Topic Stats

• 2,346 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by treborlicec
  • Topic is favorited by 101 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 711 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191014_192539908 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191014_182530920 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191014_182350560 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191014_182221491 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191014_182645416 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191014_182756325 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191011_202109796 (resized).jpg
IMG_3771 (1) (resized).png
IMG_2100 (resized).JPG
IMG_2099 (resized).JPG
IMG_2098 (resized).JPG
IMG_2097 (resized).JPG
IMG_2093 (resized).JPG
IMG_2089 (resized).JPG
IMG_2087 (resized).JPG
IMG_2081 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2346 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 47.
#301 1 year ago

Looks like I might be getting a rough f2k in a trade next week to.

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

It’s a lot of fun to me. You have to set it up hard though. If you get over 200k on mine, that’s epic. One thing that I like about Nugent are the rules to light he spinner. If you accidentally fall in the collect bonus holes, it sets you back to 1,000. You can only light the spinner if you reach 10k bonus.
Another thing I love is that you have to nudge to score the most valuable shot in the game (when top rollovers are lit for 9k).
I do understand why a lot of people don’t love it. For me, it’s a lot like Harlem Globetrotters. Very difficult and fast old school addictive pinball.
Another good change is to remove the top most acorn post on the left orbit shot. It’s too tight of a shot from the factory. Removing the top post converts it to a makeable, rewarding shot.

Awsome that's good to hear. I always set my games up very difficult and a good coat of wax.

#303 1 year ago

Love f2k. Hitting multiball is just hard/rare enough to keep it satisfying. It’ll never leave my collection.

#304 1 year ago

I see the thread title has been modified. lol

Here is my favorite of the early Classic Sterns. Price- $350

DSCN5982 (resized).JPG

#305 1 year ago

Good price. I'll take it!

#306 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Good price. I'll take it!

lol. It took buying three more Stars to get that backglass. That one's the keeper.

#307 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How did you repair the "bare wood ditch"? Mine has that problem, too.

I added some extra clear to level out the ditch before the repainting.

#308 1 year ago
Quoted from klr650:

I added some extra clear to level out the ditch before the repainting.

So you did the art work. Cool. I wish I was an artist.

#309 1 year ago

Some thoughts/info on Stern inserts. I am getting ready to send my Quicksilver play field off to the restore guy. I have decided that I want to replace all of the inserts. Some inserts for the classic Sterns are available. Some are not.

Here are some things I found out.

A couple of pinsiders in another post advised me that the Stern style blue triangle inserts are not available and you have to use the blue triangle inserts from Pinball Life. These blue triangle inserts are also available at Pinball Resource.

Opaque red inserts are available from Pinball Resource, but not at Pinball Life.

Clear orange inserts without any starburst stuff are hard to find.

The old Sterns used a pink insert in some places. Pink inserts are impossible to find. But you can buy purple inserts from both Pinball Resource and Pinball Life. I have been fretting about the not-available pink for awhile now. But I decided to order a purple insert. I was pleasantly surprised. The purple look great.

Here is a pic. What do you think? The pink still in the play field is faded and (I assume ) nicotine stained. The pink to the lower left was salvaged from an old Dracula play field that I sanded clean. I was planning to use this salvaged pink insert until I got the purple insert. I think the purple is going to look fantastic.

I also need to decide if I want to replace the white 2X insert with a salvaged white insert or go with a nice shiny new white insert. This is a tougher decision for me.

IMG_8572 (resized).JPGIMG_8573 (resized).JPG

If you need to replace a yellow insert you may need to replace them all because the yellows that you can buy are a different shade of yellow. The one on the left is a salvaged yellow insert. The one on the right in new. You have to look closely to see the color difference.

IMG_8575 (resized).JPG

#310 1 year ago

Earlier in this thread there was a bit of discussion about the gate/flap at the end of the shooter lane on Seawitch, and it inspired me to try making my own 'upgrade' gate. I used a piece of piano wire and a spring. It works surprisingly well. It doesn't reject spinner/orbit shots like the metal flap, it actually works quite well for that shot now. I had also noticed on my game that plenty of plunges would get interfered with by the metal flap...not nearly as often with the new part. Only problem at this point is when the ball goes around the orbit from the left entrance, it hits the tip of the new gate on it's way around. Not a dealbreaker by any means. I'll probably leave it in and continue to experiment with it.

IMG_20180930_102940.jpgIMG_20180930_102946.jpgIMG_20180930_103014.jpg

#311 1 year ago
Quoted from frunch:

Earlier in this thread there was a bit of discussion about the gate/flap at the end of the shooter lane on Seawitch, and it inspired me to try making my own 'upgrade' gate. I used a piece of piano wire and a spring. It works surprisingly well. It doesn't reject spinner/orbit shots like the metal flap, it actually works quite well for that shot now. I had also noticed on my game that plenty of plunges would get interfered with by the metal flap...not nearly as often with the new part. Only problem at this point is when the ball goes around the orbit from the left entrance, it hits the tip of the new gate on it's way around. Not a dealbreaker by any means. I'll probably leave it in and continue to experiment with it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like this. Really like this. You solved my spring problem. Your problem of the ball hitting the new gate is easily solved by making an under cut in the rail so the tip can hide inside of the hole you make.

Next up would be to find the center point of the ball guide's arc and transfer that arc to your gate and it would be one big smooth circle straight to the flipper.

Bravo !!!

#312 1 year ago

Thanks, man! I hope this inspires you to take it to the next level. If you wind up making some, I'd love to buy one from you.

I was considering the same option of cutting into the side rail a bit to get it to rest flush. Figured I'd test it for a bit first to be sure before i make the cut. I'm also considered putting a small shim behind the metal ball guide to even it up with the gate instead of cutting a groove on the side rail. The curve on the gate definitely needs more work as well. Plus it'll need to be relocated a bit--at the moment it's anchored in one of the screw holes from the old metal-flap ball gate.

I'd also like to come up with a different, less visible location for the spring. I suppose the spring tension can also be adjustable, allowing the least resistance to the ball opening it, while closing quickly enough to allow the ball to roll back down the other side of it on a soft plunge.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

#313 1 year ago

You are in the science project phase of what you are working on. But you see the areas that need improvement. It does not get better than that.

I have two thoughts at the moment

1) your lower wire needs to be the same height as an inlane guide if it is not already at that height.

2) The spring....I am thinking maybe a longer spring and anchor it to the outside post the spinner rides on. That would hide it a little bit.

Lots of possibilities here.

It looks like a great prototype.

#314 1 year ago

Careful about shimming the ball guide to match your gate. If the ball guide is out to match your gate then you will have problems with ball slamming into that and you never will get a good launch.

#315 1 year ago

Ah, good point. I'll have to make a notch in the side rail for the gate to rest in once i have a more finished design ready to go. Thanks for your help!

#316 1 year ago

Got my first classic Stern. It is gonna need some love but it will turn out nice. It was in a guys basement for 20 years I was told. Can someone please tell me how to adjust the volume? Thanks

IMG_2426 (resized).JPG
#317 1 year ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the volume? Thanks
[quoted image]

Should be a volume control turning knob by the speaker

#318 1 year ago

Thanks will check now.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Should be a volume control turning knob by the speaker

#319 1 year ago

I have a Stern Catacomb.

The third display was constantly flickering, jumbling up the numbers.

Re-seated a few times and now it does this.

Is it broken? I do have a spare but no point swapping if fault lies elsewhere!

Thanks

IMG_4174 (resized).jpg
#320 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I have a Stern Catacomb.
The third display was constantly flickering, jumbling up the numbers.
Re-seated a few times and now it does this.
Is it broken? I do have a spare but no point swapping if fault lies elsewhere!
Thanks[quoted image]

Swap player 2 and 3 to see if the problem follows the display. If it does, probably need to reflow solder points at the connector.

#321 1 year ago

Thanks - do you mean swap the actual displays or the connectors going into them?

#322 1 year ago

The connectors will probably not be long enough... Just swap displays for players 2 and 3. You do have to unplug them to swap them. They are the exact same part. Oh, and make sure the game is OFF!

#323 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

The connectors will probably not be long enough... Just swap displays for players 2 and 3. You do have to unplug them to swap them. They are the exact same part. Oh, and make sure the game is OFF!

Why does game have to be off? Will do this.

I was able to put connector from display 2 into 3 and display is still garbled. Not had time to swap yet.

Does this mean display 3 is at fault or could it be a board fault - not sure what controls it?

Thanks

#324 1 year ago

Danger danger! High voltage!!

I was able to put connector from display 2 into 3 and display is still garbled. Not had time to swap yet.
Does this mean display 3 is at fault or could it be a board fault - not sure what controls it?

If the issue follows the display, your issue is the display. If it doesn’t, they your issue is elsewhere.

#325 1 year ago

I mean - you can try to swap them with the machine on... but you're probably going to have a pretty bad day.

#326 1 year ago

Someone more experienced can probably explain better, but i think it's a matter of the voltage at the displays getting fed back to the sdu and possiblly the mpu if a display is removed with power on. Never happened to me, but apparently it can make quite a mess of the boards if that happens. Any repair guides I've read have always made it very clear to avoid doing that. As the above posters have suggested, swap the displays with the game off and see if the problem moves with the display.

#327 1 year ago

Does this mean display 3 is at fault or could it be a board fault

YES. On the faulty display, reflow solder onto the pins of the connector.

You do not want to be anywhere near ~180+ volts DC when the game is on.

#328 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

YES. On the faulty display, reflow solder onto the pins of the connector.
You do not want to be anywhere near ~180+ volts DC when the game is on.

Didn't realize voltage was such an issue on these displays.

In hindsight it probably wasn't a good idea to stick my finger onto the display board to press for loose connections while the game was on....

And jiggle the wires to try and see if one was loose....

Thanks everyone for some common sense!

#329 1 year ago

Looks like we need some repro cardboard covers and "high voltage" stickers eh?

#330 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Looks like we need some repro cardboard covers and "high voltage" stickers eh?

You mean like this?

How did I miss it?

In future I will have game off, as my friend just said to me 'don't mess with things you don't understand'!

IMG_4177 (resized).jpg
#331 1 year ago

How did I miss it?

Do you really want to know

#332 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Do you really want to know

I must have seen it!

In my mind, the displays seemed kind of harmless, like bulbs.

#333 1 year ago

I must have seen it!
In my mind, the displays seemed kind of harmless, like bulbs.

Yeah, super high voltage bulbs with friggin plasma inside them. They're closer to a fusion reactor than a light bulb.

I love plasma displays. Hate the idea of replacing them with cool to the touch, low power LCD units. I'll take the warm (k, smokin' hot) glow of an original plasma display every time.

#334 1 year ago

does anyone have any information about playfield overlays for classic Stern?
This guy bigdaddy1 has commissioned to have this Nine Ball overlay done.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/69606

I have asked him nicely, but for some reason he's not sharing. This is a missed opportunity on his part to make some money and sell some overlays.

If anyone has information about obtaining a Nine Ball overlay, please let me know.

#335 1 year ago

Yes those displays pack a punch. Ask me how I know. I've had a Nugent for a few years now. Got it working but no sounds. It's different for sure but not too bad of a game. Still a project to finish later.

#336 1 year ago

Just finishing this one up for those who expressed interest. I have someone with first dibs. PM me for more pics details.

DSC04213 (resized).JPGDSC04216 (resized).JPGDSC04217 (resized).JPGDSC04219 (resized).JPGDSC04223 (resized).JPGDSC04228 (resized).JPG

#337 1 year ago

Hay,DrDave,nice work as always! I sure could use your talents on my classic Stern "Galaxy"I wonder why no one has done a new pf for Galaxy,there are many of them out there!!TAFG still the anchor of my collection:)Good to see your work! Have fun.B safe!!!!

#338 1 year ago

Hey great to hear from you John! Glad the TAFG is doing well too. =)

I have a nice Galaxy mostly populated playfield that I plan on selling locally as it is too expensive to ship. It would be a fantastic candidate to clearcoat as it looks like very low plays on it. Take care and if I make it out to your area anytime. I'd love to come by and say hi and check out the rest of your collection. =)

Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hay,DrDave,nice work as always! I sure could use your talents on my classic Stern "Galaxy"I wonder why no one has done a new pf for Galaxy,there are many of them out there!!TAFG still the anchor of my collection:)Good to see your work! Have fun.B safe!!!!

#339 1 year ago

Would like that very much!! Shasta lake has a lot to offer summer time! Mt.Shasta does skiing year round also!!Have a safe Winter Dave!!!!

#340 1 year ago

A few more pics

DSC04229 (resized).JPGDSC04233 (resized).JPGDSC04234 (resized).JPGDSC04235 (resized).JPG
#341 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Just finishing this one up for those who expressed interest. PM me for more pics details.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Why not post a for sale thread?

#342 1 year ago

Just checking interest. I already have someone with first dibs.

#343 1 year ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Just checking interest. I already have someone with first dibs.

I'm sure plenty of us here are interested, it's a Quicksilver in very nice shape!

So, is the dibs buyer going to purchase the game?

#344 1 year ago

I think there’s a dozen people that want to buy it but only a few people willing to pay the going rate. I’m trying to buy a different Stern that is much harder to find.

Honestly, you should be able to get new Stern money for this very nice old Stern (Quicksilver).

#345 1 year ago

What would be the going rate? Sorry... I should have read your whole post.

#346 1 year ago

$6200 is asking price on it.

#347 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Hmmm?

#348 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Where did you get that number from Mitch? As it certainly wasn't from me.

Perhaps you are thinking of a different QS?

#349 1 year ago

I’m surprised there is no discussion here about the rumor that Beatles will be a reskinned Seawitch.

#350 1 year ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I’m surprised there is no discussion here about the rumor that Beatles will be a reskinned Seawitch.

Rumor mill garbage is filling up enough of Pinside as is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
There are 2346 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 47.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside