20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg
WOZ lightboard 2 (resized).jpg
WOZ lightboard 1 (resized).jpg
20240309_110050 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2358 7 years ago

Just played this at the York Show. My. God. What an incredible pin. My son and I played this and the Hobbit and (btw we are huge Tolkien fans) WOZ just stood out further. Well done! I am reading up on the differences between the RR and standard and .. Well we may join the club soon! Outstanding. I don't want to take sides as I want all pin companies to succeed (yes, I guess even AP) but this blew away the later Stern machines I've played . Felt more ... Substantial? Somehow. It's probably psychological but .. Anyway. JJP great great work on this..

4 weeks later
#2617 7 years ago

About to join the club this week - that said, I am getting an original run WOZ standard - no shaker, no Invisiglass. I'm starting to wonder if I should hold out for an EC or RR? Any advice? Or should I just not worry about it and upgrade later if I want?

#2621 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

You can always add the shaker and invisiglass if you want. That and the paint/toppers are the only differences game play is the same.

Thanks - I think the paint is great, but not $1500 great.... the toppers aren't selling it for me either. Seems adding the shaker would be simple. Thanks for the info!

#2632 7 years ago

Well damn, unfortunately I missed 1quartershort's post - I did not realize the panels were screen printed on the LEs.. Picked up the standard yesterday - trying not to think about the LE features too much! I do want to add the shaker motor eventually - this machine had the upgraded castle walls and tornado ..

Anyway one thing that was NOT upgraded was the witch. The big plastic tube she's in broke off during transport so I've got to either glue or replace that - pretty disappointed but it seems a simple fix. Loving the game! Set it on easy to get a feel .. Yeah way too easy! So many nooks and crannies in this game! Got a pretty good deal overall ... Now time to sell one of the lineup!

2 weeks later
#2803 7 years ago
Quoted from GotAQuestion:

My WoZRR comes tomorrow and I was wondering if there are any default settings tweaks people recommend, or if it's all down to personal preference? I think I remember a streamer recommending the strength on the main flippers up 1 or 2, the munchkin flipper up 1, and the castle flipper down 1... but I can't recall for sure.
Anyway, appreciate any inputs and fully understand if the only answer is "you'll have to dial it in yourself".

The 3 I've played ALL needed several of the coils turned *down* a bit. If I remember correctly, the VUK kicker behind the crystal ball causes a lot of airballs and it's way over powered. But as was said above, test then adjust - there's no way for every machine to be identical

#2820 7 years ago
Quoted from Msbartie:

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and finally getting an ECLE for my pin collection. I am hoping to see/play one again (any version) to help make my final decision. Replay Museum in Tarpon Springs, FL has one but it hasn't worked in awhile. Anyone in the Clearwater/Tampa, FL area have a WOZ in their collection that wouldn't mind us stopping by?

I played that WoZ a few months ago when we were down there - that machine is set up HARD! I barely got 20K on it, and I own a WoZ!

1 year later
#6249 5 years ago

To all who have had light board issues, or researched it - what's the story on that now? I understand you can pay the $800 for all new boards, but what about games which are starting to fail? Do you still have to pay full price for each board, or do they do trade-ins, or what? I'm interested in re-acquiring and trying to weight my options. I don't mind doing the work at all, but I need to understand the material cost so I wouldn't lose my shirt. . thanks!

#6254 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I have 9000+ plays on my game.
It's in near perfect shape.
Audits show well over a million flips on each flipper.
The game is not worn out by a long shot! It's a beast.
Because we love the game, I'm thinking of a partial restoration.
At this time as everything on the game is showing wear now and I want it to play like it did NIB.
I'm thinking of getting a populated playfield from JJP and dropping it in, plus a faster computer to get faster load times.
At the very least I'll get the 2.0 boardset and install the new mainboard and i5 CPU.

Thanks for the responses guys! I’m potentially looking at a game which already has issues, so I’m not asking “how likely is it to fail?” so much as “what’s it going to cost me?”

#6259 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Holy heck! What would a completely populated PF field run you? With the list of things you have summarized, why not just sell it and find another? (unless you were a day 1 owner at the $6K or $6500K price, then that might explain it.

Good lord! I’m curious what the price on that is too

3 months later
#6612 5 years ago

Back in the club!! A long time ago I had a WOZ standard which was sooo much nicer than my other games (players TAF and TZ) that I was intimidated by it. A few years have passed and I am super happy to be back in the club.

One issue I am having right now though is- the game is always spitting out 2 balls into the shooter lane. It is really weird, and makes the game virtually unplayable because as soon as i drain, the ball ends, yet the second ball comes rolling along a second or two later. It’s like the game doesn’t realise the second ball is there at all.

The trough optos seem to be working ok (though i am not sure how to test them beyond just tripping the light beam), and the shooter lane switch is working ok.

Sometimes I can leave the ball in the shooter lane for a while and nothing happens, but as soon as I plunge, a second ball is dropped into the shooter lane. So what gives? Connectors to the trough have been checked, switches / optos are ok in test.

#6616 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

So a plunge / upkick of a ball does create a large amount of vibration I would go I to test switch and with glass off give the game a few pounds and see if anything triggers and resolve the flaky switch or optic pound around apron area

Fantastic, good idea

#6617 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Quite often when someone is having this problem it is the jam opto being flaky. Mine was like that when it arrived NIB.

Jam opto - I had not heard that term, I will look it up! Thanks a lot !

#6620 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It is the opto on the trough board that is closest to the shooter lane. It senses whether a ball is sitting in the area of the trough chute that should be kicked out to clear it.
Just an example picture circled in red:[quoted image]

Thanks, I just happened to find the term in the Mission Pinball Framewoek documentation, but that image is way more helpful. I appreciate it!

#6622 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If you find the problem in switch test, you may be able to reflow the solder at the solder points if that is the problem.

Right on; I will inspect the solder points closely , thx!

#6625 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Do you have a shooter lane rail cliffy?
Pay attention while a ball is ejected out of the trough into the lane. Is it bouncing back into the trough sometimes? If so, the ball is landing back on top of the next ball. The shooter lane switch doesn't see a ball so the trough VUK fires 2 balls up into the lane. I had this same exact problem on my MET. I ended up having to bend the ball deflector down (towards the plunger) just a hair. This changed the trajectory just enough to prevent the ball from bouncing back into the trough. Problem solved.
Hope this helps.
Nick

No cliffy

The ball is being smoothly ejected, consistently, no bounce backs. Both balls are ejected into the shooter lane

as I was trying to sort this out, I fished around near the jam opto, and made sure it triggered properly. After I re-verified the optos and switch, I started a game. And ... so far no double ball. What the hell?! I changed nothing.

#6630 5 years ago

Dirty or misaligned opto.

Soooo.. update. Yep
Switches were fine. Optos were fine. Looking closely, I ejected a ball into the shooter lane. It triggers fine. All trough optos are tripped fine. Wait, all of them? Bad opto?

Let’s just say make sure you count the balls before you play

#6640 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

So wrong # of balls installed huh?
We are looking at WOZ now. The wife hit me with I would like this game too after we already bought a POTC - thanks honey take all my $$!
Did you get it locally (we aren't too far from each other) or did you purchase new if you don't mind me asking.

Yep.. lol no idea how I did that.

Your WIFE asked you
To get a WOz after buying POTC? Man... wow.

I bought mine from a great guy, another pinsider in a trade. If buying new, talk to Joe @ PinballStar, who can get you one quick. But you can also buy a used one with ease; saves you a bunch of money. Be aware of the light board issues - but it seems to me they are not common.
Eventually they'll fail, but so will everything. I believe there is a WOz with the 1.1 light boards for sale a few hours away in PA.

#6642 5 years ago

Hey folks - I'm looking for a witch mod to replace the godawful one in the popemobile; i know the goveau one is OOS but are there still others? the hallmark figures?

#6643 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hey folks - I'm looking for a witch mod to replace the godawful one in the popemobile; i know the goveau one is OOS but are there still others? the hallmark figures?

PM'd Sillyoldelf for his awesome witch. What other great mods are out there?

#6652 5 years ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

Yeah we have room for 1 more game and as we were going through potential choices she brought up WOZ again. I'd like to grab a Houdini or perhaps some sort of Stern and rotate it every 6 months or so. Houdini looks great and its basically an LE model for cheap. I think WOZ looks fantastic but the theme does nothing for me, same for Dialed In although I am warming up to DI the more I see it (it kind of reminds of RS which most people hate but I actually love it).
If I could get a good deal on a WOZ or Houdini locally I would probably go for it.
And Joe has been great I am getting my POTC and MBRLE from him. Won't have either for a while (MBR whenever it ships), POTC will pick up at Pinfest (couldn't resist the show special and no shipping, hate the wait though).

Houdini is OUT-standing. You are welcome to come by and try mine, which I guarantee is set up better than any other you’ll find in the area. I find it to be a nice mix where you can both have a satisfying shirt game but also dig in for a long one if you play well. WOZ and TH are
IMO more like “storyline” games where you progress through the plot, while Houdini is more a traditional mode based (many, many, many modes) game with a bunch of mini wizard modes and one insane “master magician” mode. Beautiful game too. And no the shots are not too tight, that is nonsense.

#6670 5 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

Finally got WOZ out if the garage and into the game room!! Only took 6 months or so after moving in.
We took off the head and took out the playfield which while it took a little extra time to do made it the easiest game to move down so far. Really appreciated having the full rails!

Just did this myself! Makes the heaviest game in the world a little easier to move

#6675 5 years ago

Couple quick questions about the winged monkey - when I get the ball over to the playfield magnet, it grabs as usual, and here comes the monkey to grab "Dorothy" - but most of the time this week, the monkey completely misses the ball, and it rolls down the playfield. I am familiar with what to fix if the ball collides with the castle door, but not sure what to do in this situation.

thanks!

#6678 5 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

So the magnet held the ball but released it before the monkey came down? I haven’t seen that one yet. I would check the magnet in test mode.

Correct. It basically drops the ball immediately. In fact, I guess I need to look more closely - I can see the ball move around so I know the monkey magnet is activated, but I’m not sure the ball ever really gets off the playfield

#6679 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I would go into switch test and see if the monkey switches are working properly (the switch #1 at the bottom/right that indicates the monkey is at the magnet and the monkey home switch #1 on the left/top).
[quoted image]

Good idea. Maybe the upper switch is getting tripped or stuck closed and it’s thinking the monkey is already at the castle

#6681 5 years ago

Check and adjust the monkey end switch to go down slightly more.
Also the ball sensor board can be moved around a bit if it's not perfectly aligned with the magnet post. Without completely removing it you can rotate it a bit for testing.
This only if the ball is being released from the magnet prematurely. It makes it hard for the monkey to catch it.
A lot of us flipped the sensor board over. Some boards work a lot better simply flipped over and reattached to the back of the backboard and put in the same position.

Thanks! Seems strange it would work for several days and then suddenly have this issue

#6684 5 years ago

I might be in for a Yellow Brick Road edition of WOZ.
My ECLEWOZ version might want the 2.0 system, but I also like the ideas of bright yellow to spice up my gameroom.
I'm looking forward to seeing it at TPF.
As it stands WOZ is going nowhere in my small collection.
pinballgoddess would kill me in my sleep if I sold it lol.

Do we know anything about the YBR edition? I heard somewhere they were looking at cost cutting some of the features out ? Not sure if that’s accurate

#6693 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I read someone say that the monkey mech will be removed or changed in the yellow brick road version.
My guess, only a guess, is that the Yellow Brick version will be a trimmed down bill of materials lower priced version to compete with Stern Premium pricing.

That would suck - that’s one of the most unique features! And despite me having issues with it this week I think it really adds to the game since it is directly related to setting up the rescue mode

#6712 5 years ago

Hey folks -

is there a known issue with WOZ losing its music after it's been on for a while? I keep coming in to play a game and there's no sound. Mute button is not pushed. I reboot the game and it comes back. This is after 4 or 5 hours (at least) of it being on.

#6713 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hey folks -
is there a known issue with WOZ losing its music after it's been on for a while? I keep coming in to play a game and there's no sound. Mute button is not pushed. I reboot the game and it comes back. This is after 4 or 5 hours (at least) of it being on.

HM. Nevermind? I guess ? Suddenly it's back.

#6724 5 years ago

Another mod question - I remember in my previous WOZ, the Winkie target was the illuminated drop target, which looked great. I did not realize HOW important that mod was until I got a RR without one. But I can't find it anywhere! Is that no longer being produced?

#6727 5 years ago

Thanks - MezelMods is where I started, but they are showing as OOS. I guess I could send Tim a message - but I’ll check with indypinhead too. I’ve bought from him before . Thanks for the tips!

#6751 5 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Mine came factory direct with 2.0 November 16 2016[quoted image][quoted image]

I believe that is the earliest date we’ve seen for the 2.0 boards

#6767 5 years ago

I was fooling around with Add-a-Ball the other day, and our EB is at 50,000. Not sure if that’s because of AAB or because I suck at WOZ!

1 week later
#6809 5 years ago
Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Fired up my Emerald city today and half the lights are again from haunted forest down..... replaced board 15 already. Not happy with this as this game is home use only.

Which board set?

1 month later
#7209 5 years ago

Sadly, I have to leave the club a second time - expenses and taxes got me this year, so I’d prefer to have the cushion

Located in Arlington, VA, $8100 ruby red. 2.0 boards Feb 2017 build date. PM me with an offer. Will trade for STTNG, JD (+cash)

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-wizard-of-oz-56

#7216 5 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Bummer that you're leaving. GLWS.

Thanks - I’d keep it if we didn’t have son many games, but it does not get played much by the family. have to do some maneuvering and I want to scale back some of the high $$ expensive games we have

#7217 5 years ago

Looks like a deal in the making !

Already talking - this might work if we can figure out shipping

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
14,850 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Northport, NY
$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.50
$ 91.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.