229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,746 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 215.
#3701 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

The only mpu100 pin that I own for reference is a Nugent and it’s missing the lockdown bar.

I have been looking in my parts stash. I have an extra receiver for the button style bar but it does not have a handle.

#3702 3 years ago

Now, without anything other than gut feeling, I think the 122-125 is different from the -3 as well, but I don't even know how to test a transformer to compare. I do know the conventional wisdom always says that transformers are VERY variable in their results. (You'd think that a certain gauge wire, a certain # of times over the same core, would be the same voltage change, but apparently it isn't....)

There are a lot of other factors in play as well, how steep the playfield, clearcoat, just waxed, etc. to take into account. As long as the game plays properly, I'm ok with whatever transformer is in there.

I find that (possibly only the older version....) type 2 mechs from pinball life seem to get magnetized easily, which likely robs power as well. I pretty much only use vintage stern stuff to rebuild my flippers, other than the plunger (which I use some gottlieb equivalent that Marco used to sell for $2) and I rob the pristine copper coil stops from the pop bumpers. I'll have an issue when I run out of those parts, though!

I know when I had centaur with the Tom Callahan 'bally bolt bars' installed the flippers were weak as hell and started to stick - the bolt bar was storing a ton of magnetism messing the flipper up! Interesting idea, but clearly the wrong type of metal used.

Hmmmm..... I wonder if sticking the earlier williams coil with the shorter bobbin into a stern game would juice it up some? (designed for the 28v solenoids) - theory says that it should! Next time I have weak flippers in a stern game I'll try it.....

#3703 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The Dracula I bought had the button style. The Hot Hand I bought had the later slotted style. I think Trident has the earlier button style.

Possible that some do but my Trident (owned for nearly 20 years) has the slotted style, as does my Hot Hand parts game.

#3704 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Here are some pics of my button style lockdown bar. There are no part numbers. AFAIK, Stern is the only company to use this type of lock bar. So, if you see the telltale nut plates that are spot welded on they will probably be the bar that you want.
This bar came from a roached Dracula I bought.
Caution: Those screws (buttons ) are not standard off the shelf screws. If they are missing then you will need to visit a machine shop to get them made.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those screws appear the same as the ones Gottlieb used in their earlier lockbars, and according to the listing below Chicago Coin as well. I have bought them for a Gottlieb lockbar from pbresource.

https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/lockdown-screw-p-1596

Oh, the Dracula I used to own also had the button style.

#3705 3 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Those screws appear the same as the ones Gottlieb used in their earlier lockbars, and according to the listing below Chicago Coin as well. I have bought them for a Gottlieb lockbar from pbresource.
https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/lockdown-screw-p-1596
Oh, the Dracula I used to own also had the button style.

Nice find. All I can say about the ones you linked is that I think they could be a little longer with more threads. There needs to be enough room for the locking nut, IMO.

IMG_4265 (resized).JPGIMG_4265 (resized).JPGA7408 (resized).jpgA7408 (resized).jpg

#3706 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Caution: Those screws (buttons ) are not standard off the shelf screws. If they are missing then you will need to visit a machine shop to get them made.

Ball head screws.

#3707 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I’ve been on the hunt for a coin flap for a while. Not easy to find it seems. There is an aftermarket option with Cliffy if you get stuck.
http://www.passionforpinball.com/blycoin.htm

Call Steve Young at Pinball Resource. He might have repro parts available, plus HD buys out operators and doesn’t list odds and ends in his site.

#3708 3 years ago

Can someone tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong? I don't have full access to the game right now, it's with my brother pinball_ric but I've rebuilt one of pop bumpers on my Trident twice in the last year and the metal ring plungers keep binding. This is the second, separate mech doing it (pulled and rebuilt from a parts game). These are the old style metal base assemblies.

Pertinent parts like the little plastic spacers, the base, etc that aren't readily replaceable were sonic cleaned and reused but the coil plunger, springs, switch, spoon, yokes (both), and stop were all replaced. This second go-around I decided to buff out the original metal ring since I noticed replacements were a hair larger, preventing me from being able to pass the ring through the playfield like the originals with the removeable legs. I thought maybe that was the problem.

Everything moved clean and easy prior to installing but it started binding again after 50-100 games. Anyone have any tips?

#3709 3 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Can someone tell me what the heck I'm doing wrong? I don't have full access to the game right now, it's with my brother pinball_ric but I've rebuilt one of pop bumpers on my Trident twice in the last year and the metal ring plungers keep binding. This is the second, separate mech doing it (pulled and rebuilt from a parts game). These are the old style metal base assemblies.
Pertinent parts like the little plastic spacers, the base, etc that aren't readily replaceable were sonic cleaned and reused but the coil plunger, springs, switch, spoon, yokes (both), and stop were all replaced. This second go-around I decided to buff out the original metal ring since I noticed replacements were a hair larger, preventing me from being able to pass the ring through the playfield like the originals with the removeable legs. I thought maybe that was the problem.
Everything moved clean and easy prior to installing but it started binding again after 50-100 games. Anyone have any tips?

Binding in what way? Are they not coming down? Or are they not going back up? Do they move freely when you move them by hand?

#3710 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I offered the link as a ready reference for all of the Stern pins in order of their production, with a small pic to help you ID which Stern it is

All good no worries, just letting people know that the particular link was dead.

#3711 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Binding in what way? Are they not coming down? Or are they not going back up? Do they move freely when you move them by hand?

They don't come back up after firing. If you flip the flippers it will dislodge it and have it go up.

#3712 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

They don't come back up after firing

What happens if you turn the pin off when they lock up? Do they stay down or come up as soon as you throw the switch?

With your glass off, how do they feel when you touch them when they are locked down?

When you touch them do they come back up freely or do they feel like that are catching on something?

Any chance one of the ring rods is touching the side of the hole in the play field?

I don't know what is wrong buy anything you can do to describe the behavior in detail might help offer a clue. Or it might not.

#3713 3 years ago

Second ups package with destroyed product this week

20200819_121335 (resized).jpg20200819_121335 (resized).jpg
#3714 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

I have shipped a back glass. From what I can see in your pic, that one looks like it was not packed well, at all.

#3715 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

Oh no...

#3716 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

#3717 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

[quoted image]

Bummer...

#3718 3 years ago

Love never dies, but glass sure as hell breaks.

#3719 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have shipped a back glass. From what I can see in your pic, that one looks like it was not packed well, at all.

Correct. Not very well

#3720 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

That would piss me off, and Dracula is not an easy title to find. Was that a BGresto glass.

#3721 3 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

That would piss me off, and Dracula is not an easy title to find. Was that a BGresto glass.

No, just a decent original. it sucks

#3722 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

No, just a decent original. it sucks

Even worse, I have been looking for a decent original Dracula backglass for about 2 years to no avail.

#3723 3 years ago
Quoted from mappy_mouse:

Even worse, I have been looking for a decent original Dracula backglass for about 2 years to no avail.

#3725 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

is memory lane worth picking up?

Not for me. Except for parts.

EDIT: If anybody needs a donor to make a Quicksilver, Seawitch, or Star Gazer, Memory Lane has all you need. It is the smaller transformer but everything else is there. It is the right cabinet, coin door, lockdown bar, and legs. You will need to deal with some minor cab wiring changes.

There are 33 pinsiders who own one. Just 16 want one. And one sold on pinside 4 months ago for $1200.00.

Parts donor.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3726 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

is memory lane worth picking up?

I played one at a tournament. Just an average game.

#3727 3 years ago

Classic Stern aficionados: which is the better playing game, Hot Hand or Pinball ?

#3728 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Classic Stern aficionados: which is the better playing game, Hot Hand or Pinball ?

I haven’t played Hot Hand, but I played “pinball” and it was as boring as Memory Lane.

#3729 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I've played both. Pinball is much better, especially if you can get the EM version.

#3730 3 years ago

I still haven't played a Pinball, but I snagged a Hot Hand a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed it.

#3732 3 years ago

Looking to put my galaxy back together. It was a basket case of odd repairs to keep it going it seemed. From what I think, it should be like this pic. With playfield, a spacer, clear plastic, spacer then plastic with art. Some of the pieces I removed were clear on the pf, spacer, then art plastic. Some where, spacer, clear and art plastics together.

Thoughts?

galaxy spacer post (resized).pnggalaxy spacer post (resized).png

EDIT:
I see from my pic in this post about this. The rear left clear plastic is separate from the art plastic, so the method of my question is for the in-lanes and the GALAXY scoop shot and I bet that is a yes, so I'll do what I thought!

#3733 3 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Hot Hand is a fantastic game

#3734 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Not for me. Except for parts.
EDIT: If anybody needs a donor to make a Quicksilver, Seawitch, or Star Gazer, Memory Lane has all you need. It is the smaller transformer but everything else is there. It is the right cabinet, coin door, lockdown bar, and legs. You will need to deal with some minor cab wiring changes.
There are 33 pinsiders who own one. Just 16 want one. And one sold on pinside 4 months ago for $1200.00.
Parts donor.

Hey, Good to know. I have a Memory Lane in a friends garage. I was going to use a Meteor. I will use the ML for my next Quicksilver and my Meteor for another SG then.

#3735 3 years ago

Anyone have a couple coin mechanisms and a coin box available by chance ?

#3736 3 years ago
Quoted from pfinny:

couple coin mechanisms

What denomination?

#3737 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

What denomination?

Quarters

#3738 3 years ago

My Nine Ball drop target assembly, the big one on the left is a worse for wear. Does any body have an extra NB drop target assembly they would part with?

I could also use a couple of Stern shooter rods with the aluminum pull handle.

Thanks

#3739 3 years ago

What exactly is wrong with the drop target bank from your NB? Might have an easier time fixing yours than finding a replacement, but you never know. Good luck either way!

#3740 3 years ago

Can a replacement catacomb bagatelle ball be purchase anywhere?

#3741 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Can a replacement catacomb bagatelle ball be purchase anywhere?

You want a 1 inch wooden ball.

There are 2 brackets and a wire gate in the bagatelle. Those 2 brackets need to be there. You can't buy them. I can make you the wire gate, though.

https://www.caseyswood.com/shoppingcart/zen-cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=159_157&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4_ept-HQ6wIVh8DACh3w3QP-EAAYASAAEgJMVPD_BwE

#3742 3 years ago

I know this seems to be a common theme lately, I'm looking for a slingshot mech also. Please pm if you have a spare. Did Mantis commit to redoing these?

#3743 3 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

I know this seems to be a common theme lately, I'm looking for a slingshot mech also. Please pm if you have a spare. Did Mantis commit to redoing these?

Not yet. I am still waiting to hear back from him. I don’t want to push.

#3744 3 years ago

Just picked up a Lightning and am having an issue with the flippers. Left upper flipper won’t flip unless both left and right buttons are pushed. Both right flippers and left lower all work fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

#3745 3 years ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Just picked up a Lightning and am having an issue with the flippers. Left upper flipper won’t flip unless both left and right buttons are pushed. Both right flippers and left lower all work fine. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Check for a broken wire. Look closely and thoroughly. Sometimes a broken wire can hide under other parts.

#3746 3 years ago
Quoted from livetowin:

Weird. So if you hold in the left button and then press the right button, the upper left flipper flips?

Could it be some previous owner wired it incorrectly?

#3747 3 years ago

Yes, pressing the left flipper button only flips the bottom left. Right button flips both right flippers. Pushing in left and holding it in and then pressing right makes the top left one flip. Weird is right haha

#3748 3 years ago

My Hot Hand's slingshot fiber link is broken. I thought a Bally plunger/link (left part in the pic) would work but it's too short and the hole in the fiber link is too small (looks like 3/16" diameter on Bally, 1/4" on Stern). Who if anyone has this part? Prefer the plunger and link as one unit but in a pinch I'll replace the roll pin and link.

20200907_104320 (resized).jpg20200907_104320 (resized).jpg
#3749 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Who if anyone has this part?

Pinball resource has the later plastic version on their specials page. Yeah, you have to put the link into your plunger, but that's not really that hard.

#3750 3 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

My Hot Hand's slingshot fiber link is broken. I thought a Bally plunger/link (left part in the pic) would work but it's too short and the hole in the fiber link is too small (looks like 3/16" diameter on Bally, 1/4" on Stern). Who if anyone has this part? Prefer the plunger and link as one unit but in a pinch I'll replace the roll pin and link.
[quoted image]

Did you try a Gottlieb link? Pinball Resource has them

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Machine - For Sale
Des Moines, IA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 42.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 169.00
$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 169.00
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 959.00
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 169.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,746 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/75?hl=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.