IMG_1276 (resized).jpeg
HobbitLedsOut (resized).jpeg
IMG_2178 (resized).jpeg
20240302_150524 (resized).jpg
20240302_144015 (resized).jpg
20240302_141944 (resized).jpg
20240302_154644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #14 First impressions by new owner. Posted by Eryeal (8 years ago)

Post #45 The source of the voice call-outs Posted by iepinball (8 years ago)

Post #71 Detailed game review Posted by Vyzer2 (8 years ago)

Post #128 Cosmetic issues from factory and customer service response. Posted by RichieWrench (8 years ago)

Post #214 review with detail and good set of pictures. Posted by Pimp77 (7 years ago)

Post #402 Backglass LED diffuser (tones cold white to a more neutral amber color) Posted by PanzerFreak (7 years ago)

Post #714 Another BackBox light filter Posted by Damonator (7 years ago)

Post #769 Rulesheet Posted by tiesmasc (7 years ago)

Post #1064 Owner fixes and tweaks after 150 games. Posted by pinballinreno (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drdoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Look at what I will have Friday night to play. My hobbit will be landing tomorrow.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Nice
Does Jack sign all Hobbits? Or only on special request?

1 month later
#578 7 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I'm planning on purchasing TH and I am curious how much wider is a wide-body? I've never owned one. Is the backbox wider too or just the playfield?

No only the cab/playfield is wider, the backbox width is the same.
Like the WPC Super Pins like Twilight Zone, STTNG

4 years later
#9595 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

The mod is pretty discrete, and is even completely invisible if you have already installed Chuck's "Bag End" mod: https://www.pinworlds.com/the-hobbit-...
Note: please ignore the two holes drilled through the original clear plastic - that was part of a failed attempt at an alternative design for this gate.

Very cool idea!
I am in for an Bag End gate.
I have also installed Pinworlds Bag End Mod

20200620_181152 (resized).jpg20200620_181152 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#9622 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

With some help and insights from allhokie3, I've finalized the design and installation instructions for the "Gate at Bag End" mod and I finished an initial production run of 13 kits. I've got a Pinside ad, so you can grab one here, but it's easier for me if you use Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/trumpanchemods That's the only way for me to do international - they figure out the shipping.
I hope those of you who get one like them as much as I do! Also, please please please share your thoughts and feedback!
drdoom toppers joetechbob
[quoted image]

Cool, order placed
Thanks

2 weeks later
#9709 3 years ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

With some help and insights from allhokie3, I've finalized the design and installation instructions for the "Gate at Bag End" mod and I finished an initial production run of 13 kits. I've got a Pinside ad, so you can grab one here, but it's easier for me if you use Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/trumpanchemods That's the only way for me to do international - they figure out the shipping.
I hope those of you who get one like them as much as I do! Also, please please please share your thoughts and feedback!
drdoom toppers joetechbob
[quoted image]

Installed the gate yesterday -> Wow very cool!
Huge enhancement in gameplay, more bumper action and more upper flipper action.
Great

#9711 3 years ago

Translucent is a nice option for your mod.

I have the Bagend Mod installed so the gate is from players perspective not visible

#9712 3 years ago

Some pics

20210207_221810 (resized).jpg20210207_221810 (resized).jpg20210207_221818 (resized).jpg20210207_221818 (resized).jpg20210207_221915 (resized).jpg20210207_221915 (resized).jpg20210207_221941 (resized).jpg20210207_221941 (resized).jpg
#9713 3 years ago

At the 1st test game an Orc hit me on the right finger...argh

20210207_221455 (resized).jpg20210207_221455 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#9806 3 years ago
Quoted from Modelvisionary:

I guess I'm the one to apologize for the cost of the Arkenstone mod. It took 3 weeks in development, 5 prototypes (otherwise known as "scrap"), using materials from 9 different sources, including several toxic chemicals and 3 unique jigs for production. I'm continuing to refine it, like all of the items I build. If you have one of my One Ring shooters, the current version is the 5th generation of that item. The Ring has grown from size 16.5 to the current one that's size 22 and the mounting is more optically clear and is available in several colors. I also stand behind everything I make. I'll give you a full refund including shipping if you don't like it for any reason. I love doing the research and development but it's also nice to recoup some of that investment of time supplies.
As for the swirling image in the stone, I've tried my best to make that happen. By using an optical quality crystal half sphere, the refraction moves the color and sparkles with the slightest change in the angle you view it. Building in an air layer between two separate surfaces of color changes the refractions happening internally adding both considerable depth and complexity. The crystal also picks up area light so that it appears lit even when it's not.
This shooter rod and now button business is how I keep busy in retirement since I don't play golf and prefer to get my fish from the market instead of the Tennessee River. I have an extensive line already and if you can't find one for your machine, I'll develop one for you.
Bill Hanson
superskillshot.com
PS. To help you decide, I added a discount code PINSIDEHOBBITFORUM just for Forum members for 10% off.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I just tried the discount code PINSIDEHOBBITFORUM but unfortunately it does not work.
Any idea?

3 months later
#10405 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Is it just me or is this game way harder to control the ball on the flippers? Something about the inlane guides are very bouncy, so something I could typically coming from a loop (or similar) tends to bounce so hard it pops back to the opposite sling and gets all out of control. People say this game is too easy, I’d like to see them play mine! Is it just me or do you all notice this?

Because of the bouncy inlanes I have installed the Anti Hopping Mod.
It was developed by the German Pinsider Jim Beam.
With this Mod the ball control is much better, especially during MB

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-hobbit-mod-stop-for-jumping-ball-at-the-outlanes#post-4099584

#10410 2 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Ok that’s crazy! That is exactly the solution I was envisioning when playing last night. I’ll get video tonight to explain what I mean, but basically those wire inlane guides (as opposed to a solid metal inlane guide) are Way More springy and make the ball hop like crazy. Like a ball coming from the right orbit and hitting the left flipper will hop over to the other flipper, but this is hitting the metal wire inlane guide above the flipper and bouncing wildly to the right sling (and often straight to a drain). Normally if it hits a solid lane guide it will be pretty dead or maybe hop to the other flipper. But it’s like having wildly bouncy rubber on the inlane above the flipper. In my game at least.

And JJP changed the wire inlane guides to metal guides in later games DI etc.
May be Jim-Beam have some of these left over... I don't know

#10411 2 years ago
Quoted from DrDoom:

And JJP changed the wire inlane guides to metal guides in later games DI etc.
May be Jim-Beam have some of these left over... I don't know

No only to bouncy

#10412 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Are the wire guides too low?
They should be exactly the height of the center of a ball or just slightly higher.
I think it was 17/32" center to center, or around 9/16" for a 1 1/16" ball.

No the wire guides are only to bouncy

1 year later
#11402 1 year ago
Quoted from iamabearsfan:

TH is on my short-term radar.
As I start my search, is there anything I should be aware/looking out for? Did TH have any playfield issues like GnR had?
Any "must have" mods that I should value when looking at some of pins?
Probably going to need to sell my WoZ to do this...would be open for a Trade discussion if anyone wants to start a dialogue.

In my opinion Hobbit playfields have the best quality from all JJP pins.
Zero issues with mine.

No must have mods but mirror blades and the Bag End Mod are really nice on the Hobbit.

2 months later
#11579 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I also have the "hobbit house" mod just above the right VUK, and sometimes I get airball being stuck behind it (usually left ramp - right wireform, high speed, ball fly above the bumpers and gets stuck behind the hobbit house).
How did anyone solve this issue ?

I have had the Bag End Mod installed for years.
I have never had a ball get stuck there.

2 months later
#11713 1 year ago

The ring is a very good idea!
How did you attach the ring?

2 months later
#11826 1 year ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

I also think of you already have Thorin then it collects you a random dwarf that you haven’t collected.

That's exactly how it is.
Another dwarf will be collected when you hit Thorin/the captive ball.

1 week later
#11847 1 year ago

Wow fantastic apron.
Will it also work with the Elite Topper because the the Topper is connencted with the book monitor?

3 months later
#12116 10 months ago
Quoted from Travahontas:

Nice job on the install DrDoom

Thanks

It's actually an easy job, but also pretty fumbly on the ramps

#12151 10 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

I knew that the Black Arrow version was last but was not clear on what "fixes" were in place over the other two versions?

There were these fixes from JJP:

- improved left return ramp
- Beast Inserts to avoid ball hangs
- blue steel ramp flaps instead of normal steel flaps that will curl
- stronger drop Target springs
- warm white LED strip in the backbox

I am the first owner of a Hobbit Smaug Version how had all these fixes from factory (build date 08-2016)

2 weeks later
#12222 9 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Is anyone interested in this mod? I got one with my game that is brand new and never installed.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1166-pixels-arcade-games/04669-new-glowing-key-to-the-lonely-mountain-mod-for-hobbit-
Asking $60 shipped w/ tracking
Send PM if you are interested, thanks!

PM sent

#12223 9 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Has anyone found some good EQ settings for Hobbit that they can post a picture of? I'm still trying to get mine to where it sounds best. Just seems like overall, the game is lacking bass when compared to the other games in my collection...

Where are the EQ settings?
Could it be that this is a feature of a newer code?
I have the 3.10 code.

I have an additional subwoofer connected to the bottom speaker.
Now there is a thunder rumble when Smaug roars

6 months later
#12765 74 days ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Anyone killed Smaug first multi ball? I've tried for years, on average it takes me ~4 minutes and 3rd or 4th multi ball. Last night I did it on 2nd multi ball @ 2:40. That's bad ass.
I've made it to BOTFA a handful of times, only ever getting to what I assume is the last shot (captive ball?) twice and losing it. BOTFA feels so unfinished where there isn't much lights and the music dies down to almost nothing. Not sure if captive ball is the last shot maybe someone can confirm.

Yes a few times I killed Smaug on the first MB. My strategy is -> only 2 ball left, cradle 1 ball on the right flipper, shoot the windlance with the other ball and kill smaug with right craddled ball.

Arkenstone Modes and TABA
It would love to see that JJP add the same feature as Stern on game start to choose the wizard modes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

8,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Watertown, CT
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drdoom.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-owners-thread?tu=drdoom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.