20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 215.
#3551 3 years ago

Kerry at Mantis has received the Stern sling shot lever that I sent him. He is aware. We wait.

#3552 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Kerry at Mantis has received the Stern sling shot lever that I sent him. He is aware. We wait.

Are there other/more parts we can try to get repro'd as well? They may not sell thousands, but with the popularity increase, now is a good time to ask and try!

#3553 3 years ago

Anyone have or know where I can find a replacement coin door for a Seawitch? To be clear, can be NOS. Thanks!

#3554 3 years ago

This is the Galaxy I just Sold. It was upgraded to 7 digits, all new clear plastics, MPU200 flipper style and the coveted S-plastic. You can see the changes in post layout to make it much more difficult and with the butter inlanes it makes it flow like magic.

20200726_111454 (resized).jpg20200726_111454 (resized).jpg
#3555 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Are there other/more parts we can try to get repro'd as well? They may not sell thousands, but with the popularity increase, now is a good time to ask and try!

Sure. The trick is getting enough people on board to make it worthwhile. I was working on possibly getting some brackets for Catacomb. At most, there were”commitments” for 10. This COVID hit and it all went up in smoke.

#3556 3 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

The displays are in different locations so he’ll have to make a light board and he might have to lengthen the display wiring harness.
Do they both use the two sound board set up?

Quoted from woody76:

yea the credit and ball displays are for sure in different spots. I might could just cut a new light board. I think all the boards are the same.

The displays position between Big Game and F2K are similar. BG has the credit display up top while Fk2 is down low.

IMG_4172 (resized).JPGIMG_4172 (resized).JPGIMG_4171 (resized).JPGIMG_4171 (resized).JPG

But there is enough extra wire in the F2K harness that it will work on BG without issue.

This is the F2K back rack harness at the credit display.

IMG_4166 (resized).JPGIMG_4166 (resized).JPG

Here is the same credit display wiring lifted up. There is enough wire there that the F2K back rack harness will sub for a BG harness with out issue.

IMG_4169 (resized).JPGIMG_4169 (resized).JPG

There is also enough wire for displays #2 and #4 that they can be moved around and also work on a Catacomb. I will assume the F2K harness will also work for Nine Ball and Seawitch but I have those 2 pins folded up right now and cannot verify.

IMG_4170 (resized).JPGIMG_4170 (resized).JPG

#3557 3 years ago

A fellow pinsider got me a replacement kicker arm for my galaxy, but after installing I realized the fiber joint section was odd and it wasn’t moving nicely.... are there ways to cut/template or replacement parts?

Right side with issue
26C99CD5-020C-4142-9598-E7A4CEC92E16 (resized).jpeg26C99CD5-020C-4142-9598-E7A4CEC92E16 (resized).jpeg

Left side without issue
82A207C8-54F9-42CA-B2E0-2DD0959F3006 (resized).jpeg82A207C8-54F9-42CA-B2E0-2DD0959F3006 (resized).jpeg

Edit: not sure what “stock” should be but the right side looks like the fiber was installed backward...and now it is kind of messed up

#3558 3 years ago

The the bakelite piece out and see what's binding. The plunger fingers probably just need to be spread out a tad if they're pinching it. Or just might need cleaning on the pivot points.

#3559 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

The the bakelite piece out and see what's binding. The plunger fingers probably just need to be spread out a tad if they're pinching it. Or just might need cleaning on the pivot points.

It looks like the fiber or Bakelite piece is backwards, so the flat side is on the pf side and the plunger comes out too far, at least that’s what it feels and looks like. It even may be that some broke off on that side...

#3560 3 years ago

Yeah on closer look the tip of the bakelite piece came off. Getting a whole new plunger might be easiest but I think you might be able to get just the bakelite from PBR.

#3561 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Yeah on closer look the tip of the bakelite piece came off. Getting a whole new plunger might be easiest but I think you might be able to get just the bakelite from PBR.

Yeah, I think you're right, the back side looks broke.

PBR sells the material in a strip to cut your own:
p/n: MAT-LINK @ http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

PBL sells plunger w/links but is it the same as a stern flipper or williams one?
https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-plunger-link-assembly.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=plunger%20and%20link

#3562 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, I think you're right, the back side looks broke.
PBR sells the material in a strip to cut your own:
p/n: MAT-LINK @ http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html
PBL sells plunger w/links but is it the same as a stern flipper or williams one?
https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-stern-plunger-link-assembly.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/search.html?Search=plunger%20and%20link

Just buy a pair. Make sure you get the right length.

https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-18-plunger.html

https://www.pinballlife.com/slingshotballshooter-plunger-and-link-2-plunger.html

#3563 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

A fellow pinsider got me a replacement kicker arm for my galaxy, but after installing I realized the fiber joint section was odd and it wasn’t moving nicely.... are there ways to cut/template or replacement parts?
Right side with issue
[quoted image]
Left side without issue
[quoted image]
Edit: not sure what “stock” should be but the right side looks like the fiber was installed backward...and now it is kind of messed up

Your fiber is not installed backwards. The lever was not installed at optimum position at the factory. The lever and bracket have been install too bar inboard. The pivot point for the lever/fiber is way beyond the the axis of the plunger.

1) Reposition the lever bracket so the pivot point is directly under the plunger axis. You will get mush smoother plunger action

2) And get rid of that silly spring washer. It does not work like it is supposed to. You don't need it.

2f660c2f982f74a4c8efdb21d0c92ab05f186c66.jpeg (resized).jpg2f660c2f982f74a4c8efdb21d0c92ab05f186c66.jpeg (resized).jpg

#3564 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And get rid of that silly spring washer. It does not work like it is supposed to. You don't need it.

I remember those, and removing them all!!

#3565 3 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

...and the coveted S-plastic.

...and with the butter inlanes it makes it flow like magic.

you shoud be in marketing!

#3566 3 years ago

This is the Galaxy I just Sold. It was upgraded to 7 digits, all new clear plastics, MPU200 flipper style and the coveted S-plastic. You can see the changes in post layout to make it much more difficult and with the butter inlanes it makes it flow like magic.
[quoted image]

What is the S-plastic?

#3567 3 years ago

I've never heard of "butter" inlanes. I assume those are the replacement plastic guides that lead closer to the flipper?

#3568 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Your fiber is not installed backwards. The lever was not installed at optimum position at the factory. The lever and bracket have been install too bar inboard. The pivot point for the lever/fiber is way beyond the the axis of the plunger.
1) Reposition the lever bracket so the pivot point is directly under the plunger axis. You will get mush smoother plunger action
2) And get rid of that silly spring washer. It does not work like it is supposed to. You don't need it.
[quoted image]

The right side is the one I thought may be backward at first...but after comments and looking more. It seems broken. That left side one you quoted the pic of, yes, the E clip is missing and it does look off doesn't it. I'll back off the pivot and then align it straight! Thank you

I measured the plungers and they were 2-1/8". I'll order those for both kickers as the left one that is not broke, has some wear that may break it soon.

#3569 3 years ago
Quoted from jahbarron:

you shoud be in marketing!

Exactly. The ball flow's without bounce onto the flipper and then you can hammer the spinner but also the right feed up to the saucer. LMAO!!! The game works as designed. The orbit and the right side up to the top.

#3570 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

What is the S-plastic?

If you look at the Galaxy playfield you can see a plastic that is formed to block the ball from going up into the left corner. By the collect Galaxy loop. We also have designed these for Seawitch on the left flipper to not thrash that plastic. We don't sell these yet.

DSCN0220 (resized).jpgDSCN0220 (resized).jpg

#3571 3 years ago

If you look at the Galaxy playfield you can see a plastic that is formed to block the ball from going up into the left corner. By the collect Galaxy loop. We also have designed these for Seawitch on the left flipper to not thrash that plastic. We don't sell these yet.
[quoted image]

ahhhhh, now when i look closer I can see what you are referring to. I circled them in orange, in the attached pic. You going to sell those S blocker things? I ordered a new set of plastics, wonder if the new clear protector near the flippers extends to the flipper.....

galaxy (resized).jpggalaxy (resized).jpg
#3572 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I remember those, and removing them all!!

The spring washer is so the spring doesn't drive into the fiber link and cut into it. It does help in that regard especially in a coin op environment. Maybe not in a home environment. I've seen where the spring gets jammed into the fiber link without. Cause weird behavior. What is the problem with leaving ?

#3573 3 years ago

The spring washer is so the spring doesn't drive into the fiber link and cut into it. It does help in that regard especially in a coin op environment. Maybe not in a home environment. I've seen where the spring gets jammed into the fiber link without. Cause weird behavior. What is the problem with leaving ?

All mine have the plastic link on them instead of the fiber one.

#3574 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I'll order those for both kickers as the left one that is not broke

And now the ordering parts process begins. Lemme see, I don't want to pay $9.00 shipping for two $3.00 parts. So I will order some more stuff to spread the shipping cost. Oops. I just placed my order and I forgot to order this other part, too. I'll need to make another order. Lemme see, what else do I need....

Quoted from northvibe:

I'll back off the pivot and then align it straight! Thank you

Do it this way: Have your sling shot parts up to snuff with all working smoothly. Then move that kicker bracket around and manually operate the kicker and plunger. You will find a sweet spot where the kicker, plunger and link work smoothly at full travel. That's where you want to be. Do all of this with out that washer. Then put the washer back on if you wish.

#3575 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

All mine have the plastic link on them instead of the fiber one.

Oh. Yea, I think all of the games past like Big Game went to Plastic. They probably kept with the washer. I will be looking.

#3576 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And now the ordering parts process begins. Lemme see, I don't want to pay $9.00 shipping for two $3.00 parts. So I will order some more stuff to spread the shipping cost. Oops. I just placed my order and I forgot to order this other part, too. I'll need to make another order. Lemme see, what else do I need....

Do it this way: Have your sling shot parts up to snuff with all working smoothly. Then move that kicker bracket around and manually operate the kicker and plunger. You will find a sweet spot where the kicker, plunger and link work smoothly at full travel. That's where you want to be. Do all of this with out that washer. Then put the washer back on if you wish.

LOL. I'm already on my 3rd or 4th order between PBR, PBL and Marco for parts...one of those. I should just need these, then that i just the top side, now the underside needs this...then you get deeper, ohhhh I need more... yup. probably paying more in shipping than I paid for the game :-p Um not too bad but PBL doesn't do USPS atm so fedex/ups is minimum $15 shipping :/ sooooo mind as well order up as much stuff.

#3577 3 years ago

Oh. Yea, I think all of the games past like Big Game went to Plastic. They probably kept with the washer. I will be looking.

I reassembled my Freefall in stock form. It does not have the washers.

A9A82C15-CA14-4AC8-97A1-43DEB137A239 (resized).jpegA9A82C15-CA14-4AC8-97A1-43DEB137A239 (resized).jpeg
#3578 3 years ago

[quoted image]

I get the S plastic. And the in-lane plastics stop the ball from bouncing over. Does anyone have the drawings for these mods? What is MPU 200 flipper style?

#3579 3 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

I get the S plastic. And the in-lane plastics stop the ball from bouncing over. Does anyone have the drawings for these mods? What is MPU 200 flipper style?

This is the MPU 200 style flipper assembly. I cannot find a link to the MPU-100 style flipper assembly.

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

stn_assembly_300x256 (resized).jpgstn_assembly_300x256 (resized).jpg

#3580 3 years ago

MPU200 style should really be called offset 2nd generation instead, as the first games did not have this style (meteor, galaxy, ali). Sometime during the production of Big Game it changed from the flat Chicago coin 1st gen style to the offset style pictured.

#3581 3 years ago

D

Quoted from SR230CC:

Sorry haven't gotten back with you but what Cotton ; slochar said above. Now you can replace only the link, paw and make sure you use a plastic flipper for less weight in the MPU100 assembly and keep the old spring if it's loose. All the new springs do is add bounce with the new flipper links cause they are typically to strong of a "K" value. use old springs if you can. This will maximize flipper power along with changing the coil to an S450. Just make sure the flipper plate is firm on the field. I always fill in the holes with a dowel on all my restored games and retap every flipper plate screw so it's firm. This ensures solid performance over the life you will have the game.

For post configurations look at the field. The 2 feeding the flipper use larger diameter. So it's hard to go down X,Y the outpost is a black nub you use to hold on plastics. Force that over the post. This creates a rigid outlane post but doesn't metal on metal the ball. this make the game hard. Also the lane guide remove the solid edge into the center of the field. This helps create an extra hard game.

The 7 digit ROMS are on IPDB I think. You have to add 1 wire to the harness

#3582 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

MPU200 style should really be called offset 2nd generation instead, as the first games did not have this style (meteor, galaxy, ali). Sometime during the production of Big Game it changed from the flat Chicago coin 1st gen style to the offset style pictured.

Yep, I have a big game with offset and a populated playfield with 1st gen.

#3583 3 years ago

D

Sorry haven't gotten back with you but what Cotton ; slochar said above. Now you can replace only the link, paw and make sure you use a plastic flipper for less weight in the MPU100 assembly and keep the old spring if it's loose. All the new springs do is add bounce with the new flipper links cause they are typically to strong of a "K" value. use old springs if you can. This will maximize flipper power along with changing the coil to an S450. Just make sure the flipper plate is firm on the field. I always fill in the holes with a dowel on all my restored games and retap every flipper plate screw so it's firm. This ensures solid performance over the life you will have the game.
For post configurations look at the field. The 2 feeding the flipper use larger diameter. So it's hard to go down X,Y the outpost is a black nub you use to hold on plastics. Force that over the post. This creates a rigid outlane post but doesn't metal on metal the ball. this make the game hard. Also the lane guide remove the solid edge into the center of the field. This helps create an extra hard game.
The 7 digit ROMS are on IPDB I think. You have to add 1 wire to the harness

I have mine setup this way. I think I need to have 2 levels for my in-lane plastics. I had the bigger rubber to make the X and Y harder but changed it back for guests to play. I will check out what flipper assemblies I have.

83A41562-D7B6-454F-898E-DC2F680DDE12 (resized).jpeg83A41562-D7B6-454F-898E-DC2F680DDE12 (resized).jpeg
#3584 3 years ago
Quoted from SR230CC:

I have mine setup this way. I think I need to have 2 levels for my in-lane plastics. I had the bigger rubber to make the X and Y harder but changed it back for guests to play. I will check out what flipper assemblies I have.
[quoted image]

Yea, Having that set up makes the game really easy to feed the flipper lanes. You can add in larger white rubbers and shave off the solid edge on the lane guide and add a larger rubber where the lane guide is. You want the X,Y such that you have to bump to make and set the tilt such that it's not easy. The outlane post then gets the black rubber. Need white to make it very challenging.

#3585 3 years ago

Should I do it?

6,301 Flight 2000's were produced.

1,223 Cheetahs were produced.

All I need to do is get this Cheetah play field restored, buy a BG Resto Cheetah back glass, and build a Cheetah lamp board. Lamp boards can be made easy to swap.

1) Swap lamp boards

2) Swap MPUs

3) Put the Cheetah back glass in

4) Restore the play field

And BOOM. An F2K turns into a Cheetah---with a blue cabinet.

IMG_4184 (resized).JPGIMG_4184 (resized).JPG

IMG_4186 (resized).JPGIMG_4186 (resized).JPG

#3586 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Should I do it?
All I need to do is get this Cheetah play field restored, buy a BG Resto Cheetah back glass, and build a Cheetah lamp board. Lamp boards can be made easy to swap.
1) Swap lamp boards
2) Swap MPUs
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Tough call, both awesome games. But I’d go for it!!

#3587 3 years ago

Anyone else got big game In lanes that look like this

AB336466-3AAC-4034-8A7C-EE26E8D60838 (resized).pngAB336466-3AAC-4034-8A7C-EE26E8D60838 (resized).png
#3588 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

[quoted image]

I did not see what you were talking about at first. This BG has those little brackets in the sides that someone talked a couple of weeks ago about those brackets showing up on a sales flyer.

Can you give us some close up shots, please?

#3589 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I did not see what you were talking about at first. This BG has those little brackets in the sides that someone talked a couple of weeks ago about those brackets showing up on a sales flyer.
Can you give us some close up shots, please?

Yeah driving home with it now I’ll photograph shortly

#3590 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Should I do it?
1) Swap lamp boards
2) Swap MPUs
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Yes, Turn it. There's ton's of F2k's. I've parted a bunch before parts were available to restore.

DSCF8958 (resized).JPGDSCF8958 (resized).JPG
#3591 3 years ago

Yes, Turn it. There's ton's of F2k's. I've parted a bunch before parts were available to restore.
[quoted image]

Well, it looks I am going to plan to bring Keith a Cheetah play field shortly. It was populated play field when I bought it. I have the wiring and everything to put this play field back together.

#3592 3 years ago

Hey, Make sure you plan on heading this way and stop by if you go to Keiths.

#3593 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, it looks I am going to plan to bring Keith a Cheetah play field shortly. It was populated play field when I bought it. I have the wiring and everything to put this play field back together.

I was going to say... the PF harness, 5 banks drop target would be a challenge to get if it was an unpopulated PF Who are you using for PF resto?

#3594 3 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

I was going to say... the PF harness, 5 banks drop target would be a challenge to get if it was an unpopulated PF Who are you using for PF resto?

we use Keith Holbrook, he has done complete games and playfields for me and does really nice work.

#3595 3 years ago

Cottonm4
What do you plan to do with the F2k playfield. I bought one and the field is somewhat beat.

#3596 3 years ago

Hey, Make sure you plan on heading this way and stop by if you go to Keiths.

Thank you. You saved me from inviting myself . I'm waiting to hear back to see when is a good time to bring the play field down.

#3597 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperFanatic:

Cottonm4
What do you plan to do with the F2k playfield. I bought one and the field is somewhat beat.

I have not thought that far ahead. Send me a PM and so we can shake hands. You can have 1st dibs if I do this.

#3598 3 years ago

Adding to the weird question... anyone know a good replacement for the spring holding both metal piece together of hole kickout? Like in Ali, Nine ball, etc... I looked through the 2 Stern parts manuals but i could not find that assembly, nor did any springs from my random stock matched.

It is pretty sick and hard, about 1 inch long.

20200807_174752 (resized).jpg20200807_174752 (resized).jpg

#3599 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

[quoted image]

my working BG does not, but I just checked my extra populated BG playfield i got and it has these.

#3600 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

[quoted image]

One other thing I would like to hear about with this pin. When I bought my BG Resto repro Big Game back glass he sent me one made of 3/16" thick glass and claimed this is what his Big Game had.

I have owned 2 Big Games and I have several other classic Sterns and I have talked to pinside BG owners but no one has a 3/16" back glass. So I am curious what the glass on this one is like.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ali
Poolville, TX
$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 169.00
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 72 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.