767a905f-f768-44f4-b3e3-b2998967ff3c_text.gif
Photo Mar 30 2024, 5 42 30 PM (resized).jpg
20240316_125739 (resized).jpg
20240314_221748 (resized).jpg
20240314_215727 (resized).jpg
841FD4A1-7C8E-4E32-973D-DD8D05C4902E (resized).png
3D72BC84-0D17-44A1-B683-A17D4B722FF3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

12 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by TigerLaw (10 years ago)

Post #2584 Fan Replacement details Posted by bhwolf (7 years ago)

Post #7017 How to tell if your WOZ has 2.0 boards Posted by f3honda4me (5 years ago)

Post #7022 Balls not making it to shooter lane from trough - Fix Posted by LTG (5 years ago)

Post #7126 Location of the latest software update/version Posted by mavantix (5 years ago)

Post #7128 Update 7.01 notes - released April 16, 2019 Posted by thewool (5 years ago)

Post #7752 Fan Replacement how to and links Posted by f3honda4me (4 years ago)

Post #11015 Adjustment advice for the monkey Posted by LTG (3 years ago)

Post #12537 7.03 Code Release Posted by bobukcat (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jasonbar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2467 7 years ago

Howdy-

I joined the club a few weeks ago. Got an early HUO ECLE.

I had played the game several times at shows & wanted to like it but couldn't really get into it.

In a home environment, with the lights dim & nobody waiting in line to play, it's a whole other game--I'm overwhelmed--I'm not big on learning game rules, & my schedule permits me only short & sporadic play sessions, so I'm experiencing it as a casual player, but, boy oh boy, is it a spectacle! :]

I finished reading all these posts today--I found lots of helpful information--thanks for all of the contributions to this thread.

-Jason

2 weeks later
#2528 7 years ago

Howdy-

Got & installed Indy Pinhead's lit Winkie mod. Nice little mod. I find this game to already be overload, way too busy, way too crowded, an over-the-top tour de force, so I'm not inclined to mod it, but this mod is so functionally important to knowing if the drop target is up, so I went for it.

I put in a slightly dimmer LED, then, after playing, I also angled the LED away a little to turn down the brightness a little more.

---

A warning when replacing the drop target!

Short story: make sure your drop target switch registers solid closed when the target is down!

Long story:

After installing the mod, after playing several minutes, I got stuck in ball search, with a monkey ball up behind the single castle door.
I had blown fuse F703. Hmm, the upstream fuse before 3 downstream fuses, 1 of which controls the Drop Target Retract. Coincidence? Probably not!

I replaced the fuse. All coils worked fine in the test menu.

Played a few minutes, got stuck again.
This time fuse F710 had blown. This controls Drop Target Retract, Castle Doors VUK, Castle Double Doors, House Wall Drop.

Main suspect *definitely* Drop Target Retract!

I went into the switch test menus.
It turned out that the Winkie Guard Drop Target switch (#73), indicating drop target down would close only briefly during its drop & then return to an open switch condition. It was juuuust borderline aaalmost adjusted correctly. I'm not sure if I'd bent something a little bit or if the new target didn't push on the switch lever arm exactly as the stock target did, or if some other factor was present. So, I bent the switch control arm to get really solid & consistent behavior.

Apparently, while I'd been playing, the game had put the drop target down but didn't know the drop target was down, so it must have been really jamming on that poor little Drop Target Retract coil to really really really try to drop that target!

All better now. Played many games with no problems.

---

On another note, in both the Indy & Mezel products, it's difficult to see the art relief in the clear target. I bet that a simple black vinyl CNC-cut sticker on the target face would show a really nice silhouette.
Or, maybe even a normal full rectangular art sticker printed on thinner paper--would that bleed light?
Or a full rectangular sticker printed with some clear portions on the art.

Another simple idea: a plain small rectangular sticker (or paint/vinyl/sheet metal?) "hat" on top of the target to block light bleeding through the top face when it is down. I really like the glow of the target face when the target is up, but I'd rather have the target light be hidden or muted when the target is down. I think it would be more eye-catching if it glowed when up but was muted when down.

Thanks,
-Jason

3 weeks later
#2804 7 years ago

Same issue on my machine, but on the backbox LED strip wire.

There's a 2-position connector at the back of the body that connects the LED strip to the wiring harness. One of the pins on the LED strip side wasn't seated in the connector & had pushed out. In the pic, the yellow wire, which had pulled out, is noticeably shorter than the black wire, so it must have had some tension wanting to yank it out--somebody probably goofed the crimp, cut the wire shorter, & redid the crimp.

This one wasn't too hard to pinpoint--it was sticking out noticeably.

Thanks,
-Jason

Quoted from oohlou:

I am happy to report my problem is solved and even happier to report that the problem was not failing light boards. JJP sent me another GI board #7, I installed it, and it worked for all of a minute before failing. That prompted me to investigate for shorts and the connectors. Low and behold I found a loose wire! I fixed that and now I can get all the LED working. I even reinstalled the original light board my distributor took out before I received the pin because it was"bad" and it works. So I'm back to the pins' original board set and everything is working. Woot!
So PSA: If you have light board issues check your wires. Loose connections can be hard to see or even impossible to see when plugged in. Note the green wire below.

WoZ BB LED Connector (resized).pngWoZ BB LED Connector (resized).png

2 weeks later
#2897 7 years ago

Finally! Took almost 3 months!

(and easy outlanes, 5 balls/game, & a modest ballsave timer)

Wow. Felt wonderful. What a rush. Good timing too, as I'd played about 1 hour of adrenaline-rush super-flashy-modded Tron earlier, a game whose ruleset is more up my alley (simple!). I was getting a bit disenchanted with this game, as the rules are too deep relative to the limited amount of time (both frequency & length of play sessions) I have available to play (partly b/c the game just has so many coils & is so very loud during multiballs, & it's in the garage under the bedroom of my 1-year-old light sleeper of a daughter), but tonight was a thrill--she'll definitely stay around for a while. :]

(Still ended up getting only my 3rd-highest score...)

-Jason

Going (resized).JPGGoing (resized).JPG

Goinnnng (resized).JPGGoinnnng (resized).JPG

Gone (resized).JPGGone (resized).JPG

3 months later
#3587 7 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

Last night I powered the game on and during the game I noticed the whole playfield lighting was out, bar the Wizard hole and the crystal ball. I powered the game off and back on and the game played as normal again. Has this happened to anyone before? I was worried that a light board had died.

Quoted from Nokoro:

Yes. It has happened to several of us. It is a rare occurrence for me, and I assume you too. Rebooting is the solution as you discovered.

One time, after playing several games, I noticed that certain shots weren't lighting up. I went into test mode & saw that many of the lights were off or stuck on a specific color.

Reboot fixed it.

Only 1x in about 6 months.

-Jason

PS--and had the game freeze a couple of weeks ago--only time in 6 months, reboot fixed that too.

1 month later
#3746 7 years ago

I played WOZ several times at shows & at one location (Marvin's in Farmington Hills, MI, a quiet location).
I didn't care for it. It was just too crowded, too much stuff, too confusing, too everything.
I love the movie, but the game felt like an overboard fanboy explosion, trying to cram too much stuff into too little space.

When changing up my pin lineup last year, a local offered me an attractive deal on his 1-owner HUO ECLE.
After not finding any other games on my wish list that were readily available, I sealed the deal. I know lots of serious players whose opinions I respect, & they love the game. I could always resell it or sell it back & wouldn't likely take a loss. Low risk deal--a big plus for me, as this was the most expensive game I ever bought...actually the most expensive *anything* I ever bought, beyond homes & cars.

For a while, I didn't warm up to it. I don't get much time to play, & even if I did, deep ruleset games are not my preferred flavor of pin.

I turned on the ball save, widened the outlanes, & switched it to 5 balls. (Some may scoff, but it made the game much more fun for me & especially my 4-year-old boy.)

Then, after a few months, I started figuring out enough of the basic rules to make the game interesting & challenging.

Now, I think the game is fabulous. My boy loves it. I've melted the witch 3x (twice in one game...which I had to walk away from because I was later for dinner--argh!!!), & that's such a blast that I've experienced on no other machine.
It really really shines in a home environment. For me, playing on location was not very representative at all of playing it in my home.

Moral? If you have room/time/patience, try it out for a while & see if you like it. Hopefully, you buy at a good price so you have the option of reselling, so there's no pressure to make yourself like it.

Thanks,
-Jason

Quoted from Fearthejuggalo2:

Thanks for the tips everyone. Wizard of oz is one of my favorite movies of all time. So im pretty amazed at the beauty of the game. I know i may be a little against the grain upon reading some threads, but for me theme really does matter. I am curious if the prices on them fluctuate?
No i unfortunately wont be at pag. Its a little too far for me & i cant get outta work.

1 month later
#3919 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I think the LEDs I'm using are 6v. They light up fine with a 9v battery, would the 12v from the cabinet be okay too? I guess they'd just run brighter and maybe burn out sooner...
Thanks for steering me away from getting power from the main LED loop, I don't want to stress the already stressed LED boards.

Good thing eyes come in pairs!
You can wire both 6V LED in series into your 12V supply, & each LED will see 6V.

Overvolting LEDs often leads to really short life.

-Jason

3 weeks later
#3972 6 years ago

Howdy-

My crystal ball on my ECLE pooped out.
Played a game. During boot, noticed colorful backwards/upside-down text scrolling. After game started, colorful backwards/upside-down text stayed put.
I didn't pay much mind to the text, but I think I recall seeing "SDa" or "SDu" in there(?)

Power cycle.

Now crystal ball dark.

Wiggled connector to back of crystal ball screen. Nothing.
Popped the card out & popped it back in.

Power cycle..

Still dark.

Started tracing cable to give the other end of it a wiggle. It hides in the umbilical with a million other wires.
Where does it come out on the other end?

What's the fix for this issue?

Thank you very much,
-Jason

2 weeks later
#4009 6 years ago

Fixed!

Well, "fixed"!

Fired up the game a few days & the crystal ball was just fine.
Upon further research, a few others have seen this issue & it often resolves with a reboot.
When I'd rebooted the other day & seen only darkness in the crystal ball, I don't think I waited long enough--the ball doesn't seem to show any images right away upon power up & attract mode.

Yay.

Thanks,
-Jason

Quoted from jasonbar:

Howdy-
My crystal ball on my ECLE pooped out.
Played a game. During boot, noticed colorful backwards/upside-down text scrolling. After game started, colorful backwards/upside-down text stayed put.
I didn't pay much mind to the text, but I think I recall seeing "SDa" or "SDu" in there(?)
Power cycle.
Now crystal ball dark.
Wiggled connector to back of crystal ball screen. Nothing.
Popped the card out & popped it back in.
Power cycle..
Still dark.
Started tracing cable to give the other end of it a wiggle. It hides in the umbilical with a million other wires.
Where does it come out on the other end?
What's the fix for this issue?
Thank you very much,
-Jason

2 months later
#4437 6 years ago

In a year or so, I've had maybe 2-3 times where things didn't boot right or where a reboot was needed to correct odd behavior.

Hey, i'ts a computer in there...computers don't always behave...

Regarding not touching the game during power-up, the other day, with company here, I got a weird text boot menu when it was powered up. A bit scary. I said, "Wow, I've only seen that once before, when my friend & his hyper kids were over here and.....hey, did you hit the start button or something when it was booting?" A glance in the manual doesn't show it, but it seems that hitting start during boot pulls up a fundamental OS boot menu thingy?

Thanks,
-Jason

3 months later
#5001 6 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I fixed mine a long time ago ... well fixed it 99% of the time. I unscrewed one of the bottom ramp screws to completely flatten the ramp transition with the metal piece. That fixed it for me. Try it. Someone suggested it to me about a year or so ago and is probably buried somewhere in one of these WOZ threads. Remove one of the screws and see if it helps. If not, switch to the other screw. If that still doesn't work, at least you tried something that worked for a few people.

While I don't have many ramp airballs, it would be nice to have zero. I tried removing each screw & then both screws but could see no change in how the ramp or flap were positioned. Even with those 2 screws removed, I could not pull up on the plastic ramp--it's secured well by other fasteners.

What I *did* notice was that my steel flap was pulled away from the wood playfield juuuust a little on the right side (near the rainbow targets). May be a non-issue, but I didn't see a way to tweak the flap down without pulling the whole ramp.

Thanks,
-Jason

5 months later
1 month later
#5935 5 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I believe JJP will send out Mylar for those areas, so as long as there isn't any damage at the moment, one should be fine.

JJP did indeed generously send me free mylar a little while back (ECLE, second owner, not under warranty): forest, balloon, and Winkie areas.

Jason

1 week later
#5976 5 years ago

Playing with the boy today. Swapping between Tron & WoZ is hella disorienting. Games are so different. And both so awesome.

And the boy is in pretty good form--gotta back into regular play with him!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/njGmKHLERNLYuY8s8

Thanks,
-Jason

1 week later
#5995 5 years ago

I installed the Cliffy Munchkin PF protector yesterday.

Not too tricky, except for 1 discrepancy between my machine (ECLE #196) & both the Cliffy & JJP manuals.
A heads-up to you, in case this applies to you.

There was no 2-pin connector under the PF for the black & violet wires. My machine had 2 pairs of black & purple wires snake up through the small hole. I thought perhaps the connector shown in the Cliffy documentation had simply been stuffed up through the little hole & I'd see it on the topside upon Munchkin PF removal.
Nope.

1 (resized).png1 (resized).png

Upon removal of the Munchkin PF, I found those 2 black & 2 violet wires terminated in this little 2-pin 90-deg connectordoodle under the "W" in RAINBOW. See red circles in images below. There was enough slack to pull the Munchkin PF up a bit & then undo this connector here, so it worked out fine, but I did scratch my head for a while on this one.

2 (resized).png2 (resized).png

3 (resized).JPG3 (resized).JPG

4 (resized).JPG4 (resized).JPG

Installation was otherwise straightforward. Took less than an hour, with 2 phone call interruptions & being stumped by The Case of the Mysterious Missing Connector.

While I had it off, I put a new band on that sideways sling under the O-Z rollovers & did some light cleaning.
Hooray!

Thanks,
-Jason

1 month later
#6185 5 years ago

Ding dong, the pin is dead.

Please help diagnose:

On power-on, I hear the amp pop & 1 quiet fan is spinning, but the PF remains dark, nothing moves on the PF, & the monitor starts blinking "NO SIGNAL INPUT" after a few seconds.

Opening up reveals:
Fuse in front AC input power supply box not blown.
Power supply at front of PC box puts out 24V.
All fuses on big driver PCB on the left have their red LEDs on.
5 green LEDs lit on the small right Pinnovators audio/video PCB.
Fan on graphics card/mother board (?) isn't spinning.
Fan in back of cabinet isn't spinning.
I *think* the fan on the left side of the PCB box might be spinning--I can't see it well--I don't feel air moving, but it sounds as if some fan somewhere is spinning, & I can see that the other 2 aren't.

Thank you!
-Jason

#6192 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Have you tried hitting the reset switch in the big metal box with the boards with the power on ?, if your game has one. If not with the power on briefly short pins 6 and 8 on JFP1 on the motherboard.
LTG : )
[quoted image]

Lloyd for president (or for whatever office you may be pursuing). You have my vote.
Or, if you've got a favorite charity, I'll throw a few $ at them in your honor.

Reset button in the electronics box near the front did the trick (fortunately, it's labeled clearly: "RESET").
Saw a purple Ubuntu screen for a bit on the first boot after hitting the reset switch, but then all nominal for a few games & power cycles.

Please explain, or please point me to where I can read more: what was wrong, & what exactly is being reset when I push this reset switch?

Thanks!
-Jason

PS--thanks for writing your reply with small, simple words so that I could understand it easily. :]

#6194 5 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to explain--this makes sense!

-Jason

Quoted from merccat:

The motherboard in this case is nothing more than a standard PC motherboard minus the typical computer case. Basically all modern PC motherboards have no physical power switch, this allows them shut down gracefully as needed by modern operating systems.
Because pinball has a physical power switch another component was introduced to help the pc motherboard shut down in a way closer to what it expects if it were in a normal environment.... but sometimes things still get outta whack and you need to hit reset. Most commonly this happens with rapidly turning the game on and off.

1 week later
#6214 5 years ago

Howdy-

I've got my first (I think) light board weirdness.

I've had the occasional light glitching/sticking/off, always solved by a reset.

Today, for about 3 hard resets, I got the same behavior. Only a few PF lights are on.
The image shows self-test "All LEDs on-white"

Looks as if only light boards W6, 29, 179, 178, & 176 are working, if I'm reading the map correctly.
Per the manual map, W6's connection is "from I/O", but I don't see where it goes next in the chain.

Please advise.

Thanks!
-Jason

1 (resized).JPG1 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG2 (resized).JPG
#6217 5 years ago
Quoted from finman2000:

board 29 goes to 1. Try taking the green color coded connector out of board 1 and inserting it where the green coded connector is on board 2. Essentially, you are jumpering around board 1 that could possibly be bad.

Finman2000 & LTG, thanks for your replies!

I flipped up the PF, & confirmed that board 10 lights but board 12 does not. I see the daisy chain order on the PC cover. Super handy reference!
Ergo, light board 12 is suspect.
I gave the 10->12 cable some good wiggling w/ no change.

So, I took the cable coming down from 31 (castle PF) & plugged it into 10 (order of boards in this area is 11, 9, 10, *12*, 31).

This bypasses both the #12 board & the 10->12 cable.

Back in business!!!

To confirm if it was the board or the cable that was the culprit, I put back the 10->12 cable in the 9->10 position.
Still works.
Guess it's the board!

Guess I need to buy a 15-0006-00. Maybe I'll get a spare. One went bad on the original owner years ago. Compared to some light board stories I've heard, I don't feel too bad about 1 failure of the tiniest PCBs every 2-3 years.

Questions:

1. Is it safe to make these swaps when the game is on? Need to first pull the power from a light PCB before messing w/ the data cables?

2. The #12 PCB seems to light "Left Winkie" or something like that. Best I can tell, the light is inside/under the castle wall? Or perhaps it has a light pipe that goes up to the castle PF? I can't even find where this light is, so part of me is tempted to not fix it, but I'll fix it anyway--it would bug me if I didn't. :]
Actually, there are quite a few GI lights in the back corners that are so well hidden that I wonder if they're even noticeable when playing.

Thanks,
-Jason

#6219 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

In the settings menu, disable the board that you bypassed.
The game will play normally now until you get a replacement board installed.

Indeed. Already done, thanks.
I can't even tell that that particular board is bypassed--it's hardly visible. Fortunate for me, I guess. :]

Can the light boards be plugged/unplugged while the game is on?

Thanks,
-Jason

1 week later
#6279 5 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful helpers' help!

Ordered a new little light board from JJP.
Figured I'd order 2, as one went out on the previous owner years ago, & might as well have a spare & save on shipping.
Super easy fix.
Wow, #12 GI PCB light (Winkie Target Left) hardly even shows! :\

Minor gripe:
Shipping was $14.20 for UPS Ground on a 0.8-pound fist-sized package & took 7 days to arrive.
USPS First Class package would have cost $5.50 & taken 3-4 days.
And the 2 PCBs, while well protected from the outside world, were jammed together in a baggie w/ no protection from each other.

Thanks,
-Jason

Quoted from jasonbar:

Howdy-
I've got my first (I think) light board weirdness.
I've had the occasional light glitching/sticking/off, always solved by a reset.
Today, for about 3 hard resets, I got the same behavior. Only a few PF lights are on.
The image shows self-test "All LEDs on-white"
Looks as if only light boards W6, 29, 179, 178, & 176 are working, if I'm reading the map correctly.
Per the manual map, W6's connection is "from I/O", but I don't see where it goes next in the chain.

1 week later
#6304 5 years ago

Soulrider911, I just went through a similar issue w/ LED board #12, which is Winkie Guard left, GI, but mine was completely kaput, so most of the PF's lights were out.
The forum helped hold my hand through my fix, so I'll pay it forward:

My machine is an early build, an old 5V, so if yours is also 5V, the following applies:

Per p. C-51 of the manual, boards 1-31 are 15-0006-00 WOZ Single GI RGB LED Board.
I ordered this:
http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Wizard-of-Oz-Parts/General-Illumination-board-5-Volt-.html
JJP promptly e-mailed me back to ask me which PCB # I wanted, as there some directionality to the bracket.

But, as others have posted, picking up the phone should get you quick results & better accuracy than we can provide.

Good luck!
-Jason

1 week later
#6349 5 years ago

Quick 5V vs. 7.5V question, please.

Shannan-

I have an older machine that is running the 5V boards: serial number 0196 ECLE.

I received a replacement Haunted Forest LED PCB (PN 15-000018-05) that I purchased from JJP.

Upon receipt, I noticed that it says 7.5V on it.
I did not find on JJP's site a 5V version of this PCB.

A quick Googlage shows that (dependent upon build date?), one can use up to 3 of the 7.5V PF LED PCBs on a 5V machine w/ nary an issue.
Sounds weird, so I wanted to confirm w/ the experts here before I plug it in & power it up.

Thanks!
-Jason

1 month later
#6433 5 years ago

Anybody want this for a mod/topper/bottommer/sider/behinder?

Wizard of Oz Horse of a Different Color Hallmark ornament.
New in box.

Howzabout $22 + shipping from 92620?

Thanks,
-Jason

20190102_221616 (resized).jpg20190102_221616 (resized).jpg20190102_221625 (resized).jpg20190102_221625 (resized).jpg20190102_221652 (resized).jpg20190102_221652 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#6468 5 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Hello everyone, I hope your weekend is off to a good start. I am completly new to pin ownership and am greatful that I found this thread. My RR WOZ machine shipped today and I can't wait to get it. I just finished reading this entire thread and based on feeback have already ordered my Munchkinland edge protector and am thinking about ordering these accessories from mezelmods. Is there any reason not to order them? Are there better versions of the same type of mod available?

Welcome!

I find this game to already be so full (in a good way) that I've avoided mods.
Mostly.

The Winkie target has a significant functional value, as the stock black target is not illuminated well enough to see if it's up or down. I got Indy's.

And the Munchkland Cliffy is a sound investment for protection.

Plastic protectors are never a bad idea. Low price, easy to install and remove.

Balloon light: not for me. I like it as-is.

Enjoy!

Jason

4 months later
#7615 4 years ago

Updated the code on my ECLE to 7.01 today. Hooray!

I first tried Unetbootin, b/c that was listed first on JJP's page, & it had lots of nice hand-holding screen grabs spelling out the settings & where to click.

But...it didn't work. Got this error when booting WOZ:
20190525_100539 (resized).jpg20190525_100539 (resized).jpg

Then went w/ Rufus & its default settings:
20190525_101014 (resized).jpg20190525_101014 (resized).jpg
Worked!

Settings backed up before the update & restored after the update.

All seems well. Hooray!
Now, I the hardest part will be finding time to play...

-Jason

#7638 4 years ago

Howdy-

2 lighting questions:

1. The throne room wizard head has a bit of flicker. Not the consistent pulsing when it's "lit" for a shot.
Sign of LED strip pooping out? Reseat connector? Other?

2. After playing for a bit (15 minutes-ish, sometimes longer?) some of the light boards go out or go dim & "freeze." No real pattern to which ones go unresponsive or their particular behavior.
I don't *think* it's a case of a board going out & all boards downstream also go out.
A hard reset of the machine always fixes the lights.
The delay before misbehavior, & the inconsistency suggests...a heat issue? Reseat or wiggle the RGB LED board cables?

Game is ECLE S/N 0196, an early build. Has 5V PCBs, except W5 Haunted Forest PCB is 7.5V.

Thank you,
-Jason

4 weeks later
#7941 4 years ago

Please elaborate on wall nuts fixing some light board issues that manifest inconsistently after some gameplay but then resolve after cycling the power.

I had to search on "wall nut". I learned something today. Hadn't heard that term.

Which/where wall nuts are possible culprits?
And which wires are recommended to fuss with?

Thank you,
-Jason

2 months later
#8745 4 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

This is probably why you can use your flippers to select which [TOTO] button is blinking.

Yes.
Yes, this happens.

No.
No, I did not know this happens.

No.
No, I will never be able to use this information for personal benefit anyway. How can cycling through these be helpful--totally a different animal from cycling lit inlanes & outlanes. Is there a certain T-O-T-O button that gets hit more often than the others, so frantically try to turn that one off if the ball is draining leisurely?

-Jason

PS--thanks for educating all of us

1 month later
#9028 4 years ago

If relevant to LukyDuck's efforts:

I'm owner #2. Owner #1 had the game for years.
When I first turned it on after moving it to my home, the backbox did not light up.

Simple problem of one of the pins in the cable connector having backed out juuuuuust a little. Simple reseat (push) of the pin into the housing & it was fine.
Sounds similar to your topper problem, & the Start button problem that you fixed. Perhaps that's what's behind your dark topper.

Good luck!

Thanks,
-Jason

7 months later
#10472 3 years ago

Anybody have any reviews of this product?

I've always found this game in its stock state to already be chock full of features & toys & stuff, so I have interest in very few of the mods out there, especially the cosmetic-only mods.

But this functional mod sounds attractive & useful, so I'm curious to see what users think.

Thanks,
-Jason

Quoted from harryhoudini:

Hey WOZ fans. I wanted to let you know that our Crystal Ball mod, which has been in the works for several months now, is shipping. If you didn't get in on the pre-order now is the time as we still have parts from our original order which means the mod will stay at this price until we sell out and have to re-order. The mod comes with a highly engineered pedestal which holds very true to the scenes from he movie. Included is a brand new, custom made K9 optically clear crystal ball. It's a heavy, real glass crystal ball that is used for photography and the like so it has perfect optics. The only thing re-used from your original is the screen. The pedestal is adjustable in 4 different locations including the tilt of the overall ball mech (adjustable to fit most any height player), entire platform can be rotated to direct the screen right towards the player position, the screen can be moved forward and back from the ball for dialing in the image for your viewing position and the screen can move up and down to perfectly center the image.
Like I said, this has been in the works for months now and took many, many prototypes to get the engineering correct. Finished with 2 coats of semi-gloss clear and including all the hardware needed for this easy swap I think it really makes a nice upgrade both functionally and aesthetically.
https://pinballmods.co/wizard-of-oz-pinball-mods/woz-crystal-ball-upgrade

#10538 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

For me the only Must have for WOZ is additional lighting. How you choose to implement is your call as there are many great options out there but I will say this game truly pops (art esp) with better lighting.

I think I'm in the minority. The stock lighting pleases me.

The only exception was putting in a lit Winkie target. It was completely impossible for me to see if the stock black target was up or down. This affected gameplay, so it was a priority for me.

Thanks,
-Jason

1 month later
#10938 3 years ago

Glinda tried to knock my initials off the high score board. My scores are safe...for now...

IMG_20200729_153442 (resized).jpgIMG_20200729_153442 (resized).jpg
#10942 3 years ago
Quoted from Rager170:

Hey, thats a nice little stool there. Where did you get it? Ive been looking for a cheap one so that my daughter can play. She looks to be about the same age and has a Dorothy costume haha.

I don't recall where that blue stool came from, but we have a few of these & like them quite a bit. Small, fold flat, carry handle, solid, lots of fun colors:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07QPZYRB8

Thanks,
-Jason

1 month later
#11108 3 years ago

Never mind

#11143 3 years ago

Agreed that the caps aren't there for decoration.

The replacement door motors that I bought didn't have caps.

I transferred the caps from my old motors to my new ones.

Tricky but not impossible.
The motor can is a giant heat sink that draws the heat away from the solder zone.

Thanks,
Jason

2 weeks later
#11275 3 years ago

I greased my monkey & witch the other day (preventatively--they were behaving, & they're whisper quiet now), when I noticed that the "CAPTURE DOROTHY" light at the back panel was swung way out of position, so that it wasn't shining through the insert.

I've often struggled to determine if both Winged Monkey Lock inserts behind the trees were pulsing, or if they were actually solid but only appeared to be pulsing because of neighboring light activity.

Wow, there's a light back there!!! It's useful!!! It looks cool!

Wow, I think this light has been out of place for the FOUR YEARS that I've owned this game. I had no idea. *blush*

-Jason

IMG_20200917_183253 (resized).jpgIMG_20200917_183253 (resized).jpgIMG_20200917_183258 (resized).jpgIMG_20200917_183258 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#11533 3 years ago

An easy question for the wizards here.

Sporadically (sometimes feels frequent, other times it's ages between occurrences), during a game, many of the PF lights will freeze on with some apparently random color.

This is always remedied by power cycling the machine. (I haven't found another method to get them to behave.)

I have a vague recollection of seeing posts about needing to fuss with(?) a set of cables (where they plug into the computer?).

ECLE SN 0196, very early run (first run?), 5V light boards w/ a couple 7.5V boards in there.

Thank you in advance for pointing me in the right direction!
-Jason

PS--This issue has been here & there for some time, but I melted the witch today (have done a handful of times, but certainly not frequently) & didn't get the full light show, so that was the last straw for me!

#11536 3 years ago

LTG , Nokoro

Thanks for the replies, but the request is to aid in finding the info about the trick to adjust a cable when a light board temporarily goes out.
I tried searching but failed.

(No need to bypass a bad board--there is no bad board--the locked lights are random & different every time, happen only occasionally, & all is well after a restart.)
(Can't go to 2.0 boards at this time.)

Thank you!
-Jason

7 months later
#12678 2 years ago

Howdy-

I wish to buy these. Does anybody have them?

1. Single LED PCB, 5V, for LED 15. See attachment for the direction of the bracket.
Looks like SKU: S51-000000-00 http://store.jerseyjackpinball.com/Parts/Wizard-of-Oz-Parts/General-Illumination-board-5-Volt-.html

2. 10" RGB LED cable that goes between 17 & 18.
P/N 19-3031-10 4583

Thank you,
-Jason

PS: the story:
Half the PF lights were out.
Investigation revealed that 15 was showing only red, 16 was working fine, & 17 plus all downstream from 17 were off.
Swapped in a replacement (w/ the wrong bracket angle) for 15. 15 now good.
Noticed that the 17->18 cable's ground wire was broken at the crimp on the 18 end. Repaired pretty well (dig out cable strands, solder, heat shrink, hot glue).
No change.
Replaced 17.
All good.
So, in summary, 15 went partially bad, 17 went bad, & the 17->18 cable all went bad (at the same time?)

PXL_20210727_042703762 (resized).jpgPXL_20210727_042703762 (resized).jpgPXL_20210727_043633238 (resized).jpgPXL_20210727_043633238 (resized).jpgPXL_20210727_043519839 (resized).jpgPXL_20210727_043519839 (resized).jpg

#12683 2 years ago

The brackets can be peeled of and re-applied with 3M gray VHB tape.
The boards are all the same, just swap out the brackets if you have spare boards.
JJP used to sell a 5 pack.

(Agreed on the boards being the same. I currently have an opposite-handed board in place now as a stand-in.)

The bracket is sandwiched between 2 PCBs, w/ tape above & below it. Do you twist it out of position to break both bonds simultaneously? I wanted to check before brute-forcing it.

I guess I could practice on my 2 broken ones before trying to adjust the new one!

Thanks,
-Jason

#12685 2 years ago

Go slow. Don't rip the components off the board.
It will slowly release.
Practice makes perfect.

Wow, I don't know how just pulling slowly would have worked. It was stuck fast, & that tape streeeeetches!

My solution was to go in w/ a wide & rectangular-tipped X-Acto blade, bias it towards the bracket, so that it would separate the bracket from the tape (w/out gouging the PCB).
Even with that, it was a struggle to extricate the bracket.
Once removed, there was plenty of remaining sticky tape all around, so that I simply slid the bracket into its new position & it stuck fast. (That 3M tape that you mentioned costs $100+ on McMaster for a roll!)

Plus, as installed, the bracket is clamping the board's LED against the light pipe, so it won't go anywhere.

All that effort for light 15, which is under the crystal ball & hardly shows worth a darn anyway b/c the big opaque crystal ball bracket covers it up!

Back to 100% operation!

Thanks,
-Jason

3 weeks later
#12751 2 years ago

Are your boards 5.0V or 7 5V?

Thank you,
Jason

Quoted from Sammy31:

I'll be doing a 2.0 light board upgrade swap soon. The only board currently not working, from the original board set, is the "fish" board.
Let me know if any are interested in acquiring my swapped out boards...

2 months later
#12967 2 years ago
Quoted from prentice:

I'm debating installing the Cliffy for ~$40, but also just wonder if I should just skip that and replace the PF when I want to sell, if needed. Seems like it would almost be the same difficulty either way, but maybe I'm wrong.

I think you're wrong! :]

Cliffy is just a few screws after the PF is removed. PF swap is lots of screws, connectors, parts, wires, etc.

Thanks,
Jason

3 months later
#13313 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I have a new Header Plaque mod for WOZ.
In my pinside store and ready to ship.
Hope you all like it.

Neat. Nice to see new mods. I applaud the effort.

Please take some pictures from father away. I can't get a feel for what it looks like.

Thank you,
Jason

#13337 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Here is something you don't see every day. Failed to make the Toto shot and when the flippers shut down and the ball drained, this is where the ball sat. I couldn't believe it. Went to grab the camera and heard the ball search going off firing all the coils. I figured when I got back to the game it would have fallen, but it still sat there. One little nudge and down it went. Amazing!

Did you put one of them square rubbers on the ball save post?

3 months later
#13619 1 year ago

Sadly, looking to trade out of the club:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/136033

Trade wishlist (preferably a newer, deeper game from this list):
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jasonbar/collection#wishlist

Thanks,
-Jason

00 (resized).jpg00 (resized).jpg Added 22 months ago:

***TRADED***

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 24.50
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jasonbar.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-fan-club-members-only?tu=jasonbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.