20240412_202742 (resized).jpg
20240412_202714 (resized).jpg
Pinside_archive_84_21371 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7930847_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7961451_3722489 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7933786_0 (resized).jpg
DSCN9287 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 215.
#201 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

What impedes that right orbit shot is that thin flexible metal "gate". I've seen someone mod it to a curved metal rod gate with spring instead as the original was missing. I think it helped that shot a lot.

I don't have any problem with attacking that right orbit shot and have read of some using that Lightning flipper. I use those Williams style narrow-nose aluminum flippers from Pinball Life. It is a hard shot to hit.

My problem with that metal gate is that it is not built correctly, IMO. What I noticed when I first got my Seawitch is when I made the left hand orbit and that ball would be traveling clockwise, when it hit the metal gate the gate would flex due to not enough tension and this flex would mess with ball trajectory and maybe I could hit the ball with the right upper flipper and maybe I could not.

I have thought about making a curved spring loaded gate of which you speak. I have not got that far with figuring out what kind of torsion spring be suitable. But I have some ideas. Just no time to chase the engineering.

What I have done is make a gate from .030 polycarbonate (Lexan) and I made the gate a little longer. This extra length allows me to put a little more tension on the gate. There is not so much tension that ball cannot leave the shooter lane but there is enough tension that the gate does not deflect with a clockwise orbit shot.

The result is the ball will come into range of that upper right flipper a lot more. This gives me a good shot setup to go for a double orbit. I get quite a few double orbits, which is thrill, and I even got a triple orbit one time.

I sent my gate to Kerry Stair with the proposal that he was going to tool up and make some gates with a longer metal piece. But when he learned Cliffy was already making the gates he backed away.

While my poly gate works well, it is still a prototype and looks crappy.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

What impedes that right orbit shot is that thin flexible metal "gate". I've seen someone mod it to a curved metal rod gate with spring instead as the original was missing. I think it helped that shot a lot.

I purchased Cliff's replacement right-orbit flap and I can attest that if properly installed (may require a little bending to get it just right) the right-orbit shot becomes much_ more reliable and fun. Honestly, having a very challenging, hard-to-achieve shot is often more fun than something easy. Anyways, my Seawitch as currently setup is quite a lot of fun. Just wish it had Quicksilver's bonus count-down and whistle on max-bonus.

#203 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am a firm believer that your opinion of a game is in response to the exact tables that you have played over the years. The newer the machine (of the same title), the more similar one plays to to another.
So, these early solid state games have a MUCH wider gap of how one title of the same name plays to the next. I think that is one reason people seem to have such strong opinions of older machines. The older the machine, the wider the opinion gap.
Possibly it would only take one single experience on a Star Gazer or Quicksilver to change my mind. I have played two examples of each for a very extended time (many multiplayer games for hours) to learn to detailed rules of each table. I have decided that neither are worth owning. I suppose I could change my mind but that is probably just as likely as someone who does not like Fathom, playing a different example of it and changing their mind on the spot, erasing all the negative playing experiences in the past 15 years.
Truth be told, my favorite Bally game is my Mr/MS Pac-man. Every other single Mr/Ms I have ever played was absolute crap. Lamps/switches not working, flippers not aligned, ect. Yeah, I know. Flame away.
Back on topic, I don't think you could buy a decent Seawitch for less than 2500 these days. The other two are basically impossible to price since it's a sellers market on those 2 titles. Could you buy one for 3K... maybe a beater. 5K gives you a better chance at them but you can't buy one for 5K if you can't find one for sale. A few have been "built" from parts or populated PF's. That's seems to be the way to go if you are on a budget.

I stopped reading when you said the best Bally game is Pacman hahahahah

#204 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I just can't get over how the shots in Seawitch are not properly lined up with the flippers. That right orbit area is a dumpster fire.
One reason I like classic Sterns is that you can set them up to be very difficult, while still remaining very fun. But it's harder to fix how the play field is designed.

Seawitch used to be on my list but I found the right spinner shot more frustrating, than fun. It just doesn't line up in a satisfying way.

Fun game but I rate lots of others higher.

#205 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Anyone that thinks any classic Stern is a better playing game than Fathom is living a lie. Remember, rare does not always equate to good. I love the classic Stern machines but c'mon man... we all know how any why they were made. There is a reason that back when these Stern machines were available they did not earn as well and were cheaper machines to purchase, compared with Bally and Williams.

Each to his own with regard to whatever game you like or don't like. IMHO, Fathom is way overrated play wise, though I wouldn't say that just any classic Stern is better.

Regarding earnings, I can give up to date real world experience on routing classic Bally vs at least one classic Stern. Other than Eight Ball Deluxe, which I place on a pedestal for earnings and gameplay, I haven't found any other classic Bally games that can hold their own against Quicksilver. Yeah, they do fine for a very short time period but fall off the earth with no earnings legs. Just took a refurbished Fathom off location after just a couple of months as it was an earnings dog. This Fathom is beautiful and plays like a dream, didn't matter. It was quite a disappointment. These other classic Bally comparison games were all in excellent condition, too.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Truth be told, my favorite Bally game is my Mr/MS Pac-man. Every other single Mr/Ms I have ever played was absolute crap. Lamps/switches not working, flippers not aligned, ect. Yeah, I know. Flame away.

I see no reason to flame this. Last year at TPF I got to play a POTC that a vendor had for sale. I was not impressed. A while later, or maybe even the next day, I located another POTC on the floor. It was a completely different experience and was an absolute blast to play because who ever owned it knew how to set it up.

People rave about Taxi. The two I got to play at TPF were crap. Blackout? Crap--leaned to the left. Black Hole? Crap--crappy flippers. I got to finally stand behind a Joker Poker this year; I think the guy had it set on a 2% slope; It was pathetic.

Maybe if Cactus Jacks would steepen the slope on their Fathom I might like it better. Maybe. I don't know. Everybody raves about Eight Ball Deluxe. CJs has a nice EBD. It's OK, but it is not something I lust for. Maybe because it is so brutal. I don't know. I always play it when I stop at CJs and as I get a little better with it I like it a little bit better. But the only reason I would own an EBD is if I could sell it and make some money.

And as I say all of this, I have to allow that it is different when you are in a shop getting your pockets emptied. It has a different flavor than when you are at home hitting that free play start button like a lab rat.

#207 5 years ago

Seawitch is fantastic in my opinion. Mine I have completely restored and I used Cliffys metal gate as well. I have no problem hitting the right orbit. I have owned a bunch of classic Ballys and Sterns. I sold EBD, Fathom, and Centaur after years of play. I kept Seawitch, Meteor, NB, Skateball, and Flash Gordon. Those were long term keepers to me.

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Dude:

I purchased Cliff's replacement right-orbit flap and I can attest that if properly installed (may require a little bending to get it just right) the right-orbit shot becomes much_ more reliable and fun. Honestly, having a very challenging, hard-to-achieve shot is often more fun than something easy. Anyways, my Seawitch as currently setup is quite a lot of fun. Just wish it had Quicksilver's bonus count-down and whistle on max-bonus.

I have a Cliffy gate, too. I tweaked it. I put a reverse curve on. It helped. All I'm saying is that I think that metal strip needs to be about one inch longer to provide a little more tension.

#209 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Seawitch used to be on my list but I found the right spinner shot more frustrating, than fun. It just doesn't line up in a satisfying way.
Fun game but I rate lots of others higher.

I tell you this: Just like Catacomb, the points are in those drop targets. But at least Seawitch will give you good action if you hit that spinner. With Catacomb, that spinner lane can be suicide.

But, yeah, I rate other games higher than Seawitch. My dark horse has been this Catacomb. The more I play it the more I want to play it. I can't wait for you to get yours up and running so we can talk about it.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I stopped reading when you said the best Bally game is Pacman hahahahah

I know you're kidding but I didn't say that.

Quoted from BrianBannon:

These other classic Bally comparison games were all in excellent condition, too.

From my experience, condition has nothing to do with earnings. Maintenance yes, condition no. Besides, I was talking about historic Stern vs. Bally back when men were men.

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have a Cliffy gate, too. I tweaked it. I put a reverse curve on. It helped. All I'm saying is that I think that metal strip needs to be about one inch longer to provide a little more tension.

Got a picture of how you have your Cliffy reverse curve set up in the game?
Thinking I need to get this for my Seawitches.

Yes my Classic Sterns are like rabbits. They multiply. =)

#212 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Each to his own with regard to whatever game you like or don't like. IMHO, Fathom is way overrated play wise, though I wouldn't say that just any classic Stern is better.
Regarding earnings, I can give up to date real world experience on routing classic Bally vs at least one classic Stern. Other than Eight Ball Deluxe, which I place on a pedestal for earnings and gameplay, I haven't found any other classic Bally games that can hold their own against Quicksilver. Yeah, they do fine for a very short time period but fall off the earth with no earnings legs. Just took a refurbished Fathom off location after just a couple of months as it was an earnings dog. This Fathom is beautiful and plays like a dream, didn't matter. It was quite a disappointment. These other classic Bally comparison games were all in excellent condition, too.

Awesome that you are routing classic SS games!

I recently had my Big Game on location in our league bar and it did "ok". Maybe a little under 1/2 what my TNA pulled in. League players loved it though super fun game for competitive/dollar games.

Any experience routing a Flash Gordon recently? Once mine is back together (installed a PF overlay) I may put it out at the bar as well.
These games certainly got played to death back in the day, wonder if it's too brutual for modern players?

#213 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I recently had my Big Game on location in our league bar and it did "ok". Maybe a little under 1/2 what my TNA pulled in. League players loved it though super fun game for competitive/dollar games.
Any experience routing a Flash Gordon recently? Once mine is back together (installed a PF overlay) I may put it out at the bar as well.
These games certainly got played to death back in the day, wonder if it's too brutual for modern players?

I've been "routing" some of my personal machines at my work (SW development company with between 50 and 80 employees) over the years, and since I only own Bally/Sterns from 1979 to 1981, I have some experience with which titles were hottest. EBD did just fine, but boy did the flipper rubbers ever wear out fast, always at the tip (from the ball shooting at high-speed SDTM and the player trying to do a save). But honestly, the game that really rocked the casbah earnings-wise was Paragon: It was just hard enough to be challenging without being demoralizing. That game consistently earned 200 to 300 plays a week for several months (I had it set to a quarter a play, or 5 plays for a dollar), and out-earned even some modern dot-matrix titles in the same location.

#214 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

From my experience, condition has nothing to do with earnings. Maintenance yes, condition no. Besides, I was talking about historic Stern vs. Bally back when men were men.

Are you an operator? Do you operate any classic Bally/Stern? If so, maybe you can offer some titles that might be good earning candidates? From memory and what I recall from my old Playmeter mags, classic Stern isn't represented very well among the top earners of the day. Though given just how limited the distribution was for SEI it may have more to do with what operators could buy vs what was the best earner. Some of the games that are listed as solid earners haven't worked out as well for me.

Back on topic...I did sell a complete very corroded Seawitch several years ago for $50. Everything below the playfield was very rusty. Buyer decided to rebuild it and have it restored, I am sure it cost him a fortune to do that. I get requests all the time to buy classic Stern games, so it is definitely a seller's market.

#215 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Flash Gordon is going to be one of the next classic games I place out on location later this year. I don't know of a better way to find out if a game will earn other than to place it and find out. Flash Gordon can't be any more brutal than TNA, ha! Best classic game that I have placed thus far has to be Joker Poker, good strong earnings with legs. I always set my SS games at 50 cents a play. These games are placed next to brand new pins so they have their work cut out for them competing for those quarters.

I plan on routing Star Gazer in the spring of 2019

#216 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Anyone that thinks any classic Stern is a better playing game than Fathom is living a lie. Remember, rare does not always equate to good. I love the classic Stern machines but c'mon man... we all know how any why they were made. There is a reason that back when these Stern machines were available they did not earn as well and were cheaper machines to purchase, compared with Bally and Williams.

Yeah, i like classics Stern a lot but there's no comparaison between Stargazer and Fathom, for gameplay, art and quality Fathom is 100 miles ahead
Rare games means they did not sell very well and people were not attracted to play them at that time.
I have a Quicksilver for restoration and gameplay is fast and good but what i like the most is the some kind of weird space sounds

I sold my Stargazer 2 years ago to buy a Stern Star Wars premium. It was a very nice example but playfied art is so so, backglass art very nice, gameplay just ok.
Star Wars is 1000% more fun than Stargazer, it was a good move for me

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Yeah, i like classics Stern a lot but there's no comparaison between Stargazer and Fathom, for gameplay, art and quality Fathom is 100 miles ahead
Rare games means they did not sell very well and people were not attracted to play them at that time.
I have a Quicksilver for restoration and gameplay is fast and good but what i like the most is the some kind of weird space sounds
I sold my Stargazer 2 years ago to buy a Stern Star Wars premium. It was a very nice example but playfied art is so so, backglass art very nice, gameplay just ok.
Star Wars is 1000% more fun than Stargazer, it was a good move for me

I don’t think the “rare = bad” formula always works. Especially when you are talking about games from a smaller company with fewer distirbutors and reach like stern.

#218 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don’t think the “rare = bad” formula always works. Especially when you are talking about early 80s when the industry was in terrible shape, from a smaller company with fewer distirbutors and ability to weather the storm like Stern.
Games like stargazer and quicksilver are as good as what the competition was putting out at the time.

Agreed. In the case of Star Gazer from what I've read it seems Stern cut the production "prematurely" once Flight 2000 was ready. Luckily for me it seems a lot of the SG production went to Canada before they switched the line to F2K.

Back then though it was a race of new whizbang features and such so the inherent qualities of the gameplay were easy to overlook on the brochure when comparing againt something with speech and a habitrail thingy and an upper playfield, etc.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I've been thinking up a similar solution for the right orbit on my SW. I may try bending some piano wire and see what i can come up with. I replaced mine with a cliffy repro, which has helped... i still think there's a better solution though--something like what you were talking about.

#220 5 years ago

I enjoyed the sounds of Seawitch and she could really get pumping with the drop target sounds overlapping but that damn right orbit shot was just annoying. I also had a lot of balls hop onto the plastic above the left flipper when it would ricochet off of the center bank of drop targets. Sometimes I miss that bitch!

#221 5 years ago

Just got a Seawitch recently. Plays crazy fast and yes the orbit shots are brutal but that's what keeps me coming back. It was a piece of cake, I'd get bore with it. The orbit shots actually remind of a couple brutal shots on Alien.
The game is really good.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I enjoyed the sounds of Seawitch and she could really get pumping with the drop target sounds overlapping but that damn right orbit shot was just annoying. I also had a lot of balls hop onto the plastic above the left flipper when it would ricochet off of the center bank of drop targets. Sometimes I miss that bitch!

Yeah, the ball-hop/jam on the left made the game pretty much a dog on location (jammed EVERY day!) until I added a post in the middle (plastic actually had a hole already in the right spot) to lift the plastic just a hair:

IMG_20170313_113536 (resized).jpgIMG_20170313_113536 (resized).jpg
#223 5 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

I enjoyed the sounds of Seawitch and she could really get pumping with the drop target sounds overlapping but that damn right orbit shot was just annoying.

The orbit shot is worthless anyway unless your spinner works well. 22,000 max for the rollover is a waste of a cool effect. That shot needs a rule change. Drop targets are far more lucrative.

#224 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

That's funny. I found the game to be WAAAAAAY too easy in the arcade and yet I found myself wanting one everytime I'd see one come up for sale. I have one now in my project queue.

The biggest thing I didn't like about Fathom was the reversed inlane/outlanes. Bally did so much of that in the early 80's and it was a real turn off for me (M/M PacMan included). I also didn't care for it relocking balls during multiball. Beautiful game and I like playing it, but I couldn't see myself keeping one in my collection.

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

The biggest thing I didn't like about Fathom was the reversed inlane/outlanes. Bally did so much of that in the early 80's and it was a real turn off for me (M/M PacMan included)

This was way overused. I agree. Once or twice then be done with it.

#226 5 years ago

It's interesting reading about these games being discussed fondly. This era of pinball was exactly why I didn't like pinball when I was a kid and preferred the cooler, newer, video games.

I'll have to look out for these older titles at the upcoming York show and give them some play.

#227 5 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Got a picture of how you have your Cliffy reverse curve set up in the game?
Thinking I need to get this for my Seawitches.
Yes my Classic Sterns are like rabbits. They multiply. =)

I cannot show you the Cliffy gate. It is living somewhere in the bottom of the cab. I can show you the poly gate I made and offer a couple of theories.

Fair disclosure: I tried the Cliffy and could not get it to work to my satisfaction so I made the poly gate. This pic of my poly gate will show you that I only have one screw holding it in place. I use one screw only so I could "pivot" the base of the gate in an attempt to be able to adjust the tension.

With the Cliffy, I used one screw only and rotated the Cliffy counter-clockwise and then massaged the gate in a reverse curve back towards the shooter rail. The reverse curve is a play on why the engineers built the Boulder Dam with a reverse curve i.e. all the water in the world is not going to push that dam in. (example: roll up a playing card between your thumb and middle finger and try to push that curve in). The reverse curve helped with the Cliffy but the metal strip was just not long enough to do the job.

IMG_8514 (resized).JPGIMG_8514 (resized).JPG

Here is the other end of my poly gate. It is ugly. It is not refined. Once I got working satisfactorily I moved on to other things---like chasing more Sterns Seawitch was my 2nd.

I wanted to make my gate longer but refrained for the following reason: You will notice that the front edge of my poly gate stops just at the point where the rail and the ball guide meet. If I had made the gate longer and pushed it father up the ball guide I think I could have gotten the better tension I was looking for but the the problem is the gate is .030" thick sitting with an "in the wind" condition meaning that there is a .030" step that the ball will hit every time it makes a clockwise move in the orbit. I figured a .030" interference would disturb the ball trajectory and I made my gate shorter than I wanted.

Also, my gate is longer than the Cliffy. The Cliffy sits farther back ( towards the player) on the shooter rail and there was just no working room to get more tension.

IMG_8513 (resized).JPGIMG_8513 (resized).JPG

With the Cliffy gate having much thinner metal, pushing farther up on the ball guide would not be an issue for ball trajectory. My thinking is that with a longer piece of metal you can bend and tweak that gate to give you the right amount of tension to hold the gate solid when the ball hits but yet not so much tension that the ball is trapped in the shooter lane.

You mentioned using a spring. I was thinking using a thicker piece of poly that would be rigid and bonding that to a thinner piece of material. The thin piece could act as the hinge while the rigid piece would maintain position and not flex with ball impact.

As I said, mine is ugly, but it does the job. It directs the ball back to the flipper and makes possible a lot of double orbit shots . When I get ready to restore Seawitch I will need to deal with this.

IMG_8511 (resized).JPGIMG_8511 (resized).JPG

IMG_8512 (resized).JPGIMG_8512 (resized).JPG

You asked the time. I told you how to build a clock. I hope this helps.

#228 5 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Are you an operator? Do you operate any classic Bally/Stern?

I operated some classic games along side some modern Stern machines (just a few years ago) when a friend of mine had an arcade in my neighborhood. It was only open on weekends. I had about 8 machines there for about 2.5 years. Best earning games were by far GOT and TWD. Those were not owned by me. Only classic game that ALWAYS did good was EATPM.

Had an EBD in there and that game got zero love. Stern ALI earned better than EBD! I know, I still can't believe that one. Hands down best earning classic game was EATPM. It was consistent EVERY SINGLE WEEK/MONTH. My second best earning game was probably WPT, followed closely by TFTC. I did have a Meteor in there for a while and it was .25 cents a play and it did get played a little but it was nowhere close to the newer games or EATPM.

Below is a pic of when we had our league there. I miss "the place".

There ARE currently some classics routed in our town but they do not get much play when up along side the newer Stern machines being released.

theplace_small (resized).pngtheplace_small (resized).png
#229 5 years ago

I currently have a Centaur and a Big Game at my location. Centaur is the worst earner to date, Striker Xtreme got played 3 times as much in a week! Big Game gets twice the play as Centaur does, week after week. Both are dogs compared to the others, our EM's out earn both even at $.25 a play. EATPM is also the surprise earner, week after week it is one of the most played games in our lineup. The other surprise earner is Austin Powers. The modern Stern's are the big winners however as they have the best lighting and gimmicks.

#231 5 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

saskatoon kijiji about 2 months ago. pins seem to move slower in the summer. not even sure it sold or ad was pulled.

I know there was one out of Saskatoon around May. I thought it was more like $3500 and not $2500.....

#232 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I operated some classic games along side some modern Stern machines (just a few years ago) when a friend of mine had an arcade in my neighborhood. It was only open on weekends. I had about 8 machines there for about 2.5 years. Best earning games were by far GOT and TWD. Those were not owned by me. Only classic game that ALWAYS did good was EATPM.
Had an EBD in there and that game got zero love. Stern ALI earned better than EBD! I know, I still can't believe that one. Hands down best earning classic game was EATPM. It was consistent EVERY SINGLE WEEK/MONTH. My second best earning game was probably WPT, followed closely by TFTC. I did have a Meteor in there for a while and it was .25 cents a play and it did get played a little but it was nowhere close to the newer games or EATPM.
Below is a pic of when we had our league there. I miss "the place".
There ARE currently some classics routed in our town but they do not get much play when up along side the newer Stern machines being released.[quoted image]

GOT and TWD are two of Stern's better earning games over the last few years! EATPM is a very accessible game to the average player, most people can understand it reasonably well, it has some funny stuff in it and the shots aren't hard at all. I considered routing one myself only it is just too easy for tournament and league play. Most strong players can play EATPMs a long time. I had to smile a little bit concerning your account of Stern Ali, it is really a fun game to play though many people have never played one that is setup well.

I don't expect a classic game to outearn or earn what a new Stern does as that would be asking too much. At the same time, I have seen some classic games have a consistent earning pattern that matches up nicely with some of the newer Sterns. One thing is for sure, almost all of those classic Bally/Stern games are much less of an investment than the new stuff.

#233 5 years ago

What do you guys reckon a really nice Viking would go for? Backglass mint, playfield the same and some touch ups on the red on the cabinet.

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

What do you guys reckon a really nice Viking would go for? Backglass mint, playfield the same and some touch ups on the red on the cabinet.

That's a bally not a stern!

2manypins ain't gonna like this one bit!!!!

(I'll answer anyway to annoy him - $1000-1500 I think. Sounds like an avg. viking bally glasses are always nice)

#235 5 years ago

Anyone want to trade a Fathom (any reasonable condition) for a nice original Medusa + Big Game?

#236 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Anyone want to trade a Fathom (any reasonable condition) for a nice original Medusa + Big Game?

I would possibly be interested if you were local.

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I would possibly be interested if you were local.

Haha. I was going to text you.

#238 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

(I'll answer anyway to annoy him - $1000-1500 I think. Sounds like an avg. viking bally glasses are always nice)

I don't care what people talk about but I find it annoying when I am watching a post (or topic) for useful information and then topic gets sidetracked to "wouldn't it be great is Stern started making repros of these titles" or other unrelated BS. Unlike a lot of people on Pinside I value my time and don't like wasting it looking at post that are so far off topic it has nothing to do with original post.

I know some people search Pinside when they are at work - etc. I am self employed and just hate wasting time looking at updates on post to find them useless.

I don't understand what a handful of people like CrazyLevi constantly try to pick a fight with me but that just seems typical of Pinside for what ever reason. If you watch my activity I an typically only actively posting on 6 or 8 topic at any given time trying to extract information that might be helpful to me or trying to help others by answering a question they have.

In any event Bally prices would be great to see also!

#239 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Bally glasses always nice? Really?? That isn't the case in my neck of the woods. If your Bally Viking is really that nice with a beautiful backglass and playfield to match you are well north of $2k without a problem. I don't really care much for the gameplay as compared to many other titles of the same era, but Viking is easy to look at.

#240 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Oops wrong thread...

#241 5 years ago

Got a seawitch being shipped to me. Has repo backglass and plastics. Rough playfeild.

#242 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Got a seawitch being shipped to me. Has repo backglass and plastics. Rough playfeild.

Ill take the next SeaSlut that comes along I guess...

#243 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Congrats!!! Mind sharing the price with us?

Just to throw my 2 cents in: i paid 700 for my Nine Ball about 2-3 years ago, and 900 for my Seawitch about 4-5 years ago... Both in players/routed condition, but i love them both. I don't forsee selling them any time soon.

Also, John Greatwich is in the process of making repro playfields for Seawitch...sounds like yours may be a good candidate for one.

#244 5 years ago

I paid 2500 Canadian plus 300 shipping.
I'm gonna talk to John in Ottawa this weekend about a playfield.

#245 5 years ago

I dont count the shipping as it would cost me gas to pick up anyway so 2500 cad is the same as me buying it in the states for 1750. $1750usd is about 2250 cad then I pay 13% brining it across the boarder which brings it to 2542 cad

#246 5 years ago

Sounds about right

I paid 1800 for one in similar condition last month

#247 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

bally glasses are always nice)

Quoted from BrianBannon:

Bally glasses always nice? Really??

Quoted from BrianBannon:

Viking is easy to look at.

I think that's exactly what he meant. Bally glasses are always easy to look at.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

$1000-1500 I think. Sounds like an avg. viking

Quoted from BrianBannon:

If your Bally Viking is really that nice with a beautiful backglass and playfield to match you are well north of $2k without a problem.

I gotta go with Brian on this one. Viking is getting harder to find. Beaters sell for $1K nowadays. $2K+ is not out of line for mint/near mint condition.

#248 5 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I don't care what people talk about but I find it annoying when I am watching a post (or topic) for useful information and then topic gets sidetracked to "wouldn't it be great is Stern started making repros of these titles" or other unrelated BS.
In any event Bally prices would be great to see also!

Well, someone of a more pedantic nature than myself might suggest that asking for Bally prices on a thread about classic Sterns is exactly the kind of "sidetracking" that you dislike!

Personally, I have NO problem with this thread's evolution: It ticks all my interest-boxes, and I have learned something entirely new about classic Sterns (the existence of the Blue Body Cheetah ROMs), which is rare enough to satisfy me. The original question about pricing is ALWAYS a subjective-shit-show anyways: Even the appropriate price for a specific example of a game is subjective, without getting into a "pricing trend" question for a number of realtively quite rare games that many of us have only seen for sale once or twice!

Just my two-cents, and continuing to waste my time on this one thread to the exclusion of all others on Pinside!

#249 5 years ago

Thread is cool to me. I don't have any complaints. People chimed in with some pricing and the question has been answered thoroughly. No reason to get upset if the thread goes elsewhere.

#250 5 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Congrats!!! Mind sharing the price with us?
Just to throw my 2 cents in: i paid 700 for my Nine Ball about 2-3 years ago, and 900 for my Seawitch about 4-5 years ago... Both in players/routed condition, but i love them both. I don't forsee selling them any time soon.
Also, John Greatwich is in the process of making repro playfields for Seawitch...sounds like yours may be a good candidate for one.

This really isn't your 2 cents as these prices are well below market and don't really have a bearing on this discussion. I think the kids call it a "humblebrag!"

Congrats though I guess.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 169.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 319.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hardware
Gameroom Mods

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 215.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-1980-sterns-quicksilver-stargazer-seawitch/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.