IMG_0960.gif
8520588E-4709-4518-B804-9EFF33E42D21 (resized).jpeg
E70F6DB1-157F-4560-AF9A-8A4C3744AA39 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230904_161022372 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230904_161020044 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3956 Rules shared by Josh Kugler Posted by rosh (1 year ago)

Post #5336 Link to streaming at Ocelot. Posted by flynnibus (1 year ago)

Post #6650 Gameplay explanation video from American Pinball. Posted by Tommy-dog (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lorddrek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I think once we achieve intergalactic travel the Tank will be obsolete. I dont want to spend 8k on that level of suspended disbelief. Which do you associate with fast and flowy, tanks or rockets? The combination of retro space theme and Tanks is shark jumping. Am I letting that bug me too much? Maybe, but if you want my money I gotta love it and for me this concept tanks.

Yeah Star Wars, Dune, and pretty much any galactic space theme really stretches the imagination a bit too far. Thank you for keeping the conversation so grounded…

#145 1 year ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

I'm guessing AP doesn't have the production capacity to really make this matter. Even with a reveal at TPF they'll still probably slow roll these out over a period of months, at which time people will have been able to assess the other recent offerings.

This is the way it appears to be. Everyone who wants will buy regardless and those who chase the next shiny thing were never potential customers in the first place.

I want my first NIB to be a solid reliable product and the current data suggests American is the best bet. And they finally have a decent logo…

#149 1 year ago
Quoted from PalmettoPinworks:

Right now that very limited pool of money is going to Spooky, Stern, and Jersey Jack. This is business plain and simple

In my few years of pinball I have seen nothing that would indicate there is a limited pool of money. Now over hyped product and value? Yes all day long.

If GTFo has a sweet layout then American will do just fine…

#250 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That's a good one-I may have to use it

I think they picked up a surplus of red and yellow back when they did Deadpool and have been trying to use it up ever since…

#257 1 year ago
Quoted from wesman:

All too often, Pinside....

It’s not just Pinside. Pretty much any forum has all the Usual Suspects.

#275 1 year ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Curious if the GTF tank mech will be more impressive than the tank mech in the new P3 game that shoots balls at you

Might be like the reverse inlane target where one gets to wonder who actually came up with it first…

#331 1 year ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

I personally want to see the base model.

Yeah base model just got a whole lot more appealing…

#599 1 year ago
Quoted from RonSS:

So what can we expect pricewise for a GTF?

Options.

#851 1 year ago

Wife is wicked into cows and has been asking for any pin with farm animals. I just got the green light…

#961 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I really look forward to seeing some gameplay. Right now it's checking my retro sci-fi box. What pushes it over the edge is it combines my wife's love of ice cream....

Cows, ice cream, retro Sci fi… It’s hitting the right spousal spots. There is your marketing folks!

#964 1 year ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Why the friggin ice cream thing??? I hope it doesn't go too overboard with that crap.

Considering all the missions are labeled as ice cream sundae ingredients you might need a life jacket…

#967 1 year ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

I would also like to add, making your pinball machine look like anything else that's remotely redemption is not a great marketing move. A.D.D aside, to me it looks like a raw thrills machine initial off look. Certainly does not look like a commercial pinball machine to me. I think this will backfire because of the demo they are trying to speak to is not 6 years old. Just my .02

So the Company President apparently worked at I.C.E. and they are a large redemption game manufacturer. Also he was originally hired by American Pinball to manage marketing. This direction clearly has his blessing if not his fingerprints all over it…

#971 1 year ago
Quoted from adborto:

I'm starting to wonder how I would fit this against the wall in my lineup. Looks like the turret would push it out a little bit.

Many thought the same until the “Tale of the tape” showed there was about 9” space due to forward lean of back box.

#973 1 year ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

Or as punkin said, about 23cm

Look man they call it Imperial for a reason…

#1270 1 year ago
Quoted from belairjoe:I would not order till i played any new game from anybody..

Wise words but not the ones wanting to hear from someone who had physical possession for 2 months…

#1289 1 year ago
Quoted from belairjoe:

we had it more than 2 months..we did not flip the top the first 2 months

Irrelevant detail but seriously thank you for sharing your opinion.

#1431 1 year ago

I’m in the camera camp. Not only does it look like one despite all the gymnastics to explain otherwise but it is there to incentivize the raising and lowering of the turret.

Just having it folded up for looks is going to get old fast. I don’t care how hopped up on the theme you are. So the camera takes your pic by using the master tank control button and after you fold the head (And yes manually flip the cardboard dust cover as well) your likeness gets included in the game. Yet another reason for the real actors. We have already seen a screenshot where they show up as an incoming transmission. Now you are in there too.

Brilliant use of a near useless feature actually…

#1435 1 year ago

Testy bunch. I can’t wait for the reveal…

#1506 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

It's already been confirmed what it is, by the artist formerly known as Franchi.
jeeeze...

Yeah? Well I can tell you right now I’m putting a friggen camera in mine. Or at least a couple wires coming out of it. Screw my ass…

#1541 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Can't wait to replace those fake missiles with real missiles.

Then suddenly Estes Rockets sells more kits than at any other time since the 70s…

#1677 1 year ago
Quoted from Metaluna5:

I actually looked into getting action figures done. Retro style. I even designed it. Sadly, none of the smaller indie toy companies would even respond to my request. Can't say I didn't try.

Too busy casting turds for GameStop to markdown on clearance.

#1759 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

I think bigger issue with the tank on the back is that it's going to limit where folks can even put the game, having to be much further from the wall than they are used to.

9 inches. That is the measured space behind a slanted backbox when the rear legs are pushed to the wall.

#1813 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Buckle up my friend. This is your future on Pinside for every new game reveal.

Don’t read too much into it. He just got run out of the Scooby thread and needed to vent a little…

#1848 1 year ago

I still say a camera gives a reason to put the head down. Why go thru all the trouble making a folding head only to never be put back down when you could easily provide incentive?

Cut into the graphics and bevel the edge only to house a meaningless screw? LOL I say…

#1855 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's a plug for the spinning flying saucer topper that shoots laser beams like a disco ball during the "We All Die For Ice Cream" wizard mode.
Or rather, it's the plug for those that do not spend the $2k extra for the topper.

Only it’s not a topper. It’s a backer. And not nearly an innovation as the JPP PinShins…

#1860 1 year ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Or it could be the one thing that holds it all together!

Best speculation yet. The Keyscrew…

#1863 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Awoke this morning with three pinball thoughts.
I don’t own many pinball machines that fold into a tank.
Where’s the Pinbar?
The stories of pinball in 2023 will be about incredible artwork and actually receiving said games in 2023.
[quoted image]

All your Pinbar needs will be supported thru Turner Pinball. He has both subtly and thoroughly cornered that market…

#1912 1 year ago
Quoted from Manimal:Nothing more than a decorative cover.......and it's not a camera. The head would have to be folded. Would make no sense.

A folded head on a playable pinball machine makes no sense. Yet here we are…

#1928 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Pinball Brothers says, God Save the Queen
.[quoted image]

I think that is the reasonable share of the market American can expect. Let hope they can handle it…

#1965 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

Yeah me too I really want to rehash old politics with people who can't even tell the difference between a screw and a camera.

I know you all are having a hard time with this but it is just as an absurd conclusion to think that it’s a screw all cleanly oriented on the the top of a backbox where there has never been one before and appears to serve no purpose.

The whole folded backbox on an active machine is bizarre enough to the point where blowing the BOM wad on it automatically raising is somehow more realistic than a friggen $10 camera? Yeah ok no camera that’s just unpossible…

#2154 1 year ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

I want one but when it’s HUO at $6200 feels about right for me.

Hot Wheels. That’s the title for you. All day long at that price. Not a bad game either…

#2195 1 year ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Sure they — or anybody else — could, but why in the hell would they? Anybody can announce they’re making a new pinball machine (with the minimal amount of details), and a shit-ton of people in this hobby start tripping over themselves to liberate thousands and thousands of dollars from their wallets.

One has to look no further than the Turner Pinball thread to see a couple FOMO monkeys swinging on the nuts of that tree…

#2386 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollo18:

So, using animation instead of those “actors”
Would have tipped the price point to …??

They could have gotten my kid to do the artwork and it would have only cost them $8900…

#2396 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

Definitely the Nordman humor translating into live actors. If you follow his pins, this is right on the money.

Is he known for his humor? Because I think I’m funny but my wife not so much…

#2410 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Yeah, that's how I took it. It's exactly what they were going for. I find it interesting that so many people expected something else....

I knew this was exactly what we were going to get. That’s why I wished it went into BOM…

#2493 1 year ago
Quoted from dozer1:

I miss screwgate.

That is notably absent. 100% was a camera feature and they bailed on it…

#2622 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Does it look like blast to pay $10K for and display in your home? Where other people will see it? Where you may have to explain it to your friends and loved ones?

You know I was actually concerned about this but then I realized I have no friends…

#2668 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

So they really made a tank game where the enemy tank doesn't shoot balls at you? Ok...

The magnet that we now know it has could fling them with some creative programming theoretically…

#2684 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Whoever made the decision to feature the FOOTAGE over the GAME just cost them tons of sales. Horrible Marketing Decisions 101.

I pointed this out before but it got no traction. As reported in an old AP press release David Fix was originally hired as a marketing manager. I think we surely know who is to blame for all of this…

#2906 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

A single static Franchi illustration of each main character with some simple parallax moving backgrounds to add some basic motion and life as they popped up would get the job done 500% better than this.

Free up more BOM. That’s all I can think of. A tank that shoots back. A screw that winks at you. A couple drop targets even. The possibilities are endless…

#2987 1 year ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Godfather would have had the same upstroke if it had been a more mature take on Scarface perhaps. "Say hello to my little friend!!" Multiball.
[quoted image]

Is that like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

#3088 1 year ago

I sort of expected the video assets to be more like FF's[quoted image]

You cannot tell me the campy retro spacey theme Stern shoe horned into FF was just a coincidence…

#3092 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I sincerely doubt Stern is making product decisions specifically to try and hold back competition from (checks sales numbers) American Pinball.

Yeah unheard of business practices. Sorry I brought it up.

#3517 1 year ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

So they haven't even UNBOXED the fucking machine yet at TPF? Wow just wow!

What kind of marketing sorcery is this?!?

#3527 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This seems obvious to me, but here goes:
$9,000 > $130. $11,000>$130. $17,500 > $130. This is a pretty simple thing to understand. And the fan brackets I sell are UNDER the playfield, not part of the game on top. When I added the amazing ZEN cooling brackets as a higher-end option, some people complained that they look TOO GOOD. Exhibit A for "you can't please everyone." I'm all about DIY - plenty of people that don't want all-in-one plug and play kits have printed their own. You can, too, if you don't need plug and play option. I certainly am not stopping you.

Just to be clear this illustration justifies excessive markups due to the high price of the product being upgraded?

I guess now I know why dealers charge so much for an oil change…

#3556 1 year ago
Quoted from John_I:

I just can't imagine what they were thinking?

These are thoughts I have every time I’m whittling toothpicks on Whoa Nellie…

#3628 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bad analogy. Oil changes are not permanent improvements to your car. It's a consumable.

Even still your justification of pricing is a questionable one. One that needs no analogy…

#3635 1 year ago

I can’t wait for this reveal. It’s going to be a real teat…

#3686 1 year ago
Quoted from FrederikFrost:

It's a bit ironic that the gimmick for LE+ models removes the ability to see the backglass.

Tits on a bull…

#3768 1 year ago

American Pinballs marketing mystery continues…

#3845 1 year ago

I do really like the playfield lighting. Looks really easy on the eyes.

#3923 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

Is there no one with a phone made in this decade taking a 4K quality video at TPF? This looks like it was “shot” with a Nokia from 1999.

Clearly footage is being smuggled out discreetly. Many phones must have been destroyed or confiscated.

Don’t know how that Neil guy just ripped some footage and not only lived to tell the tale but later worked the mic during the seminar. That’s some real James Bond shit right there…

#3929 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Please explain.

It goes with the rest of the post and is self explanatory. Sorry my wit escapes you…

#4039 1 year ago

I’m concerned by those air balls SDTM

#4179 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Looks normal to me. All those airballs from the tank standups will do that. Maybe it needs a deflector. Or it speeds up the process of it all evening out.

I have some standups I bought for a homebrew that have some pretty significant forward lean to them. Also PBR has and “improved design” that eliminates air balls. I wonder if the ones they chose have enough forward angle on them…

#4180 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:Take it from a STh owner with drops even further away (and a ramp) - you're going to find dimples in places you didn't know could get dimpled. "There's dimples in my outlanes??"

Balls leave the atmosphere in that game…

#4183 1 year ago
Quoted from galore2112:

No those aren’t dimples from balls. That’s a defect in clear coat. I am not a pinball newbie (bought my first 24 years ago) and I have several years of experience applying clear coat. My pinball machines all have dimples from airballs. They are all fairly flat and not deep like clear coat defects due to oil or silicone contaminants. What you see in my picture is what you get when there’s a problem with the clear coat. That playfield had innumerable defects which were not from airballs.

I will take the opinion of someone who was there seeing it in person over those just looking at a photo. Granted many of those look to be ball divots there also appears to be something else going on there…

#4229 1 year ago
Quoted from BallLocks:

It really does look like a good shooter, but the way they have released this is turning me off...

With most everyone’s hopes dashed in various ways I feel that AP marketing truly believes in equal opportunity disappointment…

#5281 1 year ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

For that kinda scratch it would be more useful to sell a mod that raises and lowers the head on power up of the game - stired down when off and raises when turned on .

And add a camera…

#5346 1 year ago

My daughters Galactic Force recruit.

D7485E48-F6A7-422B-A8BF-7CFC56047435 (resized).jpegD7485E48-F6A7-422B-A8BF-7CFC56047435 (resized).jpeg
#5481 1 year ago
Quoted from fourvdean:

“Gameplay” is 1 word not 2 words

Not when referring to the whole marketing fiasco…

#5563 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

They weren't even going for the tank because they knew it was death.

Yeah I’m good. Thanks…

#5935 1 year ago

And this is why no accurate data can be gleaned from these listed pinball collections.

#5954 1 year ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Pintastic New England key chain and drinking glass created by Chris Franchi!
[quoted image][quoted image]

In on the glasses! Those better be for sale…

1 week later
#6243 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Our favorite Texan should really be defending this game while screaming "remember the à la mode"

Ok now that’s funny…

#6359 1 year ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Mousin Around targets also move out of the way to open up another ramp shot

That with all the prime real estate taken this surprisingly does not do…

1 week later
#6415 12 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

My sincerest apologies....
Will you go ahead and point to the post where he said that please? I missed it in a crowd of this bullshit:

D1925CDD-72F3-4D56-8F71-6ADB01C406FB (resized).jpegD1925CDD-72F3-4D56-8F71-6ADB01C406FB (resized).jpeg
#6437 12 months ago

I am a firm believer in no game can be judged unless you put 50 games in. Every title I have initially disliked has grown on me with enough plays. Except Whoa Nellie…

#6438 12 months ago

Lol wrong thread…

#6462 11 months ago

Agree 100%
Befuddles the mind
I don't think the leadership over at AP knows what they are doing
I really wanted this to be the game that finally made me send AP some money

My thoughts exactly. I was all hopped up on an American title that finally spoke to me. And now this. All of it.

I don’t think you can really point to one single aspect of this release and say “That was a good move…”

$7-10k is huge for someone who can pick up a WPT for three grand and be about as thrilled to play it as many of newer titles out there. Just saying… It’s a tough sell for me.

#6467 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm sorry, do you pay $7-10k for the release experience... or do you pay for the game itself?
At this point why are people still beating the horse about the release? PLAY THE FREAKING GAME then decide if the money is worth it to you... not if horrible David Fix marketing is worth your money.

I will. When it is anywhere in New England. I love how you been propping this one up Flynn but to dismiss EVERYTHING to date with “play the game” is just a straw man argument.

In your face targets that bend back and airball with no fix in sight? I’m good for now. Maybe some time in on it after it’s FIXed I’ll change my mind. Like I said my money went elsewhere…

#6507 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If American hadn't done that god awful launch video the world would be such a different place right now.

This we can agree on.

#6579 11 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Foo Fighter is lame for a theme, infact is pretty horrible. It's the same old shit from Stern... Look. Just buy their shit. Games play well, themes are trash.

FF an awesome playing game with a theme that does nothing for me built by a cookie cutter company.

GTFo has a cool theme with some concerning play aspects to me that are mostly unaddressed by a tone deaf company.

#6634 11 months ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

What's wrong with this picture? [quoted image]

After 2 months they only made a dozen…

#6652 11 months ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

Too bad this was not released two months ago. It is a great video and it explains the story line.

There has to be some genius marketing move to all these delays and not just to insult the unwashed Pinsiders…

#6681 11 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

"Cowabunghole!" was all he needed to hear. LE on order.
[quoted image]

That looks like Levi about to do a game critique…

#6684 11 months ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How many people does it take to stop a tank in its tracks?

One. A marketing director.

#6710 10 months ago
Quoted from Capn12:

"David Fix went on to state that Galactic Tank Forces on location are "earning on par or a little bit better than Foo Fighters at quite a few different locations."
LUL, ok.

That’s some used car salesman shit right there…

#6711 10 months ago

And just for the record I still fully intend on purchasing one of these at some point. The theme and aesthetics really hit home for me and the fam it’s just that like most AP titles I fully expect the opportunity to pick one up down the road for considerably less than retail.

#6717 10 months ago

That is a very accurate assessment on any earning claims.

#6731 10 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

What we have here is the David Fix marketing machine... probably telling everyone 'any buzz is good period', even if we're talking about the absurdity of their claims.

Literally every non design issue can be traced back to this guy. What is his backstory?

Obviously he has the passion for pinball and his age says probably for a while now.

He did marketing for redemption machine manufacturer ICE before landing similar job with American. Then fairly quickly became the president not sure what kind of vacuum was being filled during this time.

We have seen him say and promise many things that have not come to fruition but that is not uncommon for sales pedigree.

After seeing the heavily throttled and bungled release of GTFo along with an expressed disdain for Pinside criticism I would have expected some more effort to right the ship yet trends continue.

I witnessed a lifeline thrown by Fix when JGW was being a drunken ogre at a Pintastic forum any many subsequent referrals by John about Fix being pro Trailer Trash Pinball until it ended up being just that.

Bottom line is how can a solid pinball manufacturer with a decent lineup allow themselves to be managed by and in such a way and end up successful?

#6736 10 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Why do you think he doesn't impact also design decisions?

He just may. I was trying to keep my assumptions to a minimum. This is Pinside after all..

#6849 10 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Another fail. They just bought some led strips off amazon and glued them to some oval boards. Nice work I guess. How could they NOT be integrated, its a no brainer.

I actually have a couple tank treads I string along the railings come Christmas time. Very innovative stuff…

#6851 10 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I would have bet $$$ AP would have integrated them. Something is amiss over there, hope they survive..

Where there is smoke there is fire and a particular someone has been blowing a lot of it…

#6871 10 months ago

Imagine how little we would know without this guy…

#6888 10 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

As an aside, American Pinball should consider having a map of where people can play their games. They have a distributor link, but maybe they could partner with Pinball Map to help highlight places to try games on location?

Dude. Come on…

1 week later
#6912 10 months ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

Personally I loved Valhalla at SFGE last year, one of my favorites, but I'm scared to buy one.

Assembly is one area that AP does not seem to struggle with. That’s a Spooky concern. The design and code that AP’s current title has is not going to be an issue. I’d buy with confidence.

#6924 10 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

What, a grand shaved off at the most?

Yes.

7 months later
#7225 3 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Also, maybe put the new game on the online store?
[quoted image]
Crazy, I know

Clearly this is because as Fix said they were all spoken for…

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - Pre-order Spot
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

Machine - For Sale
Waterford Township, MI
$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 10,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 9,799.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lorddrek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread?tu=lorddrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.