51CBA7A7-76AF-40F6-997E-2582DB57CB32 (resized).jpeg
2EB670D4-ACA6-43E3-B535-41603CD5B57C (resized).jpeg
IMG_6790 (resized).jpeg
met magnet update (resized).JPG
711e62c89062984f8180055465d890896b652bf8 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7243 Magnet removal Posted by xTheBlackKnightx (7 years ago)

Post #8935 Buzzing flippers fix Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #19696 Fixing random drop targets dropping Posted by swampfire (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphs007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

3 weeks later
#16588 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I wish there was a how to video of someone changing one of these out. Whats the best way to heat it up, a hair dryer or what?

I had to remove some small sex bolts, on my gun holster, that I used loctite on. I used a soldering iron to break the bond. I just held it on the sex bolts, for less than a minute and it broke the loctite bond.
Hopefully someone will chime in as to whether or not,this is a good idea to use on a pinball magnet.

#16593 4 years ago

I'm hoping to join the club sometime this year. But first I have to sell my house,and then find a new one to live in.
I'd like to pick up a Metallica Premium/LE Huo pin locally. I have a ton of questions,so I guess I should start at page one in this thread.
In the meantime, I'll be popping in and out with a couple of questions anyway
P.S
I wouldn't be against a NIB,but I have a feeling, they're tough to find now.

#16612 4 years ago

Anyone thinking of selling their Metallica Premium LE in the near future? I'm hoping to pick one up,once I sell my house. I'd like to pick it up, to avoid shipping. I'm hoping that I'll be ready to buy, by this coming fall.
I figured It's worth a shot to ask.

2 weeks later
#16645 4 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Just joined the club! Have a question, the t molding on the top was missing on mine (metal backbox). How was the molding attached up there? I see 2 holes, but not sure if they were used, or if the molding was just glued/tacked on. How should I replace? Thanks![quoted image][quoted image]

I'd like to join the club,but nobody within driving distance,wants to part with their HUO Metallica Premium LE.

#16679 4 years ago

Metallica vault question. If and when Stern comes out with a vault edition , would it be made in the Pro , Premium ,and LE models? And if so, would it still be made with the SAM system?
Also,is there any chance that a vault edition could be coming out in a year or two ?
Thanks in advance .
Ralph

#16682 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Not likely on a game with a 5+ yr run that just ended a few months back. You can still find new at some distributors.

Were any Premium LE' made in this last batch? I contacted a couple of distributors,but no one had any Premium LE in stock. If I can't find a HUO machine,I might consider a NIB. But Id rather pick up a HUO game that has most of the bugs fixed. Can you recommend a distribtor I could contact?
Thanks
Ralph

#16685 4 years ago
Quoted from Spelunk71:

I picked up a NIB Met Premium a couple of months ago from Trent at Tilt Amusements in Ohio. It may be a long shot, but you could check to see if he has another one.

Thanks

#16689 4 years ago

I'd like to pick up a Metallica Premium in the near future.
One big problem,I have"Ophidiophobia" fear of Snake's. Is there any mods where I can replace the snake,with a little puppy?

Thanks in advance

11 months later
#17716 3 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

my MET premium was my first NIB title and probably will never leave. a very well rounded title with dirty donny's great art package, john borg's smooth and flowing layout and a fantastic rule set thanks to lyman's dedication to continually updating the code.

How's the reliability of your Metallica premium, is there anything that needs constant attention?
Thanks in advance
Ralph

7 months later
#18413 3 years ago

I know it’s a long shot , but anyone with a Metallica Premium HUO, who’s leaving the club, pm me.
Thanks in advance
Ralph

1 week later
#18498 2 years ago

Just joined the club today. I picked up a low play HUO Met Roadcase. It looks like it just came out of the box! It came with the original and the Pro translite. I knew I was getting it Tuesday,but I didn't say anything,because I didn't want to jinx myself.
I also started reading from the very beginning of this thread. I mostly skip over the tips on how to score since the beginning post are seven years old,and are probably no longer relevant.

#18500 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:Sad to see it go but glad you were the one to purchase it Ralph!
You were so excited that you probably didn’t even notice me take these pics![quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks again,I've been excited all week,and it seemed like an eternity waiting for Saturday to come.
Thanks for all your help today !

#18533 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Where can I get a trans light to replace the old farts on a road case premium?
Master of P. /monsters or others?

I'm glad you replaced the translite

#18534 2 years ago
Quoted from gashog301:

free credit knocker..... I hate it

Is there a setting in the game to turn this off? I checked, but I could have missed it.

#18539 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Standard adj. #44. You can set it to normal, low, or off.

Thank you !

1 week later
#18599 2 years ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Is the ball trough kick up adjustable on Met Pro? Mine kicks pretty hard and shakes the playfield a little when the ball is loaded into the shooter lane

I read on Facebook today and someone else had that problem,unless it was your post I read?

#18651 2 years ago
Quoted from boogies:

WTB: Pinbits full protector set.
Anybody happen to have a spare?
Any links to an equivalent set?
I've heard Pinbits hasn't been shipping orders as of recent

They definitely aren't shipping orders,but have no problem with taking payments. I placed an order May 8th and the status report on their website is still listed as "Processing". They also ignored my emails asking when my order is going to ship.

#18659 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Ordered Tron EL wire in January and.. Nothing. Site's dead and I'm super annoyed it's still even taking orders. PayPal said I'd have my money back in June. What a ridiculous fiasco.

I'll give them one more week,and then I'm calling my credit card company.

#18661 2 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Don’t bother waiting , Pinbits is done , Nothing from them in over a year.

Thanks

#18690 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:You gotta get the power blades. They are incredible.

I like the power blades,but it looks like it'll be a tight fit on my game,and I'd be afraid of scratching them when I lift the playfield?

#18693 2 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Get the Game Blade Protectors from Pinball Life and you’ll be fine
[quoted image]

Thank you!

#18729 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Anyone know if pro playfields are available from Stern still? The big white lower inserts on mine have cracked between the inserts (Im guessing insert separated from the wood). It might be able to be touched up, but figure, if its not that much more to get a new one, might as well go that route (plus it was routed at some point without cliffys, so there is some wear on the kick out, though now covered by a cliffy). Anyone know what Stern charges for a playfield?

I saw a premium sell for a 1,000 not sure what a pro cost?

#18751 2 years ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

Yep... just installed mine as well, so your not the last one.... Its always a " should I or can I live without it " when it comes to mods for your game, but the color dmd is a complete must have. It brings out so much more to the game ! Good Move ! Enjoy

How good were the installation directions? I've been reading the Metallica thread from the very beginning,and somewhere I read that they were a bit lacking.
I'm on page 310 and I'm getting close to getting all caught up and I learned alot of helpful things in this thread! I wanted to thank a couple of posters at times,but some of the post were seven years old.

1 week later
#18788 2 years ago

Placed my order yesterday for my Color Dmd LCD. I'm putting the Power Blades on hold,since they could cause problems with my machine.

1 week later
#18836 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Crud, i have guests from out if town. Why would they use such a specialty fuse. Wish Radio shack was still around..

Is this the correct fuse? I ordered all of the fuses that Metallica uses,but it doesn't say 50 amp?

Screenshot_20210622-095331 (resized).pngScreenshot_20210622-095331 (resized).png
#18885 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

[quoted image]

What type of bulb is the green one behind the snake ? It lets you know when to shoot the snake. Not sure if mine is loose or burned out? It looks like a wedge type bulb, but I didn’t want to pull it out until I’m sure it is a wedge led.

#18889 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help! Hopefully I'll pick some up at Pinfest in Allentown.

#18890 2 years ago

I pulled the bulb out, and adjusted one of the wires because it was close to the edge and some of it wrapped around to the side of the socket. Pushed it back in,and now it works

2 weeks later
#18958 2 years ago

I'd pass on that game. I don't like the looks of the sunk in playfield around the magnet.

3 weeks later
#19081 2 years ago

Could someone tell me what the red light special in the outlanes awards you?
I see it a lot,but I never drained in the outlane that had the red light special lit.

#19083 2 years ago

Thank you

#19087 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Default setting is usually free game.

Thanks,I'm glad I didn't drain to find that out. The only thing I hate about Metallica is the noise the machine makes when you win a free game! It made me jump out of my skin when it want off. I disabled that the first week I had the game.

1 week later
#19123 2 years ago

Anyone ever bend the curved metal piece over the hole, in the mystery scoop,to help stop balls from bouncing out? I remember in the Dialed In club thread, people were bending theirs to lessen the bounce outs.

#19125 2 years ago

That's what's on mine,and a lot of shots bounce out on me? I might try to put a piece of foam on the front inside of the protector to deaden the blow. But I'm wondering if bending the metal like some dialed in owners did on their phone scoop would help?

#19127 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Interested in hearing if others hand better luck- like you, my scoop rejects a lot. Not sure what metal bending you're referring to though.

It’s the curved metal piece that acts as the backstop for the Mystery hole. I bent it down and forward a little bit tonight. I made a lot more mystery shots tonight . But that doesn’t mean anything,until I test it again tomorrow. It could be just a coincidence I made more tonight? The sane part of me wants to bent it a little at a time, and the impatient part of me wants to bend it a lot.
I’m guessing that changing the angle of the backstop/Power Scoop, will stop the ball from bouncing straight back at me ? It worked for the Phone Scoop in “ Dialed In” so I’m hoping it works for the mystery scoop too? I included a picture of the part.
If I were you ,I wouldn’t try this until I’m sure it works .

2C881306-0DDD-434D-AD04-A3B100ED6529 (resized).png2C881306-0DDD-434D-AD04-A3B100ED6529 (resized).png
1 week later
#19150 2 years ago
Quoted from DJY2J:

It's nuts. I have spoke with Stern. They advised me to unplug J10 from the IO board and see if F8 blows. If it does it needs board repair work if not its something else. Was hoping it would actually be board work just to end this whole circus of trying to figure out what it is. But alas, F8 doesn't blow when J10 is unplugged so the search continues.
I've traced the yellow wire with purple stripe (as advised by Stern) as best i can even cutting through zip ties to better access it fully. I cannot see any sort of impingement let alone a break.
At the advice of someone else I am going to unplug all coils and then plug them in one by one to see if I can identify the troubled coil. Problem is I've burnt through several 3A fuses and am now out so I have an order in to Marcos.
Maddening experience on this HUO low plays machine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/slow-blow-fuse-breaker-reference-mouser-links
Maybe pick up a circuit breaker since you have to place an online order anyway?

#19153 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Interested in hearing if others hand better luck- like you, my scoop rejects a lot. Not sure what metal bending you're referring to though.

My Metallica is much better now,and I also added 3m double sided foam tape to the face of the power scoop just for an experiment. It helps to soften the blow,and it makes the mystery scoop more receptive .
I Googled adding foam to the scoop of a pinball machine. That's when a whole thread of MMr owners came up. They were talking about bending the scoop like I did,and they also mentioned adding dead drop foam to the power scoop. I bought some on ebay, to replace the 3m foam I'm using.
Hth
Ralph

#19157 2 years ago
Quoted from PinFever:

must be talking Pro Snake mouth scoop. I have no issues ever on my Premium . I could never be content with a pro.
the Interactive skake Droptarget mouth is so fkin Cool

I have a premium also,I'm talking about the mystery scoop.

#19161 2 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

Do you have a link that you used? Would love to prevent the rejects that seem more frequent now. Where does the foam go and how did you bend it? Thanks!

You need something like this to put on the face of the metal scoop where the ball hits.
https://pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=131.
They no longer sell it,so you have to find something similar. That's why I used 3m double sided foam tape. I'm waiting on a product I bought on ebay to see if it's better than the 3m foam I'm using.

#19162 2 years ago

Could someone explain how I fixed my mystery scoop? Every once in awhile my mystery scoop wouldn't register a hit. I'd occasionally get robbed out of a free ball or the start of Crank it up,or the the shot to end CIU. It did kick the ball back into play at least. But it didn't give the reward?

So I adjusted the switch,and now the game would go into a ball search when I hit the scoop,so I bent the arm on the switch in the other direction. Now it registers the extra ball and all the other rewards I earned.,and then it kicks the ball back into play. So now it's working 100% for me.

Is there something like two detents on the micro switch,where one registers the reward,and the other kicks the ball back into play? How did I fix the scoop into recognizing the extraball and the other rewards?
Thanks in advance
Ralph

#19165 2 years ago

Thanks a lot to the both of you. Now I have a good chance of beating my high score, now that my machine isn't ripping me off anymore
One thing to be aware of,if anyone ever replaces this switch. I tried to adjust the actuator arm by moving the micro switch.It didn't move enough to make a difference, so I retightened it. Then I noticed the little green button on the micro switch was fully depressed and it wouldn't pop back up. I loosen the mounting screws and then the little green button popped back up and then it worked fine .Somehow the screws being too tight caused the button to stay depressed ?

#19174 2 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just in case you didn't know this, there is a known issue with the Sparky driver board. NEVER turn off your game with the coin door open! This can cause the Sparky solenoid to lock on the next time you power up the game. I'm not sure if the newer board took care of this issue or not. Safe to just assume the issue is still there and DO NOT turn the game off with the coin door open!

Do not turn the game off with the coin door open. I’d like to have a magnetic decal of this warning for my coin door ! I read about this before,but I don’t trust my memory .

2 weeks later
#19200 2 years ago

I like taking care of my game by keeping it clean and waxed ,plus I like how my game plays after a good cleaning and wax job.But I do miss making the Mystery scoop shot using a full plunge,on a freshly waxed playfield.
Does this happen to anyone else after waxing their playfield?
It usually takes three weeks of play before the full plunge to the mystery scoop works again. I hope this doesn't mean I should wax my playfield again

#19203 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Happens from time to time on mine. Usually when doing the full plunge to try and hit the mystery scoop I nudge the machine upwards when the ball hits the flipper. Great for starting Crank it Up!

I give it the same little nudge, a thing of beauty to watch. Lately I’ve been having a lot of success with using a micro flip on the right flipper to set up a backhand shot to the Mystery Scoop. It never gets old watching a backhand shot hit the mystery scoop.

#19231 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Only 400 plays, that's redonk..

Looks like he sold the right machine .

#19243 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Well if anyone else has METLE that wants to trade for a Godzilla LE I’ll give up my Godzilla.
I have a pro Refinary and it’s one of my favorite pins. I grew up with Metallica and still live the music.

Looking forward to playing Godzilla. I don't think I've ever seen a Godzilla movie,but the game looks like fun.

1 month later
#19385 2 years ago
Quoted from dgposter:

If anyone has the instructions for installing the Creeping Death Light Rail mod, I'd greatly appreciate if you would pm me a copy.
Thanks.

Check YouTube out,I'd bet there's someone installing that mod.

1 month later
#19442 2 years ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

any one have an extra sparky or recommendations on repairing a broken foot?
[quoted image]

Be nice if you could do something like this,using epoxy instead.

1 month later
#19681 2 years ago

This is a first for me,somehow a ball got into the lower cabinet? This use to happen to my Dialed In,but this is a first for my Metallica. I'm not sure how it happened, maybe a snake shot, coffin lock,or the mystery scoop ?

#19686 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Dialed in was usually from the trap door on the left side of the playfield. It could get to the point where a ball could fall through.
For MET though... Maybe a magnet issue with the hammer/coffin?

I noticed every once in awhile,I have a fathom hammer strike, and when this happens,the coffin magnet is below the playfield. And it's just a hole with no magnet below the hammer.
I've had a ball go in the hole , because the magnet wasn't there to capture the ball but it just falls into the coffin lock. That's probably what happened,but somehow it want into the cabinet instead of the coffin lock.
I think I read somewhere that this could be a magnet board issue?
When I got the game last May,it had less than 250 plays on it,and it still had the original code. So maybe the previous owner never replaced the magnet board,when other with this problem were getting a new magnet board from Stern.
It doesn't happen a lot,but maybe I should see if Stern thinks it's the magnet board?
Thanks everyone for your help.

#19688 2 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

That subway from the ball lock to eject is pretty stout and not really a place for the ball to fall out.
OP, are you sure that wasn't a ball that was just in the cab?

That subway from the ball lock to eject is pretty stout and not really a place for the ball to fall out.
OP, are you sure that wasn't a ball that was just in the cab?

Yes I'm sure because I noticed that I only had three balls in play during coffin multiball. I checked the ball trough,and sure enough there was only three balls there.
The game did a ball search several times,but for some reason it couldn't find it inside of the cabinet.
The game is playing great again, once I added the cabinet ball back.And like I said,I only get the phantom hammer strikes every once in awhile,and this is the first time thay I had an issue.
I'm still not 100 % sure that this is when the ball dropped into the cabinet?

2 months later
#19964 1 year ago
Quoted from PumpkinKing:

Yep just the fact that when the power to the pinblades is turned on the Opto switch is getting hit before any gameplay (no lightning flashes). It's not a matter of the opto switch catching interference so much as the powerblades pulling some power from the electric chair opto. That was why I was wondering if I plugged it into the correct receiver or anyone figured out a workaround. Checking with Joe at Pingraffix too

Did you ever get the power blades to work properly on your game ?

#19966 1 year ago
Quoted from Scott8806:

Mine only does it when the left side is hooked up ,right side is fine ,i even blocked the light coming from the blades didnt matter still set it off.

I asked an employee for Pingraffiix today at Pinfest in Allentown, if they ever figured out the problem with the powerblades.
He said he’s only ever heard of one person having issues with their powerblades ?

#19980 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Maybe that was me. I couldn't stop them from setting off Sparky on the left side. I have a late run game I heard they have problems with.

My game was made 2015,I wonder if they'd work on my game? I'd really hate to go through the install process,only to find out they won't work.
What would really be sweet,is power blades that matched the colors of the play field !

3 weeks later
#20024 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

Does anyone know where to get a sparky protector these days? Only place I seem to see one in stock is in the UK.

https://www.pinballlife.com/metallica-sparky-leg-protector-plastic.html

2 weeks later
#20094 1 year ago

While we're on this topic,what's a Metallica Roadcase going for ?

1 week later
#20113 1 year ago

That used to happen to me, and my game had the original rubbers on it. It hasn't happened since I changed out the rubbers to Titian rings.

1 week later
#20141 1 year ago

Last week my Metallica started acting up,and was strobing like crazy . I did what was recommended in some old post,and now she's back to normal. I want ahead and reconnected all of the possible connections that might be causing the problem. I did the ones under the play field,and also the ones in the backbox.
I have no idea which one was causing the problem ,but I'm glad that an easy fix worked out for me .

1 month later
#20263 1 year ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi Guys,
My Met has started behaving erratically; sending additional balls when it should not, killing flippers till the ball drains...
Through opto is registering fine and soldering has been reflown. I don't think the issue is there.
On my ST Pro I also had some weird opto issues which were solved by changing the MPU.
Could it also be the culprit here?

This exact same thing happened to me last year. It turns out one of the trough wires came undone. I soldered it back,and everything was back to normal.
I think there's four wires,and one of them came lose.

1 month later
#20379 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

They are just replacing the mushroomed core part, not the whole magnet:
https://www.pinballlife.com/magnet-core-plug.html
For tools you need a very large flat blade screwdriver and a pair of channel lock pliers.

Did the factory use any loctite on the threads ?

1 month later
#20448 1 year ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

I just noticed there are only four balls in Metallica. I found that pretty hard to believe! When you're playing a multiball it often feels like there are many more balls than that. Everything is exciting and flowing well, and now I can't imagine having more than four. And I LOVE multiballs. I think that's a testament to how good of a pin it is!

I agree,it does feel like there's more than four balls at times !

1 month later
#20549 1 year ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Longshot I’m sure, but if anyone in this group is considering parting with their game and is within 4 hrs or so of NJ please let me know[quoted image]

Pretty much how I found my Metallica. I placed a WTB add on Pinside,and someone 45 minutes away from me responded. Good luck !

3 months later
#20776 1 year ago
Quoted from Guitarpinman:

Hi all, after a bit of a break from owning a Metallica (pro) I'll soon have a Premium
In the U.K there's not really much choice with regards to mods and so will likely have to order from the U.S (although next month my wife and I will be in Canada (Toronto and Montreal) on holiday, so am considering ordering some things and having them sent to our hotel there to save on shipping cost etc)
One thing I've noticed however is that there's not just one site which has everting I'm looking for, so thought I'd ask for advice here in case I've missed some good mod websites, or to see if anyone has any of the following spare which they might want to sell?;
Snake teeth (the Prem. I'm getting doesn't have any snake teeth)
Right ramp snake decal/revised plastic above the snake
3D snake mod (I gather this was a limited run by a pinsider and so have missed out?
Coloured Gel inserts for FUEL gauge
Cap/Wires for Sparky (ideally ones which light up during sparky hits)
Speaker lighting kit (round speakers)
Grave marker/Cross under PF fittings for the Grave marker inserts (so that the light doesn't bleed outside of the cross shape)
I think that's it. I've already ordered a colour DMD (LCD one - will use the dots mode(s) to get as close as I can to an LED look), shaker and some plastic protectors etc.
I also have a couple of questions re; the Premium model, as have only played one (well, an LE) in tournament scenarios:
If you've Physically locked 2 balls in the Coffin and you start Sparky Multiball (which is a 3 ball MB IIRC), as there are only 4 balls installed in the machine (correct me if I'm wrong), or if it's a 2 ball MB and you add-a-ball - do the physically locked balls exit the scoop from the Grave? (if so, I take it lights are then used to represent the 2 balls which were previously physically locked, like aon a pro)
The PRO I used to own came with incandescent bulbs, but it was really easy to swap bulbs out to LEDS; is it just as easy on a Premium?; I wasn't sure if on a Premium the LEDs are circuit board mounted or something.
I used to like putting a different colours flasher beneath the Grave marker on my PRO, as wasn't a fan of the red flashing. My PRO also came with pink FUEL lights, which was also cool.
Many thanks

I didn't add a lot of mods to my Metallica, but I did add the Cemetery arch to my game. It looks like it should be there,to me at least.

Screenshot_20230413-013932-192 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230413-013932-192 (resized).png
5 months later
1 week later
#21161 7 months ago

Occasionally the coffin magnet on my Met premium holds the ball to long, preventing it from entering the ball lock.Then the magnet returns back to the playfield ,still holding the ball. After the magnet returns to the playfield,the ball comes loose ,and goes back into play. I also noticed that if I hit the coffin magnet right after the ball was released,the magnet grabs the ball,and sometimes its released into the coffin lock,like it should
I did replace the balls,but the problem is I can still hear that the magnet is still being energized,so the ball isn't released.
Can this be a problem with the magnet board?
I've been going back and forth with Sterns tech support,and so far no improvement.

The ball lock plunger was acting up,so I gave the optos a quick cleaning with alcohol,and they seem a little better. Before the cleaning the the ball lock plunger would keep firing after it was empty. I'm not really sure if the cleaning helped or not.

#21168 7 months ago
Quoted from PinFever:

If you have an original release game up to a certain point serial # then you may have an original magnet board that has been replaced by stern if you submitted a ticket to replace as they had problems like you are experiencing here. You can look up that stern bulletin and check yourself and stern may help you out on that . Good luck . Met premium is my number 1 pin made ever !!!! And not sure why anyone needs a spare playfield as mine looks like it did day one with no evidence it will ever need to be swapped with an owner that keeps up proper maintenance and cleaning!

I'll double check. I remember checking when I bought this game, and I thought I was okay with the year mine was made.I guess it still doesn't mean a newer board can't be shot.
Thanks for your help.

Quoted from j_m_:

yes, the latest rev of the magnet board is revision D

Thanks,I only saw two bulletins at Stern. One for the scoop,and the other for the magnet board. It says that my machine has the new magnet board due to my serial number.
Screenshot_20230922-142712-159 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230922-142712-159 (resized).png

#21171 7 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

That does sound like a magnet board issue if you've already tried new balls. You can check the board itself to see which part number is stamped on it.
But the solenoid firing over and over sounds like a separate issue. Check those optos in switch test. Could need new optos or the small board that drives them.
Do you have any lighting mods that could be affecting optos? Many have reported problems with the Cross and inline drops optos due to lighting mods.

Thanks for the suggestions,I already have a new magnet board and six optos added to my cart. I might as well add the small opto board to my cart as well.
I do have Mezel Mods cemetery arch added to my grave yard. That's the only electrical mod added to my game.
Quick question,in the switch test,how do I test the optos? I was putting a business card in front of them and they all made a noise like they were active.
I'll be away all day today,so I have to get back to my Metallica tomorrow.
Thanks again
Ralph

#21183 7 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Nothing wrong with testing like that. But a better way would be to roll a ball in there one at a time to make sure the ball is triggering a response. Also important that none of the optos a triggering without anything blocking them. Try going into test mode and hitting on the cabinet and playfield with your hand and see if anything triggers.

Quick question,how would you add a ball to the coffin lock to test the optos,like you mentioned?
I'm not sure if this was the cause of the problem or not. I disconnected the wire that connects to the magnet board from the coffin magnet,and reseated it.Then I kept hitting the coffin newton ball to start Coffin multiball. I caused five cycles of coffin multiball,and the coffin lock and coffin magnet worked perfectly? I'm a little suspicious that this was the problem ,but so far it's been perfect.

1 month later
#21338 5 months ago
Quoted from Zenomorp:

Yes. It does that if it thinks a ball is stuck in the coffin. It’s an issue with the opto(s). Reseat the connectors on the opto boards for the coffin. I added a little hot glue on them to keep them from moving because I had the same issue.

I was having the same problem a month ago. I reseated all of my optos,and the problem still persisted. I was getting ready to order new optos,but I tried reseating all of the optos again,and I also reseated the magnet board connection. Now my game is back to normal,and I guess reseating the magnet board was just a coincidence. Maybe the first time I reseated the optos,I didn't do such a good job? But the game has played flawlessly for a month now.

1 week later
#21361 5 months ago

Might not be such a bad idea if Stern does another run of Metallica's? Maybe he's getting why the getting's good.

2 weeks later
#21426 4 months ago
Quoted from BigalzPinz:

WoW !! 13 METS for sale on marketplace !! 9 Pros and 4 Premiums !! What is wrong with you people !!! HA !! Get um' while they're Hot !!

Maybe they are getting while the getting's good,before the new Metallica's are released? Hopefully the same thing happens when the MMr's finally get announced.

#21433 4 months ago

I have a Metallica Roadcase, and this game is staying right where it’s at. That’s why I can’t concern myself about the possibility's of my game losing any value. Plus I’m hoping that the new Sparky is compatible with my game. I’d really like to pick up a spare just in case.

2 weeks later
#21470 3 months ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I wish there was dirty donny artblades that matched the playfield

I wish the same thing , and I'd be the first in line if they were available.

1 month later
#21570 79 days ago
Quoted from swampfire:

As a Stern POTC owner, I had no interest in the JJP POTC. I feel the same way about a Spike2 Metallica. Doesn’t change the fact that I enjoy my game a lot. SAM pins are easier to work on, and they’re ready to play 3 seconds after you turn them on. A video screen isn’t going to sway me. I also think the dots (color with the CDMD) are great on this game.
Of course we’ll welcome our new MET friends here when they show up.

I can get a quick game of Metallica in,while I'm waiting for my JP to boot up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.95
$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ralphs007.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread?tu=ralphs007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.