IMG_2159 (resized).jpeg
Metallica PBT 2 1 (resized).jpg
Metallica PBT 1 1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0369 (resized).jpeg
45F86A5C-164A-4AE7-82D5-F956B0FBF61A (resized).png
13D88BB1-0F57-46B2-92AB-557955F4A9B6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0271 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 433.
#9401 7 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

You get led version? I have led in SS and regular in AFM and I like the led one much more. Would love to see a photo of an led in Metallica before I order one.
Here are some photos of my new refinery pro.

Welcome to the club. You may want to request a new inline cross stickers. It looks like your #1&#3 are peeling off. Ouch.

#9402 7 years ago

Just got my 10 dollar piston key chain chain mod installed .i think im gonna like it this game is the boom

IMG_1412 (resized).JPGIMG_1412 (resized).JPG

#9403 7 years ago

Yep on the sticker. Funny thing is I didn't even realize until I took the photo lol.

Oh well easy fix.

#9404 7 years ago

You get led version? I have led in SS and regular in AFM and I like the led one much more. Would love to see a photo of an led in Metallica before I order one.
Here are some photos of my new refinery pro.

WOW yours was played hard, mine is #8 (I'm the second owner) and doesn't look remotely as beat as yours. Hope ya got it for a good price.

#9405 7 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Just got my 10 dollar piston key chain chain mod installed .i think im gonna like it this game is the boom

Where did you buy it? Looks awesome!

#9406 7 years ago

Just got it. 4th owner I think HUO. Needs some cleaning which happens tomorrow but overall in very good shape really.

No doubt though I need a couple cliffys and new cross decal.

Mylar over magnets looks decent but dirty.

It's going to get some TLC tomorrow.

#9407 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Unless its actually mushrooming out where the core is bigger than the hole.. it's fine. It will look chewed up like that. When you need to address it is when the edges mushroom out and start working their way into the wood.

Ah ok nice. It's like a mountain if anything still. It's not flat at all. I guess the only problem is I might not even see that mushroom out over time with the Cliffy there now.

#9408 7 years ago

Just got it. 4th owner I think HUO. Needs some cleaning which happens tomorrow but overall in very good shape really.
No doubt though I need a couple cliffys and new cross decal.
Mylar over magnets looks decent but dirty.
It's going to get some TLC tomorrow.

#9409 7 years ago

Sld be new drop target stickers in the coinbox or goody bag.....

#9410 7 years ago

Oh, Metallica comes with a goodie bag too? Does it have a little standup sign for your desk? Hope so! That was one of my favorite unexpected surprises from WoZ haha

#9411 7 years ago

Anybody have issues with drop targets not dropping completely down? This has happened to me a couple times which required glass removal to get the ball back. The 3rd/final grave marker drop target will sometimes partially drop when hit and will stay raised about 1/4" above the playfield. If the ball gets past it and it doesn't drop completely, the ball is now stuck and can only be retrieved by manually pressing the drop target to drop it down completely. Before I pull the whole drop target assembly and look for issues any tips?

#9412 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Anybody have issues with drop targets not dropping completely down? This has happened to me a couple times which required glass removal to get the ball back. The 3rd/final grave marker drop target will sometimes partially drop when hit and will stay raised about 1/4" above the playfield. If the ball gets past it and it doesn't drop completely, the ball is now stuck and can only be retrieved by manually pressing the drop target to drop it down completely. Before I pull the whole drop target assembly and look for issues any tips?

There is an adjustment you can make on the mechanism from underneath to level off the height of the target after it falls.

#9413 7 years ago

On Metallica premium and le do you guys leave the GI 2 led sterns bulbs in or do you switch them out for frosteds? What looks better?

#9414 7 years ago
Quoted from Meegis:

There is an adjustment you can make on the mechanism from underneath to level off the height of the target after it falls.

I don't think that's the issue. When the target drops fully which it does most of the time, it sits completely flush. Occasionally it will only drop most of the way down. Another hit will usually drop it fully unless the ball gets stuck behind then glass needs to come off.

#9415 7 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

On Metallica premium and le do you guys leave the GI 2 led sterns bulbs in or do you switch them out for frosteds? What looks better?

I think the top lanes look better with froster red leds. Swapped out some others as well including color matching red inserts. Cheap to try so why not?

#9416 7 years ago

IMG_0314 (resized).JPGIMG_0314 (resized).JPG

#9417 7 years ago

ColorDMD installed this morning!!!!

IMG_1447 (resized).JPGIMG_1447 (resized).JPG

#9418 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I think the top lanes look better with froster red leds. Swapped out some others as well including color matching red inserts. Cheap to try so why not?

Reason I'm asking for premium and le games is because of the color changing GI. Does it look better in frosted bulbs?

#9419 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Did you have to buy a clear lense?

I've heard Metallica's lense in red and must be changed to clear? Thanks!

#9420 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Did you have to buy a clear lense?
I've heard Metallica's lense in red and must be changed to clear? Thanks!

Games with a metal speaker panel (Premium/Pro LED) need the clear shield to replace the red one that ships with the game.

Earlier run games (with wood speaker panels) shipped with a clear shield and do not need to be replaced.

#9421 7 years ago
Quoted from Dmod:

Games with a metal speaker panel (Premium/Pro LED) need the clear shield to replace the red one that ships with the game.
Earlier run games (with wood speaker panels) shipped with a clear shield and do not need to be replaced.

Thank you for your answer. I will buy a color dmd very soon for my Metallica Pro making its way home. 2 questions:

Where do I buy this clear lense? How much?

What's preferred for Metallica, LED or LCD?

#9422 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Looks like LCD DMD correct? What settings?

#9423 7 years ago

Looks like LCD DMD correct? What settings?

LCD set on scan

#9424 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thank you for your answer. I will buy a color dmd very soon for my Metallica Pro making its way home. 2 questions:
Where do I buy this clear lense? How much?
What's preferred for Metallica, LED or LCD?

We have display shields and standoff kits on the ACCESSORIES page of our store site. LCD upscaling modes have been popular on Metallica but it boils down to personal preference.

#9425 7 years ago

I don't think that's the issue. When the target drops fully which it does most of the time, it sits completely flush. Occasionally it will only drop most of the way down. Another hit will usually drop it fully unless the ball gets stuck behind then glass needs to come off.

Sounds like something is jammed in the slotting or the spring is stretched/broken.

The drops on met are in a terribly finicky mech and all three are connected to the same rods that guide them up/down.

Try tapping them with your finger manually to make them drop and see if the problems persists. It may be as simple as a dirty target slide. Hard to tell without seeing it, but I understand now, its not the height adjustment I mentioned.

Maybe get a quick video if possible.

#9426 7 years ago

Are you the original owner? Has the drop target assy ever been adjusted/modified?

I'm asking because I have the exact problem you describe. I created the problem myself but it happens rarely enough that I can live with it. The drops are notorious for either falling down on their own or bricking. I had the problem of falling down on their own. So I modified my drop target assy by adding washers which puts more pressure behind the targets. But I got too much pressure and sometimes the drop will actually hang up on the edge of the drop target decal, which means it will stick up about 1/8 inch above the playfield. Now, that is fine if the next ball is a fast moving ball because it will just knock the target the rest of the way down as it rolls by. But if it is a slow moving ball it may get trapped behind the target and require a glass removal to free the stuck ball.

#9427 7 years ago

Have MET PREMIUM coming this week. Is
there a consensus on the best topper for this game? Would appreciate links to product if possible. Thanks!!

#9428 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Are you the original owner? Has the drop target assy ever been adjusted/modified?
I'm asking because I have the exact problem you describe. I created the problem myself but it happens rarely enough that I can live with it. The drops are notorious for either falling down on their own or bricking. I had the problem of falling down on their own. So I modified my drop target assy by adding washers which puts more pressure behind the targets. But I got too much pressure and sometimes the drop will actually hang up on the edge of the drop target decal, which means it will stick up about 1/8 inch above the playfield. Now, that is fine if the next ball is a fast moving ball because it will just knock the target the rest of the way down as it rolls by. But if it is a slow moving ball it may get trapped behind the target and require a glass removal to free the stuck ball.

I had to do the washer trick as well. It's quite possible you used a washer that was too thick.

#9429 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I'm the original owner and have never touched the drop target assy mech. My symptoms sound exactly the same as yours. Just not sure where it's hanging up maybe something needed to be tightened or filed down, haven't pulled the mech yet.

#9430 7 years ago
Quoted from PhillyArcade:

Ah ok nice. It's like a mountain if anything still. It's not flat at all. I guess the only problem is I might not even see that mushroom out over time with the Cliffy there now.

No actually you want to cut the mylar away from the top of the Magnet Core. If you don't it will get chewed up and leave a sticky glue residue on your pinballs. Just lay a circle piece of mylar over the magnet core about 1" extended from the core then use an exacto knife & cut the mylar away that covers the core.

#9431 7 years ago

Loving my new Metallica so far. It was pretty dirty. Used novus 2 and then waxed her up really nice and installed some super shiny's. also updated to new code. Are there some recommended settings to change other than free play and coin door ball save which I do on all my pins? Sure are a lot of gameplay options on this pin!

#9432 7 years ago

Loving my new Metallica so far. It was pretty dirty. Used novus 2 and then waxed her up really nice and installed some super shiny's. also updated to new code. Are there some recommended settings to change other than free play and coin door ball save which I do on all my pins? Sure are a lot of gameplay options on this pin!

have u read ANY OF the previous 188 pages? Lots of good recommendations!

#9433 7 years ago

Has anyone experienced a random multiball at the start of Crank it Up? I know it can't just be my machine because it happened to me on a friend's Premium as well.

Basically, at the start of a Crank it Up, 2 more balls are shot out of the plunger. The game makes no reference to them but plays properly (if one ball is lost, the game doesn't end the ball). The mode plays exactly the same. It's happened to me twice on my machine (Pro) and once on a friend's (Premium).

#9434 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Has anyone experienced a random multiball at the start of Crank it Up? I know it can't just be my machine because it happened to me on a friend's Premium as well.
Basically, at the start of a Crank it Up, 2 more balls are shot out of the plunger. The game makes no reference to them but plays properly (if one ball is lost, the game doesn't end the ball). The mode plays exactly the same. It's happened to me twice on my machine (Pro) and once on a friend's (Premium).

Something is not right. CIU is strictly a single ball mode from everything I've experienced.

#9435 7 years ago

End of the Line is multiball

But all the others are single ball. I wish I were more knowledgeable so I could help. I know some other Stern games use an infrared LED ball trough board to handle the kick outs. On Transformers, if this board malfunctions, or the LED or readers are dirty, or the leads need to be reseated, etc. it will kick out two balls into normal play. It seems strange if this is ONLY ever happening in Crank It Up though. In the times I've seen it (never on Metallica), it would be sporadic and not at all dependent on mode.

Edit: The part on TF is Dual Opto Transmitter #515-0173-00, and I see Metallica uses this same part. Page b3 of the manual: http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/metallica/pro/421/MTLAB1.PDF

That might be a lead into the issue. It was previously recommended to me to just replace the board if the foil traces are broken. If the connector is loose, just try reseating it. Some people have had to use cable ties to help hold the connector to the board on other games.

#9436 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

have u read ANY OF the previous 188 pages? Lots of good recommendations!

Nice. Yes, but not all 188! Thanks for the help.

#9437 7 years ago

Where do you guys buy your Mylar rolls from? I would like to mylar the sparky area. Thanks!

#9438 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Where do you guys buy your Mylar rolls from? I would like to mylar the sparky area. Thanks!

I purchased a big piece of it from Marco. It was 22 inches 2ft long, rolled up, and is enough to do many games. I also bought some of the iron man mylar circles. The big piece I bought is thicker, and stickier and seems way more heavy duty.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/66-MFT

#9439 7 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Guys mylar is great for certain spots, but use this removable mylar, it's not vinyl cling , durable like mylar but with no residue or glue left behind when removed

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Repositionable-Adhesive-Backed-Cutters-Punches/dp/B013Z7DZA6/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_1

#9441 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Guys mylar is great for certain spots, but use this removable mylar, it's not vinyl cling , durable like mylar but with no residue or glue left behind when removed ...

https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Repositionable-Adhesive-Backed-Cutters-Punches/dp/B013Z7DZA6/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_1

What is the advantage of this vs. cling vinyl? Is it thinner or more durable?

#9442 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

End of the Line is multiball
But all the others are single ball. I wish I were more knowledgeable so I could help. I know some other Stern games use an infrared LED ball trough board to handle the kick outs. On Transformers, if this board malfunctions, or the LED or readers are dirty, or the leads need to be reseated, etc. it will kick out two balls into normal play. It seems strange if this is ONLY ever happening in Crank It Up though. In the times I've seen it (never on Metallica), it would be sporadic and not at all dependent on mode.
Edit: The part on TF is Dual Opto Transmitter #515-0173-00, and I see Metallica uses this same part. Page b3 of the manual: http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/games/metallica/pro/421/MTLAB1.PDF
That might be a lead into the issue. It was previously recommended to me to just replace the board if the foil traces are broken. If the connector is loose, just try reseating it. Some people have had to use cable ties to help hold the connector to the board on other games.

Yes - it is weird. The issue has never occurred outside of CIU (and on mine it happened 6 mos apart), and it's happened on another machine I played as well. I would think it would be a trough issue if it happened all the time, but it never has. Just wanted to see if anyone experienced this besides me.

#9443 7 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

Yes - it is weird. The issue has never occurred outside of CIU (and on mine it happened 6 mos apart), and it's happened on another machine I played as well. I would think it would be a trough issue if it happened all the time, but it never has. Just wanted to see if anyone experienced this besides me.

It happened one time to me on my pro, but it hasn't happened since. I thought it was a trough problem, too, but no other trough issues. It did happen at the beginning of a CIU. I let the extra balls drain on purpose, and the CIU continued as normal.

What code are you running? I can't remember how long ago it happened to me.

#9444 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What is the advantage of this vs. cling vinyl? Is it thinner or more durable?

It's much more durable , imo, and cling vinyl has a tendency to roll up / come up when the ball moves over it . Just another option I like .

#9445 7 years ago

I would think the extra balls in CIU mode start would be trough issues too. There is a ball saver at the start so maybe its loosing track of balls and kicking another out?

For premium/LE machines, you'd need to check coffin lock switches too, I figure.

#9446 7 years ago

I used some EL wire to make a helmet mod. I then decided to make Sparky really Ride The Lightning with an EL wire "pants mod". It does not get washed out with all the LEDs like the helmet does. Provides some extra visual feedback when you bash Sparky.

#9447 7 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Guys mylar is great for certain spots, but use this removable mylar, it's not vinyl cling , durable like mylar but with no residue or glue left behind when removed

I use the screen protectors that are designed for mobile phones and tablets. No residue, completely clear, hard wearing and most importantly dirt cheap.
Have never had any of them start lifting, I've had to point out exactly where I've placed them to people as they just can't see it. I'd take a photo - but there's no point

#9448 7 years ago

Mylar also works great and comes up very eaisly and is very cheap and not thick. Also if you wax first u can easily pull it up with no glue left behind at all. Ive been using mylar on every pin ive redid the last 3-4 years with never one issue.

#9449 7 years ago
Quoted from WJxxxx:

I use the screen protectors that are designed for mobile phones and tablets. No residue, completely clear, hard wearing and most importantly dirt cheap.
Have never had any of them start lifting, I've had to point out exactly where I've placed them to people as they just can't see it. I'd take a photo - but there's no point

The removable mylarr is probably a third as thick as a screen protector maybe more .

#9450 7 years ago
Quoted from Sparky:

It happened one time to me on my pro, but it hasn't happened since. I thought it was a trough problem, too, but no other trough issues. It did happen at the beginning of a CIU. I let the extra balls drain on purpose, and the CIU continued as normal.
What code are you running? I can't remember how long ago it happened to me.

It happened to me before as well. I believe I was on 1.6 code... Maybe even earlier. But since I have been on 1.7 it has not occurred. Can't tell you if it coincidence or not.

-Jim

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 21,642 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 433.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-owners-thread/page/189 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.