image (resized).jpg
767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 15,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 306.
#6201 5 years ago
Quoted from Grateful_Pin:

How would I turn the switch until it clicks properly?

Loosen the screws holding it a little, turn switch body. See the long slot in your second picutre ? Up/doen there. Retighten screws, but not so tight the switch binds up tight.

LTG : )

#6202 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Loosen the screws holding it a little, turn switch body. See the long slot in your second picutre ? Up/doen there. Retighten screws, but not so tight the switch binds up tight.

I tried that last night, tweaking the switch position but nothing changed.

#6203 5 years ago

I tried that last night, tweaking the switch position but nothing changed.

Does the switch register properly in switch test mode? Does the target stay up if you manually raise it?

#6204 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Does the switch register properly in switch test mode? Does the target stay up if you manually raise it?

Target does not stay up if I manually raise it.

#6205 5 years ago

Target does not stay up if I manually raise it.

Is the black plastic drop target broken?

The drop target should catch on its black plastic edge, on the metal scraper on the mech.
Check to see that the decal isnt bunched up, or that something is keeping the drop target from catching on the metal scraper.

If the decal is bunched up, remove the mech by removing the 4, 1/4" hex screws with a magnetic 1/4" nut driver. One screw will probably need to be removed with a magnetic screwdriver. Carefully lift iit out of the game and let it hang on the wiring harnesses near by. Scrape off the bunched up decal with a pocket knife or razor cutter, dont cut the black plastic.
Dont lose the screws in the game. Take your time. Put a towel down in the lower cabinet to catch dropped parts.

You should be able to catch the black plastic drop target on the edge, and then knock it loose with the brass finger on mech by pushing on it. The lower solenoid is what pushes it up, The spring on the side is what pulls it down. Make sure the spring is intact and hooked on the side of the black plastic drop target.

Also please test the switch in switch tests to make sure it is working properly, or at least making contact when you manually actuate it. Switch test will verify that the game can use the switch.

#6206 5 years ago

The spring also exherts a lateral force on the drop target that pulls it forward enough to catch on lip and stay up. If the spring isn’t in place that could also keep it from staying up.

#6207 5 years ago

Last night I turned on WOZ & the playfield lights weren't on. I immediately turned the machine off for a minute & turned it back on. After turning WOZ back on all was fine & the lights were functioning as they should. We had some friends over all night & the machine was fine. Should I be concerned about this, or is this a precursor for issues w/ the playfield lights in the near future? Also, is there anything I should check or reseat? The machine has the original light boards & is a first production run. Jan/6/2014 ~ 588/1000.

#6208 5 years ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Last night I turned on WOZ & the playfield lights weren't on. I immediately turned the machine off for a minute & turned it back on. After turning WOZ back on all was fine & the lights were functioning as they should. We had some friends over all night & the machine was fine. Should I be concerned about this, or is this a precursor for issues w/ the playfield lights in the near future? Also, is there anything I should check or reseat? The machine has the original light boards & is a first production run. Jan/6/2014 ~ 588/1000.

Don’t worry about it unless it becomes more frequent. It happens to me maybe twice a year.

#6209 5 years ago

Happened to me as well yesterday for the first time. Fine after reboot. I’ve also had the purple ubutnu boot screen stay up and clear itself after 5 minutes. Great game, just has some quirky gremlins that come out sometime

#6210 5 years ago

Happens to me too, including the jibberish the crystal ball displays sometimes. As long as a reset continues to correct it and it doesn’t happen often you’re good to go.

#6211 5 years ago

LTG and others...

My flying monkey is misbehaving. Essentially it moves down very fast, smooth, and quietly. But on the upward return trip it is extremely slow (and maybe has a hickup). It goes so slow that after returning 1/3 to 1/2 way it stops and drops the ball. (My guess is that is by software design.)

A few comments:
* I've gone into test and it works correctly with regards to moving all the way up/left and down/right and triggering the sensors for those positions correctly.
* The motor when going down/right "hums" and you can tell it is spinning fast.
* The motor when going up/left sounds very different... essentially like it is not spinning as fast... (either due to torque or lower power)
* I have not yet added any lubrication to the shaft (happy to, and recommendations welcome)

Do you think lubrication alone will fix this?
Any chance the motor is getting different power levels for different directions?
Other thoughts?

#6212 5 years ago

If motor is working not much there. Coupling holding motor to shaft or clean off old and put on new lube.

#6213 5 years ago

Thanks everyone for the insight w/ the temporary gibberish start up issues. After reviewing the random problems w/ the unbuffered light boards I thought that this might be the start of some possible diagnostic & repair headaches. I'm all the better now & will play on! WOZ is amazing!

#6214 5 years ago

Howdy-

I've got my first (I think) light board weirdness.

I've had the occasional light glitching/sticking/off, always solved by a reset.

Today, for about 3 hard resets, I got the same behavior. Only a few PF lights are on.
The image shows self-test "All LEDs on-white"

Looks as if only light boards W6, 29, 179, 178, & 176 are working, if I'm reading the map correctly.
Per the manual map, W6's connection is "from I/O", but I don't see where it goes next in the chain.

Please advise.

Thanks!
-Jason

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
#6215 5 years ago

Follow the data harnesses - #29, to #1, to #2, etc. etc.

#6216 5 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Howdy-
I've got my first (I think) light board weirdness.
I've had the occasional light glitching/sticking/off, always solved by a reset.
Today, for about 3 hard resets, I got the same behavior. Only a few PF lights are on.
The image shows self-test "All LEDs on-white"
Looks as if only light boards W6, 29, 179, 178, & 176 are working, if I'm reading the map correctly.
Per the manual map, W6's connection is "from I/O", but I don't see where it goes next in the chain.
Please advise.
Thanks!
-Jason
[quoted image][quoted image]

board 29 goes to 1. Try taking the green color coded connector out of board 1 and inserting it where the green coded connector is on board 2. Essentially, you are jumpering around board 1 that could possibly be bad.

#6217 5 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

board 29 goes to 1. Try taking the green color coded connector out of board 1 and inserting it where the green coded connector is on board 2. Essentially, you are jumpering around board 1 that could possibly be bad.

Finman2000 & LTG, thanks for your replies!

I flipped up the PF, & confirmed that board 10 lights but board 12 does not. I see the daisy chain order on the PC cover. Super handy reference!
Ergo, light board 12 is suspect.
I gave the 10->12 cable some good wiggling w/ no change.

So, I took the cable coming down from 31 (castle PF) & plugged it into 10 (order of boards in this area is 11, 9, 10, *12*, 31).

This bypasses both the #12 board & the 10->12 cable.

Back in business!!!

To confirm if it was the board or the cable that was the culprit, I put back the 10->12 cable in the 9->10 position.
Still works.
Guess it's the board!

Guess I need to buy a 15-0006-00. Maybe I'll get a spare. One went bad on the original owner years ago. Compared to some light board stories I've heard, I don't feel too bad about 1 failure of the tiniest PCBs every 2-3 years.

Questions:

1. Is it safe to make these swaps when the game is on? Need to first pull the power from a light PCB before messing w/ the data cables?

2. The #12 PCB seems to light "Left Winkie" or something like that. Best I can tell, the light is inside/under the castle wall? Or perhaps it has a light pipe that goes up to the castle PF? I can't even find where this light is, so part of me is tempted to not fix it, but I'll fix it anyway--it would bug me if I didn't. :]
Actually, there are quite a few GI lights in the back corners that are so well hidden that I wonder if they're even noticeable when playing.

Thanks,
-Jason

#6218 5 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Finman2000 & LTG, thanks for your replies!
I flipped up the PF, & confirmed that board 10 lights but board 12 does not. I see the daisy chain order on the PC cover. Super handy reference!
Ergo, light board 12 is suspect.
I gave the 10->12 cable some good wiggling w/ no change.
So, I took the cable coming down from 31 (castle PF) & plugged it into 10 (order of boards in this area is 11, 9, 10, *12*, 31).
This bypasses both the #12 board & the 10->12 cable.
Back in business!!!
To confirm if it was the board or the cable that was the culprit, I put back the 10->12 cable in the 9->10 position.
Still works.
Guess it's the board!
Guess I need to buy a 15-0006-00. Maybe I'll get a spare. One went bad on the original owner years ago. Compared to some light board stories I've heard, I don't feel too bad about 1 failure of the tiniest PCBs every 2-3 years.
Questions:
1. Is it safe to make these swaps when the game is on? Need to first pull the power from a light PCB before messing w/ the data cables?
2. The #12 PCB seems to light "Left Winkie" or something like that. Best I can tell, the light is inside/under the castle wall? Or perhaps it has a light pipe that goes up to the castle PF? I can't even find where this light is, so part of me is tempted to not fix it, but I'll fix it anyway--it would bug me if I didn't. :]
Actually, there are quite a few GI lights in the back corners that are so well hidden that I wonder if they're even noticeable when playing.
Thanks,
-Jason

In the settings menu, disable the board that you bypassed.

The game will play normally now until you get a replacement board installed.

#6219 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

In the settings menu, disable the board that you bypassed.
The game will play normally now until you get a replacement board installed.

Indeed. Already done, thanks.
I can't even tell that that particular board is bypassed--it's hardly visible. Fortunate for me, I guess. :]

Can the light boards be plugged/unplugged while the game is on?

Thanks,
-Jason

#6220 5 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Indeed. Already done, thanks.
I can't even tell that that particular board is bypassed--it's hardly visible. Fortunate for me, I guess. :]
Can the light boards be plugged/unplugged while the game is on?
Thanks,
-Jason

Frank from JJP said it was okay to do so with the data cables but not the power ones.

#6221 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Frank from JJP said it was okay to do so with the data cables but not the power ones.

To add to that. Frank said it is ok to unplug light board power cables when the game is on, just don't plug in any while the game is on.

#6222 5 years ago

I just bought a standard, early run WOZ from the original owner a few weeks ago. I was nervous about it being an early run game but I was assured the 5v boards had all had the fix JPP sent out for them.

Well, I flipped on the game tonight and something seems to be off. It looks like a few lights are dim or out on the lower playfield (where numbers are) and they are all red while playing on both the lower playfield and upper castle playfield.

I am almost afraid to ask but does this mean one of this machines boards is going or has fried again already? I will try to attach a picture but any insight on what the issue may be is very appreciated.
20181101_215706 (resized).jpg20181101_215706 (resized).jpg20181101_215712 (resized).jpg20181101_215712 (resized).jpg

#6223 5 years ago

Here are a few more pictures. Maybe normal but some of the lights seem dim and off from what they were the last time I played.

20181101_221630 (resized).jpg20181101_221630 (resized).jpg20181101_221700 (resized).jpg20181101_221700 (resized).jpg
#6224 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

does this mean one of this machines boards is going

Looks different.

If one were bad, the rest after it would be out.

W1 the big fish board - yellow brick road - has some, this goes over to the T O T O lights and up the right side to the RAINBOW lights. So I'd check connectors for power and data harness from before W1 and up thru the ones that are out. Refer to page C-54 in the manual to see the data harness path.

Look for loose connectors or loose wire in connector.

#6225 5 years ago

Thanks. I am really in over my head as I don't even know where to start even with your instructions. There is definitely a problem. The lights in the lower playfield aren't even blinking or changing colors at all. Even those still blinking in the upper playfield look off.

So to clarify, you don't think this would be an led board issue? I pulled up the playfield just to see if I could find any loose connectors. I will have to look at the manual and trouble shoot when I get a chance but took some pictures None of the lights are blinking or changing colors in the boards of the lower playfield.

The first board where lights are changing and blinking is the one above those in the initial pictures and those above (last picture here with the brighter lights). Any additional insight on what may be wrong? Thanks!

20181101_223827 (resized).jpg20181101_223827 (resized).jpg20181101_223834 (resized).jpg20181101_223834 (resized).jpg20181101_223922 (resized).jpg20181101_223922 (resized).jpg
#6226 5 years ago

Rebooted tge game and lower playfield lights all red again and not blinking or changing colors. Some lights that were dim ir seemingly out before are now red or other lights looking out.

20181101_225054 (resized).jpg20181101_225054 (resized).jpg
#6227 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Some lights that were dim ir seemingly out before are now red or other lights looking out.

One B A L L light is out. I'd start at LED Board #15, and by pass LED boards one at a time and see if one isn't passing data through right.

#6228 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

One B A L L light is out. I'd start at LED Board #15, and by pass LED boards one at a time and see if one isn't passing data through right.

Please look at the pictures above the most recent. Some numbered lights were out earlier that came back on red in the most recent picture.

Do you work for JJP? The guy I just bought it from said he had installed fixes JJP .had sent him for the boards on all boards. If this is indeed a board issue after less than 3 weeks of ownership and no more than 30 plays, what is the long term fix for these problems? It sounds like all of this goes back to original manufacturing flaws & defects and I may have inherited a major headache.

#6229 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

3 weeks of ownership and no more than 30 plays, what is the long term fix for these problems? It sounds like all of this goes back to original manufacturing flaws & defects and I may have inherited a major headache.

Sounds like regular lack of maintenance issues on your game.
Its nothing that cant be sorted out.

Everything can be fixed, however due to the age of the game now, and the 5v system, ITs a great candidate for the 2.0 system being offered by JJP.
My game is just slightly newer that yours with a lot of plays on it. Im probably going to get the 2.0 system as my boards fail due to age.

I recommend this to make the game rock solid for years to come.

#6230 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Please look at the pictures above the most recent.

You are at the game, easier to look underneath. This is how to search for a failed board.

Please check out page C-54 in the manual ( you can download it at jerseyjackpinball.com ) that page shows the data harness path. From W6 to #29, to #1, to #2, to #3, etc. etc.

Please go into Tests - LEDs - All LEDs, this turns any working all white. Lift playfield and lean on backbox. You can see the working ones kind of glow.

They are wired in series, a straight line. Find the last working one, the one after it that is out is the bad one. With the power on, you can by pass the data harnesses on the LED boards, bypass the bad one, and turn off in settings. ( be sure and turn it back on when you replace it ) this will help you identify a bad one.

As an example, say #15 was out. You can run the data harness from red on W2, to green on #16 instead of #15. If the rest light up, you know #15 is the bad one.

With the power on you can move data harnesses. They go red to green from board to board. Don't mess with the power connectors with the power on.

#6231 5 years ago

Sounds like regular lack of maintenance issues on your game.
Its nothing that cant be sorted out.
Everything can be fixed, however due to the age of the game now, and the 5v system, ITs a great candidate for the 2.0 system being offered by JJP.
My game is just slightly newer that yours with a lot of plays on it. Im probably going to get the 2.0 system as my boards fail due to age.
I recommend this to make the game rock solid for years to come.

Can you tell me what the 2.0 system is and how much it costs ( also how labor intensive - I am not the best at this stuff and installation may be expensive if I have to pay someone to do it)?

I don't know that the game hasn't been taken care of. It is an early run standard but the owner installed all the board fixes JJP sent him. The playfield and everything is immaculate as well.

Rather than neglected maintenance, I think if there is still a board problem, it is due to a manufacturing problem going back to when it was built.

coatthegameofblackjacktocoatthegameofblIcoatthegameofblackjacktocoatthegameofblackjacktogetackjacktogettogetit.

#6232 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Can you tell me what the 2.0 system is and how much it costs ( also how labor intensive - I am not the best at this stuff and installation may be expensive if I have to pay someone to do it)?
I don't know that the game hasn't been taken care of. It is an early run standard but the owner installed all the board fixes JJP sent him. The playfield and everything is immaculate as well.
Rather than neglected maintenance, I think if there is still a board problem, it is due to a manufacturing problem going back to when it was built.
coatthegameofblackjacktocoatthegameofblIcoatthegameofblackjacktocoatthegameofblackjacktogetackjacktogettogetit.

The 2.0 system is expensive but replaces all of the big boards in your game as well as rerouting cables.

Its a big job and takes experienced people a bit of time to do it.

That said, if I have to replace all of my boards anyway, over time, its the best solution for long term ownership.
My game is going nowhere for years to come. This is why Im going to do it.

Its about the same price as getting all new boards of the older style, if you can get them.

#6233 5 years ago

but replaces all of the big boards

Replaces almost all the little ones too.

#6234 5 years ago

The 2.0 system is expensive but replaces all of the big boards in your game as well as rerouting cables.
Its a big job and takes experienced people a bit of time to do it.
That said, if I have to replace all of my boards anyway, over time, its the best solution for long term ownership.
My game is going nowhere for years to come. This is why Im going to do it.
Its about the same price as getting all new boards of the older style, if you can get them.

Great. That could cost well over 1k to fix a problem that shouldn't be on those that bought these machines early to begin with. Seriously, what a mess.

Most manufacturers issues recalls over this stuff and pay the cost to fix them. Doesn't sound like JJP ever really stepped up to the plate. Just sent out band aids to the unfortunate customers that bought early like the guy I bought this one from (i was reassured they were fixed desoite my concerms over this game). Now I'm worried even if I redo this already once supposedly fixed board or boards the problem will just continue.

Is JJP doing anything to address this ongoing problem or is the stance that despite the fact many of these games had major board and electrical flaws out of the factory, , it is no longer their problem?

#6235 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Replaces almost all the little ones too.

How much is the entire thing? Why didn't JJP send these fixes out to customers stuck with troubled earky run games to begin with?

#6236 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

How much is the entire thing?

$800 right now.

Quoted from Utesichiban:

Why didn't JJP send these fixes out to customers stuck with troubled earky run games to begin with?

Because many games will never need it.

#6237 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

$800 right now.

Because many games will never need it.

What about those that do? The guy I bought this one from received fixes from JJP that were installed but apparently as I'm unfortunately learning probably didn't fix all of the problems (despite his assurances that everything had been fixed and taken care of).

#6238 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

What about those that do?

Buy the kit. Install it. And be done with it.

#6239 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

What about those that do? The guy I bought this one from received fixes from JJP that were installed but apparently as I'm unfortunately learning probably didn't fix all of the problems (despite his assurances that everything had been fixed and taken care of).

I understand your frustration but I would suggest taking things one step at a time. Figure out the upstream board that’s causing a problem and get a replacement. Hopefully all will be well for a long time and you will have a very enjoyable game experience. If you have other problems after that, then see about 2.0.

#6240 5 years ago

Utesichiban before you jump to such wide speculation you might want to get a better understanding of history... and also research what your problem is and what it will take to fix it. Many people have already tried to help you but you're just jumping to the worst case solution (that everything must be replaced) instead of attempting to find and fix the problem that exist. (And it is very likely you don't need the entire kit or labor to install.)

I realize you probably are frustrated b/c it worked perfectly before you got it home; however, whenever you move a pinball things can happen (even if only moving it 10 feet in your basement)... but you'll either need to learn to enjoy the problem solving and fixing... or pay to have it fixed... or realize that owning a machine may not be for you b/c they always take some tinkering.

FYI: I'm not trying to be an ass but you come on here turning a mountain into a mole hill and making rampant claims with little to no understanding of background. It's not a great way to introduce yourself to a group that started out trying to help you...

OK... so now... let's get to getting your game back up and running. Suggest you follow some of the excellent suggestions Lloyd already posted... let us know what the results are... and we'll help you get to the bottom of this.

#6241 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Buy the kit. Install it. And be done with it.

Yl

Part of the problem is I am not very experienced in fixing these type of problems but I guess I'm going to need to lear sooner or later. Sorry. I appreciate the help. Just stressed out about other unrelated things right now and I let this carry over into my initial reactions here where?I learned there was a potential problem.

#6242 5 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Utesichiban before you jump to such wide speculation you might want to get a better understanding of history... and also research what your problem is and what it will take to fix it. Many people have already tried to help you but you're just jumping to the worst case solution (that everything must be replaced) instead of attempting to find and fix the problem that exist. (And it is very likely you don't need the entire kit or labor to install.)
I realize you probably are frustrated b/c it worked perfectly before you got it home; however, whenever you move a pinball things can happen (even if only moving it 10 feet in your basement)... but you'll either need to learn to enjoy the problem solving and fixing... or pay to have it fixed... or realize that owning a machine may not be for you b/c they always take some tinkering.
FYI: I'm not trying to be an ass but you come on here turning a mountain into a mole hill and making rampant claims with little to no understanding of background. It's not a great way to introduce yourself to a group that started out trying to help you...
OK... so now... let's get to getting your game back up and running. Suggest you follow some of the excellent suggestions Lloyd already posted... let us know what the results are... and we'll help you get to the bottom of this.

Sorry about that. You're right. I'll try to figure it out but lack the knowledge many of you guys do in diagnising and fixing these things. It has been working fine for almost 3 weeks since getting it here (including Tuesday night) so don't think whatever the issue is that itvis likely related to the move.

#6243 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You are at the game, easier to look underneath. This is how to search for a failed board.
Please check out page C-54 in the manual ( you can download it at jerseyjackpinball.com ) that page shows the data harness path. From W6 to #29, to #1, to #2, to #3, etc. etc.
Please go into Tests - LEDs - All LEDs, this turns any working all white. Lift playfield and lean on backbox. You can see the working ones kind of glow.
They are wired in series, a straight line. Find the last working one, the one after it that is out is the bad one. With the power on, you can by pass the data harnesses on the LED boards, bypass the bad one, and turn off in settings. ( be sure and turn it back on when you replace it ) this will help you identify a bad one.
As an example, say #15 was out. You can run the data harness from red on W2, to green on #16 instead of #15. If the rest light up, you know #15 is the bad one.
With the power on you can move data harnesses. They go red to green from board to board. Don't mess with the power connectors with the power on.

Ok. I went into the all led test and the only ones that turn white or red are those you see on the upper playfield in the picture in red. Does this tell you anything diagnostically?

It appears #11 is the last red board. #12 is definitely out. #13 & #14 appear to be dimmer but do have some white (not red) light. So does it sound like #12 may be the issue? Could replacing that one possibly fix all the downstream problems as well?

Please accept my apologies everyone. I am dealing with a few personal and life issues that have put me under a lot of stress in recent months. Unfortunately, this stress is contributing to me overreacting to things at times. I do appreciate everyone's willingness to help figure things out and again, my apologies.

20181102_184015 (resized).jpg20181102_184015 (resized).jpg
#6244 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Please accept my apologies everyone.

Don't worry, this can be frustrating as you learn.

Quoted from Utesichiban:

It appears #11 is the last red board. #12 is definitely out. #13 & #14 appear to be dimmer but do have some white (not red) light. So does it sound like #12 may be the issue? Could replacing that one possibly fix all the downstream problems as well?

You could bypass #12 and see. Run the red connector on #10 over to the Green on #13 and see if things works except #12 and castle playfield lights.

Or maybe take the long data harness from W1 yellow brick road board that goes to #20 ( LED boards past #20 up the right side won't work ) and use this long data harness and go from W6 to #9, Then #1, Then #2, etc. etc. to isolate bad and good boards.

#6245 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Don't worry, this can be frustrating as you learn.

You could bypass #12 and see. Run the red connector on #10 over to the Green on #13 and see if things works except #12 and castle playfield lights.
Or maybe take the long data harness from W1 yellow brick road board that goes to #20 ( LED boards past #20 up the right side won't work ) and use this long data harness and go from W6 to #9, Then #1, Then #2, etc. etc. to isolate bad and good boards.

Ok. Thank you. I'm out now but will try to figure if those things work when I get back or tomorrow morning.

#6246 5 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

My flying monkey is misbehaving. Essentially it moves down very fast, smooth, and quietly. But on the upward return trip it is extremely slow (and maybe has a hickup). It goes so slow that after returning 1/3 to 1/2 way it stops and drops the ball. (My guess is that is by software design.) [...]

Quoted from LTG:

If motor is working not much there. Coupling holding motor to shaft or clean off old and put on new lube.

Documenting the fix here for others/posterity:

Finally got some white lithium grease... applied to just the lead screw (top rod in attached picture) that is attached to the motor and it helped a little but not a lot. Then I applied it also to the guide shaft (bottom rod in the attached picture) and that fixed the problem.

Thanks all!

WOZ-monkey-Mech-Pic (resized).jpgWOZ-monkey-Mech-Pic (resized).jpg
#6247 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Sorry about that. You're right. I'll try to figure it out but lack the knowledge many of you guys do in diagnising and fixing these things. It has been working fine for almost 3 weeks since getting it here (including Tuesday night) so don't think whatever the issue is that itvis likely related to the move.

No worries. Good luck with both pinball and the real life stuff! [And I agree... this light board stuff is very confusing... but if you break it into really small pieces and follow Lloyd's suggestions it can be worked through.]

Regarding pinball repair... the best thing to realize is that you might screw some things up but rarely are they catastrophic... and more often then not the fix isn't that difficult (once you know what's wrong).

Godspeed.

#6248 5 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Ok. Thank you. I'm out now but will try to figure if those things work when I get back or tomorrow morning.

My .02, If your concerned about your abilities to sort this out, Check out regional threads that are close to you, like: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whats-for-sale-in-utah and see if there is anyone local that can help. Pinheads in general are a friendly bunch and usually down to help a fellow pinsider out.

However, one way or another (eventually), your going to want to get well versed in tracking down problem boards, bypassing and replacing them.

Good luck (sincerely).

#6249 5 years ago

To all who have had light board issues, or researched it - what's the story on that now? I understand you can pay the $800 for all new boards, but what about games which are starting to fail? Do you still have to pay full price for each board, or do they do trade-ins, or what? I'm interested in re-acquiring and trying to weight my options. I don't mind doing the work at all, but I need to understand the material cost so I wouldn't lose my shirt. . thanks!

#6250 5 years ago

I have one of the earliest Woz's. Over a thousand + games ....I have replaced very few boards in 3 years. One fish board (W1) very early on and 4 small light boards.
Once I got the new buffer boards (5v) over 2 years ago and hundreds of play, I have not had any other light board issues. Now whether they fail in the future is anyones guess. I remember speaking with Eric (JJP engineer...and now designer!) years ago, he felt very confident with the daughter buffer boards, game would remain solid. In over two years...no lightboard issues..FWIW.
Now Im afraid of turning the game on after I just said this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 16.95
$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 15,291 posts in this topic. You are on page 125 of 306.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only/page/125?hl=utesichiban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.