IMG_0765 (resized).JPG
Godzilla (resized).jpeg
PXL_20231130_201100877 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240412_180754164 (resized).jpg
PXL_20240415_201849415 (resized).jpg
IMG_2601 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2538 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

25 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1374 Removing the ugly Insider sticker on the backbox. Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #1795 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Magnet swing adjustments Posted by PinMonk (2 years ago)

Post #3000 Register Your Game With Insider Connected Posted by TrixTrix (2 years ago)

Post #3546 TECH:LIGHTING. Backbox brightness adjustment PSA Posted by Chisox (2 years ago)

Post #4481 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Building stepper adjustment settings Posted by Palmer (2 years ago)

Post #6364 TECH:PLAYFIELD. Bridge and Building adjustments Posted by koops (2 years ago)

Post #6745 MOD: Flame Speaker light kit Posted by DugFreez (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHaven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4312 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

My GZ premium came with some scraping at the bottom of the left side art, so I contacted my distro, who put me with Stern, who shipped a replacement...this arrived today:
[quoted image]

Pretty sure that’s the right side not left? Lol

#4397 2 years ago

I’m in, little sooner than I expected but can’t complain! 12/1/21 build date

BEB307C9-1C53-415E-8AE2-63E134D92E4C (resized).jpegBEB307C9-1C53-415E-8AE2-63E134D92E4C (resized).jpeg
#4492 2 years ago

Playfield issue notice….need a washer under the rail to the right of the magna grab. Some pretty significant clear coat dust from mine digging in after only 65 plays.

4984B500-4106-436A-8866-E57370AC4CE9 (resized).jpeg4984B500-4106-436A-8866-E57370AC4CE9 (resized).jpeg
#4495 2 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

How much trouble was it to get enough access there to get the rail pulled up that much? Just the one plastic, GZ clear plastic, and a few screws topside/nuts underneath? Nothing more involved with the building to remove, etc?
I've been eying that area on mine already too, as that rail looked suspect. Some of the others seen to be bent/constructed differently to avoid this. That part of that rail looks to just be vertical rail tightened directly against the PF... I think I'll throw a washer on mine and double check the other rail there too while at it.

Remove plastic, one screw topside and one nut underneath-

#4689 2 years ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

that makes sense that switching cities, then hitting ramps lights the next battle because I've hit the scoop plenty of times and moved on to the next city and it didn't allow me to choose a battle. make sense to hit ramps to light it. thanks bro

Qualifying or finishing the tier 1 then changing cities to get to tier 2 is solid strategy, and focus on collecting both extra balls helps!

C387311E-78A5-4226-9B21-9C0D04DB039E (resized).jpegC387311E-78A5-4226-9B21-9C0D04DB039E (resized).jpeg
#4690 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

If you finish the first battle (in Tokyo), you need to change the City, then shoot 2 ramps to light the next Battle in your new City. But if you don't complete that 1st Battle, then your next Battle seems to be lit at the scoop immediately. Further, you can only play 1 Tier 1 in Tokyo but you can play a Tier1 and a Tier2 in the other 3 Cities.

This is true if you get far enough in the tier 1 to qualify the tier 2.

Rulesheet:
http://tiltforums.com/t/stern-godzilla-rulesheet/7210

#4762 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Phone app is often garbage results. You may not be where you think you are. Use a real level.

I have had great results with the phone app PinGuy on my iPhone. You have to check calibration with a regular level and dial it in. It is as good as the person calibrating it I think……don’t just throw it on a flat surface and presume it’s level. Use paper under corners in layers and get it exactly level in all directions when you calibrate. I think most people expect phone apps to just work and they are not like that.

1 week later
#5375 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Is there a big difference between Pro vs Premium on this one? Looking to buy one..

The pro shoots a little easier, all things considered. Both are fine games and you can’t go wrong with either!

#5497 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

got my mothra mounted...originally planned to put her back by the building, but the figure was a bit bigger than i expected. I'll probably come up with a better way to attach the left wing
[quoted image]

Nice topper! Interesting location-

#5584 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Avengers is using 090-5032 coils across the board - all three flippers.
Godzilla is using ONE 090-5020 on the right and a 5030 and a 5032, and the 5030 is turned down to like 160 stock. So the feel might be a combination of mixed-strength coils with different power settings in the system menu instead of the same coil across the board like Avengers. I turned my upper left one up to like 180 or 190, and bumped the lower ones a little (they're already pretty high). The R flipper has a stronger coil than the left already.

Ordering new avengers coils now..........damn you monk!

#5586 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Yeah, I have a hard time enjoying Godzilla because I can’t stop thinking about how few wires and boards and solenoids are under the playfield
Might as well pop open a VCR and then a DVD player and cry “where’s the beef?”
Like all tech, pinball manufacturing has gotten a lot more efficient since the early 90s. I know this is gonna hurt, but that’s getting to be almost a 1/3 of a century ago.

Couldn’t agree more, just wish they had spare boards more readily available for the spike 2 stuff because when your down for 4 months waiting for a node board it really sucks!

#5669 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Aside from some longplay fade, the Avengers flippers felt fine to me. What are you changing them out to and why?

I have your fans installed and still notice fade on longer games, would love to have a little more headroom in the coil strength settings. I just think they’re under-powered a bit for the game, maybe saw the different coils and settings on Godzilla as stern learning / evolving but I’m probably over thinking that lol.

#5672 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wow, how long are we talking, and which flipper(s)? The fact that the machine has a mix of coil sizes makes it important to know where you're getting fade. Godzilla is pretty slow to ramp up even without fans, but with fans you shouldn't be feeling any fade at all. The highest temp I've seen even with cooling on a Stern is in the low 120s. Most people should be in the 110s or less cooled. You usually don't feel actual fade until the higher 130s, although it can manifest as missed or bricked shots in the low 130s. So, color me intrigued.

Referring to AIQ in my comment, not Godzilla. Just the lower flippers are weaker in long sessions even with the fans, the upper flipper isn’t a big factor for me and I don’t have a fan in that one. I don’t watch the clock, I just change games or take a break when it’s noticeable.........sorry I don’t have better data for you!

#5678 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

AIQ makes a little more sense because it ramps up faster than Godzilla. But I'm still surprised you're feeling any fade at all when cooled. Karl DeAngelo has run those on streams for 2 hours straight and...nothing, and he's pretty hard on flipper coils. I know you don't have a timer on it, but would you say your AIQ sessions were longer than 2 hours?

Possibly, I will try to pay a little more attention to the time the next time I go deep on the game. When it’s freshly cleaned I sometimes lose track of a LOT of time just enjoying how well it shoots.

#5915 2 years ago
Quoted from SlamtiltAB:

Has anyone had issues with their insider connect not registering achievements? When I first got my Godzilla pro before Christmas I was noticing the achievements weren’t registering when I got them during gameplay but my high scores and “last game played” all worked correctly on the site. About three days after owing the machine I scanned in again and when I pressed the start button it gave me 3-5 achievements that I believe I had actually got the previous days before I even plunged. Last night I completed 3 achievements I don’t currently have, while scanned in (didn’t show up on display just know I completed jackpot and beat monsters I did not have) and they don’t show up… my score from that game is my last game so I know I was connected. Has anyone else had this issue? Not end of the world and stopping gameplay but would be nice to get the achievements when completed. Says Ebira is the only Monster I have defeated in achievements and have made it to the 2nd tier while scanned in a few times last night so must have beat more.

You can qualify tier 2 without beating the mode, just FYI. Also might be a WiFi / connectivity issue? How strong is your signal in your game room?

#6214 2 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

I thought that I figured it out but balls are still flying around. I will search for this bracket. Thank you.

Here ya go-

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1377-hippies-haven/05733-anti-airball-target-bracket-wedge

#6447 2 years ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

On the pro model, does it still take the same amount of time (15 seconds or so) for GZ multiball to start as it does on the premium?

Yes it's a long delay in my opinion, hopefully they will allow a double-flipper cancel of the video segment on the next update.

#6449 2 years ago

......Speaking of the next update.........if Stern is listening..........

Having the option to enable/disable controlling the drop timing anytime the ball is caught by the magnet (as is allowed in the magna-grab loops moment) would go a long way towards solving the problems an imperfect playfield or bad location set-up might provide.

The destruction jackpot is untouchable on my pro without getting a tilt warning due to the playfield being crowned in the middle and the ball hitting the top of the flipper every time without nudging. Stern is calling my playfield "within specs" (still pursuing this) and frankly it just sucks the life out of this machine compared to others I've played both on location and at a friends place.

As others observed and noted earlier in this thread, the Destruction Jackpot magnet hold seems to lock in a tighter position just before releasing, that could also probably be fixed (eliminated) in the code to help the general cause.

#6511 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

I don’t think they can do that though. The delay on the prem/LE is for the building to lower and puke the balls out, no?

It would have to be pro specific for sure

2 weeks later
#7219 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I agree with a few others. I'd never make that trade. I love Godzilla, but to me, maiden is the best designed playfield of all time. The nuanced comboing in the game is top-teir. GZ is no slouch either, but you can still buy it. Patience will pay off.

Agree, I'm not sure yet the Godzilla prem/LE is the best godzilla but I know the maiden is the best in that version (for me anyway). I would wait until 1.0 code and all the hardware issues are resolved / clear on GZ before considering the trade.

#7477 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Wtf? Mine still doesn't work, still waiting to hear back from my distro ( he isn't the most communicative guy! )
Something is bothering me. I have my machine connected to 2 others through a switch. Every time I switch between machines, with all powered off, when I boot up the newly connected machine the scanner node board gets updated. Every time!. Is it doing this for everyone or just me?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

operating as designed.

#7534 2 years ago
Quoted from jonahk:

Been doing some digging and I see I’m not the only one with the game losing track of the ball lock at the top of the building.
This game is on route and has a very high play count. That being said, it’s been pretty much flawless until we installed the .90 code on January 28th. On the 29th I got a text from one of our regulars that the ball was making it to the top of the building but not registering, and the game would have to go into ball search. Sometimes it would drop the ball and sometimes it would not (just giving the player another ball). I came in later that day and the TX opto at the top of the building ramp was dead. No biggie, swapped the opto and everything seemed fine.
Fast forward to last Saturday, same issue comes up from another player. I have them cycle the game, balls still don’t register. As I’m getting ready to leave and come check it out, I get a message from another player that now it’s working just fine. Cool. Game ran for about 8 days with no problems whatsoever. Maybe its just a fluke.
Owner comes by the next day, runs switch tests reseats connectors plays games can NOT get it to reproduce the issue.
This evening, I get another message from a different player (btw, as a tech don’t ever join a discord with all of the players hah) where the same thing is happening and but this time with more detail. It seems like the game is losing track of balls because the player also got a double ball launch on his 2nd ball of the game and the turn ended when one of his balls drained.
He finally got the 3rd ball to lock (5 shots total), but it only gave him two balls for the multi ball and it ended as soon as the 2nd ball drained.
It’s almost like the game never found the ball that originally went up the VUK to the building and couldn’t recover from that.
Other players before him tonight had 3 player games with multiple GZ multi balls including the shadow locks, so I can’t find a consistent pattern that would blame code but when all the hardware checks out I’m running out of ideas.
Tl;dr - recurring Drake hotel ball lock issues on GZLE since the .81 code was installed. Ball search required to release unregistered ball. Other balls in the same game will register but game loses track of active balls and only does 2 ball multi balls. Opto switch is fine.
Full code reinstall maybe?

Does anyone have keys there? That sounds like what my IM does after the playfield is upright and only 5 balls are found at startup. Stacked balls on the launch coil. Everything is fine after that first game and 6 are in the trough for the next.

#7536 2 years ago
Quoted from jonahk:

Good call! Yes, bar staff has a key and can pull glass. I’ll have them check.

It could be a ball is getting stuck somewhere then dislodged later also.

1 week later
#7907 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

We sell on Pinside via word-of-mouth/testimonial....simply shoot me a PM
You can find dozens and dozens of posts on Pinside about our various MRS products....
Matt
M&M Creations

Why not post an item and price for this? Seems like a great product.

#8004 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Thanks for the support!
I don't know what the difference is, but some GZ seem to have coil fade faster than others in a play session. They all need help for longer sessions, but some of them are like yours that are fading after only 20 minutes. I'm not sure if it's more sensitive players tuned into the fade quickly or something mechanically different with certain builds, but it's definitely a thing.

Could also be player style and EOS problems…..to be thorough.

3 weeks later
#8855 2 years ago
Quoted from tbaum:

Oof yeah it's a bad game. I played it last week at a pinball arcade and was bored out of my mind. It just shoots so slow, and the shots aren't very interesting. I didn't feel like much was happening, but I kept the ball in play. Finished with the GC, but really had no excitement at all.

I wanted it to be great, really love the theme. The ball popping in the return lanes is just a terrible design I think, no code will fix that. It is a snoozer for gameplay so far also.

#8860 2 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Did scoring get ramped up for this new code? Or did I just have a good game?
[quoted image]

I think the power ups make a difference!

71B80A2E-6704-4844-A2FD-AD7CF53F49E4 (resized).jpeg71B80A2E-6704-4844-A2FD-AD7CF53F49E4 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#9075 2 years ago

It occurred to me after two games in a row draining right as I started hedorah that if stern doesn’t change the minimum hedorah score from 500M to 420,365 they have missed out on a golden opportunity and I will question their commitment to that character they built............that is all-

1 week later
#9369 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Pic of the magnet plastic on my pro. Not sure if it is different than others machines or not. Build date last week of March.
[quoted image]

Hopefully the Rush scoop protector has a better alternate solution!

2 months later
#11790 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Spare pair of Pinstadiums installed. My eyes needed them and I had them. Sue me.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I played a premium on location last weekend when we were on vacation that has pinstadiums wired into the shaker I think, and it made the game brighten up in all the dark moments it was pretty cool. Might try it with the set I have laying around also.......

#11907 1 year ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Hello again friends. My intermittent flipper points are back. During another game my flippers were racking up points. As soon as it started this time I went straight into test mode. I banged on the playfield to see if a switch would trip, but no luck. I did press the right button a few times and the left. I discovered holding either flipper in, makes the “right ramp opto made” switch to pop up. During gameplay that’s what the sound effect is, the right ramp. Somehow the flippers are setting off that opto…how?
Also it seems every so often my right flipper puts up a dud. Not flipper fade, just a plain out dead shot with no power.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your two issues are probably not related.

Check to see if the opto is loose or not aligned properly. The vibration of the flip can shake the opto enough to set off the switch.

Flipper power could be EOS needs adjusted or bad coil stop, I replace all stern coil stops on new games because theirs are notoriously crappy parts and cause a lot of dust in the games among other issues (like yours sometimes).

1 month later
#14191 1 year ago

Found in cabinet, can’t seem to place it…..any help is appreciated!

57584702-2680-4ECC-BC77-F11632A98865 (resized).jpeg57584702-2680-4ECC-BC77-F11632A98865 (resized).jpegC8502FCE-387A-447A-AB1C-F0164FE20B9E (resized).jpegC8502FCE-387A-447A-AB1C-F0164FE20B9E (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#14625 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

I havent checked thread in a while and figured Id ask
This question again since theres many new owners.
I have a first run premium. On my game balls often go airborne on their way down the playfield and richochet off the ball lane rails that go across the playfield. Its not just a glance as the ball will be coming down the playfield and violently hit one of those lane guides.
Is this common and is there something I can do to fix?
Its mostly from the stand up targets on the building but also happens from the building middle as well when closed. The standups arent in a bad position that would send balls airbrone.

My Pinside shop sells a 3D printed wedge that you can put between your stand up targets and the playfield to reduce airballs. There is also a metal bracket with a similar angle change available through regular internet channels.

For the building, that's a new one..........I'm not sure there's anything adjustable there and I would think the plastic over the entrance would keep them low if they do get some air coming out of there? My premium is also first run and I haven't had any issues there.

#14630 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

the building is more rare, but from the stand ups its all the darn time. Did you have the same issue and your wedges help?

I designed them for my AIQ which was horrible air-balling from the widow ramp targets, and it definitely made a difference there. Both my GZ pro and premium are now at locations, but when I've had them home the only major airball issue I noticed was on the pro from the post by the lower left target that hit the wireform there frequently. I've had a few balls come back hard and hit the wireforms, but it's usually when the ball is coming to the flipper fast and a quick stall-catch-flip (not sure if that's a real term) adds a lot of spin to the ball which is a bad habit I'm trying to stop doing on all my playing lol.

So long story short it hasn't been a big enough issue for me on this particular game to install them but I have had a lot of people order them for GZ and report back that they were effective. Every game and build is unique, that is for sure, and the wedges can be stacked if one doesn't give you the results you want and they're easily removed also. Protect your wireforms, whatever it takes, they aren't cheap to replace!

2 months later
#16772 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

Finally saw the gold dust everyone was warned about with the coil stops. Now, how do I found out which one needs replacing? Is it definitely one/both of the flippers? The gold dust seemed to be at/north of the cabinet speaker, slightly more left of center overall. But in removing the left flipper coil, I didn't see any gold dust in there.
There are also the two larger coils near the center, but the stops are part of a much larger metal bracket on each side. (hopefully not those?)

Replace all of them, your game deserves better than the stern factory stops on the flippers.

#16864 1 year ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Can you download the new code via WiFi if your not a member of insider connected?

no you have to register your game to use connected

#16961 1 year ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

I joined the GZ club today. I picked up a premium from the local shipping depot and........a big tear in the lower part of the box. There is a five inch tear along with a few smaller ones on the right side of the cabinet. It is right where the bug's wing enters its body. I initially refused shipment and called Tilt Amusements. Troy said he would need to refund my money and I would have to wait for the next available machine. That could be another six to nine months. The other option was to accept the machine, send Tilt some photos of the damage and they would ship me a new cabinet side decal. If nothing else I can hold onto the new decal if I ever sell the GZ. I opted to keep the machine. I can't wait to get it set up and going. That said, what do you folks think? Keep or return?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your plan works fine, that’s what I would have done.

1 week later
#17363 1 year ago
Quoted from splickety_lit:

Following up on this. I finally had some time to dig into it, and I believe the issue has finally been solved.
I checked everything about this flipper. The coil stop, the gap with the bushing, the EOS switch, the sleeve, the linkage, etc.. Everything was fine. But the left flipper was still sticking in the up position often. I knew it wasn't the coil, because I could cut the power and it would stay up. And the slightest vibration would drop the flipper, like if I smacked the cabinet or even just activated the right flipper. So whatever the issue, it was just barely causing the plunger to stick.
A couple months before this started happening, I replaced all three coil stops (and sleeves) with the ones from Pinball Life. When installing the new stops, I left in all the spring washers. Today, after I checked everything else again, I removed the spring washer from the left flipper because I couldn't think of anything else to try. No more sticking. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, or I somehow accidentally fixed some other issue when removing the washer, I reinstalled and uninstalled the washer several times. Every time the washer was in, the flipper kept getting stuck. Every time the washer was out, the flipper never got stuck.
I'm not exactly sure what is happening with the left flipper and that washer. It looks exactly like the washer for the right flipper, which is still installed and that flipper has never had any issues. So who really knows what was going on, but I'm glad I can finally play the game without flipper issues now.
[quoted image]

Are you sure you have the correct sleeves, and it’s not installed backwards on that side?

#17380 1 year ago
Quoted from splickety_lit:

Yes and yes. Before I installed the new sleeves I made sure they were exactly like the old ones. And I don't think they could even be installed backwards since the end of the sleeve sticks out of the bracket on the side of the linkage. The lip on the other end of the sleeve would prevent it from doing that, and the brackets would not fit correctly.
I also checked the new sleeves for any burrs or debris or whatever that would catch the plunger, they were perfectly smooth.

Well it’s great that your flipper is working better but it’s probably not fixed for the long term, something isn’t right in that system with the description you gave.

1 week later
#17528 1 year ago
Quoted from dboeren:

The biggest problem I'm having with Godzilla is trying to figure out what pinball to buy next that is worthy to stand next to it. Where do you go from here?

If you want an Elwin experience that’s close to the flow wow factor get IMDN, if you want deeper code go Rush or Avengers. If you want flow with family friendly I recommend Deadpool.

1 month later
#18375 1 year ago
Quoted from prentice:

I think you can just peel them off, though you presumably need to reapply the VHB (strong, thin double stick tape). I think some people just leave the old strips in place, and Pinstadiums sells just the magnet strips.

Amazon sells magnetic strip 1/2” rolls (3M) also you can cut to size.

1 month later
#19017 1 year ago

Most definitely a stuck switch……..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 73.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 210.00
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chula Vista, CA
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 80.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waco, TX
$ 35.00
$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinballHaven.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-godzilla-official-owners-club?tu=PinballHaven and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.