20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 259.
#751 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

When I play on mine at home, the first thing I've noticed is how hard it is to get extra balls. I have about 10 games over 1.2 million and have only earned an extra ball on one game. Am I missing something? I have my extra ball settings on 4, which I believe is default. Other than that, only 3 ball games.

Extra balls aren't handed out, that's for sure. You have to concentrate on the things that light extra balls (getting all mode qualifiers lit, kicking over barrels).

#752 7 years ago

I heard Lance Armstrong was playing TH at a local barcade and was trying real hard to get an Extra Ball, but he had a difficult time and just gave up. In fact when he started Smaug multiball, only one ball came out

#753 7 years ago

Anyone want to explain the mode qualifiers? I know the ELF, MAN, DWARF, Gandalf, Radagast, and Bilbo qualify most of them. However, I don't believe that's all of them. I do remember Keith mentioning something with combining some of these in order to light some. Do they carry over from ball to ball?

#754 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballer0415:

Anyone want to explain the mode qualifiers? I know the ELF, MAN, DWARF, Gandalf, Radagast, and Bilbo qualify most of them. However, I don't believe that's all of them. I do remember Keith mentioning something with combining some of these in order to light some. Do they carry over from ball to ball?

My understanding is that they don't carry over, and I don't think order matters on the qualifiers - but I am not sure about that.

#755 7 years ago

Played my first game on 1.21 this morning. Just wow! This game keeps getting better and better. I got "Into the Fire" and its such a cool mode. Hats off to Keith and the crew for another great update, thank you!

I wonder how unlocking the other two movie multiballs, "Barrel Escape" and "Battle of the Five Armies", will work? Will players have to start Smaug multiball again, super spinner, Beast Frenzy, etc? I'm hoping that some of the requirements are changed up for those two.

#756 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wonder how unlocking the other two movie multiballs, "Barrel Escape" and "Battle of the Five Armies", will work? Will players have to start Smaug multiball again, super spinner, Beast Frenzy, etc? I'm hoping that some of the requirements are changed up for those two.

Yes I'm pretty sure you will. Only need to complete 1 mode and enter the other 4 modes so doesnt seem too bad.

I real question is if you don't complete into the fire will you get to play the other 2 or is it mandatory that you finish.

#757 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Yes I'm pretty sure you will. Only need to complete 1 mode and enter the other 4 modes so doesnt seem too bad.
I real question is if you don't complete into the fire will you get to play the other 2 or is it mandatory that you finish.

I'll guess you get to play the next one even without completing it. It would be nice to have an option to select which of the 3 movie multiballs you want to play / replay as they are unlocked.

For the games final wizard mode I'm sure everything will need to be completed.

#758 7 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

My understanding is that they don't carry over, and I don't think order matters on the qualifiers - but I am not sure about that.

Yes, they do carry over ball to ball. Order doesn't matter. Some modes require multiple qualifiers. For example, Flies and Spiders requires DWARF and Bilbo I believe. Depends on who is IN the mode.

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I'll guess you get to play the next one even without completing it. It would be nice to have an option to select which of the 3 movie multiballs you want to play / replay as they are unlocked.
For the games final wizard mode I'm sure everything will need to be completed.

Keith has said the Arkenstone modes must be played in order, unlike the main modes. As for advancing to the next without completing the first...not sure on that. Hopefully.

#759 7 years ago

My light behind the backglass on Hobbit has never worked. It has a bend in the wire right at the light causing a short. tracing it back to the plug and replugging does nothing. Can anyone advise what to order on amazon for a replacement light? I have sent a repair request to jersey jack but they never responded. If its inexpensive I will just buy it on amazon and replace myself. I just want to be sure I order the right thing. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#760 7 years ago

Call JJP directly...

#761 7 years ago

Into the Fire™...OMG !!!! (screamed like a little girl...)

#762 7 years ago

Isn't that an old Dokken song?

#763 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Isn't that an old Dokken song?

ROCKIN' with Dokken !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DO YOU WANNA ROCK ! DO YOU WANNA ROOOOOOOOOOOCK ! (yelled with a slightly inebriated British accent......)

#764 7 years ago

Or Thirteen Senses...

Dokken seems more fitting somehow...

#765 7 years ago

Game was set on five ball, but wanted to post score anyways. Defeated into the fire and defeated smug mb. Multiballs were crazy fun. I was near 1.1M after ball three. Thinking this might be my only chance at glory, I kept playing.

AC repairman rang doorbell during my last ball and he had to wait seven minutes for me to end ball and answer door.

I was a worried about low scoring in 1.10 code, as you couldn't regularly crack 1M. Was hoping once main modes went in, you'd see rapidly growing scores. With into the fire being the first one in, my scores went up a good bit already and it was very fun playing. So now I am sure that once other modes are added in, the game will only get better. I think it is pretty darn good already.

20160620_133510_(resized).jpg20160620_133510_(resized).jpg

#766 7 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Game was set on five ball, but wanted to post score anyways. Defeated into the fire and defeated smug mb. Multiballs were crazy fun. I was near 1.1M after ball three. Thinking this might be my only chance at glory, I kept playing.
AC repairman rang doorbell during my last ball and he had to wait seven minutes for me to end ball and answer door.
I was a worried about low scoring in 1.10 code, as you couldn't regularly crack 1M. Was hoping once main modes went in, you'd see rapidly growing scores. With into the fire being the first one in, my scores went up a good bit already and it was very fun playing. So now I am sure that once other modes are added in, the game will only get better. I think it is pretty darn good already.

How do you defeat Smaug™ and Into the Fire™ ?

I got got 4 Smaug™ multiballs and Into the Fire™ twice last night in a single game ! Posted a respectable 2.6mil....

#767 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

How do you defeat Smaug™ and Into the Fire™ ?
I got got 4 Smaug™ multiballs and Into the Fire™ twice last night in a single game ! Posted a respectable 2.6mil....

You do all the tasks...there are ends to them and victory laps.

#768 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

You do all the tasks...there are ends to them and victory laps.

I see !

Has anyone posted a list of things to do in the multiball in order to complete it? (I might have missed it...)

#769 7 years ago

I see !
Has anyone posted a list of things to do in the multiball in order to complete it? (I might have missed it...)

Rulesheet is work in progress. Latest located at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-rulesheet#post-3178524

Always happy to have help.

Specific to Smaug Multiball I currently have the following (and it is known to be incomplete (in particular the details of level 4):

During Smaug Multiball you must progress through 4 levels per the below. If you fail to complete this your progress is saved and you will start your next Smaug Multiball where you left off.

Level 1: Your goal is to score 6 jackpots to then a super jackpot. Ramps score 1x Jackpots, Holes score 2x Jackpots, Loops score 3x Jackpots. Jackpot starts at 1000 and increases either based upon switch hits or time or both. Super Jackpot starts at 5000 and increases with each jackpot collected. The increase are 500 for ramp shots, 1000 for hole shots, or 1500 for loop shots. The Super Jackpot is lit as a blue target at the captive ball or the standup targets behind ARF drop targets , or ???)

Level 2: Same as above except Ramps are 2x, Holes are 3x, and Loops are 4x

Level 3: Same as above except Ramps are 3x, Holes are 4x, and Loops are 5x

Level 4: Same as above except Shots (ramps, holes, loops) are 2x and MAN targets are 3x and after hitting MAN targets Smaug is 4x and a DWARF stands up which you must hit to Kill Smaug? After that the Right Ramp is lit. After that ???

Then ...

#770 7 years ago

Damn that is a lot to have to do. I remember the old time mutiballs... they had really only one rule "keep balls in play". lol

#771 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Damn that is a lot to have to do. I remember the old time mutiballs... they had really only one rule "keep balls in play". lol

Yes, Smaug™ is a dragon, very tough to kill

#773 7 years ago
Quoted from Twilliams:

I have sent a repair request to jersey jack but they never responded. !

been hearing a lot of this lately seems like the JJP repair tag thing needs some attention

#774 7 years ago

Yes, Smaug™ is a dragon, very tough to kill

go for the missing scale! lol

#775 7 years ago
Quoted from Twilliams:

I have sent a repair request to jersey jack

Please let me know the ticket number.

LTG : )

#776 7 years ago

Lloyd, in my experience with Frank, who is great BTW, the only way to get things done is by calling directly. When you talk with Frank he is very responsive but otherwise it is a wasteland. Sounds like that is the common experience. Perhaps JJP needs someone to help Frank on a full time basis in-house. You'd know better than me but that is what it seems like.

#777 7 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

After that the Right Ramp is lit. After that ???
Then ...

You hit the ramp. It loads the ball in the winlance. You hit the ring button. It fires the ball into the right orbit Spinner. It will dribble out and you have one shot to hit the smaug drops from the upper right flipper.

I've seen a lot of footage where the ball do not go in the orbit!! Can't finish the mode in that case. I'm guessing the strength of coil needs to be adjusted for the angle of the PF.
B9 has his set up right

#778 7 years ago

I am joining the club with an LE. It should be here in 2 weeks!!!!

#779 7 years ago

Welcome noncreditdot! It's fun ! Stacking the multiballs is a blast. Into the fire is amazing

#780 7 years ago

Been told my TH is currently in the testing phase! Woohoo!

#781 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Been told my TH is currently in the testing phase! Woohoo!

What was your order date?

#782 7 years ago

Ordered from a distributor's initial lot. Back in Oct/Nov '14. Don't recall when I actually sent payment nor do I know when the distributor placed their initial order with JJP...

Ends up being a about 19-20 months.

#783 7 years ago

Looks like I'm going this Friday to get the game!

Stoked!

Now, how exactly to get that bastage in the house?!! I'll be getting an appliance dolly tomorrow!

#784 7 years ago
Quoted from dtowndobe:

Looks like I'm going this Friday to get the game!
Stoked!
Now, how exactly to get that bastage in the house?!! I'll be getting an appliance dolly tomorrow!

Have fun with that!

I had to take the head off and playfield out to get mine in my gameroom. Luckily it comes apart easily!

#785 7 years ago

Luckily, I suppose, TH will have a temporary spot in our front room, about 5ft from the front door. Unload it from the truck bed, then use the dolly to get it into the house - one step, then another half step over the door threshold - set up shall commence!! Won't get moved into our basement until I'm done with some renovations. I envision a delay in the renovation schedule due to the new acquisition!!! Vicious circle!

#786 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

You hit the ramp. It loads the ball in the winlance. You hit the ring button. It fires the ball into the right orbit Spinner. It will dribble out and you have one shot to hit the smaug drops from the upper right flipper.
I've seen a lot of footage where the ball do not go in the orbit!! Can't finish the mode in that case. I'm guessing the strength of coil needs to be adjusted for the angle of the PF.
B9 has his set up right

Can anybody chime on the proper coil setting?

Is this the mode that you have to time the ring button push based on the "strength level" of that visual bar graph on the display?

#787 7 years ago

how many of you have ordered the upgrade decals?

#788 7 years ago

Although I have never seen them in person, I ordered them on my LE at the recommendation of "txstargazer".

#789 7 years ago

My Hobbit SE arrives friday morning

#790 7 years ago

Well, I just joined the club. My LE ships out tomorrow.

#791 7 years ago

Does anyone have the directions to update the code? I'd like to install the latest on arrival.

#792 7 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Does anyone have the directions to update the code? I'd like to install the latest on arrival.

Go here - http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com:8081/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa/wa/FaqActions/ under frequently asked questions use pull down and click on programing/software - select delta update - do that.

#793 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Go here - http://support.jerseyjackpinball.com:8081/helpdesk/WebObjects/Helpdesk.woa/wa/FaqActions/ under frequently asked questions use pull down and click on programing/software - select delta update - do that.

Thanks

#794 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Can anybody chime on the proper coil setting?
Is this the mode that you have to time the ring button push based on the "strength level" of that visual bar graph on the display?

No, this isnt based on the strength level. This is just a "push the button" and it should magically go to the orbit. When I first got my game this was great. Since updating I've had to play around with the levels. Still cant get it correct. I did move my game a few times in between updates so I'm not suggesting the updates have anything to do with it.

I would guess the levels will be different on every game.

#795 7 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Download the file, and extract the file on your PC/Mac

Format a USB stick with fat32

Copy the directory "hobbit_update" to the USB stick

Plug it into the USB cable by the coin box.

Enter the game service menu and update the code.

Re-boot the game.

The game will not re-boot after the code update but will show the v1.21. I played a game after the update and at the end of the game both monitor screens went blank. After a re-boot everything was fine. So re-booting is a necessary step.

#796 7 years ago
Quoted from mikebetz42:

Download the file, and extract the file on your PC/Mac
Format a USB stick with fat32
Copy the directory "hobbit_update" to the USB stick
Plug it into the USB cable by the coin box.
Enter the game service menu and update the code.
Re-boot the game.
The game will not re-boot after the code update but will show the v1.21. I played a game after the update and at the end of the game both monitor screens went blank. After a re-boot everything was fine. So re-booting is a necessary step.

Rebooting is done automatically by the update and shouldn't need to be done manually.

#797 7 years ago
Quoted from bdaily1983:

No, this isnt based on the strength level. This is just a "push the button" and it should magically go to the orbit. When I first got my game this was great. Since updating I've had to play around with the levels. Still cant get it correct. I did move my game a few times in between updates so I'm not suggesting the updates have anything to do with it.
I would guess the levels will be different on every game.

Why is there a bar graph showing stronger at top, and weaker at the bottom if it's just a "push the button whenever you like" mode?

Is that for a different mode? I thought it was for an element of skill to time the push, kinda like controlling the plunge for the skill shots.

The ball never shoots anyplace useful when I push the ring button, so I don't really understand how it works.

#798 7 years ago

Anyone have advice for updating code from a Mac?

When I use Unetbootin the dialog box for selecting the destination folder does not give me any options (in order to select my thumb drive). The only option is "dev/disk4s1" whatever that is.

#799 7 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Why is there a bar graph showing stronger at top, and weaker at the bottom if it's just a "push the button whenever you like" mode?
Is that for a different mode? I thought it was for an element of skill to time the push, kinda like controlling the plunge for the skill shots.
The ball never shoots anyplace useful when I push the ring button, so I don't really understand how it works.

Not in that mode. The mode Flashback is a good example. You are firing the huge arrow at Smaug like in the movie.

#800 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

When I use Unetbootin

Please don't use Unetbootin for delta updates. Only use that for a Full Install.

The current 1.21 update is a delta.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.