(Topic ID: 195784)

Total Nuclear Annihilation Club...Welcome to the future!

By Pinballlew

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11,945 posts
  • 769 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 324 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2177 (resized).jpeg
56456889klyykk_blank1_640 (resized).jpg
56456889999 (resized).jpg
yellow-640 (resized).jpg
20240406_185845 (resized).jpg
20240406_185951 (resized).jpg
IMG_1758 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1709 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3405 (resized).jpeg
20240310_214233 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

36 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 207 of 239.
#10301 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

You need to check the power connectors to your PD-LED boards. If these are flaky, it can cause the LEDs to do weird things and get stuck. Use crimp connectors with Trifurcon terminals and you will be all set.

Ok soi checked all the cables to the boards and there was one semi loose/unseated ribbon cable. But I can’t tell which one is the power cable. Does anyone have a pic or diagram of the specific power cable for the pd led boards?

#10302 1 year ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Ok soi checked all the cables to the boards and there was one semi loose/unseated ribbon cable. But I can’t tell which one is the power cable. Does anyone have a pic or diagram of the specific power cable for the pd led boards?

It's the .156 2 position connector. Also check and make sure that your 3 pin serial data cables are nice and tight in these boards.
--Scott

#10303 1 year ago

You need to check the power connectors to your PD-LED boards. If these are flaky, it can cause the LEDs to do weird things and get stuck. Use crimp connectors with Trifurcon terminals and you will be all set.

So.. ignorant question. Knowing this is a simple issue and known fix, why was that not performed by Spooky for CE editions?

I don’t have a problem doing it myself if/when I experience this problem… but would have been nice these “gotchas” where performed already.

#10304 1 year ago

It's the .156 2 position connector. Also check and make sure that your 3 pin serial data cables are nice and tight in these boards.
--Scott

Thanks Scott, Ill take a look.

#10305 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

So.. ignorant question. Knowing this is a simple issue and known fix, why was that not performed by Spooky for CE editions?
I don’t have a problem doing it myself if/when I experience this problem… but would have been nice these “gotchas” where performed already.

I forgot to take a picture of the connector that was loose. But basically they did try to make sure it was secure. There was hot glue on the connector clearly intended to hold the connector together. However, the glue was actually preventing the connector from seating all the way. Removed the glue and it seated just fine. Not sure if you can picture that. They probably should take a little more time with the glue, but they are definitely trying to make sure the connectors stay put.

#10306 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Unfortunately, I am not a Spooky employee and have no idea what the QC process looks like. I am just trying to help with first level support when I have time as I made a moral promise to do what I can, within reason, to make sure people are happy with their TNAs.
--Scott

#10307 1 year ago
Quoted from falcon950:

I forgot to take a picture of the connector that was loose. But basically they did try to make sure it was secure. There was hot glue on the connector clearly intended to hold the connector together. However, the glue was actually preventing the connector from seating all the way. Removed the glue and it seated just fine. Not sure if you can picture that. They probably should take a little more time with the glue, but they are definitely trying to make sure the connectors stay put.

Definitely let me know which connector was loose and causing this problem. I have been trying to chase this down for a bit on random people's games.
--Scott

#10308 1 year ago

Unfortunately, I am not a Spooky employee and have no idea what the QC process looks like. I am just trying to help with first level support when I have time as I made a moral promise to do what I can, within reason, to make sure people are happy with their TNAs.
--Scott

And you are doing a yeoman's job. Thank you.

Max

#10309 1 year ago

Definitely let me know which connector was loose and causing this problem. I have been trying to chase this down for a bit on random people's games.
--Scott

Ok no prob. Ill send you a pic as soon as i raise the playfield again. Does seem to have fixed the issue so far but wanna give it a little more time before say its “fixed”.

#10310 1 year ago

I just posted a pretty lengthy blog post on my website about how to get the most out of your TNA sound system. I know I posted the amp settings a while back, but this has more information on the sub chamber as well. Hope this helps you guys!

Enjoy!

https://www.scottdanesi.com/?p=4984

#10311 1 year ago

I just posted a pretty lengthy blog post on my website about how to get the most out of your TNA sound system. I know I posted the amp settings a while back, but this has more information on the sub chamber as well. Hope this helps you guys!
Enjoy!
https://www.scottdanesi.com/p=4984

Awesome, thanks for this. I’m going to do the amp adjustments on my OG TNA. It was already wired up for an external sub when I got it and a PSW10 was included in the buy.

#10312 1 year ago

--Scott

Ok so I left it on for over an hour played one game and let it transition into attract mode. No freezing at all. While I did put pressure on all the connectors to confirm they were seated, I’m pretty sure it was the loose connector causing the issue. I marked it in the photo below.

FC02138B-8EC6-45FE-ABFC-7E6A3FADB555 (resized).jpegFC02138B-8EC6-45FE-ABFC-7E6A3FADB555 (resized).jpeg
#10313 1 year ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Ok so I left it on for over an hour played one game and let it transition into attract mode. No freezing at all. While I did put pressure on all the connectors to confirm they were seated, I’m pretty sure it was the loose connector causing the issue. I marked it in the photo below.
[quoted image]

Unfortunately, that is an output connector to the LEDs. The issue that you were seeing is a power input or serial data issue. The power connector on the board is a 2 pin .156 pitch connector. The serial data is coming in on a 3 position .100 pitch connector on a gray cable. These boards pass the serial data in and out of them, so make sure to also check the serial connection of the board that is upstream from the board that was having the issue. This problem arises and goes away and I have never got 100% conformation what was actually causing it.
--Scott

#10314 1 year ago

Hey Scott, I have been trying to update my og TNA to 1.5 and your Beta version from 1.4.2. With both versions the game just sits on the update logo for over 2 hours. When I reboot the machine, it obviously won't boot as the update hasn't completed. However if I update back to 1.4.2 the update completes in a few minutes and asks me to reboot, so I have ruled out the usb drive that I am using etc. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

#10315 1 year ago
Quoted from Eagle14:

Hey Scott, I have been trying to update my og TNA to 1.5 and your Beta version from 1.4.2. With both versions the game just sits on the update logo for over 2 hours. When I reboot the machine, it obviously won't boot as the update hasn't completed. However if I update back to 1.4.2 the update completes in a few minutes and asks me to reboot, so I have ruled out the usb drive that I am using etc. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Use a different USB stick and redo the download. I have had this happen to my machine randomly and I just restarted the machine with the same USB in it and it loaded. I am unsure why this happens sometimes, but it is no big deal really. Just give it another shot.
--Scott

#10316 1 year ago

Ok, I'll try again, I had downloaded the two different files a couple of times across 2 different usb sticks but I will buy a brand new one and do a complete new download. Thanks.

#10317 1 year ago

I just posted a pretty lengthy blog post on my website about how to get the most out of your TNA sound system.

I get a "There has been a critical error on this website" when I click the link?

#10318 1 year ago
Quoted from Strohz:

I get a "There has been a critical error on this website" when I click the link?

Welp, looks like my website went down..... Hope I did not lose anything...

#10319 1 year ago
Quoted from falcon950:

[quoted image]

maybe get a new camera so the rest of us can benefit from your post.

#10320 1 year ago
Quoted from Strohz:

I was able to get it back up without losing anything! It was a failed WordPress upgrade. Who still uses WordPress anyway??? I guess me, for now. Thank you for the heads up!!

#10321 1 year ago

Just had to do it...

0122231649a_HDR (resized).jpg0122231649a_HDR (resized).jpg
#10322 1 year ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Just had to do it...
[quoted image]

Me too. I still need to play better but these flippers pair nicely with this game and help a little with control and flipper fade.

Thanks to 1956PINHEAD
33FD3EA3-4F16-41A7-AED7-9B51506B1112 (resized).jpeg33FD3EA3-4F16-41A7-AED7-9B51506B1112 (resized).jpeg

#10323 1 year ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

maybe get a new camera so the rest of us can benefit from your post.

I will post a better pic soon. The picture is a snap shot of a youtube video. Dont have time to raise the playfield at the moment.

#10324 1 year ago
Quoted from falcon950:

I will post a better pic soon. The picture is a snap shot of a youtube video. Dont have time to raise the playfield at the moment.

Who ordered the bowl of Spaghetti Soup..

(everytime I think I know where these wires go - I start doubting myself).. I don't know how Scott did all this, from layout/game play to PCB design = guys a Wizard or somethin' - I do believe Sorcery was involved..

Definetly check all the com cables as Scott advised = it's a tight fit near that piggyback board. It's nice Sp00ky ties everything up real good - but maybe too tight sometimes - maybe something you reseated moved another cable somehow.

TRBLE1 (resized).jpgTRBLE1 (resized).jpgTRBLE2 (resized).jpgTRBLE2 (resized).jpgTRBLE3 (resized).jpgTRBLE3 (resized).jpgtrble4 (resized).jpgtrble4 (resized).jpgTNA_CE-SWITCH-LED-COMS (resized).jpgTNA_CE-SWITCH-LED-COMS (resized).jpg
#10325 1 year ago

No guts no glory

Updated my CE to the 1.5.1b1 beta update. So far so good.!

At first I tried the USB dongle in the front of the cabinet with a 32gb stick = it said it backed up the settings and only took seconds. However, nothing was written to the USB stick and didn't update the code.

Used a smaller 4gb stick and inserted into the UP Board as advised on Scott's website = update began right away..

Rebooted and confirmed update applied... tested and then shut down.

Then inserted the smaller 4gb stick into the front usb dongle and rebooted. It backed up the settings again. Checked on a computer and the USB stick had everything there this time..
usb_update (4) (resized).jpgusb_update (4) (resized).jpgusb_update (5) (resized).jpgusb_update (5) (resized).jpgusb_update (3) (resized).jpgusb_update (3) (resized).jpgusb_update (1) (resized).jpgusb_update (1) (resized).jpgusb_update (6) (resized).jpgusb_update (6) (resized).jpgusb_update (2) (resized).jpgusb_update (2) (resized).jpgUSB_contents (resized).jpgUSB_contents (resized).jpg

#10326 1 year ago

Back in the club after a 2 year absence... this time with butter!

Just traded my G&R LE for this excellent example. Butter cabinet, upgraded IPS panel, lit rails, plastic protectors, upgraded countdown timer, shooter lane lights, lit speakers, shooter rod, extra backglass, mirror blades, extra playfield... this game is so much fun. Only thing mine is missing is the topper, which I just ordered.

Love me some TNA. only up to reactor 3 so far but only gotten in a handful of games.

TNA is better than G&R every time. Gameplay > Assets/bling.

20230122_130701 (resized).jpg20230122_130701 (resized).jpg
#10327 1 year ago

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have had a hell of a time getting my right orbit to direct the ball correctly to the right flipper. Been working on it since the machine arrived. I have found a fairly simple solution after hours and hours and many failed attempts. I was able to get it working for a short time by slightly bending the right orbit rail near the end of the metal guide but this only lasted a few games. If anyone else is having this issue hit me up and i can explain how i fixed it on my machine at least.

#10328 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

Just got off the phone with Spooky. They are going to send me a new computer. Thanks for the help!
Max

Update: I replaced the computer module, which Spooky sent me promptly. The machine and I went on a shakedown cruise and I'm happy to report I haven't had any problems at all. But I think it's notable that I had two bad components within a month of delivery (the computer and one SW-16 board).

Max

#10329 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

Update: I replaced the computer module, which Spooky sent me promptly. The machine and I went on a shakedown cruise and I'm happy to report I haven't had any problems at all. But I think it's notable that I had two bad components within a month of delivery (the computer and one SW-16 board).
Max

#10330 1 year ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have had a hell of a time getting my right orbit to direct the ball correctly to the right flipper. Been working on it since the machine arrived. I have found a fairly simple solution after hours and hours and many failed attempts. I was able to get it working for a short time by slightly bending the right orbit rail near the end of the metal guide but this only lasted a few games. If anyone else is having this issue hit me up and i can explain how i fixed it on my machine at least.

I'm pretty sure it is supposed to go to top o the sling mang.

#10331 1 year ago
Quoted from falcon950:

Aren’t you supposed to nudge as it’s coming down otherwise it’s designed to bounce out in to play. Without the nudge it’s not supposed to go to the flipper.

#10332 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Aren’t you supposed to nudge as it’s coming down otherwise it’s designed to bounce out in to play. Without the nudge it’s not supposed to go to the flipper.

On a slow rolling ball or a soft plunge, it should hit the top of the slings. That's why the ever popular right side nudge on a soft plunge became en vogue.
If the ball is traveling fast around the loop it should go to the right flipper.

This is how mine plays, no adjustments needed.

#10333 1 year ago
Quoted from damadczar:

On a slow rolling ball or a soft plunge, it should hit the top of the slings. That's why the ever popular right side nudge on a soft plunge became en vogue.
If the ball is traveling fast around the loop it should go to the right flipper.

I probably should have been more precise in explaining. My right orbit would hit the sling on a all right orbit shots even if they were strong hits. Now a soft plunge or short hit bounces off the top of the sling and full orbits and deep short plunges feed the right flipper. This was the outcome I was looking for.

#10334 1 year ago
Quoted from damadczar:

This is 100% correct for the record.

Quoted from falcon950:

I probably should have been more precise in explaining. My right orbit would hit the sling on a all right orbit shots even if they were strong hits. Now a soft plunge or short hit bounces off the top of the sling and full orbits and deep short plunges feed the right flipper. This was the outcome I was looking for.

Nice! For anyone having the ball hit the top of the right sling on a full orbit, make sure the metal ball guide is 90 degrees relative to the playfield.

--Scott

#10335 1 year ago

--Scott

I truly appreciate that you do this, Scott. I love my TNA machine, and it feels very rare to have this level of commitment to a game from the designer.

I'm also super stoked that you put the soundtrack on cassette, solid move!

#10336 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I truly appreciate that you do this, Scott. I love my TNA machine, and it feels very rare to have this level of commitment to a game from the designer.
I'm also super stoked that you put the soundtrack on cassette, solid move!

I'm still looking for one of those cassettes if anyone has a lead!!!

#10337 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:Back in the club after a 2 year absence... this time with butter!
Just traded my G&R LE for this excellent example. Butter cabinet, upgraded IPS panel, lit rails, plastic protectors, upgraded countdown timer, shooter lane lights, lit speakers, shooter rod, extra backglass, mirror blades, extra playfield... this game is so much fun. Only thing mine is missing is the topper, which I just ordered.
Love me some TNA. only up to reactor 3 so far but only gotten in a handful of games.
TNA is better than G&R every time. Gameplay > Assets/bling.

What shooter rod do you have? It's not in the pic. Thanks.

Max

#10338 1 year ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

I'm still looking for one of those cassettes if anyone has a lead!!!

I got super lucky. I added it to my wishlist on Discogs and got a notification about a sealed one for sale 3 days later:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12182343-Scott-Danesi-Total-Nuclear-Annhiliation

I had no idea about the vinyl, but I'm more of a cassette dude anyway. I'm still on the lookout for a Deadpool tape though.

#10339 1 year ago
Quoted from Dan_Halen:

I got super lucky. I added it to my wishlist on Discogs and got a notification about a sealed one for sale 3 days later:
https://www.discogs.com/release/12182343-Scott-Danesi-Total-Nuclear-Annhiliation
I had no idea about the vinyl, but I'm more of a cassette dude anyway. I'm still on the lookout for a Deadpool tape though.

If you don't mind my asking... how much did the cassette sell for?

#10340 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

If you don't mind my asking... how much did the cassette sell for?

Looks like $31.26 after tax and shipping. I didn't flinch at that one bit!

#10341 1 year ago

So, call me crazy… why buy the cassette over the vinyl??

#10342 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Cassettes are so 80s fits the theme better than a record. Vinyls making a come back in pop culture but tapes are sweet as hell.

#10343 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Hard to fit an LP in a Walkman

#10344 1 year ago

Sure… sounds good. Hope you find one. Sweet ass tracks.

I flick on the vinyl weekly and chill with my baby boy.

#10345 1 year ago
Quoted from zermeno68:

Vinyl don't fit in your back pocket.

Also, my Dragon doesn't know what to do with an LP.

I need to talk Scott into sending me a copy of a System of Parts.

#10346 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Vinyl don't fit in your back pocket.
Also, my Dragon doesn't know what to do with an LP.
I need to talk Scott into sending me a copy of a System of Parts.

Bag Lunch was a good song.

#10347 1 year ago

This is 100% correct for the record.

Nice! For anyone having the ball hit the top of the right sling on a full orbit, make sure the metal ball guide is 90 degrees relative to the playfield.
--Scott

Ok, I'm a little confused because on my machine, the ball never hits the top of the right sling from the right orbit.

The ball appears to ricochet off a rivet on the playfield. Is there something amiss with my machine? AGAIN??

20230124_163252 (resized).jpg20230124_163252 (resized).jpg20230124_163302 (resized).jpg20230124_163302 (resized).jpg

#10348 1 year ago
Quoted from maxpower:

Ok, I'm a little confused because on my machine, the ball never hits the top of the right sling from the right orbit.

The ball appears to ricochet off a rivet on the playfield. Is there something amiss with my machine? AGAIN??
[quoted image][quoted image]

Are you sure its hitting the rivet and not the rubber?

#10349 1 year ago

Yeah...that rivet should be below the contact line of the ball. That rubber looks like it is peaking out a bit and getting worn.

#10350 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Yeah...that rivet should be below the contact line of the ball. That rubber looks like it is peaking out a bit and getting worn.

You're right, it's the rubber, not the rivet. It's sticking out too far. You can see how chewed up it's gotten.

What do? I can ask for a replacement from Spooky, but I don't think it's supposed to stick out that far, is it? Can it be adjusted?

Max

20230124_181323 (resized).jpg20230124_181323 (resized).jpg20230124_181751 (resized).jpg20230124_181751 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

9,990 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Virginia Beach, VA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 11,945 posts in this topic. You are on page 207 of 239.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/207 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.