• 3,044 posts
  • 496 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 628 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 251 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ac-dc 0x6A7.jpg
Pinball Browser Not Showing BIN Files (resized).JPG
show hidden files (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
low pass (resized).jpg
original puppy (resized).png
GOT (resized).png
PBv660 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Error (resized).JPG
FJIMG_20181003_182533 (resized).jpg
15385256037278371713977979636364 (resized).jpg
15385255150454566123597227618658 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180927_084514260 (resized).jpg
Pinball Browser GoTG High Scores edit (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

24 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #1 Description of capabilities and download link. Posted by oga83 (5 years ago)

Post #300 List of Metallica song request locations and lengths. Posted by DugFreez (5 years ago)

Post #600 How to find the names of the lamp matrix locations. Posted by oga83 (5 years ago)

Post #858 Video on how to replace a song. Posted by Underspin (5 years ago)

Post #1058 Tron song and sound effect locations. Posted by tomdotcom (5 years ago)

Post #1072 Link to Star Trek sound information. Posted by nosro (5 years ago)

Post #1083 Spiderman sound information Posted by jamescardona (5 years ago)

Post #1203 Full length song locations for Metallica v1.51 Posted by RobertWinter (4 years ago)

Post #1432 Macro function explained. Posted by oga83 (4 years ago)

Post #1798 Kiss sounds information link. Posted by colonelsnow (3 years ago)

Post #1882 FAQ covering Pinball Browser and SmartDmd. Posted by oga83 (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thundergod76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1844 3 years ago

Tried to download latest version and my computer says it contains a virus and deletes the download. Am I doing something wrong?

#1877 3 years ago

Thanks so much Oga and everyone who added to this thread!!VIDEO0084_0000022515_1.jpg

#1883 3 years ago

When I updated to 5.01 from 5.0 my computer just added the new version but kept the old one. Now I have both versions. Can I just delete 5.0?? Thanks!! I'm using wma 192kps files. Are those sufficient for sound quality? Should I try lossless files?

#1888 3 years ago

Anyone know what this means when I run Macros? Thanks.

IMAG0642.jpg

#1890 3 years ago

Thanks Sir!

1 week later
#1900 3 years ago

Does anyone know what request number is used for the brief end of game music for KISS ? I know it's Rock and Roll All Nite. But that title is listed 3x I think in the code. Not sure which one I need to change. Thanks.

#1902 3 years ago

Copyright issues.

2 months later
#1964 3 years ago

That's awesome! Congrats!

1 week later
#1983 3 years ago

Does anyone know a way to add more letters to the song titles? I'm swapping a song out on KISS and I'm one lousy letter short in the song title. Thanks.

3 months later
#2102 2 years ago

I've also noticed that if you set start time to skip for example the first 30 sec of a song, that 30 sec still counts towards the overall song length. PB just skips that 30 sec during playback. It would be nice to adjust the factory loop points. But still PB is the best mod in pinball!!

10 months later
#2351 1 year ago
Quoted from Krakatoa:

Anyone have any luck modifying their soundtrack for Aerosmith pro yet?
the code drop from Stern contained 2 files, named 'aerosmith-1_02_0.spk.002.000' and 'aerosmith-1_02_0.spk.002.001'.
The new version of Pinball Browser wouldn't recognize the files so i renamed them without the suffix, so that the names end in .spk.
The program now recognizes the files but I get an unknown exception error when trying to open them.
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

I'm having the same problem with the new Batman66 code. Could this be Stern's way of keeping us from using PB?

3 months later
3 weeks later
#2411 1 year ago
Quoted from tatapolus:

I hope it's ok to ask this basic question, but I don't want to read all the 49 pages: I am thinking of using PB for SW. So let's say I make some changes on the latest code, what happens when Stern releases a new code? Do I have to make my changes again? Or does it somehow apply to a new code? Or if I want to go back to the original code, how do I do that? Anything I should not do to avoid completely crashing the pinball machine? Thanks for some basic advise

Each new code release will require you to make the changes again. However if you save all your initial changes to the Macros and just reapply them it will save you a lot of time. Always keep an extra copy of the current code saved if you want to reinstall the factory code.

2 weeks later
#2413 1 year ago

While updating the new KISS code 1.3.0 I've found what appears to be a wall created by Stern to stop PB customizers. I downloaded the latest code and customized it to my previous version (1.28). Installed the code and everything seemed the same. However, after the update I decided to make a couple more tweaks to the code and attempted to reinstall the latest code again. I'm greeted by the message "UPDATE COMPLETE. REMOVE USB FLASH DRIVE AND CYCLE POWER". WTF?????? I defaulted the machine and tried again. NOTHING! I then tried to install an older code version in hopes of then reinstalling the new code with my preferred changes. NOTHING! It appears that once a new code is installed Stern has bricked the machine and no further code installations are possible. It seems you get one chance and one chance only to modify your code with each new update. Unless I'm missing something this appears to be a HUGE "F**K YOU" to us PB customizers. This from a company that strips playfields, tells us that chipped clear and ghosting are normal, sends out splitting cabinets, raises prices, asks its customers to beg for the chance to pay for a $15000 machine and bans its customers from its FB page for asking about code progress. Has anyone else run into this issue? Hopefully I'm wrong or there is a way around this crap.

IMAG0520 (resized).jpg

#2415 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Being more specific:
Cannot update to the same or an earlier revision. You can still update to later revisions.

Correct.

#2417 1 year ago

The big problem I have with it is that PB can be a kind of trial and error. Especially with KISS where most of us are modifying almost every song in the machine. Depending on where the source material comes from many of the songs can have different volumes. And you never really know how they're going sound until you get them in the machine and try them. It's damn near impossible to get them right the first time. Each tweak requires the code to be installed again. The way Stern seems to have it set up now is you can only install new code one time. If you screw something up you're stuck with it? If you buy a modified machine you can't restore the factory code? IMO it's a BIG problem. Each new day seems to bring more BS from this company. I've bought 2 machines and I'm DONE!!

#2422 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Do you really mean that your machine is bricked (you can't play anymore) or just that you can't downgrade or reinstall the same firmware ?
I am pretty sure that Stern didn't make it on purpose :
1- I'm not surprised that they prevent downgrades : the .spk are incremental files and it would be difficult to keep data integrity. I'm just surprised they didn't do it earlier. However, I can't see any good reason to prevent the reinstallation of the same version (it could just be a typo in the code that compares the versions : something like '<' instead of '<=' )
2- blocking the use of PB by bricking the games would be a very bad move : unsatisfied customers, a lot of calls to their aftersale service, ...
Anyway, there might be a workaround
You can still modify the game with PB by directly opening its SD card (as mentionned here in the 'Spike support' section and in the FAQ, it is the best method) :
- You can use the disk images tools in PB (SmartDmd tab) to read and write the SD card. You can also use the "Read from xxx" function in the dropdown menu right to the "Open firmware" button.
- To be safe, use a different SD card when you save your modified firmware (and keep the original SD card in a safe place).
Let me know how it works.

No it is not "bricked". Thank you for the correction. I just am unable to reinstall the same (current) version of firmware as before. First time this has ever happened.

#2423 1 year ago

OK quick follow up. I bought a new, larger flash drive and I was able to update and reinstall the current code without any problems. However, all my high scores are missing the last digit. I double checked my custom high scores with PB and the last digit is there. Any reason for this? Also, do flash drives have a limit on the number of times you can use them? Seems every code install problem I've had is with flash drives that used to work fine but now for some reason are either buggy or don't work at all. All drives are formatted before use each time.

#2425 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

So, in other words, Stern wasn't out to get you.

No. However I stand by my statement regarding Stern's recent QC issues, business practices and PR management. Unfortunately sometimes it's hard not to assume the worst when dealing with Stern.

#2427 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

If I remember well, the high scores are divided by 10 on some games.
Can you check the high scores you have not modified in PB (or with a fresh stock firmware) ?

Sure thing. Ill report back.

#2429 1 year ago

Default high scores from current KISS code 1.30.0

highscores (resized).jpg

#2431 1 year ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Interesting. I've never had anything but quality service from them.

There's numerous threads detailing their cost cutting, poor QC and terrible customer service. Small problems aren't the issue and Chas is wonderful to deal with. I didn't mean to derail this thread with my rant. Back to PB!!

2 months later
#2502 1 year ago

Have a question. After I download the Batman 66 update from Stern I have 2 files. After I unpack the files and make changes with PB I'm left with the 2 original files (.002), 1 large 3.80G file containing the altered code (.spk) and 1 dat file. I know not to bother with the .dat file. But what remaining file(s) should I being loading onto my USB for the code update? Just the larger 3.80G file? If there's updates to the node boards I want to make sure I'm loading them into my machine. Thanks!

1 month later
#2577 1 year ago

i guess it is on Message tab

Yes

1 month later
#2704 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Looks like Pinball Browser can't open the latest ACDC 1.70. I tried the PRO and LE roms and neither load with the latest pinball browser. The program just hangs and spins its wheels and you have to kill the process. 1.68 all variants load just fine.

I'm having a similar issue. When I upgraded to PB v6.2 I'm unable to open the latest BM66 firmware. It just "spins" and hangs there forever. Also, I made sure I copied the "ffmpeg" file from the previous version of PB v6.1. I've done this with previous PB versions and never had an issue. Yet I'm still getting the message asking me if I want to download the "ffmpeg" file to be able to view videos. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2707 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

Do you mean that you can open the latest BM66 firmware with an older version of Pinball Browser ?

I used to be able to but no longer. I download the file from Stern and unzip it. When I try to use PB to unpack there is only one small 1.86G file there. I know I unzipped the stern file correctly. There are 4 files there totaling 5.58G. When I click on the 1.86G file I get this error message...

IMAG0773 (resized).jpg

#2708 1 year ago

I download the code from Stern and unzip it correctly. I then update the factory SD card with the new code via USB. I use PB V6.2 to make an image of the SD card. When I try to open the SD image with PB V6.2 I keep getting the message asking me to install the "ffmpeg" file to view the videos even though I already have the "ffmpeg" file installed. Everything else works. If I try this method without using the SD I run into the above issues.

#2712 1 year ago
Quoted from oga83:

If the message is :
"ffmpeg.exe" or ffprobe.exe" not found
you also need ffprobe.exe in the same directory.
Click Yes and you'll be directed to the FFMpeg web site.

I got it! I needed to install all 3 files (ffmpeg, ffplay & ffprobe) into PB v6.2 to view videos. For some reason I only needed to install the ffmpeg file in PB v6.1 to view videos.

1 week later
#2745 11 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

If I am changing the custom message and need a carriage return to separate the lines, how do I enter it? Is the pipe symbol changed by PB to the proper hex code?

I just change mine in the Stern setup menu without using PB.

1 month later
#2788 9 months ago
Quoted from BigBangBack:

So install 1.05 into the game, then work off the image that's created on the sd card?

Install the latest code. Use PB to make a copy of the factory sd. Make your changes and copy that image on a new sd card. Use the new (modified) sd card in your pin. Always save the factory sd card as a backup.

2 months later
#2815 7 months ago

oga83 How close are we to being able to swap out video clips in the Spike 2 system?

1 month later
#2854 5 months ago

While writing my modified Batman 66 image to a formatted SD I keep getting this message. Never happened before. If I click continue, the process just hangs and never completes. Any ideas?

IMAG1130 (resized).jpg

#2858 5 months ago
Quoted from Brootull:

Write protected disk? Administrative rights?

I found the problem. Windows 10 is creating multiple partitions for the SD card. And these partitions are not large enough for the file. I'm using a 16GB Sandisk. I'm currently trying to learn how to create a single SD partition so this doesn't happen again. If anyone has some insight it would be appreciated.

#2861 5 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

You don't have, and should not, format your SD card.
The image file (.img) has to be written on the SD card with the "Disk Image" function in Pinball Browser (SmartDmd tab) or an image writer software like DiskImager.
See "How do I open a Spike firmware ?" in the FAQ

I always use the Disk Image "write to SD" tab in PB. As soon as I deleted one of the partitions there was enough room. What I don't understand is why when I insert my SD card multiple windows pop up telling me that I need to format each one. These windows are drives labeled F, G, H, I and J. All I want is my entire 16G SD card to read on a single drive. Never had this problem with Windows 7.

3 weeks later
#2877 4 months ago
Quoted from oga83:

Sorry, I should have noticed this on your screenshot...

You can prevent Windows from opening these partitions by holding the "Shift" key while inserting the SD card.
For a permanent solution, you can disable "Auto Play" for memory cards in the control panel.

Holding the Shift key does not stop these partitions from being created. Auto Play is set to off. Last BM66 update I just bought a new SD card. Now with the latest update (0.95) I'm back to square one. Multiple partitions being created in Windows 10 and each one is too small to support the image. With all the frequent updates to BM66 this is getting really frustrating. Do I need to buy a new SD card every time there's a new update???

#2879 4 months ago

I do have Auto Play turned off. But the partitions are still there. Is this something that needs to be done before the SD card is partitioned?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
$ 224.99
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
Magazines/books
The Flipper Room
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thundergod76.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside