229391849964f82d3332d2d885e9b99981792afa (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_6864620_0 (resized).jpg
20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #227 Various gate tips. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #269 Hi quality thoughts from Cotton about inlanes. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #279 Playfield touch up tips. Posted by klr650 (5 years ago)

Post #309 Stern inserts suggestions. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #310 Seawitch gate flap solution. Posted by frunch (5 years ago)

Post #1033 Bally drop targets on the classic stern, even mix and match. Posted by cottonm4 (5 years ago)

Post #1958 Star Gazer podcast episode link. Posted by DRDAVE (4 years ago)

Post #2587 Link to 3D printed parts available from HHaase. Posted by HHaase (4 years ago)

Post #2590 Link to 3D printed parts by Swinks, available at Shapeways. Posted by swinks (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

What impedes that right orbit shot is that thin flexible metal "gate". I've seen someone mod it to a curved metal rod gate with spring instead as the original was missing. I think it helped that shot a lot.

I've been thinking up a similar solution for the right orbit on my SW. I may try bending some piano wire and see what i can come up with. I replaced mine with a cliffy repro, which has helped... i still think there's a better solution though--something like what you were talking about.

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Got a seawitch being shipped to me. Has repo backglass and plastics. Rough playfeild.

Congrats!!! Mind sharing the price with us?

Just to throw my 2 cents in: i paid 700 for my Nine Ball about 2-3 years ago, and 900 for my Seawitch about 4-5 years ago... Both in players/routed condition, but i love them both. I don't forsee selling them any time soon.

Also, John Greatwich is in the process of making repro playfields for Seawitch...sounds like yours may be a good candidate for one.

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This really isn't your 2 cents as these prices are well below market and don't really have a bearing on this discussion. I think the kids call it a "humblebrag".

Yeah, that was dumb. Not sure why i bothered posting that stuff since it's irrelevant to the modern pricing of these games. My bad.

1 week later
#310 5 years ago

Earlier in this thread there was a bit of discussion about the gate/flap at the end of the shooter lane on Seawitch, and it inspired me to try making my own 'upgrade' gate. I used a piece of piano wire and a spring. It works surprisingly well. It doesn't reject spinner/orbit shots like the metal flap, it actually works quite well for that shot now. I had also noticed on my game that plenty of plunges would get interfered with by the metal flap...not nearly as often with the new part. Only problem at this point is when the ball goes around the orbit from the left entrance, it hits the tip of the new gate on it's way around. Not a dealbreaker by any means. I'll probably leave it in and continue to experiment with it.

IMG_20180930_102940.jpgIMG_20180930_102940.jpgIMG_20180930_102946.jpgIMG_20180930_102946.jpgIMG_20180930_103014.jpgIMG_20180930_103014.jpg

#312 5 years ago

Thanks, man! I hope this inspires you to take it to the next level. If you wind up making some, I'd love to buy one from you.

I was considering the same option of cutting into the side rail a bit to get it to rest flush. Figured I'd test it for a bit first to be sure before i make the cut. I'm also considered putting a small shim behind the metal ball guide to even it up with the gate instead of cutting a groove on the side rail. The curve on the gate definitely needs more work as well. Plus it'll need to be relocated a bit--at the moment it's anchored in one of the screw holes from the old metal-flap ball gate.

I'd also like to come up with a different, less visible location for the spring. I suppose the spring tension can also be adjustable, allowing the least resistance to the ball opening it, while closing quickly enough to allow the ball to roll back down the other side of it on a soft plunge.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

#315 5 years ago

Ah, good point. I'll have to make a notch in the side rail for the gate to rest in once i have a more finished design ready to go. Thanks for your help!

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Why does game have to be off? Will do this.

Someone more experienced can probably explain better, but i think it's a matter of the voltage at the displays getting fed back to the sdu and possiblly the mpu if a display is removed with power on. Never happened to me, but apparently it can make quite a mess of the boards if that happens. Any repair guides I've read have always made it very clear to avoid doing that. As the above posters have suggested, swap the displays with the game off and see if the problem moves with the display.

1 week later
#343 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Just checking interest. I already have someone with first dibs.

I'm sure plenty of us here are interested, it's a Quicksilver in very nice shape!

So, is the dibs buyer going to purchase the game?

2 weeks later
#482 5 years ago

I'm curious how they handled the shooter lane ball flap/loop guide on Beatles. It looks like they may have just put a one-way gate there. In fact, it appears that a soft plunge would send the ball down that odd little passage above the right slingshot and into play.

2 months later
#848 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

How do you find this all of this stuff? In less than 4 months you have accumulated almost all of the classic Stern heavy hitters.

Well, he did start this thread...

1 month later
1 month later
#1402 5 years ago

That big drop target mech has a total of 8 coils--a big one for resetting the bank, and 7 small relay-type coils used for dropping the targets. Unfortunately the mech is a pita to service, but it might need to be taken apart to check the small coils. If you should find a bad coil, i would check the associated driver transistor on the SDB and replace it if it's bad.

Also, the 2 metal 12-lamp boards under the playfield sit very close to the big drop target mech. I've seen electrical tape run in between the drop target mech and the lamp boards to prevent any potential shorting etc. Make sure there's no contact being made there, too.

1 month later
#1545 4 years ago

What size/thickness piano wire is needed to make new lane guides for Seawitch and Nine Ball?

#1547 4 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-WS-090
This is what I used for stargazer. Should work the same. Measure what you have with calipers to confirm.

Perfect, thanks!!!!

1 month later
#1772 4 years ago
Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

Wow, this may turn into a bigger headache than i thought. I found the passive pop bumper. But my searches aren't giving me anything on the left slingshot arm. Is there another manufactures part someone has used and it worked?

Here's a thread that should be helpful: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-electronics-sling-arm-info

Looks like the Williams part A-12664 may be the closest option, since nobody has repro'd that part.

4 weeks later
#1857 4 years ago

What's the difference between the type 1 and type 2 flipper bushings?

#1860 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Type 2 is longer.
Type 1 is for the flipper mechs where the plate is flush to the playfield.
Type 2 the flipper mech plate stands off the playfeild.

This is great info--thank you!

Another question about the bushings: does anyone know what lengths they are? I have a few different ones laying around and want to determine which i can use for my classic Stern's.

#1874 4 years ago

Where can i purchase some credit button stickers for my SW and NB? I'm talking about the round shiny blue decals that go around the credit button on the coin door.

IMG_20190725_084219.jpgIMG_20190725_084219.jpg
#1876 4 years ago

Thanks!! I saw they are also selling them on eBay. Just wanted to make sure they are the real deal. Gonna order them up today

2 weeks later
#1984 4 years ago

Someone converted a Flash Gordon into a custom Ghostbusters machine and used a similar approach to RedKetchup for custom sounds, here's the link:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-custom-pinball-inside-look#post-748212

1 week later
#2052 4 years ago

Where is everyone buying flipper rebuild kits from? It seems the kits i bought from pinball life for my Seawitch 4-5 years ago are already starting to wear out. I began noticing at some point the flippers weren't moving back to their resting position sometimes. After trying a bunch of stuff, i swapped over the flipper mechs from my Nine Ball and that fixed the problem. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience with pinball life flipper rebuilds for these games, but it seems like a fairly short life span for the parts. Maybe that's par for the course these days, though.

#2057 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It sounds like you have been playing your Seawitch a lot.

Well, i gotta say that's definitely the case .

I'm gonna go ahead and order new plungers and stops. It'll save me a few bucks instead of getting the complete rebuilds.

Thanks for the responses!

#2087 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I think I actually have all of the stern outer space games, stars, meteor, galaxy, flight 2000...

I suppose Nine Ball might count?

1 month later
#2330 4 years ago

Sometimes one bad display can affect the others in weird ways.

Before proceeding: it's critical you *never* unplug or plug in a display with the power on. You'll damage *lots* of stuff if you do. In addition to that, it's high voltage at the displays, so proceed with caution.

Power off, unplug all but one display. Power on and test display. If good, power off, plug in another display, power on and test, repeat. You may find most work, but there's one or more that don't work properly. Once you fix the bad ones, they should all hopefully begin working properly (or at least better, they may still have minor issues). There are a number of recommended fixes/upgrades for these displays, as described by other posters above. Don't worry about compatibility, either Stern/Bally will work fine.

#2332 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Just weird that none of the Stern Magic displays work in my Harlem. All of my Stern Meteor displays work fine in Harlem.

Could potentially be a connector issue in that case. I'd still process this way and see if that reveals anything.

#2334 4 years ago

That is weird. So if you put the Harlem displays in the magic they all work fine? I would think that would rule out the mpu and connectors. Hard to imagine you have 5 bad displays. You said the Magic displays do nothing in the Harlem, but you also mentioned a Meteor. Have you tried the Magic displays in the Meteor or vice versa?

One other idea: have you tried clearing out all the audits? Not sure why, but apparently sometimes a factory reset can clear garbage out of the ram or something, which may be leading to this weird behavior. Does the game have a battery or NVRAM?

1 month later
#2543 4 years ago

Could anyone tell me what type of bolts I'll need for attaching the head to the cabinet on a Stars? I think i have the pitch/diameter, just need to know the length.

Thanks!

#2548 4 years ago

Thanks guys! I was thinking of doing that but i figured if anyone had a bolt laying around i could get the info from them. I try to minimize the amount of backglass removals as much as possible

#2551 4 years ago

Anyone know where to get the parts to rebuild the chimes for Stars? I would like to get new grommets, sleeves, etc. The parts currently on the game look rigged up/not original so I'd like to get it all back in proper order.

#2554 4 years ago

I'll drop The Pinball Resource a line and see what they say. I'll report back with any info i receive.

Thanks!

1 month later
#2708 4 years ago

Seawitch decals are available from pinsider topwif

He did a great job, mine look good as new after years of use. Highly recommend!

Quoted from WeatherbyMAG:

Seawitch blue wave spinner decals?? Can't find these for sale anywhere.... one of last parts I need to finish a resto I'm doing. Anyone know of a source?[quoted image]

1 month later
#2939 4 years ago

I recently got my Stars up and running, and i noticed in the process that there is no high voltage fuse anywhere in the backbox. Games from this generation usually have a big red tag stating "HIGH VOLTAGE 1/4 AMP FUSE", but i see no tag, no fuse, and no evidence that either were ever there to begin with. I'm currently using an SDU that has a 1/4a HV fuse, but i want to install the original SDU that doesn't have a fuse installed on the board nor a place to install one. I'd like to know which wire i should be fusing with the 1/4a HV fuse if anyone can help. Looking over the schematics, I'm unable to come up with it. Thanks!

#2941 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

It's the red high voltage wire going to pin 1 at the displays. Fuse the wire before the first display the wire connects to which is probably the player 3 display.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!

1 week later
#3022 4 years ago
Quoted from cadmium:

I’m pretty thrilled with the end result of the touch up. Not exactly a high-end restore but it no longer draws the eye to it.[quoted image]

That looks great! I've never done any touch up with before, but I'm considering giving it a shot. Out to curiosity, what kind of paint did you use? Any specific brand or variety you can recommend?

#3025 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Acrylics, Ceatex opaque is a good for your standard colors, but you can get real close to matches with Americana brand, of course there are like a million colors.
You biggest/easiest diff'rence you can make with classic sterns is re-blacking you key lines (limes). There going to be blown out on probably any game you encounter. It's easy to do & makes a huge diff'rence.
For brushes, I love these ones you can find at Michaels...when it reopens. They aren't with the hobby brushes at my store, they are with the real acrylic brushes. A nice 2/0 is small and super good quailty
https://www.michaels.com/artists-loft-roma-round-brush/M10213645.html?dwvar_M10213645_size=4

Thanks a bunch! That's very informative!

2 weeks later
#3078 4 years ago

Just got my Stars running recently and i love it!

The chimes are great, ripping both spinners is so satisfying, and chasing the 100k shot is a blast! I'd grab it while it's still available. I don't plan on letting mine go anytime soon. It'll eventually find it's home in my lineup next to my Nine Ball, another Steve Kirk masterpiece.

Btw, a quick update for anyone with a Stern game that uses a chime box: these are the parts the Pinball Resource recommended for rebuilding it. I bought the parts from them and they work great.

8x Gottlieb 2752 Grommet
8x Bally M122-24 Eyelet
4x Short bell sleeve (flanged coil sleeve)
4x Bally Plunger A550-6

IMG_20200411_184628.jpgIMG_20200411_184628.jpg
#3094 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

but seems like it could be a fun project to force me into doing board work

Go for it! You gotta start somewhere! I never thought I'd be up to doing board work, but with practice and patience i managed to get there. I still make mistakes sometimes, but I've come to learn a lot of mistakes can be fixed (even if the fix is a bit unsightly )

I've always wanted to order a set of those displays to assemble. Heck, I'll assemble them for ya if you can't seem to make it happen. (Of course that would mean sending them down here and back, but that's totally up to you--just thought I'd offer since I'm currently unemployed and enjoy that sort of work for the most part).....i think you can do it though. Just gotta have the right tools and a bit of practice.

#3099 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Appreciate the offer and pep talk! I have some junk boards I’ve been practicing de-soldering on. Guess I can just do the reverse while I wait for the kit.
Have decent enough tools, so you’ve pushed me off the cliff... the kit it is, thanks!

Right on, man! Feel free to hit me up if you need any pointers or you want to take me up on that offer. Good luck!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#3219 3 years ago

Does anyone know where to get the upper backglass trim for Stars? I can't lock the backbox properly without it.

#3223 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Are you talking about this part with the locking tabs on?
[quoted image]

I think that's the one i need, but I'm not sure...my backglass was missing that piece when i got the game.

Here's the bracket that locks the backglass in place, the 2nd one kickabit posted:

IMG_20200515_130925.jpgIMG_20200515_130925.jpg
#3226 3 years ago
Quoted from kickabit:

You have an early bar. You can just use a regular plastic trim on the backglass.

Good to know. I'll order up a piece next time I'm placing a parts order. I've also noticed a bit of wobble from the backglass when it's installed and locked, hopefully adding the trim will help reduce that. Thanks for the info!

3 months later
#3739 3 years ago

What exactly is wrong with the drop target bank from your NB? Might have an easier time fixing yours than finding a replacement, but you never know. Good luck either way!

1 month later
#3996 3 years ago

You can also try a couple layers of scotch tape on the surface of the coil stop, that's another easy way to determine if magnetism is your culprit.

2 months later
#4436 3 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Quick spit polish on my pickup from yesterday. Still have some board work to go, but hopefully I'll get her working quickly.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats!!! Stars has quickly become a favorite among my buddies, and it's an awesome game for multiplayer. Can't get enough of those spinner rips!!!

1 month later
#4705 3 years ago

I just got to thinking this morning: we're approaching a point where our beloved classic Sterns will nearly be reproducible, brand new. As evidenced by a number of ambitious individuals on this thread, donor cabs + wiring harnesses + new playfields has been sufficient to convert some of the less desirable titles into beautiful new SG, QS, and more.

Following progress around the forums, it seems we're nearly at the point we'll be able to build these games *new*, though piecemeal.

Here's a new transformer from Homepin: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepin-official-thread-pinball-parts-machine-progress/page/87#post-5955243

New cabinets are here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reproduction-classic-stern-cabinets-now-available

Third Coast Pinball seems to be the go-to for new wiring harnesses.

All new boards and displays are available from a number of sources, as well as playfields.

The only pieces left to the puzzle are game-specific parts, namely drop target banks (but I'm sure there's others in not thinking of). Even those seem to be coming along in this thread. Outside of that, i could see ball guide sets becoming available eventually as well. To my knowledge, many other targets and assemblies are available except kicker/slingshot arms.

Of course, there's still many other challenges, I'm sure (Catacomb bagatelle, for instance) and the chance of Viper or Iron Maiden and some others being remade seems slim due to low demand and more game-specific parts involved.

I'm sure I'm overlooking some important things, but i feel like we're headed in the right direction. I'm excited to see the day when we can buy (and build!) "new" Classic Sterns!

1 week later
#4721 3 years ago

Make sure to file the new switch(es)! There's usually some coating or film on it that needs to be filed off for better contact. Also make sure the eos switch blades have a little tension against each other when closed.

1 week later
#4752 3 years ago

If ordering from The Pinball Resource, this is what i got for my chime box for Stars based on their suggestions (and has been working great):

8x GTB-2752
8x Bally M122-24 Eyelet
4x Short bell sleeve
4x Bally Plunger A550-6 (Note from PBR: May be a little heavier)

1 month later
#4964 2 years ago

Reset all your drop targets and see if the problem persists if you haven't already. That may give you another clue where to look of the problem goes away with all the drops reset. Definitely sounds like a wiring issue, or a diode installed backwards somewhere perhaps.

#5024 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I had a hell of a time getting solder to stick to some of my sockets.

I've had similar experience with new sockets. At some point i discovered that filing the area of the socket you're attempting to solder to (using a metal file) can sometimes be enough to get it to take the solder. Any that still give trouble after that, i put a little dab of rosin paste flux on the area i filed and that will usually do the trick. Make sure the solder you're using has flux in it (most I've encountered do). I've also found some solders work better than others, especially in cases like this. I found Kester solder in particular to be good for this. The kind I've been using is 63% tin/37% lead with "44" rosin core.

I don't know if it's overkill, but i often do my lamp socket soldering/desoldering with a 100w solder gun. Makes very quick work getting things on/off. Have you tried higher heat? I also prep the sockets on my bench (get solder on both tabs) before i install them so there's minimal heat near the pf when it's time to re-solder the wiring. Usually makes the rest of the job a snap when reinstalling the sockets under the pf.

2 months later
#5388 2 years ago

Are these arms universal between earlier games like Stars and later such as Seawitch and Nine Ball?

1 week later
#5460 2 years ago
Quoted from n1teowl:

Yes, I've played this briefly once before at a show and I'll definitely need more time on it before I can make a judgement. I couldn't turn it down due to the combination of art, rarity, and price. I'll post back here once I've had a chance to get some time on it and let you know what I think.

I know Viper isn't one of the more popular classic Stern's, but I think it's a cool game. I also have only tried it at a pinball show, but thought it was pretty fun and unique...not to mention the awesome artwork. Probably not a keeper in the long term based on others reviews, but I like weird games so who knows.

Congrats, that's an excellent find!

2 months later
#5775 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

This gets asked about a lot... A new SB-100 replacement. Coming soon, for real this time. Mostly finished this project a couple years ago but abandoned it back then for a lack of time.
Peek at the prototype. It is pretty much working fine . I need to fix up some minor stuff in a new board revision.

[quoted image]

This looks great!! I really like the surface mount chips along with the extra mounting holes for 'regular-size' replacement chips if they should need to be replaced down the road. Excellent work!

#5806 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Thanks for the input. It might be something minor, but I didn't even really want to power it up untill I go through all the pinwiki initial steps.

This is very good practice, in my opinion. I don't power on any games I buy until I've gone over the basics first: verify fuses are correct rating and type (I'm yet to find a game that had all the correct fuses installed), then get on to upgrades/repairs on the rectifier & sdu, verify good voltages etc etc etc. I also like to leave the other boards unplugged until I have my voltages etc proper first. Pinwiki should have you covered

1 week later
#5879 2 years ago

I also had some trouble with targets intermittently acting the same way, here was the fix I had posted to the Nine Ball Club:

I had this issue with 2 targets in my 8-bank after rebuilding and installing new drop targets. After many attempts to fix the issue, it turned out in my case to be the relays that knock down the targets needed to be adjusted. The armature of each relay has a tab at the end that the target rests on. The tabs on the armatures for the targets that were intermittently dropping needed to be raised or lowered to get them in line with the tabs for the armatures on the "good" targets. You'll need to pull the target bank out to get access to the parts you'll need to adjust.

#5881 2 years ago

Yep, exactly. I compared the problem ones with the working ones and carefully bent the tabs to try to match their position. Worked like a charm, thankfully!

#5884 2 years ago

That's them! Just need to bend them to get in line with the ones that are working properly...at least that's what fixed mine.

See how these couple look bent a bit to the right? Maybe it's just the camera angle, but they look a bit out of alignment. You may need to bring them back a little bit to the left (or the others are bent the wrong way and need to match those). Take careful note of which targets are dropping and compare the position of those tabs with the reliable targets. Good luck!
Screenshot_20211103-134917.pngScreenshot_20211103-134917.png

#5888 2 years ago

FLASHBALL
Post a couple pics of the rest of the drop target assembly, maybe there's something else missing or in need of adjustment. Can't think of anything else

2 months later
#6269 2 years ago

Looks like it could be binding up on the right side against the spinner bracket.

Screenshot_20220201-172807.pngScreenshot_20220201-172807.png

The spinner bracket can be spread out a bit to stop the binding--one of the mounting holes on the bracket is usually elongated to provide some amount of adjustment. Unscrewing the 2 nuts that mount the spinner bracket to the posts should hopefully reveal an adjustment on the bracket. Here's the spinner on my Seawitch, you can see where the adjustment can be made by loosening the screw and moving that leg of the spinner bracket to or fro, then re-tightening:

PXL_20220201_223309769.jpgPXL_20220201_223309769.jpg

1 week later
#6318 2 years ago
Quoted from GoldenOreos:

Could be a broken Hold winding on coil. have had that happen randomly.

Agreed--you can try swapping flipper coils and see if the problem moves with it.

1 month later
#6469 2 years ago

Anyone looking to join the club: pinsider Whridlsoncestood has about 10 classic Sterns up for sale in CT.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/northeast-us-for-sale-thread/page/473#post-6853150

#6485 2 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

Dam i want that dragonfist!!!

That makes 2 of us!

2 months later
#6834 1 year ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

You probably won’t find the coil mounting plate (#24) listed anywhere but you can special order it from Pinball Life.

They have it listed on their site now. I know because I requested it!

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=535-7419-00

5 months later
#7479 1 year ago

Can anyone take a couple measurements from a flipper bushing for an MPU200 game for me please? The part number for the correct bushing is 4A-111-W-2. I suspect I have the wrong bushings installed in my Seawitch, but there's no marking on the parts so I'm unable to tell. Total length of bushing from top to bottom of the one I pulled out is approx 1+3/8" (the lens skews the perspective in the pic a bit, but I believe my measurement is accurate). I appreciate any help!

PXL_20221109_152655503.jpgPXL_20221109_152655503.jpg

#7489 1 year ago

I tried using those spacers and they did help...but the problem returned soon after. If the bushing is correct, I'll have to take a closer look at the rest of the assemblies and see if there's something else that might be amiss...

Thanks for the response!

4 months later
#8120 1 year ago
Quoted from Jr99svt:

Looking for a Nine Ball 8 bank Drop target bank. if anyone has one complete or Stripped, please let me know

Pinsider Terrapin Mark has a complete one listed on the Allentown buy/sell thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2023-buy-sell-trade-want-no-hotel-talk/page/7#post-7449440

#8150 1 year ago

I own both and won't hesitate to recommend Stars over Seawitch. I still really like my Seawitch, but if it had to be one or the other I know Stars would be the winner.

1 week later
#8247 1 year ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

several of the coils do not fire during game or test. I just popped in another Alltek SDB to see if the issue was with the other board, i swear all the started working for a bit during the test

I'd re-pin the female connector J4 at the SDU. I find connector problems so frequently on these games that I'll usually re-pin most (or all) of the 0.100 connectors in the backbox.

#8277 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ahhh. Long time coming. [quoted image]

I would be tempted to give that pair their own little section with some tall plants and decor to really give it that "jungle" aesthetic

Congrats!!!

1 month later
#8719 11 months ago
Quoted from CaffeineSlug:

Found my switch problem!
[quoted image]

Good catch!

2 weeks later
#8763 11 months ago
Quoted from trecemaneras:

I officially joined the club yesterday!
[quoted image]
This example is very “player’s condition” with a great deal of room for improvement cosmetically. But it plays!

Congrats!!! Repro playfields were floating around for a minute, might be a few still up for grabs. Try CPRs site if you're looking. Mine has a rough playfield but it plays awesome. Clean it up and play the hell out of it

1 week later
#8789 10 months ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

Tip: order a 4-AA battery holder from Amazon and splice alligator clips to the lead wires. Also keep a good, brand new socket (bayonet and wedge) on hand. First thing I do with any dead bulb is hook up that 6v direct to the socket - if the socket and bulb are good, it'll light right up and you can move on; if not put the bulb in your good socket and you'll know if the issue is the bulb or the socket.
Also, if the bulb works off the bat, move the positive lead higher up on the GI braid - if it no longer works you have a bad solder there. If you make the alligator leads long enough, you can find the originating pin on the lamp board and test continuity of the whole wire too. This sort of approach has saved me TONS of time.

I have a little test light that does exactly what you describe--super helpful for troubleshooting lamp issues. Also helpful for testing switches!

PXL_20230605_133645807.jpgPXL_20230605_133645807.jpgPXL_20230605_134014875.jpgPXL_20230605_134014875.jpg
1 month later
#9071 9 months ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

My Stars tilts every time I hit a ball through the left spinner with significant velocity and therefore spinner revolution. The tilt happens as the spinner comes to a stop. Any ideas as to where to troubleshoot? Thanks.

Is the capacitor on the tilt bob present? If so, try clipping one leg off and see if that corrects it. The left spinner and tilt bob share the same switch strobe in the schematics (ST0, the first vertical column in the following diagrams)--even though they're on separate pages...the playfield switch matrix:

Screenshot_20230714-223650.pngScreenshot_20230714-223650.png
...and the cabinet switch matrix:

Screenshot_20230714-223630.pngScreenshot_20230714-223630.png

#9109 9 months ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

Holding that rollover switch down constantly does not cause a tilt, but doing that and then moving the L spinner even just part of a turn activating the spinner switch immediately causes a tilt. Attached is a photo of the rollover switch. Are those colors considered to be yellow-brown and white-brown? Thanks.[quoted image]

A lot of times, these kinds of switch matrix problems can be figured out by looking at the related switches as corners of a square. In this case, we have the left spinner + rollover switch as the 2 'corners' but then what are the other 2 corners (marked in red)?Screenshot_20230714-223650.pngScreenshot_20230714-223650.png

They are both labeled with stars to indicate that they're used--but they're on the cabinet switch matrix diagram:
Screenshot_20230714-223630.pngScreenshot_20230714-223630.png

So take a good close look at coin switch #3 to make sure it's not stuck and is wired correctly (note the coin switch doesn't have a diode--that is normal)... Also check the tilt bob, and roll tilt assemblies. Make sure the diode is correctly oriented there, and clip the capacitor if you haven't tried it already.

You've got to be close to solving this one!

3 months later
#10116 5 months ago

Is your soldering iron temp controlled? May need to crank up the heat a bit if it's not hot enough to melt the solder on the board.

1 week later
#10188 5 months ago
Quoted from splattii:

I have a Meteor with LED's installed for all the inserts. The machine was using Alltek boards. I recently had a tech go over all the original boards and after having them repaired I swapped out the MPU and Solenoid board but left the lamp driver so the LED's would be ok. I now have insane flicker on all my playfield/insert lights but the lights under the plastics are fine. The backbox lights are all ok. Not sure why the playfield are flickering. Any ideas

When running LEDs with an Alltek driver, you have to run a wire from the board to the controlled lamp power bus (might be easiest to connect to a socket where the power line attaches). Instructions are printed on the lamp driver: Screenshot_20231127-064831.pngScreenshot_20231127-064831.png

4 months later
#10707 20 days ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

Targets are new, spring is new: coil stop is loose at the head where it is "riveted" into the stop, but the large bore part (A-378) is unavailable from most vendors - waiting on Action Pinball to return from vacation to see if he has one. It is an aluminum sleeve and I'll get some nylon replacements but I don't have the larger bore size on hand. Will let everyone know when those parts are replaced and if any difference is noted. Thanks.

Another thing that might be worth trying is flipping the back plate of the drop target bank. Sometimes if it's put on the opposite way it originally was installed, you can get weird behavior (it has symmetrical slots and holes, so it's possible to be installed 2 ways)...

Part 1B-481-3:

Screenshot_20240405-005315.pngScreenshot_20240405-005315.png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 33.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tempe, AZ
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 169.00
$ 169.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.