IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 243 of 260.
#12101 10 months ago
Quoted from glpinball:

My glass is fine never heard of that one.

It's as if the channel grooving is set too low or the playfield is sitting slightly too high. When I take the lockbar off, the glass does not naturally slide down. When I pull it down to remove it, the very edge of the glass hits the front of the cabinet about the coin door.I have to jimmy something under the glass ever so slightly to be able to slide it out safely.

#12102 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

It's as if the channel grooving is set too low or the playfield is sitting slightly too high. When I take the lockbar off, the glass does not naturally slide down. When I pull it down to remove it, the very edge of the glass hits the front of the cabinet about the coin door.I have to jimmy something under the glass ever so slightly to be able to slide it out safely.

Read through thread .
Early on this was an issue . I believe that an insert for the side rail track Was added.

#12103 10 months ago

Is the Pinsider still here on the site? I would try to contact him directly.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

There was a pinsider who made his own for very little money.
But I paid for it to help out the community. Its a great mod and takes literally 30 seconds to install.
One in awhile you will get a slow moving ball to hang under the wire and against the lower post there.
But it shakes out easy.
The game play with the wire is better than without.

#12104 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Yeah mine does that same thing. Guess I’ll ask jjp for the kit to fix it. If there is one. It’s pretty annoying. Hard to take glass off.

#12105 10 months ago
Quoted from vintage4life:

Yeah mine does that same thing. Guess I’ll ask jjp for the kit to fix it. If there is one. It’s pretty annoying. Hard to take glass off.

Jam thicker style nylon tie pieces (cut the heads off) about 2 or 3" long under the glass channel (between the plastic channel and the wooden cabinet side) to gain another 1/16" of glass channel height. Push them in with a putty knife or plastic razor blade.

Do it all along the channel every 4" or so on both sides to the end.

You wont see them once installed, if you are worried just use black nylon.

The class channel is simply stapled in place, its easily raised a bit.

If its not enough clearance, use thicker shims.

#12106 10 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Jam thicker style nylon tie pieces (cut the heads off) about 2 or 3" long under the glass channel (between the plastic channel and the wooden cabinet side) to gain another 1/16" of glass channel height. Push them in with a putty knife or plastic razor blade.
Do it all along the channel every 4" or so on both sides to the end.
You wont see them once installed, if you are worried just use black nylon.
The class channel is simply stapled in place, its easily raised a bit.
If its not enough clearance, use thicker shims.

That’s a great idea! I will do that now. Thanks for the info!

#12107 10 months ago

How is this game not wanted by everyone? I just had some buddies over, put the volume at 48 and hooked up a sub. It’s a masterpiece. Most insane pinball experience I ever had. If I was trying to get someone into pinball that’s the experience I would give them. Hobbit full blast with a sub in a pitch black room. Sold.

#12108 10 months ago

How is this game not wanted by everyone?

Low production numbers! 1900 total.
2/3 or more are in home
And the few in the wild are not the same experience as in a home.
Most people never really get a chance on one and are influenced by the rumors of a few.

#12109 10 months ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Is the Pinsider still here on the site? I would try to contact him directly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/198#post-6164514

It's about a 5 cent mod to make.

#12110 10 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Okay, now I feel slightly less moronic. Good to know I'm not the only one with that issue.

Me too, same issue.

#12112 10 months ago

First customer received their set. Thanks DrDoom for providing pics

pinside.1aa02c467e1c3b5ee16505a2d5f75b8d31fd8bd9 (resized).jpgpinside.1aa02c467e1c3b5ee16505a2d5f75b8d31fd8bd9 (resized).jpgpinside.2c61ea6f7bd6f44bd96a30d7349a86e48ef2b216 (resized).jpgpinside.2c61ea6f7bd6f44bd96a30d7349a86e48ef2b216 (resized).jpgpinside.4ad489e98563208c16ee1af282eac54e0a374dc4 (resized).jpgpinside.4ad489e98563208c16ee1af282eac54e0a374dc4 (resized).jpgpinside.58c6f43b593b10cd8b8ac193d1f816ed270b0bb1 (resized).jpgpinside.58c6f43b593b10cd8b8ac193d1f816ed270b0bb1 (resized).jpgpinside.839cbcd8c3f1701f9938f065af06697181b4710e (resized).jpgpinside.839cbcd8c3f1701f9938f065af06697181b4710e (resized).jpgpinside.869bf6005ae081dba915a48a255d692b1257b538 (resized).jpgpinside.869bf6005ae081dba915a48a255d692b1257b538 (resized).jpgpinside.9f0c8a8ebc82b0cf5b7647f96a2349ae7fa3a773 (resized).jpgpinside.9f0c8a8ebc82b0cf5b7647f96a2349ae7fa3a773 (resized).jpgpinside.a27f6b23c9f468a278de0b5363407d44f4c73b08 (resized).jpgpinside.a27f6b23c9f468a278de0b5363407d44f4c73b08 (resized).jpgpinside.a59fd82c916b512edfc8af45d1e13265b3239583 (resized).jpgpinside.a59fd82c916b512edfc8af45d1e13265b3239583 (resized).jpgpinside.d3f9af49bc760e537069b7510814bf557a6c6b5c (resized).jpgpinside.d3f9af49bc760e537069b7510814bf557a6c6b5c (resized).jpg
#12113 10 months ago

Nice job on the install DrDoom

Quoted from flashinstinct:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#12114 10 months ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I also want one ! where can i buy it?

#12116 10 months ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Nice job on the install DrDoom

Thanks

It's actually an easy job, but also pretty fumbly on the ramps

#12117 10 months ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

Thanks
It's actually an easy job, but also pretty fumbly on the ramps

Not if you have skinny fingers!

#12118 10 months ago

Those are awesome!

#12119 10 months ago

Costs $20 and a bit of soldering. Before and after. IMG_7217.pngIMG_7217.png

IMG_7216.jpegIMG_7216.jpegIMG_7220.jpegIMG_7220.jpeg

#12120 10 months ago

Costs $20 and a bit of soldering. Before and after. [quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

I put a 8" high and 20 or so inch wide piece of 1/2 CTO gel filter on mine to cover all the LEDS acrss and kill the blue on the upper portion. It works well.

Very natural color.

Yours looks nice!

#12121 10 months ago

Costs $20 and a bit of soldering. Before and after. [quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you try turning the edge ones 90 degrees so they don’t point straight at the glass? Might be nice less intense effect and give you a nice emerald green color.

#12122 10 months ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Did you try turning the edge ones 90 degrees so they don’t point straight at the glass? Might be nice less intense effect and give you a nice emerald green color.

No I just stuck them straight out. I will give that a try. That would probably look pretty good. Wonder if I can put something on them to dim them down instead.

#12123 10 months ago

No I just stuck them straight out. I will give that a try. That would probably look pretty good. Wonder if I can put something on them to dim them down instead.

Try blue or green painters tape to dim leds
You can do strip or individual.

#12125 10 months ago

True
But that would dim the whole strand .
With the tape it’s selective . One may Want it bright in middle and dark on ends.
With tape this can be achieved . Even mix blue Green or standard painters tape to shadow the effects .( simple easy and removable)

#12126 10 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

Try blue or green painters tape to dim leds
You can do strip or individual.

Just apply the tape over the LED's?

#12127 10 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

True
With the tape it’s selective . One may Want it bright in middle and dark on ends.
With tape this can be achieved . Even mix blue Green or standard painters tape to shadow the effects .( simple easy and removable)

I used three of them when I did my backglass but two would have been enough.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/205#post-6246449

#12128 10 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

True

The gel films work the best and are easy to cut an apply over the LED's.

They stay on forever with a little gorilla tape.

CTO (O is for orange) will effectively filter out the blue from the LED's.

CTO easily comes in densities of 1/4, 1/2 or darker.

CTO 1/2 (or 2 layers of CTO 1/4) works pretty good.

Gels have been used for decades for stage lighting to inhibit wavelengths that look off or unnatural.

#12129 10 months ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Just apply the tape over the LED's?

Yes

#12130 10 months ago

Has anyone used the LOTR side blades from SillyOldElf on their Hobbit? Those things look fantastic but would love to see pics on Hobbit if anyone has done it.

#12131 10 months ago

Here’s ours, no dark spots, not overpowering, and we don’t use standard 5050 or 3528 leds as those put out a fair amount of heat and draw more power.

https://lermods.com/products/the-hobbit-woz-pinball-full-translight-kit

IMG_0118 (resized).jpegIMG_0118 (resized).jpeg
#12132 10 months ago

Is there a way to turn off starting modes in multiballs? Especially Smaug. I’m on code 3.10. Not sure if that matters.

#12133 10 months ago

Maybe I'm biased as I think TH is truly a masterpiece "in it's own class" but I also think TH has a couple things against it. A very small niche market because of the theme itself (I'm a Tolkien nerd) and more importantly the amount of hate it received (and rightfully so) when the code was premature.
Imagine not being an avid player and walking up this machine. You see a fairly barren pf and unless a person understands the ruleset it's really not "that" much fun either in comparison to a lot of other games with immediate pf bling. TH is in essence truly a hidden gem because of it. I'm afraid the early disdain is a permanent stain on it though.
But what does that mean for price? Been watching JJP used prices without bias or motive for quite a while.( I simply cannot force myself to separate TH from LOTR anyway) TH certainly dipped well below new price for ~3.5 years? And now look at it. You can buy a used one, play the hell out of it and most likely get your money back if not make a little on top But is there a glass ceiling? This title has never been top 10 let alone even top 20 (currently Pinside 45), used prices creeping into if not already in new "standard" price territory ..... is that the wall for this game? Isn't it odd TH is right next to CV in ratings? So how bad is it ....... really? I'm more or less poking fun at the rating system but like it or not it certainly does play a factor.

#12134 10 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Maybe I'm biased as I think TH is truly a masterpiece "in it's own class" but I also think TH has a couple things against it. A very small niche market because of the theme itself (I'm a Tolkien nerd) and more importantly the amount of hate it received (and rightfully so) when the code was premature.
Imagine not being an avid player and walking up this machine. You see a fairly barren pf and unless a person understands the ruleset it's really not "that" much fun either in comparison to a lot of other games with immediate pf bling. TH is in essence truly a hidden gem because of it. I'm afraid the early disdain is a permanent stain on it though.
But what does that mean for price? Been watching JJP used prices without bias or motive for quite a while.( I simply cannot force myself to separate TH from LOTR anyway) TH certainly dipped well below new price for ~3.5 years? And now look at it. You can buy a used one, play the hell out of it and most likely get your money back if not make a little on top But is there a glass ceiling? This title has never been top 10 let alone even top 20 (currently Pinside 45), used prices creeping into if not already in new "standard" price territory ..... is that the wall for this game? Isn't it odd TH is right next to CV in ratings? So how bad is it ....... really? I'm more or less poking fun at the rating system but like it or not it certainly does play a factor.

Very well said. Best “experience” or “adventure” in pinball by a mile.

#12135 10 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:Maybe I'm biased as I think TH is truly a masterpiece "in it's own class" but I also think TH has a couple things against it. A very small niche market because of the theme itself (I'm a Tolkien nerd) and more importantly the amount of hate it received (and rightfully so) when the code was premature.

Looking through the ratings history, it's definitely a love/hate polarizing game. Unfortunately, some of the honest people ranking the game have only experienced it in a public, loud atmosphere. Even if you look at the individual reviews some really good ratings mixed in with bad ratings all through it's history. I love it, but only want to play it when I'm ready for a long, intense battle. Some people don't like long games. Stereotyping tournament type players - most tournament types don't like long games. To me the intense immersion into this game puts it in another category and it's tops in "that" category. Great for a home setting, not too great for a loud public location or for a tournament. The ranking is stuck in the middle and the history plot below shows it.

History (resized).pngHistory (resized).png
#12136 10 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Looking through the ratings history, it's definitely a love/hate polarizing game. Unfortunately, some of the honest people ranking the game have only experienced it in a public, loud atmosphere. Even if you look at the individual reviews some really good ratings mixed in with bad ratings all through it's history. I love it, but only want to play it when I'm ready for a long, intense battle. Some people don't like long games. Stereotyping tournament type players - most tournament types don't like long games. To me the intense immersion into this game puts it in another category and it's tops in "that" category. Great for a home setting, not too great for a loud public location or for a tournament. The ranking is stuck in the middle and the history plot below shows it.
[quoted image]

As with any movie themed table, one needs to have seen the movie ( this one has three) to appreciate what the game has to offer, no matter how good or bad the movie is.
I think a lot of people haven’t even seen the Hobbit movie let alone all three to understand and appreciate this masterpiece of a pinball! Their loss.
The sounds ,the assets ,the call outs, the clips, the modes, the artwork , did I miss something ?
Oh yeah the Fun!

#12137 10 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

As with any movie themed table, one needs to have seen the movie ( this one has three) to appreciate what the game has to offer, no matter how good or bad the movie is.
I think a lot of people haven’t even seen the Hobbit movie let alone all three to understand and appreciate this masterpiece of a pinball! Their loss.
The sounds ,the assets ,the call outs, the clips, the modes, the artwork , did I miss something ?
Oh yeah the Fun!

What's funny is that my wife and I wanted this pin when it was still a prototype, bought it and loved it without ever seeing the movies. About 8 months later our kids bought the box set of movies for us for Christmas. When we watched the movies, we kept pointing out parts that were in the movie. "That's the extra ball clip!" Our kids shook their heads in discust, laughing at us. Good times.

#12138 10 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

The ranking is stuck in the middle and the history plot below shows it.
[quoted image]

Well I'm always willing to admit when I'm wrong, that data graph shows TH dipped it's toes in the 20's for a blip of time but none the less it was there lol!

Quoted from freddy:

I think a lot of people haven’t even seen the Hobbit movie let alone all three to understand and appreciate this masterpiece of a pinball! T

It truly is their loss. I remember when i first got into the hobby a decade ago. I was reading, taking notes and trying to find that title to play! But boy did I quickly learn that tastes do differ .... by a lot! Certainly not in the correct timeline but I remember CV, TOTAN and Tron as examples. My gawd people wouldn't stop talking about them. Got my wallet all sorts of hot and bothered so I sought them out and played and played them. That was the day I learned money (or hype) doesn't necessarily equate to fun. Pretty? Yes. Unique to look at? Yes. That's all they did for me.
HOWEVER, I do have to say Medievil Madness was one of those hyped titles and by gawd I loved it. If someone offered me a trade for one I'm not sure I could resist but I also know damn well I'd miss TH. It truly is just great in it's own unique way.

Is there any game that you folks would compare to TH? I mean a game that somewhat or closely resembles TH experience?

#12139 10 months ago
Quoted from KingBW:

What's funny is that my wife and I wanted this pin when it was still a prototype, bought it and loved it without ever seeing the movies. About 8 months later our kids bought the box set of movies for us for Christmas. When we watched the movies, we kept pointing out parts that were in the movie. "That's the extra ball clip!" Our kids shook their heads in discust, laughing at us. Good times.

Great story! My daughter had no interest in the movies but after playing the pin she decided to watch them and EVERY time a movie/pin quote came up she turned and looked at me. That was her way of saying "whoa ... I get it!" lol

BTW - the earlier comment about tournament/long ball times. Totally agree. But if you move or remove them outposts you get punished to hell and back.
My high score was almost a 2 hour game. 2 HOURS! I made it to TABA, through it and died the very next mode. I was so happy I died. That was just too freaking much!

#12140 10 months ago

I no longer own a hobbit, but it’s the most immersive game I’ve ever played. It just draws you in. Killing Smaug has to be one of the greatest events in pinball. One thing that really adds to the experience is hooking the game to an external sub and turning up the base level a little more than normal. So many booms in the game.

#12141 10 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

HOWEVER, I do have to say Medievil Madness was one of those hyped titles and by gawd I loved it. If someone offered me a trade for one I'm not sure I could resist but I also know damn well I'd miss TH. It truly is just great in it's own unique way.
Is there any game that you folks would compare to TH? I mean a game that somewhat or closely resembles TH experience?

I owned both MMR and Hobbit at the same time. Hobbit stayed and MMR is gone.

Anyone that bought Hobbit when it first came out knew what they were getting into. Code was not mature for a long time. That was a known for anyone fully participating in the hobby. It’s not fair to criticize early code when it was known it was a work in progress.

New code is awesome and it’s one of the reasons I haven’t sold mine yet.

#12142 10 months ago
Quoted from metahugh:

I owned both MMR and Hobbit at the same time. Hobbit stayed and MMR is gone.
Anyone that bought Hobbit when it first came out knew what they were getting into. Code was not mature for a long time. That was a known for anyone fully participating in the hobby. It’s not fair to criticize early code when it was known it was a work in progress.
New code is awesome and it’s one of the reasons I haven’t sold mine yet.

I recognize you. IIRC you were a huge champion of Ironman back in the day IIRC? Maybe not, might have been some dude named Greg "Rarehero"... but it's nice to hear from you regardless ad I appreciate your thoughts on MM.
I agree it's not fair judging an incomplete machine but that is how things are too often treated in the pin world. I think some examples of pf toys and such help offset the lack of needed code though. Oddly enough, TH I played in the wild was running an earlier version of code. I still loved it. Shortly after I purchased mine the last code release came out and that was just the icing on the cake! My only complaint with the Hobbit is the audio volume of some clips are louder than others. "Well done Master Baggins" grates on me because of it. I submitted a ticket requesting volume normalization and some minor bug I found related to the windlance. No response of course. The "bug" I'm referring to is if a ball rolls past the windlance and bounces hard off the gutter and rolls back over the switch the windlance will put the ball back into play. A new age method of slamming without as much effort LOL

#12143 10 months ago

I'm looking to pick up a Hobbit and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on things to look for when I am buying one?

Thanks!

#12144 10 months ago

Now that my machine is playing great again, I need some pointers on how to master it. I looked at the modes chart, but was curious if there were any recommended videos or blog posts on strategies for playing it.

#12145 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I'm looking to pick up a Hobbit and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on things to look for when I am buying one?
Thanks!

Read through this thread!

#12146 10 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

Read through this thread!

I was looking for a more condensed version rather than a 250 page book.

#12147 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Gota do your home work!

#12148 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I was looking for a more condensed version

Play a few games on it. Hit enter button - any reports come up ? Pop ups go up and down smoothly. Character faces on pop ups register hits ?

Buy it. Enjoy it.

LTG : )

#12149 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I get it. We've all been there. BUT.
Every 4 or 5 pages someone asks the same question. It's complicated. The list is rather long.
Personally, you want a Black Arrow. These were the last and most refined versions of Hobbit.
BA had all the updates and fixes over prior versions. However, things still can go wrong.
Buy local, go and play it. Make sure beast mechs are working good. If not, there not hard to fix.
Good luck in search. And sadly, your wallet will take a Ding.

#12150 10 months ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I get it. We've all been there. BUT.
Every 4 or 5 pages someone asks the same question. It's complicated. The list is rather long.
Personally, you want a Black Arrow. These were the last and most refined versions of Hobbit.
BA had all the updates and fixes over prior versions. However, things still can go wrong.
Buy local, go and play it. Make sure beast mechs are working good. If not, there not hard to fix.
Good luck in search. And sadly, your wallet will take a Ding.

I knew that the Black Arrow version was last but was not clear on what "fixes" were in place over the other two versions?

*** I did some more reading, looks like the fixes and basically ramp flaps and drop target springs? Anything else?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

There are 12,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 243 of 260.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/243 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.