1 (resized).png
Img3 (resized).png
Img2 (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
DXT (resized).png
font (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

17 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 112.
#2401 6 years ago

Pretty interesting project! Is it possible to export the images in a standard format that other editors do know (jpg, png...)?

#2402 6 years ago
Quoted from blindpeser:

Pretty interesting project! Is it possible to export the images in a standard format that other editors do know (jpg, png...)?

unfortunately, no

2 weeks later
#2403 6 years ago

Pinball Browser v6 is now available

I've been working on this version for several months because some features were much more complicated than expected (like being able to open Aerosmith or dealing with firmwares greater than 4Gb).
The list of new features is detailed below and the FAQ has also been updated.
Pinball Browser v5 users will need a new license to use this version.

It can be downloaded here.

Happy mod !

What's new in v6 ?

User interface
- To simplify the interface, several functions have been added in dropdown menus. For example, there is now a 'Last Recent Used' menu; you'll find it right to the 'Open' button.
- This kind of menu has also been added for images, sounds and macros.
- The image editor can now easily walk through the dmd frames (buttons "Next/Previous").
- Links to FAQ, Pinside and EMail have been added.
- No need to wait for the key to be sent by email after you have donated : you can now just click on 'Register' to unlock Pinball Browser.

Sounds
- The sound export feature is back (it was not developped when Pinball Browser v5 engine has been totaly rewritten).
- It is now possible to adjust the volume of a sound script (no need to export&import anymore).
- The sound-fragments can be listed (inside a sound-script). This is usefull to understand which sound-scripts share the same portion of a sound. You can also search for sound fragements by entering 0fXXX in the bookmark field (this will be reminded to you when you fly the mouse over this field).
- The sound decoder performance has been improved (example on my computer for script 0x578 in Ghostbusters img : 18s before the sound starts with v5, 2s with v6 !).

Spike support
- Pinball Browser can open the new SPK format for firmares greater than 4Gb (*.00x files).
It will extract the .SPK from the .00x files so that Pinball Browser can open it.
When you are ready to upgrade your game, Pinball Browser will compact the .SPK file to .00x so that you can copy them to a USB stick; this is necessary because FAT formatted sticks cannot hold files greater than 4Gb.
- It is now possible to read/save an image file from/to the game SD card. In fact, this is the best method to open a Spike firmware with Pinball Browser (.SPK files don't contain everything; only what has been modified in a new version).
- Realtime values (scores, adjustment) can now be modified on some games.

Firmwares
- Pinball Browser is now compatible with new game versions (BAT 0.7, Aerosmith, ...).
- There is a firmware "Quick Load" feature : the second time your open a firmware, it's far quicker (Ghostbusters : 1st time:20s, 2nd time:5s).
- There is a new function to download the latest Stern firmwares directly from Pinball Browser.

Macros
- There is an online macro repository where users can share their mods. Everyone can read the macros but only the owner of a macro can modify it. This repository is currently empty because I'm not good at modifying games animations or sounds... It is up to you to fill it up !
- A differential macro can be automatically generated for highscores.

Misc
Fix for Whitestar dmd.
Fix in image groups (Williams).
Fix for imported undersampled sounds that were too fast (Sam and Spike).

#2405 6 years ago

Can someone perhaps open the Aerosmith code to see if there is any embedded or unused music files?

May give us an idea if there is anything that can be used down the line for a future code update.

#2406 6 years ago

So awesome......

#2407 6 years ago

Incredible! Can't wait to upload to the repository! Great Idea.

#2408 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

- Pinball Browser can open the new SPK format for firmares greater than 4Gb (*.00x files).
It will extract the .SPK from the .00x files so that Pinball Browser can open it.
When you are ready to upgrade your game, Pinball Browser will compact the .SPK file to .00x so that you can copy them to a USB stick; this is necessary because FAT formatted sticks cannot hold files greater than 4Gb.

And that looks like you just earned yourself another donation, because this is the exact feature I was waiting for. Happy Happy!

#2409 6 years ago

Awesome work
can i report 2 bugs.

1. If you dont have ffmpeg and you open the video tab for a spike video, (using the SW rom) it warns you that you dont have ffmpeg with that little pop up window. and without pressing anything it will pop up another windows, and another, and another. By the time i could open task manager to end the app there where 25 windows. Of course this is fixed now with ffmeg in there! but still a bug

2. When you use that drop down in the video menu the numbers are everythere, not in order. Not sure if its meant to be like that. When you press a number, say '4' to look for videos start with 4 you get an exception thrown.

2 weeks later
#2410 6 years ago

I hope it's ok to ask this basic question, but I don't want to read all the 49 pages: I am thinking of using PB for SW. So let's say I make some changes on the latest code, what happens when Stern releases a new code? Do I have to make my changes again? Or does it somehow apply to a new code? Or if I want to go back to the original code, how do I do that? Anything I should not do to avoid completely crashing the pinball machine? Thanks for some basic advise

#2411 6 years ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

I hope it's ok to ask this basic question, but I don't want to read all the 49 pages: I am thinking of using PB for SW. So let's say I make some changes on the latest code, what happens when Stern releases a new code? Do I have to make my changes again? Or does it somehow apply to a new code? Or if I want to go back to the original code, how do I do that? Anything I should not do to avoid completely crashing the pinball machine? Thanks for some basic advise

Each new code release will require you to make the changes again. However if you save all your initial changes to the Macros and just reapply them it will save you a lot of time. Always keep an extra copy of the current code saved if you want to reinstall the factory code.

#2412 6 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Each new code release will require you to make the changes again. However if you save all your initial changes to the Macros and just reapply them it will save you a lot of time. Always keep an extra copy of the current code saved if you want to reinstall the factory code.

That was fast. Thanks! I'm going to install it and try it out.

2 weeks later
#2413 6 years ago

While updating the new KISS code 1.3.0 I've found what appears to be a wall created by Stern to stop PB customizers. I downloaded the latest code and customized it to my previous version (1.28). Installed the code and everything seemed the same. However, after the update I decided to make a couple more tweaks to the code and attempted to reinstall the latest code again. I'm greeted by the message "UPDATE COMPLETE. REMOVE USB FLASH DRIVE AND CYCLE POWER". WTF?????? I defaulted the machine and tried again. NOTHING! I then tried to install an older code version in hopes of then reinstalling the new code with my preferred changes. NOTHING! It appears that once a new code is installed Stern has bricked the machine and no further code installations are possible. It seems you get one chance and one chance only to modify your code with each new update. Unless I'm missing something this appears to be a HUGE "F**K YOU" to us PB customizers. This from a company that strips playfields, tells us that chipped clear and ghosting are normal, sends out splitting cabinets, raises prices, asks its customers to beg for the chance to pay for a $15000 machine and bans its customers from its FB page for asking about code progress. Has anyone else run into this issue? Hopefully I'm wrong or there is a way around this crap.

IMAG0520 (resized).jpgIMAG0520 (resized).jpg

#2414 6 years ago

and no further code installations are possible

Being more specific:
Cannot update to the same or an earlier revision. You can still update to later revisions.

#2415 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Being more specific:
Cannot update to the same or an earlier revision. You can still update to later revisions.

Correct.

#2416 6 years ago

The problem here is that we're not likely going to see updated Kiss code . . . unless Stern does a "final" bug fix, but that wouldn't be anytime soon.

#2417 6 years ago

The big problem I have with it is that PB can be a kind of trial and error. Especially with KISS where most of us are modifying almost every song in the machine. Depending on where the source material comes from many of the songs can have different volumes. And you never really know how they're going sound until you get them in the machine and try them. It's damn near impossible to get them right the first time. Each tweak requires the code to be installed again. The way Stern seems to have it set up now is you can only install new code one time. If you screw something up you're stuck with it? If you buy a modified machine you can't restore the factory code? IMO it's a BIG problem. Each new day seems to bring more BS from this company. I've bought 2 machines and I'm DONE!!

#2418 6 years ago

I really hope there is a way around this. I updated to 1.30 assuming I could use PB to modify the songs later.

#2419 6 years ago

The big problem I have with it is that PB can be a kind of trial and error. Especially with KISS where most of us are modifying almost every song in the machine. Depending on where the source material comes from many of the songs can have different volumes. And you never really know how they're going sound until you get them in the machine and try them. It's damn near impossible to get them right the first time. Each tweak requires the code to be installed again. The way Stern seems to have it set up now is you can only install new code one time. If you screw something up you're stuck with it? If you buy a modified machine you can't restore the factory code? IMO it's a BIG problem. Each new day seems to bring more BS from this company. I've bought 2 machines and I'm DONE!!

If I follow what you are saying that is BS from Stern. Keep us posted if you figure it out. Would suck to not be able to go back to an older code or an updated custom version of the current t code. Seriously, why does Stwrn care...they can't even update code timely or fix bugs in their own games. Figure that would be happy if someone fixed their stuff for free and get a few more sales out of it.

Maybe PB can "crack" it so we can add updates or install earlier code.

#2420 6 years ago

It appears that once a new code is installed Stern has bricked the machine and no further code installations are possible

Do you really mean that your machine is bricked (you can't play anymore) or just that you can't downgrade or reinstall the same firmware ?

I am pretty sure that Stern didn't make it on purpose :
1- I'm not surprised that they prevent downgrades : the .spk are incremental files and it would be difficult to keep data integrity. I'm just surprised they didn't do it earlier. However, I can't see any good reason to prevent the reinstallation of the same version (it could just be a typo in the code that compares the versions : something like '<' instead of '<=' )
2- blocking the use of PB by bricking the games would be a very bad move : unsatisfied customers, a lot of calls to their aftersale service, ...

Anyway, there might be a workaround
You can still modify the game with PB by directly opening its SD card (as mentionned here in the 'Spike support' section and in the FAQ, it is the best method) :
- You can use the disk images tools in PB (SmartDmd tab) to read and write the SD card. You can also use the "Read from xxx" function in the dropdown menu right to the "Open firmware" button.
- To be safe, use a different SD card when you save your modified firmware (and keep the original SD card in a safe place).

Let me know how it works.

#2421 6 years ago

While updating the new KISS code 1.3.0 I've found what appears to be a wall created by Stern to stop PB customizers. I downloaded the latest code and customized it to my previous version (1.28). Installed the code and everything seemed the same. However, after the update I decided to make a couple more tweaks to the code and attempted to reinstall the latest code again. I'm greeted by the message "UPDATE COMPLETE. REMOVE USB FLASH DRIVE AND CYCLE POWER". WTF?????? I defaulted the machine and tried again. NOTHING! I then tried to install an older code version in hopes of then reinstalling the new code with my preferred changes. NOTHING! It appears that once a new code is installed Stern has bricked the machine and no further code installations are possible. It seems you get one chance and one chance only to modify your code with each new update. Unless I'm missing something this appears to be a HUGE "F**K YOU" to us PB customizers. This from a company that strips playfields, tells us that chipped clear and ghosting are normal, sends out splitting cabinets, raises prices, asks its customers to beg for the chance to pay for a $15000 machine and bans its customers from its FB page for asking about code progress. Has anyone else run into this issue? Hopefully I'm wrong or there is a way around this crap.

I've had no issues. When the update is complete, pull the USB and shut off the game and turn it back on.

#2422 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

Do you really mean that your machine is bricked (you can't play anymore) or just that you can't downgrade or reinstall the same firmware ?
I am pretty sure that Stern didn't make it on purpose :
1- I'm not surprised that they prevent downgrades : the .spk are incremental files and it would be difficult to keep data integrity. I'm just surprised they didn't do it earlier. However, I can't see any good reason to prevent the reinstallation of the same version (it could just be a typo in the code that compares the versions : something like '<' instead of '<=' )
2- blocking the use of PB by bricking the games would be a very bad move : unsatisfied customers, a lot of calls to their aftersale service, ...
Anyway, there might be a workaround
You can still modify the game with PB by directly opening its SD card (as mentionned here in the 'Spike support' section and in the FAQ, it is the best method) :
- You can use the disk images tools in PB (SmartDmd tab) to read and write the SD card. You can also use the "Read from xxx" function in the dropdown menu right to the "Open firmware" button.
- To be safe, use a different SD card when you save your modified firmware (and keep the original SD card in a safe place).
Let me know how it works.

No it is not "bricked". Thank you for the correction. I just am unable to reinstall the same (current) version of firmware as before. First time this has ever happened.

#2423 6 years ago

OK quick follow up. I bought a new, larger flash drive and I was able to update and reinstall the current code without any problems. However, all my high scores are missing the last digit. I double checked my custom high scores with PB and the last digit is there. Any reason for this? Also, do flash drives have a limit on the number of times you can use them? Seems every code install problem I've had is with flash drives that used to work fine but now for some reason are either buggy or don't work at all. All drives are formatted before use each time.

#2424 6 years ago

OK quick follow up. I bought a new, larger flash drive and I was able to update and reinstall the current code without any problems.

So, in other words, Stern wasn't out to get you.

#2425 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

So, in other words, Stern wasn't out to get you.

No. However I stand by my statement regarding Stern's recent QC issues, business practices and PR management. Unfortunately sometimes it's hard not to assume the worst when dealing with Stern.

#2426 6 years ago

However, all my high scores are missing the last digit. I double checked my custom high scores with PB and the last digit is there

If I remember well, the high scores are divided by 10 on some games.
Can you check the high scores you have not modified in PB (or with a fresh stock firmware) ?

#2427 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

If I remember well, the high scores are divided by 10 on some games.
Can you check the high scores you have not modified in PB (or with a fresh stock firmware) ?

Sure thing. Ill report back.

#2428 6 years ago

does anyone have the macros/instructions on how to make this work with ACDC? I know pinball mike first did it but he cant find his files. If someone else has them and could message me that would be awesome.

#2429 6 years ago

Default high scores from current KISS code 1.30.0

highscores (resized).jpghighscores (resized).jpg

#2430 6 years ago

No. However I stand by my statement regarding Stern's recent QC issues, business practices and PR management. Unfortunately sometimes it's hard not to assume the worst when dealing with Stern.

Interesting. I've never had anything but quality service from them.

#2431 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Interesting. I've never had anything but quality service from them.

There's numerous threads detailing their cost cutting, poor QC and terrible customer service. Small problems aren't the issue and Chas is wonderful to deal with. I didn't mean to derail this thread with my rant. Back to PB!!

#2432 6 years ago

Default high scores from current KISS code 1.30.0

So, the scores are divided by 10 on the game compared to PB :
Grand Champion is 75,000,000 on the game and 750,000,000 in PB

#2433 6 years ago
Quoted from oga83:

So, the scores are divided by 10 on the game compared to PB...

Combo score too, 150 combos would be insane on Kiss. 15 is tough but beatable.

#2434 6 years ago

There's numerous threads detailing their cost cutting, poor QC and terrible customer service. Small problems aren't the issue and Chas is wonderful to deal with. I didn't mean to derail this thread with my rant. Back to PB!!

Yes, I know there are threads on here about Stern's QC. A few vocal people on Pinside does not a trend make.

#2435 6 years ago

Maybe a dumb question but would this ever be considered to be compatible with Jersey Jack games like Dialed in? I think the idea of being able to freshen up the multi media on games is incredible.

#2436 6 years ago

I had a PM from someone who can't succeed to upgrade Aerosmith with a Pinball-Browser-modified .spk firmware.
Does anyone else had similar issues with this game ?

#2437 6 years ago

Does this work with JJP games?

#2438 6 years ago

No. Stern Sam, spike, white star and wpc
See first post for faq

Quoted from FlippyD:

Does this work with JJP games?

1 week later
#2439 6 years ago

Is there an easy way to change out video if I'm making a custom game? I understand how to go in and change a few images, but with 16,000+ images on Kiss it seems like it would be a big task to recreate images to string together and make a video.

#2440 6 years ago

Is there any place to DL customized Pinball Browser ROMs? I'm having fun playing with the program and my Star Trek but besides the few soundtrack ROMs in the ST thread I can't find any other custom ROMs, and I am sure that people have probably done some bad ass stuff with this.

If I ever get gud (and get time) I'd love to make a Star Trek Beyond ROM!

#2441 6 years ago

Same question. Is there a sharing community space for this? I made a new Metallica (75% done) rom with new music and titles. I want to see what others did and are doing!

2 weeks later
#2442 6 years ago

@oga83, I used v6.00 to save the image off my Star Wars Pro SD card onto my harddrive. I named it star_wars_pro-0_89_0.img. However, when I try to open it in Pinball Browser, I get the error message "Unknown firmware !" Did I do something wrong?

#2443 6 years ago

@oga83, nevermind, it works great now. I had accidentally pulled an image off of another SD card that inserted in my multi-card reader at the same time.

#2444 6 years ago

Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to Pinball Browser! Just used it to add additional soundtrack to my Star Wars pin and edit a voice clip that was getting annoying. Really looking forward to using it more in the future to customize the game further. Great work oga83 !!!

#2445 6 years ago

I just got a Kiss LE which had NOT been updated with the newest 1.30 code. So I downloaded that code and then used pinball browser to change the songs. I took a flash drive and formatted clean using the FAT32 format, and copied the files. I then got it to see the file, it ran through the update, but at the end it said failed. I am trying it again, but any suggestions or ideas of what went wrong?

#2446 6 years ago

also when you save the pinball browser file usin the floppy disk icon at the top right, where on the computer does it save?

#2447 6 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I just got a Kiss LE which had NOT been updated with the newest 1.30 code. So I downloaded that code and then used pinball browser to change the songs. I took a flash drive and formatted clean using the FAT32 format, and copied the files. I then got it to see the file, it ran through the update, but at the end it said failed. I am trying it again, but any suggestions or ideas of what went wrong?

The 1.30 firmware is bigger than 4Gb. The game can only read FAT32 usb sticks and such a big file can't be used.
That's the reason why it is splitted in 2 files by Stern (.000 and .001).
When Pinball Browser opens these files, it extracts the .spk file in which your changes will be saved (songs, images, ...).
However, you can't use this .spk file to upgrade your game (because it's bigger than 4Gb) : You have to convert it back to .000 and .001 files.
To do this, use the "Pack firmware for USB stick" (click on the arrow on the right of the Open button). This can't be done automatically because it takes time.
Copy the .000 and .001 file on your USB stick and upgrade the game with them.

In brief :
- Open the .000 file with Pinball Browser
- Work on the .spk file
- Once you're done, use the "Pack firmware for USB stick"
- Upgrade your game with the new .000 and .001 files.

As explained in the FAQ, instead of using the .000/.001/.spk files, it is better to work on a game SD card image.

Quoted from cscmtp:

also when you save the pinball browser file usin the floppy disk icon at the top right, where on the computer does it save?

It depends on the game. For Spike, you don't need to use it : it just signs the firmware which is done automatically anyway.
When you open a Spike firmware, you have a popup message that says "Every modification you make on this firmware is immediately written to the file". If you want to work on a different file, use the Windows explorer to copy it.

#2448 6 years ago

got it working. Thanks for all you do oga83, I've donated a few times now since my old PC died, but you are worth every penny! LOVE being able to change my songs on my Met Prem and now this Kiss LE. Keep up the awesome work friend!!!

1 week later
#2449 6 years ago

HOW HAS NO ONE USED THIS FOR TRANSFORMERS YET???

Titans-Return-Soundwave-040 (resized).jpgTitans-Return-Soundwave-040 (resized).jpg

#2450 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

HOW HAS NO ONE USED THIS FOR TRANSFORMERS YET???

unfortunately, other than a handful of titles (ac/dc, metallica, mustang) there simply isn't enough available memory to do a title justice

trust me, a bunch of us were all "gung ho!" when this software was initially launched (go back and read the thread from the start). heck, echovictor even purchased a TF to specifically colorize that title

I created a detailed guide on how to use the software, but the truth of the matter is that even with all of the wonderful changes that olivier made to the software from the beginning, it is just not possible to fully colorize the titles due to the way that the roms are modified and use up the extra, un-used memory (that memory goes quickly)

ps
hey damone, if you wouldn't have been so busy scalping concert tickets and trying to bang stacy, you'd know this!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 68.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling
Decorations
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 96.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
17,945 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball
Decorations
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Carol Stream, IL
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 18.95
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop
Backbox
$ 96.00
Lighting - Interactive
ArcadeMade
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,560 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images/page/49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.