IMG_8476 (resized).jpg
IMG_8476 (resized).jpg
IMG_8470 (resized).jpg
IMG_8475 (resized).jpg
20211122_180431 (resized).jpg
20211122_191805 (resized).jpg
Coin_door (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

10 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 121.
#3901 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

If I start a game several are registering incorrectly but I can’t tell what they are registering as. In test I can’t test anything above switch 10 because of how stern diagnostics work. I’ll test hitting the playfield but I do suspect a short somewhere sadly.

I strongly suggest you remove the BRN/W wire at A4-J2-2 and disable the entire string. And then see what happens. If you are still getting erratic scoring then your problem is not on this BRN/W string. If all of your problems go away, then you will have narrowed it down to the BRN/W string of switches.

It very well could be a short. When I installed the 555 lamp board in my Catacomb I wound up with all kinds of problems with the lights in the Bonus/Toast section. I was getting all kinds of erratic lighting. It took awhile to find the problem. Buried under a cluster of play field wiring I had managed to pinch a wire underneath a lamp socket base. It took forever to find it. Once I freed that wire all my problems disappeared.

If I had done what I am suggesting you try, I would have been able to isolate the problem much sooner. All you have to do is remove a .100 connector pin.

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 10.21.42 AM (resized).png

#3902 1 year ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

If you disconnect switch 10 it’s still registering correct? Are the switches provided with the wiring harness or did you have to supply and install them yourself?

I did connect 10 just now and yes still registering. I provided the switches. Bought all new ones from pbl I believe

#3903 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I strongly suggest you remove the BRN/W wire at A4-J2-2 and disable the entire string. And then see what happens. If you are still getting erratic scoring then your problem is not on this BRN/W string. If all of your problems go away, then you will have narrowed it down to the BRN/W string of switches.
It very well could be a short. When I installed the 555 lamp board in may Catacomb I wound up with all kinds of problems with the lights in the Bonus/Toast section. I was getting all kinds of erratic lighting. It took awhile to find the problem. Buried under a cluster of play field wiring I had managed to pinch a wire underneath a lamp socket base. It took forever to find it. Once I freed that wire all my problems disappeared.
If I had done what I am suggesting you try, I would have been able to isolate the problem much sooner. All you have to do is remove a .100 connector pin.
[quoted image]

Thanks I’ll give it a shot

#3904 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Thanks I’ll give it a shot

You have nothing to lose.

#3905 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You have nothing to lose.

Okay tried it. Now game says 18 is stuck. All coin door switches and tilt switch below that register correctly except the start button. When I press that button it scrolls through switches 2-3-6. Left spinner registers as 2. Center spinner as 17. Right spinner as 2. Nothing else registers.

#3906 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Okay tried it. Now game says 18 is stuck. All coin door switches and tilt switch below that register correctly except the start button. When I press that button it scrolls through switches 2-3-6. Left spinner registers as 2. Center spinner as 17. Right spinner as 2. Nothing else registers.

Are you still getting the erratic scoring?

Can you start a game?

Oops. I guess not if the start button does not work.

#3907 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

When I press that button it scrolls through switches 2-3-6. Left spinner registers as 2. Center spinner as 17. Right spinner as 2. Nothing else registers.

How did 2-3-6 turn into 2-3-2?

The SG matrix you included shows 17 as being a stand up target. Correct?

And 6 is the credit/start button. Correct?

2 says center chute. Correct?

3 is right chute. Correct?

Why the credit/start button scrolls through 2-3-6 sounds strange.

#3908 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Sounds like there's a diode shorted or backwards.

#3909 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

Sounds like there's a diode shorted or backwards.

Exactly my thoughts. Shorted/reversed diode and the whole matrix is off wack. Were the diodes put on the switches by you or from PBL? Could have the wrong wire on the wrong lugs possibly.

#3910 1 year ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Exactly my thoughts. Shorted/reversed diode and the whole matrix is off wack. Were the diodes put on the switches by you or from PBL? Could have the wrong wire on the wrong lugs possibly.

Diodes on stand ups from factory. All other wiring me. I’ll be pulling the playfield and going back through it all. ...so close

#3911 1 year ago

Also don’t know if this helps or not but just realized on boot up 09 is displayed on player one display. The rest say 00. I’m using a Nvram.weebly board set on the whole machine, née harness from Shawn. Also I don’t see the coin door switches on the matrix. I’m wondering if I have something on there missing a diode or something.

400E7B68-6F22-4942-AE88-E7A57775798F (resized).jpeg
#3912 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Diodes on stand ups from factory. All other wiring me. I’ll be pulling the playfield and going back through it all. ...so close

Do not trust a factory installation.

The coin door switches are on a separate page of the drawings.

#3913 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Also don’t know if this helps or not but just realized on boot up 09 is displayed on player one display. The rest say 00. I’m using a Nvram.weebly board set on the whole machine, née harness from Shawn. Also I don’t see the coin door switches on the matrix. I’m wondering if I have something on there missing a diode or something.
[quoted image]

Which software version do you have in your game?
09 is a version of Oliver Okaegi files.
Adjusted rules and Freeplay.
Once you play a game it does not show anymore until reboot.

#3914 1 year ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Which software version do you have in your game?
09 is a version of Oliver Okaegi files.
Adjusted rules and Freeplay.
Once you play a game it does not show anymore until reboot.

yep i have dipswitches set to oliver's version

#3915 1 year ago

Ordered wolffpac displays for galaxy and just a couple things to finish so I can button it up!

Question about galaxy. When shooting rhat upper left loop to the kicker, when the ball does go up, it can rattle at the top and bounce back out before going to the kicker... normal or should I adjust that middle guide plastic out

#3916 1 year ago

So I’ll work on Star Gazer more this week, but oddly discovered this weird bit of info about my Dragonfist the other night and forgot to share it.

So here is my Dragonfist cabinet to the human eye. 908F11A0-8C3C-4F66-8E1A-060C3F54F447 (resized).jpeg7F570238-ACEB-47EF-AD75-492B1B1FA247 (resized).jpeg

And here is my Dragonfist cabinet when my new Wyze security camera looks at the cabinet under night vision mode.E965C8BB-37FF-47FF-B79A-7FAFFAF06A61 (resized).png33DF71C9-A6BB-4E8D-A240-1F66A5B0B759 (resized).png5B137FDF-FD24-4F60-9858-BFF8ABD54117 (resized).pngDBD0A43E-D447-444A-9B32-73E284AA393C (resized).png

So holy shit kinda made me jump when I just turned on the camera to check on the dogs late from work the other night. So weird that I can’t see it at all under normal lighting conditions. Obviously at some point it was a Catacomb cabinet, anyone able to explain the science behind why the night vision can see it?

#3917 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

And here is my Dragonfist cabinet when my new Wyze security camera looks at the cabinet under night vision mode.
Obviously at some point it was a Catacomb cabinet

Wowee

#3918 1 year ago

Yeah made me jump a little as I was moving the camera side ways following the dog haha

#3919 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yeah made me jump a little as I was moving the camera side ways following the dog haha

It must be something with the infrared LEDs on the camera. Can you see the Catacomb image when looking directly at the cabinet (not looking at the camera image) when the camera's pointing at it?

#3920 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

So I’ll work on Star Gazer more this week, but oddly discovered this weird bit of info about my Dragonfist the other night and forgot to share it.
So here is my Dragonfist cabinet to the human eye. [quoted image][quoted image]
And here is my Dragonfist cabinet when my new Wyze security camera looks at the cabinet under night vision mode.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
So holy shit kinda made me jump when I just turned on the camera to check on the dogs late from work the other night. So weird that I can’t see it at all under normal lighting conditions. Obviously at some point it was a Catacomb cabinet, anyone able to explain the science behind why the night vision can see it?

That's the special Dragonfist "Toast Edition". LOL

#3921 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

And here is my Dragonfist cabinet when my new Wyze security camera looks at the cabinet under night vision mode.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Interesting. I think someone else had a pin with Catacomb underneath but it was not a Dragonfist iirc.

I wonder if a coat of primer was applied before the theme was repainted?

#3922 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I wonder if a coat of primer was applied before the theme was repainted?

Probably lucky if they even sanded it before respraying!

#3923 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

It must be something with the infrared LEDs on the camera. Can you see the Catacomb image when looking directly at the cabinet (not looking at the camera image) when the camera's pointing at it?

Can’t see it at all. Owned the game for a few years and had no clue.

#3924 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

discovered this weird bit of info about my Dragonfist the other night and forgot to share it.

Dude thats crazy that you can see it in infrared. wait maybe its ghosts?

#3925 1 year ago

It's got to be the UV can go through the Blue and then illuminates the Black below. I build chips that go Into IR devices and we have the capability to go through skin and see internal organs and specifically veins really well.

#3926 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

That's wild!

The head of my Dragonfist appears to have started as a Catacomb as well. Only discovered through sanding, would have considered leaving had I discovered what you did. Base cabinet didn't have the green underneath.

IMG_20190719_131144 (resized).jpgIMG_20190730_213245 (resized).jpg
#3927 1 year ago
Quoted from Pingball:

That's wild!
The head of my Dragonfist appears to have started as a Catacomb as well. Only discovered through sanding, would have considered leaving had I discovered what you did. Base cabinet didn't have the green underneath.[quoted image][quoted image]

I checked it on the head and the head looks normal.

#3928 1 year ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I checked it on the head and the head looks normal.

I am going to be restoring my Dragonfist cab soon. I am interested in what cab I have .

#3929 1 year ago

Any chance someone can confirm which transformer this is? It has 37-7932 labelled on the side. That’s the only detail, nothing showing on top.

EE554B3A-1E6F-49F4-B431-843C50575E70 (resized).jpeg

#3930 1 year ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Any chance someone confirm which transformer this is? It has 37-9732 labelled on the side. That’s the only detail, nothing showing on top.
[quoted image]

Stand it up and take another picture showing how large the coil windings are. If I can see a top-down view showing how far the windings protrude from the metal casing then I can tell you what you have.

Also, how large is it? Your pic offers no relationship for size. I am away from home and cannot look to see how it compares in size to the rectifier board.

The 16B-6 measures approximately 5 inches wide and the 16B-3 measures approximately 4 1/4 inches wide.

#3931 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Stand it up and take another picture showing how large the coil windings are. If I can see a top-down view showing how far the windings protrude from the metal casing then I can tell you what you have.
Also, how large is it? Your pic offers no relationship for size. I am away from home and cannot look to see how it compares in size to the rectifier board.
The 16B-6 measures approximately 5 inches wide and the 16B-3 measures approximately 4 1/4 inches wide.

Thanks Cotton, the pic was sent to me from a spare parts supplier. I’ll get those details and get back to you. Thanks!!

#3932 1 year ago

By the numbering on the top row, it looks to be a 16B-6 and it's setup for 120V

Compare the top row numbers to your 16B-3

#3933 1 year ago

Here are some transformer pics.

There's quite a size difference.

IMG_2355 (resized).JPG

The 16B-3 measures 4 1/2 inches across. The rectifier board measures 5 inches across.

The number printed on the coil wrap is 37-7918. The one Flinnyfalcon put up is 37-7932.

IMG_4676 (resized).JPG

The 16B-6 measures 5 1/4 inches across. You can compare the rectifier board width to both transformers and see the difference.

The part number on the coil wrap is 37-8027

IMG_4678 (resized).JPG

The -3 measures 3 3/4 inched high. The -6 measures 4 3/8 inches high.

IMG_4680 (resized).JPG

I have no idea how Stern marked the coil wrap and what it signifies.

But I'll take a wild ass guess that the 37-7918 might be called the 7900 series. And the 37-8067 would be the 8000 series. As noted, I have no idea but will guess the larger -6 is going to be 8??? something.

#3934 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

but will guess the larger -6 is going to be 8??? something.

not a bad guess, i got 2 -6 that are 8027 and 8014

20201010_135514 (resized).jpg

#3935 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

not a bad guess, i got 2 -6 that are 8027 and 8014
[quoted image]

Are you hoarding transformers ?

I’ll have to check my stash and see what the numbers are.

#3936 1 year ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

By the numbering on the top row, it looks to be a 16B-6 and it's setup for 120V
Compare the top row numbers to your 16B-3

What makes you believe it’s 120v?

#3937 1 year ago

What makes you believe it’s 120v?

D'OH Forgot about 220, I was simply looking at the yellow wire

#3938 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are you hoarding transformers ?

if you know how far these came from... a different hemisphere!

#3939 1 year ago

Real quick question my pinball friends. Could one of you pm me the procedure to break down a seawitch? I have never bought a classic stern game before. First one. So I just want to be prepared with tools to transport it. Most importantly how to disconnect the head from the body? All my games are newer games. Thank you jeremy

#3940 1 year ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

D'OH Forgot about 220, I was simply looking at the yellow wire

Is input voltage determinable by visual inspection?

#3941 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have no idea how Stern marked the coil wrap and what it signifies.

But I'll take a wild ass guess that the 37-7918 might be called the 7900 series. And the 37-8067 would be the 8000 series. As noted, I have no idea but will guess the larger -6 is going to be 8??? something.

Two digits are for the year of manufacture, the other two I think are week number of the year. Lots of semiconductors have this 4 digit date coding system.

-7918 manufactured 1979, the 18th week
-8067 manufactured 1980, you first mentioned this was 8027 so I presume it's a typo
-8027 manufactured 1980, the 27th week
-8014 manufactured 1980, the 14th week
-7932 manufactured 1979, the 32nd week, just before Meteor came out so it could be a 16B-6 made in readiness for Meteor.

#3942 1 year ago

Is input voltage determinable by visual inspection?

Normally I would say to check the manual, but in this case the online QuickSilver manual incorrectly has the 16B-3 transformer :-/

From another MPU-200 game manual: Your transformer picture above shows it's wired for 240V

Transformer_16B-6(1).png

#3943 1 year ago

The 16B-3 does not have a number "13" connection lug, only goes up to number 12 lug, where the 16B-6 has a number 13 lug (& higher), wouldn't this determine it as a 16B-6? (similar thing may have been mentioned before)
transformer (resized).jpg

#3944 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

The 16B-3 does not have a number "13" connection lug, only goes up to number 12 lug, where the 16B-6 has a number 13 lug (& higher), wouldn't this determine it as a 16B-6? (similar thing may have been mentioned before)
[quoted image]

What about the -8 transformer. I can’t find any info on it, but I’ve seen a couple of photos. There is also one for sale on eBay.

#3945 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

[quoted image]

Nice detective work, what you’ve said looks correct.

#3946 1 year ago

What about the -8 transformer. I can’t find any info on it, but I’ve seen a couple of photos. There is also one for sale on eBay.

Yeah, their is no info on the -8 anywhere. As it has a connector maybe is was used in an Stern arcade game & not a pinball.

#3947 1 year ago

Nice detective work, what you’ve said looks correct.

You did well finding that! & in a short time. Wish I could find a QS! keep looking...

#3948 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

You did well finding that! & in a short time. Wish I could find a QS! keep looking...

Fingers crossed it turns out to be correct. The price he wants for it is a killer, but is anything cheap in pinball?!

My Quicksilver find was pure random luck, seems like making your own is the best option these days.

#3949 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Yeah, their is no info on the -8 anywhere. As it has a connector maybe is was used in an Stern arcade game & not a pinball.

Yep, was thinking the same.

#3950 1 year ago

Fingers crossed it turns out to be correct. The price he wants for it is a killer, but is anything cheap in pinball?!

My Quicksilver find was pure random luck, seems like making your own is the best option these days.

Nope, anything part that is a bit harder to find is never cheap anymore, I think you are lucky to find one at any price it seems. Yep, making one is plan B.

There are 6,019 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 121.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside