 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I probably need to bend the wire but don’t want to make any physical changes on a day old machine.

I'd wait until rosh posts. He'll know what's best.

#3128 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

So it is probably just a fluke.

Most definitely. Crap happens.

When you get the new gate. I'd put a tiny bit of oil on both sides where it goes through the hole in the metal. It will live a lot longer during it's normal life.

#3178 5 years ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

Where did you score that topper?!?!?

On the Dialed In ? Looks like the CE topper.

#3183 5 years ago

Lloyd, did you mean MB?...is that a hint?

Quoted from Yelobird:

Yeah, tell us this is the Houdini thread and we wouldn't tell Anyone!

You know the routine. I get an AC/DC Luci Vault Edition and you get info.

#3184 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

No that cool Houdini topper that Join_The_Cirqus posted in his pics. It looks freaking fantastic. I'm curious as well.

Sorry, no idea on that one.

I did find this one ( Pinball Pro has them on back order ) https://www.greatamericanpinball.com/product-page/houdini-custom-pinball-topper-laseriffic

#3216 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

went into switch test, it shows the scoop as being closed but I don't see a 2nd scoop opto listed

I don't have one to check. But can you look in there and see a second switch ( opto ) ? Or go into switch test and toss in a ball and watch screen then toss in a second and see if anything triggers ?

The screen has switch names, check the list for one too.

#3239 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

How should the USB stick be formatted, Fat32

Fat 32

Instructions in the manual page 6-1, you can download the latest version here : https://www.american-pinball.com/support/

#3281 5 years ago

Day one, unboxing several pinheads from my area were over for the big day. Service rails came right up on topic in first 15 min game was plugged in while we were under hood checking things out. Why would they do this (AP)? Immediately an operator here in so cal for many, many years commented how smart that was...SAFETY YELLOW. Now he commentented how many times he's bumped his head on these rails for years.
Never had a second thought about them and think it was a smart thing to do.
They were powder coated for safety. Durability I don't think is an issue, there service rails, i actually think they are pretty durable and I have no flaking paint or scratches on mine.

First thing I thought of. For safety. In home or on location.

#3370 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

and you get to tell the story of what the monkey has to do with Houdini when someone asks you!

Nothing like a monkey gland replacement to brighten your day.

Disclaimer : That just sold out the remaining stock of monkey shirts.

#3373 5 years ago
Quoted from jesselee72:

I'm sure it's something simple but does anybody have some simple things to check first?

Plug something into the service out light ( a light or something ) see if you have power that far. If not unplug the game, then check if the outlet is good, power cord into the game is in tight, open up metal box over on/off switch area see if any connectors came off.

If you have power at the service outlet. Then follow along the bottom of the cabinet to the boards and look for any connector off, loose, or wire in a connector loose.

I don't know if Rosh or Barry will see this tonight, if you haven't please open a ticket on the support desk :

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/

Disclaimer : Beautiful game. They'll get you going so you can enjoy it.

#3387 5 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

When hooking up a sub do I use the two bottom black terminals? That looks like L and R negative, is that correct?

Tom's Hardware has a picture that is wrong.

#3461 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

We just got this 'cliffy' for the Seance Scoop to test out,

I like how it is one piece.

#3469 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

What are those brackets on top of the scoop?

To hold the shape so balls don't bend the curved part back. The way it is balls coming out shoot across the playfield rather than up in the air.

#3513 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Some new code is now available to enhance your weekend.

Great news. A friend is driving back from Allentown with his new Houdini pin right now. They'll be setting it up tonight. I sent him a copy of your post to make his weekend even better.

#3569 5 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Just going off the the amount of Houndinis available for sale, it seems like people are dumping them. It’s seems too hard for the noobs on location and not magical enough for those that ordered it for their house.

7 on Pinside ? And at least one from a guy who says every game is the greatest ever and dumps it in two weeks.

That doesn't seem excessive when you consider over 100 Houdini's shipped and all the choices in the market right now of new and coming titles.

I've played it and it reminds me of TZ when it came out. Was a commercial flop for many. Not all. And mine has always done good. And like TZ, I think Houdini is going to go on and be one of the great games for home.

The tight shots make you a better player. And you won't kill the game and tire of it in a few plays.

And the humor will keep you going as you get better at it. The magician doing the wrong game out of the hat really makes the game.

#3622 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

This is the fix.

With a flat head screwdriver and a small rubber mallet.

Hit the flat rail right above the closest screw at the top.

I'd lay something across the playfield, pad, newspaper, etc. So you don't accidentally slip and damage the playfield while doing this.

#3661 5 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Any way to buy a large Houdini pin poster? Would love one next to the pin when I get one.

If not available. Ebay has lots of Houdini banners and posters.

#3738 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

For those who don't follow Nitro on Facebook, you need to check this out. This is a guy who knows how to make his Houdini Pinball machine feel at home.

https://www.facebook.com/NITROPINBALL/videos/1142690015867915/

That is an amazing display !

#3758 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

Few Pics from My Allentown Booth & Tournament Diamond Sponsor

I will have games available in the next few weeks!!!

Pincades
Jesse T.

Nice display. Doing a show is hard work. And your extra effort to make a cool looking display is great !

#3795 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I guess pinball manufactors don't give a shit how there product is presented!

Have you reached out to them ? Part of tech support is making the customer happy. Sometimes just talking to a live body that cares can really go a long way to ending your frustration.

And the way any game gets bounced about in shipping. You only have two problems. While neither are shipper related. Maybe AP can help you. They are there. Let them make your new game experience better.

I know it's frustrating for you. And I'm sorry for that. But give them a chance to make you happy so you can enjoy your game. It sure is pretty. Plays great. And will give you years of enjoyment after a couple tweaks.

#3932 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Who would think hammering next to the playfield would be an issue!?

You should have put that pad down first.

#3959 5 years ago
Quoted from Malibu-SS:

Having a problem with the ball trough.Takes multiple trys to get the ball out....have tried many different coil strengths.no difference.Looked at the assembly and everything looks good and nothing is loose,any ideas?

Same trough used by many manufacturers. If coil settings don't help. Watch the ball coming up. If it hits the flap that should divert it to the shooter lane and go back down. This WOZ fix will help. You need to bend the flap out a tiny bit.

http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

#4069 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Apparently,nobody gives a F..k that this freight is just sitting there

I am sorry you are going through this. I will hope it gets resolved soon so you get your game and can enjoy it.

#4085 5 years ago
Quoted from ElectricLou:

Since then the game is shooting balls in through as soon as I push start.

If you don't have too many balls in the game. I'd get ahold of rosh or Barry here or American Pinball tech support, to be sure you got the wires back in the right spots. And other possibilities.

1 week later
#4162 5 years ago
Quoted from flipnout1:

Anyone interested in a Houdini? Come play it at Southern Fried Gaming Expo and take it home with you.

Outstanding poster !

#4164 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I guess it shows sometimes when you tweet what you want for your birthday your wishes comes true.

He sure is going to have an amazing Birthday !

#4176 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

After a bit of investigating, it appears that the flipper had too much up and down motion and was causing the plunger in the coil to bind a bit and the spring became over-stressed.

Shouldn't have mattered. If it broke on the end loop, these pictures will help you get going. You can get new springs if you don't have any as spares.

Here is a video using a flipper spacer gauge if you want to set how high or low the flipper bat rides. Not on a Houdini, but same principle :

If you don't have the official flipper spacer gauge, a business card works too, cut a notch in it.

broke (resized).JPGbroke (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPG
#4183 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

My led strip died, started to flicker with flippers and then stopped. checked obvious connections but not sure where it terminates. All the other lighting appears ok

#4194 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

So just to confirm, this BA will be plug and play basically with Houdini?

The cartridge the bills goes into looks too big, 500 capacity ? Pins usually need a 200 or 300 capacity bill holder.

#4196 5 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

Is Houdini 115 or 12v?

#4198 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Only JJP has moved to 12v.

PPS/CGC remakes are 12v. They were the first to do so.

#4201 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Make sure the bill cartridge isn't a 500

If you look that one up on Google, that is a 500 capacity cartridge.

#4207 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Already tried to follow the harness and haven't found the end.

Understood. Hope someone with a game can assist you.

#4223 5 years ago

http://www.passionforpinball.com/

If not on the website, email Cliffy.

#4238 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Easy fix, just pound it back in, but I was just surprised at the lack of a cross-pin to secure it.

Easy to drill a hole through and install a small pin. Or place a small piece of tape across the hole and bang that sucker in. Never coming out.

#4279 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Few tidbits from Joe Balcer's talk, on the stream:

Great tidbits !

#4282 5 years ago

Any chance the plumb bob or ring need a good cleaning ?

#4290 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I finally have my pop bumpers as sensitive as I want them. I had adjusted the switches multiple times but the right one would still not activate unless it was really hit hard. I tested the switch with a meter and saw that even when the contacts were obviously touching it still didn't close the circuit unless you really pushed them together.

Always clean the contacts before you adjust them. Only takes a second.

#4353 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Game 2 will be "Kick Ass"! You can quote me on that.

Well that answers that.

#4370 5 years ago

The real question is "Why Not"?

Is that required tech support gear ?

Disclaimer : I wonder if they have that available in fat ?

#4377 5 years ago
Quoted from angus:

Found these in my coinbox. Any idea where they go? Looks busted.

In the coin box is odd. When flipper buttons break, they are usually on the outside of the game somewhere.

#4398 5 years ago

I didnt get a set of buttons in my coin box.

Broken ones. See picture.

PM me your name and mailing address and the next time I have any broken ones I'll send them to you.

#4411 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

When pushed down,it flips ,then goes back up!

Then it's getting power from something. I'd start at the flipper button switches. To see if something there needs adjusting to work right.

#4416 5 years ago

Cut off a couple loops on the spring and bend a new hook to match it with the other one.

broke (resized).JPGbroke (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGfix (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPGgoodasnew (resized).JPG
#4434 5 years ago
Quoted from JIM_Z:

Just had a flipper spring in the left also break.

Easy fix. See post 4415 and 4416.

The holes will smooth over and likely not break again.

#4452 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Just spamming an interview we did with Josh rosh

Great interview. You know he has a lot of work in it, and there is still excitement in his voice. Makes for a great game !

Disclaimer : I have to get one of the stuffed monkeys.

#4454 5 years ago

You mean a neutered monkey.

I most humbly apologize. It's early and my faux pas slip is quite shameful.

Disclaimer : I have to get one of the stuffed monkeys so I can neuter the little bastard myself. Band aids be damned. Full speed ahead.

#4480 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

explain what "caught up in a coil" means?

Any yellow 12 volt wires near any coils. Possibly by coil lugs, or moving parts. And worn through the wire and shorting to anything.

Only a few minutes under the hood to give everything a quick look see. See if any wires are close to things they shouldn't be close to.

#4496 5 years ago
Quoted from Josho:

is it something that I can do easily from the top (with just the glass removed),

Turn game off. You might be able to bend/align it from on top. If not, lift playfield. Remove two screws and lower it. And straighten with a thin flat nosed pliers or something.

#4502 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I just can’t get the tilt working in gameplay

I don't have a game to check. In the software, is there an adjustment in there for tilt settings. 1 warning to tilt, 2 warnings to tilt, no tilt ?

#4509 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Didn't Josh say the tilt not working right was being fixed in the next update? I seem to remember a post about that...

I went back 5 pages and also did a search and didn't see anything. Could be before that.

I'm sure Josh will chime in.

#4554 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Anyone have suggestions on how to get the pop bumpers more responsive?

Leaf blade switches under them ?

Then this - When you adjust a leaf blade switch for the pop bumper. Power off. Look at it below the playfield. A plastic rod sticks down from the pop bumper skirt and pushes a plastic spoon fixed to a lead blade. Be sure the rod is centered on the spoon. ( on an older game be sure the rod isn't worn or spoon is dirty where the rod rides ) Then the spoon blade should just be resting on the rod, not pushing it. The shorter bottom one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, but vibration doesn't.

#4556 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Curious LTG, do they make a lighter internal rebound spring for pops? Never looked but it does seem like the ones on API are firm and require more bump to activate.

I don't know of any different internal springs. If they come from various sources, it is possible a manufacturing difference in material used. Same with the leaf blade switch with the spoon, I don't know of any firmer or softer blades.

I don't have a game to check. Maybe rosh can chime in and see if a different spring is in there or if Houdini has it's pop bumper leaf blade switches set less sensitive for a reason ?

#4565 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Look at how many inspections this got through, scary

They likely buy the flipper mechs preassembled. And it easily passed testing. Then got bounced around enough in shipping to pop up. Crap happens.

Quoted from bobukcat:

I had adjusted the switches many, many times but the actual fix was "cleaning" the switches.

Before adjusting any leaf blade switch. Best clean them first, and be sure the screws or rivets holding the switch stack to bracket, are tight.

#4575 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

LETS PUT SOME BOOM MAGICAL BOOM INTO THE HOLIDAY
Independence day special!!! Pincades is covering delivery to your driveway within the Chicago land area, on a NIB Houdini.
(Some restrictions apply, we do offer white glove set up as well for a fee.)

Pincades

Bump for a great deal from Jesse !

1 week later
#4720 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Visited the AP factory

That would be fun to do. The new factory too, once it's rolling.

#4722 5 years ago

Wonder if New building will be ready by Expo?
On bucket list!

I would think a little later than Expo. I hope the new building and move there goes good for them.

#4743 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

I would love to but there is not one in my area.

Any chance you can hit a show and play all three and decide which one you like ?

#4747 5 years ago
Quoted from Bartzenegger:

Not really Brother.

Maybe start a new thread. Which of the three you should get. And the responses, see how their collections compare to yours, maybe see if you have similar tastes in games to help you judge their opinion.

#4762 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

All the way in should be 6 or 6.5 degrees

Providing their floor is flat and level.

#4794 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Quoted from Nirm:

That awkward moment when you realize you got pranked by rosh

I love the fun these guys are having, still, after all the work. And putting into the game.

#4796 5 years ago

This thread keeps getting better and better.

Thank you American Pinball !

#4799 5 years ago
Quoted from CUJO:

I'd like to learn more about this hardware platform.

Here is some good reading.

http://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php/P-ROC_Main_Page

#4813 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Wish I could be a tester.

Me too.

#4815 5 years ago

I concede and now am pulling for you Lloyd.

I'm pulling for you. I hope Josh mails you a game over night so you can beta test for him.

Disclaimer : Bump for the beta testers.

#4818 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

If only there was a system where you contacted the manufacturer and they emailed you back.........

Try again - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ American Pinball is usually good with response. Crap does happen. Emails do get lost.

#4842 5 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Hope you can help me to fix the issue....

Contact them. Barry posted this a few posts up.

If you are having trouble and or need parts fill out a ticket

I am here to help, email me at [email protected]

#4891 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

"MODest Monkey" Mod

That's great !

1 week later
#5036 5 years ago

What about adding a tiny drop of sewing machine oil like on spinners?

Do you mean where the metal axle goes into a hole in a piece of metal holding it ? I would. The spinners last years longer before they break.

#5039 5 years ago

Just clean it out when necessary with naphtha or alcohol?

A tiny drop of oil or light grease. I'd leave it alone until when you do a thorough shop job. Then clean and when done put a drop of oil on it. Clean it with what ever is handy. Fantastic, 409, Windex, etc.

#5042 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Will spit work? I'm out of 409!

Yours will. That sh*t removes paint.

#5068 5 years ago

I can only see incredible things for Houdini down the road.

Absolutely.

#5102 5 years ago
Quoted from Jamaster10:

I week away
At least 3 maybe more on free play and nib games. All will have art blades. I will bring Magic Glass and shakers if someone would like to purchase them to add to a Open box or nib game. I may be bringing some other pins as well.
Show game pricing as well
See ya soon
Pincades
Jese T

Jese is great to deal with. Check him out at the show.

#5113 5 years ago

Impressive update !

#5186 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Sometimes when you run out of budget, you get in your car, drive to a recording studio, yelling all the way to get a raspy voice . . .

In the movie Little Big Man, Dustin Hoffman spent hours screaming to get the raspy voice he used when playing the older version of himself.

#5248 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just drop the wall voltage below 115 and the games will only take 2 minutes.

You are ready for tech support. American Pinball should hire you.

#5254 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

(plus your on call 24/7 which is just crazy lol)

Too funny. It's usually noon to midnight CST. But like today I was already going at 10am, and last night was still doing techy stuff at 1am. If someone has a problem, I like to keep on top of it.

Not much going on right now. Not like the early days with WOZ. So I get bored and find other ways to help.

Just trying to make my little corner of pinball a little bit better.

#5291 5 years ago

Anybody know of a good pyprocgameHD/Skeletongame? I know Houdini fits the bill,

American Pinball's next game.

#5319 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Is there supposed to be a fuse in here?

From BarryJ post 3310 :

Everyone else's second fuse holder empty? Yes the board is designed for 2 different voltages. The only voltage being used right now is 12V for the LED on the start button and shaker motor if installed. the other empty fuse might be used for the 48V to run the knocker coil...but we are also testing a 12V knocker.. We have options!

#5323 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

I'm having a problem with my Houdini and can't figure it out. Turns on and the lights come on but both screens are blue. Tried reinstalling code and it does nothing but pull logs. Any suggestions?

Did you check vireland's post 5313 - Sounds like loose connection to the computer box in the head. Power to monitors, but no power to the computer. Check connections.

?

#5325 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Checked connections in head and all seem to be good

While waiting on American Pinball. May as well reseat those connectors and push in tight.

#5334 5 years ago
Quoted from jrio101:

Tried a new USB stick and followed all Barry's instructions and still the game doesn't work. It says game code updated and when I power cycle the screen is still blue.

Did you try a fresh download of the software ? New USB stick, but did you try a different brand ?

#5350 5 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Hope it's not a bad story.

If it was, you think it would just be removed.

#5354 5 years ago

He's lucky. The Chicago way is worse.

#5378 5 years ago

Remember the monkey ? Those.

#5406 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Mine has 18-5-4,Thanks!!!

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/updates/

Looks like a newer one is on their site. 18-8-5

#5462 5 years ago

Lubed the shooter rod with a little lock ease graphite spray it was getting rough and hard to control.

I wouldn't use any product with graphite in it, in a pinball machine.

It conducts electricity. And if it works it's way into anything else, you could have problems.

Disclaimer : Learned that at my Father's arcade. Graphite bullets in the shooting range sent dust over the entire arcade. Did a good job of shorting leaf blade switch stacks over time.

#5465 5 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

. Tilt not working,

See post 5111

Do you have the 18.8.1 update in your game ?

Otherwise check with American Pinball Support.

#5493 5 years ago

I haven't seen a flipper collapse or fail to hold on other games.

Can happen depending on system if flipper button leaf blade switches need cleaning or contact point at end of blade isn't making good electrical contact with blade, or if optos - could need cleaning.

Might be worth checking until AP posts.

1 week later
#5629 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Regardless if you use the protectors or not, before you lift the playfield visually inspect both playfield edges for any toys or ramps that might have moved and might be able to scratch the Interior Art

If I might add, lift the playfield straight up. On any game it's easy to twist or not get straight and scrape one side going up.

#5644 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Broke my right flipper spring after 2 months of home use. No spares lying around either.

Bend the last loop over and hook it back up.

#5680 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Mr Kugler seems absent, maybe on holiday learning German traditions

Too early for Octoberfest. This year it's September 22nd to October 7th.

#5682 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Are we getting manuals sometime?

Manual on line, I didn't see a fuse list in it. And Barry and Josh may not pop up here or at tech support until Tuesday.

Sorry.

#5683 5 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Are we getting manuals sometime?

American-pinball.com has this :

What is the fuse rating for the fuses on the coil driver boards?

There are 4 fuses, the fuses for the Brown, Red and Blue lines are 6.3 ASB. The fuse for the Black line is 4 ASB.

#5770 5 years ago

Its ok for Rosh and Barry take weekends off.

Tech support never sleeps.

#5776 5 years ago

Drum roll.....Oktoberfest..!
Im a little speechless on this one.

Have faith.

They took an escape artist who died 96 years ago and made a great pin.

Octoberfest is a weeks long carnival/party/celebration. They have a lot to work with beyond German maidens clutching 6 beer steins in each hand.

#5778 5 years ago

But now that you mention it, a "Tapper" type video mode would be cool.

Easily done. And could be family mode on or off for home owners.

#5784 5 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Any word if they will end Houdini production when game #2 starts?

Ask them at Expo. Maybe they can build two different games at the same time. Especially when they move to the new building.

1 week later
#5907 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Flipper angles are factory, but not equal.

Flipper bat gauge is great.

Are they available ?

#5949 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Can someone please show or describe where to apply a mutimeter to test switching power output on the game?

It should be labeled. Stay away from the 110AC. Look for Ground, +5, +12, check ground to each + or - DC voltage.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5950 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Can someone please show or describe where to apply a mutimeter to test switching power output on the game?

#5956 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

What would be the normal output I should be expecting?

What is marked on the power supply.

#6052 5 years ago

Go to website and register game.
Then open ticket to Barry.

https://www.american-pinball.com/

1 week later
#6296 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I wonder what 11/16 signifies?

Designed by Josh and Joe for American Pinball Inc. in November 2016.

#6338 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Lloyd,

I've put one in my back pack for you, remind me at expo to give it to you.

rosh

Why thank you. Much appreciated !

Disclaimer : I'm looking forward to seeing my American Pinball friends !

1 week later
#6480 5 years ago
Quoted from Zaquar:

Ok - it’s not needed for shaker?

No.

#6492 5 years ago

I've done it in both positions.

TMI

1 week later
#6661 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

But we are ALL dedicated in what we do and always looking to improve and push the boundaries of pinball.

If you see them at a show. Definitely talk to them. They are a great team and enthusiastic about their work.

1 week later
#6766 5 years ago

Ill check the cab switch with a meter. maybe its just weak or dirty.

If you haven't thought of it, check it for ohms too. Point might not be making good contact with the long blade it's fastened to.

#6859 5 years ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Is this normal with Houdini?

Doesn't sound normal. I'd be sure your flippers have a tiny bit of up and down play ( not back and forth ) to be sure the pawl isn't binding on the nylon bushing below the playfield the flipper shaft rides in.

If that is good, then I'd remove the plunger assembly and be sure the plunger/plastic link/pawl moves freely.

#6937 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm always up for recommendations

If you don't know how to solder, Youtube is littered with short how to videos. Practice with some wire at a atable, and when you heat the joint and flow the solder, then move onto your game.

A few minutes practice and you'll do fine.

#6971 5 years ago

I think Houdini will follow this path as people get to know it better.

I've often compared it to TZ. It's going to be a great home game. A game that can really kick you and leave you wanting to play again. A game you won't tire of.

#6987 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

A bit more pressing, my flippers seem really lop sided. I can see the boring hole on the left, where it should rest, and that left flipper is way, way high.

Assuming the flipper spring isn't broken. Loosen pawl nut a tiny bit, move flipper where it should be. Tighten pawl nut a LOT.

#6990 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Weird. I took this two days ago when I unpacked it, before powering it on, and it's higher on the left as well, but not as high as it is currently.

Not weird. Could have been ever so slightly not wrenched down real tight and slipped in shipping.

#6992 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So I'm looking for something like this? What kind of tool do I use to loosen it?

Yes. I'd use a wrench. Just loosen a tiny bit so you can barely turn the flipper, get it in place, then retighten. If you loosen it up too much, then you have to allow for up and down play too.

#6993 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

What kind of tool do I use to loosen it?

Use a tool like this. Use the end marked 3/8

If you screw it up, this video may help :

DSC00680 (resized).JPGDSC00680 (resized).JPG
#6996 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm guessing popping up the playfield is the way to do this?

I'd go with that. Turn the game off first.

You'll never be able to do it through the coin door. If you try that, please shoot a video of it and post it.

#6997 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Here's the sad little ikea branded wrench I have.

Different tool, will work. And about the same size as mine. Picture makes it look bigger.

#6998 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I really admire people who can do this sans any nerves.

You blow enough sh*t up, you won't have any nerves to slow you down either. They burn out right after the first layer of skin.

#7001 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Did this jump off the rails?

Looks like. I don't think you should have pushed back. Just lift up a little, pull forward, and then lift up and lean back.

I would grab the playfield, lift up, and hopefully get it back on the rails along the inside of the cabinet.

#7003 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

It feels like it's locked in, won't budge much.

You might try and lean it back forward too.

#7004 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Does this shit happen ever?

Yes. You weren't the first, and won't be the last.

Quoted from wesman:

I didn't even push that hard.

No idea why you pushed ?

#7005 5 years ago

See the knob the red arrow is pointing to ? It should be resting or sliding along the bar below the green line.

c7145646398b732dfddaa36ecfea52964e3b2640 (resized).jpgc7145646398b732dfddaa36ecfea52964e3b2640 (resized).jpg
#7008 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Should I be careful powering it on?

I wouldn't worry. It bounced around in the back of a truck way worse than what ever you did.

You didn't fix the flipper. Had enough for today ? Or hoping some local collector will give you a little hands on help to get you started ?

#7009 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I mean pushing upward, to try and lock it in, then it came down hard.

Just guessing, but in your pushing upward you may have slid it back more.

To do this. I would grab the apron in the area the balls drain. Lift up a foot or so, pull forward and let the yellow rails rest on the front of the cabinet. Then lift up and lean back, so those pegs stay on the rail they slide on.

#7013 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

And even now as I tried to pull it all the way forward on the rails, and then when going upward, it seemed like when pushing back on the rails,

Grab onto those yellow rails hard and don't let it slide back. Go up, and lean on back box.

I'm thinking you are new to this. Please get a local pinhead to come over and assist you. A little hands on help can go a long way toards learning about your game and enjoying it more.

#7016 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

. And even now as I tried to pull it all the way forward on the rails,

When in position and the peg ( red arrow ) is sliding on the rail, it comes to a stop at the end where the rail hooks up ( yellow arrow )

When it stops there, then lift up and lean back.

I don't have a Houdini to check, but grab those yellow rails and hold tight. If the playfield is ass heavy, it may want to slide back. You are in charge. Don't let it.

c7145646398b732dfddaa36ecfea52964e3b2640 (resized).jpgc7145646398b732dfddaa36ecfea52964e3b2640 (resized).jpg
#7017 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, I think I'm done with this experiment.

It's okay. You live in an area with a lot of pinheads. Hopefully some will come forward and help you.

Please, someone help this nice man.

1 week later
#7150 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I'm definitely anxious regarding home ownership.

Understandable.

Maybe this video will help -

Different game, same principle.

Don't be afraid to crank on that nut with a wrench. In over 40 years I've only snapped one bolt. I've also only seen one pawl that was thick and couldn't be tightened. I doubt that is your issue.

#7154 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I just realized, is this you?

Yes, that is me.

Quoted from wesman:

I genuinely admire that ability.

You'll do fine. You'll learn as you go. And the day will come when you can help others. That really makes pinball great.

#7156 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Only fib he dropped was the never broke a bolt in 40 years.

Sorry. I should have specified flipper pawl bolt.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Hence the reason he is the support rep for JJP, CGC, and a few other wise companies that understand his incredible value.

I only do tech support for JJP and PPS/CGC. I try and help where I can elsewhere.

Quoted from Yelobird:

LTG is an Indispensable asset to pinball and an overall great person.

That's some funny crap. Thank you. Let us not forget Rob Burk says I'm warm and fuzzy.

Thank you for the day brightener !

Disclaimer : I have a great idea for next year's Expo mug.

#7195 5 years ago

How does this attach permanently?

Look it over. Glue, if you see holes - staples, or brads.

#7198 5 years ago

The lampshade doesn't have any glue or tape residue on it that I can see.

I don't have one to check. Sorry. Just going by what I see on other games.

#7272 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Should it be attached to the white power plug on the right in his/my photo?

No, that is for a bill validator.

#7274 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm....I should buy one of those, and start charging the dope that plays this thing so often, and make some quick cash!!!

Use as a bank. To save for repairs, parts, or your next American Pinball, Octoberfest !

Quoted from wesman:

Oops, wait....I think that dope would be me!

Not if you save enough for repairs, parts, and your new Octoberfest.

#7286 5 years ago
Quoted from kdecgp:

It's also kind of a hell of a 4 day weekend to be stuck with a broken machine when I wanted to play the hell out of it.

I am sorry about this. Crap happens. My saddest tech support calls are for those wanting to enjoy their game over a holiday and can't. It is rare. But does happen. No words I offer can make up for your let down.

Quoted from kdecgp:

Then I also have this thing in the back of my head that this problem will spread across the board.

Too soon for full blown panic.

Quoted from kdecgp:

There's also the prospect of phone calls and me possibly killing this gigantic seven thousand dollar toy trying to fix it myself.

Relax. I know this is a bad experience right now. Rest assured American Pinball will help you all they can so you are enjoying your game again as soon as possible.

Contact American Pinball, do as they say. And you and your game will be fine.

1 week later
#7412 5 years ago
Quoted from Rferullo:

Is houdini-gamecode_18.11.24T the most current version?

That is the latest one posted by Josh in post 7278.

1 week later
#7499 5 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

My purple flipper rubber rings are shot. Can you guys give me a recommendation for suitable replacements (same action as the originals)?

Are they using Titan silicone rings ?

https://www.titanpinball.com/

#7508 5 years ago
Quoted from Osro:

1/4" is too small, 5/16" is too big,

I'd try a 9/32nds nut driver.

#7514 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Would you need one of these for installing plastic protectors, I'm guessing?

I'm sorry, I don't have a game to check.

I suggested the 9/32nds nut driver because it is between a 1/4 that the poster said was too small and the 5/16ths that the poster said was too large.

Locknuts you usually run into are 5/16ths ( smaller ) or 11/32nds ( larger like on a lot of later Williams pins ).

I don't know if the poster is correct, if American Pinball used that size, or if an odd locknut got mixed into what American Pinball normally uses.

#7516 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

A sidebar question about the plastic:

I like them snug, not tight. Closer to loose.

#7537 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

What does FAT32 mean

On a PC if you format a memory USB stick, it usually formats it to a FAT32. Or you can choose that.

Quoted from Ockeyhead:

am I able to install successfully w/ a 16GB USB?

That should work. I wouldn't go crazy and get a larger capacity one.

#7538 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

What does FAT32 mean

FAT32 is one of the most compatible file systems for USB drives. When your USB drive is formatted with the FAT32 file system, you'll be able to read and write to the drive from virtually any computer or device that supports USB drives.

#7564 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Midnight madness and others. Any truth to this?

Some Williams DMD games have midnight madness. A simple search on Pinside will help you for which ones.

And you can set the clock earlier so you don't have to stay up to midnight for it.

#7570 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

was early in my collecting days, which was also back when I was annoyed with LTG.

Which is why I tried to warn Nirmal about touching your stuff.

#7627 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Couldn't find it on the API Store?

Maybe sold out again. Email them.

1 week later
#7685 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Forgive my ignorance....what is that and where can I vote?

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/twipy-2018-ballot/

Great site for weekly pinball news and updates.

1 week later
#7751 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Can somebody set me straight on how to bend those things so they won’t pop loose?

When you bend the loop over, have almost a full circle or more so it sticks through the hole a lot, even grab it with a small needle nose pliers and bend it over more once through the hole.

Then it can't pop out.

1 week later
#7808 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Sorry man, do you have any pics?

Do you see a vent hole on the back of your game ?

Try that. You might have to remove a screen or something. A hole is a hole. Picture may not help.

1 week later
#7859 5 years ago

but I have called JJP 50 times now and cant get someone on the line to order parts, nor do they respond to emails or phone messages.

I can help with the tech stuff. I can't send parts.

Please keep calling during their NJ business hours.

#7868 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Switches, including stage and scoop, seem fine.

Seem fine and work fine could be two different things.

Assuming these are micro mini switches ( I don't have a game to check ) i'd get my finger in there and trip them 6 times or so, to be sure inside the switch body isn't gummed up. And adjust if a ball isn't triggering it. If optos, I'd clean them. And follow wires and reseat any connectors along the way.

#7870 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I think I found the culprit...this sucker is suck in there and doesn't want to come out. Wonder if the servo is not working?

Sorry I can't be more help. Hopefully the AP guys see it and post.

https://www.american-pinball.com/ I'd ask for help on their website too.

#7879 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Maybe I just need to calibrate the stage.

Definitely start there.

#7888 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

No sense in tearing things apart until I get some feedback from AP.

They are tops in their field. They'll get you going.

#7965 5 years ago

I sent a contact request to 3do, lets see what they recommend

Please keep us posted. Especially a source.

#7967 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

but orange ? eek!

Black magic marker.

Orange be gone.

#7985 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

So it's more an overall cleaner/polish?

Wizards High Gloss Car Detailing, Surface Cleaner Spray, non static.

#7987 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yesssss! I picked that up yesterday via your link Lloyd! Do I need to clean existing wax off prior, or just use a microfiber and give everything a light wipe down?

I'd do this - just use a microfiber and give everything a light wipe down?

#8006 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Are any Houdiniphiles attending the Texas Pinball Festival next month?

I'm definitely an American Pinball fan.

Quoted from PhantomO:

I got tickets today. Never been...

Time of your life.

I'll be around the CGC games, Pin-Port booth, and JJP games.

#8073 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Does anyone have the topper from American Pinball directly if so I would love to see some additional pics.

Also can anyone share some good quality pics of of the mod couples water tank mod?

Not sure which topper you mean. I scrounged some pictures from Pinside.

332d2cb5c151b164aa467e016fceea0d0709690a (resized).jpg332d2cb5c151b164aa467e016fceea0d0709690a (resized).jpg3a2d11a1bb18ac4d6cfecd175ab99a7e9f15a9c3 (resized).jpg3a2d11a1bb18ac4d6cfecd175ab99a7e9f15a9c3 (resized).jpg3ced0c4206faf3dcf968e10365609e6f4682d18c (resized).jpg3ced0c4206faf3dcf968e10365609e6f4682d18c (resized).jpgd017b9d7995b17ab18fc90a0cb85683bab190dff (resized).jpgd017b9d7995b17ab18fc90a0cb85683bab190dff (resized).jpg
#8171 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Can someone tell me what this is please?

EOS switch kit

This kit enables you to add EOS ( end of stroke ) switch to Houdini's flippers. Houdini doesn't come with them. Many of the posts here say it helps the flippers perform better.

#8173 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Can someone tell me what this is please?

EOS switch kit

See picture. The leaf blade switch below the flipper return spring, that is your EOS.

DSC00732 (resized).JPGDSC00732 (resized).JPG
#8175 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is it the part with two screws on it, to the right?

Yes. Part circled in right.

bec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpgbec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpg
#8176 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is it the part with two screws on it, to the right?

That is a leaf blade switch. Not the kit might have more in it, like wires or connectors.

1 week later
#8248 5 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Outstanding service yet again from API and Barry!

Barry is a great guy. If you see him at a show, chat with him. You'll be glad you did. He's been in the industry for some time.

#8255 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Their enthusiasm has kept me engaged ..

The American Pinball people definitely love what they are doing. You see them at a show or at their company, they have a high level of love and excitement for their work.

I don't know if they give factory tours. When you see them at a show. Dhaval, Joe, Josh, Barry, Jim, Nirmal and his side kick, and maybe others I don't know. Talk to them and ask about their games.

You'll be glad you did.

#8259 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If its working fine would you buy the power supply add-on?

My own opinion. I would. Then never have to worry about it, just in case you wish you had.

#8274 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Does the price of the tour include 4 hours of playfield assembly work?

No. They want good help on their assembly line.

Disclaimer : I believe that is called "ZING"

#8308 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

So... unboxing a new game on a Friday night is a gamble because if you have problems you may not get any help from a company.

I'm always about. I wish I knew more about the game to help you.

Any help would be appreciated

On a regular PC, you hit the power button to turn the PC on. Games bypass this. As vireland just posted, it's likely a bios setting. No idea how you'd hook up a keyboard and access the bios settings.

Maybe email Gerry at Multimorphic for ideas ?

#8309 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like the PC just doesn't have auto-power-on set in the BIOS.

Google has lots of info to get into bios settings. Look for P-ROC like Gerry uses.

#8311 5 years ago

Any help would be appreciated

I PM'd you Gerry's email address to see if he can help.

#8340 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

I am just going to solder them together and shrink tube them together

Do what you think best. That is what I would do.

Quoted from GCS2000:

Man I give up with these things nothing I do works. They will not hold the wire in and if I try to twist all 3 together and insert its too large.

For what ever reason, if it don't work. Do what does work. It will be a better job.

#8357 5 years ago
Quoted from Hdmike444:

I have checked the switch and it works fine, it is stiffer then the other two and it holds the ball from advancing to the post
I’ve adjusted it literally about 20 times

I don't have a Houdini to check. If you have a micro mini switch in there, perhaps this will help when adjusting one.

See the attached picture. The Yellow Arrow is pointing to the green knob ( can be other colors ) that the switch arm pushes into the switch body to trigger it. The Red Line and Arrow show the point where any adjustments made should be made to the right of the Red Line so you don't effect the arm pushing the green knob into the switch body. The Black Arrows point to the area where I would bend the wireform of the switch arm and the White Arrow points to the right, the direction the wireform needs to be bent a little.

The part the ball rolls over, if you adjust it so it's forward and a little lower. It won't trap the ball, yet still trigger the switch. Which you can check with a ball in Tests - Switch Edge.

Adjusting a micro switch isn't enough. You need to think what you want it to do, or you'll be adjusting until the cows come home and go nuts trying.

switchadjust (resized).JPGswitchadjust (resized).JPG
#8371 5 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

Should have mentioned I did this, at first it said no HDMI cable connected, now just no signal

I would reset each end of the HDMI cable and be sure both ends are in tight.

#8373 5 years ago
Quoted from gentrsa:

I will play with it some more today if I get time

You might try a new cable too.

#8437 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Oktoberfest is definitely fun to play. I'll be at TPF, with Joe Balcer and Jim Thornton, but Barry will not be there. Be sure to attend our seminar, lots of good stuff there.

Always great to see Joe and Jim and Josh ! I am sad I'll miss Barry. He's a great tech to chat with.

#8439 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I'll be at TPF, with Joe Balcer and Jim Thornton

Do you know if Dhaval or Nirmal will be there ?

Thank you.

#8453 5 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

I have been taken out of retirement..

Sorry to hear.

Quoted from BarryJ:

Looks like Dhaval wants me to go to a couple of shows.

It is great to see you if you are at a show.

#8476 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Only marking on them are CT ROSH 13VAC

13 volts would fry #555 bulbs quick.

I suspect #906 or #912 bulbs.

#8492 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone know how to .....

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/ Scroll down for answers.

#8498 5 years ago

It sucks when they get stuck up in there and you can't get them out.

Have a machine screw the same thread size and screw it into the nut and extract it.

In case you have a spot you can't get your fingers into to unscrew it or grab it.

#8519 5 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I think the monkey has migrated to Octoberfest.

He's a ramblin travelin monkey.

1 week later
#8536 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I see a bunch of you are interested in beta testing.

Do we need to make a video again ?

#8538 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I see a bunch of you are interested in beta testing.

#8545 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Damn, now I just feel outright awkward for writing the exact same message earlier to Josh.

You have a Houdini. So hopefully Josh will let you Beta test it.

I don't have the game. Just the monkey.

#8610 4 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

I have the PDF. Video would be really helpful.

Video won't show any more. One brown/blue wire plugs into the 3rd spot on the connector. Black wire solders onto the black wires on the switch in the picture.

I don't have a game to show you. But it can't be much simpler than that. Only two wires to solder.

End of stroke leaf blade switch gets mounted like the attached picture. Easy to see which side of bracket it mounts on and where long blade is so pawl pushes it closed.

bec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpgbec75d06029c6b21c231a4adc61a5606985a93d1 (resized).jpg
#8614 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Is there something going on with the ground that requires specificity or is it just the reach of the supplied wires?

Nothing high tech here. Black wire ( ground ) to black wire ( ground ).

The wires reach to a spot American Pinball thought would be easiest for their customers.

#8615 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Do I need the EOS installed if mine does not have it? What does it help?

From rosh in an earlier post :

EOS only come into play on flipper knockdowns, where it will refire the 'main power' on the flipper to raise it back up. I do not have them installed on either my machine in the office or at home and have never had an issue, but some have. If you find it happens, then get the kit, easy to install. Those who think it makes the flippers snappier or other such things are suffering from a placebo effect. The kit has the switches with wires attached and the molex pin already on the wire that needs it. https://store.american-pinball.com/products/houdini-end-of-stroke-switch

#8623 4 years ago
Quoted from Videogod:

it's just that WHERE to solder the wires isn't crystal clear in the pictures.

Sorry I don't have a game to help you.

#8642 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkInc:

The new factory floor looks very clean and shiny.
Can't wait to see it messy with people, parts and pinball!

Not at American Pinball. Look at the current factory. Spotless.

#8648 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

He's decompressing after TPF.

Barry sadly wasn't there.

Maybe the industry show in Las Vegas ?

#8654 4 years ago

Still working on math riddle of 3/24 vs 4/6 1874.

Think of the man. The game.

It will come to you.

#8659 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Have been sick.. No need to worry... I am still alive.

Sure hope you are feeling better !

3 weeks later
#8936 4 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

For someone who’s never done it before, can anyone point me in the right way to tweak the sensitivity of the pop bumpers?

Switch Test - to check.

Check that the leaf blade switch is clean. A piece of paper between the blades, gently push blades together and pull paper out.

Check the plastic spoon the pop bumper skirt rod rests on - clean ? worn ? well centered ?

To adjust the leaf blade switch. The long top one with the plastic spoon should just be resting on, not pushing, the plastic rod coming down from the pop bumper skirt. The shorter lower one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't set it off.

A little tweaking and you'll be an expert at pop bumper leaf blade switch adjusting.

1 week later
#8953 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I've generally noticed during regular play that there are some pretty long lag times and it seems the game has lost track of the fact that a ball has drained or gone down the scoop, etc.

A couple thoughts, if it isn't software related. Balls magnetized ? new balls or use this - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-16809

And please check the plunger that kicks the ball up out of the ball trough to the shooter lane. If the plunger is a tiny bit too high, it can prevent balls from rolling into position right. The coil/plunger is fastened to a bracket. That bracket is held to the end of the ball trough by four screws, which you can loosen to raise or lower the coil/plunger. Not too high or too low.

#8955 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

If this demagnetizer will work in Houdini and LOTR,

Will work in Houdini, not LOTR.

#8962 4 years ago

My scoop switch has decided to become very finicky.

I'd try a new switch. You could have a flaky one.

2 weeks later
#8975 4 years ago

From Facebook. Your chance to be part of a team that loves what they are doing.

61572657_2559818780709618_3118279997882630144_n (resized).jpg61572657_2559818780709618_3118279997882630144_n (resized).jpg
#8989 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Half the fun of the job is laughing

Does the other half involve Nirmal ?

#8991 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

1. Flippers are weak.

Page 3-20 in the manual ( you can download it from american-pinball.com ) has coils you can adjust, have you made yours stronger ?

#8993 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

I Hope thus can bei with fixes with a tweaked Software Update

I'm not sure software is the issue. Please check connections involving them. Flipper coils to board. Power supply to board. Upgraded power supply to board. Could be a weak solder joint or connection.

Also the one that vibrates. I'd check the solder joints at the lugs, especially the thin wire going from the coil windings to the lugs. Easy to have a crack or break you can't see.

#8995 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

But how Ivan Check them?

Visually should be good enough. Tug on solder joints to see if they are loose. Reseat connectors, push together tight, and check for wires sticking up from the connector - not pushed the whole way in.

#8997 4 years ago

Do you have the upgraded power supply?

Yes, he mentioned it in his post. EOS switches too.

#9005 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

have a hands-on tutorial for soldering.

Youtube is littered with short how to videos. Practice at a table with scrap wire and solder. When you can flow a joint, move onto your machine.

Like this. Search Youtube for how to solder.

3 weeks later
#9140 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

was this like a shaker mod that was installed

Shaker motor. The game doesn't come with it, you can buy it from American Pinball and easy to install :

https://store.american-pinball.com/collections/frontpage/products/houdini-shaker-motor

#9142 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

could you basically get a shaker mod and install it on any pin?

Yes. But if game wasn't built for one, you'd need to figure a way to trigger it on and then off. Mod makers in the past have made kits that include a small board that runs it. You hook it to a target or something, and when the ball hits it, the shaker goes off for a few seconds.

Games built for it, have it programmed into the software when it goes off and stops.

2 weeks later
#9253 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

'dead', no power at all.

I'd start by plugging something into the service outlet. See if you have power that far. If not then check wall outlet, power cord into game, main fuse type stuff.

#9257 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

checked all of that straight away.

Power at the service outlet in the game if you plug something else into it ?

#9260 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballer3:

Service outlet ??? There isn't one.

Left out of export games ? AP games I recall at shows in the USA have one.

3 weeks later
#9390 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

but it also means those employees are giving everything they can to keep improving the products in the field, even if it means the work day extends past 8 hours. But sometimes it's nice to go home and have dinner with the family before starting the evening shift.

Not to mention what many programmers have happen to them. You are somewhere other than work. Home, vacation, wherever. An idea hits. You crank up the lap top and go to town. Hours later your idea is ready to test in a game.

Programming isn't a job. It's an adventure.

#9396 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The passion was infectious.

Their whole team is like that from the top down. Talk to them at a show and you'll see it.

2 months later
#9603 4 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

With the amazing help from Barry I got a fix for my Houdini.

Barry knows those pins inside and out. A great resource for help.

1 week later
#9641 4 years ago

Don't be afraid to dig in and learn.

Please don't be afraid to ask for help if you don't know something. People will help you.

You will learn. And eventually you can help others.

Help make pinball great.

#9649 4 years ago
Quoted from Blacksnow:

I apologize if this has been addressed already. I read through much of this post but have not found an exact match to my question.

No apology necessary. Please open a ticket - https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ American Pinball works hard to be sure you get the most out of your game.

#9662 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I named the coil as the culprit

See the thin wires from the coil winding to the lugs ? Dig around them. Most likely one is cracked or broken. Easy fix.

#9664 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Easy if I could solder worth a damn.

Youtube - how to solder - lots of short videos, how to heat joint and flow solder.

!0 minutes of practice and you'll be a pro.

#9671 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

Why do these all break at the same time?

Because they know you'll have to learn something to fix them good.

If it was an easy fix, they know not to break.

#9691 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

There is a little abrasion on one wire of the flipper coil. Not sure if that could cause multiflips on a held flip button.

Yes. You could separate the two wires and coat with something non conductive to shield them. Repair the top one if it's cracked through. Use the coil as a spare.

#9714 4 years ago

On the fence for stuff for your Houdini ?

AP (resized).jpgAP (resized).jpg
#9716 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

The discount is on parts and merch not the games, there is another promo for the games!

ap2 (resized).jpgap2 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9737 4 years ago
Quoted from callaway15:

what will an upgraded power supply do?

As I recall from the beginning. It provides a more balanced and consistent power to the game, most noticeably the flippers.

1 week later
#9780 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

I think I might know a guy...

What can I do to help ?

#9783 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

LTG, I thought you were the guy.

I don't think so.

I took a shot.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
377 posts in this topic match your search for posts by ltg. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ltg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/american-pinball-houdini-thread?tu=ltg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.