Yesterday I tried Glo-balls (from http://modmypin.com) in The Hobbit LE, to see whether that would work. Glo-balls play very fast so that's why you might want to try it. I only had 4 glo-balls, TH needs 5 balls. I only played one game but this is what I noticed:
- Glo-balls are very fast. With the default flipper/coil settings, they will fly out of the ramps and bounce all over.
- The Smaug magnet can grab the ball if it is not too fast.
- Kickback and other timings are bad if the ball is too fast. Fast balls cannot be caught at mode start and kickback.
- You can still make well-aimed shots with glo-balls.
- Horizontal 'floaty' balls still occur although they are faster now.
- It felt quite relaxing when 1 out of 5 chance the normal ball would be served. That ball is not as hysteric.
- Pink flipper rubbers on yellow flippers and hot pink glo-balls are a slap in the face. Also, it might be illegal in some countries.
When I get my own Hobbit SE, I might try it again and try adjusting coils, playfield pitch etc. I don't have a strong preference towards slow or fast games, but I simply like to try things out
I you have any experience with this, I would love to hear about it!