IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (7 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slrage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7367 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Damn straight. I always flip the pages to get to The One Ring. I will now have find a new approach. Thanks for the tip!
I put up a 3.4million game onetime and haven’t come within a million since. People asked how I did it and since I was about 5 beers deep I paid no attention to how I got there. All I knew is it took for freaking ever and was the most fun I have ever had on a pinball machine! I am thinking now I must have completed a high rated mode

7C1CF869-7FEC-4D65-B419-310751EFEA31 (resized).jpeg7C1CF869-7FEC-4D65-B419-310751EFEA31 (resized).jpeg
#7377 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Coming along great on this mod - it's become a more complicated model than I thought it would.
Added some color-matched terrain details and some pretty dramatic lighting that casts some good shadow effects and even illuminates the green on the playfield. The lighting taps into any standard 2-pin Molex 12v under the playfield. I'm currently tapping the upper right GI spotlight, so the lighting intensity varies during gameplay.
I was hoping someone that is still experiencing the opto switch problem could PM me. I'd like to send you one of my non-lighted protoypes to see if it solves the problem. I can't reproduce that error on my pin.
Pics attached here don't look as good as the real thing - man, is it hard to photograph LED lighting.[quoted image][quoted image]

Great Job!!

#7390 4 years ago

I went with the LE based on the bronze/black powder coating vs the gold or black. Personal preference.

3 weeks later
#7568 4 years ago

Wow that’s a great score none the less!

Quoted from CLEllison:

Gawd am I king of the chokers. Killed Smaug twice, played all 3 mini wizard modes. Got farthest I've ever been in battle of the five armies. Choke. Freaking cool ass how it winds down. Got to Barrel Escape 2nd time. Finally finished all 31 modes. White flashing gotta hit one of the two holes and I'd start TABA .... choke. SON OF A B.....
Still not a bad score but fOR A FREAKING hour and 45 minute game playing 3 ball but you'd think it'd be a hell of a lot higher.[quoted image]

9 months later
#8801 3 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

The hobbit isn't for everyone I guess, but when people say it is bad I am legit confused as hell. The game is great! Rules are great, music and call outs are a 10. Theme integration is one of the best, if not the best, in all of pinball. A real gem of a game.

I think confused is the right way to say it. I know a great, innovative and intense pinball machine when I play one. It really does take a lot of TLC and patience to get this machine 100% dialed in and properly maintained. That’s not going to happen on location so.....bad impressions abound!

1 month later
#8911 3 years ago

I agree. Very different games altogether. MMR is a less “serious” game imo. You can just play on location and have a good game. Hobbit is an adventure game and will take you on a long journey. Hobbit is a perfect home environment challenge but terrible on location.

Quoted from KingBW:

I just recently bought a MMR Royal which is really nice. Hobbit is much more "fun" in my opinion with the extensive amount of modes, super good code, and the theatrical genuine themed content. You need to give it about 20 pkays to see how good it is with a vast variety of modes and the 3 wizard modes. MMR Royal is really cool and we like it, but Hobbit is such a different kind of game. If you're in pinball primarily for competition and tournaments and that is your primary fun, then you might not like it because you are thinking down a different street. It can be a long physical workout battle that isn't repetitive (for the most part) and if that sounds like fun, this might be more down your alley. This is a good game for a home environment. Maybe not so at a public location. Just my 2 cents.

3 weeks later
#9074 3 years ago

I have had up to 3 hour games and never noticed any flipper fade

#9081 3 years ago
Quoted from wolv3:

That does not seem fun haha

Yeah there were a few breaks involved in all of these games but yeah I have had many 2 and half hour to 3 hour games. Crazy stuff but only on Hobbit

7 months later
#10316 2 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I do love the riddles in the dark mode...it's a really well done mode.

It is a very cool mode!

2 months later
#10510 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I just hate B.S. claims like it's floaty and plays terrible etc. because they don't know how to set up a table to play properly! If they don't like the game because of theme or art/sound or rules etc., fine... Then say that!

I agree with you . I have played this game is the wild though and gotta say if it’s not tuned in it does suck so……I’m sure that most people’s experience.

#10512 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

All pinball machines play poorly if not set up correctly.
All of them.

No doubt. The Hobbits I’ve played in the wild were set up to play too slow and gave the impression that the game played way too slow. Set it up right at home and this puppy sings!

#10514 2 years ago

I need to give Dialed In another chance. I tried to like it but just couldn’t connect with the theme.

1 week later
#10539 2 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty big difference .
I still bought the originals for $10.00 a pop though. I might be a tight ass but spending a lot on something that pops up quickly and I fling a high speed ball bearing at seemed a bit excessive.
That said….great job on the upgraded ones!!!!

3 weeks later
#10610 2 years ago

I’m at the ATL pinball show and I have told a few people that when I play my best on The Hobbit that I have a 2-3 hour game. They look at me like I’m crazy but I know I have the greatest Adventure game known to man so… I smile

Quoted from moat-pin:

I played a 2.5hr epic game last night. What an adVentcha. Second time ever TABA. This game is so incredible. My only problem is I don’t play it for weeks then boom I go head first and am fully immersed for an hour or two. In between I think about selling and then during I say it’s a forever keeper. Damn I wish I had more spots for pins.

2 months later
#10929 2 years ago

Just had a 2.5 hour game and Still couldn’t get on my Scoreboard. Dang it

0A243F33-DC64-41DA-84CE-6E6A52DBEDF6 (resized).jpeg0A243F33-DC64-41DA-84CE-6E6A52DBEDF6 (resized).jpeg40EB891C-0BC6-4F9C-B54E-4FD3672DB2A1 (resized).jpeg40EB891C-0BC6-4F9C-B54E-4FD3672DB2A1 (resized).jpeg
#10931 2 years ago

I Hear That….LOL

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

You should not have bought game from stevo.

8 months later
#11473 1 year ago

Yes

Quoted from teddyb73:

Maybe you fellas could answers question for me.
Does the LE come with a certificate from Jersey Jack stating what number you have like the Smaug Edition does?
Thanks.

3 months later
#11694 1 year ago

Yeah I wish I would have grabbed one of those as well

Quoted from konghusker:

That’s my guess, but little shop hasn’t responded to a couple emails I’ve sent. I’m assuming we’re too late, and it was probably more than I wanted to spend anyways. I really like the laseriffic one though. It’s officially licensed and looks like what jjp would’ve included factory

#11706 1 year ago

58 degrees to 78 degrees, depending on humidity levels may not consistent enough level to not have issues creep up

3 weeks later
#11749 1 year ago

As far as different editions. Pick your favorite graphics and powder coat and I agree the later runs are always the safest bets.

I have Hobbit and WOZ sitting side by side. The biggest similarities for me are that they are both long ball time games if you want to see the full code. WOZ is long but Hobbit can be really really long.

Hobbit is by far the deepest code I have ever played and imo is the most beautiful theme integration in all of pinball. The screen is gorgeous and basically plays all the highlights of the series.

Gameplay is heavy multiball but I love that in this particular game. The wizard modes are awesome and never get old and killing Smaug is like melting the witch but x10 in “cool factor.” Never gets old.

I rarely play both the Hobbit and WOZ both in the same night based on long game times but have a hard time picking a “favorite.” Win Win

Quoted from iamabearsfan:

Looking for a source for the various versions of the TH that were made (first to last). Pros/cons between the versions. Lastly anything to look out for. I am usually a guy that likes later in the run, than early number releases because I think the factory learns as they go along (usually). I have a WoZ LE that I am looking to ultimately trade because it simply isn't getting the play anymore. Any insight of the machine compared to a WoZ would be appreciated as well.
Hope you guys all had a great holiday!
Dave

3 months later
#11875 12 months ago

What improvements have you noticed? What code were you on before?

Quoted from ls1chris:

i just recently updated the code, didnt realize there was a new code as i have been playing gnr and ts4 a lot . what a different game with the new code!! so good!!

2 weeks later
#11912 11 months ago

Anyone else have the kill Smaug and then the game decides to not launch balls in the Vistory Lap multiball so you have to reset the game?? Happened to me around 3 times

IMG_4786 (resized).jpegIMG_4786 (resized).jpeg
#11935 11 months ago

Set it a couple of years ago when I only had 2 games and played it daily. Now I can’t get over 4.5mill

IMG_1392 (resized).jpegIMG_1392 (resized).jpeg
#11937 11 months ago

Man it was exhausting and yes I had several breaks. Total “experience” was over 2 hours. I have determined I’ll never get on my scoreboard again now since I have several games but I will always love The Hobbit and can’t see it ever leaving.

Quoted from Ecw0930:

Wow. Did you have to take a lunch break?! That's crazy! And awesome!
I've had it for 3 days and I'm at 2.8m. and that game was 20+ minutes long.

#11938 11 months ago

2,8mill in 3 days has to be a record though! Happy Flipping

Quoted from Ecw0930:

Wow. Did you have to take a lunch break?! That's crazy! And awesome!
I've had it for 3 days and I'm at 2.8m. and that game was 20+ minutes long.

#11948 11 months ago

Okay so my Hobbit won’t turn on this evening and just shows this screen. Any advice? TIA

IMG_4801 (resized).jpegIMG_4801 (resized).jpeg
#11950 11 months ago

Thanks for the help!!

#11953 11 months ago

Your awesome! Thanks

2 weeks later
#12013 10 months ago

You will get there again!

Quoted from Ecw0930:

I did miss starting that yes!!!! The holes were lit and that's what I was going for and drained. I'm soooo disappointed. I'll probably never have that chance ever again. I was very sad and just disappointed that I didn't get to play that mode!
And yes I contacted KJS but he won't (can't) ship to the States. I would for sure do it if the price was right but there's no way to know.

3 weeks later
#12092 9 months ago

So I’m finally ready to order one of the wire gate mods. Is the user that was selling them still around?

#12094 9 months ago

Thanks I found it on there. $40.00? Was that the normal price?

Quoted from Merendino:

I believe they are also available from him via eBay.

#12103 9 months ago

Is the Pinsider still here on the site? I would try to contact him directly.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

There was a pinsider who made his own for very little money.
But I paid for it to help out the community. Its a great mod and takes literally 30 seconds to install.
One in awhile you will get a slow moving ball to hang under the wire and against the lower post there.
But it shakes out easy.
The game play with the wire is better than without.

5 months later
#12663 4 months ago

Hobbit has The Best Soundtrack. The Best Viseo Assets. The Deepest Code. In Pinball.

#12677 4 months ago

Would you get rid of DI or Wonka first?

Quoted from DiabloRush:

I've owned every JJP machine through GnR except POTC. IMHO, DI is the best of the bunch. Fabulous rule set, great shots, wonderful and fun animations, and a unique original theme. I consider it the final segment in the 3-part pinball disaster pin trilogy (with Whirlwind and Earthshaker). It's the closest thing to a 90s WPC pin we've gotten in a modern title (and that's a very good thing).
For me, pins in an HUO environment are very different from playing them at shows or bars. DI really comes into its own as HUO pin. DI is also relatively rare and as reasonably priced as any JJP. It's hard to make predictions, especially about the future, but I think DI will be a desirable title down the road for these reasons.
[quoted image]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider slrage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=slrage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.