20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 259.
#2001 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Mine is now at my local airport hopefully getting it home tonight. Kind of cool to get one in where the movies were made!

Sadly no more "welcome to middle earth" promo stamps on ones passport....

#2002 7 years ago

Still very happy after 2 months of ownership. The game is a good home use pin with all the modes it has - I still have to look at the book to get instruction to know what to do - some I now know (and that helps).

One thing I recommend is getting some extra drop target springs. I had 1 break and ordered 12 more to have a few extra. I have replaced 3 in total - easy to do if you have them on hand. Go ahead and order a dozen to have a few on stand by.

#2003 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

1.35p firmware to be shown at open house tomorrow

Hope Keith uploads this soon!

Love me some JJP updates - they really up the game every time they release code.

#2004 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

Still very happy after 2 months of ownership. The game is a good home use pin with all the modes it has - I still have to look at the book to get instruction to know what to do - some I now know (and that helps).
One thing I recommend is getting some extra drop target springs. I had 1 break and ordered 12 more to have a few extra. I have replaced 3 in total - easy to do if you have them on hand. Go ahead and order a dozen to have a few on stand by.

Distro sent me a "hobbit update kit" from JJP without requesting one. It included 12 of those springs.

None of mine have broken yet after 250 games or so.

Before you go buying them,make a request, I'm sure you'll get them for free.

#2005 7 years ago

Odd that the 1.35 code isn't up at the JJP site. Puleeeeez put it up... We wants the precious.

I'm also curious --- how many of you got the playfield protector? Is that a good thing to have? What is the effect on TH?

#2006 7 years ago

hi guys does anyone know where to get the new 1.35 code ?

#2007 7 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

hi guys does anyone know where to get the new 1.35 code ?

When it is released, it will be on here :

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/

1.35P is testing right now.

LTG : )

#2008 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

When it is released, it will be on here :
http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/
1.35P is testing right now.

Awesome, can't wait!

#2009 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Your game is early like mine, and missing the upper mylar around the character mechs.
Call Frank at JJP and have him send you the upper mylar pieces to support the top edge.
My game is wearing out the clearcoat from the flaps rubbing there, and has a few tiny chips in it.
You cant see them at all with the glass on, but, it will get much worse without the mylar support at the top of the mech.

Are people with Hobbits that have the full playfield protectors installed ALSO placing upper mylars around the character mechs or is that overkill?

#2010 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Are people with Hobbits that have the full playfield protectors installed ALSO placing upper mylars around the character mechs or is that overkill?

You don't need any Mylar if you have the protector. Whatever is factory installed UNDER the protector is it.

#2011 7 years ago

There is no Battle of the 5 armies in 1.35.
1.35 is an update that concentrates on Mode scoring. You can chain modes together that are related to each other, get bonus for finishing them early, and also for being on the map (spinner map) at the same place or furthur then where the scene takes place.

How is the right VUK acting for people? Whenever an Arkenstone mode is light i really struggle to get the shot. The ball usually gets there by accident. This is because if i actually shoot for it, a perfect shot seems to pop out. im at pitch 7.5 so I cannot really dial down the flipper strength as its already lower than default. The left VUK metal is just metal. The right VUK has the Blue rubber on it. Has anyone taken this off of modified it?

#2012 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You don't need any Mylar if you have the protector. Whatever is factory installed UNDER the protector is it.

Well. actually, wouldn't be too hard at all to lift up the protector and put a couple small pieces of mylar down beneath right next to the trap door cutouts. Remember that protector is not glued down at all.

I'm just asking if people think that that's enough protection for repeated trapdoor smackdowns on the playfield.

#2013 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Well. actually, wouldn't be too hard at all to lift up the protector and put a couple small pieces of mylar down beneath right next to the trap door cutouts. Remember that protector is not glued down at all.
I'm just asking if people think that that's enough protection for repeated trapdoor smackdowns on the playfield.

Of course it is...the plastic protector IS your protection.
I'm honestly not sure why you're thinking of adding mylar under the thick protector. What do you think that would accomplish?

#2014 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

There is no Battle of the 5 armies in 1.35.
1.35 is an update that concentrates on Mode scoring. You can chain modes together that are related to each other, get bonus for finishing them early, and also for being on the map (spinner map) at the same place or furthur then where the scene takes place.
How is the right VUK acting for people? Whenever an Arkenstone mode is light i really struggle to get the shot. The ball usually gets there by accident. This is because if i actually shoot for it, a perfect shot seems to pop out. im at pitch 7.5 so I cannot really dial down the flipper strength as its already lower than default. The left VUK metal is just metal. The right VUK has the Blue rubber on it. Has anyone taken this off of modified it?

I have found that the higher the pitch the less likely you can backhand the holes.
I could easily backhand the holes on either side with a pitch of 6.9
When i raised it to 7.2 backhand no longer works.

#2015 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Of course it is...the plastic protector IS your protection.
I'm honestly not sure why you're thinking of adding mylar under the thick protector. What do you think that would accomplish?

I'm wondering if anyone who has the playfield protector installed has had any problems with damage along the back edge of where the trap door meets the playfield.

It seems possible because the edge of the protector is not perfectly flush with the back edge. At least not as flush as applied mylar would be. It also seems possible because the protector is essentially kept in place by gravity, so it might have enough play to not offer good protection against heavy trap door activity, which is unusual and so the protector might not behave as expected.

I think adding mylar under the thick, but RELATIVELY unsecured and imprecise playfield protector, might accomplish adding protection to those high impact areas. I also think that it might not be the most difficult surgery in the world. But no one likes to stick mylar onto their playfield unless they're pretty sure it is necessary. Still, better than damage, of course.

#2016 7 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

I'm wondering if anyone who has the playfield protector installed has had any problems with damage along the back edge of where the trap door meets the playfield.
It seems possible because the edge of the protector is not perfectly flush with the back edge. At least not as flush as applied mylar would be. It also seems possible because the protector is essentially kept in place by gravity, so it might have enough play to not offer good protection against heavy trap door activity, which is unusual and so the protector might not behave as expected.
I think adding mylar under the thick, but RELATIVELY unsecured and imprecise playfield protector, might accomplish adding protection to those high impact areas. I also think that it might not be the most difficult surgery in the world. But no one likes to stick mylar onto their playfield unless they're pretty sure it is necessary. Still, better than damage, of course.

With the playfield protector the flap can't mechanically touch the playfield. The flap is pretty large and it doesn't bend, so if even the front of the flap touches the protector it won't hit the playfield.

The edges of the flap are what cause the damage and it overlaps the hole by quite bit.

#2017 7 years ago

On my Hobbit LE, the ring around "The Ring" button on the lockdown bar is clear. However I have seen several pictures of other TH pins where the ring is gold. What color is your ring button surround? Does anyone know were to get one of the gold ones? I'd paint mine but am unsure of it's durability.

Hobbit Ring Button (resized).jpgHobbit Ring Button (resized).jpg

#2018 7 years ago

OMG the call just came from the shipping company! The Hobbit LE is HERE! must leave work early and pick up!

#2019 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

must leave work early and pick up!

Well worth it. Have fun !

#2020 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

On my Hobbit LE, the ring around "The Ring" button on the lockdown bar is clear. However I have seen several pictures of other TH pins where the ring is gold. What color is your ring button surround? Does anyone know were to get one of the gold ones? I'd paint mine but am unsure of it's durability.

If you are referring to the gold in the picture you posted I believe that the gold ring is part of the sticker and the button is clear.

#2021 7 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

If you are referring to the gold in the picture you posted I believe that the gold ring is part of the sticker and the button is clear.

Do my eyes deceive me?

#2022 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

I have seen several pictures of other TH pins where the ring is gold.

Quoted from fnosm:

Agree with jletoum. If you look at the picture you attached you can see the base of the button is clear and it's the decal that has the ring on it!

#2023 7 years ago

Anyone run into this scenario? When starting up the game I am not getting the option to select the skill shot as it appears one of the switches is being activated thus negating the selection process. I haven't fully investigated this yet but figured I would throw it up here in case there is others bored at work that may have had this issue!

#2024 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

it appears one of the switches is being activated

Tests - Switches - Matrixed - anything pop up closed that should be open ?

#2025 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Anyone run into this scenario? When starting up the game I am not getting the option to select the skill shot as it appears one of the switches is being activated thus negating the selection process. I haven't fully investigated this yet but figured I would throw it up here in case there is others bored at work that may have had this issue!

Try tapping the ring button, it will alert the machine to cycle through the skill shots.

#2026 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Switches - Matrixed - anything pop up closed that should be open ?

Thanks Lloyd! Got home and found that one of the stand up targets wasnt gapped enough so when the machine was firing the ball into the shooter lane the switch closed. All good now!

#2027 7 years ago

Hello all! Finally got my Hobbit today!! What a beautiful game I must say!

IMG_20160922_172327347 (resized).jpgIMG_20160922_172327347 (resized).jpg

#2028 7 years ago

What date did you order your game? Still waiting...

#2029 7 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

I ordered mine 9/3/2013

#2030 7 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

I ordered mine 9/3/2013

I ordered mine from JJack directly in June of 2013. Hmm!

#2031 7 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

OMG, WATCH OUT! Gollum is in your house, sneaky little bastard........

#2032 7 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

Don't think you're the Lone Ranger. I ordered Dec. 13, 2012, and I haven't even been told that it has been released for production. I don't need it right now so the delay just means I get one with all the bugs ironed out...hopefully.

#2033 7 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

LOVE how Gollum is hiding by your pin.

#2034 7 years ago

The Hobbit Smaug #717 on its way home! Ordered 7/14/14. The wait is finally over!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#2035 7 years ago
Quoted from pballinhd:

I took over a pre-order that was originally made on 11/7/2013. When I took over the pre-order in early August I was told my machine would be shipped this month (September), but as of a day or two ago I was told there was a delay as they are waiting for some parts, and I was not given a new time frame...just that they will be in touch closer to the time when my game is shipping.

#2036 7 years ago

Got my replacement power supply today, installed it and the machine fired right up! First game in 2 weeks was a good one! Got to Into The Fire! 3rd highest score on the score board.

#2037 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Got my replacement power supply today, installed it and the machine fired right up! First game in 2 weeks was a good one! Got to Into The Fire! 3rd highest score on the score board.

Good for you, must feel nice.

#2038 7 years ago

Was soooo hoping for some new code to try out this weekend

#2039 7 years ago

Hey there. Just got my hobbit LE thursday. Set it up no damage which was a huge relief. Had a full night last night of friends coming over and playing i didnt have time to set up the new code so we played the original version last night all was well besides for the odd little known issues.
Didnt play it Today yet but i updated the code and now my ball autolaunch is so weak it wont kick a ball up into the shooter slot! I went to the settings and maxed it out at 32 and it still keeps trying but wont kick a ball up to the shooter. I keeps trying and trying but when i watch it the ball just goes halfway up and then falls down. Coil pushing enough power. Everything is tight and plugged around the area. Solder looks good and connected, but im a n00b so i have no idea really

Edit sorry posted this in a different forum accidentally placed it here for better visibility.

20160924_163309 (resized).jpg20160924_163309 (resized).jpg

20160924_163343 (resized).jpg20160924_163343 (resized).jpg

#2040 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

Hey there. Just got my hobbit LE thursday. Set it up no damage which was a huge relief. Had a full night last night of friends coming over and playing i didnt have time to set up the new code so we played the original version last night all was well besides for the odd little known issues.
Didnt play it Today yet but i updated the code and now my ball autolaunch is so weak it wont kick a ball up into the shooter slot! I went to the settings and maxed it out at 32 and it still keeps trying but wont kick a ball up to the shooter. I keeps trying and trying but when i watch it the ball just goes halfway up and then falls down. Coil pushing enough power. Everything is tight and plugged around the area. Solder looks good and connected, but im a n00b so i have no idea really
Edit sorry posted this in a different forum accidentally placed it here for better visibility.

You might have to remove the apron and bend the metal bounce tab either up or down a little to get better reflection from the trough kicker. As well as manipulate the coil settings, lower is sometimes better as the ball wont bounce off the top metal tab as much and roll back into the trough.

Bending the upper tab is the correct/approved way to adjust the trough kick out.

There is a WOZ thread about this somewhere in the forums.
Once the ball bounces off the metal tab correctly the problem will be solved.

#2041 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Bending the upper tab is the correct/approved way to adjust the trough kick out.

He posted ball only makes it half way up.

If it hits the flap and goes back down, this will help :

http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

#2042 7 years ago

Was surprised, with all the control they now have over the lighting, that as Smaug breathes fire, as multi-ball starts, that they didn't program the inserts to all go red!! Would be a small but neat feature.

#2043 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Was surprised, with all the control they now have over the lighting, that as Smaug breathes fire, as multi-ball starts, that they didn't program the inserts to all go red!! Would be a small but neat feature.

There is some cool orange to red effects as the mode starts. But yea a total red wipe across the playfield as he shoots fire would be cool.

I honestly think that little touches like that are still in store for us.

#2044 7 years ago
Quoted from fordtudoor:

Don't think you're the Lone Ranger. I ordered Dec. 13, 2012, and I haven't even been told that it has been released for production. I don't need it right now so the delay just means I get one with all the bugs ironed out...hopefully.

What rhyme or reason is there to how pre-ordered games are prioritirized for shipping? I have a direct JJP order date of 1/13/13. It seems like deliveries based on order date are all over the place. If that is truly the case what is the point of a pre-order system?

#2045 7 years ago

Cancel your pre-order and buy from automated. You'll have the pin in three days.

#2046 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

He posted ball only makes it half way up.
If it hits the flap and goes back down, this will help :
http://www.pinplay.com/5/adjusting_the_ball_trough_on_woz.html

Its like the coil doesnt have enough power to push the ball up. Its not hitting the ball very hard at all. Seems smooth, nothing impeding it, just that its punching at like half the power that it should be but the coil settings dont seem to make a difference if i raise or lower them even

#2047 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

Its like the coil doesnt have enough power to push the ball up

How's the solder joint on the lug to the rear of the game ? Front one looks good in your picture.

Please try this - Tape a couple coins on top of the rubber coil stop to raise the plunger up into the coil a little - see if that helps.

#2048 7 years ago

Heres the other photos. Let me know if thats not the right picture as you said to the rear of the game. Wasnt sure if you just meant the left solder or a whole other spot on the machine. The last photo was were i put the coins which i hope is where you asked haha. Not sure if this is the right spot either as it didnt make any difference from what i can see. Coils still behaving the same. Sorry my knowledge is still basic at the moment. Direct me anywhere else photos or tests might be required.

Thanks for the help its extremely appricated as id be lost.

20160925_000401 (resized).jpg20160925_000401 (resized).jpg

20160925_000339 (resized).jpg20160925_000339 (resized).jpg

20160925_000731 (resized).jpg20160925_000731 (resized).jpg

#2049 7 years ago
Quoted from FlipMyBalls:

Thanks for the help its extremely appricated as id be lost.

Solder joint looks good. You can remove the quarters, it appears plunger isn't getting enough power.

A big job but please put the full install 1.01 back in ( instructions in the rear of the manual ) which you can download here if you need it :

http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/ and see if things improve, and then try a new download of 1.31

Maybe your update had an issue ?

#2050 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Solder joint looks good. You can remove the quarters, it appears plunger isn't getting enough power.
A big job but please put the full install 1.01 back in ( instructions in the rear of the manual ) which you can download here if you need it :
http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/game-specific-downloads/the-hobbit-downloads/ and see if things improve, and then try a new download of 1.31
Maybe your update had an issue ?

I kind of thinking of this since its one of the few things i could try and then at least i could pinpoint that software was or wasnt the issue. Will take this on tomorrow and keep you posted. Thanks again for the help

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield Township, MI
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 41 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/41 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.