20240302_120255 (resized).jpg
IMG_2727 (resized).jpeg
20240229_193835 (resized).jpg
IMG_2566 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2565 (resized).jpeg
20240218_004618 (resized).jpg
20240218_004645 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 259.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I could not get it. I guess to busy.

A little bit of a locational problem. He's in Chicago. Factory in jersey

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

A little bit of a locational problem. He's in Chicago. Factory in jersey

Exactly.

#103 7 years ago

Wonder if Clif is working on a cliffy for the vuk's. The game could surely use them. Think he needs a play field for measurement (?).

#104 7 years ago

My Hobbit has landed. Pics and reviews tomorrow. Time to drink beer and play.

#105 7 years ago

I posted this on another thread, but it seems better placed here:

Hi All !
Just got my SE on Monday afternoon serial ending in 073. Smaug is still spelled smuag on the box stamp.
First off I want to thank Jack and Team at JJP for an amazing and beautiful game, there is really nothing like the look, quality and feel of these games.
The box was crushed and "popped" at the top, looks like someone strapped it too tightly near the top and it broke the packing tape.
I was a bit worried about water damage due to it shipped all the way to Reno during the rain and snow last week in the Midwest.
The driver from R&L was wonderfully helpful and patient, he suggested I inspect everything while he waited, so I did.
The open box let a lot of dust inside but otherwise no damage at all, the packaging was superb.
Moving it to my game room seemed heavier than the WOZ!
Setup was easy, I set the angle to 7°, leveled left to right with a torpedo level, checked for anything loose or bent, excellent quality over-all.
Game booted right up everything except the spider pop-up worked perfectly under the tests.
The spider was rubbing on the left side of the wooden hole. It looks like it is not centered in the hole properly, but there is only about a 1/16th" of space to play with. I'm going to have to remove it and elongate the bracket holes a tiny bit to get it to center properly. Running a drill bit through and side cutting the holes slightly is a simple fix for this.
I have seen this exact problem on a couple of the videos, (spider wont pop up).
The USB cable end connector fit very loosely on my USB stick, and would not register it for a back-up of the settings (my WOZ fits tightly) I did not have a spare handy so I pulled the cable from my WOZ, did the back-up and installed version 1.01 code. (I'm sure I have a suitable cable laying around for a replacement later).

The flippers were a little weak on factory settings, I couldn't get up the right ramp easily with the right flipper. I set them up higher by 4.
This was way too hard and the ball moved so fast it would fly off the wireforms. I lowered the settings by 2 and it seems perfect, I could probably lower it by 1 more.
I played 10 games and once the ball trough failed to deliver a ball so I increased its strength by 1 only. I also increased the right VUK by 1 only.
I also increased the upper left sling by 2 ( I think this one is just a matter of taste).
Gameplay:
Let me say that the comments on being slow or floaty do not apply to this game at all.
My game is fast and crisp playing and FUN!
The pop-up monsters are amazing and FUN! The game is easy for the novice and deeply challenging for the experts!
To compare it to the WOZ is just impossible, they are 2 different and distinct accomplishments from JJP.

Again, this game is a winner hands down and will be a permanent fixture on my collection for years to come.

#106 7 years ago

Best score I can do so far.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#107 7 years ago

got both the Hobbit LE and Smaug # 10's the other day and I want to say I am a bit disappointed of JJP quality control. Smaug was okay...but the LE has all kind of issues

1. the start button dies not work...it cam loose ...easy fix.
2. Sticker back of box is all messed up and just needs new one. It was so bad. I was just better peeling it off. but will wait to put on new one.
3. Side panels are all marked up and chipped. Plan on putting on side mirrors so that will cover that up but Will contact JJP to make them aware of chips / marks.
4. It plays but none of the lights work on the playfield. .. Can someone help me on what that could be?
5. Plunger is bad and does not work...very weak...I can't even get it out of the channel unless I hit the plunger forward hard.

I am going to call them on Monday to address some of these and I am sure they will make it right and I know it is pinball and there is always times that you are going to have issues right out of the box.....But the chips and some other the simple things....COME ON JJP....LET'S not loose sight of what got u there to where u are and that is your customers.

To me it's worth the money. ....I just hope they don't loose sight of making it great and catching those things before you box it up and ship it out. Some of those things should have been caught before it left the factory.

20160423_165101_(resized).jpg20160423_165101_(resized).jpg
20160423_165017_(resized).jpg20160423_165017_(resized).jpg
20160423_165008_(resized).jpg20160423_165008_(resized).jpg
20160423_165031_(resized).jpg20160423_165031_(resized).jpg

#108 7 years ago

Don't settle. I agree 100%. QC needs to be addressed.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

It plays but none of the lights work on the playfield. .. Can someone help me on what that could be?

The LEDs plug into boards fastened to the bottom of the playfield, start there and be sure connectors are on tight. Then look carefully around the rear of the metal box with all the boards, behind it and along side. Something came unplugged.

LTG : )

#110 7 years ago

Back of the head is a sticker? I don't get it or the photo...?

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from JoeJet:

Back of the head is a sticker? I don't get it or the photo...?

The yellow words are on a big black sticker, not silk screened directly to the wood.

#112 7 years ago

Just another cheap way ...What was bad was the sticker for the Limited Editions. Really....They could not do a plaque of some kind or something. Nope....They put in a cheap sticker for your Limited Edition. That was bullshit. Come on JJP....you are slipping. But I guess it was not peeling off...so that is some good news.

#113 7 years ago

I don't understand what the issue is with putting a sticker on the back of the machine?

#114 7 years ago

Just another cheap way

No. And way easier to replace later if the back gets scratched or something.

#115 7 years ago

It's not the sticker on the back...Even though that will get fixed by them. I am sure and positive they will send me another one....very easy fix.

It's the Sticker for plaque. It's a sticker. They could have done something way nicer. I don't even really feel that the a hobbit LE is a limited edition. I just like the theme and I know it's a great game. Just making a point that they need to pay attention. I got a great price because I got in early and I bought the other LE Version in Smaug. But i know all can be fixed and I will just probably make my own. I like JJP and I have been a true fan of his machines. But I have just noticed some times that I would consider cutting corners. They are better than that. ...But time will tell.

#116 7 years ago

got both the Hobbit LE and Smaug # 10's the other day and I want to say I am a bit disappointed of JJP quality control. Smaug was okay...but the LE has all kind of issues
1. the start button dies not work...it cam loose ...easy fix.
2. Sticker back of box is all messed up and just needs new one. It was so bad. I was just better peeling it off. but will wait to put on new one.
3. Side panels are all marked up and chipped. Plan on putting on side mirrors so that will cover that up but Will contact JJP to make them aware of chips / marks.
4. It plays but none of the lights work on the playfield. .. Can someone help me on what that could be?
5. Plunger is bad and does not work...very weak...I can't even get it out of the channel unless I hit the plunger forward hard.
I am going to call them on Monday to address some of these and I am sure they will make it right and I know it is pinball and there is always times that you are going to have issues right out of the box.....But the chips and some other the simple things....COME ON JJP....LET'S not loose sight of what got u there to where u are and that is your customers.
To me it's worth the money. ....I just hope they don't loose sight of making it great and catching those things before you box it up and ship it out. Some of those things should have been caught before it left the factory.
20160423_165101_(resized).jpg
20160423_165017_(resized).jpg
20160423_165008_(resized).jpg
20160423_165031_(resized).jpg

Thats horrible, where is there quality control???? I know they are probably in a hurry to get games out the door but this is just ludacris. I hope he atleast makes it right.

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

Thats horrible, where is there quality control???? I know they are probably in a hurry to get games out the door but this is just ludacris. I hope he atleast makes it right.

I would rather my backbox sticker come off in lieu of Sterns backbox decals.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I would rather my backbox sticker come off in lieu of Sterns backbox decals.

Did you give a review of the game Skyemont? Want to see what your thoughts are.

#119 7 years ago

Just another cheap way ...What was bad was the sticker for the Limited Editions. Really....They could not do a plaque of some kind or something. Nope....They put in a cheap sticker for your Limited Edition. That was bullshit. Come on JJP....you are slipping. But I guess it was not peeling off...so that is some good news.

Even as a JJP fan I agree with that. Its bad enough Stern puts a tiny metal plaque on LE's that you can barely see but a sticker is worse.

Every JJP LE and SE should come with a wood apron with a cool plaque mounted on it like on WOZ ECLE. JJP should have made that a staple for all of their LE and SE games.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Even as a JJP fan I agree with that. Its bad enough Stern puts a tiny metal plaque on LE's that you can barely see but a sticker is worse.
Every JJP LE and SE should come with a wood apron with a cool plaque mounted on it like on WOZ ECLE. JJP should have made that a staple for all of their LE and SE games.

Totally agree.... shouldn't be taking a step back from the standards that were set... won't mention topper...

#121 7 years ago

Nothing is free. JJP can add all of these little things (real plaque, wood apron, etc) and they can send people out to adjust new games that have issues (e.g. I spent 8k on a game and it should be perfect....) but all of that is going to cost and that means JJP may not be profitable or it will drive the price of games up.

I want good games at a reasonable price. I don't want to pay more for things like a plaque or a wood apron or service calls.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

Nothing is free. JJP can add all of these little things (real plaque, wood apron, etc) and they can send people out to adjust new games that have issues (e.g. I spent 8k on a game and it should be perfect....) but all of that is going to cost and that means JJP may not be profitable or it will drive the price of games up.
I want good games at a reasonable price. I don't want to pay more for things like a plaque or a wood apron or service calls.

I think paying $8000 for a game is far from "reasonable" for most people. I'm in on a THSE and I really hope my game doesn't come from the factory with a lot of issues. That is totally unacceptable!

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

I think paying $8000 for a game is far from "reasonable" for most people. I'm in on a THSE and I really hope my game doesn't come from the factory with a lot of issues. That is totally unacceptable!

True it is not cheap but I don't want to see it get even higher. I guess what is worrying me is that it seems like the increased popularity of pinball has led to growth in the number of people expecting a plug and play experience. I fully expect that I will need to do a fair bit of adjusting to get things right and I don't think that is unreasonable. I also don't want to pay even more for little things that frankly I don't care much about. I'm just worried that meeting plug and play expectations and providing all of these little things will just make things cost even more.

#124 7 years ago

Wish the wooden Apron with plaque was offered as an extra $$$ add on at least!!! Whats a few more hundred when your already over $9k for TH SE Smaug with RAD-CALS... Still can't wait to get mine to set next to my WOZECLE!

#125 7 years ago

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm doing so poorly on TH that I just set it to 5 ball. At least I'll see more of what the game has to offer that way.

#126 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm doing so poorly on TH that I just set it to 5 ball. At least I'll see more of what the game has to offer that way.

LOL. What's your high score. I just played and got 890,000

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

LOL. What's your high score. I just played and got 890,000

390,000 on 3 ball, but most of them are much lower.

#128 7 years ago

Wanted to let eveyone know that JJP and Frank were very helpful on the issues -- I am sure that I will get another Inviglass that was scratch and they are going to send me another sticker for the Smaug and Frank gave me two things to check on in regards to the lights not coming on in the Hobbit LE. I still have the issues with the wood being marked up -- But I got a fix and they were helpful to help make up for that and were quick and very concern with the issues. Jen was very understanding and thought it was more of an issue with it being shipped but I assured her that I can see about the wiring and controls coming loose -- but not the sticker or the marks on the wood -- Those should have been caught prior to shipment -- Bottom line -- They are going to make it right. I will put on mirror blades on all 4 games and I am sure that will compensate for one set of blades and my Pinball Tech is coming out to fix the other items that need to be tweaked. Thanks to everyone for your comments.

I do have one other issue - But I am going to research it on this site to see if it was asked before in regards to the ball getting stuck on the left side as it goes up the ramp and to the left and past the dragon and it gets stuck right there past the dragon and gets hung up inside that Green Box enclosure that is in the upper left part of the playfield -- If Anyone has had this happen - Please let me know -- It happens ALOT ...ALOT on mine and I have to move the glass down a few inches and pop it thru....JUST ANNOYING. Thanks for any comments on how to fix that. I think Frank is researching it for me -- But I thought I would ask here. Thanks

#129 7 years ago

There should be no hang up point there. What is your pitch? There is a diverter on that side which you can check in settings to make sure its firing properly.

#130 7 years ago

What about the drop targets gears -- SEEMS LOUD when it is like resetting -- Any suggestions on that or is that something I have to live with?

#131 7 years ago

What about the drop targets gears -- SEEMS LOUD when it is like resetting -- Any suggestions on that or is that something I have to live with?

from all the ones that i have heard, that is normal. there are 11 coils that are all powering up in a relatively quick amount of time.

#132 7 years ago

Opening up my new Hobbit today and first thing I'm greeted with.
Why are they not screening the backs? The one we got a month ago was screened.

IMAG1378_(resized).jpgIMAG1378_(resized).jpg

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

That is bad! JJP needs to sort this.

#134 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

IMAG1378_(resized).jpg

The decal sucks-you would think it would at least cover the whole backbox! If its going to look like that, I'd rather not have it at all.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

IMAG1378_(resized).jpg

wait until you get the game open though. It is probably the prettiest game I have seen yet. Even though programming is not finished so gameplay has yet to be determined, the sheer beauty of the thing was impressive.

#136 7 years ago

Put your own sticker on with no JJ signature? Poor show...

#137 7 years ago

Oh man, that sticker peeling off the back is not good. Just the idea that they put a sticker on there to begin with is bad enough. Making it so small seems weird too (as someone already said, it should cover the whole backbox). Then to have it peel off before the box is even open? Not good. I expect better than this for my nearly $9k after shipping.

#138 7 years ago

The only NIB pin I've bought was Star Trek Pro. Got bored of it quickly and sold it. I don't seem to remember anything at all on the back of the backbox. I remember it was metal though. Are JJP pins metal construction on the backbox?

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from craigj:

Are JJP pins metal construction on the backbox?

Wood.

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

If its going to look like that, I'd rather not have it at all.

well, some very light pulling and it would be right off easily - with no residue or anything.
Maybe I'll screen the back with a Williams/Bally screen.

And for the record, mine didn't come with a Jersey Jack signature. Just the date written in marker.

#141 7 years ago

Wouldn't screening it cost less than a sticker???

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

IMAG1378_(resized).jpg

That is strange...It looks like it was hit with a heat gun or pulled on...Hope this works out.

#143 7 years ago

I'm not sure what to think about this honestly. I've bought a dozen+ sterns NIB and can't even remember what the back of their backbox looks like.

#144 7 years ago

I think we can all agree that it looks like poor workmanship if nothing else.

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm not sure what to think about this honestly. I've bought a dozen+ sterns NIB and can't even remember what the back of their backbox looks like.

I couldn't remember what the back box looked like on my Stern's either so I stuck my phone behind my METLE and snapped a pic.. The screened lettering is not on the backbox its on the back of the cabinet.

image_(resized).pngimage_(resized).png

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I couldn't remember what the back box looked like on my Stern's either so I stuck my phone behind my METLE and snapped a pic.. The screened lettering is not on the backbox its on the back of the cabinet.
image_(resized).png

Yep, I think the backboxes are blank on Sterns. Not sure why JJP went the sticker route...it can't be much cheaper if at all. Who cares either way? It's the back.

It's similar to bitching about a dirty fingerprint on the bottom of the cab. Who cares?

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yep, I think the backboxes are blank on Sterns. Not sure why JJP went the sticker route...it can't be much cheaper if at all. Who cares either way? It's the back.
It's similar to bitching about a dirty fingerprint on the bottom of the cab. Who cares?

It's because these NIB games are now $8k+ and attention to detail / quality assurance is expected when dropping that type of dough on a pinball machine of all things.

I recall the late Steve Jobs making a comment on how he wanted to focus on the back of the iPhone just as much as the front of it. He was on to something in terms of caring about the look and feel of an entire product. Even though it's the back of the game WOZ and those Hobbits with screen printed backs + the Jersey Jack signature stand out more and exemplify a high quality product.

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It's because these NIB games are now $8k+ and attention to detail / quality assurance is expected when dropping that type of dough on a pinball machine of all things.
I recall the late Steve Jobs making a comment on how he wanted to focus on the back of the iPhone just as much as the front of it. He was on to something in terms of caring about the look and feel of an entire product. Even though it's the back of the game WOZ and those Hobbits with screen printed backs + the Jersey Jack signature stand out more and exemplify a high quality product.

Except JJP is still a start up...if you must cut somewhere that's where to do it.

#149 7 years ago

The "quality gap" between Stern and JJP keeps narrowing...

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

The "quality gap" between Stern and JJP keeps narrowing...

What do you base this on, pinside posts?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 25.50
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 12,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 259.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.