(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,954 posts
  • 771 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by guitarded
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #158 The email with purchase details. Posted by Pinballlew (6 years ago)

Post #159 Video with art. Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Order mirror blades and spooky will install them. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #419 Software update for TNA announced by Scott Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #529 A game play video. Posted by Owlnonymous (6 years ago)

Post #790 Note about early batch of LEDs that had high fail rate - since corrected Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Post #854 New podcast on TNA with Scott. Posted by Whysnow (6 years ago)

Post #1530 Fix to beacon light rattle sound. Posted by brenna98 (6 years ago)

Post #1626 Speaker amp settings Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider santaeatscheese.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6953 3 years ago

Finally got to put some more time on one of these. Fantastic and very different game. Added to the wish list.

Great job Scott. The soundtrack and light show on this is the best part.

3 months later
#7210 3 years ago

Got a trade offer of one of these plus cash for my MMr I am seriously considering. Do you know if Spooky is planning on making any more of these or is the manufacturing on these limited like they were on Rick and Morty?

Thanks!

#7223 3 years ago

Just joined the club! I will let you know how it plays when I get a chance to play it. Still undergoing official "testing".

20201017_132431 (resized).jpg20201017_132431 (resized).jpg
#7224 3 years ago

Seems to play right... but how do you find out what the credit dot is for in this?

1602980346387127906440407067891 (resized).jpg1602980346387127906440407067891 (resized).jpg
#7229 3 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

That could be from something as simple as the jam opto got triggered above a certain threshold. You can view the errors by going to the Error Report in the service menu. You can also clear the error report by going to "Home -> Utilities -> Clear Error Report" and see if it pops up again. Post a picture of your error report before you clear it. Most of the time this is just to give an operator a heads up of something acting flaky.
--Scott

Thanks Scott. Loving your pin. Here is the error report. It is new to me and so far as I can tell the drop targets are working. Where do I go to get the latest software? I am on 1.3.

20201018_183409 (resized).jpg20201018_183409 (resized).jpg20201018_183423 (resized).jpg20201018_183423 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#7267 3 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Thanks Scott. Loving your pin. Here is the error report. It is new to me and so far as I can tell the drop targets are working. Where do I go to get the latest software? I am on 1.3.[quoted image][quoted image]

Hey there!
OK, looks like your drop switch 2 might be starting to flake out. These are standard DB5 microswitches. You can get replacements here:
https://www.pinballlife.com/1225-switch-assembly-for-1-bank-drop-targets.html
The game has built in fault tolerance, so you probably will not notice anything too bad in the gameplay. I would suggest going into Utilities and running the drop target test. This will go through and see if there are any issues with your drops. If it all checks out, just keep playing.
All the latest code and stuff can be found here: www.tnapinball.com. That will lead directly to all the TNA stuff on my website.
--Scott

Quoted from Joey_Bada_Bing:

Drop target 2 won’t release the Ball from time to time. Is this a micro switch error? It finally released it after the 9th or 10th test or so
[quoted image]

Scott,

Thank you for your assistance.

I replaced the micro switch on the second drop target as instructed and it made no difference in the errors I am receiving. Running the drop target cycle test it looks like this.

Also of note, the microswitches you directed me to sold through pinball life are different than what was in the machine. It is hard to photograph, but the arms on them are shorter. I replaced the arm on the new micro switch with the old one and made sure I could hear the "click" when it raised and lowered, but to no effect.

I have not had the game long and from what I can tell it is working, but still have the error code and having nothing to reference it against to know if it is behaving correctly or not besides the error code.

Great game and thanks for all the support!

20201025_195005 (resized).jpg20201025_195005 (resized).jpg20201025_195934 (resized).jpg20201025_195934 (resized).jpg20201025_203119 (resized).jpg20201025_203119 (resized).jpg
#7287 3 years ago

Scott,
Thank you for your assistance.
I replaced the micro switch on the second drop target as instructed and it made no difference in the errors I am receiving. Running the drop target cycle test it looks like this.
Also of note, the microswitches you directed me to sold through pinball life are different than what was in the machine. It is hard to photograph, but the arms on them are shorter. I replaced the arm on the new micro switch with the old one and made sure I could hear the "click" when it raised and lowered, but to no effect.
I have not had the game long and from what I can tell it is working, but still have the error code and having nothing to reference it against to know if it is behaving correctly or not besides the error code.
Great game and thanks for all the support!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

OK, you probably have a physical issue with the drop coil when it tries to put down the drop. Check and see if it is physically stuck and if a wire might have fell off the drop down coil on that target. As for the shorter actuator on the microswitch, this was a production change to make the switch more reliable.
--Scott

Thanks for the help!

After replacing the switch with no effect, I closely examined everything. In the process of troubleshooting I replaced the drop target spring with a slightly stronger one and now it works flawlessly. I'm at 20 games with no drop issues and no errors. She's rock solid now.

One day I'll get my R&M. Love you games. Keep up the good work and thanks for making random strangers lives just a little bit better!

#7290 3 years ago
Quoted from Joey_Bada_Bing:

What did you use for a spring specifically ? I’m having the same issue

Honestly? I don't know... but it came out of this assortment I got off of Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D4G6F83/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00

Edit. Photos below... not the same as original but 5×25 5mm. Note the spring is slightly shorter.

20201030_082611 (resized).jpg20201030_082611 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#7423 3 years ago

Loving the game, but have 2 issues.

1. The color on the left doesn't look right and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot color changing LEDs. Any ideas on where to start? It's like the colors on the left side don't match the ones on the right... there is not enough white.

The other problem is the drops... #2 doesn't always go all the way down. Will troubleshoot tomorrow when I lift the playfield to look at the lights. I already replaced the spring, but now it's like the drop is getting caught on it's way down.

All help appreciated.

Thanks Scott!

#7427 3 years ago

One of your Green LED driver boards is not getting a solid power connection. Check the 2 position power connector on teh board that those LEDs are plugged into.
The drop target is just like any other Williams drop target. Just pop it open and take a look at why it could be mechanically stuck or not working. Make sure the little drop coil is connected and make sure the brass finger is close to touching the actual drop target, but not touching it.
--Scott

That fixed the lights like a charm... thanks! Adjusted drop targets and so far so good. Thanks!

#7447 3 years ago

It ain't much, but I just destroyed reactor 4 for the first time!

20201123_193853 (resized).jpg20201123_193853 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 month later
#7588 3 years ago

Ugh... TNA is dead. I turned it on today and got no input on the screen and just white LEDs. It worked fine this morning, but this evening I got nothing when I turned it on. It did not "break" while I was playing.

Has been rock solid minus fixing one color change LED and reseating an LED board connector in the 3 months I have had it. Just upgraded to 1.4.2 last week without issue.

Picture of machine and board below. Any help troubleshooting appreciated.

Thanks!

20210119_194139 (resized).jpg20210119_194139 (resized).jpg20210119_195224 (resized).jpg20210119_195224 (resized).jpg
#7590 3 years ago

Try and power cycle the PC by pressing the little power button below the DC power jack.
--Scott

Thanks scott... I am helpless... where is th dc power jack.

#7592 3 years ago

Power button is here on the PC: [quoted image]

Thanks Scott!

20210120_053404 (resized).jpg20210120_053404 (resized).jpg
5 months later
#7871 2 years ago
Quoted from Spagano314:

If and when a 2.0 is made, do you think there will be a software update for the original. I own one and I doubt I will ever sell it, but I really don’t want to buy the 2.0 if I don’t have to unless there is some kind of substantial upgrade.

Danesi said in some interview somewhere that they would both use the same code.

11 months later
#8498 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I recently made a custom set of 3D printed flipper toppers and siderail toppers, and they came out so well I thought I would make them available to other TNA owners.
These are not flat decals, but 3D printed in caution yellow and black filaments and come with an adhesive backing ready to install. The kit includes:
- Lower left & right flipper toppers
- Upper mini flipper topper
- Left rail topper
- Inner right rail topper
- Outer right rail topper (3 pieces) - seems are hidden where pieces but against each other
Price for the kit is $50 including US shipping. Please PM me if interested in purchase and I will provide payment details.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

These look really nice... good job!

2 months later
#8741 1 year ago

Site is live!

TNA (resized).pngTNA (resized).png
4 months later
#10326 1 year ago

Back in the club after a 2 year absence... this time with butter!

Just traded my G&R LE for this excellent example. Butter cabinet, upgraded IPS panel, lit rails, plastic protectors, upgraded countdown timer, shooter lane lights, lit speakers, shooter rod, extra backglass, mirror blades, extra playfield... this game is so much fun. Only thing mine is missing is the topper, which I just ordered.

Love me some TNA. only up to reactor 3 so far but only gotten in a handful of games.

TNA is better than G&R every time. Gameplay > Assets/bling.

20230122_130701 (resized).jpg20230122_130701 (resized).jpg
#10339 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I got super lucky. I added it to my wishlist on Discogs and got a notification about a sealed one for sale 3 days later:
https://www.discogs.com/release/12182343-Scott-Danesi-Total-Nuclear-Annhiliation
I had no idea about the vinyl, but I'm more of a cassette dude anyway. I'm still on the lookout for a Deadpool tape though.

If you don't mind my asking... how much did the cassette sell for?

#10356 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

What shooter rod do you have? It's not in the pic. Thanks.
Max

Nuclear of course!

20230124_200809 (resized).jpg20230124_200809 (resized).jpg
#10406 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

This sounds like great advice, but this is my first and only pinball machine and I lack the experience to confidently follow it. You lost me at "Pull the plastic."
No. This is a brand new machine straight from the factory that is under warranty for a year. I paid what is, to me, a ton of money to buy this machine from Spooky. They should be making this right. This is the third problem I've had with this thing. Maybe my wife is right and I got a lemon, and boy, is she ever full of the schadenfreude with this. Spooky needs to do correct this. Spooky needs to do the job they failed to do when they originally sent this to me.
Max

Quoted from maxpower:

Whoa whoa whoa. I'm an actual nuclear technician who turns actual wrenches. I am not averse to working on something when I know what I'm doing and I also know when to back off when I don't. I'll do what Spooky recommends, and if they walk me through a repair, then fine, I'll do that. I'm more than willing to do what needs to be done, and I don't appreciate the implication that I'm otherwise. I'm sorry I don't have the experience you have.

Quoted from maxpower:

Yeah, you're right. I'm done here.
Max

I put together a quick video on exactly how you can likely fix this is in 15 minutes or so if you are still around. I know having issues with your first pin, especially a NIB can be frustrating. Good luck!

#10408 1 year ago
Quoted from Oscilated:

FYI on the CE, the lockdown bar is held in place by two clips (Stern style) instead of the spring loaded slide lever (Williams style).

Well crab crackers. I'm pretty sure he has the CE. O well.

#10424 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:Hot glue it! Then you can remove it if you ever need to change it.
--Scott

Wow! The designer of the pinball machine is active in the forum and giving free advice and tech support. How cool is that?

Danesi- Have you tried hot glue?

Me- Oh...

It sounds so funny out of context but its good advice.

Note that I'm really enjoying my TNA, loved Rick and Morty while I had it, and am jamming out to your Weird Al music. I will admit I sold the cassette that conveyed with my TNA. Who listens to cassettes.

Nerds!

#10436 1 year ago

It also represents the evil corporation's logo that is trying to build the time travel machine that can go back in tie and destroy stuff in the 1980's.

Sounds like we know what is coming in the Multimorphic Module.

Pinball Fandom: Can we please have a Back To The Future Pinball Machine
Stern: No
Danesi: Screw it, I'll build my own Time Travel pinball machine... with blackjack... and hookers!

3 weeks later
#10594 1 year ago
Quoted from Polypin:

Looking for wisdom. The metal around the left scoop, is this factory original? If so, how easy is it to replace?
I was getting a high number of rejects when shooting the left scoop from the lip of the metal surrounding the scoop. So I started to take it apart in hopes of sliding it up and out to bend the metal down to be more level with the play-field. The metal appears to be glued down to the board, which has me thinking it's factory. At some point someone added tape to help guide the ball in but it continues to separate. Recommend approach to address?
Thank you.
[quoted image][quoted image]

That looks aftermarket to me.

2 weeks later
#10668 1 year ago

Quick question for the group. Just traded a TNA out. The new owner got it home and the aftermarket pop bumper top had fallen off in transport. It was a mod that came with it when I got it and I'm not sure how it was attached. Can anyone who installed one of these let me know how they are attached so I can give him good advice on fixing it up? Thanks!

TNA2333 (resized).jpgTNA2333 (resized).jpg
#10674 1 year ago
Quoted from tectonyc:

Spooky emailed me this morning and basically again said "no returns. all transactions final."
Dispute filed.
NEVER buy directly from Spooky.

Yeah I've had a couple of Spooky's. Bought Rick and Morty direct and sold it for 50% more than I paid. Loved the 2 TNAs I've rotated through the basement and never had an issue beyond drop target springs and a board reset. After seeing Haloween/Ultraman, problems like yours on this pin, and some of the things going on with Spooky I'm out of the Spooky hype wagon. I may consider a Spooky again, but it would be second hand after confirmation everything worked. NIB from Spooky is too risky at this point in time and it's a shame because some of their designer's games like TNA here are amazing.

#10710 1 year ago

I need ideas and help please. I traded my (second) TNA to someone last week who is about a 5 hour round trip from me and just received the following PM,

"Very upset. Got chance to play game. Loading multiple balls and flippers dont work at times. Hesitant getting another Spooky. Dont know what happened. Cant even play it. Very disappointed"

This is an original 2017 run TNA... one of the few butters as well. Any advice or simple troubleshooting steps for what would be most likely to cause this after moving a machine? I really want to help this guy out.

I had no problems with this machine, and am reaching out to a previous owner to see if he had any ideas as well.

Thank you all.

#10712 1 year ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

I recently picked one up and thought it was a 6 ball game so I loaded 6 balls in. Game has no sticker on it and previous owner had provided me a few extra balls I didn't realize. Anyway, I had all of these same issues until I realized it was a 4 ball game! Maybe make sure the correct number of balls are installed?

Quoted from PinHigh1:

I recently picked one up and thought it was a 6 ball game so I loaded 6 balls in. Game has no sticker on it and previous owner had provided me a few extra balls I didn't realize. Anyway, I had all of these same issues until I realized it was a 4 ball game! Maybe make sure the correct number of balls are installed?

Very good point. I've passed that along now too.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated! Will update the group when I get more symptoms / info from new owner.

And still loving that LOTR Pinhigh.

1 week later
#10832 1 year ago

I need ideas and help please. I traded my (second) TNA to someone last week who is about a 5 hour round trip from me and just received the following PM,
"Very upset. Got chance to play game. Loading multiple balls and flippers dont work at times. Hesitant getting another Spooky. Dont know what happened. Cant even play it. Very disappointed"
This is an original 2017 run TNA... one of the few butters as well. Any advice or simple troubleshooting steps for what would be most likely to cause this after moving a machine? I really want to help this guy out.
I had no problems with this machine, and am reaching out to a previous owner to see if he had any ideas as well.
Thank you all.

Very good point. I've passed that along now too.
Any and all advice greatly appreciated! Will update the group when I get more symptoms / info from new owner.
And still loving that LOTR Pinhigh.

Help greatly appreciated. I sold/traded my fully working TNA a few weeks ago https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/152883 and its down hard for the next guy a few hours away. I'm trying to think through what would cause these symptoms. This mornings message:

-------------
Driving me crazy. Thought found problem. Found flipper coil paper in trough asy. Has 4 balls in it. Tried reconnecting pf connections. Just keeps launching balls and game over? Guess need contact Spooky or post help ad on pinside.

Put my finger in opto area. No adhesive or felt anything? Starts up fine and would play normal if dont keep launching balls. Even launches ball in attract mode? Bad opto?
-------------

Now thinking through this, what would cause this issue? Is this a grounding issue? It was working in location A, then moved, then has issues as location B.

Thinking through this I could see a few potential issues to check.

1. Pinched connector in neck of pin from folding down?
2. Bad opto in trough? I don't think this would cause ball launches in attract mode though.
3. Bad opto in trough and switch in shooter lane? This might cause issues but is unlikely.
4. Grounding issue in general area?
5. The only thing I've expereinced in my 50ish pins through my basement that caused issues anywhere close to this was a partially blown slow blow fuse causing not enough power going to the CPU. This machine has an upgraded IPS panel display, could it be related to not enough power getting to the CPU? I don't know why this would cause an issue for him if it was working fine for me but am trying to think this one through.
6. Is there a way to hard reset the CPU on this?
7. Would this be something that could be troubleshot through the switch test mode?

Just thinking out loud here and trying to help the receiver out. Once again any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider santaeatscheese.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome?tu=santaeatscheese and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.