C7302EC0-E40C-4401-A735-26261435813E (resized).jpeg
38320F75-D438-4EC6-B8F0-EA529FC5A079 (resized).jpeg
51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 380 of 434.
#18951 2 years ago

The middle picture sure makes it look like it’s mushroomed and pulled the playfield down. It’s not easy at all to fix this if Locktite was used on the magnet core. If you can get the game for good price, go for it, but I’d recommend leaving it like it is. It’s super-easy to tear up the playfield by doing this repair.

#18952 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

Looking for some advice from you owners. I am looking at possibly making an offer on a Metallica, but.... one thing about it worries me.
If this is a common issue I apologize in advance, I dont much on the game. But.... the playfield has seemed to have sunken in around the sparky magnet. Is this common? Or is this something I should walk away from? I know about magnets mushrooming on other games, but have never seen it where it actually pulls the playfield surface down.
Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow that's new. And no to everybody saying a new magnet core and protector will fix that!

#18953 2 years ago

I think its abit of an optical illusion with the magnet too high and going to a point. If you could pull the magnet below the surface, you could then tell if the playfield is also sunk in.

#18954 2 years ago

The art curvature can make it look worse that it is. The magnet core is not hard to get out even with loctite. A little heat and it will break free. Cliffy/mylar and you are in business. Though if you are stressing this much over it then pass and wait for the next one. Stern made a bunch of Metallica machines.

#18955 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

The wood isn't being pulled down. The magnet was just installed a little too high and it mushroomed with all the airballs off of sparky. Get an extended plastic and a new magnet core.

I assure you…. The wood is def not flush with the rest of the playfield. The ball can sit in the lowered area around the magnet.

#18956 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

I assure you…. The wood is def not flush with the rest of the playfield. The ball can sit in the lowered area around the magnet.

I’d pass on that game, something isn’t right. It’s like the magnet was tightened and pulled the playfield in. Not sure how that game could be playable as There would be airballs into sparky.

#18957 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

That wood definitely looks pulled down to me. Like it mushroomed over and pushed it down. I had that happen on my Dirty Harry when I bought it. Was a super huge pain to fix.

Looks like it to me too, especially the second pic. Magnet cores need replaced for sure.

#18958 2 years ago

I'd pass on that game. I don't like the looks of the sunk in playfield around the magnet.

#18959 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

The magnet was just installed a little too high and

The magnet core and features like that such as the TAF bookcase are supposed to be installed a little above the level of the wood to protect the edge of the wood from wearing.

#18960 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:The magnet was just installed a little too high and

The magnet core and features like that such as the TAF bookcase are supposed to be installed a little above the level of the wood to protect the edge of the wood from chipping and wearing.

The magnet cores are a little tricky to get out and mushroomed cores want to spin, so there is a risk of damage. There must be a bunch of torque to deform the wood.

#18961 2 years ago

nm

#18962 2 years ago

I feel kind of lucky. When I got my game, my Graveyard magnet was so far below the playfield that the ball would just sit in the depression. So I took time to make sure both magnets were dead level with the playfield. Since then, no problems in 8 years.

#18963 2 years ago
Quoted from newpinbin:

That came out nice for a pro.

Quoted from Ceckitti:

Looking for some advice from you owners. I am looking at possibly making an offer on a Metallica, but.... one thing about it worries me.
If this is a common issue I apologize in advance, I dont much on the game. But.... the playfield has seemed to have sunken in around the sparky magnet. Is this common? Or is this something I should walk away from? I know about magnets mushrooming on other games, but have never seen it where it actually pulls the playfield surface down.
Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks pulled in. I think it was mushroomed and the guy tried to remove it but pulling it downwards. Why not remove it upwards out of the pf? But I think the pf is stuffed now in that area but may spring but, I don't know

#18964 2 years ago

I would stay clear off that MET. Game will never play right like that. It's a massive issue and not normal at all. No idea what would cause that. Maybe a core mushroomed bad and someone tried to remove it but accidentally tightened instead of loosened. Fix would have to be new pf.

#18965 2 years ago

I’m no expert by any means, but Just looked at my Metallica and mine looks flat and nothing like that. I also would stay away from that one.

#18966 2 years ago

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for all the input guys.

Worst case….I can tell the owner it’s f**ked and maybe get it for a SUPER steal lol

#18967 2 years ago
Quoted from Ceckitti:

I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for all the input guys.
Worst case….I can tell the owner it’s f**ked and maybe get it for a SUPER steal lol

What does he have it listed for now? Must have been routed.

#18968 2 years ago

Did the Sparky helmet mod today. Designed the helmet cap / adapter pretty quickly in Tinkercad and 3D printed it on my Prusa. Painted it with Testors and superglued to the helmet. Then I ordered next day EL wire and a USB adapter from amazon and added it.

The wire didn’t want to coil the way I wanted, but I wrapped it around a large Phillips head screwdriver shaft then heated it with a heat gun in the garage. Once it was soft and set i put the whole assembly in the fridge and cooled it down. That set the coil in the shape I wanted much better

Used a few acrylic paint pens from Michael’s to add a little bloodshot look to the eyes and some random cracks / marks on the helmet so it’s not so basic and I’m pretty happy with how it all came out

Was cheap and easy and a fun little hour-two project.

088203AB-362B-422B-A6B5-C33113EECFC7 (resized).jpeg088203AB-362B-422B-A6B5-C33113EECFC7 (resized).jpeg5AF2C544-7A7B-45BD-8E14-97EDBD2F62F8 (resized).jpeg5AF2C544-7A7B-45BD-8E14-97EDBD2F62F8 (resized).jpegA8DDB1B9-00DB-43D8-8FFD-7969607699F0 (resized).jpegA8DDB1B9-00DB-43D8-8FFD-7969607699F0 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#18969 2 years ago

The snake eject on my pro all of a sudden feels weak. Ball comes out but it’s much slower than it was. Bad coil or is there an adjustment I should look at ?

#18970 2 years ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

The snake eject on my pro all of a sudden feels weak. Ball comes out but it’s much slower than it was. Bad coil or is there an adjustment I should look at ?

I'd check under the playfield and make sure the mechanism hasn't come loose.

#18971 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'd check under the playfield and make sure the mechanism hasn't come loose.

Everything was nice and tight. Couldn’t see any visible wear and tear on the coil, sleeve, plunger, or spring. I just ordered a new coil, spring, sleeve, and plunger and I’m going to replace all of it at once and see what happens

#18972 2 years ago

I thought I had fixed it, but I'm still having issues with the coffin lock on my premium. It's not ALWAYS happening but it seems fairly common for balls to get stuck trying to eject from there during coffin MB. The plunger is smooth, I can't see any problem there. It seems more like the entire trough just doesn't sit at an aggressive enough angle to make the balls fall forward quickly enough when the coil activates. I'm thinking about trying some washers on the back side of it to see if that will help (I think that's possible? I'm not looking at it right this second). Bad idea? I took the whole thing apart and nothing looked obviously wrong. But the problem persists.

#18973 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

I thought I had fixed it, but I'm still having issues with the coffin lock on my premium. It's not ALWAYS happening but it seems fairly common for balls to get stuck trying to eject from there during coffin MB. The plunger is smooth, I can't see any problem there. It seems more like the entire trough just doesn't sit at an aggressive enough angle to make the balls fall forward quickly enough when the coil activates. I'm thinking about trying some washers on the back side of it to see if that will help. Bad idea? I took the whole thing apart and nothing looked obviously wrong. But the problem persists.

I have read several cases where the balls were magnetized, causing this issue.

#18974 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I have read several cases where the balls were magnetized, causing this issue.

Yeah, I thought that might be the case too but I swapped the balls out (multiple times) and the issue persists. I suppose it could be possible that the balls are IMMEDIATELY magnetizing and causing the problem, but the new balls seem better. Everything else seems fine on my game, it's just the continued coffin lock issue I'm having. I'm using pretty standard balls I bought from BC Precision on ebay (ebay.com link: itm). No idea how the overall quality of those is--as far as magnetization goes--to be honest. I use them in all my other games without issue, but only Metallica (I think) in my collection has such strong magnet usage.

#18975 2 years ago

Yeah, I thought that might be the case too but I swapped the balls out (multiple times) and the issue persists. I suppose it could be possible that the balls are IMMEDIATELY magnetizing and causing the problem, but the new balls seem better. Everything else seems fine on my game, it's just the continued coffin lock issue I'm having. I'm using pretty standard balls I bought from BC Precision on ebay (ebay.com link: itm). No idea how the overall quality of those is--as far as magnetization goes--to be honest. I use them in all my other games without issue, but only Metallica (I think) in my collection has such strong magnet usage.

Yeah, I doubt they could get magnetized that quickly... I've had my Met for about 5 years and never had an issue with the balls getting magnetized. I'm guessing you tried changing the pitch of the game?

#18976 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Yeah, I doubt they could get magnetized that quickly... I've had my Met for about 5 years and never had an issue with the balls getting magnetized. I'm guessing you tried changing the pitch of the game?

I've not, but I jacked all the way up in the back and slammed all the way down in the front on initial setup. Looks like I have somewhat shorter levelers than the 3" ones I have on some of my games, but nevertheless...slope should be relatively aggressive. The bubble is off-center, touching the 'upper' line.

I did read some posts saying these BC Precision balls can be known for magnetization (even referencing Metallica as the game with issues..and specifically the coffin lock..) so I guess maybe I should do my due diligence and try some other ones to see if that fixes it, before I start making any physical modifications. If it's as simple as just using a certain ball for this one game...I'm not against doing that.

#18977 2 years ago

I've not, but I jacked all the way up in the back and slammed all the way down in the front on initial setup. Looks like I have somewhat shorter levelers than the 3" ones I have on some of my games, but nevertheless...slope should be relatively aggressive. The bubble is off-center, touching the 'upper' line.
I did read some posts saying these BC Precision balls can be known for magnetization (even referencing Metallica as the game with issues..and specifically the coffin lock..) so I guess maybe I should do my due diligence and try some other ones to see if that fixes it, before I start making any physical modifications. If it's as simple as just using a certain ball for this one game...I'm not against doing that.

You can quickly and easily check if the balls are magnetized. Put them on a flat surface, touch one against another, and then gently pull away. Do that with each of them.

#18978 2 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

You can quickly and easily check if the balls are magnetized. Put them on a flat surface, touch one against another, and then gently pull away. Do that with each of them.

Sure enough, there's definitely at least a LITTLE bit of magnetization to them. Ugh.

#18979 2 years ago

Sure enough, there's definitely at least a LITTLE bit of magnetization to them. Ugh.

I think I'd be happy about that at least the game isn't fubar.

#18980 2 years ago

The polaris pinballs from Ball Baron are the ones recommended and marketed for games with magnets.

https://mezelmods.com/products/carbon-steel-pinball?_pos=1&_sid=633eff6a7&_ss=r

#18981 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I think I'd be happy about that at least the game isn't fubar.

Technically the game compensates, at least somewhat, in order to play some kind of coffin MB..but it's not 'right' and it definitely makes the game less fun when it happens. There still could be something else going on (who knows) but until I get some new balls installed I think I'll just leave it be.

Quoted from Sparky:

The polaris pinballs from Ball Baron are the ones recommended and marketed for games with magnets.
https://mezelmods.com/products/carbon-steel-pinball?_pos=1&_sid=633eff6a7&_ss=r

Thanks for the link -- I'll get some ordered and give them a try.

#18982 2 years ago

I did try four different balls I had tumbled prior, making sure they weren't magnetized before I started, and manually tested coffin MB (just hitting the captive ball over and over again until all three were locked) and the game ejected them perfectly. No idea if that will hold up long term (or if these balls will magnetize) but we'll see. At least it makes sense given the symptoms and it's something to try until the new balls arrive. Thanks again for the suggestion.

#18983 2 years ago

I did try four different balls I had tumbled prior, making sure they weren't magnetized before I started,

Just seen this from LTG about tumbling balls.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-jjp-they-do-not-stand-behind-their-products/page/16#post-6413859

#18984 2 years ago

Interesting. Guess I'll see what happens and if they magnetize, no worries. They're a short term fix anyway. I've never heard that but I have no reason to doubt its truthfulness!

#18985 2 years ago

Just got back from the Allentown show and upgraded from Pingraffix Pinblades to their Power blades. I was thinking that my hemi mod with the blacklight strips might not be as visible with these, but holy hell! They look fantastic. The blacklight effect pops even more, and the powerblade effect looks so good when the rest of the gi dims. Get you some powerblades I wish I could post a video here.

#18986 2 years ago

I'll be installing these from Pingraffix today on my Metallica

1627744747677150295565947219887 (resized).jpg1627744747677150295565947219887 (resized).jpg
#18987 2 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

I'll be installing these from Pingraffix today on my Metallica
[quoted image]

I've got those too. Looks amazing!!

#18988 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Just got back from the Allentown show and upgraded from Pingraffix Pinblades to their Power blades. I was thinking that my hemi mod with the blacklight strips might not be as visible with these, but holy hell! They look fantastic. The blacklight effect pops even more, and the powerblade effect looks so good when the rest of the gi dims. Get you some powerblades I wish I could post a video here.

You can . Put it on utube, then share it from there. Would love to see powerblades

#18989 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I hope the Powerbladez work alright for you . Mine as well as others have posted they interfere with the optos in front of Sparky.so they randomly set off Sparky and other lights during play. Could never figure out on how to fix the problem so abandoned the Powerbladez and got the Creeping Death Lightning Rails ,,, from Pinball Refinery they look amazing and pretty much the same effect as the Powerbladez

#18990 2 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

I hope the Powerbladez work alright for you . Mine as well as others have posted they interfere with the optos in front of Sparky.so they randomly set off Sparky and other lights during play. Could never figure out on how to fix the problem so abandoned the Powerbladez and got the Creeping Death Lightning Rails ,,, from Pinball Refinery they look amazing and pretty much the same effect as the Powerbladez

I have the lightning rails also, combined with powerblades, it looks sick. I just played a bunch of games, and everything works fine.
Thanks for the tip about YouTube, let's see if these post :

#18991 2 years ago

My bladez sometimes set off sparky too but I've got them set up now to where they don't. They're definitely a cool addition to the game.

#18992 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

photos ?

#18993 2 years ago

must have sent at the same time

#18994 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

must have sent at the same time

I posted two YouTube links above. Are they working?

#18995 2 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I posted two YouTube links above. Are they working?

yes very nice

#18996 2 years ago

Man those PowerBladez look kick ass! How are they wired into the game? I have a pro and don’t have any upgraded GI lighting, just stock LED’s, will I get the same effects?

#18997 2 years ago

Hey guys....new owner.... I have a later build premium model. Once in a while the hammer magnet isn't holding the ball long enough for the hammer to fall and lock it under the Playfield. It was just roll off. Any ideas?

#18998 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Man those PowerBladez look kick ass! How are they wired into the game? I have a pro and don’t have any upgraded GI lighting, just stock LED’s, will I get the same effects?

Simple to hook up inline atthe front of the cabinet. I believe they would look the same on a pro, but I do have the lightning strips hooked up too, so the brighter purple flashing is an effect caused by those strips causing the art on the blades to glow.

#18999 2 years ago

These look better than mine. Mine aren't nearly as bright it seems. They still look great, but... yeah.

#19000 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Hey guys....new owner.... I have a later build premium model. Once in a while the hammer magnet isn't holding the ball long enough for the hammer to fall and lock it under the Playfield. It was just roll off. Any ideas?

May seem like a silly question but has anything changed in the machine since the magnet issue like you've added a shaker motor etc. I had the same issue but only after installing a stern shaker. For some reason I had to go a rev b shaker pcb as the rev a just screwed up the lock mech

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 12.95
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.95
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

7,600 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 21,683 posts in this topic. You are on page 380 of 434.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/380?hl=adam12hicks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.