E70F6DB1-157F-4560-AF9A-8A4C3744AA39 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230904_161022372 (resized).jpg
PXL_20230904_161020044 (resized).jpg
Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 11.29.46 AM (resized).png
20230720_120453.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #3956 Rules shared by Josh Kugler Posted by rosh (11 months ago)

Post #5336 Link to streaming at Ocelot. Posted by flynnibus (11 months ago)

Post #6650 Gameplay explanation video from American Pinball. Posted by Tommy-dog (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 7,248 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 145.
#1 1 year ago

About high time we start the speculation and hype of American's next rumored(confirmed?) game - Galactic Tank Force - designed by Dennis Nordman featuring art by Christopher Franchi. Official reveal rumored to be at TPF 3/24-3/26.

Dare I say the title is oddly, anticipated, for a non-licensed theme and I, for one, can't wait to see and play it.
What say you about GTF!? Does it have a lot of potential or will it flop!?

Pricing:
* Standard Edition: $8995
* Limited Edition (500 made): $10995
* Signature Edition (200 made): 'Call For Price' - Range appears to be $16500-18500 depending on dealer

AP Website:
* https://www.american-pinball.com/games/galactic-tank-force/

AP TPF Seminar Links:
* https://www.twitch.tv/texas_pinball_seminar/video/1774581481
* https://www.twitch.tv/texas_pinball_seminar/video/1774612081

Reveal Trailer:

Teaser Trailers:

GTF (resized).jpgGTF (resized).jpg
GTF_Tank.jpgGTF_Tank.jpg

#2 1 year ago

Definitely excited to see details on this.

Zach on SDTM was dissing this theme a few months back, but I couldn't disagree more. A cool space sci-fi theme is a great choice in my opinion. I like the look of the art direction based on this teaser, too. Put that with a solid designer in Dennis Nordman, and I'm hoping this turns out to be a great pin.

Honestly the theme has been a turn off on all of the AP machines so far to me, LOV excepted - GTF is more like it to me, hope the execution works out.

Somebody leak and post up some Playfield images soon pretty please.

#3 1 year ago

Theme sounds kind of lame, but if it's loaded with solid Fanchi art with that retro aesthetic, it could be a killer looking game.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

Definitely excited to see details on this.
Zach on SDTM was dissing this theme a few months back, but I couldn't disagree more. A cool space sci-fi theme is a great choice in my opinion. I like the look of the art direction based on this teaser, too. Put that with a solid designer in Dennis Nordman, and I'm hoping this turns out to be a great pin.
Somebody leak and post up some Playfield images soon pretty please.

Zach’s taste in games has been pretty shitty lately. He’s a shill now.

This game is going to rock…Can’t wait

#5 1 year ago

That art looks a bit moon patroly

#6 1 year ago

I'm looking forward to what the crew at AP does with this.

#7 1 year ago

That art looks great to me ! I love retro sci-fi / space themes and aesthetics . Had Raza seen the light of day I’d have bought one on theme and art alone . Let’s hope this is a winner !

#8 1 year ago

I love EHOH so definitely down to see any new Nordman design.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Zach’s taste in games has been pretty shitty lately. He’s a shill now.
This game is going to rock…Can’t wait

Couldn’t agree more.

#10 1 year ago

Listening to Zach he sounds like perhaps many of us in thinking it’s so outrageous that it’s ridiculous…ly intriguing!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Couldn’t agree more.

LOL I'll be ordering from Flip N Out most likely if I get one. You guys kick ass

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Listening to Zach he sounds like perhaps many of us in thinking it’s so outrageous that it’s ridiculous…ly intriguing!

Good I hope so. How more pinheads aren’t sick of Sterns, I have no idea

#14 1 year ago

This one has peaked my interest. I think the theme sounds like it could be great. I like space themes. Attack from Mars is fantastic and I owned a Space Invaders before which I always thought was a cool theme. First game over the last couple years I might buy.

#15 1 year ago

A lot of people seem to be poo-pooing the teaser, which is apparently the first of at least 2 teasers - the second being next saturday. I actually like the music they are using which is about all you can glean from it. Pinball News seems to have a bit more info: https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2023/02/25/american-pinball-teases-game-5/

#16 1 year ago

Sneak peak at the LE from the K-man

Patreon post image (resized).pngPatreon post image (resized).png
#17 1 year ago

Ouch those sides are FUNKY!

Screenshot_20230226_185041_Patreon (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230226_185041_Patreon (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago

Or the WWE playfield. lol

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Sneak peak at the LE from the K-man[quoted image]

Wrestle mania pf, wonder what that’s about

C619DF7A-7100-465E-BE8D-D441C1457EFA.jpegC619DF7A-7100-465E-BE8D-D441C1457EFA.jpeg

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Wrestle mania pf, wonder what that’s about
[quoted image]

Said he didn't wanna spoil the playfield yet

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Said he didn't wanna spoil the playfield yet

Ahh, thanks.

This cabinet has a weird wheelchair vibe to me, but maybe it’ll look better when I see the whole thing

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from MUGEN_4_LIFE:

Ouch those sides are FUNKY!
[quoted image]

That cabinet is soooooo bad. I don’t know how anyone can think it looks good. Wow…

#23 1 year ago

Hard to tell with that leaked photo but the cabinet looks dope to me. Excited for the official reveal.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

That cabinet is soooooo bad. I don’t know how anyone can think it looks good. Wow…

Dennis has been shopping this game concept around for at least 7 years. The idea is that when you fold down the head it's supposed to look like a tank. The thing on top is the gun barrel.

Since absolutely no one stores their games with the head folded down I don't know why he loves the idea so much still, but there you have it.

I imagine the sides will be an optional accessory you could skip if it didn't appeal to you.

#25 1 year ago

I like the colors, teal blue and silver...So we got that going for us, which is noice

#26 1 year ago

He also posted this yesterday. If you can try to make it out through all the blur, you can see the playfield is very different here. 3 neon pop bumpers and it fits the theme much better

332519407_2188371171373021_3412746178429175257_n (resized).png332519407_2188371171373021_3412746178429175257_n (resized).png
#27 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

...So we got that going for us, which is noice

3FB29FDD-EDF1-456A-B889-FFDB331332CB.gif3FB29FDD-EDF1-456A-B889-FFDB331332CB.gif
#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Dennis has been shopping this game concept around for at least 7 years. The idea is that when you fold down the head it's supposed to look like a tank. The thing on top is the gun barrel.

I get all of that and have heard about it for a while. I don’t necessarily have an issue with the concept. It’s just that they executed it so poorly. I guess I was expecting a little more effort and something that looked more like a tank. That’s setting aside the fact that no one ever has the head down.

#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I get all of that and have heard about it for a while. I don’t necessarily have an issue with the concept. It’s just that they executed it so poorly. I guess I was expecting a little more effort and something that looked more like a tank. That’s setting aside the fact that no one ever has the head down.

It’s very possible he had something much more elaborate planned but due to economic practicality AP settled on this . Who knows ?

#30 1 year ago

Kaneda said the tank tread thing is only on the LE model. Imagine you also could just not attach them. It's just an odd addition

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from PalmettoPinworks:

He also posted this yesterday. If you can try to make it out through all the blur, you can see the playfield is very different here. 3 neon pop bumpers and it fits the theme much better
[quoted image]

looks like it'll look great next to Total Nuclear Annihilation.

#32 1 year ago

No more funky head shape!

#33 1 year ago

I'm really excited that all the people who say they want unlicensed themes will soon have another chance to not buy one again.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm really excited that all the people who say they want unlicensed themes will soon have another chance to not buy one again.

But maybe for legitimate reasons OTHER than the fact that it is an unlicensed theme. It’s got to be a good pin. Everyone points to Dialed In. Setting game play aside, it’s a bad unlicensed theme. You need a good unlicensed theme, something engaging, and good game play. If people don’t buy it then, I get your point.

#35 1 year ago

I am very interested

The sides look cool and it is something different. I did have the thought that it would have to be a game on an end row or by itself to see the sides of it.

I really like American and their build quality seems pretty solid. The problem for me in the past is bad design or theme that I am unable to connect with. Loved Houdini from announcement and wanted one bad-then I played one. Over and over I tried to like it but the narrow shots and 2 for one brick shots had me changing my mind(If only they made it a wide body). Hot Wheels was a great theme but fell short in gameplay and main toy was pretty weak. Legends of Valhalla plays ok and has good flow but the 3D printed toys and the theme just never did it for me(need something to draw me in). Now this game has me interested once again. TNA captured me immediately without any theme attraction because of layout, music/sounds and lighting combo(perfect package). Hoping GTF will peak my interest with unique layout, good sounds/music, and killer lighting. I want to buy an American Pinball machine someday and show my support-hoping this one is cool for me.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Licensed theme doesn't matter so much to me as long as you execute properly

- a good theme
- good artwork and video graphics
- fun layout mechs and good code

I would have liked Stern's JP just a much if it was called Dinosaur Rampage without the license

been waiting for AP to execute all those for me, this could be it

#37 1 year ago

The tank treads ain't doing it for me. I did hear they planned on a more elaborate kind of cabinet/setup for the tank aesthetic but it was just too costly so this is what they came up with.

Quoted from Krupps4:

But maybe for legitimate reasons OTHER than the fact that it is an unlicensed theme. It’s got to be a good pin. Everyone points to Dialed In. Setting game play aside, it’s a bad unlicensed theme. You need a good unlicensed theme, something engaging, and good game play. If people don’t buy it then, I get your point.

So just nobody has made a good playing game with an unlicensed theme (barring remakes and TNA) in the past 20 years and thats the reason they tend to not sell well?

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

So just nobody has made a good playing game with an unlicensed theme (barring remakes and TNA) in the past 20 years and thats the reason they tend to not sell well?

In my opinion, there are a few reasons why unlicensed themes don't really work.

1) There's nobody in pinball that can write as compelling of a narrative as you can get in any one of thousands of existing IPs.

And if there is....

2) It is cost prohibitive to develop a new narrative with enough content and depth to make it good and interesting for a pinball machine. You could of course build a game that isn't extremely deep and do well (TNA), but I think those are few and far between. Even then the TNA remake is still not sold out.

#39 1 year ago

I think once we achieve intergalactic travel the Tank will be obsolete. I dont want to spend 8k on that level of suspended disbelief. Which do you associate with fast and flowy, tanks or rockets? The combination of retro space theme and Tanks is shark jumping. Am I letting that bug me too much? Maybe, but if you want my money I gotta love it and for me this concept tanks.

#40 1 year ago

You're welcome.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I was going to say "'no, not like that' are inbound" but someone already posted a legit "no, not like that"

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

In my opinion, there are a few reasons why unlicensed themes don't really work.
1) There's nobody in pinball that can write as compelling of a narrative as you can get in any one of thousands of existing IPs.
And if there is....
2) It is cost prohibitive to develop a new narrative with enough content and depth to make it good and interesting for a pinball machine. You could of course build a game that isn't extremely deep and do well (TNA), but I think those are few and far between. Even then the TNA remake is still not sold out.

I would add that the typical person buying pinball machines is going to see a lineup of them and they will naturally gravitate to things they know.

It's hard to jump in on a theme you may end up really liking vs buying a theme you know you really like/recognize

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Which pins are you referring to?

#44 1 year ago

i collected vintage battery opp. space toys for many years..the space tanks are some of the most highly sought after of all the space toys..nothing to do with pins but this theme of space tanks is not jumping the sharks. even the colors used on this tank game look very much like the tin litho colors used back in the day.these photo's on pinside do not do justice to this game as far as looks go..sitting inside a larger arcade with the top down when not playing it becomes part of the art of your arcade not just another pin.have not played the finished model yet so i can't comment on that but the whitewood was a blast to play as i had a chance to play a while back

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I think once we achieve intergalactic travel the Tank will be obsolete. I dont want to spend 8k on that level of suspended disbelief. Which do you associate with fast and flowy, tanks or rockets? The combination of retro space theme and Tanks is shark jumping. Am I letting that bug me too much? Maybe, but if you want my money I gotta love it and for me this concept tanks.

So you were a hard pass on the Halo series?

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Which pins are you referring to?

Take your pick really. We got black knight SOR, DI, Houdini, Octoberfest, LOV, WOOLY, probably a few others I'm forgetting...

#47 1 year ago

So I'm guessing after the whole drama/falling out between Antionette and AP now Keri Hoskins has replaced her character in the game?

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Take your pick really. We got black knight SOR, DI, Houdini, Octoberfest, LOV, WOOLY, probably a few others I'm forgetting...

A lot of P3 stuff: Lexi Lightspeed, Cosmic Cart Racing, Heist, Drained, Cannon Lagoon (and then software games for those modules)

The Mafia, Cosmic Carnival, RAZA (it sold dozens of new preorders), Celts, Full Throttle. People are hyped for Punny Factory.

There's the MM/AFM/MB/CC remakes. The 2.0 kits for Funhouse and similar kinda scratch an-unlicensed-theme-with-modern-code itch

#49 1 year ago

I'm glad American Pinball is willing to try unlicensed themes

I do like retro scifi

#50 1 year ago

Sales is also tied to distribution. AP doesn't have as wide as distribution as others. The biggest dealer down here doesn't carry AP at all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 7,248 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 145.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ap-s-galactic-tank-force-gtf-speculation-hype-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.