229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statictrance.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 5 years ago

Every time I pick up a classic Stern, it really pulls me in and I'm shocked how much I prefer them in the era. I just resurrected a mouse house Big Game and am shocked how quick that game plays. It had a few wear spots and plenty of damage in the bingo card area so I went real heavy on the wax to protect what is there and it flies. Those inlanes having metal instead of rubber just keeps everything moooovin!

Sorry - back on topic, agree with what everyone else was saying. If it's those three specifically, Seawitch is the easiest to find but all of these are painful on the pocket. I'd argue for Quicksilver as my favorite of the three, but I've only been able to play stargazer a few times. $ is my area is similar to the above quoted - I'd say always keep an eye out for a deal but these titles just don't pop up. Seawitch is the only one I've seen pop up in and around a decent radius.

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Agreed on Trident. Especially with the home rom. =)

So... As a guy who is currently babysitting a Trident for a friend - Can you clue me in on the Home ROM?

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Interflip Dragon is a great game....brutal as hell.

BBAAAAAOOOOOOO

<Now back to your regularly scheduled Classic Stern Programming>

#254 5 years ago

*ahem* - to the dude that just bought with a rough PF - Seawitch playfields just went up to CPR for preorder. It's in the measuring interest/boutique area - but I'm sure a +1 wouldn't hurt it

https://classicplayfields.com/preorders/

#270 5 years ago

hey so since this is an all Stern club now - Any more information on those updated Trident ROMs?

1 week later
#325 5 years ago

I mean - you can try to swap them with the machine on... but you're probably going to have a pretty bad day.

1 week later
#418 5 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I love split second. I think it is fun to shoot and hard to earn the multiball.

Of all the times I've screwed around with PAPA's Split Second I never figured out the multi ball. New goal for the PPO in two weeks.

1 week later
#458 5 years ago

wolffcub - Nice job on that restore, but WTF happened to that original playfield? Yikes!

1 week later
#558 5 years ago

Well my buddy bought a house and he'll be taking his Trident that I've been housekeeping for years pretty shortly. I figured it was time to snag another to fill the spot. Always happy to get one you don't see too often (though no official production numbers on IPDB).

Also as noted above with the strange harnesses, when I was unplugging the rectifier I saw the coin door harness is for a Lightning... It must have been total grab whatever works.

20181030_065255 (resized).jpg20181030_065255 (resized).jpg20181030_065325 (resized).jpg20181030_065325 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#653 5 years ago

Hey all - Quick question on this Split Second I'm working on. So the good news is - It was up and working when I got it so now I'm just cleaning it up and working out the kinks. One thing I'm trying to confirm - when I have 2 balls locked up top, and I hit one of the 5 target bank the speech board starts saying 'Hurry, Hurry, Hurry' over and over again. I just wanted to know if that's correct, cause then getting additional (all 5? I swear I had a ball kick with only 4 down...) unlocks one for 2 ball multi ball so it makes sense - but the way it says it over and over makes it sound like a glitch. (then again, it's early 80s speech, so). The only one I'd played before was at Papa, and I don't think it has a working speech board - so I was hoping to make sure that sound was correct.

MB rules for this game are nuts, BTW... either hit the loop for top speed to light inlanes to release balls, complete the 5 bank 4 times to light the lights, make the top targets fast releases one ball, etc... and I may be missing a scenario there. Also - I didn't see anything in the manual - any scoring bonus to having 2-3 balls in play?

Picture included for the hell of it - someone asked to see progress, but it went from just in to up and running, so here it is. Next up is a full tear down/clean and wax, re-rubber, and touch up along the bottom of the glass. There's more paint loss on the playfield than I'd like to see, but I should at least be able to protect it and keep it in mind for a touch up/clear somewhere down the line.

SplitSec.jpgSplitSec.jpg
2 weeks later
#702 5 years ago

+1 to everyone who pointed me in the direction for board replacements in Big Game. These we're pretty easy to install and light years easier than trying to rejigger the original metal brackets with new sockets. Plus, easy access going forward

20181207_143834 (resized).jpg20181207_143834 (resized).jpg
#711 5 years ago

The guy that makes them is a friend of mine and his direct website is below. it was funny - I posted here for a solution, someone said "hey go here" and as soon as I saw the site I had a real "hey, I know that guy" moment.

Anyway... there are a number of boards to help alleviate the old and failing stern bulb holders. He mentioned he may do Split Second if the demand is there (and since I have one he can do the measurements and prototyping on). Not sure it makes sense since they are just individual sockets and can easily be replaced.

https://pinballreplacementparts.com/collections/all?page=3

#715 5 years ago

cottonm4 Next time I talk to him, I'll mention it. He's a pretty busy guy and does this in his spare time, I'm not sure what he has next in his tinkering queue. I would have guessed finding a Catacomb to measure, fit, test, and futz with would be an issue - but PAPA has one and I'm assuming their Cheetah and Nine Ball were measured for those boards. (not like these titles are like an F2K or a WMS Flash, right?).

Tsskinne - I'll let him know there's at least one person that wants a split second board. I haven't gotten too much time to dig under mine due to time constraints and it's about 95% on the money as purchases (just a few lamps and 2-3 dirty switches), but I'm guessing it would be two boards, 1 for 'Split Second' and 1 for the bonus area.

#717 5 years ago

Update... I just got home, fired up a game, and ball one my middle drop target snapped. Guessing I'm digging into the playfield sooner than I thought

4 weeks later
#808 5 years ago

I ran into that trouble shooting an original MPU-200 with Split Second... Was switching the Altek in from a strikes n spares to test some functionality.

Also made the move to Weebly. Great product, better price, and great support. I had some weird sound issues with his MPU that he helped me shoot through

tl;dr - I originally ordered it for a Big Game, but ended up testing it in F2K... there was a trace that wasn't populated that is needed for voice on MPU-200 games, and he offered me full shipping costs to return the board for a new one or to help me do the trace. I said board work was no issue and he returned with detailed pictures/instructions anyone could have followed. Highly recommended, solid dude.

#823 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Is that trace only populated if you tell him it’s for a game with speech? Or was that something in the last that has changed?

From talking to him, it was an older revision MPU board. I guess someone else had the same issue and he had already fixed it in his latest revisions. When he designed the board, he looked at the schematic and didn't see any use for the trace, so it was left off the original design. Since I was getting it for a Big Game that didn't have speech, he sent one of the older boards.

I didn't save the Email off hand and it was a few months ago, so I don't remember which trace it is - but if anyone ever runs into the issue and needs, I can pull my board and look at my trace.

2 weeks later
#955 5 years ago

Just to really prove they did it totally at random...

My Big Game and F2K do not have the side supports
My Trident and Split Second both have side supports.

1 week later
#994 5 years ago

So - my coin doors are in generally OK shape given the player condition of the games - but I bought new front decals for the whopping 3 or 4 bucks they are. Problem is - the original paint is still on there and smudged to hell. Any recommendation of something to pull that off - but not the original door paint?

#1003 5 years ago

There's a Cheetah for sale in Cleveland on FB Marketplace - Playfield is a little planked, but $2,500. Throwing it here cause I know a few people were talking about trying to find one.

#1006 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Link? I cannot find it.

Holy crap I can't find it either. I saw it across three groups this morning when I was getting ready for work - it must have been snatched up that quick.

#1062 5 years ago

Two part epoxy, brush it on religiously from the backside. I had an F14 with 'very' moved inserts... over a year later and they're still mostly flat after a solid wood block/clamp with epoxy from the back. I'll get around to restoring it further down the line, but for a players machine it's worked great.

1 week later
#1123 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Pretty much the only way to break a million.

If you have a good control game - right spinner all day (if it's properly spinning). a perfect spinner shot that hits the 3 bank through the orbit is one of the most satisfying classic Stern shots out there and adds 500/spin each completion.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1195 5 years ago

I am 98% sure the F2k at PAPA has the posts removed as well... I'm trying to remember if the ones above the red circle are removed as well to make it borderline psychotic, or just rubber removed to make it generally unhinged...

I'll take a look next time I'm there if I remember. (and because I want to confirm mine is set the same - Posts removed, above red circles at conservative)

#1202 5 years ago

In 24 hours? Maybe I'm just used to the hyper-competitive Pittsburgh market but anything at a decent price in gone in minutes if not hours. A full day is unheard of!

TSS - What's the skinny on your Big Game PF?

#1235 5 years ago

Exactly - Start setting up the next MB and work those spinners. Like I noted earlier - if you're in MB - get that multiplier up and especially get that right spinner juiced to 2,500 and go crazy.

Also... I wasn't complaining about availability or prices in PA. I know we're lucky to have plenty of games come up within a few hour (or less) distance. But because of the groups and number of people here collecting - anything decently priced is literally gone in minutes. Case in point - a guy put up 3 System 3s for $800 - routed, but working and decent shape. Not bargain basement, but certainly a buyer friendly nice price similar to Brenna's. I called 22 minutes after posting and 2 of the 3 were already spoken for.

Hell, (and I say this as a proud owner) even the $1,000 Street Fighter was gone in under a day.

#1258 5 years ago

Could be standard flippers instead of Stern flippers with the little collar - that'll cause the displaced metal to kind of mushroom out and hold the stupid thing in place...

Like Thrillhouse said - I usually hold underneath on the pawl with one hand, then pull while twisting back and forth above... When it doubt, just smack it from underneath. You'd be hard pressed to do any real damage to a flipper pawl (and if you do, they're like ten bucks to replace).

#1281 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I'm not going to down vote or flame you, but I disagree. I can't stand old Stern games when they have the wrong flippers or flipper bats. I personally love the feel of the old Stern flippers. I rebuilt the ones on Magic and they feel and shoot amazing, I only wish I had done it sooner.

Same - If it's your game, to each their own... but I really, really like the feel of the old Stern flippers. I like the size that's smaller than a Bally but not a skinny as a WMS. I like the function and they seem to last just fine in a home setting once properly rebuilt. And competitively I feel it's important to be able to play a full range of manufacturer/hardware and know those nuances.

That said - Flipping my old Gorgar mechs for Fliptronics only cost me like $30 extra (full mech and coil from PBL vs expensive rebuild kit for that existing garbage design) and is a complete game changer. I'd recommend doing that on any of the older WMS machines that can support it.

2 weeks later
#1388 5 years ago

I have never driven so far, so fast, so nervously. Add another to the classic Stern line up.

This guy bought this thirty years ago and has never opened it. Absolutely shocked to report the original battery was in tact and STILL WORKING.

FB_IMG_1554126485276 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1554126485276 (resized).jpg20190331_221933 (resized).jpg20190331_221933 (resized).jpg
#1396 5 years ago

Jeez that belongs in the worst repairs thread. Woof.

1 week later
#1428 5 years ago

Just a quick update - torn down, wiped down, LED boards installed, and freshly waxed... Playoff hockey and some repair calls will delay the finish a few days, but it's almost there. A few nicks in the paint, but no significant wear areas... I'm not pushing on the ball swirls cause I'm guessing there isn't much original finish left and I don't want to risk it. Still, it's looking really nice for 39 years young and all original.

Only issues with the game - Two lamp board SCRs I need to investigate (5,000 won't light, bottom right loop light is locked in), a display to repair/replace, one insert to expoy, and the coin door service switch was bad. I still can't believe the original battery was attached and not leaking.

20190409_235242 (resized).jpg20190409_235242 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#1505 4 years ago

Ok, any recommendations to fix drop targets issues?

Long story short, I got Seawitch all nicely cleaned, waxed, etc... And in my third game I snapped a target in half. That's fine, I probably should replace them anyway with fresh new ones.

So - I did that, and now some of the targets aren't resetting properly. They will all pop up, but some don't always hang on the ledge. I swear the mech is back together exactly as found and the springs looked to be in ok shape when I checked it.

Is it springs? Is the mech not tight enough? Is it a slight difference between original and PBR remade targets? Any tips on how to fight this?

1 week later
#1552 4 years ago

Green is primary in light, yellow in paint, but it would be chronologically correct that way!

1 year later
#3730 3 years ago

I still haven't played a Pinball, but I snagged a Hot Hand a few weeks ago and have really enjoyed it.

2 months later
#4073 3 years ago

Throwing it out there cause I didn't see it confirmed, but I own a Split Second and the 5 bank there is not memory enabled. (Neither is Hot Hand, but Cotton mentioned that already)

8 months later
#5452 2 years ago

Anyone out there happen to have a 3d print file for a classic Stern start button? Working on bringing a Lectronamo that had some type of resto started on it by someone who has no business doing work on pins. I didn't see them at PBL or PBR, and just bought a printer I'm itching to try out on pin parts.

#5456 2 years ago

Ugh... I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. They sent a defective start button last time I ordered from them, and instead of make a $10 part right on a good sized order; they blamed it on 'shipping issues' and sent me instructions on how to disassemble and flip their crappily printed insert around. That experience on top of their general mark up tends to keep me away unless required. This might be one of those cases though.

To the above - I played a Viper once. Not the best of games, but for rarity and artwork I'd snag one if given the chance. Then again I have like 4-5 classic Sterns on hand most days cause I'm addicted

1 year later
#8084 1 year ago

Anyone happen to have this plastic laying around? <EDIT - Nevermind - got one on the way in 6 whole minutes. thanks all! Leaving the post cause, well... Not often you see one that looks quite like this mess>

I'm working on a poor Meteor that was rescued from a guy getting divorced and had to move the project along. Per him, the whole front was 'bad', so he hacked it off and replaced it. He also had a Bally MPU converted to run Meteor, but the guy he paid didn't do the whole job. (Pic attached for posterity back on legs but roughly as found)

Good news is, I fixed the MPU. I remounted the coin door and the guy's cutout is shockingly accurate (at least accurate enough for this player's condition PF and faded glass I'm saving from becoming a parts machine)

20230306_125427 (resized).jpg20230306_125427 (resized).jpg20230308_095719 (resized).jpg20230308_095719 (resized).jpg

#8087 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Big day for Big Game.
[quoted image]

+1 please. I love my Big Game but the playfield is garbage. I'm all over a new PF.

1 month later
#8532 1 year ago

Z connectors for the win. I doubt I'll ever get through the stock of molex block connectors I bought when I first started out

3 months later
#9332 8 months ago

Well, it certainly isn't my first classic Stern by a long shot... But I have a new nicest/rarest in the mix for a steal of a deal.

(Already fixed the BG lighting too... Now just to replace that one LED board and the right pop bumper light...)

20230817_125923 (resized).jpg20230817_125923 (resized).jpgIMG_20230816_203845_964 (resized).jpgIMG_20230816_203845_964 (resized).jpg
#9368 8 months ago

Does anyone know the best nail to use to nail guides into the siderail?

Looking at my Big Game, it looks like they used (or it was replaced with) a cheap finishing nail... But looking at other games of the time, and Big Game on the rivets where it attaches to metal, they look a little rounder. What do others use to replace siderail nails like this?

2 Big Game pics for reference - as well as a Viking I'm working on that needs completely reattached

20230823_104733 (resized).jpg20230823_104733 (resized).jpg20230823_115908 (resized).jpg20230823_115908 (resized).jpg20230823_120059 (resized).jpg20230823_120059 (resized).jpg
#9370 8 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

HoakyPoaky Did you find a sufficient source and size for those little nails? I am down to literally my last 2 (and I need more!)

Yep - I tried the .15" x 1/2" spiral nails on Marco I figured were for this cause they were the 1/2" length, but that still seems a bit too thick. Was hoping someone had a size or link

#9384 8 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Another option is a drive screw #00 x 3/16, or so
[quoted image]

That drive screw looks exactly like what's there - I'm going to go with these. Thanks!!

#9393 8 months ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Another option is a drive screw #00 x 3/16, or so
[quoted image]

As a quick FYI for others in the group - this was far too small (on a Bally, in fairness). I tried #00 x 1/4 and the head was smaller than the hole in the guides. I'm going to order the next 2 sizes up and see what works out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Buffalo, NY
Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 959.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 169.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider statictrance.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=statictrance and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.