IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ericpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10387 2 years ago

Took me 3 years to find a Hobbit close to me here in so cal. I was a bridesmaid at least 10 times with games coming up for sale locally, always second or 3rd in line.
But finally nabbed one this week from great pinsider in san diego.
Black Arrow in the house!
Looking for the Gold ring action button and ring button plate by flipnout pinball. Only mod for now, the sticker on lockdown bar I just dont like.
Let me know if your hoarding extras and want to Sell.
So stoked to be in club.
Thanks
Eric

#10418 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Not just expert players. It can be deceptive for below average players too. I like it better without.

Center posts rarely help my game play, almost like it isn't there. But, I'll take the bounce back when it happens for a save any day.

#10423 2 years ago

Humm, lasserific topper unboxed. No instructions....also no remote.
Anyone install and guide me where to plug in?
I have a good hunch, just dont want to kill game.
I already have a splitter on for a back board and trough light. Can i just split again?

2 months later
#10544 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Wow, i guess i was sleeping.
I didnt get the barrel legs i wanted.

Sold out?

#10545 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Upper right side of thread - search this thread for Hobby King - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-hk15288a-analog-servo-bb-mg-9kg-0-20sec-51g.html
LTG : )

Thanks Lloyd. Post to help 1, helps many.

2 weeks later
#10574 2 years ago
Quoted from Leachdude:

Working on a hobbit issue. Just can not seem to find anything wrong. When In led test white all LED’s look pink. Anyone seen this issue or have any idea what could be wrong?
[quoted image]

Did you change code recently?

#10614 2 years ago

Your trully going on an Adventure when you hit the start button. Not many games have this.

1 week later
#10626 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

We discovered early on, as we are average at best players, that with the Hobbit you need a wingman. Someone reading the screens, listening to the callouts and watching the inserts, speaking from your shoulder and calling the shots and objectives during a long game can turn your game from a good one to a HS table great one.

I did that last night with my wife. She was 1 shot from "Into the Fire", pointed to it for her. She got it, then for several minutes walked her through the mod..., she died 1 shot from completion. She did great and got almost a million, sadly it was her last ball.

#10629 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

So the 2 inserts frantically blinking orange was not enough?

That's funny, you would think so. She had a multiball going and doesn't really know the rules yet. Regardless, she did better than me sat night.

2 months later
#10930 2 years ago
Quoted from SLRage:

Just had a 2.5 hour game and Still couldn’t get on my Scoreboard. Dang it
[quoted image][quoted image]

You should not have bought game from stevo.

8 months later
#11430 1 year ago
Quoted from abjr:

Any thoughts/ suggestions (besides not hitting the ball there) on how not to have the ball get stuck here? Happened during multiball so not sure exactly how it got stuck. Might be just a fluke but thought may have happened to others. Even when smag rotates during ball check it is not freed.
[quoted image]

Fluke airball. I've had a similar ball stuck. But further behind smaug.
Are your flippers set to high?

#11457 1 year ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

All set up and look prrrrrty! Look forward to getting some time on her soon (gotta fix the drop target springs first - they’re on the way).
I’m surprised by how much this machine towers over Alien LV. I was also surprised about how much of a tank this thing is!
[quoted image]

I call mine, "My Precious".

1 month later
#11521 1 year ago
Quoted from RhettDR:

Thanks.... but that one isn't coming up in the online search.

Thats pretty common with JJP parts.
You have to call direct to order most stuff.

6 months later
#11841 1 year ago
Quoted from BackAlleyMatt:

Hey everyone...we just release our first mod of an event we are calling The 7 Days of Texas leading up to the Texas Pinball Festival. I am posting here because it is a mod for your favorite game...The Hobbit. See it here :
https://backalleycreations.com/collections/the-hobbit-pinball-mods/products/the-hobbit-replacement-apron-with-lcd-mod

Awesome. I'm in!

#11856 1 year ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

Has any any one had to take a side rail off their Hobbit? Is it easy to do? How do you go about it without wrecking it?

Pretty easy, glass off, 2 small bolts.

1 week later
#11860 1 year ago
Quoted from wolv3:

The link doesn't work for me. How much will it be?

Matt had to pause this mod .
It will be back and live in a few weeks.

3 weeks later
#11876 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Does anyone have/know where I could get a mod to make the book screen look better? Would love to have something to cover the metal bar.

Little shop of games; art of lior/ pinball product's.

#11898 1 year ago

Looking for a full set of wire forms if you have them lying around in a box.
Pm me.
Thanks
Eric

1 month later
#12014 10 months ago

My playfield display went extremely pink in color. I've reseated cable at both ends, no luck.
At start up I get solid colors as it boots. But once fully booted still getting bad color.
Any ideas what to check next?

20230523_180044 (resized).jpg20230523_180044 (resized).jpg20230523_180053 (resized).jpg20230523_180053 (resized).jpg20230523_180059 (resized).jpg20230523_180059 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#12149 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I was looking for a more condensed version rather than a 250 page book.

I get it. We've all been there. BUT.
Every 4 or 5 pages someone asks the same question. It's complicated. The list is rather long.
Personally, you want a Black Arrow. These were the last and most refined versions of Hobbit.
BA had all the updates and fixes over prior versions. However, things still can go wrong.
Buy local, go and play it. Make sure beast mechs are working good. If not, there not hard to fix.
Good luck in search. And sadly, your wallet will take a Ding.

1 week later
#12201 9 months ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Also, if you have any questions feel free to pm me or email Matt at Back Alley Creations...thanks so much!

Curious. Did you help work on this project?

#12203 9 months ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I did…I work with Matt on a lot of his projects.

Awesome! Looks great. Ordered.

#12237 9 months ago
Quoted from Ecw0930:

I added a Polk psw10 as well and Smaug shakes everything. It's so badass! I got a steal of a deal on 2 of them so I hooked the other up to my GnR SE and that rocks as well!
But Smaug really REALLY kills it with the subwoofer! Even a cheapy one. Just do it. You have to!

You all got me wanting this sub. I have a spare but I guess I need and rca splitter on top plug?

#12274 9 months ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Isn't another difference between LE and Smaug LE is the attract mode. Doesn't Smaug have extra video in the attract mode?

Black Arrow has different attract mode clips as well.

2 weeks later
#12351 8 months ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

What other mods/upgrades should I consider. Likely going to get a set of Pin Stadium lights, but I am sure there are other options that are pretty cool.

I have a Black Arrow and no pinstadiums needed. Game is pretty bright as is. I've even considered removing the lower spot lights.

#12378 8 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

With only 1950 units made they scratched the topper.

Correct, No official JJP topper for Hobbit.
Lior was going to make one. Then to many games came out and he moved his focus onto other projects.

#12380 8 months ago

Isn't it?
1500 LE
1000 Smaug
750 Black Arrow
STANDARD Edition- Unknown amount Chrome base model.

#12382 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah. IMO that sounds right, 1950 seems way too low...

Threw out a few texts to fellow owners.
Updated my post above.
1500 LE
So, it probably close to 4000 units with the standard edition.

#12389 8 months ago
Quoted from freddy:

300 standard
750 Smaug
700 Le
150 BA
So 1900 total

Sorry- That can't be right.
I am taking this from edition numbers on all plaques.
Now, did they make that many???
The LE sold out so they did a Smaug edition.
Then it sold out and they did a Black Arrow. The Black Arrows did sit available for a few years. But, by 2018 they were sold out.

#12398 8 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

There isn't an easiest way.
Take trap door off top of playfield, 2 clips 2 springs, have spares for when you lose them. I put a magnet nearby to catch them if/when they take off.
Under playfield disconnect connectors, 5 screws, lower the whole assembly.
Now the fun begins. Take the assembly apart until you can get at the back of the character face. Remove two screws, swap character face. Then reassemble. Then spend the next hour or two getting the whole shebang to go up and down smoothly. Lots of loosening, adjusting, tightening. I found that holding the whole frame,screws lightly loose, squeeze frame together from all four sides, then tighten the screws sometimes works best.
Stick it back in the game in reverse order you took it out in.
Only three more to go.
LTG : )

I've had these for a year, procrastinating, in fear of what you just described.

1 week later
#12423 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Installed the decal set, very nice but I'm unsure where these goes?? I'm assuming the 3 red decals are altered ones and the square blue one is for the captive ball target but the others????
[quoted image]

The other blue round on your sheet was originally for the captive ball. We all failed to let flashinstinct know this during development. So if you have a round captive or square captive your covered now. My captive is square so I put the extra round on that hidden target that was also not discussed in development. (Right outline by apron). The red ones on sheet are alternates for the dwarf targets. I personally went with the red ones and keeping the yellows as back up. Those last 2 ramp tattoos(decals) are for the inside of the left and right ramp. Even opto cutout to help.

#12429 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Awesome.
Thanks.
Yeah does that target in the out lane do anything?

Quoted from KingBW:

If the ball hits the target in the out lane during a multiball, you will get a ball save on default settings.

My favorite ball save in pinball with awesome visual.
I'd swear I've gotten with just 1 ball going. Maybe I earned it?

#12430 8 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I was surprised there was no sticker for the other spinner. Have you considered adding one?
[quoted image]

I thought about that to. But mine has a cable on it. Could move cable a little maybe.

2 weeks later
#12475 7 months ago

Thanks to Matt and Aaron for a great product!

20230716_211710 (resized).jpg20230716_211710 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#12502 7 months ago
Quoted from docdeath:

Make your own topper with Hobbit Figures purchased from BIGBADTOYSTORE or Amazon. You can even try eBay. My topper Smaug (photos 1 & 2) was purchased from BBTS for $249. It is ceramic & a little heavy. It's been out of production for years. A nice available Smaug is the Hobbit Mini Epics Smaug made of vinyl (photo 3). It is 11.8 inches high and sells for $190.75 on Amazon ($199.99 on BBTS). You can attach figures to top of backbox with Velcro or double sided adhesive tape (I use the Gorilla brand). I would also recommend the purchase of two low voltage (10v or 12v) spotlights to high light Smaug. For my topper, I also added Gollum & Sméagol, each with a gold ring on the finger. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love your Hobbit corner! Nice stuff.
I was a projectionist in the 90's and my esticits think you need a movie poster on that blank wall.
I'm also an art director so don't take my comment personally.
I just go over the top on everything.

5 months later
#12793 64 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

This is a first for me, never got a ball wedged between the glass and apron before. It then fell down into the cabinet abyss so will be spending some time there.
[quoted image]

A Ball actually fits between glass and apron?
Interesting, B/W had that solved in the 90's.

2 weeks later
#12897 45 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Yeah, I never had an issue with how the flippers feel, just hate how they get tired and weak in long games. Was trying to figure out if the fans keep them consistent. Thanks

This is what the fans solve. Flipper fade on long games.

#12902 45 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

What fans did you go with, and from where? Thanks again

Quoted from pinballinreno:

I bought these:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1391-ravspec/06825-extended-play-coil-coolers-jjp-the-hobbit
EXTREMELY easy to install and work well.
Im very happy with them.
None of the regular FADE on my longer games

I went with these same fans from pinside.

1 month later
#12991 10 days ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

My Diverter plastic from the left Rampe broke, anyone know where to get a replacement. Or maybe someone have a 3d printfile for this ?
Thanks

I need one of those too!
I haven't found one yet and it's been a year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods

$ 25.50
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ericpinballfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=ericpinballfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.